Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,414 members, 7,861,160 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 04:41 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1795) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11930798 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1792) (1793) (1794) (1795) (1796) (1797) (1798) ... (16336) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:16am On Oct 13, 2017
Torunarigha!!!

Magink:
Said Alex was 50-50 his staff voted for or against pertaining Simon v Alex.
He told Alex b4 he was subbed to finish the job
He knows the issue abt Echejile that's y one of the German boys r coming
Also knows that Simon final ball is horrendous working on it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:19am On Oct 13, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

Nice meeting you too...

Yes I studied in OAU... Stayed in block 7...AWO craziness... Lol grin

I'm happy to see you... Just dey imagine upper common room where all things happen...
I stayed in block 7 in my second year and block 5 in my third year. I had to run to faj in my final year because I was becoming something else.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Magink: 9:22am On Oct 13, 2017
Said he knew the Zambians would tire out that was y alex came in to finish them.
Said he believes you have to change a winning team so all that you don't change a winning team is balderdash
Believes in one touch 2 touch (not running like a headless chicken) if you lose the ball fight back for it.
Impossible to play in Lagos cos of bad pitch.
Friendly against Basis, Europe and South America countries are been lined up

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:26am On Oct 13, 2017
Magink:
I think the player is Felix or ojokojo
If Carl beats cancer he is going to the world cup, even if he doesn't play.
Said he told the players to give him out of their match bonuses.
Hmmm I think Rohr was the one who put a call across to the coach of balogun not to play him in that final game before Zambia.
I'm not sure Tammy will play for us o cos NFF had to get clearance from the FAs of Wales, Scotland and England for Ola stressful that.

Said fringe players will play against Algeria
Ogu was injured in the Last game that was y he wasn't subbed on(foot). Ebuehi as well
Said he won't invite home based cos our journalist wants it but only the best.
Thank you. The man is on course. Either Torunarigha or Felix would be a big plus to us in strengthening that defence. So that Aina can slug it out with Shehu on the right (but sincerely I don't see Aina besting Shehu there)

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:38am On Oct 13, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

People here should tone down on their bias stance. Worst part when it becomes having a bias stance because of someone's stance on a forum. Finito.

Which one is exaggeration. I prefer someone pointing out that I exaggerated something than saying my stance is exaggerated. It is not even about my comment but having a bias stance about a player.

All this SS/CF stance should even stop. He is a forward and can play multiple roles. That is the demand of the modern forward game.
So because Hazard and William are forwards then they should be made to start featuring as CFs? will they perform better there?

it doesn't make sense that when these promising Nigerian players get other positions forced on them when they get to Europe. Iheanacho, Success, Yahaya, and even Mikel, and the sad part is that they don't seem to be performing well in those positions, and yet you keep defending such horrendous decisions. A fish is made to thrive in the water, not on the field, no matter all efforts to make it thrive on the field, it can only thrive in the water. Iheanacho have had his best games playing as SS and other attacking positions apart from CF.

And enough of these “Iheanacho should study Firmino and that.” You can't force him to be someone he is not. You can't force Messi to play Ronaldo's style of football and vice versa, else you may not be able to bring out the best in them. Iheancho should be made to focus and develop on his own unique style, that is how you get the best out of him. He was doing that under Pellegrini and getting good results until Guadiola came.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by salaode(m): 9:40am On Oct 13, 2017
He spoke about Mikel Agu coming in for the injured Onazi and not Etebo
Magink:
Said he knew the Zambians would tire out that was y alex came in to finish them.
Said he believes you have to change a winning team so all that you don't change a winning team is balderdash
Believes in one touch 2 touch (not running like a headless chicken) if you lose the ball fight back for it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:47am On Oct 13, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

The point is key to the win. Iheanacho's performance, constant running, despite the Algerians game plan to keep him caged created room for Victor Moses to cause havoc.

To substitute that with Real Madrid is, a team like Atletico Madrid having a game plan to keep CR7 caged but CR7 putting in extra effort with runs thus creates room for Bale to have a brilliant performance. Pundits and fans might rave about Benzema's brilliant performance does not stop someone pointing out the key role of CR7 in giving Benzema room to excel.

Keep in mind Nacho also kept the Algerians under pressure with his pressing runs.

