Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,943 members, 7,810,614 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:07 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (14793) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11597851 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14790) (14791) (14792) (14793) (14794) (14795) (14796) ... (16122) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:23pm On Jul 04, 2023
Barryseal:

Listen, when profiling a player, look beyond nationality if you can, possibly remove all personal bias.
Bassey has a decent profile, in terms of age and position CB/LB. Beyond that, he is found wanting in very key areas. He lacks discipline and his technique is very suspect. Ajax got him to replace Martinez and you can see the drop off in quality.
You must be one of the jokers who thought Okoye was going to be decent at Watford because he's Nigerian.. Lol
two seasons prior to Okoye’s exit from Sparta Rotterdam can you mention top 5 goal minders in the Dutch top tier?

Okoye put up good performances that even attracted the biggest teams in Holland before he opted for watford

Stop painting it as if the move was offered to him on a platter of gold or maybe because he is German born. Whatever he is passing through now many players hv experienced it and still bounced back

Use your head for once

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 2:05pm On Jul 04, 2023
BankyGee:

At last. Thank God grin cool grin
grin grin grin grin grin

You're wicked o

I've been noticing it since but I just ignore since we no dey English class and I perfectly understand everything.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by codemaniacs: 2:55pm On Jul 04, 2023
Philosopher1979:

It is a privately owned club
Founded 1 year ago by shola akinlade the co-founder of paystack
the club has a vision with an intention to change Nigerian football.
Quite exciting

How many divisions are in the NPFL?

How does a club founded 1 year ago take only 1 year to get promotion to the NPFL?

What is the true history of the club?

A club founded 1 year ago can never get promotion to the NPFL in 1 year unless there are only 2 divisions in the Nigerian league.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 3:08pm On Jul 04, 2023
codemaniacs:

How many divisions are in the NPFL?

How does a club founded 1 year ago take only 1 year to get promotion to the NPFL?

What is the true history of the club?

A club founded 1 year ago can never get promotion to the NPFL in 1 year unless there are only 2 divisions in the Nigerian league.

It's simple really.

1. We've had 2 professional seasons in the last one year. This season was abridged.

2. Yes, Sporting Lagos was founded in 2022. They however didn't start their journey from the Third or fourth tier of the league. What they did was to buy the spot of a club already in the NNL. It was exactly the same thing MFM did. It's more or less like a club take over, the difference however is you're buying the club spot and not necessarily the club structure. So they built theirs from the ground up.

3. They almost went on relegation in the NNL last season, but we're save by goal difference. This season however, they topped their group on the NNL, again edging Ijebu United who had same points with them on goal difference, thereby qualifying for the playoffs. The rest they say is history.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by codemaniacs: 3:10pm On Jul 04, 2023
lovewins:

It's simple really.

1. We've had 2 professional seasons in the last one year. This season was abridged.

2. Yes, Sporting Lagos was founded in 2022. They however didn't start their journey from the Third or fourth tier of the league. What they did was to buy the spot of a club already in the NNL. It was exactly the same thing MFM did. It's more or less like a club take over, the difference however is you're buying the club spot and not necessarily the club structure. So they built theirs from the ground up.

3. They almost went on relegation in the NNL last season, but we're save by goal difference. This season however, they topped their group on the NNL, again edging Ijebu United who had same points with them on goal difference, thereby qualifying for the playoffs. The rest they say is history.

Okay.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ppogbae: 3:27pm On Jul 04, 2023
charlesemeka85:
Ex super eagles striker Odion Jude Ighalo in talks with 2 Saudi clubs

Just when I thought I was out, they pulled me back in! grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 3:46pm On Jul 04, 2023
charlesemeka85:
because it didn’t work out for him at Ajax?

Na una go condemn quality but hype trash.

That Ajax team is toxic and the media in Holland haven’t been nice to the guy judging by the fact that he is in he’s first season with them

New country, league and style of play but you forget that it takes some players time to adapt to a new league and system

Letting him go after one season is one big mistake I knw Ajax will regret. Bassey is fast,robust and good on the ball so I believe that De Zerbi will bring out the best in him at Brighton if the deal goes through

Bassey has the qualities and in the right age to turn out to be a monstrous CB/LB in the nearest future

Bassey is a weaklink in that Ajax defense he’s one of the reason Ajax didn’t go far in the champions league

No let country man love for AM fool you. He’s average at best even was so poor that he even lost his starting spot and on big matches he makes second half appearances

No ever talk say Bassey na good defender for here

He’s one of the worse defender in recent years for Ajax

Bassey when no get awareness

He should stick to his LB because cb is not his calling epl will eat him raw

He can’t cut it in holland and you expect him to be a star in England

I honestly wish him success honestly but the criticism were due

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 3:47pm On Jul 04, 2023
charlesemeka85:
like say u knw good footballer if you see one 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

No be you sometime ago say Awaziem is super eagles best CB?🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Our cb matter tire me abeg

Make we go carry yobo come back
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 3:53pm On Jul 04, 2023
Barryseal:

He's not very good at football.

