Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,939 members, 7,810,609 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:01 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (15808) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11597798 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15805) (15806) (15807) (15808) (15809) (15810) (15811) ... (16122) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 9:19am On Feb 10
opes:
AFCON 1988
GROUP STAGE - Cameroon 1 Vs Nigeria 1 (draw)
FINAL MATCH - CAMEROON 1 Vs Nigeria 0

AFCON 1990
GROUP STAGE - Algeria 5 Vs Nigeria 1
FINAL MATCH - ALGERIA 1 Vs Nigeria 0

AFCON 2006
GROUP STAGE - Egypt 3 Vs Ivory Coast1
FINAL MATCH - EGYPT 4 Vs Ivory coast 2

AFCON 2008
GROUP STAGE - Egypt 4 Vs Cameroon 2
FINAL MATCH -EGYPT 1 Vs Cameroon 0

AFCON 2013
GROUP STAGE - Nigeria1 Vs Burkina Faso 1 ( draw)
FINAL MATCH - NIGERIA 1Vs Burkina Faso 0

AFCON 2019
GROUP STAGE - Algeria1 Vs Senegal 0
FINAL MATCH - ALGERIA1 Vs Senegal 0

AFCON 2023
GROUP STAGE - Nigeria 1 Vs Ivory coast 0
FINAL MATCH - Nigeria will repeat the history
Yes history will repeat itself.

Also it's not a new thing for a host country to lose a final. We did at year 2000 losing to Cameroon in Lagos.

Remember u17 worldcup we hosted in 2009, dem Sanni Emmanuel/Sarki nd co. Switzerland beat us at Teslim Balogun.

At club level, Bayern lost UCL to Chelsea on home soil etc.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:46am On Feb 10
Moniter0:
Aina's best game has come with him playing on the right.
I still insist that Bassey should be starting on the left. He should only be drafted to LCB "if" he gets tired, that way the team must have benefited from his play for 70 minutes.
Yes you are right on Aina best position but I will pick Aina over Sanusi at LB.....good having as LB but as it stand he is doing a yeoman job assisting in the middle and also assisting Sanusi.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 10:05am On Feb 10
BankyGee:

Yeah, Chinese authority no gree because of the backlash they faced from fans due to the fact that Messi did not play the friendlies against Al-Hilal and Al-Nassr.

It is CR7 that did not play against inter Miami,
while Messi play the final 25mins

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by opes: 10:05am On Feb 10
Starboytwo:
Yes history will repeat itself.

Also it's not a new thing for a host country to lose a final. We did at year 2000 losing to Cameroon in Lagos.

Remember u17 worldcup we hosted in 2009, dem Sanni Emmanuel/Sarki nd co. Switzerland beat us at Teslim Balogun.

At club level, Bayern lost UCL to Chelsea on home soil etc.

In 1982, Libya hosted the tournament and lost in the final to Ghana. Same Ghana defeated Tunisia, the host country in the final of 1965 edition
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 11:02am On Feb 10
do4luv14:

It is CR7 that did not play against inter Miami,
while Messi play the final 25mins

Final 7 minutes .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:09am On Feb 10
Kog45:
Yes you are right on Aina best position but I will pick Aina over Sanusi at LB.....good having as LB but as it stand he is doing a yeoman job assisting in the middle and also assisting Sanusi.
How can you take Aina from the right where you get to reap maximum benefit and put him on the right where Zaidu offers good defensive cover? You want to attack and score forgetting that if they score you due to frailty at the back and you fail to score, dem don win you. Didn't you guys see that Bassey for the first time in this tournament was not comfortable due to the absence of Zaidu?

It's not that I like Zaidu but I'd rather reap maximum benefit in having Aina play on the right than take 70 percent having him on the left where Zaidu offers at least 90 % defensive cover.

Truth is that in terms of getting into good position on the left Zaidu is better than Aina. It's just his final balls that let's him down. If not he'd have scored at least two goals by now

12 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nomyth: 11:44am On Feb 10
How impressed were you about Peseiro's response to South Africa's game plan especially in the second half?

