Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,365 members, 7,868,059 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 10:01 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1782) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11972319 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1779) (1780) (1781) (1782) (1783) (1784) (1785) ... (16380) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:56am On Oct 12, 2017
Icon4s:

Bringing in Kayode to play alongside Iheanacho would have definitely changed the shape of the team. Besides we were already playing on a 4-3-3 formation.

Talking about change of personnel to give the passes, who was that personnel from the bench that you think Rohr should have introduced? I hope you are not suggesting Mikel Agu.

There were different solutions like getting Iwobi to the ten role or dropping Iheanacho to play the ten role and getting him to deliver the passes to Kayode.

The shape must not change.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bossto(m): 10:59am On Oct 12, 2017
Well, this is my 23 man list for the World: . . . GOALKEEPERS .Enyeama . .Ezenwa . .Akpeyi . DEFENDERS .Leon balogun . william ekong . .Chidozie awaziem . .ola aina . abdullahi shehu . .Elderson echiejile . .Kenneth omeruo . . MID FIELDERS .Mikel obi . Ogenyi onazi . .Wilfred ndidi . .John ogu . .Karo etebo . .Alex iwobi . FOWARDS Victor moses . Simeon moses . Sone AIuko . kelechi iheanacho . odion ighalo . Ahmed musa . Larry kayode .
Elders...what do u think abou this list

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:59am On Oct 12, 2017
Lucque:
someone has hacked forgiveness' account.... No ajagun? cheesy

Hahahahahah! How you wan make Ajagun dey for list where Joel Obi? grin

If Joel Obi can't make it through injury then Abdul Ajagun should make the team.

Except I remove Mikel Agu with the hope that Shehu Abdullahi can fit into the DMF role. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 11:01am On Oct 12, 2017
WORLD CUP TICKET | A
Dream we worked hard to
Achieve – Mikel

Captain Mikel Obi has again expressed his
joy at the Super Eagles’ qualification for
the Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup.

“This is really a dream come true,” Mikel
told the Nigeria Football Federation. “The
team and myself, we worked very hard for
this believing we could do it, and we are
over the moon that our aspiration has
been met.

“I want to commend everyone who has
been involved in this: the players, the
coaches, the backroom staff, the NFF. It
was not easy but we knew from the
beginning that we would have to fight
hard for every point and we did.”

The former Chelsea star is going to his
second World Cup final, after missing the
2010 finals in South Africa with injury.
He was in the squad for the 2014 World
Cup in Brazil.

Former Nigeria international Joseph Yobo
has tipped the current Super Eagles team
to do better than previous Nigerian teams
at the World Cup.The Eagles became the
first African team to qualify for the 2018
World Cup in Russia a hard-fought 1-0 win
against Group B opponents Chipolopolo of
Zambia in Uyo on Saturday.

Alex Iwobi’s 73rd minute goal secured the
ticket for the Eagles who will be heading
to their sixth appearance at the World
Cup. The win took the Eagles to 13 points,
while Zambia remain second on seven
points. Cameroon who defeated Algeria
2-0 are third on six points and the North
Africans are bottom on just one point.

Reacting to the qualification, Yobo who
was in the Eagles squad to the Korea/
Japan 2002, South Africa 2010 and Brazil
2014 World Cups, hailed Gernot Rohr’s
players for achieving the feat.

“Congratulations again guys. Going to the
World Cup is dream stuff. Y’all are going
to do better than us!” the 2013 Africa Cup
of Nations winning captain wrote on his
verified Twitter handle on Monday.

The Eagles’ next game is against Algeria
in Constantine in November

http://www.thebreakingtimes.com/world-cup-ticket-a-dream-we-worked-hard-to-achieve-mikel/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:03am On Oct 12, 2017
Mujtahida:

Between your word and that of Bsssagog who was on the field of play whose report should we believe?
On Agu, you misread me. I mentioned Agu not in relation to tactics but personel vis-a-vis the notion that Rohr is conservative. And I also talked about the age of the team.

if we rely solely on what players say then we may throw away video analysts I guess.

Your point on Agu still eludes me.

