Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,918 members, 7,824,859 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 07:28 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (15135) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11729244 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15132) (15133) (15134) (15135) (15136) (15137) (15138) ... (16171) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 7:58am On Oct 14, 2023
realpoacher:
I don't know why everyone is complaining about 4-4-2 or 4-2-4 formation

You all should stop wailing

Our midfield is never thin during the matches we play.... Yesterday we had a crowded midfield

JP is always playing a diamond midfield.... The last time I checked, diamond midfield is not thin

You people are never satisfied

When last did your SE played a fluid and coordinated football?

But today we see better coordination under JP

Stop complaining you insatiable lots

Thank you
JP might have his weaknesses, but he got most things right yesterday
We moved the ball better..
Our transitions were good
And we created chances
We played free flowing football yesterday

It was just a bad day for our strikers and our GK. That's all
On to the next game

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 8:07am On Oct 14, 2023
Calvin Bassey had a good game
Unlike most folks here, I think our team is taking shape..
Save for the GK position and maybe the wings, the team pretty much picks itself
I think we're about 70% ready for the AFCON
Not sure we would win, but I think we'd top our group and go deep

To win, we need a sound Coach and an above average GK
Maybe Adeleye is the guy?
Maybe not

But we're progressing in the right direction
Kudos to JP
Kudos to NFF

We're not there yet, but atleast we're not where we used to be..

It can only get better

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ihenzy(m): 8:08am On Oct 14, 2023
daveP:
Chuks will have 100m perimeter to himself but will take a touch or two that covers 99.9m and waste the chances.

Compare to Seniorman that needs no touch. Guy already knows where the keeper and the post is. He shoots and hits target instanta.

Something is wrong with Chuks. The earlier the better. He can't continue to be wasting 100m circumference like that inside the box. Is it a taboo for him to shoot instanta?
The guy is just dull and not so ambitious to me. He has the skills just to calm down and learn how to curve the damn ball in consistently. The most annoying thing is after the waste he will be smiling

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 8:10am On Oct 14, 2023
Edu93:
People pretending here as if Enyeama wasn't terrible at setpieces too.
Enyeama was directly responsible for goals against Korea(2010), France(2014), Ghana(2010 ANC)...
So it's nothing new.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BankyGee(m): 8:34am On Oct 14, 2023
Mozambique is a decent team too, let's see what we can do against them on Monday.

This is the last 10 games for both teams ๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿพ:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 8:51am On Oct 14, 2023
I prefer him

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:55am On Oct 14, 2023
Marjoribanks:
How is this JPs fault? I don't really understand you guys? The Saudis created one chance from open play while Paserios team were missing sitters upon sitters yet you blame Paserio? Uzoho put the ball in his own net and Aribo mistakenly stepped on a players leg to gift Saudis goal yet you play JP? I do not understand? Seriously!
You're right, JP has nothing to do with the outcome of that match, we stringed passes together all around the pitch, he started a deadly (on paper) lineup, we created several chances (which we used to struggle at in the past), He did his job.

All I'm waiting for is his next step in getting rid of the loopholes like booting Uzoho out, getting Chukweze a customized bench, realize that sadiq has no business in the team (guy is low quality... He hasn't really impressed. How on earth can you miss such ball even unmarked and call yourself a striker.

A deleye should be in goal next match all through for a stern test because he's the most promising and a potential first choice in AFCON. And also comb the local league for good backups.

We're seriously missing Ikeme

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 9:06am On Oct 14, 2023
Just thinking aloud?

Can't they do a mini trial for the 20 or more goal keepers in the league, henceforth, everyone is on trial with the opportunity to snatch the vacant no1 super eagle jersey..

If we still go by these guys, one player from Algeria or Egypt will just wire shot from midfield and they'd be 0-1 up in afcon semi final. That's after squandering all our good chances.

Hmmm.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 9:19am On Oct 14, 2023
Starboytwo:
Just thinking aloud?

Can't they do a mini trial for the 20 or more goal keepers in the league, henceforth, everyone is on trial with the opportunity to snatch the vacant no1 super eagle jersey..

If we still go by these guys, one player from Algeria or Egypt will just wire shot from midfield and they'd be 0-1 up in afcon semi final. That's after squandering all our good chances.

