Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,325 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:20 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (15032) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11665904 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15029) (15030) (15031) (15032) (15033) (15034) (15035) ... (16150) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:59pm On Sep 20, 2023
Odunayaw:
The fact is the calibre of the greats is missing in this generation.

Basically football has been dumbed down to accommodate the less gifted

It has actually grown. Try studying the modern tactical game. Study tactical defending. Watch how to mark as a unit. You will see it is more difficult now.

The brain work is what makes it exciting.

I once pointed how I watched a Graeme Le Saux interview of Toby Alderweireld and he explained some tactical concepts to Le Saux. Note that Le Saux is a legend of Chelsea and a star for England. After the interview, Le Saux exclaimed that the little he learnt from that interview would have made him have a more bright career.

Now, that is an interview session, then imagine what these guys get from training sessions.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:02pm On Sep 20, 2023
charlesemeka85:
Even common search for google go tell u that De Lima is the best number 9 ever

Try and understand the point.

Destroying teams and showing individual talent is more difficult now. That is why tactical players are now very key.

Ronaldo would not replicate those clips at that frequency in this era.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:08pm On Sep 20, 2023
Odunayaw:
When someone classified the likes of Gabriel Jesus and Coutinho as superstars is when I knew standards have fallen

Read the headline from Goal

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:15pm On Sep 20, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

You are judging his greatness with playing with untactful defenders. Playing in this era will not be as easy.

He would also have a team and coach na. Its not like we are planning to just drop him in a match with no instructions for him and his teammates. With the right plan any great would dominate.

When u look at great teams in the past, there was at least once or twice that a coach goes in with the right plan and gives them all sort of troubles. Add a great player to that and I don't see why he wouldn't dominate.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 5:22pm On Sep 20, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

Read the headline from Goal
Stop carrying out of context screenshot to suit yourself.

Anyone can read it here:
https://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/cristiano-ronaldo-goes-to-bed-early---how-gabriel-jesus-became-a-brazilian-superstar/mjw1z8ux0qja1kn2zrgmbhrw0

Which kind person you be sef

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lukasa: 5:34pm On Sep 20, 2023
The good Joe head nor correct,you guys should just ignore him abeg.How can someone just be arguing blindly and even contradicting himself.TODAY football na pawpaw football that's why I hardly watch matches this days.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 5:34pm On Sep 20, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

It has actually grown. Try studying the modern tactical game. Study tactical defending. Watch how to mark as a unit. You will see it is more difficult now.

The brain work is what makes it exciting.

I once pointed how I watched a Graeme Le Saux interview of Toby Alderweireld and he explained some tactical concepts to Le Saux. Note that Le Saux is a legend of Chelsea and a star for England. After the interview, Le Saux exclaimed that the little he learnt from that interview would have made him have a more bright career.

Now, that is an interview session, then imagine what these guys get from training sessions.
If the coaches and players have mastered tactical defending,that would made it difficult for strikers to score,
Don't u think that coaches and players should also be able to master tactical attacking set up that could also enable them to score easily?
I think that's where the coaches of these mordern era should concentrate more on,so that the game will be more enjoyable.

If they can mastered tactical deffending,they can as well master tactical attacking system for easy scoring of goals.
Or is it that the coaches or the attackers of this era actually lack the talent and brain for it?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 5:56pm On Sep 20, 2023
BascoVanVeli:

He would also have a team and coach na. Its not like we are planning to just drop him in a match with no instructions for him and his teammates. With the right plan any great would dominate.

When u look at great teams in the past, there was at least once or twice that a coach goes in with the right plan and gives them all sort of troubles. Add a great player to that and I don't see why he wouldn't dominate.
That's what he does not even want to consider at all,
That R9 could possibly fall into the hands of a right coach who could mould him into a scoring monster.

With R9 in this present Man City team,he would be scoring average of 70 goals per season .

CR7 use to make those solo runs for his goals,
But not until he moved to Madrid was he coached out of those unnecessary dribbling into a goal monster.
Same can happen to R9,
But the man Thegoodjoe won't agree

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 5:57pm On Sep 20, 2023
Napoleon55:
How can one man take on the whole army of nairaland SE sports section.

Are u sure we are not arguing with a kind of a programmed BOT where it's data is stored in a database somewhere to engage us all.
Thegoodjoe my man.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:42pm On Sep 20, 2023
Napoleon55:

If the coaches and players have mastered tactical defending,that would made it difficult for strikers to score,
Don't u think that coaches and players should also be able to master tactical attacking set up that could also enable them to score easily?
I think that's where the coaches of these mordern era should concentrate more on,so that the game will be more enjoyable.

If they can mastered tactical deffending,they can as well master tactical attacking system for easy scoring of goals.
Or is it that the coaches or the attackers of this era actually lack the talent and brain for it?

It is not about brains or talent. It is set-up. A compact and unitary system is hard to break.

However, in light of what you are trying to say, a coach is trying to bring flair to the modern game. He is still going in Brazil and we will see how he fares.

Fernando Diniz of Brazil has his offensive players compact in a particular area, to have them outnumber tactical defenses and play with flair. He coached wonders with fluminese and with an insane winning percentage. So let's see what he does with Brazil. His tactics will get the ultimate test with the Brazil national team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:44pm On Sep 20, 2023
Napoleon55:

That's what he does not even want to consider at all,
That R9 could possibly fall into the hands of a right coach who could mould him into a scoring monster.

