Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,931 members, 7,814,162 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (15897) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11636705 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15894) (15895) (15896) (15897) (15898) (15899) (15900) ... (16139) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 3:12pm On Feb 23
yinkeys:

Free kick
Go watch it again from another angle
If it was Afcon that would have been ruled out

Na CAF wey go carry VAR for head like gala
In another tournament, Big Vic would have ended the tourney as top scorer
All well and good
Atleast the world got to see his excellent team spirit and dedication to the collective cause
Those goals that were cancelled at the AFCON would have stood in the EPL or UCL

That's all

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 3:13pm On Feb 23
https://youtube.com/shorts/95SkoIYp7Ag?si=F18ddAGdSUp7Ekj5

This is how other Africans see us!

Don't let anyone make you believe otherwise!

They all wish they are like us!

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:16pm On Feb 23
Philosopher1979:

Stuff is south american clubs have started attracting investors. A few investors are already testing the waters and in 5 years time their stars can stay and even star players will move there.
They passed a new bill allowing foreign investors so football will not be in Europe only.
https://www.trtworld.com/magazine/will-brazilian-football-fully-open-its-doors-to-middle-eastern-investment-12777295

Check out the site.
The football purists will have their day again.
However modern football is not against dribbling but it must have a purpose or end product.
Messi drilbling results in many goals and assists.
However coaches like the old maurinho of Chelsea are extremists and want everyone to run and mark for 90 minutes.
Guardiola and klopp are still very reasonable.
Certain sections of European football can be just too strange and weird

Well said. To think that the South American leagues were at par with the leagues in Europe in the 70s and 80s really shows how far they've fallen off.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:16pm On Feb 23
Mujtahida:

Tempo is not my issue. I like the tempo of modern football. But dribbling is a dying art of football. There are tons of articles and videos online.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWOjRdmpM6I

Have you guys forgotten Neymar?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 3:18pm On Feb 23
Mujtahida:

Well said. To think that the South American leagues were at par with the leagues in Europe in the 70s and 80s really shows how far they've fallen off.

Money, Money, Money, that's all

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 3:19pm On Feb 23
Marjoribanks:
https://youtube.com/shorts/95SkoIYp7Ag?si=F18ddAGdSUp7Ekj5

This is how other Africans see us!

Don't let anyone make you believe otherwise!

They all wish they are like us!

Very true, na we Nigerians dey amplify the negative narratives. They are all dying to have what we have. I hope we all get sense asap

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 3:49pm On Feb 23
chrisooblog:
grin grin a player featuring consistently for a major European team not getting into a mid EPL club just because honestly grin grin grin grin

I like specifically established facts that are used to make substantive comparison deductions. I don't like emotive led assumptions anchored ⚓ on personal preferences and perceptions.

The EPL is the best league in the world, the most physically taxing, fast and competitive as well as the most expensive overall.

The Portuguese league is rated number 7 in Europe.

Just because honestly means what exactly

I will give you a proviso , proposition, players core objective is to maximise income, in the shortest possible time. In addition the best players get the best money 🤑.

What are you implying that Fulham a mid table team in the EPL is not better than Porto or vice versa. ❓

Let's start from the back Pepe highest paid player in Porto will struggle to get into a Championship team, that's a fact.

Zaidu will not get into Fulham fact. Marko Liverpool and Cardiff city reject in the here and now will not smell Fulham midfield. Galano who scored a winger goal attributed more to poor goal keeping is not better than Wilson ,Willian and or B. De Cordova-Reid.

These are the specifics . Finally ,none of these Fulham players will go to this so called major historical European club because Porto cannot afford them.

Below a catalogue salary comparison, it's currently €1.20 to £1 . When you want to make comparison. Pepe the highest paid Porto player is on €48k a week which is approx £40k .

