Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,734 members, 7,824,075 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:04 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (15435) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11724174 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15432) (15433) (15434) (15435) (15436) (15437) (15438) ... (16168) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:22pm On Jan 13
Joebie:
Congrats to me. Just had a baby
congratulations

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:25pm On Jan 13
JayromWrites:

I have a feeling Okoye turned down an invitation. Dude Body language doesn't seem as though he is fully committed to the GWG.

My opinion though
watched Oma Akatugba’s video clip shortly after the squad was announced, I think Maduka was dropped
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 1:27pm On Jan 13
Hurray
I hear Iheanacho the sniper is in camp grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 1:29pm On Jan 13
jihday:
watched Oma Akatugba’s video clip shortly after the squad was announced, I think Maduka was dropped

Dropped or turned down, that is the best decision of his career so far. Looking forward to watch him again this weekend as Udinese's first choice goalkeeper.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 1:29pm On Jan 13
Oasis007:
Iheanacho and Onuachu are in camp now. Moffi to arrive tomorrow.
Glad Iheanacho is in
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:29pm On Jan 13
Kog45:
See life Ademola no fit sing Apala but Edo gangan Osimhen dey sing Apala...this country for sweet if no be our leaders.
saw a recent video where Osimhen was so excited to be on video call with Osupa Saheed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 1:29pm On Jan 13
yinkeys:
Hurray
I hear Iheanacho the sniper is in camp grin

I feel Lookman would be the star man of this AfCon for the super eagles.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 1:30pm On Jan 13
jihday:
saw a recent video where Osimhen was so excited to be on video call with Osupa Saheed

Who is Osupa Saheed?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:33pm On Jan 13
Papi85:
committed? Of course he is committed but needed time to get his career back with Udinese and to me that was the right decision to make

Mk em go nations cup do one mistake Mk una kuku kill am completely Abi?

The abuse and insults he got after the last afcon can only be measured to that of Yakubu’s 2010 World Cup miss.

Even only fine wey the bobo fine dey vex some pple 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Uzoho wey be like malnourished Gorilla don even make worst errors but haven’t been insulted like Maduka during the last Afcon

If I be the guy self I go just retire from international football after receiving such backlash and cyber bullying
omo, abuse from the last Afcon go still dey give am headache

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:33pm On Jan 13
ChrisKels:

Who is Osupa Saheed?
a popular Yoruba Fuji musician
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 1:35pm On Jan 13
There is something I have been meaning to ask. Elyte and our other Muslim brothers please educate me. Why do Africans, especially West Africans spell Arabic names differently from their original Arabic spellings?

Kalidu instead of the sweet sounding Kalid.

Saidu instead of Saeed.

Umaru instead of Umar

Bashiru instead of Bashir

Aishatu instead of Aisha etc

Abeg help me with simple explanation or reason as to why we spell and pronounce these names differently? Even Mohamed in West Africa is Mohammadu. Why do we always add that "u"

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 1:37pm On Jan 13
jihday:
a popular Yoruba Fuji musician

Okay. Don't know him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 1:38pm On Jan 13
quickberry:

433, Simon, Osimhen and Chukwueze in attack.
So they played 10 against 11?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 1:40pm On Jan 13
Joebie:
Joebaba, congratulations!!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:41pm On Jan 13
Joebie:
Congratulations. Joy joy joy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 1:43pm On Jan 13
On paper, this line up should be bringing down any team.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:43pm On Jan 13
Yeah the way Vicmo was for us in 2013.

ChrisKels:

I feel Lookman would be the star man of this AfCon for the super eagles.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:45pm On Jan 13
Pepe has not been great, Haller has been battling injuries but their midfield is fire.

ChrisKels:
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 1:46pm On Jan 13
yinkeys:

Glad Iheanacho is in
I doubt if he'll play tomorrow.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:47pm On Jan 13
What about those Chelsea and Man U boys Boja and Ahmadou?

ChrisKels:
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 1:48pm On Jan 13
chrisooblog:
Yeah the way Vicmo was for us in 2013.

Yea I'm just having that feeling.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 1:51pm On Jan 13
Can we still get this Adarabioyo guy after Afcon?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:58pm On Jan 13
ChrisKels:
There is something I have been meaning to ask. Elyte and our other Muslim brothers please educate me. Why do Africans, especially West Africans spell Arabic names differently from their original Arabic spellings?

Saidu instead of Saeed.