Ho old is Mikel? Balogun? Moses? Remove these guys and tell me we stall have a team

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 11:03am On Oct 12, 2017
Icon4s:

Abeg shift make we see road.
grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:04am On Oct 12, 2017
forgiveness:
My 23 man list for the world cup

GK

1. Vincent Enyeama
2. Daniel Akpeyi
3, Alampasu

DF

4. Leon Balogun
5, Elderson Echiejile
6, Troost Ekong
7, Awazeim
8, Shehu Abdullahi
9. Ola Aina
10. Tiago Ilori

MF

11. Mikel Obi
12. Joel Obi
13. Onazi Ogenyi
14. Wilfred Ndidi
15. Mikel Agu
16. Sone Aluko

Attack

17. Alex-iwobi
18. Ahmed Musa
19. Odion Ighalo
20. Victor Moses
21. Simon Moses
22. Kelechi Iheanacho
23.Kayode Olanrewaju

Modified

Gees! Where is Oghenekaro Etebor? shocked grin

Mikel Agu out, Oghenekaro Etebor in. grin

But... seriously, will Ahmed Musa go to the world Cup without kicking a ball for his club? shocked

Dat one no go work ooooooo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 11:04am On Oct 12, 2017
Mujtahida:

Hahahaha hahahaha, jotey my man. Make I go look for news of somebody wey say make Tammy play for us.

grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:04am On Oct 12, 2017
NIGERIA legend Jay-Jay Okocha has urged Tammy Abraham to switch allegiance to the African nation.
Abraham , the Chelsea striker on loan at
Swansea , insists he remains committed to playing for England – despite meeting Nigeria FA president Amaju Pinnick after the Swans’ draw with Spurs last weekend.
Tammy Abraham has insisted his aim is still to play for England at senior level
Nigerian icon Jay Jay Okocha hopes Tammy Abraham decides to ditch England
The former England Under 18 and Under 19 forward who has won nine U-21 caps remains eligible to play for the senior Nigeria team through his father.
Former Bolton star Okocha, speaking at Fifa’s announcement of the shortlist for “The Best” awards, said: “Ultimately it is up to him – although clearly we would love Tammy to play for Nigeria as we are building a strong young team.
“We want the best young players that are available and he is clearly part of that group.
“He has to weigh up his options and whether he has a good chance of playing for England, or whether he is better off playing for Nigeria.
“The competition for a place in the England team is very tough because there are a lot of good young players now.
“For me personally I would say he should play for Nigeria as he would have a better chance of going to the World Cup.”
Tammy Abraham has been a star for England at U-18, U-19 and U-21 level
Chelsea have loaned out Tammy Abraham to Bristol City and now Swansea
Abraham explained he met Pinnick because he was a friend of his father.
Okocha added: “It’s all about football and nothing to do with having a family member close to the president of the Nigerian federation.
“If he is not a good player, he won’t be needed, but the bottom line is that he is a very good footballer.”

Poacher Tammy Abraham has been a regular for Swansea on loan this season
Crystal Palace 0-2 Swansea: Tammy Abraham grabs first Premier League goal as Jordan Ayew strike piles pressure on Frank De Boer
Chelsea frontman Tammy Abraham knows he could end up playing in the World Cup for Nigeria in Russia next summer - if they qualify and he does a U-turn

Source: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/football/4527558/chelsea-england-tammy-abraham-jay-okocha/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 11:08am On Oct 12, 2017
Which Coach Will Be In The Dugout Algeria
Vs Nigeria? Ex-Man City Star Favored

The Algerian Football Federation (FAF) are
poised to confirm the dismissal of Spanish
tactician Lucas Alcaraz, with the executive
committee voting unanimously to do away
with his services at a meeting on
Wednesday.

While it is all but confirmed that the
former Granada manager will get the chop,
his contract is still running as the Algerian
Federation have not yet discussed the
terms of the termination of his contract
and the financial compensation.
If there is an agreement between the two
parties, the FAF will terminate the contract
of the Spaniard and announce it officially
through a press release via the official
website.

