Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,445 members, 7,861,281 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 08:48 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1911) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11931695 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1908) (1909) (1910) (1911) (1912) (1913) (1914) ... (16336) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:02am On Oct 26, 2017
Joebie:
TURKEY: Super Lig - Round 9

Whoscored Nigerian Super Lig Player of the Week | Aminu Umar

Antalyaspor 2-1 Kasimpasa

Samuel Eto'o (Antalyaspor) got whoscored's MOTM recognition in the expense of Kenneth Omeruo. Omeruo looked rather sluggish and could have been more effective in preventing Antalyaspor's goals. However, the Super Eagles standby center-back came out in top 5 for successful tackles (3). He made 7 clearances, 3 interceptions and was dribbled once.
+Stats Rating: 7.21

Sivasspor 0-0 Bursaspor

Super Eagles defensive midfielder, Mikel Agu was not as impressive as he was in his previous outing for Bursaspor. He lasted for the entire duration and was yellow carded in the 59th minute. But in terms of pass success rate, Agu made Whoscored's top 5, with 43 accurate passes from 48 attempted - the second best for players who put in a full shift. Agu also came tops in successful tackles of 4, but was dispossessed twice.
+Stats Rating: 7.02

Teammate, William Troost-Ekong also lasted the entire encounter, and did well at the back, with a total of 56 touches to keep the home team quiet for the duration of the match. King-Kong, as he is called by club fans, was impressive with 5 clearances and achieved 100% success in tackles attempted.
+Stats Rating: 7.14

Silvasspor and Super Eagles left back, Elderson Echiejile is still out due injury.
+Stats Rating: N/A

Osmanlispor 3-0 Karabukspor

Dream Team VI forward, Aminu Umar, worked another full shift as a left attacking midfielder for Osmanlispor. Aminu was rated highly for his all-round contribution in helping his side earn an impressive home win. Umar made 36 accurate passes from 42 attempted, 3 of which were key passes in the build up to the goals scored.
+Stats Rating: 7.29

Osmanlispor's manager, Irfan Buz, did not give Raheem Lawal a chance to come on.
+Stats Rating : N/A

Yeni Malatyaspor 1-0 Trabzonspor
Sincere Seth and teammates benefited from an own goal to steal the maximum points in front of their home fans. Seth did not get the nod from the bench, after a dismal debut showing in the previous round.
+Stats Rating : N/A

Azubuike Okechukwu was conspicuously missing from Yeni's matchday squad for the second consecutive time. The 20-year-old Dream Team VI defensive midfielder last played for Yeni on the 1st of October, when he was pulled off in the 44th minute of their 1-1 draw with Patrick Eze's Konyaspor.

Kayeserispor 2-1 Konyaspor

Imoh Ezekiel was a 46th minute sub-in for Konyaspor. He was cautioned 3 minutes after regulation time. It was all tie in top 5 for aerial duels won (3), with Ezekiel getting a mention. Ezekiel also managed to take a total of 2 shots for the considerable short time he spent on the pitch, one of which was on target.
+Stats Rating: 6.04

24-year-old Konyaspor forward, Patrick Friday Eze, was not listed for the encounter. Eze has been impressive for the Anatollian Eagle since his move from the Emirates. He has scored twice in the 197 minutes he has logged in the Super Lig. He also has an assist to his name in the Europa League.
Pls what can u say on Omeruo rating coz ANZ said he was sluggish and still get good rating even better than Ekong.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:26am On Oct 26, 2017
His sluggishness was as regards the goals they conceded. However, his tackles, clearances and interceptions scored him points.

Modified
And it does not necessarily mean Omeruo did better than Ekong. Two different matches, different scenarios.
The attacking threat Ekong faced MAY not have necessitated him having that much tackles, clearances and interceptions. The comparison will be only fair if they are both teammates as Center Backs and played in the same match. So yes, Omeruo had a a higher rating, but his rating is not relative to Ekong's or any other player's for that matter who played in a different match.

Kog45:
Pls what can u say on Omeruo rating coz ANZ said he was sluggish and still get good rating even better than Ekong.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:38am On Oct 26, 2017
Joebie:
His sluggishness was as regards the goals they conceded. However, his tackles, clearances and interceptions scored him points.

