Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,106 members, 7,818,302 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:15 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1700) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11681182 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1697) (1698) (1699) (1700) (1701) (1702) (1703) ... (16153) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:51pm On Oct 06, 2017
Joebie:
They both are young.. I never ruled Ebeuhi out.. But the fact remains he is not cementing that RB position any time soon. Likewise, Lookman, we don't need him at the moment, unless his stocks rises in future. They both have a point to prove. But Ebuehi is simply ahead. He is playing regularly for club and he is one step ahead as regards SE.

Modified
Rohr said Omeruo is still very much in his plans (made the standby list the last time. A position Ebuehi is now). Buttresses my point.

We Nigerians don't see beyond our nose hence the state of affairs.

When I spoke about Solanke people thought I was joking. Now, the boy is progressing. grin

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:52pm On Oct 06, 2017
We've made the argument before that we need a fourth CB. I want to think that we will be taking 4 CBs to the World Cup, unless of course some of our full backs or DMFs can play COMFORTABLY there -- but that's not the case so far. who wants Uche Agbo?
As it stands, we have Ekong, Balogun and Awaziem(?). Omeruo is still in SE fold. But I made the case for Ambrose' return instead. Unless of course we go for Felix Uduokhai. But he still has to agree, and then show that he is good enough in SE colors to make the team. Na long thing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:53pm On Oct 06, 2017
Oh my, oh my .... I wish that this line up pans out tomorrow:

Team A – Ikechukwu Ezenwa, Ola Aina, Shehu Abdullahi, Leon Balogun, William Troost-Ekong, O‎genyi Onazi, Wilfred Ndidi, John Obi Mikel, Victor Moses, Alex Iwobi, Odion Ighalo.

Ola Aina at LB for Elderson
And Iwobi for Simeon

If that happens, then we'll win the game easily.

FYI - I would've like to see KC start ahead of Ighalo but those two changes are more important to me.

O pari

blueto:
Owngoal at it again. Well, it seems Iwobi wll be starting ahead of Simon who was replaced by Iwobi in Team A probably following an unimpressive performance

Close Door Session – How Eagles Lined Up Plus Substitutions Made By Coach Gernot Rohr

The close door training session of the Super Eagles of Nigeria ‎gave a bit of hint as to how the team could line up against Zambia on Saturday in their penultimate World Cup 2018 Qualifiers tie.

Nigeria need a win to progress to the World Cup 2018 in Russia while Zambia will haveep alive their hope of qualifying for the World Cup.

Yesterday coach Gernot Rohr had his first close door session with the Super Eagles and it lasted for one hour, and during the course of the session the coach made some substitutions moving players from the Team A to B, and some from B to A.

The session ended 3-2 in favour of Team A thanks to a brace from Odion Ighalo with Alex Iwobi who was moved from Team B to A netting what ended as the winner, while Kelechi Iheanacho and Anthony Nwakaeme got the goals for the B team.

Here is how they lined up, including the substitutions made by the coach during the training session at the mainbowl of the Godswill Akpabio Stadium in Uyo.

Team A – Ikechukwu Ezenwa, Elderson Echiejile ( Ola Aina), Shehu Abdullahi, Leon Balogun, William Troost-Ekong, O‎genyi Onazi, Wilfred Ndidi, John Obi Mikel, Victor Moses, Moses Simon (Alex Iwobi), Odion Ighalo.

Team B – Daniel Akpeyi, Ola Aina ( Echiejile) , Chidozie Awaziem, Oghenekaro Etebo, Mikel Agu, John Ogu, Uche Agbo, Kelechi Iheanacho, Ahmed Musa, Anthony Nwakaeme, Alex Iwobi ( Simon).

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/06/close-door-session-how-eagles-lined-up-plus-substitutions-made-by-coach-gernot-rohr/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:55pm On Oct 06, 2017
do4luv14:

hmmm, so you wanna tell me, that, cos he had not been considered by the senior lions, we should go for him

I jst don't blame them, but ur system that makes us to be found wanting

Since, our system can't compete with the best in the world, we need to scout the ones good enough for the national team.

We don't need to wait until they start banging in 100 goals. Just check and confirm if they've got the talent. Simple.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:56pm On Oct 06, 2017
blueto:
ok, thanks for that correction.

No worries. grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:57pm On Oct 06, 2017
Mujtahida:

You are right. That's why we must be sure of persuading top talents to play for us. In all sincerity can Ebuehi play for Holland? Is he so good? I sometimes feel bad for him considering the effort we put in to secure his change of allegiance. Remember that he first didn't come. And then we cried some and then he responded. Only for him to come and remain on the bench. I am only reiterating your point and adding that we should go for top top talents who will easily break into the team, so that players don't switch allegiance and not still play for us. It would give us bad rep with future prospects. Till date we use John Fashanu to warn other foreign players

The Nigerian call ups have been great for Ebuehi. He is more expressive in his club now and more willing to go forward.

I believe he is already a better player.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:59pm On Oct 06, 2017
I agree. Ikeme would be going with us for moral support, I don't really expect him to return to full fitness before the current season ends.