Hmmm.
My brother, yours amongst other solutions have been suggested on this thread but wetin we go do when those at the helm are myopic. All they're after is the national cake.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jieta: 9:25am On Oct 14, 2023
Ihenzy:

The guy is just dull and not so ambitious to me. He has the skills just to calm down and learn how to curve the damn ball in consistently. The most annoying thing is after the waste he will be smiling
That smiling is very annoying, you miss a clear chance there the least you could do is to smile for the camera.

That was how some super Eagles players were behaving most especially chinedu obasi, yakubu and a host of other. There all left the national team unceremoniously, if you feel you're too big for the national team why not turn down the invite.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jieta: 9:29am On Oct 14, 2023
MetalJigsaw:
You're right, JP has nothing to do with the outcome of that match, we stringed passes together all around the pitch, he started a deadly (on paper) lineup, we created several chances (which we used to struggle at in the past), He did his job.

All I'm waiting for is his next step in getting rid of the loopholes like booting Uzoho out, getting Chukweze a customized bench, realize that sadiq has no business in the team (guy is low quality... He hasn't really impressed. How on earth can you miss such ball even unmarked and call yourself a striker.

A deleye should be in goal next match all through for a stern test because he's the most promising and a potential first choice in AFCON. And also comb the local league for good backups.

We're seriously missing Ikeme
Did you see that eye ndidi use to look uzoho, if not for the camera ndidi would have beat foolishness out of uzoho head.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 9:34am On Oct 14, 2023
As it stands, uzoho and Okoye cannot make the Super Falcons team!
True to God, Chiamaka Nnadozie and Tochukwu Oluehi are better than these boys and I'm not trolling.

Over the years, these meaningless friendlies should have been used to try goalkeepers from the league.

There was a Super 6 tournament some months ago, you can't seriously tell me that not one goalkeeper is better than Uzoho. Something must be wrong with anybody who says that.

There is Stanley Nwabili at Chippa. He was one of the best while at Lobi Stars. He has something like 5 cleans sheets in 9 games in South Africa, Why can't they look his way?

This fixation on uzoho is just because he was at some point 3rd choice at Deportivo lacarona. If he had started from Abia Warriors he won't be here.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 9:39am On Oct 14, 2023
I am already seeing Mozambique is a decent team but if we outplay them now some will start to shift goalposts

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 9:40am On Oct 14, 2023
BankyGee:
Mozambique is a decent team too, let's see what we can do against them on Monday.

This is the last 10 games for both teams ๐Ÿ‘‡๐Ÿพ:
those Ghana matches. I thought we drew both matches abi na my memory dey faulty.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 9:40am On Oct 14, 2023
Ihenzy:

Very annoying. Something a serious coach wont curtail. He will be benched till he gets sense. Before it was Simon. Now Simon don wake up small.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:49am On Oct 14, 2023
lbrichman2:

Thank you
And we created chances

On to the next game
That match on a good day should have been a 6-2 score line. We were just unlucky.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 10:19am On Oct 14, 2023
Truidstar:
That match on a good day should have been a 6-2 score line. We were just unlucky.

Exactly
Even Ronaldo missed a sitter yesterday with the net completely open
Even the best strikers miss chances
I daresay we wouldn't have drawn that match if it wasn't a friendly

The result could have been better
But overall our play was better than in recent times
Let's just see the next game on Monday

Then we can crucify who we want to crucify

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Unlimited22: 10:40am On Oct 14, 2023
Barryseal:
True to God, Chiamaka Nnadozie and Tochukwu Oluehi are better than these boys and I'm not trolling.

Over the years, these meaningless friendlies should have been used to try goalkeepers from the league.

There was a Super 6 tournament some months ago, you can't seriously tell me that not one goalkeeper is better than Uzoho. Something must be wrong with anybody who says that.

There is Stanley Nwabili at Chippa. He was one of the best while at Lobi Stars. He has something like 5 cleans sheets in 9 games in South Africa, Why can't they look his way?

