Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,713 members, 7,820,493 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:51 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (15854) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11702708 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15851) (15852) (15853) (15854) (15855) (15856) (15857) ... (16159) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:31pm On Feb 12
Ekong should have put head for that 2nd goal. The first goal was just too poor. Set pieces again!! This one really hurts sha. But. we will be back.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 12:31pm On Feb 12
Too much salt.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 12:33pm On Feb 12
Football isn't by running 100 miles , it's brain work

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 12:34pm On Feb 12
M7even:

😂😂😂😭😭😭

Kanu believe it !!! He gave me 1

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chuks404: 12:35pm On Feb 12
gustav25:
Football isn't by running 100 miles , it's brain work
coward.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:35pm On Feb 12
Unfortunately Alex is the convenient scapegoat.

Funny thing is I'm surprised how every body has developed amnesia that in Iwobi's first game where we deployed three midfielders he gave some defense splitting passes and even had a shot at goal.

Alex sacrificed his game for the team in this tournament yes he wasn't excellent but haba he tried na!

Safarigirl has already trashed out the point thoroughly so won't say more.

charlesemeka85:
many of them fail to put into consideration that this is the first time iwobi is been deployed as a DLPM

A role that he isn’t familiar with coupled with the pressure and demands required in a big tournament like the afcon

All their eyes were just on the guy to put a foot wrong so they will slaughter him. The games he played very well none of them commended him but once he has a bad game they all crawl out gun blazing 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Even many paint it like he is in the super eagles till date because of his influential uncle jay jay

And the same influence hv kept him in the epl over 7 seasons since he graduated from Arsenal’s youth team

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:38pm On Feb 12
Pressure too much but the flick was top class would beat many a defender.

BascoVanVeli:
Ekong should have put head for that 2nd goal. The first goal was just too poor. Set pieces again!! This one really hurts sha. But. we will be back.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 12:40pm On Feb 12
chuks404:
coward.

Adringa go also dribble you comot here
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:40pm On Feb 12
forgiveness:
We need to replace some players and bring in those that missed out due to injury and new players.

This is my own.

GK Francis Uzoho - Maduka Okoye
GK Olorunleke - Adebayo Adeleye
GK Stanley Nwabili
DF Ola Aina
DF Zaidu Sanusi
DF William Troost-Ekong
DF Semi Ajayi
DF Bright Osayi-Samuel
DF Bruno Onyemaechi - Patrick Dorgu
DF Chidozie Awaziem - Tosin Adarabioyo
DF Calvin Bassey
DF Kenneth Omeruo
MF Alhassan Yusuf
MF Joe Aribo - Micheal Olise
MF Moses Simon
MF Alex Iwobi
MF Raphael Onyedika - Wilfred Ndidi
FW Ahmed Musa - Nathan Tella
FW Victor Osimhen
FW Samuel Chukwueze
FW Kelechi Iheanacho
FW Ademola Lookma
FW Paul Onuachu - Taiwo Awoniyi
FW Terem Moffi - Victor Boniface

I can't remember another for now. If you can, please drop and show me who you want to drop.

Terem was not given any opportunity to show what he can do , he should be aggrieved. We had the opportunity to go 4-4-2 with VO and Moffi, but we opted for a negative defensive posture.

Aribo not really sure what he is midfielder or winger or what in the team ❓

Zaidu runs and has a natural left foot, what else ❓ He has zero end product and lack composure. I know the dogs abuse I got when I said he was poor. I said that about 3 years ago.

Onyedika is a very big strong and powerful brick 🧱 wall very immobile can he open up defences with clever passing and 1V1 dominance,a big NO.

It seems Onyemaechi was there for decoration, the same goes for Awaziem, Musa ( motivational speaker)
Omeruo old time sake, KC was never match fit for a
gruelling AFCON and had not been in form for ages.

Onuachu is an appendage it seems or a big tree 🌴 to lump the ball to when VO is exhausted. That's not very positive.