I don't think you know the player.

Tell me one reason why he is not good.
Just one reason .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 4:30pm On Jul 04, 2023
Kog45:
Barry I got your views on Bassey and I shared similar views.

In eagles I will pick Segunda Omeruo and Croatia Awaziem over Calvin Bassey.

Calvin Bassey is a Left Back. That's where Calvin Bassey is Calvin Bassey.

I remember how i still kept hope on Peseiro until i saw the pairing of Akpoguma and Bassey at CB. I couldn't just take it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 4:59pm On Jul 04, 2023
charlesemeka85:
sorry na ekong 🤣🤣🤣

My Guy hw far grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 5:26pm On Jul 04, 2023
typicalgamer:

Bassey is a weaklink in that Ajax defense he’s one of the reason Ajax didn’t go far in the champions league

No let country man love for AM fool you. He’s average at best even was so poor that he even lost his starting spot and on big matches he makes second half appearances

inability to change of coach on time was the reason they could not qualify for the ucl. They even had a chance to qualify during the last games but squandered their opportunities.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 5:30pm On Jul 04, 2023
Bassey, the reason Ajax did not go far in the Champions league?
Did you know why Brighton and now some Liverpool fans are calling for his signature?
It is easy to know football center local boys here! Which Champions league match did he cost Ajax to lose? Olodo!
typicalgamer:

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 5:47pm On Jul 04, 2023
typicalgamer:

I agree with you except this part "He can’t cut it in holland and you expect him to be a star in England "

is Holland better than Europa league that he reached the final with outstanding performances

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by eitsei(m): 6:24pm On Jul 04, 2023
the few times he played for super eagle he was horrible
typicalgamer:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:27pm On Jul 04, 2023
All Tijjani Babangida goals for the national team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ue0FqbDm0I

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 7:34pm On Jul 04, 2023
Our boys are putting in the work. Bassey, Ndidi, Omeruo and Sadiq are realling putting in a lot of work. Chukwueze, Simon, Oshimen, and Iheanacho are all over the place been irresponsible!
A club like Milan is trying to sign you yet you are all over Nigeria roaming about (Chukwueze).
I have not seen any Oshimen gym video or picture just roaming about with those local content creators (classless). To maintain consistent form/success you have to work harder than you have been doing.

My opinion is that Ndidi, Iheanacho, Aribo and Onuachu should remain in the championship instead of qoing to Turkey or Scotland.
Stay one year and bring your team back to the premier league. I am optimistic that their qualities will show through in the championship. Iheanacho might score 40 goals in that league.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 7:44pm On Jul 04, 2023
Marjoribanks:
Our boys are putting in the work. Bassey, Ndidi, Omeruo and Sadiq are realling putting in a lot of work. Chukwueze, Simon, Oshimen, and Iheanacho are all over the place been irresponsible!
A club like Milan is trying to sign you yet you are all over Nigeria roaming about (Chukwueze).
I have not seen any Oshimen gym video or picture just roaming about with those local content creators (classless). To maintain consistent form/success you have to work harder than you have been doing.

My opinion is that Ndidi, Iheanacho, Aribo and Onuachu should remain in the championship instead of qoing to Turkey or Scotland.
Stay one year and bring your team back to the premier league. I am optimistic that their qualities will show through in the championship. Iheanacho might score 40 goals in that league.
you know there is life away from football right? Let them enjoy their time before pre season starts.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 8:03pm On Jul 04, 2023
I think Bassey staying at Ajax should depend on the type of midfielders or a LRB they sign. Timber sabotaged Bassey a lot this past season.
Timber always expose Bassey to a lot of dangerous balls by cleverly removing himself from such situations and doesn't cover nor clean up most balls that Bassey misses. Timber knew Bassey is new and would try to impress therefore left the hard defending to him.
Or maybe it was unintentional cos Timber is accustomed to Lisandro Martínez doing all the hard work for him. Who knows?
Nevertheless, I am shocked that Arsenal wants to sign that guy!

