Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,835 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:44 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (15713) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11670436 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15710) (15711) (15712) (15713) (15714) (15715) (15716) ... (16151) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 8:49pm On Feb 03
safarigirl:
This tournament is the best thing football has had to offer in years

Better than the World Cup even. It is wild!

When Mikel said Afcon is like the UEFA Champs League, I thought he was joking, the guy knew what he was saying

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 8:50pm On Feb 03
The only thing I can say is Omo x1000.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:50pm On Feb 03
I hope the Malian team stays together and the coach continues. They can learn and move on.

Well done Nene. A bright future awaits him.

So much passion in the game.

The referee just spoilt a superb match with that last whistle.

Congratulations Ivory Coast for giving your country so much joy.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 8:51pm On Feb 03
The Malians look like a real contender.

I am happy they are out.

The Ivorian team doesn't look that great. But like I said previously they possess a great bench

They road their luck tonight again.

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 8:52pm On Feb 03
Starboytwo:
BurkinaFaso have been in the final or semifinal 3 of the last 5 afcon.

Since crossing them in 2013 I have always rated them. Big strong fast.

I don't really rate Mali. They always lose at the deciding matches.

Money is on the Babes wink
I said this a few days ago. Guess I was right afterall.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 8:52pm On Feb 03
TheSuperNerd:
To be honest, this is undeserved from Ivory Coast. But it is what it is.

That foul on the Malian player before CIV equalised is being brought to the fore. I understand the Malian frustrations but they also did themselves in. Defend!!!

To be fair, there's an unwritten rule that hosts tend to get some favour with calls. Like you said, the Malians are solely responsible for this loss. They got a penalty awarded which they lost. The host got a player sent off and then they got the lead. They somehow threw all this away all ok their own. The referee in my opinion was mostly fair.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 8:52pm On Feb 03
Marjoribanks:

I am happy they are out.

The Ivorian team doesn't look that great. But like I said previously they possess a great bench

This is no longer luck o, something dey that team that's dangerous
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 8:52pm On Feb 03
This match annoy me like say na Nigeria play.

Who use this thing do Mali sef

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:53pm On Feb 03
Unlimited22:
Portugal 2016 vibes

DR Congo please do it for the culture o

If dem no fit do am, we go do am.

Na so Burkina been dey go in 2013. We still jam for front

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 8:54pm On Feb 03
I am smelling a certain “Di Mateo” of chelsea 2012 in this CIV coach…sacking a head coach and having a makeshift coach going all the way to the semifinals..guys trust me CIV will edge DRC…the best team to play them in the Final is Nigeria…if they meet SA/CPV its gonna be an easy win for them
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 8:54pm On Feb 03
TheGoodJoe:
I hope the Malian team stays together and the coach continues. They can learn and move on.

I don't think he did. Only one minute was given as additional time and he was well above that. He could have ended the game when CIV scored but allowed Mali a chance before the final whistle. Same ref gave the host a red card and awarded a penalty to Mali. I think for the most part he was fair.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:56pm On Feb 03
lovewins:

I don't think he did. Only one minute was given as additional time and he was well above that. He could have ended the game when CIV scored but allowed Mali a chance before the final whistle. Same ref gave the host a red card and awarded a penalty to Mali. I think for the most part he was fair.

That is why I said he spoilt it with that last call. Allow them take their corner and blow the whistle.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 8:56pm On Feb 03
Goke7:

When Mikel said Afcon is like the UEFA Champs League, I thought he was joking, the guy knew what he was saying

I'm not even sure the Champions League can give you this sort of drama.

Do you know how much drama we have had in this tournament? And the officiating is still 97% perfect. UCL will have shady calls, AFCON barely has any.

You cannot get this kind of drama in another tournament

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 8:57pm On Feb 03
safarigirl:

I'm not even sure the Champions League can give you this sort of drama.

Do you know how much drama we have had in this tournament? And the officiating is still 97% perfect. UCL will have shady calls, AFCON barely has any.

You cannot get this kind of drama in another tournament

I can't even fault this. I agree 100%

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 8:57pm On Feb 03
Should i say the malian team are inexperienced ? They give away stupid fouls in dangerous positions and cost themselves..... Ivory coast was dangerous with every set piece no surprises when they got the winner through it .

