Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,144 members, 7,818,433 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:38 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1764) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11682489 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1761) (1762) (1763) (1764) (1765) (1766) (1767) ... (16154) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:41pm On Oct 10, 2017
forgiveness:

So, if he begins to bench Belotti and scores goals we should ignore, ba?
That guy is not a Super Eagles material.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 6:42pm On Oct 10, 2017
AIG07:

Morocco played WCQ match same day we played Zambia and here they are playing another friendly.
I hope the NFF are seeing this. Make dem organise friendly for November o.

cc. Sir Mujtahida
The effect of a volatile, active tech director i guess. i suggest 2 south american teams, 3 top european teams(2going to russia, 1 not going), 2 asian wc teams. 7 in all. this will help.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 6:43pm On Oct 10, 2017
I'm not against a Tammy's possible switch. But my question is Is he better than the duo of O. Ighalo and KI? If yes, your assumption is on what basis? Youth football or club football?

We don't want a scenario where d dude will switch finish and he'll be forced on Rohr.
Cos the only player I rate ahead of this duo is Obafemi Martins and age is not on his side.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:43pm On Oct 10, 2017
daveP:
The effect of a volatile, active tech director i guess. i suggest 2 south american teams, 3 top european teams(2going to russia, 1 not going), 2 asian wc teams. 7 in all. this will help.
Seven is good but I will be pleasantly surprised if they play up to four.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 6:44pm On Oct 10, 2017
For those Clamouring for grade A friendly... This will help

Nigeria: World Cup - NFF Shops for Top Friendly Matches for Eagles

By John Egbokhan
Having qualified for the 2018 FIFA World Cup in Russia, top quality friendly matches against highly-rated teams are being lined up for the Super Eagles.

Nigeria became the first African nation to book one of the five spaces reserved for Africa at next summer's World Cup, with a 1-0 victory over the Chipolopolo of Zambia weekend at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium in Uyo.

And aware of the tough challenges that await the team in the 32-nation global football fiesta, the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) has begun shopping for top oppositions for the Eagles to play ahead of the World Cup finals, starting in June.

Speaking in an interview with Sports Vanguard, President of the NFF, Amaju Pinnick, who was expectedly elated with the team's qualification for the World Cup, said that the job for now was to get the Eagles ready for a credible outing, adding that the football-governing body has started consultations to ensure proper preparations.

"It's obviously a great moment for Nigeria and we are very proud of this team, who showed tenacity, dedication, discipline and unity to get the World Cup ticket.

"Now that they have the ticket, the ball is now in our court to start preparations, which have already started. We will ensure that they play top quality teams to get them in the best possible shape for the World Cup. Even as we speak, we have started getting calls and making calls to countries on the possibilities of playing against the Super Eagles", added Pinnick.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201710100777.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 6:45pm On Oct 10, 2017
If we pick 7/15 English/Nigerian youngsters that goal.com just featured, we would have the youngest team in Russia.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 6:47pm On Oct 10, 2017
daveP:
brilliant! only if the concerned will see this your post. That's the only way to prepare and to make the players psychologically ready cos most of our players haven't square up against world bests

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 6:48pm On Oct 10, 2017
AIG07:
I'm not against a Tammy's possible switch. But my question is Is he better than the duo of O. Ighalo and KI? If yes, your assumption is on what basis? Youth football or club football?

We don't want a scenario where d dude will switch finish and he'll be forced on Rohr.
Cos the only player I rate ahead of this duo is Obafemi Martins and age is not on his side.

Can anybody force player on Rohr?...
And the person will walk into first 23 list players?

At this moment he has the potential not as good as nacho and ighalo and moreover alot of water will still pass under the bridge 8 months too..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:48pm On Oct 10, 2017
AIG07:
Hmmm... Having read comments on who is better as a top 9 between Ighalo and K. Iheanacho.

