Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,400 members, 7,861,126 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:52 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1522) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11930044 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1519) (1520) (1521) (1522) (1523) (1524) (1525) ... (16336) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:43pm On Sep 16, 2017
TheSuperNerd:

Read about the treatment and saved that page for future reference.... it was really not good... Aisha Falode and her fellow NFF goons handling Women's football should have done things better to make the girls feel comfortable. Will share the article if need be.... but kudos to the Super Falconets.... wink

Sir BascoVanVeli... wetin dey do Our Home based Eagles naa? I hear poor officiating but aside that how we no fit score naa? I am lost...

The WAFU officiating has left a lot to be desired but so has our coaching. If we don't improve in that department I don't see us going far in CHAN.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:45pm On Sep 16, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:
What happen to Ezenwa? Dele Ajiboye was in goal today? Any info please...
Nothing happened, Ezenwa and Eze were rested and should return against Ghana on Monday.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 11:13pm On Sep 16, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Nothing happened, Ezenwa and Eze were rested and should return against Ghana on Monday.
i just pray we win,ghana are already through
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 1:30am On Sep 17, 2017
Aisha Falode and her NFF crew including Edo state government all messed up big time. I heard that the Falconets had a rough stay there. Thank God for the result sha. Hope we wrap it up at Dar es Salam.

For WAFU cup, only God knows why the Okro soup draw again. Salisu Yusuf should get things right against Ghana. All eyes are on him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 1:34am On Sep 17, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Thank you

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 3:36am On Sep 17, 2017
Felicia Aiyeotan should be considered for the D'Tigress. She plays as a center for her college team, University of Virginia.
And she also stands at a massive 6'9"

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:11am On Sep 17, 2017
PDPGuy:
Felicia Aiyeotan should be considered for the D'Tigress. She plays as a center for her college team, University of Virginia.

Several Nigerians play college B'ball in the US... What are her stats? Why should she be considered?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:24am On Sep 17, 2017
solonnachi:
Aisha Falode and her NFF crew including Edo state government all messed up big time. I heard that the Falconets had a rough stay there. Thank God for the result sha. Hope we wrap it up at Dar es Salam.

For WAFU cup, only God knows why the Okro soup draw again. Salisu Yusuf should get things right against Ghana. All eyes are on him.

That is the Nigerian spirit I always talk about.

We excel even in adversities. They knew there is a bigger price of participating in the world cup and getting themselves foreign Clubs plus a chance in the Super Falcons team.

The game could easily had been 8-0 if not for excellent Tanzanian keeper.

The NFF needs to do better next time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:40am On Sep 17, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

Rested?hope not injury coz all our matches are crucial,so why keeping your best players on d bench when qualification is still dicey,especially your NO 1 keeper.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 6:59am On Sep 17, 2017
tbaba1234:

Several Nigerians play college B'ball in the US... What are her stats? Why should she be considered?

She has the record number of blocks for her old high school team; plus she averaged like 6 blocks, and 12 points per game in Virginia's ACC season.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Afam4eva(m): 7:07am On Sep 17, 2017
PDPGuy:
Wow, that's really tall. Especially for a lady.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:48am On Sep 17, 2017
Humility017:

even if he is eligible...many of our coaches will never look his way...
I easily dash my hope on these Austrian products...we easily lost them...reason because we are not proactive and Austria don't joke wit talents...

so sad...
Quit unfortunate though. Let's just hope of youth Coaches do not neglet this one.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:17am On Sep 17, 2017
WAFU Cup: Eagles play goalless draw against Guinea

Super Eagles Team B failed to impress in their second game of Group A in the ongoing WAFU Cup of Nations tournament after playing scoreless draw againt the Syli Nationale of Guinea at Cape Coast Stadium on Saturday.

Nigeria started the game on brighter note with Dele Ajiboye starting in goal for Nigeria as Ikechukwu Ezenwa was rested for the game. Goal-king Anthony Okpotu started by pressurizing the Guineans attack, but could not convert the chances as the game progressed.

Coal Salisu Yusuf made some vital changes in the game as Ajiboye Muniru replaced Okpotu Anthony, Gabriel Okechuku came on for Eduwo Kingsley in the 60th minute, Nigeria made their last substitution as Marhias Samuel paved way for John Friday in the 66th minute.

Nigeria now have two points from the two matches played so far in Group A and would expect a victory against hosts Ghana in what has been touted epic clash of the competition on Monday.

