Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:45 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (15629) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11672671 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15626) (15627) (15628) (15629) (15630) (15631) (15632) ... (16152) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:46am On Jan 28
charlesemeka85:

Jose Peseiro has explained his decision to bench Kelechi Iheanacho in the Super Eagles 2-0 win over the Indomitable Lions on Saturday night.

At his pre-match press conference on Friday, the Portuguese football tactician hinted at Iheanacho getting his first taste of action against Cameroon but the Leicester City striker remained rooted to the bench for the fourth consecutive game.

The former Manchester City star has caught the eye in his appearances for the national team since the end of last season with five goal contributions in five games.

The fact that the Super Eagles were a goal up and needed to protect their lead was probably a huge factor as to why Iheanacho was benched against the Indomitable Lions, Peseiro has suggested.

However, nine minutes into extra time, another latecomer to the Super Eagles AFCON camp in Abdjan in Southampton loanee Paul Onuachu hopped off the bench to replace Victor Osimhen, raising more questions than answers regarding Iheanacho's inactivity in the ongoing tournament.

"I explained yesterday. I know the value, quality and capacity of Kelechi. I don't like to speak about individual situations because other players didn't play also," Peseiro told reporters.

"Kelechi arrived here without one collective practice. Thanks to Leicester for his recovery, brought him here but without collective training.

"If we needed to score today, it's possible he would have entered but they didn't need to score. I need to protect my goal, why put Kelechi if I'm fighting to win the match.

"Ahmed Musa, Samuel had very good games, today he didn't play. Aribo played last match but didn't play today. I cannot put 25 players."

Given that Ademola Lookman bagged a brace and Osimhen is undroppable, the chances of Iheanacho being named in the starting lineup against Angola on Friday are non-existent

He is effectively saying what l have been saying continuously, KC is not match fit 😞.

You can't come straight from injury after your last competitive game was on the 2nd December last year and be fit and ready to perform.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by dijon: 11:46am On Jan 28
Nwanne u be case....u no go kill me for this platform.... cheesy cheesy
charlesemeka85:
atleast Onyeka go bite am 🤣🤣🤣🤣

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by femicyrus(m): 11:49am On Jan 28
charlesemeka85:
CIV beating Senegal will be a huge shock to me.

Nwanne I don’t see CIV doing Jack against Senegal unless CAF decides to Favor them via the referee and VAR.

This CIV team is one of the worst in this competition.
What if they bling in dlogba against Senegal? The Cameloon joka against eagles on my mind
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tinneh: 11:52am On Jan 28
ChrisKels:

I felt for him when he gave away the corner kick that resulted to what would have been our first goal. I had to caution myself to stop feeling pity for my enemies, but I really felt for the guy, especially when he was trying to defend the goal with his life.
When he touched that ball, my mind went to the situation that led to the corner kick that kicked out ghana , when ofori touched the ball under little pressure

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tinneh: 11:57am On Jan 28
Barryseal:
Nigerian journalists on their knees begging Nwabili to fit for Friday. I don't know if anyone saw how the players were frenetically propping Nwabili to get back on his feet when he went down.
If we can't have Nwabili ready, then the Enyimba keeper should be suited up. He's been inform this season and last I checked, he even saved a penalty.
Peseiro, please be brave!

https://twitter.com/OneJoblessBoy/status/1751540543648129109?t=Fmp90LHfx4jHDozbcS5kBw&s=19
No major difference between uzoho and the enyimba goalie, both don't inspire confidence at all , I've watched ojo's game in caf clubcompetitions, he's also error prone...let's just hope nwabali is fit before friday
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:03pm On Jan 28
Una no gree me hear word for this guy? 🤔

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 12:03pm On Jan 28
Congratulations to all football loving Nigerians!

Glad Ademola Lookman has finally clicked in the GWG.

His performance yesterday reminiscence Victor Moses 2013 AFCON show.

He was all over the pitch yesterday.

I saw hunger and fire in his face right from the blast of the whistle.

The entire team look different from what they use to be prior to the tournament.

Jose Piseiro and his backroom staffs deserves some accolades for this transformation.

Long, may the Eagles continue to Soar!