I've come to pitch my tent with the pro Ighalos to continue spare heading our attack in a one man front man(4-5-1...) till we get a better 9 who has excellent finishing. Ighalo offers more than KI as a 9 in these area
1. Dribbling
2. Hold up play
3. Physicality
4. Build up play
5. Uses both feet
the above attributes portrays Ighalo as a team player which will be hard for any opponents to isolate him unlike KI who plays on the last man shoulder.

On the other hand, KI possesses.
1. Excellent finishing ability(he is clinical)
2. Great Passes
3. Positioning(he is a better space explorer)
4. Great Composure second to none in the Green White Green.

Having highlighted their abilities. KI will thrive more if played behind a striker or deployed as a false 9.
The goodjoe is coming to scrutinise this. Get ready to defend your submissions.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 6:49pm On Oct 10, 2017
Mujtahida:

Seven is good but I will be pleasantly surprised if they play up to four.
I expect venuzuela, chile or uruguay. wales, poland, italy, s/korea. if they play 4 strong teams only, no p. but twill be a waste of 8 good months to me
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:50pm On Oct 10, 2017
forgiveness:

He said nobody can score from outside the box but the @bolded also confirmed he did.
My specific reference was to the WCQ. I thought I clarified it for you. Out of 11 goals none came from outside the box. And supposing I take in the Tanzanian match it doesn't change the fact that we don't score from outside the box - that is One goal out of twelve
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 6:51pm On Oct 10, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:
For women football.

Exclusive: NFF Set To Appoint Ex-Houston Dash Boss Randy Waldrum As Super Falcons Coach
Published: October 10, 2017

Exclusive: NFF Set To Appoint Ex-Houston Dash Boss Randy Waldrum As Super Falcons Coach
According to information gathered by allnigeriasoccer.com, the Nigeria Football Federation are set to announce the appointment of former Houston Dash manager Randy Jordan Waldrum as the new Nigeria Women's National Team coach in the coming days.

During the interview for the vacant position, the Nigerian Federation Technical Committee had ten options on the table including two foreigners, and it was unanimously agreed that Waldrum should be Florence Omagbemi's successor because of his maturity and technical competence.

Three local coaches have been selected by the Federation to assist Randy Waldrum in carrying out his duties.

Edwin Okon has been appointed as the first assistant coach, Super Falcons record cap holder Maureen Mmadu is the second assistant coach, while the goalkeeper trainer is Auwal Bashar.

It was also recommended that Justin Madugu should manage the U17 Women's National Team, the Flamingoes, and he'll be assisted by Ajuma Peter Otache and Queen Akpan, while Taiwo Tundun is the goalkeeper trainer.

The 61-year-old Waldrum, who was a midfielder during his playing career, previously managed Pittsburg State University, University of Tulsa, University of Notre Dame and Trinidad and Tobago (women) teams.

Nigeria Women's National Team/Super Falcons

Head Coach : Randy Waldrum
First Assistant Coach : Godwin Okon
Second Assistant Coach : Maureen Madu
Goalkeeper Trainer : Auwal Bashar

U17 Women's Team/Flamingoes

Head Coach : Justin Madugu
First Assistant Coach : Ajuma Otache
Second Assitant Coach : Queen Akpan
Goalkeeper Trainer : Taiwo Tundun

Ifeanyi Emmanuel
this is a great news. I don't know him though. But I'm sure he'll bring something new.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by adegwurulez(m): 6:54pm On Oct 10, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:
GERNOT Rohr contract expires next year...

Renewal or ....

NFF is not talking about it maybe later...
Nigeria Football Federation, NFF will extend the contract of Super Eagles coach, Gernot Rohr, after Nigeria sealed qualification for the Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup.

Rohr, signed a two-year contract, while accepting the job in 2016 with the option of extending the deal, if Nigeria qualifies for the World Cup. Rohr will now be in charge of the team till the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations, if there are no twists in his romance with the NFF.