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:59pm On Feb 23
Possibly Iwobi as well, but he didn’t excel in his assigned responsibility. Watching Iwobi at club he was never a GOOD tackler. He only closes his man down, but that’s it. He excels while advancing. Iwobi cannot excel in an ultra defensive set up.

Reason why he is getting more criticisms.

Mujtahida:

But not Iwobi?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by M7even(m): 4:06pm On Feb 23
charlesemeka85:
shut up and say what you knw

My first time in Ghana was 2007, and I have lived in both Ghana and south Africa. You lived in Nungua and you talk as if you lived in the whole accra, or as if you have lived outside the Greater Accra region. I have experienced all these. Like every new society, integrating takes time. I had lived in Ghana for 4 years, I had moments where I was treated like a stranger because I didn't know the currency or understand how the open market works. Ad that's not bad its just as much as any person will encounter. I did not live in Nungua which is like the equivalent of staying in a place like Ikorodu in lagos. I lived in what was more like a middlebrow environment between Dansoman and East Legon. And I can tell you the quality of people I interacted with were top-notch. There will always be good and bad people everywhere.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:15pm On Feb 23
Mujtahida:

[b]Komekn is anti Nigerian born players [/b]and in Nwakali he has found his prime target.

Even if komekn speaks the truth about Nwakali, I will still take it with a huge dose of salt.

Truth is good but some people use it to destroy just as light which is good can be used to blind.

You are so correct
Boniface
Ighalo Odion
Etebo
Ndidi
VO
Awoniyi
Bright
Moses S
Moffi
Onyeka

All these players were born in (little Lagos)Peckham London that's why I LIKE them so much. Some of them I know personally.

Or we could go in the recent past players like;

Yobo
Mikel
Yakubu
Anichebe
Shittu

Etc

These players were all born in the UK .

You need to develop your mind and update your perceptions from a parochial retrogressive one. And see things much more holistically without prejudice.

Because I don't rate your favourite players doesn't amount to HATE.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 4:16pm On Feb 23
Mujtahida:

Komekn is the most prejudicial and biased minded person on this thread. I should know cos I've been here for a while

It is not for nothing that he used those words - prejudice, bias - more than any other person here. It's all projection - accuse the other side of what you are guilty of
I just read where he said that Fulham threw away Anguissa and bought Iwobi. The same Anguissa in Napoli. Please help me ask him if Fulham is bigger than Napoli also? Because that's what his write up signifies.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:19pm On Feb 23
He uses words that are unnecessary making one lose the substance of the write up in the first place. That’s an unintelligent way of communicating.

Mujtahida:

Why?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:27pm On Feb 23
Should I have said his winning system in the AFCON? And he was condemned because he was not successful. Just because he failed at it does not mean it cannot be done. It’s not just about the formation you adopt, it’s how you play.

Mujtahida:

His system? Are we forgetting that Jpes adopted this ultra defensive strategy during the Afcon? I remember him playing 4-2-4 in a bid to accommodate our attackers and he was condemned.

Make una go find Okocha come oo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:30pm On Feb 23
Mujtahida:

Innit boys. If na Brentford dey play you will not look forward to seeing Frank the tank

No probably would not , I prefer to watch technically proficient and skillful players who consistently create wow 😳 moments in the game.

And I don't spend my time concentrating entirely on Nigerian players. I watch Toney with excited anticipation.

Dude was suspended for 8 months from all football ⚽ activity, was literally in solitary confinement,not even allowed to train with any team mates or you use the club facilities.

It's astounding after 8 months comes back and has scored 4 goals in the EPL in 6 games.

So if you think that means I hate Frank your tank, that's your RETROGRESSION based opinion.

When I watch Crystal palace I get excited watching Eze and Olise because they create continuously big Wow 🙀 moments in the game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:33pm On Feb 23
I was explaining why I think he missed those chances. It shows a drop of quality in his primary responsibility — his goals delivery

Mod
It seemed like Osimhen was everywhere
chrisooblog:
True but then again Osimhen missed quite a number of chances he should ordinarily have been burying at the AFCON. Maybe the mental exhaustion from having to press and drop deep into midfield affected him.

