Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,518 members, 7,865,164 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 01:16 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (14994) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11956966 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (14991) (14992) (14993) (14994) (14995) (14996) (14997) ... (16372) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:01pm On Sep 12, 2023
Marjoribanks:
At 22 years (1986) where was Yekini! At 22 years Oshimen was already one of the best strikers in the world (AFON and World Cup qualifiers highest goal scorer) but missed the AFCON through injuries. At 20 years, Oshimen already had AFCON bronze.

At 24 years, he has achieved what Yekini could only dreamed of! At this stage of Yekini's life he can't lace Oshimen's shoe. And what Oshimen will achieve in the future will only be a pipe dream for Yekini.

Nigeria did not feature at the 1986 AFCON. At 20 Yekini was the leading striker in Shooting stars and featured at the 1984 AFCON. There were just a handful of African players playing in Europe as at then. Note that AFCONs of the 80s and 1990 had only 8 teams and hence less matches compared to now. 1992 AFCON had 12 teams of 4 groups. 16 team AFCON started in 1996. The more the number of games the more the number of goals scored by players. Most of the AFCONs Yekini featured had only 8 teams with maximum of 5 games. Yet he emersed a total of 37 career goals. Meaning if we had 16 or 24 teams like we have today, Yekini could have scored a lot more.

Osimhen has already featured in one AFCON which is the 2019 edition. He missed out on the 2021/22 edition due to injury, just like Yekini missed out of the 1986 edition because we didn't qualify. Yekini came back smoking in the 1988 AFCON, let's see what Osimhen will do at the 2024 AFCON.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 4:02pm On Sep 12, 2023
charlesemeka85:
who is Curtis?

Hope u re not referring to 50 cent 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Jones plays for Liverpool 😂😂😂
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:04pm On Sep 12, 2023
oloriooko:
Update: Italy Is My First Choice... If They Don't Call, I Will Consider Nigeria's Super Eagles - Caleb Okoli Cries From Frosinone 🇳🇬🦅🙆🏿‍♂️

Caleb, born in Italy to Nigerian parents has made his intentions of choosing Nigeria known...😁 According to the defender, he will consider Nigeria of the Italian national team didn't come for him.🤦🏿‍♂️

He's waiting for Spalleti's Call-Up 😲

“I think I’m lucky to be able to play for two countries. I always talk to my parents about it,” Okoli said, per Napoli Magazine.

“For now, I’m thinking about playing and achieving the team goal, then the national team will be a consequence.

“I hope for a call from Spalletti and to play with the Italian national team, which is of the highest level in the future. if the call from Italy doesn’t arrive, I could make the decision on the Nigerian national team.”

#NPFLUpdates #WeReportYouDebunk
old news

It’s normal for these kids to lean towards their country of birth than us

Even those we managed to convince once had hopes of playing for their country of birth. Players like Aina,Lookman, akpoguma,Toru etc took us time to get and they only accepted when the chances of turning out for their country of birth was minimal

So nursing the ambition to play for their country of birth shouldn’t deter the nff and jpes from reaching out to them both now and in the nearest future having it at the back of our mind that we can’t and will never hv them all

Lookman wey u celebrate em goal and assist on Sunday na foreign reject too 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:04pm On Sep 12, 2023
ChrisKels:

How did Osimhen get the Captain armband? I don't think he is ripe for it.
Perhaps the young man is showing strong leadership qualities. You know Osimhen goes hard. They say he takes his football very serious. And we all see his passion.

Only thing is that personally I like the captain to be either a goalkeeper or a midfielder. I don't fancy attackers being captains.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by caprikon: 4:04pm On Sep 12, 2023
Kog45:
If this description about Akinsanmiro is true then why not invitation.

Akinsanmiro is a fine prospect.

More brains than brawn. I hope his career blossoms as expected.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:05pm On Sep 12, 2023
AndSunGorilla:

Yes I watched.Baba Yekini and I absolutely respect him for what he achieved at the time he was.playing, by the time the world.took notice of him, age wasn't on his side and after the 94 WC he had an almost one year injury absence when he joined Gijon in Spain and like you said everything went downhill from there.because of age, injury and also Abacha's nonsense with the 96 AFCON. That said, individually I daresay Osimhen is our most successful and ever globally renowned top striker. He won the league in Italy, won the highest scorer in a top league like the Serie A and World over there is no argument that he is among the current world's best strikers and even player. With that, even if Osimhen doesn't win anything in Nigeria, his name is already etched in the history books.

Win everything you want at club level. If you don't achieve anything with the National team, your name remains a champion in the history books in Europe and your club.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:05pm On Sep 12, 2023
caprikon:

Akinsanmiro is a fine prospect.

More brains than brawn. I hope his career blossoms as expected.
sure his career will blossom because he has all the qualities to make it to the very top
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:06pm On Sep 12, 2023
ChrisKels:

I also remember you said Solanke will never think of playing for Nigeria because he has no connection with Nigeria. What do you have to say about the news of him now begging for attention from Nigeria?