Speaking on the development, Rohr, 64, said he was glad Nigeria qualified for the World Cup as they were not given the chance to pick the ticket when the qualification series started with Cameroon and Algeria as bookmakers’ favourite to clinch the ticket.

“I believe Russia 2018 will be a good adventure for us all,” the German, who previously coached Burkina Faso said.

Rohr thanked Nigerians for the feat saying it was a collective effort, “Thank you Nigerians, we won this World Cup ticket together.”

NFF secretary-general, Mohammed Sanusi said the Super Eagles will have the best of preparations for the World Cup.

“We are excited and as this Board has continued to promise, it is not just about qualification. We will ensure the best preparation for the team to set a new record of performance for Nigeria at the FIFA World Cup when they go to Russia next year.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/10/rohr-earn-two-years-contract-extension/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 6:55pm On Oct 10, 2017
AIG07:
brilliant! only if the concerned will see this your post. That's the only way to prepare and to make the players psychologically ready cos most of our players haven't square up against world bests
Yeah cos if we play well and lose, at least we would know where to improve on. meanwhile our senators are suggesting looted funds be used to fund our russian dream. smh.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 6:58pm On Oct 10, 2017
LET PARTY BEGIN!!!

Nigeria: Who is on the plane to Russia?

12:43 PM WAT
Colin Udoh, KweséESPN

After being paired with Cameroon, Algeria and Zambia in the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying 'Group of Death', the Super Eagles booked their place in Russia last weekend with a game to spare.

This leaves coach Gernot Rohr with more than enough time to start thinking about his squad for Russia, and to ensure proper planning wins the day for what will be a hectic year.

So, jumping the gun ever so slightly, and barring injuries and/or major loss of form, here is what the German's travelling squad could look like if departure for the finals was tonight.

BOARDING PASSES IN HAND

John Mikel Obi, Victor Moses, Alex Iwobi, Leon Balogun, William Troost-Ekong, Moses Simon, Ogenyi Onazi, Wilfred Ndidi, Odion Ighalo, Elderson Echiejile, Shehu Abdullahi, Ikechukwu Ezenwa, Kelechi Iheanacho, Ola Aina

These players are all but nailed on for seats on the plane. Captain Mikel Obi is the leader and undisputed engine-room of the team. The rest of the starting XI and some subs can also be confident of having their boarding passes in hand.

Ikechukwu Ezenwa may or may not be the starting goalkeeper, but he is guaranteed a place. At the back, William Troost-Ekong and Leon Balogun are shoo-ins, and fullbacks Elderson Echiejile and Shehu Abdullahi have also shown enough consistency to be first-choice picks, with Ola Aina as back-up for one or both.

Joining Mikel Obi as midfield certainties would be Ogenyi Onazi and Wilfred Ndidi, while Victor Moses locks down one wide forward spot, and Moses Simon and Alex Iwobi will alternate the other.

Up-front, Odion Ighalo and a Kelechi Iheanacho will alternate the lone striker position.

AT THE CHECK-IN COUNTER

John Ogu, Ahmed Musa, Anthony Nwakaeme, Kenneth Omeruo, Dele Ajiboye, Daniel Akpeyi, Dele Alampasu, Uche Agbo, Chidozie Awaziem, Oghenekaro Etebo, Mikel Agu, Tyronne Ebuehi, Aaron Samuel

Of this group, Ahmed Musa and Kenneth Omeruo are the most likely to make the squad, mostly for their international experience. But both will need to get games under their belt between now and when that plane is scheduled to take off.

Anthony Nwakaeme and Aaron Samuel will battle for one spot as fallback to the lead striker.

Tyronne Ebuehi is additional back-up for the full-backs, but will need more international games first and prove his value. There are two spots up for grabs for the trio of John Ogu, Mikel Agu and Oghenekaro Etebo to battle over.

Uche Agbo and Chidozie Awaziem might both just get in as back-up to the centre-backs, but their relative inexperience might mean only one gets in, especially if Omeruo picks up one spot.