The 3-4-3 formation also affected the number of chances he got. The chances he had against EG in the group stage probably outnumbered the total number of chances he had for the rest of the tournament and no surprise it was in that one game he enjoy good supply he scored.

Still think JP missed a trick not playing more offensive in the final by deploying three midfielders.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:46pm On Feb 23
comodo:

I just read where he said that Fulham threw away Anguissa and bought Iwobi. The same Anguissa in Napoli. Please help me ask him if Fulham is bigger than Napoli also? Because that's what his write up signifies.

I can not legislate for your self birthed deductions

Fulham got rid of Anguissa but decided to go for Iwobi,what did they see that you cannot

I really don't know what club is bigger and by what matrix you arrived at that opinion.

My statement is intrinsically clear , it should make you think 🤔 about the actions of Fulham. They rejected Anguissa and accepted Iwobi, what did they see that you cannot it's very simple.

But you have TOTALLY misconstrued the non opinion based statement.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by akwesenana: 5:06pm On Feb 23
Una go just dey cap with confidence. SMH .

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Amedino99(m): 6:27pm On Feb 23
komekn:

Fulham got rid of Anguissa but decided to go for Iwobi,what did they see that you cannot

I really don't know what club is bigger and by what matrix you arrived at that opinion.

My statement is intrinsically clear , it is should make you think 🤔 about the actions of Fulham. They rejected Anguissa and accepted Iwobi, what did they see that you cannot it's very simple.

your statement doesn't make sense because they don't even play the same position. Anguissa played more as a dm for Fulham while iwobi plays higher in the field.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 7:21pm On Feb 23
komekn:

I like specifically established facts that are used to make substantive comparison deductions. I don't like emotive led assumptions anchored ⚓ on personal preferences and perceptions.

The EPL is the best league in the world, the most physically taxing, fast and competitive as well as the most expensive overall.

The Portuguese league is rated number 7 in Europe.

Just because honestly means what exactly

I will give you a proviso , proposition, players core objective is to maximise income, in the shortest possible time. In addition the best players get the best money 🤑.

What are you implying that Fulham a mid table team in the EPL is not better than Porto or vice versa. ❓

Let's start from the back Pepe highest paid player in Porto will struggle to get into a Championship team, that's a fact.

Zaidu will not get into Fulham fact. Marko Liverpool and Cardiff city reject in the here and now will not smell Fulham midfield. Galano who scored a winger goal attributed more to poor goal keeping is not better than Wilson ,Willian and or B. De Cordova-Reid.

These are the specifics . Finally ,none of these Fulham players will go to this so called major historical European club because Porto cannot afford them.

Below a catalogue salary comparison, it's currently €1.20 to £1 . When you want to make comparison. Pepe the highest paid Porto player is on €48k a week which is approx £40k .
if we compare the salary structure of Chelsea and madrid or even Barca, I believe Chelsea you will agree with me that Chelsea players earn higher. So we should conclude that Chelsea is a better club to Madrid.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:45pm On Feb 23
Not a 100 million player - Liverpool legend warns clubs against signing Osimhen

pulsesports.ngFeb 23, 2024 11:16 AM

Former Liverpool and Real Madrid star has made a damning statement about Napoli and Super Eagles striker Victor Osimhen.

Former Real Madrid and Liverpool star, Steve McManaman, has asserted that Napoli attacker Victor Osimhen is not worth £100 million at the moment.

Osimhen, who is increasingly likely to leave Napoli at the end of the season, has been linked with a move to the Premier League next season, and McManaman has shared his thoughts on the potential move.