Alhassan is that player who does everything but is not good at anything. He huffs and he puffs but never blows the house 🏠 down. Very limited creativity, no physicality, nothing outstanding. That in itself is the problem, we need invention, creativity, and dominance. Alhassan promises but cannot deliver.

So what do we do ❓

We have to get quality players start early engage communicate and relate well before they BLOW 🌬️

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gustav25: 12:40pm On Feb 12
Monster Goal Machine. The emperor, the conqueror, the lion , the game changer

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:49pm On Feb 12
chrisooblog:
Pressure too much but the flick was top class would beat many a defender.

He was aiming to block the shot instead of going for the ball. That ball was there to be won. Once Haller got a Touch there was nothing anyone could do. If Ekong had at least gone for the header it might have thrown him off.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:49pm On Feb 12
chrisooblog:
The two have a share of the blame more so JP cause he didn't do enough to scout for new midfielders. Nwabali that he discovered na fight cos left to him Uzoho would have been in goal.

Rohr for all his faults always tried bringing in and integrating fresh players.

I mean you took a player like Bruno and Raphael to a tournament and didn't give them minutes are they that bad?

I'm going to be controversial.

But NFF seem not to be looking for players as opposed to deals anchored ⚓ on self interest.

Nwaneri is 16 and played for Arsenal the othe day. How old was Iwobi when he played for the SE ( he had not played one game in the EPL)

There are several players who are good but not considered in Europe.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 12:52pm On Feb 12
BascoVanVeli:
I’d it true they didn’t allow Nigerian fans get into the stadium
Heard Nigerians weren’t even up to 1000 and a number were outside
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:53pm On Feb 12
komekn:

Terem was not given any opportunity to show what he can do , he should be aggrieved. We had the opportunity to go 4-4-2 with VO and Moffi, but we opted for a negative defensive posture.

Aribo not really sure what he is midfielder or winger or what in the team ❓

Zaidu runs and has a natural left foot, what else ❓ He has zero end product and lack composure. I know the dogs abuse I got when I said he was poor. I said that about 3 years ago.

Onyedika is a very big strong and powerful brick 🧱 wall very immobile can he open up defences with clever passing and 1V1 dominance,a big NO.

It seems Onyemaechi was there for decoration, the same goes for Awaziem, Musa ( motivational speaker)
Omeruo old time sake, KC was never match fit for a
gruelling AFCON and had not been in form for ages.

Onuachu is an appendage it seems or a big tree 🌴 to lump the ball to when VO is exhausted. That's not very positive.

Alhassan is that player who does everything but is not good at anything. He huffs and he puffs but never blows the house 🏠 down. Very limited creativity, no physicality, nothing outstanding. That in itself is the problem, we need invention, creativity, and dominance. Alhassan promises but cannot deliver.

So what do we do ❓

We have to get quality players start early engage communicate and relate well before they BLOW 🌬️

The only playes left on my list are Onyedika and Zaidu. The rest should take a bow.

Onyedika is DMF and that's primary role. If you're looking for a defence splitting midfielder, take to Oliseh to play for Nigeria.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by yinkeys(m): 12:55pm On Feb 12
Fatigue
Poor rotation by coach
Osimhen had nothing
Moffi & Iheanacho should have been used a lot more in this tournament
They couldn’t high press

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:55pm On Feb 12
BascoVanVeli:

He was aiming to block the shot instead of going for the ball. That ball was there to be won. Once Haller got a Touch there was nothing anyone could do. If Ekong had at least gone for the header it might have thrown him off.

I saw that too. Ekong didn't know Haller had another option. He should had contested the ball since he arrived before Haller.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:02pm On Feb 12
True unfortunately at this point the pressure was relentless. Mental fatigue I guess on Ekong's part.

