Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,923 members, 7,817,704 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:36 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1899) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11668989 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1896) (1897) (1898) (1899) (1900) (1901) (1902) ... (16151) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:02am On Oct 25, 2017
tbaba1234:
^The man city bench was BAD for Kelechi.. He now has to work hard to regain the momentum and confidence he had under pellegrini.

Yof guys keep talking about this confidence thing which does not exist. Iheanacho's goal for Leicester City was a goal of a player full of guts and confidence. While at City under Guardiola, Iheanacho scored some confident goals for Nigeria. One from outside the 18 yard box and another where he skinned the keeper to score.

What matters is improving his speed, work rate and tracking back speed. Also dropping deep to control the game from the front.

These he will get from training with quality City players and the Guardiola system. Not confidence.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:02am On Oct 25, 2017
GK
Ezenwa
(2 slots to fill)

DF
Leon
Ekong
Shehu
Elderson
Aina
Awaziem
(1 slot to fill)

MF
Mikel
Onazi
Ndidi
Etebo
(3 slots to Fill)

FW
Ighalo
Kelechi
V.Moses
S.Moses
Iwobi
(1 slot to fill)

The biggest opportunity is in centre midfield. Most of the other positions are filled.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:23am On Oct 25, 2017
tglobal:

Just to put the records straight...

We were grouped with Burkina Faso, Guinea and Kenya and Amodu was in charge at the start of the qualifiers (the first two matches).

Due to the hangover from the olympics victory, Nigerians expected the team to play in a certain way and resoundingly defeat any opponents we faced (especially in Africa). Such was this confidence in the players abilities that deep down, many felt we didnt need a coach to perform well. With this type of expectation, anything less than an imperious performance will be put down to the coach. This was what Amodu faced:

We beat BF 2 - 0 in the first match in Lagos from two second half goals. The second match was a different story altogether as we needed a header from Akpoborire to draw level against Kenya in Nairobi. The result was greeted with anger by the fans and the blame fell at the feet of Amodu. That was when he famously declared that Nigeria needed a foreign sports minister when Jim Nwobodo decided that the local coaches would not do it.

In came Phillipe Troussier with his own brand of football. He introduced the 3-5-2 system to the Eagles and led them to two uninspiring 2-1 victories (Guinea at home and BF away). The fans and the press blamed his system for the performance and he had to revert to 4-3-3/4-4-2 in the return 3-0 victory against Kenya where we picked our ticket with one match to spare. IT is worthy to note that, in the midst of Nigerian's dissatisfaction at his playing pattern, Clemens Westerhof was at the stands and received a resounding welcome(Troussier accused Kodjo Williams who was a friend of Westerhof of orchestrating this)

We went to Guinea for the final dead rubber match and lost 1- 0. The Guineans dominance over the eagles in that match led to a clamor for his sack and he was relieved of his role shortly afterwards (forget the fact that we have always found it difficult to get the upper hand against Guinea in senior matches, be it CHAN, WAFU or tournament qualifiers)

I have read that Bora had little time to prepare for the word cup, but he had at least 6 months to do that

Monday Sinclair on played two games for Nigeria Super Eagles in 1997 when Philippe Troussier was sacked by the Nigeria Football Federation

http://nationalpilot.wixsite.com/nationalpilot/single-post/2015/07/13/Who-is-Nigeria%E2%80%99s-best-indigenous-coach-ever

It is so difficult to dig up news on this but Monday Sinclair coached that Kenya match.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:27am On Oct 25, 2017
libero808:
no Jo Bonfrere was the coach when we drew with Kenya.
I think it was 1-1, not 1-0.
It was Trousier who finally took over the team and led us to several victories.
I remember Ohenhen and Oruma playing a part in that win over Kenya.

Thanks for the info that Troussier did not handle the first leg against Kenya but he also did not handle the 3-0 demolition game in Lagos against Kenya. Coach Monday Sinclair did. Sure of it because two years later, I lived in the same compound with Coach Sinclair. I discussed a lot about it with Coach Monday Sinclair's boys.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:33am On Oct 25, 2017
Goals of Nigeria vs Kenya which ended 3-0 in favor of Nigeria. You can see the through pass for the final goal by Chris Ohenhen to Wilson Oruma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40rEa990aG4

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tglobal(m): 6:34am On Oct 25, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Read this excerpt, you will see that Phillipe Troussier was gone before the game against Kenya. It was coach Monday Sinclair that handled the refreshing 3-0 demolition of Kenya in Lagos.