According to the reliable Algerian football
website Le Buteur, the Algerian Federation
are in advanced talks with former
Manchester City midfielder Djamel Belmadi
over becoming the new Desert Foxes
coach.

Another name being bandied about for the
job is ex-Monaco and Marseille defender
Rolland Courbis.

In the event that a substantive coach is
not appointed by the Algerian Federation
before their World Cup qualifier against
Nigeria, then Boualem Charef will take over
the coaching reins on an interim basis.

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=24981
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 11:09am On Oct 12, 2017
Don’t accept Tammy Abraham in Eagles, Adelabu tells NFF

Former Green Eagles winger , Adegoke Adelabu has advised the leadership of the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF ) not to listen to England U -21 forward, Tammy Abraham, following reports that he has dropped another hint as regards his interest in switching allegiance to Nigeria after Super Eagles ’ qualification for Russia 2018 World Cup .
During preparation for the Super Eagles’ World Cup qualifier against Zambia , NFF president, Amaju Pinnick claimed that Chelsea striker Abraham, who is on loan at Swansea, had committed to declaring for Nigeria . However, the 19 -year-old Abraham quickly distanced himself from the claims.
Now according to latest reports, Abraham allegedly confirmed two days ago that talks were on-going with Nigeria shortly after scoring for England U -21 in their 3-1 win over Scotland .
For Adelabu, the latest turn around by Abraham should not be taken serious by the NFF . “Tammy should stay away from our national team . I want the NFF to use him as an example to other junior players, who feel that without them, Nigerian football won’ t go anywhere. Tammy has just realized that he might not be part of England ’ s squad to the World Cup in Russia, so he can quickly make a u-turn to Nigeria . No way . The NFF must not listen to him . We have enough players good to win the World Cup if only the team is well prepared. ”
According to the report, Abraham, who has been ever present for the U -21 s of England that are top of their Euro 2019 qualifying group , liked and commented on a video posted by Alex Iwobi on Instagram .[/b]Football
source: guardian news

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by cromz(m): 11:12am On Oct 12, 2017
forgiveness:

The guy coach told him not u play for Nigeria then but I don't know if he has changed his mind.
he would be a great addition for us because by fifa rating he's higher than all our full backs apart from elderson
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:14am On Oct 12, 2017
Mickael2:

if we rely solely on what players say then we may throw away video analysts I guess.

Your point on Agu still eludes me.

Ho old is Mikel? Balogun? Moses? Remove these guys and tell me we stall have a team
Yes remove them and what you'd see is a team being built. You know that Rohr's contractual brief were(1)qualify Nigeria for the World Cup (2) qualify Nigeria for the Afcon 2019.
Your point on Moses et al is the precise point I am making regarding Agu. The guy is a rookie. Yet the coach prefers him to Ogu. How conservative is that? Favoritism you call it?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 11:15am On Oct 12, 2017
Ighalo, Mikel Dropped
From Squad For Algeria
Tie – Rohr Includes Fringe
Players

The list of players of the senior national team of
Nigeria who are going to prosecute the dead
rubber World Cup 2018 tie against Algeria will
become official in three weeks time.

Nigeria are already through to the World Cup in
Russia with a game to spare against Algeria
who are already out of the running to qualify for
the reverse tie of their group fixture with Nigeria
winning their first meeting 3-1 in Uyo.

Ahead of the game which has been fixed for
November 10 coach of the Super Eagles Gernot
Rohr has dropped the China based duo of
captain John Obi Mikel and top striker Odion
Ighalo due to the distance they usually travel
for national team games.

The official list will be made public in three
weeks time with new names expected to be
included in the squad, particularly players who
have done well for their respective teams in
Europe, and those on the fringes of the team.