I am pointing out you can not tag that a poor performance. Simple.
Enough of this please. Should we also attribute Moses's havoc against Cameroon to Iheanacho that was sitting on bench? Moses can cause havoc against any African side anytime anyday! with or without nacho. Should we also attribute Mikel's goal and Moses's second goal against Algeria to Nacho's “constant running?” Stop making reference to the words of a coach who waa just looking for an excuse for failure to defeat Nigeria.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:51am On Oct 13, 2017
Magink:

What a relief! grin

Rohr is going to do a lot of changes. grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:51am On Oct 13, 2017
do4luv14:

hahahahahahaha!!!!...... Jst lik ah don start to dry laff already, hahahahah wey "GERNERT" Rohr dey sec grin grin grin

Abeg free me.. grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 9:53am On Oct 13, 2017
Magink:
I think the player is Felix or ojokojo
If Carl beats cancer he is going to the world cup, even if he doesn't play.
Said he told the players to give him out of their match bonuses.
Hmmm I think Rohr was the one who put a call across to the coach of balogun not to play him in that final game before Zambia.
I'm not sure Tammy will play for us o cos NFF had to get clearance from the FAs of Wales, Scotland and England for Ola stressful that.

Said fringe players will play against Algeria
Ogu was injured in the Last game that was y he wasn't subbed on(foot). Ebuehi as well
Said he won't invite home based cos our journalist wants it but only the best.

Torunarigha is the only German Nigeria playing the LB position. Meaning he is the one. Wow! grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:59am On Oct 13, 2017
I think rohr will move mountains with super eagles..

Come to think of it. .has any of our former coaches stayed this long without one or two rifts,beefs with the players or board??

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:02am On Oct 13, 2017
How many AM do we have in the National team?

Answer is Mikel Obi and Alex Iwobi. grin

Someone should not come here to tell me say Iheanacho and Etebor are AM. grin

So, it is natural to look the way of Abdul Ajagun who is the only Nigerian player in a top league in Europe playing in that AMF role for over 6 years now. Iwobi off course also plays sometimes in that role and he's doing that this season.

Who is that Nigerian player playing that role in any top European League? grin

I need facts and not lies. grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Naijaphobia(m): 10:06am On Oct 13, 2017
grin grin

soetanoreoluwa:

The way I dey see your comment I know say na awo boys dey always write like that... Lol... Argument upon argument with aroism

Any course in IFe is plus X... That X... Means you dunno when you will graduate grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:08am On Oct 13, 2017
Joebie:
Torunarigha!!!
I believe he's the one. We are moving.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:10am On Oct 13, 2017
Magink:
Mickael2 would like this.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 10:11am On Oct 13, 2017
[quote author=forgiveness post=61376064]How many AM do we have in the National team?

Answer is Mikel Obi and Alex Iwobi. grin

Someone should not come here to tell me say Iheanacho and Etebor are AM. grin

So, it is natural to look the way of Abdul Ajagun who is the only Nigerian player in a top league in Europe playing in that AMF role for over 6 years now. Iwobi is off course also plays sometimes in that role and he's doing that this season.

Who is that Nigerian player playing that role in top European League?

B4 ajagun can b considered,deres a certain Michael babatunde dt played very well and outstanding in Brazil 2014,if fit,I would choose him 100times b4 ajagun,d guy is well gifted,crafty,has enough ball footwork,
Deres also a Joel obi if fit,yes
So ajagun fit enter bush wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 10:14am On Oct 13, 2017
Nigerdeltaboi:
I stayed in block 7 in my second year and block 5 in my third year. I had to run to faj in my final year because I was becoming something else.

Life in awo can be crazy if care is not taken... I also left for PG hall too... grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 10:14am On Oct 13, 2017
forgiveness:

Torunarigha is the only German Nigeria playing the LB position. Meaning he is the one. Wow! grin

No more cult... grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 10:16am On Oct 13, 2017
krattoss:
I think rohr will move mountains with super eagles..

Come to think of it. .has any of our former coaches stayed this long without one or two rifts,beefs with the players or board??

That's why he is called PAPI Rohr...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 10:18am On Oct 13, 2017
blueto:
Enough of this please. Should we also attribute Moses's havoc against Cameroon to Iheanacho that was sitting on bench? Moses can cause havoc against any African side anytime anyday! with or without nacho. Should we also attribute Mikel's goal and Moses's second goal against Algeria to Nacho's “constant running?” Stop making reference to the words of a coach who waa just looking for an excuse for failure to defeat Nigeria.

the thing tire me. As if Moses didn't have his own marker that he evaded repeatedly, now we are praising Nacho for his inability to evade his marker even once for 90 complete minutes

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 10:19am On Oct 13, 2017
[quote author=elyte89 post=61376373][/quote]

Michael Babatuned is NOT better than Ajagun
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 10:22am On Oct 13, 2017
Mujtahida:

Mickael2 would like this.

he believes in one touch football, the only game we played one touch football was against Zambia back then, that means the players are not playing to the coach's instruction, why? Because the coach has been unable to pass his philosophy across? Why? Because he is not tactically gifted.