Dele Ajiboye, Dele Alampasu and Daniel Akpeyi also have two out of three goalkeeping positions to fight over.

WAITING FOR THEIR TICKETS

Vincent Enyeama, Alhassan Ibrahim, Afeez Aremu, Ifeanyi Ifeanyi, Victor Osimhen, Kayode Olanrewaju, Henry Onyekuru, Kelechi Nwakali, Musa Mohammed, Anderson Esiti, Sone Aluko, Hope Akpan

If Vincent Enyeama makes a retirement U-turn, he would automatically upgrade to a boarding pass. And that could have consequences elsewhere.

Alhassan Ibrahim is proving himself within weeks of moving to Austria from Akwa United, while Afeez Aremu and Ifeanyi Ifeanyi could well be domestic league representation, but it will be tough.

Musa Mohammed has been a Rohr favourite but he needs games and consistency; the same as Osimhen, whose youth and inexperience could count against him.

Kayode Olanrewaju and Henry Onyekuru are potential party crashers who will keep Nwakaeme and Samuel on their toes.

Anderson Esiti is beasting in Belgium as a defensive/central midfielder, and Kelechi Nwakali -- who is in the same boat -- is showing he has the smarts to play as a creative midfielder.

Sone Aluko and Hope Akpan are wildcards who will have to play out of their skins to even get to the training camp. Both fail Rohr's twin tests of playing in a top league and being under 25.

Let the party begin!

http://kwese.espn.com/football/nigeria/story/3225334/nigeria-who-is-on-the-plane-to-russia
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 6:59pm On Oct 10, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:
Finid gets the under 17 job... But Paul Aigbogun for under 20...what happened to manu and amunike?

Exclusive: Names Of New Coaches, Assistant Coaches, GK Trainers For Nigeria National Teams

Published: October 10, 2017

Exclusive: Names Of New Coaches, Assistant Coaches, GK Trainers For Nigeria National Teams

Alnigeriasoccer.com understands that the Nigeria Football Federation are set to announce the appointments of new coaches, assistant coaches, goalkeeper trainers for the various national teams except the Super Eagles.

The Nigerian Federation received 300 applications and shortlisted 68 candidates for national team jobs, and interviews were held in August.

The interview questions were based on technical, managerial and administrative capabilities.

A meeting attended by Barrister Christoper Green, Ahmed Yusuf Fresh, Mr Paul, Barrister Isaac Danladi, Garba Lawal, Victor Ikpeba, Bitrus Bewarang and Abdul Rafiu Yusuf was held at the Boardroom of the Federation and the Technical and Development Committee has recommended the appointment of the following coaches:

Nigeria U23/Dream Team

Head Coach : Kennedy Boboye
First Assistant Coach : Monday Odigie
Second Assistant Coach : Baba Ganaru Mohammed
Goalkeeper Trainer : Etta Egbe

Nigeria U20/Flying Eagles

Head Coach : Paul Aigbogun
First Assistant Coach : Hassan Abdullahi Sheriff
Second Assistant Coach : Abdulahi Biffo
Goalkeeper Trainer : Sulaiman Shuaibu

Nigeria U17/ Golden Eaglets

Head Coach : Finidi George
First Assistant Coach : Bala Abubakar
Second Assistant Coach : Mbwas Magnut
Goalkeeper Trainer : Baruwa Olatunji

Nigeria U13 & U15 Male

Head Coach : Nasidi Danladi Alala
First Assistant Coach : Haruna Usman
Second Assistant Coach : Bunmi Haruna

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24962
where have NFF been before?
One of Amuneke/G. Manu should be drafted into Eagles back room staff. Yusuf seems to be an office man.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 7:03pm On Oct 10, 2017
adegwurulez:

Nigeria Football Federation, NFF will extend the contract of Super Eagles coach, Gernot Rohr, after Nigeria sealed qualification for the Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup.