TROUSSIER: He has been under fire despite putting a 100 per cent record
with two wins in as many matches and placing the Eagles within 90 minutes
of a place at the World Cup finals.

The Frenchman is very bitter about undue interferences with training
programmes by the sports ministry. "I don't have anything against Enugu
as camp for Eagles" says Troussier. He prefers Soleni the camping site of
Abidjan-based Asec Mimosas. But later said, he wants the Eagles to train
in Lagos.

Meanwhile, as Troussier stayed back at home in France, the Nigeria
Football Association (NFA) has issued an ultimatum which expired last
Friday for players to report in Enugu or face the music.

SINCLAIR: If Troussier decides to quit (as he has earlier threatened),
Chief coach Monday Sinclair should take charge of the Eagles against the
Harambee Stars of Kenya. Are you panicked? Oh, it should be apprehension,
as according to Monaco striker, Victor Ikpeba:
"Nigerian Europe-based players don't respect local coaches."

EAGLES: The Eagles have outrightly rejected camping in Enugu and decided
to train in Lagos for the match against Kenya. Eagles' captain Uche
Okechukwu said: "We'll stay back in Lagos to train for the Kenyan match
rather than go through the hassles of finding our way to Enugu."
Another blow to the sports establishment?

NFA: The infuriated soccer house went into action Thursday passing a
stern 24 hours ultimatum to Phillipe Troussier. "Return or face the axe."

NFA's mouth-piece, Austin Mgbolu apparently annoyed with 'undue' media
criticisms like:
ominous headlines ... Nwobodo Chases Troussier Away (Champion): Troussier
At Large(Concord); Minister Goes Solo Over Troussier's Successor (Punch);
Sinclair To Lead Eagles ... Ministry, NFA Ignore Troussier (Vanguard),
etc. said the football association accused of indolence have resolved
that the decision to camp in Enugu is final and irrevocable.

https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/soc.culture.nigeria/2FWgj0HeWh4

your report says "If Troussier decides to quit...."
Nothing in the reports says Troussier quit before the game. He led Nigeria in the game and was eventually fired. See quote from wikipedia

Entering the job halfway through qualifying he led them into four games throughout the campaign as Nigeria successfully qualified, however the Nigeria Football Federation decided to relieve Troussier of his duties and ultimately let highly experienced coach Bora Milutinović lead them into the tournament due to his experience of already managing three different nations in a World Cup at that time

One of his achievements was qualifying Nigeria for the World cup. Think about it...why would you fire a coach who was leading the qualification group before the final decisive match?

Below quote from BBC confirms this too:

It will be the 50-year-old's second spell as coach of Nigeria after a first stint which saw him guide the Super Eagles to the 1998 World Cup
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/africa/4710307.stm
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tglobal(m): 6:40am On Oct 25, 2017
TheGoodJoe:
Goals of Nigeria vs Kenya which ended 3-0 in favor of Nigeria. You can see the through pass for the final goal by Chris Ohenhen to Wilson Oruma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40rEa990aG4

Shows nothing about who the coach was...I can even tell you the line up for that game from memory
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 6:44am On Oct 25, 2017
I couldn’t sleep the night before my Super Eagles debut reveals Ibrahim Alhassan ‘Muazzam’

By admin -
October 24, 2017, 5:51 pm

Ibrahim Alhassan ‘Muazzam’ has revealed that he could not sleep the night before his Eagles debut against Corsica in France in May.

The forward then playing for Akwa United will go on to play an hour as the Eagles forced their hosts to a 1-1 draw.

‘Muazzam’ made this revelation in the official magazine of his club Austrian Wien, which had him on its front cover.

“It was for me a huge dream that had come true. I was so excited that I could not sleep the night I received the good news (he will play against Corsica),” the FC Hearts star opened up.

“I had the opportunity and privilege to play with the best players in Nigeria like (Alex) Iwobi, (Ogenyi) Onazi and (Ahmed) Musa. I have watched these players so often…that was a very special experience for me.”

He said he hopes for a recall to the team in time for next year’s World Cup in Russia.

“The coach was pleased with me. I hope I will have many more call-ups to the national team,” he said.

At Austria Wien, ‘Muazzam’ can play various positions upfront – false 9, 10, 8, 6 – even though coach Thorsten Fink sees the 20-year-old as a No 8 in the central midfield.

“I feel both at ease as a striker or playing behind the strikers. I am a player who places the team in the first. I play wherever the coach sets me up and where the team needs me the most. If the coach asks me to play as a goalkeeper, I will also do my best there, ” joked the player, who has now got the nickname ‘Ibra’.

He said he is confident his club will win trophies.