As regards to Felix and Torunarigha, I have already warned Amaju Pinniki not to feck this one up. I don't wanna hear any ranting to the media and/or any useless photo ops. But let's hope he's listening.

O pari

Mujtahida:

Ikeme is not likely to be in full health for the world cup. Nura is injury prone. If we secure Felix and Torunarigha it would be great.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:59pm On Oct 06, 2017
Nigerians are so negative minded I swear. This is a team that has posted very good performances since this campaign began. Yet in any thread if they are ten comments, five are predicting that we will lose. They say they are being realistic. Contrast this with Zambia and her predominantly u-20 team with Zambians giving their team 100% support.

We no dey try. Haba!!!

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:59pm On Oct 06, 2017
Chrismario:

Unless we 'll add him to our u-20 squad undecided

He is not eligible for the under grade teams.

Besides, he can dispose the ones you know. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:01pm On Oct 06, 2017
Trust me. I've always supported the idea of catching them young.
And for those who were against it saying it is "begging", I told them it's not begging in anyway.
Remember I was in support of giving Onuora a lifeline since he later regretted his decision. I can give you other names of players I've canvassed for.

But my brother, If a player turned us down just RECENTLY, why make another approach? That's not seeing beyond one's nose. who does that?

These players cases are distinct. Now you wan jump go Solanke.

forgiveness:

We Nigerians don't see beyond our nose hence the state of affairs.

When I spoke about Solanke people thought I was joking. Now, the boy is progressing. grin

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:04pm On Oct 06, 2017
Icon79:
I agree. Ikeme would be going with us for moral support, I don't really expect him to return to full fitness before the current season ends.

As regards to Felix and Torunarigha, I have already warned Amaju Pinniki not to feck this one up. I don't wanna hear any ranting to the media and/or any useless photo ops. But let's hope he's listening.

O pari

Are you suggesting that Ikeme goes as a member of the squad just for moral support? If so I don't think that would be wise. Consider that though the world cup is glamorous, it's also stressful.
The team would play for him not he playing (through your suggestion) for the team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by adegwurulez(m): 7:09pm On Oct 06, 2017
Joebie:
haha..u sure say na Tammy?

Nah bro

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:10pm On Oct 06, 2017
tbaba1234:

The Nigerian call ups have been great for Ebuehi. He is more expressive in his club now and more willing to go forward.

I believe he is already a better player.
He needs to build up some muscles and be strong cos from what I read he already has speed. Let me say in goodjoe's voice:let him keep up the drills.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:10pm On Oct 06, 2017
ChrisKels:

I'll like to know the opponent was.

BTW, here is my legerdemain for Eagles' back line come January, before then, alotta water must have passed under the bridge.

Felix Uduokhai LB/CB.: Rohr gotta be blunt while trynna convince him to pledge because he definitely won't be considered by Loew enroute Russia, make him see reasons why he stand a better chance with the Eagles. Plus the hunger for the Mundial and its accolades

Jordan Torunarigha LB/CB: same blunt truth and reasons as Felix.

Nura Abdullahi RB: should be playing for Roma before and after January, ceteris paribus

The first two would come as back ups to Eldersson or better yet push him out totally, and to an extent with Awaziem, they would form backups to BALO-KONG also.

Nura would fight it out with Shehu, Aina and Ebuehi because no one owns that RB yet.

In the goalkeepers section, I'm tipping Enyeama to start playing before January, Ikeme, by January and of course Uzoho before and by January, for their respective first teams.

Moses Odubajo could challenge for the RB position. I rate him highly.

Uzoho is yet to make De LA coruna bench. Hope he does.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:12pm On Oct 06, 2017
I don't see how he would be match fit before the world cup, so the chances of him starting is slim to none. However if the team decides to invite him and keep him on the bench, as a third goalkeeper, I won't have any problem with that. He has earned the invite. I would definitely be happy to have him replace Akpeyi.

O pari

Mujtahida:

Are you suggesting that Ikeme goes as a member of the squad just for moral support? If so I don't think that would be wise. Consider that though the world cup is glamorous, it's also stressful.
The team would play for him not he playing (through your suggestion) for the team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:15pm On Oct 06, 2017
so what's the news?

adegwurulez:

Nah bro
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:15pm On Oct 06, 2017
Me too! But he too is injury prone. The last time I checked, he had a long term injury. I don't know whether he's back playing tho. I haven't watched the championship is a while.

O pari

forgiveness:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:17pm On Oct 06, 2017
safarigirl:
lol...Omeruo ke? Ha! Ebuehi is in a better position than Omeruo abeg...if we want to waste WC slot, we will waste it on Ebuehi before Omeruo
I disagree
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 7:19pm On Oct 06, 2017
ChrisKels:

I'll like to know the opponent was.

BTW, here is my legerdemain for Eagles' back line come January, before then, alotta water must have passed under the bridge.