How satisfactory is the coach's ability to read the game and make necessary adjustments?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:51am On Feb 10
Mujtahida:

How can you take Aina from the right where you get to reap maximum benefit and put him on the right where Zaidu offers good defensive cover? You want to attack and score forgetting that if they score you due to frailty at the back and you fail to score, dem don win you. Didn't you guys see that Bassey for the first time in this tournament was not comfortable due to the absence of Zaidu?

It's not that I like Zaidu but I'd rather reap maximum benefit in having Aina play on the right than take 70 percent having him on the left where Zaidu offers at least 90 % defensive cover.

Truth is that in terms of getting into good position on the left Zaidu is better than Aina. It's just his final balls that let's him down. If not he'd have scored at least two goals by now
Sir,am not a coach but Sanusi will not make my team,not hating but my personal conviction.As it is nothing stopped him from starting against Ivory Coast cuz Peseiro believe so much in him but as a fan am just expressing my opinion,possibly I maybe wrong.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:54am On Feb 10
BankyGee:

Nope it was from Yusuf, but we move. Yusuf good, people at the viewing centre just dey cÜrs€ the guy that day, not knowing that the game changed immediately he entered, make he just dey calm down - baby calm down (in Arabian commentator's voice 😹)
Yes it happens in football but we need Alhassan against CIV to do a lot of covering

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:00pm On Feb 10
Stanley Nwabali family

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:03pm On Feb 10

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 12:17pm On Feb 10
Amedino99:
Update

Better we don't need any Argentina friendly again. I even think we should stop playing friendlies with them. It makes them easily have the physiological edge anytime we meet them in real competitions like the World Cup. Enough is Enough jare. Let's play more friendlies with European sides to sharpen our team.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:28pm On Feb 10
Kog45:
Uncle K' na nickname nau just like Iheanacho "senior man"....in Man city then Iheanacho nickname na Uncle😙
oh ok
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:29pm On Feb 10
Moniter0:
Alhassan is commended for his athleticism however he is too rash. He alone conceded the penalty and also conceded the free kick that forced the keeper to make that punch from which South Africa capitalized on the rebound and almost scored. And he was supposed to mark the guy that went for the rebound but he was caught ball watching.
he isn’t too rash, anybody can make the foul
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 12:46pm On Feb 10
Scenes where we're winning 3-0 with about 5 minutes to go then Musa comes in for Osimhen.

Baba God, abeg run it for us.

15 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 12:55pm On Feb 10
He wasn't even the one that made that last minutes foul. Don't mind him.
jihday:
he isn’t too rash, anybody can make the foul

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 12:59pm On Feb 10
akwesenana:

As a DM, would you rather play next to Iwobi or Okocha?

I feel you already know the answer to this
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 1:00pm On Feb 10
UncleHaba22:
I think based on the Experience he has in the AFCON and The Super Eagles Uzoho should start the final to regain his Confidence

Up Naija 🇳🇬

Hadit been I know you now, I give you a dirty slap

clown

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 1:01pm On Feb 10
I held similar opinion not until we played South Africa.
Even most analyst believed the South Africans carved us open on both the left and right side cos Sanusi did not play and Aina is not comfortable playing as LWB.
No country has been able to open up our defense like the Southies did.
Bassey looked so uncomfortable in that game.
Sanusi defensive qualities and pace make things easier for Bassey.
Kog45:
Sir,am not a coach but Sanusi will not make my team,not hating but my personal conviction.As it is nothing stopped him from starting against Ivory Coast cuz Peseiro believe so much in him but as a fan am just expressing my opinion,possibly I maybe wrong.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 1:03pm On Feb 10
Kog45:
Shaq dey feel eagles

BOss, I think this was photo shopped

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Blueelf: 1:06pm On Feb 10
dkay51:

After all the complaints, there's a reason he still starts games, no one in the team currently offers what he does.

That shows you how poor the midfield is

If the SE meet an European team, they will get whacked
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Princezibk: 1:15pm On Feb 10
dijon:
Guy not sis. Though confidential but its out there....only because he is a principled and gentle man that respect contract otherwise he would have confirmed it himself.
Only the President can change his stand but on concrete binding conditions and agreement.
Omg 😳 I believe he should continue with the team till after World Cup , hopefully we qualify…

He already have a good chemistry with the team 😫😫

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:38pm On Feb 10
You've spoken my full mind D'Law.