“We have many new players and are now trying to become a better team. Everyone is fighting for the whole team, the whole club,” he told his club’s magazine.

“I know what I have in FK Austria Vienna and appreciate it that I have been given that chance here. I will work hard for this club and the fans.

“Football in Africa is quite different. I have to get used to this new situation. but I hope that together we can celebrate some successes already this season.

“I will try as much as possible and to adapt quickly. My teammates help me a lot.

“I am also trying as quickly as possible to learn German.”

http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2017/10/24/i-couldnt-sleep-the-night-before-my-super-eagles-debut-reveals-ibrahim-alhassan-muazzam/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:47am On Oct 25, 2017
tglobal:

Shows nothing about who the coach was...I can even tell you the line up for that game from memory

I did not post the video for proof of Sinclair. I posted it for people to see a hint of our play in that game. That match was not handled by Troussier. At least this post will give you an idea.

Monday Sinclair on played two games for Nigeria Super Eagles in 1997 when Philippe Troussier was sacked by the Nigeria Football Federation

http://nationalpilot.wixsite.com/nationalpilot/single-post/2015/07/13/Who-is-Nigeria%E2%80%99s-best-indigenous-coach-ever
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tglobal(m): 6:55am On Oct 25, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I did not post the video for proof of Sinclair. I posted it for people to see a hint of our play in that game. That match was not handled by Troussier. At least this post will give you an idea.

Lol. no need dragging this. Your links say nothing about when Troussier was sacked or the matches Sinclair coached . I have given you links which state that Troussier qualified us for the mundial and one of them confirmed my earlier submission that he coached us for 4 matches. All your posted links show is that Sinclair coached eagles in some matches, not the specific matches he coached.

There was a 4 nation mini tournament in 1997 involving Nigeria, Cameroon and two other African countries after the WCQ series....those may be the 2 matches your link refers to

That said, since you said Sinclair confirmed to you that he was head coach against Kenya, I cant challenge you on that (Though I suspect he may be talking of his role as assistant).

I remember vividly, Troussier's unhappy interview after qualification, lamenting Westerhof's presence in the stands!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by neighy(m): 7:05am On Oct 25, 2017
safarigirl:
as in. It will make a mockery of International football. If we have to technically 'buy' players from other countries, they should kuku removfeghe whole idea of player nationality so you won't have to be from a country or linked to it to play for them

We can place bids for Asensio and Moussa Dembele grin
wait till china bid for ronaldo messi and neymar..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:07am On Oct 25, 2017
tglobal:

Lol. no need dragging this. Your links say nothing about when Troussier was sacked or the matches Sinclair coached . I have given you links which state that Troussier qualified us for the mundial and one of them confirmed my earlier submission that he coached us for 4 matches. All your posted links show is that Sinclair coached eagles in some matches, not the specific matches he coached.

There was a 4 nation mini tournament in 1997 involving Nigeria, Cameroon and two other African countries after the WCQ series....those may be the 2 matches your link refers to

That said, since you said Sinclair confirmed to you that he was head coach against Kenya, I cant challenge you on that (Though I suspect he may be talking of his role as assistant).

I remember vividly, Troussier's unhappy interview after qualification, lamenting Westerhof's presence in the stands!

Coach Monday Sinclair also coached that four nations mini competition. It was called the LG Cup. Not Troussier.

Gotti:
Coach Monday Sinclair took the Eagles to the 1997 LG Cup in Tunisia, shortly after Phillipe Troussier was fired and before Bora was appointed. Pius Ikedia made his Eagles' debut as a substitute in both matches of the tourney, and the team also included the since-infamous Francis Kumbur.

http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28234

That is playing Pius Ikedia a year plus before Nigeria 1999.

I am not talking about Assistant manager but head coach/technical Adviser.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:13am On Oct 25, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Iheanacho scored and had an assist. He has that ability but I am talking about developing and then moving on. Does it mean Iheanacho can nit work hard, improve and give Gabriel Jesus a run for his money. There was a time Sane was on the bench. Later he showed remarkable improvement and to some became better than Gabriel Jesus later.

You do not get that kind of improvement at Leicester City. Scoring and assisting is not the same thing as improving.

In the last EPL game of City against Burnley, when the camera caught Mangala warming up, it was hard to recognize him. He has lost so much weight. You can see what Guardiola is doing with him. He wants Mangala very fast. A lot of clubs will play him but the improvement will not be that rapid or stay the same.

I did not say Manchester City is the only club for improvement of Nacho but Leicester City does not have that kind of environment to give Nacho the right challenge to develop.