Modified
And it does not necessarily mean Omeruo did better than Ekong. Two different matches, different scenarios.
The attacking threat Ekong faced MAY not have necessitated him having that much tackles, clearances and interceptions. The comparison will be only fair if they are both teammates as Center Backs and played in the same match. So yes, Omeruo had a a higher rating, but his rating is not relative to Ekong's or any other player for that matter who played in a different match.

not really comparing his performance with Ekong,I just need clarification on word sluggish
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:43am On Oct 26, 2017
Well Omeruo should have done better as regards the goals Kasimpasa conceded. One of them was a corner, where he did not react quickly to stay with his man. In the build up to the other goal, he wasn't sharp in marking, he was bullied into allowing a cross evade him.
Kog45:
not really comparing his performance with Ekong,I just need clarification on word sluggish
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:53am On Oct 26, 2017
Joebie:

Modified
The attacking threat Ekong faced MAY not have necessitated him having that much tackles, clearances and interceptions. The comparison will be only fair if they are both teammates as Center Backs and played in the same match. So yes, Omeruo had a a higher rating, but his rating is not relative to Ekong's or any other player's for that matter who played in a different match.

Are u saying whoscored's rating doesn't matter coz they normally have team of d week and with this rating i thought Omeruo get better chance than Ekong in team of d week with d ratings,just asking
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:01am On Oct 26, 2017
Statistically yes. I Want to believe whoscored has a way of scoring based on the many aspects of the game.

But it does not ALWAYS apply in reality. Which is why Goal's team of the week for example will have some differences. So to some extent it is subjective. Another statistical website may use different ways of scoring. But on the whole, there will be similarities between them.

Consider this example, I as a striker score 5 goals against a team that has a whack defense, I'm more likely to make the team of the week, than say Kayode who performed very well against a very strong opposition, but didn't score.

Kog45:
Are u saying whoscored's rating doesn't matter coz they normally have team of d week and with this rating i thought Omeruo get better chance than Ekong in team of d week with d ratings,just asking
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:05am On Oct 26, 2017
And even if Kayode scored, I still have a stronger chance making the team of the week. So I want to think the statistics wont consider those outside variables. So the player of the week is not necessarily the best player of that week, but the best player statistically. @ kog45
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:11am On Oct 26, 2017
Kog45:
Mikel-Onazi limits Ndidi performance?also Mikel-Ndidi limits Onazi performance?

Then why are we always complaining that d removal of Mikel always destabilise d team rhythm.

Now u want Rohr to try Mikel--Ndidi-Iwobi and we still have Ndidi-Iwobi limits Mikel.

I don't think there should be excuse for non performance and so far Ndidi is doing well,super eagles is not Leicester city.

There is nothing like removal of one player give other room to perform better,football is not like that,u just have to be at your peak whenever you are on d field irrespective of who is in d team.

Mikel-Onazi-Ndidi is working for now coz d result is there for us to see,though good to feel Mikel-Ndidi-Iwobi combo.

You are right, Leicester is different from the national team, Ndidi plays amongst players that he is well better than at Leicester, so it is easy to spot his impressive performance when playing unlike the national team were you have Mikel. Ndidi have also been doing very well for the national team but people are easily more concerned with Mikel's performance, since Ndidi's main role is to shield the defense, a position that doesn't draw much attention.

Joebie:
I agree but I disagree.
In terms of all round play, yes the presence of a player playing a specific role can confine a teammate to another role, which may define their overall impact. But to say the presence of that player will tie the leg of his teammate from pulling one or two tricks, I totally disagree.

however on a second thought, can Ndidi play Mikel's role? Because in that Senegal game, Ndidi was the sprayer of passes, and he seemed to be the spine of that midfield in the absence of Mikel. Also checking our formation was 4-4-2 diamond according to transfermarkt. Who played the #10 role? Iwobi was in the pitch but was listed as one of the forwards, or maybe he dropped to the #10 role, so you have a point. What we had there was an Ndidi-Onazi-Iwobi(?) combo before Ogu came in for Onazi.

@bolded, that wasn't what I meant. My point was the the roles that he will be assigned to play in the midfield is determined by the players that are with him. For instance, in that game against Senegal, when Onazi was removed, then he started springing passes and performing other responsibilities that were expected from Onazi. It has to do with clear definition of roles in the midfield, and the role which he plays will to some extent determine the kind of attention he will get on the football pitch, unless he decides to perform other duties which was not primarily assigned to him.