I like the way he goes about his job, letting the players do what they know(I mean till today Moses and Simon still run around like headless chicken) but I won't call him what he is not, and he isn't tactical
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:26am On Oct 13, 2017
Nigeria October 12, 2017
WHAT I TOLD IWOBI BEFORE INTRODUCING HIM AGAINST ZAMBIA – Rohr Speaks Out

Coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria Gernot Rohr has revealed the chat he had with Arsenal forward Alex Iwobi before introducing him in Nigeria’s 1-0 win over Zambia .
Iwobi was dropped from the starting line up by coach Gernot Rohr in the crucial World Cup 2018 Qualifiers tie in Uyo, but he emerged from the bench to score the winner for Nigeria.
Rohr replaced Moses Simon with Iwobi, and the coach has now revealed the instructions he passed on to the forward before his game changing introduction in the crucial game.
“Iwobi is a very important and integral part of our team, same as all other players that have played in the qualifier’s, but I must choose the best eleven to represent the country in every match and that was what we did against Zambia in Uyo and we are happy it paid off,” Rohr was quoted as saying by AOIfootball.com

“When I called Iwobi to get into the game, I told him the same thing I told him before the game, that he would be the game changer. It was obvious we needed more attacking powers to put the Zambians under pressure and Iwobi was in the perfect condition to deliver. He went in and changed the game for us,” Rohr added.
Ade Emmanuel
Source:http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/12/what-i-told-iwobi-before-introducing-him-against-zambia-rohr-speaks-out/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Naijaphobia(m): 10:26am On Oct 13, 2017
I got my first space in Faj hall as a new entrant..The magnetic force in Awo pulled me till I sold the space for a costlier one in Awo grin. Got glued there till I left the school grin. In fact, the hall sharpened me. Am sure it wasn't just BSc I got but several other unrecognized degrees from Awo hall grin grin grin

soetanoreoluwa:

Life in awo can be crazy if care is not taken... I also left for PG hall too... grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:31am On Oct 13, 2017
In this clip-on the 1:46 mark- Ola Aina can actually be heard calling Iwobi the game changer to buttress the fact that Iwobi's entry was all planned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Kuf-mgyUlg

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:34am On Oct 13, 2017
Mickael2:

he believes in one touch football, the only game we played one touch football was against Zambia back then, that means the players are not playing to the coach's instruction, why? Because the coach has been unable to pass his philosophy across? Why? Because he is not tactically gifted.

I like the way he goes about his job, letting the players do what they know(I mean till today Moses and Simon still run around like headless chicken) but I won't call him what he is not, and he isn't tactical
I see Mikel,Ndidi, Iwobi,Aina fit in perfectly when it comes to one touch football,hope others w adjust before WC.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:37am On Oct 13, 2017
NIGERIA October 13, 2017
SUPER EAGLES COACH ROHR CONFIRMS TALKS WITH GERMANY OVER FRIENDLY GAME IF ….

World Champions Germany are locked in talks with Nigeria over a potential friendly game which will help both teams fine tune their preparations for the World Cup 2018 in Russia according to coach of the Nigerian team.
Gernot told newsmen in Abuja yesterday that talks are already at an advanced stage with Germany over a friendly game, which will most likely take place next year provided both teams are not in the same group for the World Cup.
The draws for the World Cup will take place in December, and Rohr said provided Nigeria are not in the same group with Germany, there’s every tendency of both teams squaring up in a friendly few months before the World Cup.
“ A good preparation is what we are hoping to have, games against top teams will help us before the World Cup. We have already told Germany that we will like to play them in any of the FIFA International friendly windows between May and June provided we are not in the same World Cup group”, the coach said.
Ade Emmanuel
Source:http://owngoalnigeria.com/2017/10/13/super-eagles-coach-rohr-confirms-talks-with-germany-over-friendly-game-if/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:47am On Oct 13, 2017
blueto:

grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:48am On Oct 13, 2017
[quote author=elyte89 post=61376373][/quote]

What is this one saying? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:50am On Oct 13, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

That's why he is called PAPI Rohr...

me thinks it's more of inferiority complex...