BascoVanVeli:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by leathalbeast: 1:02pm On Feb 12
Princezibk:
Your them hasn’t achieved anything sensible for the past 40 yrs or so ,,, you’re here mourning [right][/right]
excuse me , how many afcon trophies do you have ? Hahaahahha losers remorse.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by leathalbeast: 1:04pm On Feb 12
Y'all must agree that haller is better than osihmen.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 1:06pm On Feb 12
yinkeys:
Fatigue
Poor rotation by coach
Osimhen had nothing
Moffi & Iheanacho should have been used a lot more in this tournament

Yeah especially for Aina and Bassey in yesterday's game
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:13pm On Feb 12
Sometimes you also need officiating to go your way.

Who else noticed VAR failed to take a look at a very obvious elbow by Kessie on Zaidu in the first half.

Home town decision I guess because I'm so sure it would have been checked if a Nigerian player did the exact same thing.

Doesn't change the fact that the Ivorians were the better team.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:14pm On Feb 12
Paseiro said our players were nervous hence lost possession.

I think I will have to agree with him. They were overwhelmed by the occasion.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 1:15pm On Feb 12
MallamSpicey:
The truth we failed to tell ourselves is that we rode our luck to the final if we're to be honest, it was largely due to the sheer determination, "Naija no dey carry last" mentality and collective will of the team that brought us this far in the tournament, and not much of any managerial/coaching genius move from Peseiro who I think is an outdated below average coach. If reports about him not extending his contract are true, then I hope NFF pay him off, shake hands with him and wish him all the best.

Right now, we should try everything within our means to get either that Angolan coach, Equatorial Guinea or even the Mauritanian coach (those guys know how to coach), those are teams that actually played very good football and looked very well coached. Otherwise we might have to take a chance with an Amunike/Finidi and hope they get it right tactically.

As for the players...I think it's way overdue to start integrating new and fresh faces and ideas into the team...Iwobi for example seems overworked and out of ideas already, maybe it's time to try the likes of Dele-Bashiru, Ifeanyi Matthew, Michael Folrunsho, Nwakali, Victor Eletu and even Chuba Akpom in those creative plugs? It's borderline unacceptable that we keep parading a razor thin
midfield every time! A new coach with modern football IQ shouldn't struggle to invite 6-7 midfielders per game so we can actually dominate ball possession and pass the balls into channels to create overloads of chances for the forwards.

For the attack we look good, but surely the likes of Nathan Tella (who is settling in really well at Leverkusen), Gift Orban should now be integrated into the team...with Boniface/Osimhen as our main targetmen we should be fine.

Musa pls go far away from the NT and retire like a man that truly loves his nation...Chukwueze should be on permanent probation NOW, Simon Moses is still a good utility player off the bench.

Defence should feature new players like Igoh Ogbu, Adabarabioyo, Gab Osho (Luton town), and then we keep Captain Ekong for experience. We don't really need the likes of Awaziem anymore tbh, Omeruo can be kept around as a utility player for experience as well. We should also invite that lad from the NPFL who plays for Remo stars (Sodiq Ismail), the guy sabi cross, Zaidu no be am at all.

Goal-keeping is still a shuffle but Nwabali has definitely earned a good case for himself as the #1 man...Okoye seems to be getting into his groove with Udinese so he should be brought back to give more competition...then the likes of Adeleye, Arthur Okonkwo, Obasogie and one or two home based GKs should be monitored for call up's depending on their form.

I rest my case.
we got to the final and we merited it. Don't use grief and change the story. It was unfortunate that we chose the final to play our worst football but saying we got to the final on luck is absolute rubbish. The stats are there.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:19pm On Feb 12
forgiveness:
We need to replace some players and bring in those that missed out due to injury and new players.

This is my own.