Rohr, signed a two-year contract, while accepting the job in 2016 with the option of extending the deal, if Nigeria qualifies for the World Cup. Rohr will now be in charge of the team till the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations, if there are no twists in his romance with the NFF.

Speaking on the development, Rohr, 64, said he was glad Nigeria qualified for the World Cup as they were not given the chance to pick the ticket when the qualification series started with Cameroon and Algeria as bookmakers’ favourite to clinch the ticket.

“I believe Russia 2018 will be a good adventure for us all,” the German, who previously coached Burkina Faso said.

Rohr thanked Nigerians for the feat saying it was a collective effort, “Thank you Nigerians, we won this World Cup ticket together.”

NFF secretary-general, Mohammed Sanusi said the Super Eagles will have the best of preparations for the World Cup.

“We are excited and as this Board has continued to promise, it is not just about qualification. We will ensure the best preparation for the team to set a new record of performance for Nigeria at the FIFA World Cup when they go to Russia next year.”

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/10/rohr-earn-two-years-contract-extension/

Thank you... Seen already... Everybody is working....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:03pm On Oct 10, 2017
chrisooblog:
Leon has never been the fastest his game has always been about decisive tackling and smart positional play. Like you rightly said as defenders age they rely more on experience and reading the game expertly

How come none of you had ever said this.

You had to wait till Zambia almost exploited it.

No player should be free from criticism.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 7:03pm On Oct 10, 2017
AIG07:
where have NFF been before?
One of Amuneke/G. Manu should be drafted into Eagles back room staff. Yusuf seems to be an office man.

I don't think that can happen soon... Let wait for CHAN
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 7:07pm On Oct 10, 2017
AIG07:
this is a great news. I don't know him though. But I'm sure he'll bring something new.

Exactly.USA female football team is one of the best in the world and don't forget we make used of US coach for D'tiger last year

I would have love omagbemi to assist him instead of Godwin okon

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:07pm On Oct 10, 2017
AIG07:

Or he will switch and not perform. Many factors involved. If he doesn't connect with us at a deep visceral level like Iwobi, Aina, Balogun and Ekong it might affect his play. Balogun said we accepted him totally and that he connects with us. Iwobi and Aina you can see their affinity with us. They love our noisyness and warmth. That's one thing I fear about Ebuehi though he appears to be an introvert and introverts warm up slowly.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:10pm On Oct 10, 2017
daveP:
If we pick 7/15 English/Nigerian youngsters that goal.com just featured, we would have the youngest team in Russia.
Omo at this rate in the next three to four years we might have as much as 8 foreign born players ooo. We already have four. Dessers is there knocking too
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by eitsei(m): 7:13pm On Oct 10, 2017
I saw this on goal.com, English talents who must be part of Nigeria's recruitment

http://m.goal.com/x/en/news/8/main/2017/10/10/39303462/15-english-talents-who-must-be-part-of-nigerias-recruitment
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:16pm On Oct 10, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

Can anybody force player on Rohr?...
And the person will walk into first 23 list players?

At this moment he has the potential not as good as nacho and ighalo and moreover alot of water will still pass under the bridge 8 months too..

I see you also grappling with how to post news with the pictures. I wish I knew how it's done. But I guess one has to look at the menu where tools are. The visuals help a great deal in making the news appealing to read.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 7:16pm On Oct 10, 2017
Can Nigeria host world cup? grin

Nigeria: When Will Nigeria Host the World Cup?

By Muyiwa Kayode
Like most football loving Nigerians, I am very excited that we have qualified for the 2018 FIFA World Cup taking place in Russia next year. Since the tournament began in 1930, seventeen different countries have hosted it. In 2010, South Africa became the first African country to host the World Cup. Next year Russia will be hosting the tournament for the first time. Four years later, a tiny oil rich Middle East country called Qatar, will host, also for the first time. The last one was hosted by Brazil in 2014, amidst protests by thousands of Brazilians who felt the huge financial outlay could have been invested in improving the nation's infrastructure. I was surprised by the protests because my perception was that Brazilians would always put football before any other thing. Despite the protests however, Brazil successfully hosted the 2014 FIFA World Cup, which was won by Germany.