Most people finds it hard to value and respect their own especially Africans. .

But the man good thoor

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:55am On Oct 13, 2017
RUSSIA 2018: IT’S TIME FOR NIGERIA TO PUNCH ABOVE HER WEIGHT
By Oluwashina Okeleji, Contributor
13 October 2017 | 3:37 am

The euphoria of Nigeria’s qualification for the 2018 FIFA World Cup continues to hang in the air, but for those high up in the Nigeria Football Federation ( NFF), it is time already for them to clear their heads. The buzz of celebratory champagne, after all, can only last so long: that the World Cup has begun is a fact that must not escape anyone if the Super Eagles are to make a proper fist of things in Russia.
Alex Iwobi’s goal in Uyo neatly wrapped up a qualifying campaign that has seen Gernot Rohr’s young charges exceed expectations. To qualify in a group considered the tightest, and to do so in such emphatic fashion, has raised the hopes of a nation. In terms of results, Nigeria has never had it this easy in World Cup qualifying; the question now is: how far can this team go at the main event next year?
On three of its previous five appearances at the finals, Nigeria has advanced past the Group stage. This includes its first and second tries, in 1994 and 1998. Those were hailed as respectable showings, even though the manners of elimination could hardly have been more different.
In 2014, the late great Stephen Keshi repeated the feat. You get the idea – the novelty of it has worn off. Only Cameroon have made more appearances at a World Cup from Africa , yet they are one of three African sides to progress to a World Cup Quarterfinal. You feel, if Nigeria is ever going to join this elite group, now is the time.
And why not? Against France in Brasilia three years ago, the game was very even; the Super Eagles caused them problems, and it took the departure of Ogenyi Onazi – his foot trod on by Blaise Matuidi – to turn the tide of the game . Roberto Baggio’s late, heart - rending double 20 years earlier, was a cruel blow having led for so long; and while Denmark crushed Nigeria in 1998, Bora Milutinovic’s side actually came into the game as heavy favourites .
The common denominator to all these eliminations, the thread that runs right through , is the thorny issue of match bonuses and allowances. As a result of Ghana's John Boye kissing a wad of cash and subsequently becoming the image of Africa’s financial problems at the last World Cup in Brazil (Cameroon similarly had issues ), it was a lot less publicized that the Nigerian team also had to deal with monetary agitation. The team refused to train on the eve of the game against France, demanding their bonuses be paid. As ideal preparation for a crunch World Cup knockout game goes, this was the equivalent of shooting oneself in the head.
Unpaid bonuses, similarly derailed the 1994 and 1998 vintages, and there was a noticeable lack of cohesive focus to the performance of the former in that loss to Italy. This is a pitfall that must be avoided this time around .
I spoke to the NFF first Vice- President Seyi Akinwunmi about this, and how the Federation would seek to curtail another fiasco at the Mundial. The approach of the Glass House with this crop so far has been one of candour: there are no untenable promises made, no half - truths told. This atmosphere of trust and openness, he said, relaxes the mood and reassures the players that they will get their due, and that nothing that is rightly theirs is being wilfully held back.
It is an admirable strategy, but one wonders how effective it will be in the long run . It is one thing to seek to put aside all distraction and just qualify, but how will that approach hold up in the high - pressured environment of the World Cup? It is worth remembering that, with this same board in charge, there was quite an embarrassing row over allowances and bonuses at last year’s Olympic Games in Rio. If indeed the NFF is serious about its target of a semi- final place, then these are the sort of things that should be seen to out of sight, without kicking up a fuss, or creating a scene.
The mistakes of the past have to be learnt from if the Super Eagles are to kick on. To those who say the target is unreasonable, what then is the point of being at the World Cup if you’re not going to compete? Participation is simply not enough anymore – it is time for Nigeria to finally punch above her weight in world football.
In this article:
Source:https://m.guardian.ng/sport/russia-2018-its-time-for-nigeria-to-punch-above-her-weight/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 10:56am On Oct 13, 2017
tbaba1234:
Dele Aiyenugba highlights for last season. As expected, many penalty saves. grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSWxYJYuTJo

Aiyenugba can be called up but he will have a battle on his hands.
Which battles please? Be very specific.
I am very sure if Rohr and the new goalkeeper trainer see these highlights, they will call him asap.
Aiyenugba is good.

**Modified**

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1792) (1793) (1794) (1795) (1796) (1797) (1798) ... (16336) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.