Also, no one says Nacho should stay on the bench all his life but in his formative years. I wonder why such a point is so difficult to get. Next thing you will type bench all his life. When no one said that.

Iheanacho has left City. So he must not move on. We should continue wishing he remained at City to 'develop'.

My own is Iheanacho should be getting enough playing time at Leicester as he could be vital to our WC campaign. Take him back to City to 'develop' if you want. I have said my own.

No need continuing with this argument because it is like going round in circles.

As someone rightly said, arguing Iheanacho's case with you is like looking for the coefficient of x in 2=2.

Loz!!

Case closed.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 7:15am On Oct 25, 2017
blueto:
Iheanacho scores!! Every player now doing better for world cup slot. Maybe neologists can help coin a phobia word on Fear of missing the world cup

Mundialomissophobia
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tglobal(m): 7:16am On Oct 25, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Coach Monday Sinclair also coached that four nations mini competition. It was called the LG Cup. Not Troussier.

Gotti:
Coach Monday Sinclair took the Eagles to the 1997 LG Cup in Tunisia, shortly after Phillipe Troussier was fired and before Bora was appointed. Pius Ikedia made his Eagles' debut as a substitute in both matches of the tourney, and the team also included the since-infamous Francis Kumbur.

http://forum.cybereagles.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=28234

That is playing Pius Ikedia a year plus before Nigeria 1999.

I am not talking about Assistant manager but head coach/technical Adviser.

Great. Thanks for that link.

Remember the link you shared earlier says that Coach Sinclair coached Nigeria for 2 matches in 1997. The two matches Nigeria played in that tournament is what the link refers to, not the WCQs otherwise, the report would have said 4 matches. Please go through our back and forth and see that the links you have posted are consistent with my submission!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:16am On Oct 25, 2017
Icon4s:

Iheanacho has left City. So he must not move on. We should continue wishing he remained at City to 'develop'.

My own is Iheanacho should be getting enough playing time at Leicester as he could be vital to our WC campaign. Take him back to City to 'develop' if you want. I have said my own.

No need continuing with this argument because it is like going round in circles.

As someone rightly said, arguing Iheanacho's case with you is like looking for the coefficient of x in 2=2.

Loz!!

Case closed.

I expect Iheanacho to make the best of his stay at Leicester City. He had lessons at Man City and I hope he stays discipline and focused. No one said he is still at Man City. Just that Man City was a better option. Finito.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:20am On Oct 25, 2017
tglobal:

Great. Thanks for that link.

Remember the link you shared earlier says that Coach Sinclair coached Nigeria for 2 matches in 1997. The two matches Nigeria played in that tournament is what the link refers to, not the WCQs otherwise, the report would have said 4 matches. Please go through our back and forth and see that the links you have posted are consistent with my submission!

The LG Cup was a friendly tournament. That can not be what the link is talking about. Sinclair's two games were World Cup qualifiers. Troussier was gone before the game against Kenya. I think some home-based players got into the squad. Some made the bench. That was why Chris Ohenhen could get his nod and debut for the Super Eagles. Troussier would not have given Ohenhen that opportunity. Sinclair being the head coach could make that decision and Ohenhen did not fail.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:22am On Oct 25, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I expect Iheanacho to make the best of his stay at Leicester City. He had lessons at Man City and I hope he stays discipline and focused. No one said he is still at Man City. Just that Man City was a better option. Finito.

By the way, I have not seen your inputs for reasons why we have failed in our last 5 World cup outings.

Goke7 is collating. We intend publishing it on the NFF and Toyin Ibiyoye's(Super Eagles Media officer) handles. We can also create a separate thread for it here and call on the modes to take it to front page.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:32am On Oct 25, 2017
Icon4s:

By the way, I have not seen your inputs for reasons why we have failed in our last 5 World cup outings.

Goke7 is collating. We intend publishing it on the NFF and Toyin Ibiyoye's(Super Eagles Media officer) handles. We can also create a separate thread for it here and call on the modes to take it to front page.

Our major problem is unfair selections and not given the right players the opportunity to grow into the team. Our only solution to succeed in the World Cup is to have the right blend of players and with the best tactical set-up.

A good example is how Alloy Agu who is visibly incompetent is the goalkeeper coach in Rohr's technical crew. The men in suits and kaftans in the offices of the NFF know he is incompetent but put him there.

How can we succeed if we do not get it right with our team and coaching crew selections.

This article will give you an insight of how a good player gets dropped despite being good enough. We find an excuse to keep a weaker player and members of the press exonerate the poor choices.