Felix Uduokhai LB/CB.: Rohr gotta be blunt while trynna convince him to pledge because he definitely won't be considered by Loew enroute Russia, make him see reasons why he stand a better chance with the Eagles. Plus the hunger for the Mundial and its accolades

Jordan Torunarigha LB/CB: same blunt truth and reasons as Felix.

Nura Abdullahi RB: should be playing for Roma before and after January, ceteris paribus

The first two would come as back ups to Eldersson or better yet push him out totally, and to an extent with Awaziem, they would form backups to BALO-KONG also.

Nura would fight it out with Shehu, Aina and Ebuehi because no one owns that RB yet.

In the goalkeepers section, I'm tipping Enyeama to start playing before January, Ikeme, by January and of course Uzoho before and by January, for their respective first teams.

pls who is Uzoho,all we need now is top class keeper not average.

A keeper that w complement d average ones we have now not a keeper that is still struggling to make a bench in his club side.

What is d difference between Uzoho and Alampasu that make d former better coz Alampasu is still struggling to displace Akpeyi,Ezenwa now Ajiboye is in d contention.

My wish is for Enyeama to come back,hope he get club by January before WC.

Also wish Ikeme quick recovery but I doubt his WC participations
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:20pm On Oct 06, 2017
Joebie:
You and I know Everton is whack.

Me no follow.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:22pm On Oct 06, 2017
Based on his recent performances, abi?

forgiveness:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:23pm On Oct 06, 2017
Joebie:
We've already done that in the past.
Now, NEXT.

It's was done wrongly. Better approach next time. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by adegwurulez(m): 7:24pm On Oct 06, 2017
Joebie:
so what's the news?

BREAKING: NFF announce TGI Group as Official Food Partners and PayPorte as Official e-Commerce Partner #BigMoneyMoves
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:25pm On Oct 06, 2017
Great our girls will never go hungry.

adegwurulez:

BREAKING: NFF announce TGI Group as Official Food Partners and PayPorte as Official e-Commerce Partner #BigMoneyMoves

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:25pm On Oct 06, 2017
Icon79:
I don't see how he would be match fit before the world cup, so the chances of him starting is slim to none. However if the team decides to invite him and keep him on the bench, as a third goalkeeper, I won't have any problem with that. He has earned the invite. I would definitely be happy to have him replace Akpeyi.

O pari

That's what I am saying. He can't be a member of the squad. The medical guys here have analysed his situation and the consensus is that he's not likely to be fit for the World Cup cos of the leukaemia. So as painful as it is I don't think Ikeme will be at the Mundial
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:26pm On Oct 06, 2017
lol.. u sef dey do like say u never toast girl.

forgiveness:

It's was done wrongly. Better approach next time. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:28pm On Oct 06, 2017
Joebie:
I've never known us to beg players. For me begging is when you make an approach, they turn you down. Then you make another approach.
If Tammy had given his word for England earlier, I'm sure Pinnick won't have went on.
Lookman's case will not be an exception. Not like he is even ahead of those forwards we have compared him with.

It took the begging of the so called country where the sun never set to get America involved in World War two.

Great leaders go beyond egoism to achieve anything for their country. grin

As long as Ademola-lookman is making Everton bench, he is better. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:30pm On Oct 06, 2017
NETHERLANDS: Eerste Divisie - Round 8

Sittard 1-1 Nijmegen (30 mins played)
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:31pm On Oct 06, 2017
hahahaha..
Even Bassey Ezekiel is better, for making Barcelona B
Who loves sarcasm?
forgiveness:

It took the begging of the so called country where the sun never set to get America involved in World War two.

Great leaders go beyond egoism to achieve anything for their country. grin

As long as Ademola-lookman is making Everton bench, he is better. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 7:36pm On Oct 06, 2017
Joebie:
Trust me. I've always supported the idea of catching them young.
And for those who were against it saying it is "begging", I told them it's not begging in anyway.
Remember I was in support of giving Onuora a lifeline since he later regretted his decision. I can give you other names of players I've canvassed for.

But my brother, If a player turned us down just RECENTLY, why make another approach? That's not seeing beyond one's nose. who does that?

These players cases are distinct. Now you wan jump go Solanke.

Has Ademola-lookman turned us down publicly?

You can only know your true friends in time of need. This is the time to approach him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 7:38pm On Oct 06, 2017
Well, I don't know sha. I am just glad that it isn't me who's gonna make that decision.

O pari

Mujtahida:

That's what I am saying. He can't be a member of the squad. The medical guys here have analysed his situation and the consensus is that he's not likely to be fit for the World Cup cos of the leukaemia. So as painful as it is I don't think Ikeme will be at the Mundial
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:39pm On Oct 06, 2017
SUPER EAGLES CAMP UPDATE

The @NGSuperEagles have moved from the training ground to the main stadium to have a final feel of the pitch before tomorrow

(1) (2) (3) ... (1697) (1698) (1699) (1700) (1701) (1702) (1703) ... (16153) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Sugarboyy(m), do4luv14(m), Napoleon55(m), elyte89, kentebemoney and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.