Meanwhile, Guinean star, Camara Abdoulaye won the Most Valuable Player (MVP) for playing a pivotal role in the game.

www.soccernet.com.ng/2017/09/wafu-cup-eagles-play-goalless-draw.html
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 8:19am On Sep 17, 2017
Yusuf: Missed Chances Cost Us Guinea Game

By Izuchukwu Okosi:
Head coach of the home-based Super Eagles, Salisu Yusuf, on Saturday evening rued his team’s missed chances in their second Group A match of the 2017 West Africa Football Union (WAFU) Cup of Nations following the scoreless draw with Guinea at the Cape Coast Stadium, central region in Ghana, reports Comple tesportsnigeria.com.

The Eagles who advanced to the group stages of the sub regional tournament by defeating Sierra Leone 2-0 on Monday drew their first group by same barren draw against Mali on Thursday.

“We had three or four chances and we couldn’t take them, but we look forward to playing Ghana,” Yusuf said in his post match reaction after the Saturday’s match.

The former Kano Pillars handler however plays down the advantage Ghana may have in their last group game on Monday.

“We know Ghana are the hosts, but we have to play the game first and finish the game.

“When you get it right, when you take your chances, everything is possible. Every team is beatable. We have to work hard and be ready for Ghana,” Yusuf concluded.

A draw against Ghana may not be sufficient for the Nigerian team who have two point. A win for Guinea at the expense of Mali coupled with a Nigeria defeat means elimination for the 2010 winners of the tournament-and runners up the following year.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/yusuf-missed-chances-cost-us-guinea-game/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:25am On Sep 17, 2017
PDPGuy:

She has the record number of blocks for her old high school team; plus she averaged like 6 blocks, and 12 points per game in Virginia's ACC season.

Are u sure she had 6 block per game in the ACC? If so that's very very good.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:28am On Sep 17, 2017
Kog45:
Rested?hope not injury coz all our matches are crucial,so why keeping your best players on d bench when qualification is still dicey,especially your NO 1 keeper.

It's only the WAFU cup na, the keeper was the only one who had not played. He did a good job btw.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:37am On Sep 17, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

It's only the WAFU cup na, the keeper was the only one who had not played. He did a good job btw.
meaning is not a serious tournament,anyway Ajiboye did not disappoint but i expect Ezenwa in goal to further boost his confidence against Zambia.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:04am On Sep 17, 2017
Kog45:
meaning is not a serious tournament,anyway Ajiboye did not disappoint but i expect Ezenwa in goal to further boost his confidence against Zambia.

Agreed.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:23am On Sep 17, 2017
forgiveness:

In addition, Tiago Ilori and Dominic Irhofa.

Dominic Iorfa is fast big strong but not technically astute compared to Aina.

In this regard Dominic is built for the physicality, high tempo and intensity of the Championship and for the less technical teams in the premiership.

Consider Mick Mcarthy (Ipswich Manager) and his football ethos which is essentially kick and rush. Iorfa in my opinion would do well if he can improve his anticipation and positional sense as a center back. I rate him considerably higher than Ilori.

Forget pedigree and compare him to Ilori in terms of games played and Ilori is far far behind him.

None of them in my opinion is anywhere near the quality of Aina with regards to wing back play.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:24am On Sep 17, 2017
Joebie:
I agree. Lorfa has been a regular since moving from Wolves to Ipswich.
I will like to see how he competes with the like of Tomori and Aina.

Dominic was a regular at Wolves more or less even before he moved to Ipswich.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:29am On Sep 17, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

The WAFU officiating has left a lot to be desired but so has our coaching. If we don't improve in that department I don't see us going far in CHAN.

Thank God the WAFU tournament would not be part of the FIFA ranking.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:57am On Sep 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I hope Shakespeare gets sacked. He is not the kind of coach I want two of the brightest Nigerian talents playing under. Ndidi is evolving into a creative holding player that has the ability to score goals. But, Shakespeare has no clue to go about harnessing it.

Nacho needs tidy passes and loads of chances but Shakespeare is also lost there. I also feel for Jamie Vardy because he is an exceptional striker but Shakespeare can not get him the kind of services he needs to shine. Leicester needs a better manager.

You can't blame the Manager this is the style format that saved Leicester from relegation.

You do your homework before you sign for a team. Will my style of play fit in, will I develop and improve, can I adapt to thier style of play amongst other questions to be asked.Not just the pay package.

I said donkeys ago that KC baptism will come when he leaves City for a less technically proficient team and where he will have limited support.