Kog45:
I disagreed,Onazi almost had d same assist against Zambia with d presence of Mikel on d field.It took d intervention of Zambia CB to intercept d pass,it could have been our first goal,it was a weak pass for Ighalo.
It is still on the roles. You know that at that time that Onazi went forward to intercept that ball, Mikel withdrew deeper into the midfield to cover for Onazi, hence there was a fleeting exchange of roles. That is football.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:14am On Oct 26, 2017
you are on point.

blueto:

@bolded, that wasn't what I meant. My point was the the roles that he will be assigned to play in the midfield is determined by the players that are with him. For instance, in that game against Senegal, when Onazi was removed, then he started springing passes and performing other responsibilities that were expected from Onazi. It has to do with clear definition of roles in the midfield, and the role which he plays will to some extent determine the kind of attention he will get on the football pitch, unless he decides to perform other duties which was not primarily assigned to him.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:14am On Oct 26, 2017
ChrisKels:
Anybody seeing the match between Nwakali and Dessers? Both started and it's a cup game.

BTW, Onuachu with a headed assist in a cup game also against OB Odense
How good are those guys? Hope they're as good as you guys hype them and portray here.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:33am On Oct 26, 2017
Joebie:

Consider this example, I as a striker score 5 goals against a team that has a whack defense, I'm more likely to make the team of the week, than say Kayode who performed very well against a very strong opposition, but didn't score.

That's my point,rating does it irrespective of d opposition.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:41am On Oct 26, 2017
Kog45:
Mikel-Onazi limits Ndidi performance?also Mikel-Ndidi limits Onazi performance?

Then why are we always complaining that d removal of Mikel always destabilise d team rhythm.

Now u want Rohr to try Mikel--Ndidi-Iwobi and we still have Ndidi-Iwobi limits Mikel.

I don't think there should be excuse for non performance and so far Ndidi is doing well,super eagles is not Leicester city.

There is nothing like removal of one player give other room to perform better,football is not like that,u just have to be at your peak whenever you are on d field irrespective of who is in d team.

Mikel-Onazi-Ndidi is working for now coz d result is there for us to see,though good to feel Mikel-Ndidi-Iwobi combo.
I hear cranks in that Mikel - Onazi - Ndidi combo and this is not a criticism of any of the players mentioned but there's just something not well oiled about their combination. I'd love to see what Iwobi - Mikel - Ndidi would feel like. Ndidi /Ogu can sub Mikel and Etebo can sub Iwobi. Agbo/Agu can sub Onazi.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:52am On Oct 26, 2017
libero808:
Iheanacho's assist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMXMHU73VQE
Ighalo should come and learn
This was the goal he missed against Zambia.

This was the goal he missed against Zambia

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:02pm On Oct 26, 2017
Mujtahida:

I hear cranks in that Mikel - Onazi - Ndidi combo and this is not a criticism of any of the players mentioned but there's just something not well oiled about their combination. I'd love to see what Iwobi - Mikel - Ndidi would feel like. Ndidi /Ogu can sub Mikel and Etebo can sub Iwobi. Agbo/Agu can sub Onazi.
Rohr w not touch that combo for now coz they have not let him down.

Honestly i want to see Ndidi-Mikel-Iwobj and see how things goes in d midfield.

But so far Ndidi-Onazi-Mikel are doing well.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:27pm On Oct 26, 2017
Right.. Yes rating does it. And I don't necessarily have to be the better striker. When a player makes the team of the week, a number of times then there's got to be something special about that player -- indirectly, in the long run, the opposition factor comes into play.

Kog45:
That's my point,rating does it irrespective of d opposition.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:36pm On Oct 26, 2017
OWNGOALNIGERIA'S MISLEADING HEADLINE

Please disregard this headline story --No credible source or quotes.

NFF Chiefs To Rohr – Bring Back Martins, Obaboana Since You Want Enyeama Back
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:42pm On Oct 26, 2017
Joebie:

?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:47pm On Oct 26, 2017
Certitude:

Adenyuma still dey delay me...Saw you on d day of Pos 408 but left early...but u dey difficult to see o.
lol...yes o, I no dey too waka, so I scarce