GK Francis Uzoho - Maduka Okoye
GK Olorunleke - Adebayo Adeleye
GK Stanley Nwabili
DF Ola Aina
DF Zaidu Sanusi
DF William Troost-Ekong
DF Semi Ajayi
DF Bright Osayi-Samuel
DF Bruno Onyemaechi - Patrick Dorgu
DF Chidozie Awaziem - Tosin Adarabioyo
DF Calvin Bassey
DF Kenneth Omeruo
MF Alhassan Yusuf - Carney Chukwuemeka
MF Joe Aribo - Micheal Olise
MF Moses Simon
MF Alex Iwobi
MF Raphael Onyedika - Wilfred Ndidi
FW Ahmed Musa - Nathan Tella
FW Victor Osimhen
FW Samuel Chukwueze
FW Kelechi Iheanacho
FW Ademola Lookma
FW Paul Onuachu - Taiwo Awoniyi
FW Terem Moffi - Victor Boniface

I can't remember another for now. If you can, please drop and show me who you want to drop.
Christian Nwoke should replace Olorunleke Ojo....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:21pm On Feb 12
Kog45:
Christian Nwoke should replace Olorunleke Ojo....

I don't know him.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:28pm On Feb 12
Blueelf:

Loll, I don't agree with you at all

I have watched Christian Nwoke of Sporting Lagos and that guy makes School boy mistakes

Meanwhile, the Maduka is the starting GK of Udinese and has had recent good form

Oga, this your submission is not it at all. Christian Nwoke ke? lollllll
Oga naso Nwakali kept against Mexico conceded 4 goals and anytime his name comes up na Nwakali ke but miles ahead of Uzoho and Maduka....yes Maduka is Udinese number one and I watched all his matches,nothing special except his first match against Cagliary in FA cup,he conceded goals that Nwabali would saves with ease....my point enough of overrating European based goalkeepers......Nwabali in NPFL would not have make Afcon team......Christian Nwoke and Osayi Kingdom are keepers will need now to complement Nwabali not keepers that do not have any remarkable performance in eagles colour despite the opportunities given to them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by akwesenana: 1:30pm On Feb 12
BankyGee:
Nothing anybody wan tell me! Super Eagles 🦅 have made me proud! We need to build on this squad unity we've unlocked 🔓 at this AFCON, at least the boys no dey play selfish games again. 95% of Nigerians didn't expect them to cross the group stages, and they got to the finals! No need to blame anybody.

I don block two people wey drop laughing emojis for my WhatsApp after I posted "nice tournament boys, we move"

God bless real fans of the Super Eagles, not wereyyyy punters that'll come and pour frustrations on people they can't talk to if they meet face to face. 🇳🇬🦅🥈⚽
God bless you bro.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:33pm On Feb 12
forgiveness:

I saw that too. Ekong didn't know Haller had another option. He should had contested the ball since he arrived before Haller.
That's football and I want to say our defenders did well cuz Iwobi and Chuckwueze are liabilities in that match,the duo contributed nothing to defend the ball.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:35pm On Feb 12
forgiveness:

I don't know him.
Yes Sporting Lagos keeper,made Afcon provisional team,apart from him we Osayi Kingdom,Amas Obasogie and Kayode Bankole
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:36pm On Feb 12
Kog45:
That's football and I want to say our defenders did well cuz Iwobi and Chuckwueze are liabilities in that match,the duo contributed nothing to defend the ball.

The coach is to be blamed. He saw with his eyes and still left Iwobi till they equalized.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:37pm On Feb 12
Kog45:
Yes Sporting Lagos keeper,made Afcon provisional team,apart from him we Osayi Kingdom,Amas Obasogie and Kayode Bankole

Baba, has Adebayo been tested?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 1:40pm On Feb 12
Setaleonoz:
Kane cry

Compare to Alvarez. Very unfair.

Meanwhile, CIV beat us blue black. That was a very poor and timid display from our boys.

(1) (2) (3) ... (15851) (15852) (15853) (15854) (15855) (15856) (15857) ... (16159) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Odunayaw(m), femianski, comodo, 10cedes and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.