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 12:04pm On Jan 28
ChrisKels:
I don't know why I keep having this feeling that Ivory and Nigeria will have a rematch in this tournament.
Someone I share this with
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:04pm On Jan 28
charlesemeka85:
If say Bassey grow for 9ja I swear that guy for be cultist 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
his brother is actually a gang member in the UK, I’m sure if Calvin didn’t play football he’ll be a gang member too

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:08pm On Jan 28
jihday:
his brother is actually a gang member in the UK, I’m sure if Calvin didn’t play football he’ll be a gang member too
yea I knw. Also heard the brother was a good footballer even better than bassey but gang lifestyle didn’t allow him to concentrate

His brother was a youth player with watford

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:09pm On Jan 28
Barryseal:
Nigerian journalists on their knees begging Nwabili to fit for Friday. I don't know if anyone saw how the players were frenetically propping Nwabili to get back on his feet when he went down.
If we can't have Nwabili ready, then the Enyimba keeper should be suited up. He's been inform this season and last I checked, he even saved a penalty.

https://twitter.com/OneJoblessBoy/status/1751540543648129109?t=Fmp90LHfx4jHDozbcS5kBw&s=19
this video is very funny 😂, see how they are begging him

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:10pm On Jan 28
Talk na do gaffer 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:12pm On Jan 28
Ndi sexy football 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Na pride dey worry una

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 12:13pm On Jan 28
Tinneh:

No major difference between uzoho and the enyimba goalie, both don't inspire confidence at all , I've watched ojo's game in caf clubcompetitions, he's also error prone...let's just hope nwabali is fit before friday
We don't need a prime Buffon to beat Angola. They probably create 2 chances max.

Our keeper needs to make routine saves and prolly pick up crosses most of the game. These basics, Uzoho struggles with. Leke do not make the ordinary look difficult.

When I proped up Nwabili, I was actually the first to talk about him on this thread, alot of people laughed us out of room. Saying all kinds about Nwabili when he was in Lobi, Enyimba et all, see where we are today.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:15pm On Jan 28
ChrisKels:
Una no gree me hear word for this guy? 🤔
007 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 12:36pm On Jan 28
Emmy450:
no one take's you seriously any more,. You've become more of a clout chaser and your takes are becoming more irrational than banters.. SMH

This one thinks I clog clout ... I've never asked anyone to take me serious , I only expose the fraud national team and save your energy , for it will happen when it will
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:37pm On Jan 28
Barryseal:

We don't need a prime Buffon to beat Angola. They probably create 2 chances max.

Our keeper needs to make routine saves and prolly pick up crosses most of the game. These basics, Uzoho struggles with. Leke do not make the ordinary look difficult.

When I proped up Nwabili, I was actually the first to talk about him on this thread, alot of people laughed us out of room. Saying all kinds about Nwabili when he was in Lobi, Enyimba et all, see where we are today.
and who be the keeper wey go mk the routine saves?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:37pm On Jan 28
gustav25:

This one thinks I clog clout ... I've never asked anyone to take me serious , I only expose the fraud national team and save your energy , for it will happen when it will
go back to your hole and continue resting 🥱

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sugarboyy(m): 12:42pm On Jan 28
ChrisKels:

That reminds me, xup that your guy from Benin? He has not been here for months. With all these cult killings in Benin since August, I hope say head still dey neck?
Which guy for Benin, hope not me sha? 🤣🤣
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 12:46pm On Jan 28
charlesemeka85:
Madueke, Olise, Ugochukwu, Okoli, Chukwuemeka, Tosin etc Mk una switch and be worshiped like gods here in 9ja 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Tosin will be the first. Once SE gets to finals. Once he does, Another one will follow. World cup on their mind.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:46pm On Jan 28
M7even:

Very good display. He got tired but still effective. He was able to contribute to the second goal. The bench team understands why they could not substitute him. I am beginning to think players who played early in European academies have a better technical understanding. Look at the second goal, all starting from Bassey winning a freekick, and then himself, lookman and Iwobi doing the job to score the second goal. That was beautiful.
Credit must go to Omeruo for picking out Bassey with his long range free kick. It was right at the spot where Bassey picked the ball, that he was fouled and got a free kick which eventually led to the goal.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 12:48pm On Jan 28
Barryseal:

The fear of Uzoho is the beginning of sensegrin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:48pm On Jan 28
comodo:

Tosin will be the first. Once SE gets to finals. Once he does, Another one will follow. World cup on their mind.
also Kayode the young left bck at Fiorentina

There is one also at Lecce
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:48pm On Jan 28
solonnachi:

The fear of Uzoho is the beginning of sensegrin grin
🤣🤣🤣🤣

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 12:52pm On Jan 28
komekn:

He is effectively saying what l have been saying continuously, KC is not match fit 😞.

You can't come straight from injury after your last competitive game was on the 2nd December last year and be fit and ready to perform.
Off tangent.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:53pm On Jan 28
Tinneh:

After Afcon we need Christian Nwoke and Osayi Kingdom in eagles set up

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:55pm On Jan 28
Mujtahida:

Credit must go to Omeruo for picking out Bassey with his long range free kick. It was right at the spot where Bassey picked the ball, that he was fouled and got a free kick which eventually led to the goal.
Omeruo did the same thing during 2018 WC against Iceland.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Truidstarr: 1:03pm On Jan 28
TheSuperNerd:
Nigeria's defence yesterday in aerial battles: Absolute Dominance.

Note: Focus on 3 man backline (minus WBs).

William Troost Ekong: 7/7 aerial duels won (100%)

Semi Ajayi: 4/4 aerial duels won (100%)

Calvin Bassey: 4/5 aerial duels won (80%)

Cameroun's Frank Magri lost 12 aerial duels against our backline. He won just 1 out of 13.
Absolutely destroyed.

welcome back

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:03pm On Jan 28
Sportilitica:
Zaidu is key to this team
You are right. He's limited in attack but solid defensively. However, the easiest thing to do in football is to criticize.
Play am like this, do like this, like that, blah blah blah blah. But if you've ever played football you will be more temperate in your criticism.

What Osimhen does with that relentless pressing is scary. Like my God! The commentator said he's made of titanium.

You know Osimhen has a winning mentality. Some people play football and don't care about winning trophies. Not Osimhen. He's like Ronaldo in that aspect. He's ambitious.

I read yesterday that last season, Anguissa didn't believe Napoli could win the scudetto. It was Osimhen that infused the team with belief that they could win it.

He's doing the same thing with the Eagles. Even if we don't win,all I can say now is that I appreciate all the effort. I am happy. Winning the Afcon will only mean that the happiness I have now becomes a shared, explosive, much needed national tonic.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:04pm On Jan 28
ChrisKels:
In years to come, people like Kog45 will go online to write that they are disappointed in Osimhen that he was only able to score a goal in the AfCon tournament. They will totally forget every effort he made because to them, as a striker, all your efforts are in vain if you don't score. It doesn't matter if you win.

The kinda disrespect that guy gives Kanu is quite funny. What Osimhen did today brutally was what Kanu did in 2004 and it was finished by Utaka.
Oga,Osimhen is ahead of Kanu in eagle history and still has more records to break......I don't rate Kanu in eagles,my opinion.

I'm a real Orthodox football analysis who always center his point on Super eagles rating not club rating.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 1:07pm On Jan 28
Kog45:
Oga Osimhen is ahead of Kanu in eagle history and still has more records to break......I don't rate Kanu in eagles,my opinion.
Haaa don't say this ooo. Kanu was good. The fact he didn't score Afcon goal does not diminish his impact. I remember then Kanu comes in and the dynamics of a game changes.

He's arguably the most intelligent attacker Nigeria has ever had. And to have battled that heart issue and play with such sleekness and power, Kanu had steel.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:09pm On Jan 28
mostob:
Elder Kog, we will try herbs and concoction. grin grin grin
Aboniki balm and hot water is another option too. He must play against Angola.
Last 10 minutes showed that Nwabali was not in goal despite no pressure from Cameroon

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (15626) (15627) (15628) (15629) (15630) (15631) (15632) ... (16152) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: TheGoodJoe(m), Kingjite1 and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.