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 8:57pm On Feb 03
They have absolutely no excuse.

Leading one nil with a man extra and you still blow it. Couldn't even save face by taking it is to penalties and blaming it on luck.

Shebi na military in dictator be their head of state make them pray he no give them CIV treatment of 2000.

TheSuperNerd:
To be honest, this is undeserved from Ivory Coast. But it is what it is.

That foul on the Malian player before CIV equalised is being brought to the fore. I understand the Malian frustrations but they also did themselves in. Defend!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 8:58pm On Feb 03
Ivory coast strength is in their bench

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 8:59pm On Feb 03
minfelix:
I am smelling a certain “Di Mateo” of chelsea 2012 in this CIV coach…sacking a head coach and having a makeshift coach going all the way to the semifinals..guys trust me CIV will edge DRC…the best team to play them in the Final is Nigeria…if they meet SA/CPV its gonna be an easy win for them

CIV are the favorites now, which is good for us in a way.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 9:00pm On Feb 03
Where was CAF security when those malian players were harassing the ref ? They should be running full speed on the pitch to protect the ref

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 9:02pm On Feb 03
chrisooblog:

Leading one nil with a man extra and you still blow it. Couldn't even save face by taking it is to penalties and blaming it on luck.

Shebi na military in dictator be their head of state make them pray he no give them CIV treatment of 2000.

grin I just remembered the have a junta as head of state. Koboko may be shared
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 9:02pm On Feb 03
This match reminds of Nigeria vs Ghana 2008.

Ghana got a red card at 1-1 yet scored in the last minute to send us packing in the Quarters!

What a game!!

Big ups to the Ivorians for finding a way back into this!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 9:04pm On Feb 03
Odunayaw:
grin I just remembered the have a junta as head of state. Koboko may be shared

they need that koboko, especially for harassing the ref at the end after giving you a penalty and a red card to your opponents.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Setaleonoz(m): 9:04pm On Feb 03
Marjoribanks:

I am happy they are out.

They are not great one bit
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 9:04pm On Feb 03
Marjoribanks:
This match reminds of Nigeria vs Ghana 2008.

Ghana got a red card at 1-1 yet scored in the last minute to send us packing in the Quarters!

What a game!!

Big ups to the Ivorians for finding a way back into this!!
Agogo, that bald headed demon.

Nigeria went to sleep in that match. That year I cried twice, this match and the Olympics final. I wept fam

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 9:05pm On Feb 03
TheGoodJoe:

Seeing as Mali have a history for being perennial underachievers,I would advise that you take your mind off them...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 9:05pm On Feb 03
Mehn. I stood up and clapped both hands on my head for good 5 minutes after that last goal enter.

Mehn. I can't remember the last time a football tournament was like this...

This is crazy football. This is breathtaking football.

There should be an award for the best tournaments hosted.

This afcon is pure joy. Damn.

Electric. Terrific. Bombastic.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tinneh: 9:07pm On Feb 03
yinkeys:
We are going to penalties
Afcon go shock you 😆 🤣
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ThunderFireAgba: 9:08pm On Feb 03
elyte89:

Wetin u Dey watch now 😀😀

grin cheesy grin ma broda, man no be God o.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 9:09pm On Feb 03
Starboytwo:
I said this a few days ago. Guess I was right afterall.

But nor be Burkina Faso win them na
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tinneh: 9:11pm On Feb 03
chrisooblog:

Please explain more on CIV treatment of 2000s
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 9:13pm On Feb 03
Seidou Keita could not believe it. This is beyond shocking...

I feel sorry for Mali's coach. Real sorry, that man couldn't take it.

I feel sorry for all Malians. Sometimes it's like that.

Chai.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mrwilliams9: 9:16pm On Feb 03
Goke7:

don't you think civil wars and political instability might have affected the development of their football over time? Both countries have seen shege pro max in terms of wars, hunger, drought and famine

I do think its part of it, that’s why I said it can’t happen today. Other nations have passed them by.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15710) (15711) (15712) (15713) (15714) (15715) (15716) ... (16151) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Kog45(m), jolly94, Odunayaw(m), Mujtahida and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.