Already the coach has instructed his scouts to
step up the monitoring of players based abroad
while Salisu Yusuf his Nigerian assistant will
monitor the home based players picked by the
manager after their WAFU Cup campaign, where
they finished second losing to Ghana 1-4 in the
final match.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/12/ighalo-mikel-dropped-from-squad-for-algeria-tie-rohr-includes-fringe-players/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:16am On Oct 12, 2017
cromz:
naso everybody for this thread quickly forget this guy at least finally we have enough full back options.
analysis I've seen about him are not very encouraging
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:18am On Oct 12, 2017
forgiveness:

Gees! Where is Oghenekaro Etebor? shocked grin

Mikel Agu out, Oghenekaro Etebor in. grin

But... seriously, will Ahmed Musa go to the world Cup without kicking a ball for his club? shocked

Dat one no go work ooooooo.
he will. seems the spirit he carries to the world cup is diff from the one at club level. i'd say he needs to blend again. the argentina match in 2014 is his backbone.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:19am On Oct 12, 2017
blueto:
I have noticed this too. nacho's movements sometimes makes it difficult for players to get the ball to him. He suffered this at man city and someone here blamed it on city's attacking players, that they were trying to starve him of the ball. Lets say the truth, nacho does not have it as a CF, he may continue like this if he isn't played as a supporting striker or false 9.
Tell them oooo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:22am On Oct 12, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Why not say there are no coaches who tinker with their selections of personnel and formations, let me show you others do. Even Rohr who has mixed his style has switched personnel positions, changed his formations and even squad selections in the few games he has handled.
at international level? coaches hardly have time to tinker with formations and players the way they like, they don't have the luxury of that time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 11:23am On Oct 12, 2017
Super Eagles Star Moses
Simon Reveals Why
Arsenal Ace Alex Iwobi Is
Special

Gent of Belgium forward Moses Simon is a big
admirer of Arsenal forward Alex Iwobi who is
his international teammate in the senior national
team of Nigeria.

Simon started Nigeria’s last game against
Zambia ahead of the Arsenal ace, who scored
the winning minutes after coming on in place of
Simon in the game which sealed Nigeria’s spot
at next year World Cup.

Speaking to Owngoalnigeria.com, Simon who
has been ever present for Nigeria in their World
Cup 2018 Qualifiers campaign picked out some
qualities that make Iwobi a special player.

” Iwobi is a special player, I don’t think that is
news to anybody, but what makes him special is
his ability to pick out a pass even when he is
under pressure. He knows when to use his pace
and when to apply his brains”, Simon told
Owngoalnigeria.com.

” From the sessions we have had and what I
have seen of him. He plays more with his brain
than his legs especially when he is in the box of
the opponent. I’m happy to be playing alongside
a player like him”. Simon concluded.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/12/super-eagles-star-moses-simon-reveals-why-arsenal-ace-alex-iwobi-is-special/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:26am On Oct 12, 2017
jotey:
Gernot Rohr plans new team for
Russia 2018 World Cup

Algeria sacks coach

Super Eagles ’ Technical Manager,
Gernot Rohr has revealed his plans to
build a formidable team before the
Russia 2018 World Cup .

The coach believes some of the current
players in the Super Eagles are not the
materials he would rely on for a
successful campaign in the World Cup
finals in Russia, adding that he has the
ambition of surpassing Nigeria ’s
previous performance in the event .

Although the 64 - year - old Franco -
German was delighted at the Eagles ’
qualification for the global showpiece,
he said the team needed a major
surgery before the FIFA World Cup
finals. “ Players in the mould of Zinedine
Zidane and Thiery Henry , who once
played under me , are the calibre of
stars I would want in the Super Eagles
to execute the World Cup finals in
Russia,” Rohr said .

Insisting that he has not yet assembled
his choice World Cup team , Rohr was
emphatic that he would parade his best
players in the group final game against
Algeria in Constantine on November 6 .

Remarkably, Nigeria is making her sixth
FIFA World Cup appearance since its
debut in USA ‘94 . The Eagles were at
France ‘ 98 , Japan / Korea 2002, South
Africa 2010 and Brazil 2014 .

Sources close to the Nigeria Football
Federation (NFF) said the German is
expected to disclose to the federation his
World Cup programme before he travels
to Europe . These will include plans for
grade A friendlies and training tours to
prepare the players for the Russia 2018
World Cup campaign.

Meanwhile, Algeria has parted ways
with their manager , Lucas Alcaraz
following the team’s elimination from
the race to Russia .

Superdeporte.es reports that the coach,
who has a win record of one in four
games since taking over from George
Leekens when the Belgian resigned in
February , has already returned to
Spain.