Na Adeyunma you dey under? Eyah. Segun is under him too, you don submit proposal?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kalapizim(m): 12:53pm On Oct 26, 2017
permit me to share this story here.
So during the weekend I decided to go train with a grassroot football side in my neighborhood, I used to a top athlete who played football for my university and Nysc too.
coincidentally some scouts came watching and one of them approached me after the match and introduced himself and asked for my contact which I obliged him.
Fast forward to yesterday i received a call for him, I was glad thinking he wanted to offer me a job (I am seeking for one), but no ! he was offering to sign me up with a top club at Belgium(Name withheld) and said the stipulated age range was 16-19 years. I told him it was mouth watering but I couldn't agree to it because I am above the age bracket stipulated, to my surprise he said that wasn't an issue, and he had the resources to get me a new birth certificate and beat medical screenings (those arguing about MRI take note).
I refused and made it clear to him I will never be a party to such arrangements even if the system allows such. he man sha drop me 20k hoping I will change my mind grin
Age cheating is a cancer in every sector of the nation. public service, sports and alot more. I lost out of lucrative deal but feel proud at the end.
At least I get to sleep well at night grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:07pm On Oct 26, 2017
tbaba1234:
Muazzam's goal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wqJv7wQ0go&sns=tw
That's the kind of aggressive spirit I did love to see on display by forwards.
Another player would have simply given up given that the goalkeeper had already jumped to pick out the cross.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:09pm On Oct 26, 2017
Kalapizim:
So during the weekend I decided to go train with a grassroot football side in my neighborhood, I used to a top athlete who played football for my university and Nysc too.
coincidentally some scouts came watching and one of them approached me after the match and introduced himself and asked for my contact which I obliged him.
Fast forward to yesterday i received a call for him, I was glad thinking he wanted to offer me a job (I am seeking for one), but no ! he was offering to sign me up with a top club at Belgium(Name withheld) and said the stipulated age range was 16-19 years. I told him it was mouth watering but I couldn't agree to it because I am above the age bracket stipulated, to my surprise he said that wasn't an issue, and he had the resources to get me a new birth certificate and beat medical screenings (those arguing about MRI take note).
I refused and made it clear to him I will never be a party to such arrangements even if the system allows such. he man sha drop me 20k hoping I will change my mind grin
Age cheating is a cancer in every sector of the nation. public service, sports and alot more. I lost out of lucrative deal but feel proud at the end.

Seriously, reading things like this make me so sad. So much corruption in the land.

Everything is so easy to get. Birth certificate, passport, .. It is just ridiculous. Many clubs look for grassroot players instead of league players

If you are 18 and well developed, you will fail an MRI test. There might be other medical tests that they can get around thogh

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PROVERBZ(m): 1:10pm On Oct 26, 2017
Kalapizim:
hello please I am 18 years chak chak with birth certificate and I can pose as 15 and 16 because I look younger compared to the u17 playing currently

Please connect me I can send videos for the scout trials anything

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:12pm On Oct 26, 2017
PROVERBZ:
hello please I am 18 years chak chak with birth certificate and I can pose as 15 and 16 because I look younger compared to the u17 playing currently

Lol..

You are 18. Why do want to pose as 15??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 1:16pm On Oct 26, 2017
Joebie:

it's ars time we started bringing this junk sports site here angry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:19pm On Oct 26, 2017
tbaba1234:
Brian Idowu's goal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tICOLrui6L4&sns=tw
Everybody now just de score every where any how.
Mweeeeeee
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:25pm On Oct 26, 2017
Uzoho is not on the team for the cup game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kalapizim(m): 1:28pm On Oct 26, 2017
tbaba1234:

Seriously, reading things like this make me so sad. So much corruption in the land.

Everything is so easy to get. Birth certificate, passport, .. It is just ridiculous. Many clubs look for grassroot players instead of league players

If you are 18 and well developed, you will fail an MRI test. There might be other medical tests that they can get around thogh

its a very sad case, I just hope a genuine kid gets that opportunity.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PROVERBZ(m): 1:29pm On Oct 26, 2017
tbaba1234:

Lol..

You are 18. Why do want to pose as 15??

it would be more easier getting into the u15 than the u18
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kalapizim(m): 1:30pm On Oct 26, 2017
PROVERBZ:

then stay 18 brother. your opportunity will come.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kalapizim(m): 1:31pm On Oct 26, 2017
PROVERBZ:

then stay 18 brother. your opportunity will come..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:33pm On Oct 26, 2017
That was owngoalNigeria's headline.. No sources or quotes in the story. Some of us would like to run with it that way.

Kog45:
?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 1:36pm On Oct 26, 2017
safarigirl:
lol...yes o, I no dey too waka, so I scarce

Na Adeyunma you dey under? Eyah. Segun is under him too, you don submit proposal?
Na chapter one I still dey...I'm done with d correction but I heared he travelled... That man ehn.

(1) (2) (3) ... (1908) (1909) (1910) (1911) (1912) (1913) (1914) ... (16336) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: codemaniacs, Eawwal(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.