Considering how far ahead of us Brazil is, I can imagine the kind of protests that will greet any mention of Nigeria, planning to host the World Cup. There will be fire and brimstone and many will invoke the heavens to come down and destroy anyone seriously planning to spend millions of dollars to bid for the hosting rights. There will be talk about our deplorable infrastructure. People will remind us of our epileptic power supply, our pre historic healthcare facilities, our unpassable roads and disgraceful airports. There will be mention of our stadiums which are several decades behind. And of course, we will be told that our economy cannot support such expenditure. Economic experts will tell us how our unborn generations will inherit the debts which will take several hundreds of years to pay.

It is not a crazy ambition. In 2009, Nigeria successfully hosted the FIFA Under-17 World Cup. The tournament was held between October 24 and November 15 across eight cities. In spite of obstacles and challenges, including threats by Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta, MEND, the tournament went ahead. Warri was removed from the list of venues due to security considerations. After three weeks of entertaining football, Switzerland defeated hosts and defending Champions Nigeria in the final. While the Under-17 competition is on a far smaller scale, it is still a pointer to the fact that if we are serious, we can host the senior World Cup. The benefits are immense and that is why there is always a highly competitive bid by countries for the hosting rights.

Sports remain one of the most effective platforms for destination branding. With greater understanding of branding and marketing, countries now maximize the opportunities provided by sporting events to promote their cities, their cultures and their tourist attractions. They produce elaborate documentaries about the country itself as well as the various host cities. The entire world is focused on the host nation for one month and there is simply no better platform to promote everything the country has to offer, from investment opportunities to tourism offerings. It could have a transformational impact on the nation's economy as well as image and perception.

Football remains the best thing that unites our country. Nobody talks about federal character in the national team. We all want our best players in the team, regardless of what part of the country they come from. We all chant their names when they win and make us proud. Why we don't apply this same mentality in the running of our country remains a mystery to me. But the results are glaring for all to see. Mediocrity remains the hallmark of our governance and underdevelopment has been the very essence of our collective existence. We have been the architects of our own misfortune. We have been saddled with unambitious leadership for decades with the sad outcomes that make us rank highly on all the negative indices of human existence. We don't have to continue this way.

We know our people have the potential to excel in various fields of human endeavour. We all know that Nigerians are doing impressively well in different countries around the world. Our boys who play football abroad have already shown that we can produce world class players if we go about it with commitment and seriousness. Hosting global tournaments, especially the World Cup is actually one of the ways we can elevate our nation, as this will compel us to improve the standard of our stadiums and ensure they meet the highest international benchmarks.

Such massive developments projects mean employment generation. In addition to the stadiums, roads and airports will be upgraded. Hotels will be upgraded and prepared for the upsurge in patronage. Host cities will be projected onto the world map of tourist destinations. The economic benefits are immense while the positive impact this will have on our nation's image abroad will be amazing.

The World Cup hosting rights may not come back to Africa for a while, which gives us time to think, dream, and prepare! When it does happen that FIFA is ready to seriously consider another African country as host, Nigeria must be ready to bid. I believe the stiffest competition will come from the North Africans who lost out to South Africa for the 2010 hosting rights. But I believe Nigeria can do it, if we give it all we've got. In the meantime, we must prepare assiduously for Russia. It is not enough to qualify. We must go there and make a bold statement. At the very least, this is one of the ways we can project our country to the rest of the world and give Nigerians something to be proud of.

- Kayode is CEO at USP Brand Management and author, The Seven Dimensions of Branding. Brand Nation is a platform for promoting national development based on the universal principles of branding

http://allafrica.com/stories/201710100546.html
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 7:19pm On Oct 10, 2017
Mujtahida:

I see you also grappling with how to post news with the pictures. I wish I knew how it's done. But I guess one has to look at the menu where tools are. The visuals help a great deal in making the news appealing to read.