Algeria are out of the race to qualify for
the World Cup after picking up just one
point in five games , in a group where
they were viewed as favourite to qualify
when the draws were made . They lost
0 - 2 to Cameroon at the weekend .

It has been a disastrous campaign for
them as Alcaraz only took charge of the
team in April following the resignation
of Leekens in February before their
reverse tie against Nigeria .

They are now searching for their fifth
coach in just over a year since the start
of the qualifiers for the World Cup
2018, where they are rooted to the
bottom of group B .

https://m.guardian.ng/sport/gernot-rohr-plans-new-team-for-russia-2018-world-cup/
Shebi una dey see conservative coach. Let's wait and watch. And I like the fact that this is coming from the Guardian Newspaper

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 11:28am On Oct 12, 2017
Anothorsis Famagusta
Place Hefty Price Tag On
Super Eagles MOTM
Shehu Abdullahi

Cyprus league leaders Anorthosis
Famagusta have placed a hefty price tag on
their Nigerian midfielder cum defender Shehu
Abdullahi to fend off teams interested in
snapping him up in January.

Abdullahi was voted Man of the Match in
Nigeria’s 1-0 win over Zambia, and also made
the CAF BEST XI players for the fifth round of
World Cup 2018 Qualifiers, a feat that has
caught the attention of clubs in Europe..

Abdullahi moved to the club two summers ago
from relegated Portuguese side Uniao de
Madeira, and since moving to the team he has
been ever present for them in their domestic
and continental games.

A price tag in excess of €10m has been placed
on the 24 year old who was a part of the
Nigeria Olympic team that won bronze at the
Rio 2016 Olympic , and can play as a full back
or defensive midfielder.

According to Owngoalnigeria.com transfer
expert Daniel Martins the fee was placed on the
Super Eagles rave of the moment to fend clubs
from snapping him up in January, but it could be
lowered in the summer.

“His asking price plus add-ons is in excess of
€10m, the fee went up after his steady rise at
the club especially his performances for Nigeria.
To many it’s like a trap to keep him till the
summer, when the club will be open to business
because he will have just one year left on his
deal”, Martins said.

” He is very vital to their title aspirations, so
they are doing all in their power to keep him at
the club at least till next summer. Hopefully he
will move to a big club after the World Cup”.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/12/anothorsis-famagusta-place-hefty-price-tag-on-super-eagles-motm-shehu-abdullahi/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:31am On Oct 12, 2017
Mickael2:

the national team is not club football, agreed but it is not far from it. What about Germany? They can play their third eleven within 6days of calling them together and they will easily hammer Portugal are they not also a national team? You tamper with a winning team because you need to make that team better, why did Spain look so bad at the 2014 World cup? Because they didn't want to tamper with a winning team.

Meanwhile changing a winning team isn't even the main tactical prowess I am talking about. You can see it written all over Rohr's face, when he is making substitutions he looks on like he isn't so sure. The last time he made a good tactical switch was in the first leg against Zambia when he brought in Esiti to help neutralise the opposing team, since then all his substitutions have been bothering on mediocrity and all the time they are like for like subs.

Meanwhile I didn't say we can get those coaches, you said German coaches are similar to Rohr, just some examples.

It took Westerhof 5years but in his very first year we got to the final whilst playing some sleek football. Now if this Zambia game was played in an Afcon quaterfinal we would not have won in regular time because they wouldn't need to attack. The few times we have played against parked buses we hardly made anything out of it. Rohr is seriously tactically limited, his man-management skills though are okay
you keep mentioning Germany, do you know that Joachim has been the coach for the past 11 years? also the German teams have a template of football across all age grade. so it's easy for any newbie to key in to the national team style of play.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:36am On Oct 12, 2017
Mujtahida:
Kog45 when you say Rohr is conservative do you mean in terms of strategy or personel? Let me give you heads up:

On personel I trust you see that Rohr is bringing down the age limit of the team to the extent that we have one of the youngest teams in Africa? He is not radical yet he has thrown Agu into the mix three times ahead of Ogu