This fixation on uzoho is just because he was at some point 3rd choice at Deportivo lacarona. If he had started from Abia Warriors he won't be here.
Why not even try to give people like Noah Atubolu and Arthur Okonkwo a chance?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:40am On Oct 14, 2023
Odunayaw:
I am already seeing Mozambique is a decent team but if we outplay them now some will start to shift goalposts
Mozambique a decent team?

With our pedigree in African football and the players we have please this shouldn't be coming out of our mouth.

If we see Mozambique as decent then an everage european team is world class to us.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 10:48am On Oct 14, 2023
Unlimited22:

Why not even try to give people like Noah Atubolu and Arthur Okonkwo a chance?
Arthur Okonkwo could be a low hanging fruit. His career progression could be sparked to the next level if he becomes Super Eagles goalkeeper.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nomyth: 10:51am On Oct 14, 2023
lbrichman2:

Thank you
And we created chances

On to the next game

In addition, we were also able to come back from a goal down.

For some time now, the eagles have struggled whenever they conceded first.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 10:51am On Oct 14, 2023
MetalJigsaw:

With our pedigree in African football and the players we have please this shouldn't be coming out of our mouth.

If we see Mozambique as decent then an everage european team is world class to us.

True, but even we have not been great in recent times either..
Remember we're just coming from the doldrums of Rohr's depressing football coupled with JP needing time to find his feet and get the team executing his ideas
Some other teams were growing while we were going backwards with Rohr and JP initially

So in that sense, Mozambique would be a good test for us

I am convinced we are almost ready for the AFCON
And I think any team that underrates us will pay for that

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BankyGee(m): 10:53am On Oct 14, 2023
Amedino99:
those Ghana matches. I thought we drew both matches abi na my memory dey faulty.
Those fixtures are for the CHAN Eagles ๐Ÿฆ…, dunno why Flashscore and Sofascore decided to consider the CHAN Eagles and Super Eagles as the same team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 10:55am On Oct 14, 2023
Nomyth:

In addition, we were also able to come back from a goal down.

For some time now, the eagles have struggled whenever they conceded first.

Thank you!
We've been so adamant in our crying and whining that we have failed to see improvements in our game, no matter how small..

Usually when we conceded first, it was over
But these guys put up a fight yesterday

We know in a real match situation, Ebuehi and one of Lukman or Chuks wouldn't have started..

We will be a formidable team at the AFCON
Atleast we know this team can fight back if they concede first

Na Make we just sort out our GK situation. We will be ready

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:57am On Oct 14, 2023
Happy birthday to Ahmed Musa,Nigeria highest WC scorer.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 11:12am On Oct 14, 2023
MetalJigsaw:

I hope they read this

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nigeriagood(m): 11:21am On Oct 14, 2023
labas370:
Unpopular opinion

JPes is a better coach than mancini.
it's true
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tobichimezie: 11:29am On Oct 14, 2023
JP should have invited an in-form Akor Adams, Sadiq Umar aside from his clumsy foot football has yet to settle at his club after his injury, his invitation was just weird...or was his invitation influenced by some higher-ups to fulfill a Northern quota? This should be the last we see of him in the NT- he should join the league of the Onuachu's, Dessers etc as deadweights.

JP should have subbed in either of Onyedika or Onyeka to kill off the game rather than sub in a div 2 match rusty Aribo who in all honesty has no place in this team for now, the likes of Fisayo Dele Bashiru, Nwakali/Folorunsho should and must be considered ahead of him. All this lame sentiments of calling up deadweights is costing us big time, Aribo's rustiness showed today when he caused a needless foul on the Saudi player in a very dangerous position- worse of all in the dying minutes of a game we had comfortably managed.

Nathan Tella has to be called up in place of Chukwueze, I can stand the nonchalant behavior of Chukwueze anymore, I underpinned his unseriousness when he opted for a brainless and wayward curve shot rather than pass to an open team mate who only had the gaping net at his mercy, Chukwueze had the audacity to smile like one star boy who fluffed a moment of magic...bench this clown or drop him for good.

Ademola Lookman smh, I'll hold out on some hope that maybe he's better suited as a support striker or CAM in a 352 formation (he does well playing those positions for Atalanta), cause he's honestly a waste of space on the wings. Peseiro has to get creative and switch the position of these players, the beauty of football is in its dynamism.