I didn't get well self... Stil doing try and error..

Want my pictures to be in between the words not at the tail of the words...

I will keep trying I wont give up...

You too can try too..

Just learnt the video posting recently self...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 7:20pm On Oct 10, 2017
Why is it that our players are not or less ambitious? Or am I the only one seeing this? Did anyone notice that all the shots our players took were wayward? Except for our goalie...

If my memory serves me right, there was no report on shooting drills in their last camp. I was only wondering what went wrong? This same sets of boys put in an amazing performances against previous opponents with wonderful shots accuracies that threatens the goal keepers and gave us some share number of goals. But the story was different last weekend they all kept hitting it wide.

I expect these guys to keep having some personal trainings at their clubs to increase their overal playing abilities. Even till now I'm not convinced with Ndidi's performance in the SEs. dude hasn't replicate his club performance nor improve on his showings. That's why I laugh when people clamour for onazi to be dropped for him while Mikel plays the CMF role.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:22pm On Oct 10, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

I didn't get well self... Stil doing try and error..

Want my pictures to be in between the words not at the tail of the words...

I will keep trying I wont give up...

You too can try too..

Just learnt the video posting recently self...
Yes, I want the pictures embedded in the article. I think the browser too matters. On my browser I can't bolden words even though I know how to do it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 7:24pm On Oct 10, 2017
Mujtahida:

Or he will switch and not perform. Many factors involved. If he doesn't connect with us at a deep visceral level like Iwobi, Aina, Balogun and Ekong it might affect his play. Balogun said we accepted him totally and that he connects with us. Iwobi and Aina you can see their affinity with us. They love our noisyness and warmth. That's one thing I fear about Ebuehi though he appears to be an introvert and introverts warm up slowly.

Ebuehi is kind lonely I dunno maybe he gat no parent following him up and down... Most times I might be wrong he didn't participate in their play.. Or dance stuff... Might be wrong though..

Atleast I have quite number of this current SE am following on social media.. And most times they do live video... Ebuchi is just there...

Maybe he need pepper soup and Nigeria jollof grin

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 7:25pm On Oct 10, 2017
daveP:
Yeah cos if we play well and lose, at least we would know where to improve on. meanwhile our senators are suggesting looted funds be used to fund our russian dream. smh.
those ones are just after their pockets.
I have loose hope in the present administration or let me say in this group of leaders.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 7:25pm On Oct 10, 2017
Mujtahida:

If Iceland(and yes by their Euro 2016 performance) is a tough side then I guess there ain't gonna be any easy side this WC except maybe Iran and Saudi. It's getting tougher.
yes the world cup will be tough and interesting but the traditional team's will still carry the day
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:25pm On Oct 10, 2017
AIG07:
Why is it that our players are not or less ambitious? Or am I the only one seeing this? Did anyone notice that all the shots our players took were wayward? Except for our goalie...

If my memory serves me right, there was no report on shooting drills in their last camp. I was only wondering what went wrong? This same sets of boys put in an amazing performances against previous opponents with wonderful shots accuracies that threatens the goal keepers and gave us some share number of goals. But the story was different last weekend they all kept hitting it wide.

I expect these guys to keep having some personal trainings at their clubs to increase their overal playing abilities. Even till now I'm not convinced with Ndidi's performance in the SEs. dude hasn't replicate his club performance nor improve on his showings. That's why I laugh when people clamour for onazi to be dropped for him while Mikel plays the CMF role.

Did we even shoot at all from outside the box in Saturday's match? I can't recall we did

(1) (2) (3) ... (1761) (1762) (1763) (1764) (1765) (1766) (1767) ... (16154) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: humility33(m), lordofstrings, elyte89, Psittacus(m) and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.