I haven't heard that .

And if by any chance it's actually true, he is doing a Jordan Jordan Torunarigha, it's obvious he will never get into England barring a miracle.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:07pm On Sep 12, 2023
Kog45:
Oga Charles,it seems you are not getting this discourse…the man icon4s is one of the leading Osimehn baba here and he threw a question “can we compare Osimehn with Yekini now and from individual’s contributions so far,nothing like disrespecting Osimehn.

Fact Osimehn will prefer to win Afcon and lead Nigeria to WC than missing out and win all time Nigeria highest goal scorer.Whether we like it or not Osimehn will soon be all time GOAT of Nigeria football cuz @24 he has the time.

You get it. Just a comparison. No one is disrespecting any of the two players.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:07pm On Sep 12, 2023
komekn:

I haven't heard that .

And if by any chance it's actually true, he is doing a Jordan Jordan Torunarigha, it's obvious he will never get into England barring a miracle.

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:09pm On Sep 12, 2023
AndSunGorilla:

Yes I watched.Baba Yekini and I absolutely respect him for what he achieved at the time he was.playing, by the time the world.took notice of him, age wasn't on his side and after the 94 WC he had an almost one year injury absence when he joined Gijon in Spain and like you said everything went downhill from there.because of age, injury and also Abacha's nonsense with the 96 AFCON. That said, individually I daresay Osimhen is our most successful and ever globally renowned top striker. He won the league in Italy, won the highest scorer in a top league like the Serie A and World over there is no argument that he is among the current world's best strikers and even player. With that, even if Osimhen doesn't win anything in Nigeria, his name is already etched in the history books.
Oga AndSunGorilla,even Osimehn will not agreed with you on this baba.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:09pm On Sep 12, 2023
Icon4s:

Win everything you want at club level. If you don't achieve anything with the National team, your name remains a champion in the history books in Europe and your club.
osimhen won the u17

Sorry sir 🏃🏿🏃🏿🏃🏿🏃🏿🏃🏿🏃🏿🏃🏿🏃🏿 🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:11pm On Sep 12, 2023
zuchyblink:
we lack options in midfield,in that case Ugochukwu will be a great addition in our team.
na CM/CAM we need abeg

Ndidi,Onyeka and onyedika don cover the CDM position
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Princezibk: 4:12pm On Sep 12, 2023
oloriooko:
Update: Italy Is My First Choice... If They Don't Call, I Will Consider Nigeria's Super Eagles - Caleb Okoli Cries From Frosinone 🇳🇬🦅🙆🏿‍♂️

Caleb, born in Italy to Nigerian parents has made his intentions of choosing Nigeria known...😁 According to the defender, he will consider Nigeria of the Italian national team didn't come for him.🤦🏿‍♂️

He's waiting for Spalleti's Call-Up 😲 only if we can shun this foreign rejects ,,, it will serve as lessons to others that take us for granted “mumu boy”

“I think I’m lucky to be able to play for two countries. I always talk to my parents about it,” Okoli said, per Napoli Magazine.

“For now, I’m thinking about playing and achieving the team goal, then the national team will be a consequence.

“I hope for a call from Spalletti and to play with the Italian national team, which is of the highest level in the future. if the call from Italy doesn’t arrive, I could make the decision on the Nigerian national team.”

#NPFLUpdates #WeReportYouDebunk
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:13pm On Sep 12, 2023
charlesemeka85:
osimhen won the u17

Sorry sir 🏃🏿🏃🏿🏃🏿🏃🏿🏃🏿🏃🏿🏃🏿🏃🏿 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Just like so many other Ex-U17 players that have gone into limbo grin grin grin

He should win us at least an AFCON Trophy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:15pm On Sep 12, 2023
Icon4s:

Just like so many other Ex-U17 players that have gone into limbo grin grin grin

He should win us at least an AFCON Trophy
don’t worry he will do that before he retires
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:16pm On Sep 12, 2023
charlesemeka85:
if osimhen gets a total of 5-6 goals during the wc qualifiers and 4-5 in next year’s afcon the record go remain small to be equaled
If he hadn't missed the last Afcon and if we had qualified for Qatar 2022 WC by now he should have hit 30 goals or at least 25 goals.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:16pm On Sep 12, 2023
Mujtahida:

Perhaps the young man is showing strong leadership qualities. You know Osimhen goes hard. They say he takes his football very serious. And we all see his passion.