I do think Bassey playing alongside an experience defender like Dunk at Brighton will do him a lot of good.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 10:06pm On Jul 04, 2023
Na only Nigerians dey blame another player for the shortcomings of their favourite.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 10:50pm On Jul 04, 2023
Marjoribanks:
I think Bassey staying at Ajax should depend on the type of midfielders or a LRB they sign. Timber sabotaged Bassey a lot this past season.
Timber always expose Bassey to a lot of dangerous balls by cleverly removing himself from such situations and doesn't cover nor clean up most balls that Bassey misses. Timber knew Bassey is new and would try to impress therefore left the hard defending to him.
Or maybe it was unintentional cos Timber is accustomed to Lisandro Martínez doing all the hard work for him. Who knows?
Nevertheless, I am shocked that Arsenal wants to sign that guy!

I do think Bassey playing alongside an experience defender like Dunk at Brighton will do him a lot of good.
Stop this na, everyone knows Bassey had a bad season

why didn't Timber sabotage Martinez?

And Bassey is not a bad player, he just had a bad season

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:56pm On Jul 04, 2023
Done and sealed

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:56pm On Jul 04, 2023
mostob:
Na only Nigerians dey blame another player for the shortcomings of their favourite.
dry

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 12:00am On Jul 05, 2023
maidaboi:
I agree with you except this part "He can’t cut it in holland and you expect him to be a star in England "

is Holland better than Europa league that he reached the final with outstanding performances

Amen 🙏 my bro
I hope he has an osimehn season with Brighton
That’s my utmost desire
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 12:02am On Jul 05, 2023
Marjoribanks:
Bassey, the reason Ajax did not go far in the Champions league?
Did you know why Brighton and now some Liverpool fans are calling for his signature?
It is easy to know football center local boys here! Which Champions league match did he cost Ajax to lose? Olodo!

Oga what will I gain with his downfall
Forget patriotism and see the writings on the wall

Scotland is an always be an average league
He went to holland meet his mates and yansh open

Came to super E we saw how average he was

No stress me you average critic
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 12:06am On Jul 05, 2023
charlesemeka85:
Done and sealed

He has found his level

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 12:08am On Jul 05, 2023
maidaboi:

Excuse me he’s average joor see truth talk
Abeg
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 12:22am On Jul 05, 2023
Why are others bidding for him Oga, if him yansh open as na you be scout wey sabi?
typicalgamer:

Oga what will I gain with his downfall
Forget patriotism and see the writings on the wall

Scotland is an always be an average league
He went to holland meet his mates and yansh open

Came to super E we saw how average he was

No stress me you average critic
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 12:25am On Jul 05, 2023
This is why I do not argue with football center guys. Many analyst said the last season Ajax team is one of the worst in their history. You know how many players left with Martinez? How many matches did you watch? You go just come here dey yarn nonsense. MOTM against Liverpool in the Champions league and several MOTM in the league. He did is normal job but the expectation was too high cos of the amount he was bought for. Simple!
maidaboi:

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:28am On Jul 05, 2023
Shock move for Nwakali in the offing

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 12:36am On Jul 05, 2023
Those that are coaching at the highest level of football knows real talent not peeps wey dey no sabi kick ball nor watch soccer in real time.
Ajax agreed to pay that amount after Bassey performance in our friendlies in the United States. Go and rewatch those games and see crosses and passes Bassey was giving to Desser. Dessers missed several chances but the only one he scored was from Bassey's spectacular cross. Watch football and stop displaying your ignorance here. Even the Ajax coach said Bassey is their best defender on several interviews but decided to bench him cos of the unwarranted expectations from the fans. Simple.

Bassey with Dunk. Fireeeee!! Just 22 years old! In the next 3 years he is going to be one of the most expensive defenders in Europe. Mark this post!
Bassey is already putting in the work! Get ready for a phenomenon performance in the EPL!

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BankyGee(m): 12:43am On Jul 05, 2023
mostob:
grin grin grin grin grin

You're wicked o

I've been noticing it since but I just ignore since we no dey English class and I perfectly understand everything.
I've been waiting for the moment since last two months 😂😂😂

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (14790) (14791) (14792) (14793) (14794) (14795) (14796) ... (16122) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: do4luv14(m) and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.