Article coming up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 7:38am On Oct 25, 2017
Mujtahida:

I am very much like you as I watch football for enjoyment not as an intellectual exercise but goodjoe and Mickael2 pushed(I bet they don't know) to want to develop a more tactical eye. I wanted to understand what pressing meant, double pivot, gengen pressing, regista, libero, false nine etc. This site helped me. You might want to check it out: http://www.thefalse9.com

thanks for recommending that site. I have checked it out and it looks like one I'll enjoy thanks alot
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:39am On Oct 25, 2017
Why Nigeria failed at the 2010 world Cup:

1. Just like 3 previous consecutive failures(NFF no dey learn), a new coach for the world cup

2. No proper friendlies as the only one I can recall is the 0-0 draw against Saudi Arabia.

3.Inexperience in the squad. We were not at the 2006 WC. So even the then big boys like Yakubu, Osaze, Shittu and co were debutants. Only Enyeama, and Yobo had the pre-WC experience from 2002.

4. Sani Kaita lost his brains. He single handledly "Kicked" us out of the tournament.

5. The overall quality of the team was poor as even the key players were already nearing the twilight of their careers.

6. Injuries to Mikel and Ike Uche. These two players were at the peak of their careers and would have no doubt contributed immensely to the midfield and attack respectively.

7. Yakubu's miss. That had to go down as the miss of the tournament.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:41am On Oct 25, 2017
I was frustrated out of Super Eagles – Ekong
…Tasks Siasia on tactical discipline
By EMMA NJOKU
Saturday, November 27, 2010

Out-of-favour Super Eagles’ midfielder, Prince Ikpe Ekong, has sensationally revealed that he quit the national team out of frustration after the 2004 Nations Cup in Tunisia.

The born again Christian footballer, who currently plies his trade with Djurgarden FC in the Swedish League, told Saturday Sunsports that he was serially dropped from tournament squads despite proving himself while in camp just because he had no ‘godfather’ to front for him in the national team.
According to him, he had to hold on to God’s assurance that he would put on the green and white national team’s jersey during the Nations Cup in Tunisia in 2004, a promise that actually came to pass irrespective of the stumbling blocks.

“Actually, I personally called it quits with the Super Eagles. The last time I played for the team at the Nations Cup in Tunisia (2004), I played with a lot of pain and frustration, trying to prove myself over and over again,” the Akwa Ibom State-born player began. “I went on trying to watch my left and right to know what was going on, but it shouldn’t be so. I had to go through all that because I had nobody behind me. However, I was able to make the Nations Cup in 2004 and I was very glad.

“Even at that Nations Cup, I was supposed to be a regular player, but I was not given the opportunity until the third place match against Malawi, which we won and brought the bronze back home. After that match, people protested why I was kept on the bench in the previous matches. They argued that I was good enough to make the first team. It was after that Nations Cup that I decided to focus on my club career and forget about the national team.

“I was off and on in the national team. From 1997, when Coach Monday Sinclair was in charge of the team, I proved my ability to be part of the team. I went abroad at a very tender age and was given the opportunity to train with the national team despite the fact that I was not among the invited players. There was a time we went to Zambia, where we played two games and I was adjudged the best player. I was extraordinary and the coach said ‘that boy must go to France ’98 World Cup finals’. But what happened later? I never got a call up letter again. That has been my case.

“In 2002, I came back to the team and Coach Shaibu Amodu said that I was the revelation of the team when we were at the Otta Camp in Ogun State. But I was dropped again from the Nations Cup squad to Mali that year. They took me to Abidjan in Ivory Coast and dropped me there to ensure that fans back home would not make trouble over my exclusion from the Nations Cup squad.

“In 2004, I almost gave up, but God promised me that I would make the Eagles’ squad to the Nations Cup that year. He told me not to give up. So, when I put on that green and white jersey in 2004, I felt that the dream has come true and I said to myself, ‘it’s all over for me’.

Ekong, who has not ruled out a possible return to the national team if only he would be accorded the respect he deserves, said the current Super Eagles lacked tactical discipline. He also commented on Samson Siasia’s appointment as Eagles’ new coach, the quality of players in the team and what the coach must do to actualise the full potentials of the players, among other issues.

Return to Super Eagles
I might come back to the Super Eagles, but I’m not ready to go through the hell I past through before. If I’m called up and I’m sure that I would be well respected, I will honour the invitation.