Bruno Onyemaechi is a revelation in that RB position, I love his game

Osayi Bright is a solid fu*king baller, fluid and brilliant in attacking as well.

With Bruno, Osayi, Aina and Zaidu our full-back depth looks solid. I like Ebuehi but his drop-off in form isn't a good look, maybe because Empoli has been awful this season cause he was one of their best players last season.

Bassey is solid

Ajayi is entering that league of deadweights like Ekong etc, we need to see what Igoh Ogbu and Jordan Torunarigha have got to offer now before the AFCON. Omeruo is the only veteran CB that should lead that defence cause he offers better leadership than Ekong.

Ndidi is revitalized breath of fresh air, real captain mentality from him.

Iwobi is as always solid and reliable, but Fisayo needs to be tested against Mozambique. We need to start prepping up understudy creative outlets for Iwobi just in case...

Simon Moses I'm sorry for ever disrespecting you, this guy gives his all for the SE, brilliant player on his day and very unselfish. A true leader just like Ndidi.

Osimhen always gives his ALL, the other forwards need to step up their game cause Osimhen will get fouled and roughed up alot by physical defenders...he's now injury prone so we can't rely on him to bail us out everytime.

Kelz! Senior man remains our best finisher! the guy is an intriguing enigma, has his lazy moments but when he's on his ace game, Senior man needs only a moment of magic to completely change the game. The question is: what position is best to play him?

Boniface is a fuccking baller, loves how he drops deep to the mid and helps in build up play, I see him as the perfect Osimhen deputy. I want to see more Osimhen/Boniface partnership.

Moffi is decent even though he hasn't been giving a full run in the NT. I place him third place in our striking depth behind Osimhen and Boniface. We need to try out new formations to really bring out the best of our forwards.

Uzoho is a crime against football, the less said about him the better.

Surely the likes of Adeleye, Arthur Okonkwo, Noah Atubolu and Stanley Nwabili have to be the GKs to groom into the NT ASAP!

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:29am On Oct 14, 2023
Starboytwo:
Just thinking aloud?

Hmmm.
At Afcon 2021 after our 2-0 match against Guinea Bissau, na so Oma Ataguba was gushing over the win while interviewing Maduka. Maduka now said that though he's happy we won, he's not satisfied because he's was not tested.

The fact was that at the tournament Maduka hadn't been tested at all except one weak scruffle in the game against Egypt.

Well, when I heard him say that to Oma, I just rolled my eyes.

Omo next match, Tunisia wire only one short from outside 18, fiam, e enter net. I couldn't believe my eyes. Seriously, never been that shocked at a goal against the SE. Na so we bounce comot for Afcon. Maduka came, was tested and we was knocked out.

A bad goalie can cost you a tournament no matter how good your team is in other aspects

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:33am On Oct 14, 2023
Barryseal:

Chiamaka is the best female goalie in Africa if not the world. She's so good. In our match against England, after England player pounced on a defender's failure to clear a back pass, the way Chiamaka sprang like Amalinze the Cat ehn. She's so sharp. Not blunt hands like Uzoho and Okoye.

Uzoho go dunk ball enter our net like prime LeBron James. Chai

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by typicalgamer(m): 11:35am On Oct 14, 2023
Only a mad man will think we did well against Saudi

Thereโ€™s no positive to take from that match

Only excuse we can make is thatโ€™s not the main squad

Aside that we have a long way to go in becoming number 1 seed in Africa

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BankyGee(m): 11:37am On Oct 14, 2023
Mujtahida:

Chiamaka is the best female goalie in Africa if not the world. She's so good. In our match against England, after England player pounced on a defender's failure to clear a back pass, the way Chiamaka sprang like Amalinze the Cat ehn. She's so sharp. Not blunt hands like Uzoho and Okoye.

Uzoho go dunk ball enter our net like prime LeBron James. Chai
I swear, that corner she saved against England is my best save I've seen from her.

While she's a good gripper of the ball, ๐Ÿงค Uzoho is just an Agrippa on the ball ๐Ÿ˜‘

(1) (2) (3) ... (15132) (15133) (15134) (15135) (15136) (15137) (15138) ... (16171) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: ddone, DrYa, delana(m), 10cedes, Philosopher1979, komekn(m) and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.