Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,507 members, 7,819,838 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:11 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (15721) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11696994 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15718) (15719) (15720) (15721) (15722) (15723) (15724) ... (16158) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Hanibal(m): 8:10am On Feb 04
If Nigeria wins this tournament, some people here will still complain that we didn't win "properly"

Many here including me wrote off this team, but here they are in the semifinals, complaints still full everywhere
Na wa

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Hanibal(m): 8:11am On Feb 04
If Nigeria wins this tournament, some people here will still complain that we didn't win it "properly"

Many here including me wrote off this team, but here they are in the semifinals, complaints still full everywhere .
Na wa undecided

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 8:20am On Feb 04
TheGoodJoe:

What I saw yesterday looks a long term 0lan. Good number of young players, good football playing strategy and a management setup that looks sound. Maintain this for four years and they can do wonders.

Felt for Seydoux Keita today.
has there ever been an afcon tournament Mali has played with a poor management setup?. Those people are serial bottlers. No matter the promise they show they always come short at the deciding stage.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by orriyomi33(m): 8:23am On Feb 04
NWABALI 🥅 is ready for the Southies.

"They know me and I know them"
No cause for concern, we are winning 🥇 this AFCON.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 8:37am On Feb 04
akwesenana:

South Africans sha. Them dey talk say 'we don't play better than Cape Verde or Morroco.'

Make Super Eagles just do this one, abeg.

I no go even mind silver sef.
All i know is SA met Mali who plays west african football like 9ja what was the result?…let them keep comparing us to morocco.
No matter how good we are, teams like Tunisia,Egypt,morocco,Algeria will always have a way to edge us in a Afcon knock out stages….inversely no matter how poor we are are we cant go down to all these COSAFA teams(Angola,SA,Namibia) in an Afcon knocl out stage
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 8:44am On Feb 04
Hanibal:
If Nigeria wins this tournament, some people here will still complain that we didn't win "properly"

Many here including me wrote off this team, but here they are in the semifinals, complaints still full everywhere
Na wa
i started rating this super eagles team from our draw against lesotho..though we played a draw, but just go back and see how we pinned them down till final whistle, shame we came out with a draw..that still boils down to no using chances and poor goal keeper then…when the “lets do it again” cliche started goong round i knew this team will go all the way to the final…as for SA? abeg forget those people jareee!
na make all our brothers living in SA just dey careful..those guys are extreme football fanatics

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by caprikon: 8:45am On Feb 04
A good number South Africans truly believe Naija would be easier than Cape Verde.

Talk about payback for AFCON 2000 semi final.

I just wish the profligacy of this team ends on Wednesday. These Southies need a humbling scoreline.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:52am On Feb 04
Amedino99:
has there ever been an afcon tournament Mali has played with a poor management setup?. Those people are serial bottlers. No matter the promise they show they always come short at the deciding stage.

They will soon click. It comes together with time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:53am On Feb 04
humility33:

So sir u think a player like Moffi can't wrap up the remaining 20+5 mins ?

U guys don't seems to understand that Pasiero is not substituting in the right players

Folks like Aribo or Onauchu are not supposed to be subbed in when u have the likes of Onyedika, Musa,Moffi and nacho on the bench even Bruno

I rather he subs in Moffi than Onuachu
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:56am On Feb 04
Nothing beats Arabic commentary - the passion, the poetry, the glossal tonality of the language really matches football. We don't understand it but we understand it.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 9:14am On Feb 04
Mujtahida:

Osimhen is exhausted. JPes does not have the boldness of Westerhof who threw in Amunike in the final of Afcon 94 notwithstanding the fact that Amunike had not played any match before that time. Amunike was talismanic - he delivered by scoring two goals.

In 2000 semi against SA, Bonfrere Joe who moved Tijani to the right. First half, we knack them two.

Osimhen is tired.

SA too will be exhausted after playing extra time, they may not have much energy to compete with us all the way. Our boys will do the business, we take this tournament one game per time and it's working.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 9:16am On Feb 04
humility33:

So sir u think a player like Moffi can't wrap up the remaining 20+5 mins ?