He was bought to be a striker and so now like it or not he must strike and score goals. If he doesn't all this hype will be forgotten and he could be the next expensive striker to fail.

We cannot expect Leicester to change for him he must change, adapt and perform for them. We cannot change the goal posts. It's tough but this is football he has to get going or loose his place. Leicester will expect a minimum of 15 goals from him at least probably more, this season. That is why they paid near £25 million for him as is reported.

This is his opportunity to prove himself

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:03am On Sep 17, 2017
komekn:

You can't blame the Manager this is the style format that saved Leicester from relegation.

You do your homework before you sign for a team. Will my style of play fit in, will I develop and improve, can I adapt to thier style of play amongst other questions to be asked.Not just the pay package.

I said donkeys ago that KC baptism will come when he leaves City for a less technically proficient team and where he will have limited support.

He was bought to be a striker and so now like it or not he must strike and score goals. If he doesn't all this hype will be forgotten and he could be the next expensive striker to fail.

We cannot expect Leicester to change for him he must change, adapt and perform for them. We cannot change the goal posts. It's tough but this is football he has to get going or loose his place. Leicester will expect a minimum of 15 goals from him at least probably more, this season. That is why they paid near £25 million for him as is reported.

This is his opportunity to prove himself

My call is not centered around Kelechi Iheanacho but for Leicester City as a whole. Iheanacho is not the only one affected. Other players are suffering from his dull approach.

Even Mahrez is a shadow of himself. Slimani looks dead weight. Vardy has the potential of scoring loads but is left to deal with scraps.

Criticism can come but time proves the quality of the player. Either at Leicester City or some other club with a more progressive playing system, Nacho and Ndidi can make meaningful impacts.

Shakeapeare is a weak coach and Gray, Albrighton and co. deserve better.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:09am On Sep 17, 2017
Watched Tega Abraham yesterday against Tottenham for a 19 year old his performance was astounding. Leading the attack for Swansea in the EPL he's definitely real quality.

I have watched him since he was 15/16 his level is just improving at a very fast upward spiral. Positional sense, anticipation and awareness, he now also has presence and lots of Shakara technical ability and yes he got some pace.

Amaju no time to waste call him now to eat Owo and starch before it is too late. I currently rate him more than Rashford, than Dembele he brings more to the table. He is also younger than all these guys.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:10am On Sep 17, 2017
Icon4s:

Thank God the WAFU tournament would not be part of the FIFA ranking.

I think Ivory Coast and Senegal would be thanking God more.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:14am On Sep 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

My call is not centered around Kelechi Iheanacho but for Leicester City as a whole. Iheanacho is not the only one affected. Other players are suffering from his dull approach.

Even Mahrez is a shadow of himself. Slimani looks dead weight. Vardy has the potential of scoring loads but is left to deal with scraps.

Criticism can come but time proves the quality of the player. Either at Leicester City or some other club with a more progressive playing system, Nacho and Ndidi can make meaningful impacts.

Shakeapeare is a weak coach and Gray, Albrighton and co. deserve better.

I AGREE WITH YOU COMPLETELY.

However, the chairman is not going to change him soon. This is the system that KC will have to operate in and he has to find a way to make it work.

This is how it's going to be for some time to come. When things fail they look for a fall guy. Vardy, Mahrez and other are proven and established, KC is not.

If things go really bad I fear a lot of finger pointing willl come his KC way. If his confidence goes then it could be all downhill footballers are human too you know.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:17am On Sep 17, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

I think Ivory Coast and Senegal would be thanking God more.

Are they out?

Besides I don't expect those two to have good home based teams due to their numerous exports scattered all over Europe especially in France despite their relatively small football population.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:22am On Sep 17, 2017
komekn:

However, the chairman is not going to change him soon. This is the system that KC will have to operate in and he has to find a way to make it work.

This is how it's going to be for some time to come. When things fail they look for a fall guy. Vardy, Mahrez and other are proven and established, KC is not.

If things go really bad I fear a lot of finger pointing willl come his KC way. If his confidence goes then it could be all downhill footballers are human too you know.

Let us see how long they last with the system before panicking. Time will tell.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:24am On Sep 17, 2017
komekn:

Finger pointing will be a joke by fans and pundits (although I do not see this happening) because it is obvious the system is poor and thrash. History of the EPL points fingers to managers and not players.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:41am On Sep 17, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
I have seen the team sheet... she is not even on the bench. I doubt she is in the team for now....