On tactics:Do you know that after we trashed Cameroun, Bassagog said that they knew how we used to play and they were set up to play us that way but that on match day we adopted a different strategy that confused them? And how come we scored 11 goals in a group called group of death.
Cc goodjoe, Icon4s, mickael2
My man Rohr is not new to me.I know him as a coach of Victor Agali then in French league.He has very wide experienced in european football and Africa football which is a plus for him.I was very surprised with his achievement with Eagles coz he has not be so lucky with other Africa countries he coached and Pinnick said he gamble on him

Pls look at Zambia team,before our match they lose some key players to injuries but did u spot any difference in their play.Hope u remember what absence of Mikel,Moses,Balogun caused d team against South Africa and it was not their absence perse but we got it wronged tactically in that match.

On d young players coming to Super Eagles,kudos to him for doing that but we should thank Manu Garba,Emma Amuneke for giving Rohr d platform to perform with these young lads.

On Agu substitution,in d 1st half against Zambia pls tell me what was going on in your mind with Agu displayed.Did u know that Rohr wanted Aina in and Shehu move to midfield but i guess one of d assistants changed his mind and Agu came in.It nearly backfire but thank God d 2nd half was better.

A coach should do what people don't expect.Hope u remember afcon 2000 how Bonfrere Jo shifted Tijani Babangida to d left side against South Africa coz he discovered Mark Fish was a slow defender, in that match TJ scored two quick goals.

In that particular match a lot were surprised to see Finidi and Tijani starting together even to d surprised of South Africa team.We need to see this in Rohr approach. Westerhoff did it against Zambia in Afcon final introduced Emmanuel Amuneke for d first time in d competition and guy gave us a brace

I still repeat it South Africa match made me to believe that tactically Rohr need a very good assistant just like Westerhoff having Bonfrere Jo doing it tactically for him.
In that match we don't need Mikel,Moses,Balogun to beat South Africa.

I believe with our qualification and before WC proper as experience coach he w address most of d grey areas and we w have a better team that w face any team just like US 94 squad.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:37am On Oct 12, 2017
jotey:
Anothorsis Famagusta
Place Hefty Price Tag On
Super Eagles MOTM
Shehu Abdullahi

and continental games.

or defensive midfielder.

lowered in the summer.

deal”, Martins said.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/12/anothorsis-famagusta-place-hefty-price-tag-on-super-eagles-motm-shehu-abdullahi/
I think being a midfielder has greatly helped this guy's ball playing skills. He is quite nifty. Let him just be careful lest he goes to a high profile club and gets relegated to the Bench. He should take it one at a time, step by step.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:37am On Oct 12, 2017
Mickael2:

i thought I was the only that saw it. A brilliant coach whilst sitting down on the touchline already knows how things can go wrong and how to sort it out but when Onazi was injured, Aina, Agu and even Ogu stood up and the coach didn't even know who was going to come into the game and there was a period he looked back and I think it was one of his nigerian assistants that said let's put Agu and we saw just how great that idea was. Rohr is not a tactician, Keshi, Siasia, Amuneke and even John Obuh would outclass him tactically, not to mention Westerhof

First of all, we need to know the position Onazi played before he was injured and who should replace him in that position.

Onazi Ogenyi was the CMF and also played the box to box role while Ndidi played in the DMF role.

Who was the natural and perfect replacement available for that role? John Ogu and no one else because he was the only natural CMF on the bench.

However, John Ogu coming in as a direct replacement for Onazi would have been a very bad choice.

1. He is slow and we already have another slow player in the mold of Mikel Obi on the field.

2. He is only offensive and his defensive ability is poor compared to Onazi.

3. His tackling ability is not as good as Onazi hence the need to bring some one who can defend, tackle and do the dirty job in the midfield.

In regards to the obvious reasons stated above, it would have been unwise to bring in John Ogu.

Bringing in Aina for Shehu Abdullahi to move to the DMF position is a big gamble and is equally out of the equation.

That was why bringing in Agu who is a natural DMF was the best option based on the options on the bench.