U guys don't seems to understand that Pasiero is not substituting in the right players

Folks like Aribo or Onauchu are not supposed to be subbed in when u have the likes of Onyedika, Musa,Moffi and nacho on the bench even Bruno

Its not by name checking players. This is professional football not amateur. Managers need specific players for different tasks based on game state.
Onuachu appears to be the player we use to close out games, a role he has played to perfection.
If what happened to Mali(conceding late goals) was our fate in round16 or quarter finals, you'd have called for Peseiro's sack.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 9:19am On Feb 04
Joebie:
This

that will be their tactic to drag the game into extra time but that's where our boys are more technical which is where we will win the game.

In our game against Angola, the first half was almost ending goalless, until Simon wrecked the damage that led to the goal. but for VAR that game was a 2-0 victory. Our boys will do the job against SA, for the first time in this competition, am not scared for the Eagles with this one

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 9:21am On Feb 04
Hanibal:

Na wa

except you just started watching afcon, same thing was said in 2013 grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:32am On Feb 04
The GKs with the most cleansheets at the tournament.

Our own, Stanley Nwabali

And

SA's Ronwen Williams.

And both play in the SA PSL.

One will concede. Another will not. One will come out with 5 cleansheets and head to the final. The other will stay on four cleansheets and head to Third place playoff.

It's The Super Eagles all the way.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 9:45am On Feb 04
charlesemeka85:
I believe the inclusion of ekong and Musa were strongly influenced by the nff

Jpes and some ogas at the football house re rumored to be in loggerheads over the inclusion of the above mentioned duo

I said this before the AFCON started
Samueltemi337:
Why una just dey write Ekong off like this

For me I still rate Ekong over Semi Ajayi

But charlesemeka85 and kog45 way nor Sabi watch ball dey argue
Kog45:
I will pick Semi over Ekong but good that Omeruo made it cuz in tournament Omeruo do raise his game.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:55am On Feb 04
Samueltemi337:

I said this before the AFCON started

But charlesemeka85 and kog45 way nor Sabi watch ball dey argue
🤣
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 9:55am On Feb 04
TheSuperNerd:

Our own, Stanley Nwabali

And

SA's Ronwen Williams.

One will concede. Another will not. One will come out with 5 cleansheets and head to the final. The other will stay on four cleansheets and head to Third place playoff.

Another outcome is that they both could concede and end their clean sheet run. One will just have to concede more than the other.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Ihenzy(m): 10:02am On Feb 04
Hugo Broos : " That was our worse performance at AFCON."

"We have to be strong against my friend Jose Peseiro who visited our country to pretend like he wanted to visit a Goalkeeper, but actually He wanted to spy on my Bafana camp for World cup qualifiers. Myself and Jose Peseiro we are the only two men who in the Continent to be hated so much by the media. But we communicate and remind ourselves that we are in charge,not you journalist who fuels supporters anger and criticism. All the negative begins with you before the fans can have a say. Football fans are the most important and innocent people in this game. But journalism always double cross the relationship between coaches and their fans. They call my team Sundowns to bring hate . They call Jose Peseiro team weak midfield. But we are with my friend to the semi final. Unfortunately one of us needs to go home after Wednesday. I hope we met in the Final"

"Nigeria have a golden Generation in Africa who can turn things be very quickly, meanwhile our goal as South Africa is to market our league to lead Africa and show them what is done in Europe can also be done in Africa."

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 10:19am On Feb 04
SA will be the SE toughest game yet

Similar stingy defense, good GK and then to top it off 8 of their starters play in the same team (Sundowns), so there's team chemistry

Won't be easy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 10:27am On Feb 04
An unpopular opinion ion would be to start moffi or KC ahead of osimhen

SE profligacy is primarily his fault.

I don't hate him mind you although I'm not a huge fan.

His market value is sure to drop after this afcon and he really needs to work on his finishing and positioning. His movement off the ball too because he has the most offside for the SE even more than a retired ighalo.

I see many arsenal fans saying they don't want him again because they feel he is too profligate and they would prefer an Ivan tone to him. A very painfully true take nonetheless

Jpes needs to test other strikers or atleast sub osimhen out early on. I mean a supposed world class striker can't be this bad in front of goal now

SE can't afford to be profligate vs SA . These guys havenconfidence in their goalie and would be looking to drag into penalties

I know insults would start pouring in soon. I am ready

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 10:36am On Feb 04
Any team I see in the quarters to semifinals I instantly respect. Even if you're Afghanistan for you to get to that level shows how good you are.

Yes we have history, pedigree and quality on our side but we should be ready for SA to fight with all their is breath.

I pray for an easy game but I'm too pragmatic not to know it will be a battle but I'm fairly optimistic we will go through to the finals.