With R9 in this present Man City team,he would be scoring average of 70 goals per season .

CR7 use to make those solo runs for his goals,
But not until he moved to Madrid was he coached out of those unnecessary dribbling into a goal monster.
Same can happen to R9,
But the man Thegoodjoe won't agree

I don't know how else to explain it. I have no doubt that Ronaldo can excel in the modern tactical games but I am saying he won't destroy teams as he did in the past due to modern tactical defending.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:48pm On Sep 20, 2023
BascoVanVeli:

I am not talking of dominance but destroying with flair. It is more difficult to destroy players today than it was in the past. The point is simple.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 7:00pm On Sep 20, 2023
Osimhen starts for Napoli against Braga

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 7:07pm On Sep 20, 2023
Ndidi on the bench while iheanacho start for Leicester against Norwich

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 7:17pm On Sep 20, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

I don't know how else to explain it. I have no doubt that Ronaldo can excel in the modern tactical games but I am saying he won't destroy teams as he did in the past due to modern tactical defending.
Is "to destroy not to be understood as a figure of speech/metaphor which would help us understand he could dominate?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 7:39pm On Sep 20, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

In the same manner,we don't know to explain it to u that R9 will do more than what Haaland and Salah is currently doing

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 8:04pm On Sep 20, 2023
Napoleon55:

In the same manner,we don't know to explain it to u that R9 will do more than what Haaland and Salah is currently doing
r9 that played in serie A against woski and dreaded CBs wen the league bloody then and scored for fun

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:05pm On Sep 20, 2023
Napoleon55:

That is not my point. My point is he would not be able to destroy teams in such manner as he did in the past.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 8:06pm On Sep 20, 2023
Osimhen just missed a big chance
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:07pm On Sep 20, 2023
Napoleon55:

Is "to destroy not to be understood as a figure of speech/metaphor which would help us understand he could dominate?

Nope domination is not destroying when we are talking in relation to defenders. Destroying defenders is what Ronaldo did in the late 90s. Haland and Salah are not destroying defenders.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by slimthugchimee2(m): 8:10pm On Sep 20, 2023
Odunayaw:
Osimhen just missed a big chance

Any link to stream?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 8:12pm On Sep 20, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

That is not my point. My point is he would not be able to destroy teams in such manner as he did in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BUDaCDQJgM?si=vPL82b7Chd_qFFBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk_Kc-FcRvU?si=7levZVV-x130qHWj

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsq1QhVDXyY?si=D6Pqe3aWArlKIz9p

And a less talented Haaland dey destroy team em come be r9

If R9 played in this current city team or pep’s barca he will average 2 goals a game

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 8:15pm On Sep 20, 2023
slimthugchimee2:

Any link to stream?
Always check score808

They're consistent

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NwaIdeato: 8:15pm On Sep 20, 2023
We have a Nigerian playing in the CL and some clowns here are talking about R9 and Brazilian football on a Nigerian fans forum...utter disrespect smh

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 8:24pm On Sep 20, 2023
charlesemeka85:
r9 that played in serie A against woski and dreaded CBs wen the league bloody then and scored for fun

Leave blue font man,

Make dem carry Haaland go play against Paulo Maldini, make I see weda him fit do chimchi, Of Paulo no kill am, make I know weytin cause am
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:25pm On Sep 20, 2023
charlesemeka85:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BUDaCDQJgM?si=vPL82b7Chd_qFFBI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk_Kc-FcRvU?si=7levZVV-x130qHWj

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gsq1QhVDXyY?si=D6Pqe3aWArlKIz9p

And a less talented Haaland dey destroy team em come be r9

If R9 played in this current city team or pep’s barca he will average 2 goals a game

I did not say Ronaldo will not excel but will not destroy teams as he did. The point is simple.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bossto(m): 8:26pm On Sep 20, 2023
TheGoodJoe:

By the way, understand the point. Ronaldo made multiple brilliant Solo runs per game. Sometimes 4 or 5. Scored brilliant Solo goals easily. It is no more like that. You guys call it a dearth in talent but I am telling you guys that it is not dearth in talent but growth in tactical defending.
what about growth in tactical attacking and the pressing of the attackers in modern era?? Or do the coaches only focus on the defensive side of the game?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 8:30pm On Sep 20, 2023
Kvara has one thing in common with Moses Simon

He has been found out

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:36pm On Sep 20, 2023
Penalty!! Victor Osimhen fouled in the box. Make e dash this one make I see grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:38pm On Sep 20, 2023
BascoVanVeli:
Penalty!! Victor Osimhen fouled in the box. Make e dash this one make I see grin

No penarity. VAR check

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Meliforme: 8:40pm On Sep 20, 2023
Kog45:
I was expecting quotes but not surprised you mentioned Whoscored,sofascore.

Nwakali rookie in Portuguese league?pls at what age,pls Orban Gift is what in Belgium league.

Making a name for oneself means creating a reputation for oneself.
Players create reputation through performance.

What kind of quotes were you expecting.
Quotes from journalists or newspaper columns will be deemed subjective.

Below is an image (a screenshot) made from Fotmob showing players ranked according to the number of chances created. This is purely an objective representation, not subjective.

Nwakali is still a rookie in the Portuguese league.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 8:46pm On Sep 20, 2023
Nacho scores for Leicester

5 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (15029) (15030) (15031) (15032) (15033) (15034) (15035) ... (16150) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: komekn(m), Philosopher1979 and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.