Chelsea are looking to solve their goalscoring issues in the summer and are reportedly leading the race to sign Napoli's Victor Osimhen

McManaman believes Osimhen not worth 100 Million
Speaking on TNT Sports, McManaman said:

Victor Osimhen celebrates his goal against Barcelona in the UCL. (Photo Credit: UCL/X)
“His sellable value means it has to be the Premier League because German clubs do not have not got the finances.

"The big teams in Spain have not got the finances, particularly if Real Madrid take Mbappe.

“The only place he can go is the Premier League and he is certainly not playing like a £100 million player and that is what they want for him.”
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:09pm On Feb 23
MetalJigsaw:
Not a 100 million player - Liverpool legend warns clubs against signing Osimhen

pulsesports.ngFeb 23, 2024 11:16 AM

Former Liverpool and Real Madrid star has made a damning statement about Napoli and Super Eagles striker Victor Osimhen.

Former Real Madrid and Liverpool star, Steve McManaman, has asserted that Napoli attacker Victor Osimhen is not worth £100 million at the moment.

Osimhen, who is increasingly likely to leave Napoli at the end of the season, has been linked with a move to the Premier League next season, and McManaman has shared his thoughts on the potential move.

Chelsea are looking to solve their goalscoring issues in the summer and are reportedly leading the race to sign Napoli's Victor Osimhen

McManaman believes Osimhen not worth 100 Million
Speaking on TNT Sports, McManaman said:

Victor Osimhen celebrates his goal against Barcelona in the UCL. (Photo Credit: UCL/X)
“His sellable value means it has to be the Premier League because German clubs do not have not got the finances.

"The big teams in Spain have not got the finances, particularly if Real Madrid take Mbappe.

“The only place he can go is the Premier League and he is certainly not playing like a £100 million player and that is what they want for him.”
This one just wan use Osimhen shine. No be you dey pay, no be you Dem wan buy am for. Somebody tell Klopp to tell Mr. Amala to STFU

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 8:10pm On Feb 23
akwesenana:

Una go just dey cap with confidence. SMH .
Dear CAPtain Akwafina, bless us with the beautiful cappings instead.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 8:14pm On Feb 23
komekn:

My statement is intrinsically clear , it should make you think 🤔 about the actions of Fulham. They rejected Anguissa and accepted Iwobi, what did they see that you cannot it's very simple.

Between Napoli & Fulham, which one is a bigger club?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:23pm On Feb 23
mostob:
This one just wan use Osimhen shine. No be you dey pay, no be you Dem wan buy am for. Somebody tell Klopp to tell Mr. Amala to STFU
I'm sure if Osimhen was English he wouldnt make such an envious speech.

Aside Kane who is at the tail end of his career no English player is even worth above 50m and that is hurting them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:25pm On Feb 23
comodo:

Between Napoli & Fulham, which one is a bigger club?
Napoli of course.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by akwesenana: 8:34pm On Feb 23
mostob:
Dear CAPtain Akwafina, bless us with the beautiful cappings instead.
I was referring to komek.n
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 8:35pm On Feb 23
Orban starts

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lbrichman2: 8:35pm On Feb 23
MetalJigsaw:
I'm sure if Osimhen was English he wouldnt make such an envious speech.

Aside Kane who is at the tail end of his career no English player is even worth above 50m and that is hurting them.

Jude Bellingham
Bukayo Saka
Rice

Should I go on?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 8:36pm On Feb 23
Tella and Umar on the bench for their respective teams
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 8:36pm On Feb 23
Florunsho and Zikzee both starts
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 8:37pm On Feb 23
Tolu start for Genk
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 8:37pm On Feb 23
Esther's goal cancelled by the referee today against Cameroon brought back the painful memory of Henry Nwosu's goal against the same Cameroonians at AFCON 88. Africa referees have to do better! How in the hell was that Offside with two Cameroonians playing Esther onside? How?

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (15894) (15895) (15896) (15897) (15898) (15899) (15900) ... (16139) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kayburner, charlesemeka85(m), bossto(m), Danielnino00(m) and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.