Blueelf:

Similar stingy defense, good GK and then to top it off 8 of their starters play in the same team (Sundowns), so there's team chemistry

Won't be easy

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lordofstrings: 10:39am On Feb 04
Princezibk:
Oh lawd ,,, I believe we shall scale through SA with more determination, relentless hardwork diluted with Luck and God’s favor 💯 by our boy’s side …

I hope Osimhen could score amazing 2 goals 🙏🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬… It’s good for his image too
Nigeria to win 7 - 0
Osimhen to score 5 grin

11 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 10:54am On Feb 04
If it's the same formation I don't see how Moffi or Iheanacho would start ahead of Osimhen except for injuries.

I agree with you that we need a plan B to bring out the attacking talents of our players but singling out Osimhen is laughable.

Victor's presence, pressing and overall hustle is why we are today contemplating a place in the AFCON final.

Thank God you already confirmed you don't rate him that much so I don't take your opinions of him to heart.

All the players with 'market value' have gone home, the same one whose value will drop is still going strong.

And please stop with this capping about world class players not performing poorly at tournaments. Messi, CR7, Thierry Henry to mention a few have at one time or the other played poorly at major competitions for their countries.

I have confidence Osimhen will prove you wrong as usual like he did when you expressed doubt him winning the AFOTY.

Please when it happens maintain the same energy don't come and be shining grin saying he has proved you wrong.

Blueelf:
An unpopular opinion ion would be to start moffi or KC ahead of osimhen

SE profligacy is primarily his fault.

I don't hate him mind you although I'm not a huge fan.

His market value is sure to drop after this afcon and he really needs to work on his finishing and positioning. His movement off the ball too because he has the most offside for the SE even more than a retired ighalo.

I see many arsenal fans saying they don't want him again because they feel he is too profligate and they would prefer an Ivan tone to him. A very painfully true take nonetheless

Jpes needs to test other strikers or atleast sub osimhen out early on. I mean a supposed world class striker can't be this bad in front of goal now

SE can't afford to be profligate vs SA . These guys havenconfidence in their goalie and would be looking to drag into penalties

I know insults would start pouring in soon. I am ready

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lordofstrings: 10:56am On Feb 04
TheSuperNerd:

Our own, Stanley Nwabali

And

SA's Ronwen Williams.

Is the penalty not counted
Or is clean sheet for 90min alone?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 10:57am On Feb 04
Blueelf:

Won't be easy

Abeg no change o, maintain your negative stand. It’s working for us 😜

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:07am On Feb 04
Marjoribanks:
Ivory Coast will open up allowing Mali to score more goals.

Not easy playing 11v11 against this Malian team let alone 10 men!

Mali v DRC

Nigeria v Cape Verde

Who could have predicted this?
Some people and outright conclusion...

You should have waited till FT.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 11:10am On Feb 04
chrisooblog:
If it's the same formation I don't see how Moffi or Iheanacho would start ahead of Osimhen except for injuries.

I agree with you that we need a plan B to bring out the attacking talents of our players but singling out Osimhen is laughable.

Victor's presence, pressing and overall hustle is why we are today contemplating a place in the AFCON final.

Thank God you already confirmed you don't rate him that much so I don't take your opinions of him to heart.

All the players with 'market value' have gone home, the same one whose value will drop is still going strong.

And please stop with this capping about world class players not performing poorly at tournaments. Messi, CR7, Thierry Henry to mention a few have at one time or the other played poorly at major competitions for their countries.

I have confidence Osimhen will prove you wrong as usual like he did when you expressed doubt him winning the AFOTY.

Please when it happens maintain the same energy don't come and be shining grin saying he has proved you wrong.

I am actually hoping he proves me wrong

And learn to read without emotional sentiments attached

I have no I'll will towards the lad but he is a major reason the SE have Struggles to win 2:0 in most games
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 11:17am On Feb 04
Blueelf:

Won't be easy
Team chemistry or not, we have a certain APOTY who will bring 🥵🥵 can their backline withstand HEAT ??

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 11:36am On Feb 04
Leave chemistry for WAEC

There is no peace for the wicked grin

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Moniter0: 11:44am On Feb 04

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by orriyomi33(m): 11:51am On Feb 04
The two teams that will be playing the final are at the front.
🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬🇳🇬

1 Like 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (15718) (15719) (15720) (15721) (15722) (15723) (15724) ... (16158) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.