Umaru instead of Umar

Abeg help me with simple explanation or reason as to why we spell and pronounce these names differently?
It's just common for people to localize names and give it indigenous flavor. Note that the Arabs too arabicized Jewish names - Solomon is suleiman, Abraham is Ibrahim, Moses is Musa, Joseph is Yusuf. Isaac is Isah etc. Notice how O is converted to U. So our people add U at the end of Arabic names due to the aural nature of African languages.

Many English words are derived from Arabic too. Words alkali, Algebra, alcohol, ghoul, assassin, Cotton, lemon, alcove

For instance my people localized Zainab to Jenabu cos we pronounce Z as J and we pronounce the English word school as shikulu. So language is like that. I understand Wike is Nwike.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 1:58pm On Jan 13
ChrisKels:

Saidu instead of Saeed.

Umaru instead of Umar

Bashiru instead of Bashir

Abeg help me with simple explanation or reason as to why we spell and pronounce these names differently? Even Mohamed in West Africa is Mohammadu. Why do we always add that "u"
it maybe the elderly factor. Most old people can't pronounce most Arabic names as sharp as young people so when pronouncing they tend to stretch the names. So as time went by, the old people version stuck and people just went along with it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 2:02pm On Jan 13
Amedino99:
it maybe the elderly factor. Most old people can't pronounce most Arabic names as sharp as young people so when pronouncing they tend to stretch the names. So as time went by, the old people version stuck and people just went along with it.
I don't think it has anything to do with elderly people. It's the nature of language. Read my post above.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Omanambala(m): 2:05pm On Jan 13
Joebie:

Cc.joebie Congratulations brother man!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 2:06pm On Jan 13
jihday:
omo, abuse from the last Afcon go still dey give am headache
it unsettled the guy for a long time even affected his form and confidence
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 2:06pm On Jan 13
Mujtahida:

It's just common for people to localize names and give it indigenous flavor. Note that the Arabs too arabicized Jewish names - Solomon is suleiman, Abraham is Ibrahim, Moses is Musa, Joseph is Yusuf. Isaac is Isah etc. Notice how O is converted to U. So our people add U at the end of Arabic names due to the aural nature of African languages.

Many English words are derived from Arabic too. Words alkali, Algebra, alcohol, ghoul, assassin, Cotton, lemon, alcove

For instance my people localized Zainab to Jenabu cos we pronounce Z as J and we pronounce the English word school as shikulu. So language is like that. I understand Wike is Nwike.
Solomon is the anglicized version. Solomon is schlomo, Moses is moshe, abraham is Avraham, Joseph is Yosef and so on. These are the Jewish versions.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 2:10pm On Jan 13
Mujtahida:

I don't think it has anything to do with elderly people. It's the nature of language. Read my post above.
yeah. Your explanation makes more sense.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 2:12pm On Jan 13
Papi85:
my reason is that when the team is chasing a game ie like trying to equalize or win by breaking opposition’s defensive low block having him and iwobi in midfield will add more advantage to the team in terms of creativity

Aribo is more creative than Onyeka while the latter is more defensive minded with bigger engine to run up and down the pitch closing down opposition’s attack as well as bomb forward when required

Also aribo has eyes for goals and more dangerous when he ventures forward to the opposition’s box unlike Onyeka

The thing I like about Onyeka is that he knows how to shot from outside the 18 yard box same wit onyedika

To b honest we are covered in the midfield provided no injuries it is only left for the coach to put them at the right spot

Defensive midfielders: Alhassan and Onyedika
Attacking Midfielders/Supporting Strikers: Iwobi, Aribo and Iheanacho
Central Midfielders: Onyeka

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 2:17pm On Jan 13
Amedino99:
Solomon is the anglicized version. Solomon is schlomo, Moses is moshe, abraham is Avraham, Joseph is Yosef and so on. These are the Jewish versions.
Ohhh yes absolutely you are spot on. So you see how localities add variation to these names through several language. Spanish which likes to pronounce every vowel will be Mose for Moses, Jose for Joseph etc.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Papi85: 2:22pm On Jan 13
daveP:
Can we still get this Adarabioyo guy after Afcon?
not possible

(1) (2) (3) ... (15432) (15433) (15434) (15435) (15436) (15437) (15438) ... (16168) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: AndSunGorilla, Napoleon55(m), comodo, dymusty86, opes, ThanosKilla(m), Sugarboyy(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.