What the coach did was to bring in Mikel Agu to Wilfred Ndidi' position and move Ndidi to the CMF position. It was very easy to decide like that based on the situation on ground.

That's was why I wasn't not worried about Mikel Agu when he came in to replace Onazi. I even demonstrated that when many here panicked and kicked against him by saying 'make una no worry....'.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:44am On Oct 12, 2017
Mickael2:

one by one.

How is throwing Agu in before Ogu and Etebo a sign of tactical knowhow? It's a clear case of favouritism(in Forgiveness' voice). That is even more reason why we have to agree that he is limited tactically.

How is what Bassogog said relevant? They thought we would come out to play football because Nigeria over the ages can never start playing a defensive game because of Cameroon. Meanwhile it was only Bassagog that came out to say something like that, no doubt to save his own face after an abysmal showing, that was not a tactical move by Rohr one bit.

And when the opponents came with an equally strong tactics what did we do? Yeah we scored none and conceeded two

Though it may be favourism for bringing in players you can't trust to use in games but believe me Mikel Agu was the best option available as at that time. Read my post up there.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:45am On Oct 12, 2017
jotey:
Anothorsis Famagusta
Place Hefty Price Tag On
Super Eagles MOTM
Shehu Abdullahi

and continental games.

or defensive midfielder.

lowered in the summer.

deal”, Martins said.

Doesn't seem so hefty though.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:45am On Oct 12, 2017
forgiveness:

First of all, we need to know the position Onazi played before he was injured and who should replace him in that position.

Onazi Ogenyi was the CMF and also played the box to box role while Ndidi played in the DMF to role.

Who was the natural and perfect replacement available for that role? John Ogu and no one else because he was the only natural CMF on the bench.

However, John Ogu coming in as a direct replacement for Onazi would have been a very bad choice.

1. He is slow and we already have another slow player in the mold of Mikel Obi on the field.

2. He is only offensive and his defensive ability is poor compared to Onazi.

3. His tackling about is not as good as Onazi hence the need to bring some one who can defend, tackle and do the dirty job in the midfield.

In regards to the obvious reasons stated above, it would have been unwise to bring in John Ogu.

Bringing in Aina for Shehu Abdullahi to move to the DMF position is a big game and is equally out of the equation.

That was why bringing in Agu who is a natural DMF was the best option based on the options on the bench.

What the did was to bring in Mikel Agu to Wilfred Ndidi' position and move Ndidi to the CMF position. It was very easy to decide like that based on the situation on ground.

That's was why I wasn't not worried about Mikel Agu when he came in to replace Onazi. I even demonstrated that when many here panicked and kicked against him by saying 'make una no worry....'.
Good analysis, meaning that we need more options if Rohr doesn't trust Ogu as CMF to replace Onazi coz is a slow player.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:48am On Oct 12, 2017
Mickael2:

i thought I was the only that saw it. A brilliant coach whilst sitting down on the touchline already knows how things can go wrong and how to sort it out but when Onazi was injured, Aina, Agu and even Ogu stood up and the coach didn't even know who was going to come into the game and there was a period he looked back and I think it was one of his nigerian assistants that said let's put Agu and we saw just how great that idea was. Rohr is not a tactician, Keshi, Siasia, Amuneke and even John Obuh would outclass him tactically, not to mention Westerhof
the way u guys do analyse and deduct irrelevant facts as if u all are 100% sure that is what transpired leaves me flabagasted.....

U weren't there and u dare not know,say what really happened..even lips readers,analysts and pundits try to differentiate b/w speculations and sure facts...

Btw. ..what's the assistance been payed for undecided

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:51am On Oct 12, 2017
jotey:

Don’t accept Tammy Abraham in
Eagles, Adelabu tells NFF

Tammy Abraham allegedly confirmed
two days ago that talks were on- going
with Nigeria shortly after scoring for
England

Former Green Eagles winger , Adegoke
Adelabu has advised the leadership of
the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF)
not to listen to England U- 21 forward ,
Tammy Abraham , following reports that
he has dropped another hint as regards
his interest in switching allegiance to
Nigeria after Super Eagles ’ qualification
for Russia 2018 World Cup .