Siasia’s new appointment
Anyone given a job should always be able to do it perfectly. The ability to do the right thing at the right time is what makes an individual perfect in what he or she does. So, my advice to Siasia is that he must take total charge of the team. If it requires signing an agreement with the football Federation, he should do that.
Taking charge means that he should enforce discipline in the team. The bible says if the foundation is destroyed, what can the righteous do? It’s all about the foundation. If he can deal with the foundation by doing what is right, every other thing will fall into place.

Would Keshi have been better?
When I played in the Super Eagles at the Nations Cup in 2002 under Coach Amodu, Stephen Keshi was his assistant and he has been a good coach. He was also a professional footballer. Siasia is good too. He was a professional footballer also. But like I said earlier, it’s what you do that makes the difference in you.

Rating current Eagles
At the moment, the Super Eagles team is tactically undisciplined. It baffles me because all the players in the team at the moment are professionals. So, I wonder why they are not tactically disciplined.
Take for instance, when a corner kick is about to be taken, teams are expected to map out which player that marks who. It’s called ‘man marking’. But I wonder why we cannot implement that tactics in the Super Eagles. Is it that the players were not taught or that they were taught but they failed to carry out the instruction? This is what I cannot comprehend because we have the potentials and everything one can think of, but what we lack in the team is tactical discipline.

No reason to fail
Nigeria has exceptional players. With a population of about 150 million people, the country has players that are playing in the best teams in the world. Mikel Obi plays for Chelsea in England, and Chelsea is an exceptional team with exceptional players. Yakubu Aiyegbeni, Joseph Yobo, Obafemi Martins, Obinna Nsofor and Osaze Odemwingie are all exceptional players doing well in Europe.

Being an exceptional player, goes with certain qualities. The tag you carry in your club, as a professional, is the same tag you carry when you come to the national team. So, I wonder where the problem is coming from. May be the coaches are not stamping their feet to get the best from those players or perhaps, the players are not motivated well enough to exhibit professionalism.

If player are well motivated, you will see it on the pitch. Motivation in this sense may not be financial; it could be psychological. Football has a lot to do with psychology. You can psyche up players. You can make them to understand why they must not disappoint. Probably, we need an expert in that area.

http://www.nigerianbestforum.com/blog/i-was-frustrated-out-of-super-eagles-%E2%80%93-ekong/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:42am On Oct 25, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Our major problem is unfair selections and not given the right players the opportunity to grow into the team. Our only solution to succeed in the World Cup is to have the right blend of players and with the best tactical set-up.

A good example is how Alloy Agu who is visibly incompetent is the goalkeeper coach in Rohr's technical crew. The men in suits and kaftans in the offices of the NFF know he is incompetent but put him there.

How can we succeed if we do not get it right with our team and coaching crew selections.

This article will give you an insight of how a good player gets dropped despite being good enough. We find an excuse to keep a weaker player and members of the press exonerate the poor choices.

Article coming up.

Bros we are making reference to 2014 and beyond.

I know the root of your problem with Alloy Agu.

Just post the reasons for PAST failures.
Thanks.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 7:46am On Oct 25, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

Actually I really miss your update on NPFL.. Even though I do follow it...

Am not new though... Being following as a guest since 2013...after kickoffnigeria and SL10 closed down and someone from Sl10 ..i couldnot remember his name... Brought a suggestion of nairaland... That made me jumped in ... But I didn't register... Just doing ghost reading ..

Until we lost against Egypt... During AFCON qualifier last year... I was so disappointed and battered... First time in my life Nigeria missing out of two consecutive afcon... grin
Me too dey learn too... Thanks to the elders in the house for updating Indomie generation like us... grin

I was never part of SL10 and kickoff. I joined NL around 2013 although I had known of it before 2012. I joined in the discussion on the 2013 u17 n u20 threads and since then I v been like MTN, everywhere they go on thus thread iv been there

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:49am On Oct 25, 2017
It is an interesting read but I want to highlight on the part that Ekong was good, the coaches and probably members of the NFF knew but we left him and others out for political/sentimental reasons.

Apart from the World Cup in 1994 where we got it right to a reasonable extent, due to Aikhomo, then a lover of the game and in a very powerful opinion, giving Clemens Westerhoff power to a reasonable extent, we have been getting it wrong for a very long time.

Shabby preparations and also a lack of continuity.

We can no longer deceive ourselves believing getting it wrong in different aspects of the game will land us glory due to divine favor.

We need to get it right from the set-up of the technical team, team selection and preparations. The Team manager has a vital role of putting his ambition for a great World Cup performance above any sentimental or political decision in every aspect of the game.