Only thing is that personally I like the captain to be either a goalkeeper or a midfielder. I don't fancy attackers being captains.
If you want to know important of captaincy in national team,just read about Stephen Keshi…..He came into eagles at 21 in 1981 and made Afcon Libya 82 but at 21 he was already eagles captain leading the seniors like Muda Lawal,Henry Nwosu to Afcon 84….When Onigbinde was asked about Keshi captain band he said that boy hate to lose.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:17pm On Sep 12, 2023
charlesemeka85:
don’t worry he will do that before he retires

Na wetin we want be that.
To unseat Yekini as Nigeria's King of goals no be beans grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:18pm On Sep 12, 2023
Mujtahida:

If he hadn't missed the last Afcon and if we had qualified for Qatar 2022 WC by now he should have hit 30 goals or at least 25 goals.
that one na for sure

I get hope say Lesotho 🇱🇸 go chop like 4 goals home and away from em hand during the World Cup qualifiers 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Then others fit manage 5 which will bring he’s goal tally to 29🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Then in afcon him fit net 4-5 goals depending how far the team goes bringing the total goals to 33-34 goals

How many goals come remain for the yekini record mk osimhen equal am?🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:19pm On Sep 12, 2023
Kog45:
If you want to know important of captaincy in national team,just read about Stephen Keshi…..He came into eagles at 21 in 1981 and made Afcon Libya 82 but at 21 he was already eagles captain leading the seniors like Muda Lawal,Henry Nwosu to Afcon 84….When Omigbinde was about Keshi captain band he said that boy hate to lose.

That's the stuff of a captain.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:21pm On Sep 12, 2023
Mujtahida:

My lawyer longtime o (IF) many players lost out to IF…
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:24pm On Sep 12, 2023
Icon4s:

Sincerely,37 goals damn too poor for all time eagles scorer.Imagine Odegbami that retired in 1981 as a winger still held second highest all time scorer.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:25pm On Sep 12, 2023
Mujtahida:

If Yekini had not missed the 1986 AFCON and Nigeria qualified for the 1990 WC and played in the 1996 AFCON maybe he could have hit at least 50 goals grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 4:27pm On Sep 12, 2023
Mujtahida:

Ibra, Kane, Ronaldo say hi, they are natural.leaders. Osimhen is a natural leader too, honestly I think.he will make a.good coach when he retires.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:28pm On Sep 12, 2023
Icon4s:

If Yekini had not missed the 1986 AFCON and Nigeria qualified for the 1990 WC and played in the 1996 AFCON maybe he could have hit at least 50 goals grin
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 4:29pm On Sep 12, 2023
Icon4s:

Sir Victor Ikpeba didn't achieve much with Nigeria but he did.a.lot personally and he's still a legend, Osimhen has raised the profile of Nigeria right now whether we like it or not.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:29pm On Sep 12, 2023
Kog45:
Sincerely,37 goals damn too poor for all time eagles scorer.Imagine Odegbami that retired in 1981 as a winger still held second highest all time scorer.

You also need to consider the number of international matches and friendlies played back then. AFCON mostly had only 8 teams.
Most of the WC qualifying games were home and away knock out matches. 2026 WC qualifiers has 6 teams per group and 10 matches, 2024 AFCON will have 24 team. Both tournaments would opportunities for strikers to record plenty of goals.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 4:32pm On Sep 12, 2023
Icon4s:

Absolutely correct sir, we want that record broken and the liveliest person right now is Osimhen. Records are.meant to be broken anyway and after Osimhen breaks it by God's Grace, we.hope someone else will come and break that one and not be as long as it has taken to break Rashidi Yekini's records.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:33pm On Sep 12, 2023
Icon4s:

That's true. But I'm really gunning for Osimhen to smash Yekini's record if not for anything but to renew the myths and legends of Nigerian football in the hearts of the new generation. These new generation born between 1998 and early 2000 cannot really connect with them Rashidi oo. So they need their own heroes so that they can tell the next generation stories just as we are telling them stories about Yekini and the other great guys who inspired us.

Me I'm biased towards the old guys oo but for Osimhen I pray he breaks the record.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 4:35pm On Sep 12, 2023
Icon4s:

You also need to consider the number of international matches and friendlies played back then. AFCON mostly had only 8 teams.
Most of the WC qualifying games were home and away knock out matches. 2026 WC qualifiers has 6 teams per group and 10 matches, 2024 AFCON will have 24 team. Both tournaments would opportunities for strikers to record plenty of goals.
e no concern us the main thing be say osimhen go break the record before 2026 World Cup 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:36pm On Sep 12, 2023
charlesemeka85:
that one na for sure

I get hope say Lesotho 🇱🇸 go chop like 4 goals home and away from em hand during the World Cup qualifiers 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Then others fit manage 5 which will bring he’s goal tally to 29🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Then in afcon him fit net 4-5 goals depending how far the team goes bringing the total goals to 33-34 goals

How many goals come remain for the yekini record mk osimhen equal am?🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Nigeria World cup qualifier must be a team work not padding of goals cuz I remembered how France lost out during 1994 WC qualifiers,losing last two matches to Israel and Bulgaria.I will not forget how Italy lost out to North Macedonia….Abi you don forgot we lost to CAR and recently to Guinea Bissau at home.

Nigeria World Cup qualification cannot be traded for anything,South Africa is in our group and no way for Ghana episode again,it would be painful if we lost out to over confidence.

(1) (2) (3) ... (14991) (14992) (14993) (14994) (14995) (14996) (14997) ... (16372) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: AndSunGorilla, elyte89, Ikanium(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.