*modified*
Starting 11:

Onyinyechi Okeke-1

Sunday Okpe-15

Lilian Tule-4

Gloria Akumbu-3

Oluwakemi Famuditi (C)-6

Folashade Ijamulusi-17

Rasheedat Ajibade-8

Anam IMO-14

Chinyere Igbomalu-12

Basirat Amount-11

Peace Efih-7

Subs: Nnadozie, Duru, Amerat, Ologbosere, Reuben, Iron, Turnum

On the pitch yesterday the only two faces I could recognise were those of Onyinyechi Okeke and Rasheedat Ajibade. I didn't even know Mary Ologbosere was on the bench because they were far from my position.

The best 3 Nigerian players for the day were:

Rasheedat Ajibade: She played as a SS in the first half when we were looking for goals but later played as the lone striker when we went 3-0 up. Scored the 2nd and 3rd goal. Kept the Tanzanian defenders busy for 90mins. Excellent positional abilities with good ball sense.

Jersey number 17: That girl raped the Tanzanian full backs for good 90mins. She combined excellently well with Ajibade. And also had attempts at goal saved by the excellent Tanzanian goalie. She is the next big thing after Assisat Oshoala IMO. Folashade Ijamulusi is the girl in number 17. That girl will go places. My eyes are on her henceforth.

Jersey number 10: She came in as a sub for an injured jersey number 7. I thought I was seeing Mikel on the pitch. People were now wondering why the coach started her on the bench. Immediately she entered the Tanzanians became passengers in the midfield. Our wingers got more balls and the Tanzanians hardly got to the center circle. We scored two goals after her introduction. There was one occasion where she did a Mikel on 3 Tanzanian players. They thought she wanted to pass the ball backward only for her to do a 180 degrees turn with the 3 Tanzanians running in the opposite direction, much to the cheer of the home fans.

Other players that performed well: A very fair skinned girl that played LB and the Two centre backs. The RB was not much in the game as the Tanzanians hardly made any incursion in her direction. Tanzanians had no shot on target, Onyinyechi was only picking up loose balls that came her way.

The only Nigerian player I will axe in the game is the number 18 jersey. She was the main striker in front of Ajibade. A big number 9. But two sluggish and lazy.

Over all, the girls had a good game. Highly eterntaining. Excellent passing abilities. But for the Tanzanian goalie it could have been worse for them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:16pm On Sep 17, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Finger pointing will be a joke by fans and pundits (although I do not see this happening) because it is obvious the system is poor and thrash. History of the EPL points fingers to managers and not players.
True talk managers always feel d heat but can we say Leicester is a big team,truly they won EPL but wasn't surprise with their performance so far or what do u expect, credit to Ranieri for giving d club good image.Shakespeare came in and make sure d team remain in EPL and we must give him that credit.

I know u are not happy with d development of Nacho,Ndidi even Musa under Shakespeare but there is nothing anybody can do about it.It's either our players perform or face d music like Musa.Thank God Ndidi is doing it weekly and hope Nacho should do d same thing irrespective of what Shakespeare bring to d table.Mind u £25m is not a joke,so high expectations on Nacho to deliver.

How i wish Nacho join club like Dortmund where he can blossom well but sometimes players always have their reason for chosen club.Truly Leicester want him more than any other club at that moment,just let see how it goes but i believe Nacho w show his class.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:29pm On Sep 17, 2017
Kog45:
True talk managers always feel d heat but can we say Leicester is a big team,truly they won EPL but wasn't surprise with their performance so far or what do u expect, credit to Ranieri for giving d club good image.Shakespeare came in and make sure d team remain in EPL and we must give him that credit.

I know u are not happy with d development of Nacho,Ndidi even Musa under Shakespeare but there is nothing anybody can do about it.It's either our players perform or face d music like Musa.Thank God Ndidi is doing it weekly and hope Nacho should do d same thing irrespective of what Shakespeare bring to d table.Mind u £25m is not a joke,so high expectations on Nacho to deliver.

How i wish Nacho join club like Dortmund where he can blossom well but sometimes players always have their reason for chosen club.Truly Leicester want him more than any other club at that moment,just let see how it goes but i believe Nacho w show his class.

My problem with the current play of Leicester City is that they have the talents to play in a braver fashion but Shakespeare chose to keep playing in a timid fashion, thus inhibiting the qualities of his players. Let us see how things play out.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1519) (1520) (1521) (1522) (1523) (1524) (1525) ... (16336) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89 and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.