As soon as we let in bias in form of sentiments or political reasons, then we are preparing to fail. A lot of teams are being fair in every segment. We can not expect to cheat the system and win.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:50am On Oct 25, 2017
Icon4s:

Bros we are making reference to 2014 and beyond.

I know the root of your problem with Alloy Agu.

Just post the reasons for PAST failures.
Thanks.

Why 2014 and beyond, when you are asking for past five World Cups.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:56am On Oct 25, 2017
Anyone given a job should always be able to do it perfectly. The ability to do the right thing at the right time is what makes an individual perfect in what he or she does. So, my advice to Siasia is that he must take total charge of the team. If it requires signing an agreement with the football Federation, he should do that.

Taking charge means that he should enforce discipline in the team. The bible says if the foundation is destroyed, what can the righteous do? It’s all about the foundation. If he can deal with the foundation by doing what is right, every other thing will fall into place.

This excerpt from Ekong's Interview summarises what I feel is the true detriment of the Super Eagles. Not only in the World Cups but also in failing to qualify for different tournaments and failing to win AFCON tournaments.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:57am On Oct 25, 2017
TheGoodJoe:
I was frustrated out of Super Eagles – Ekong
…Tasks Siasia on tactical discipline
By EMMA NJOKU
Saturday, November 27, 2010

Out-of-favour Super Eagles’ midfielder, Prince Ikpe Ekong, has sensationally revealed that he quit the national team out of frustration after the 2004 Nations Cup in Tunisia.

The born again Christian footballer, who currently plies his trade with Djurgarden FC in the Swedish League, told Saturday Sunsports that he was serially dropped from tournament squads despite proving himself while in camp just because he had no ‘godfather’ to front for him in the national team.
According to him, he had to hold on to God’s assurance that he would put on the green and white national team’s jersey during the Nations Cup in Tunisia in 2004, a promise that actually came to pass irrespective of the stumbling blocks.

“Actually, I personally called it quits with the Super Eagles. The last time I played for the team at the Nations Cup in Tunisia (2004), I played with a lot of pain and frustration, trying to prove myself over and over again,” the Akwa Ibom State-born player began. “I went on trying to watch my left and right to know what was going on, but it shouldn’t be so. I had to go through all that because I had nobody behind me. However, I was able to make the Nations Cup in 2004 and I was very glad.

“Even at that Nations Cup, I was supposed to be a regular player, but I was not given the opportunity until the third place match against Malawi, which we won and brought the bronze back home. After that match, people protested why I was kept on the bench in the previous matches. They argued that I was good enough to make the first team. It was after that Nations Cup that I decided to focus on my club career and forget about the national team.

“I was off and on in the national team. From 1997, when Coach Monday Sinclair was in charge of the team, I proved my ability to be part of the team. I went abroad at a very tender age and was given the opportunity to train with the national team despite the fact that I was not among the invited players. There was a time we went to Zambia, where we played two games and I was adjudged the best player. I was extraordinary and the coach said ‘that boy must go to France ’98 World Cup finals’. But what happened later? I never got a call up letter again. That has been my case.

“In 2002, I came back to the team and Coach Shaibu Amodu said that I was the revelation of the team when we were at the Otta Camp in Ogun State. But I was dropped again from the Nations Cup squad to Mali that year. They took me to Abidjan in Ivory Coast and dropped me there to ensure that fans back home would not make trouble over my exclusion from the Nations Cup squad.

“In 2004, I almost gave up, but God promised me that I would make the Eagles’ squad to the Nations Cup that year. He told me not to give up. So, when I put on that green and white jersey in 2004, I felt that the dream has come true and I said to myself, ‘it’s all over for me’.

Ekong, who has not ruled out a possible return to the national team if only he would be accorded the respect he deserves, said the current Super Eagles lacked tactical discipline. He also commented on Samson Siasia’s appointment as Eagles’ new coach, the quality of players in the team and what the coach must do to actualise the full potentials of the players, among other issues.

Return to Super Eagles
I might come back to the Super Eagles, but I’m not ready to go through the hell I past through before. If I’m called up and I’m sure that I would be well respected, I will honour the invitation.

Siasia’s new appointment

Would Keshi have been better?
When I played in the Super Eagles at the Nations Cup in 2002 under Coach Amodu, Stephen Keshi was his assistant and he has been a good coach. He was also a professional footballer. Siasia is good too. He was a professional footballer also. But like I said earlier, it’s what you do that makes the difference in you.