Zaidu for all his frailties is full of boundless energy who will always keep the opposition wingers and fullbacks occupied. Aina is a better crosser of the ball no doubt but he doesn't get into goal scoring positions the way Sanusi. Like you rightly said if not for wastefulness and lack of composure Zaidu would have at least been on two goals.

My main concern for Sunday is the midfield. I don't want a situation where we will be soaking up pressure for large sections of the game. Senegal sat back and were punished we shouldn't think how we approached them in the group stage will work out. I think if we take the game to them they'll be caught off guard a little cause I'm sure they will be expecting 'hezbollah' football from us.

Mujtahida:

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 1:43pm On Feb 10
Marjoribanks:
I held similar opinion not until we played South Africa.
Even most analyst believed the South Africans carved us open on both the left and right side cos Sanusi did not play and Aina is not comfortable playing as LWB.
No country has been able to open up our defense like the Southies did.
Bassey looked so uncomfortable in that game.
Sanusi defensive qualities and pace make things easier for Bassey.
It was Ekong who didn't look comfortable in that game. Let's not kid ourselves, that was Ekong's worst match in this tournament. That Bafana numb 9, Evidence Makgopa worried Ekong so much in that game. He practically took Ekong on a dog walk almost all game.
That yellow card Ekong got which we all applauded was infact a show of weakness as he was outpaced most of the game. I want to believe it was the tigh injury he's carrying but if he's not fully fit, please and please, Omeruo should start tomorrow.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BankyGee(m): 1:46pm On Feb 10
Moniter0:
the game changed from Nigeria leading by 1-0 to 1-1.
Even the 1–0 lead happened as a result of his inclusion. You no get talk.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Barryseal: 1:48pm On Feb 10
Who are the coaches listed to take over from Peseiro? The NFF should have 5 candidates at the back of their mind now if they are real professionals.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Moniter0: 1:51pm On Feb 10

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Moniter0: 1:55pm On Feb 10

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 2:17pm On Feb 10
Moniter0:
What I had in mind when I first came up with this formation about Iheanacho playing as a Right Winger is what actually played out when he came on. With a little time on the pitch, he was able to release Moffi which drew a foul, red card, and almost resulted to a penalty for Nigeria. Iheanacho offers a serious goal threat, and also creates chances with his well taken passes which strikers and runners like Osimhen and Moffi can actually thrive on.
Moreso, the South Africans could barely attack from his wing while he was on the pitch, so this ludicrous talk of not offering defensive cover doesn't hold water and quite implausible.
Whose wing did Sithole break through again that Ekong had to take one for the team?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Princezibk: 2:19pm On Feb 10
We winning 🏆 by a 2-1 or 2-0 ,,, Thanks 🙏

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 2:22pm On Feb 10
Moniter0:
What I had in mind when I first came up with this formation about Iheanacho playing as a Right Winger is what actually played out when he came on. With a little time on the pitch, he was able to release Moffi which drew a foul, red card, and almost resulted to a penalty for Nigeria. Iheanacho offers a serious goal threat, and also creates chances with his well taken passes which strikers and runners like Osimhen and Moffi can actually thrive on.
Moreso, the South Africans could barely attack from his wing while he was on the pitch, so this ludicrous talk of not offering defensive cover doesn't hold water and quite implausible.
Your 3CBs lack pace.

Pepe who will be facing Omeruo will make a mince meat of him.

Bassey should start as LCB.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 2:24pm On Feb 10
Barryseal:

It was Ekong who didn't look comfortable in that game. Let's not kid ourselves, that was Ekong's worst match in this tournament. That Bafana numb 9, Evidence Makgopa worried Ekong so much in that game. He practically took Ekong on a dog walk almost all game.
That yellow card Ekong got which we all applauded was infact a show of weakness as he was outpaced most of the game. I want to believe it was the tigh injury he's carrying but if he's not fully fit, please and please, Omeruo should start tomorrow.
Makgopa worried Ekong? Which match did you watch?

Outpaced once AND the only time there was a foot race is now most of the game?

What match did you watch?

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (15805) (15806) (15807) (15808) (15809) (15810) (15811) ... (16122) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: GeneralDae, Truidstarr, opes and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.