During preparation for the Super
Eagles’ World Cup qualifier against
Zambia, NFF president, Amaju Pinnick
claimed that Chelsea striker Abraham,
who is on loan at Swansea , had
committed to declaring for Nigeria .

However , the 19 - year - old Abraham
quickly distanced himself from the
claims.

Now according to latest reports ,
Abraham allegedly confirmed two days
ago that talks were on - going with
Nigeria shortly after scoring for
England U- 21 in their 3 - 1 win over
Scotland . For Adelabu , the latest turn around by
Abraham should not be taken serious by
the NFF.

“ Tammy should stay away from
our national team. I want the NFF to use
him as an example to other junior
players, who feel that without them ,
Nigerian football won ’ t go anywhere .
Tammy has just realized that he might
not be part of England ’ s squad to the
World Cup in Russia , so he can quickly
make a u- turn to Nigeria. No way .

The
NFF must not listen to him. We have
enough players good to win the World
Cup if only the team is well prepared .”
According to the report , Abraham, who
has been ever present for the U- 21 s of
England that are top of their Euro 2019
qualifying group, liked and commented
on a video posted by Alex Iwobi on
Instagram.

https://m.guardian.ng/sport/dont-accept-tammy-abraham-in-eagles-adelabu-tells-nff/

Make dem leave dis boy make em rest na. If e wan for Nigeria let him play.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:55am On Oct 12, 2017
jotey:
Gernot Rohr plans new team for
Russia 2018 World Cup

Algeria sacks coach

Super Eagles ’ Technical Manager,
Gernot Rohr has revealed his plans to
build a formidable team before the
Russia 2018 World Cup .

The coach believes some of the current
players in the Super Eagles are not the
materials he would rely on for a
successful campaign in the World Cup
finals in Russia, adding that he has the
ambition of surpassing Nigeria ’s
previous performance in the event .

Although the 64 - year - old Franco -
German was delighted at the Eagles ’
qualification for the global showpiece,
he said the team needed a major
surgery before the FIFA World Cup
finals. “ Players in the mould of Zinedine
Zidane and Thiery Henry , who once
played under me , are the calibre of
stars I would want in the Super Eagles
to execute the World Cup finals in
Russia,” Rohr said .

Insisting that he has not yet assembled
his choice World Cup team , Rohr was
emphatic that he would parade his best
players in the group final game against
Algeria in Constantine on November 6 .

Remarkably, Nigeria is making her sixth
FIFA World Cup appearance since its
debut in USA ‘94 . The Eagles were at
France ‘ 98 , Japan / Korea 2002, South
Africa 2010 and Brazil 2014 .

Sources close to the Nigeria Football
Federation (NFF) said the German is
expected to disclose to the federation his
World Cup programme before he travels
to Europe . These will include plans for
grade A friendlies and training tours to
prepare the players for the Russia 2018
World Cup campaign.

Meanwhile, Algeria has parted ways
with their manager , Lucas Alcaraz
following the team’s elimination from
the race to Russia .

Superdeporte.es reports that the coach,
who has a win record of one in four
games since taking over from George
Leekens when the Belgian resigned in
February , has already returned to
Spain.

Algeria are out of the race to qualify for
the World Cup after picking up just one
point in five games , in a group where
they were viewed as favourite to qualify
when the draws were made . They lost
0 - 2 to Cameroon at the weekend .

It has been a disastrous campaign for
them as Alcaraz only took charge of the
team in April following the resignation
of Leekens in February before their
reverse tie against Nigeria .

They are now searching for their fifth
coach in just over a year since the start
of the qualifiers for the World Cup
2018, where they are rooted to the
bottom of group B .

https://m.guardian.ng/sport/gernot-rohr-plans-new-team-for-russia-2018-world-cup/

That's right.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:58am On Oct 12, 2017
cromz:
he would be a great addition for us because by fifa rating he's higher than all our full backs apart from elderson

Let us see what he brings to the team. I know he is good though.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1779) (1780) (1781) (1782) (1783) (1784) (1785) ... (16380) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Nomyth, elyte89, Philosopher1979, hustleranthem(m), jargooflife912(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.