Rating current Eagles
At the moment, the Super Eagles team is tactically undisciplined. It baffles me because all the players in the team at the moment are professionals. So, I wonder why they are not tactically disciplined.
Take for instance, when a corner kick is about to be taken, teams are expected to map out which player that marks who. It’s called ‘man marking’. But I wonder why we cannot implement that tactics in the Super Eagles. Is it that the players were not taught or that they were taught but they failed to carry out the instruction? This is what I cannot comprehend because we have the potentials and everything one can think of, but what we lack in the team is tactical discipline.

No reason to fail
Nigeria has exceptional players. With a population of about 150 million people, the country has players that are playing in the best teams in the world. Mikel Obi plays for Chelsea in England, and Chelsea is an exceptional team with exceptional players. Yakubu Aiyegbeni, Joseph Yobo, Obafemi Martins, Obinna Nsofor and Osaze Odemwingie are all exceptional players doing well in Europe.

Being an exceptional player, goes with certain qualities. The tag you carry in your club, as a professional, is the same tag you carry when you come to the national team. So, I wonder where the problem is coming from. May be the coaches are not stamping their feet to get the best from those players or perhaps, the players are not motivated well enough to exhibit professionalism.

If player are well motivated, you will see it on the pitch. Motivation in this sense may not be financial; it could be psychological. Football has a lot to do with psychology. You can psyche up players. You can make them to understand why they must not disappoint. Probably, we need an expert in that area.

http://www.nigerianbestforum.com/blog/i-was-frustrated-out-of-super-eagles-%E2%80%93-ekong/

Thank God a good number of us have been following football for some time.

I know Ikpe Ekong very well even reach his hood in Ajegunle.

All those his talks of proving himself in camp are just his personal opinion.

Ikpe Ekong was an unused substitute midfielder at the 2004 AFCON.

Other midfielders in that squad were JJ Okocha, Garba Lawal and Seyi Olofinjano. Which of this trio was Ikpe better than that he would deserve a starting place? Mind you also Wilson Oruma did not even make the squad.

As I said thank God for some of us are here. Tomorrow now someone like John Ogu fit come out with something like this and some people will believe.

But TheGoodJoe is this one of the reasons we failed in the last 5 World Cups?

modified: 2002 AFCON midfield: JJ Okocha, Sunday Oliseh, Wilson Oruma, Garba Lawal, Justice Christopher. Christopher was what Kelechi Nwakali is today(talented young player). Who Ekong for displace here?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 7:59am On Oct 25, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Why 2014 and beyond, when you are asking for past five World Cups.

Counting the clock backwards. 2014 to 1994 .
Or you prefer it 1994 to 2014.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 8:03am On Oct 25, 2017
kellycute:
Mikeal2.. iheanacho scored oo and give assist too. The moment oga Mikeal see iheanacho goal and assist.. he be like lol.

You guys are not serious honestly grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:04am On Oct 25, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

This excerpt from Ekong's Interview summarises what I feel is the true detriment of the Super Eagles. Not only in the World Cups but also in failing to qualify for different tournaments and failing to win AFCON tournaments.

You last paragraph see my comment above
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:09am On Oct 25, 2017
Icon4s:

Thank God a good number of us have been following football for some time.

I know Ikpe Ekong very well even reach his hood in Ajegunle.

All those his talks of proving himself in camp are just his personal opinion.

Ikpe Ekong was an unused substitute midfielder at the 2004 AFCON.

Other midfielders in that squad were JJ Okocha, Garba Lawal and Seyi Olofinjano. Which of this trio was Ikpe better than that he would deserve a starting place? Mind you also Wilson Oruma did not even make the squad.

As I said thank God some of us are here. Tomorrow now someone like John Ogu fit come out with something like this and some people will believe.

But TheGoodJoe is this one of the reasons we failed in the last 5 World Cups?

Garba Lawal was atrocius in lots of games. We had better players than him for years. There where games Garba Lawal failed to make simple crosses.

Look at his goal against Spain in France 98. Fortunately, it entered the net but Garba Lawal confessed he was trying to cross the ball.

You can imagine such atrocity. That was a cross. Such a player was a regular for ages in the Super Eagles starting lineup. Then we make excuses that he defends or plays like a midfielder despite repeated poor games.

To you it is just Ikpe Ekong's opinion. To me, even before France 98, that was our biggest problem. Political/sentimental choices in the team. Including the choice of coaches and the coaching crew.

The NFF must get it right this time. Give Rohr the liberty to rectify the team. Rohr must to a good job to his own satisfaction.

As Ikpe Ekong said, get that right and everything will fall into place.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1896) (1897) (1898) (1899) (1900) (1901) (1902) ... (16151) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: oloriooko(m), twentyk(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.