Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,949 members, 7,817,789 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:42 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1929) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11670085 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1926) (1927) (1928) (1929) (1930) (1931) (1932) ... (16151) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:29am On Oct 27, 2017
Mickael2:

Like I have said many times, the mark of a tactical coach is your ability to use what you have well.

Now you said no national team plays that way. Let's look at Germany, their '10' is Muller, I need not tell you that Muller is probably going to be the highest goalscorer in the history of the world cup before he retires and what does he do? Creative? No. He just picks up the pieces and it is successful. When Muller does not play or when they do not play with a true 9(like when Gotze plays), Muller moves in as the main CF but that's for later. The point here is that Muller is the perfect definition of an Alli-esque playing performing very well for the best national team presently.

Now I am not saying Etebo should be our 10, no. But you made it sound as if Etebo cannot fit into our 10 role, you said he did it well at U23, and he has only been tried once in that position in the senior team, why not give him more time

Firstly, Etebo is not in the class of Muller. In fact no Nigerian player is.

To your last paragraph, check my earlier comment: I said Etebo cannot be playing the number 10 position when we have Mikel and Iwobi in the team. Also that this is the senior level and not the U23.

We are talking about the FIFA world cup here.

And as I said before, the type system you play will go a long way in determining the type of 10 you'll field.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:30am On Oct 27, 2017
Mujtahida:

I no sabi maths ooo and that's why I avoid stats.I see that Ighalo has played twice the number of matches Martins has played, scored double the number too. Martins has more assists than him But how come Ighalo has played more matches than Martins. Are they not in the same league?

It may be due to the Chinese league rules that limit the number of foreigners in a team or due to injury.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:32am On Oct 27, 2017
Okay, when are we camping in Europe? He needs to meet Balogun. This is another Omidiji

terzurum5:
Operation Capture German Youth Internationals gringrin

EXCLUSIVE: Germany-based younsgter ready to play for Nigeria.

International Edition By: Ayodeji Tunde | 25/02/2017
www.nairaland.com/attachments/6166689_midhatjpg_jpeg183e34bc88f041c255b6796c79953eee

At 15 years old, Midhat Bajric is already carving a niche for himself in the round leather game, little wonder he has been nicknamed the new ‘David Alaba’.

Churning out a wonderful performance for the youth side of FC Nurnberg week-in-week-out, Bajric may just be the next big thing on Nigerian football scene as he is already one of the top-rated prospects in German youth football.

Already Nigeria football officials are said to be looking at the direction of Ademola Lookman at Everton and Chelsea loanee, Tammy Abraham

In this exclusive interview with .com from Germany, Midhat through his representative, Kennedy Chukwuodii opens up on his desire to don the Nigeria colours very soon even though he is eligible to play for as much as three other countries.

Excerpt.....

: Can you please tell us about yourself:

My name is MIDHAT BAJRIC, my father is a Croatian and my mother a German with a Nigerian father, possibly from Lagos. I am 15 years old. I started playing football when I was just 9. I was afraid of injury then, but my brother encouraged me to push even harder. It wasn't easy at first, so many young players like me and it has to be competitive. And the training becoming quite difficult at first but now I am very comfortable and enjoying it a lot.

There are reports that you are keen to play for Nigeria, what informed your interests and how has your parents reacted to your planned choice?

Yes, that has been my dream; I am white by skin but Nigerian inside. I am a Nigerian, I like to watch Nigeria football players, like Kelechi Iheanacho, John Obi Mikel, Ahmed Musa and others, so many of them. I want to say that I will be very proud to play for Nigeria and make Nigerians proud. My parents support my choice, though my parents are no more together but they still support my dream of playing for Nigeria. I want to visit Abuja, Lagos one day.

How much of Nigerian football do you know, and who are your role models?

I have been following Nigeria football, recently I watched them in Rio Brazil, I was so proud when they performed well. My role model is Kelechi Iheanacho, Victor Moses, John Obi Mikel and so many of them I can’t remember their names.

What target have you set for yourself... Are you keen to start with the age grade sides or you have a tall dream of giving the Super Eagles a shot?

I would mind starting with the big boys, it depends on where I am called to represent, but if I should be gambled to the senior team, I play the game of my life to pick a place and make the coach trust me. But if I am called to play in the junior team, why not? I can grow from there. But German football is very strong, we are given big training.

Does the likes of Leon Balogun who was raised in Germany and now doing well with Nigeria inspire you in any way?

Yes, Leon is a very good player, in FSV MAINZ, He is quite a strong player, I look at him and I think I have got a chance in the Nigeria team.

What’s your favourite position on the field?

I am a central defender, that has been my position and enjoy it so much. I look forward one day to wear green white green. Maybe they will invite me, I don't know but I am so crazy about it.

Thank you for your time and all the best

The pleasure was mine... Thank you very much.

http://.com/exclusive-germany-based-younsgter-ready-to-play-for-nigeria

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:36am On Oct 27, 2017
komekn:

GBAM !!! True word

There are many of the so called current future potentials that cannot achieve those stats. Indeed this could be peak of thier careers. Do people think if KC was to go to Chinese league that he would be the numero 1, I don't think so.

In my opinion the Chinese league is longer a moi moi league you have some if the best players in the world there.

You cannot say you have many if any top World class players in the Turkish, Belgium and Dutch leagues if the truth must be told.

They will still do the same with Ighalo, Iheanacho and Iwobi as soon as another future potentials are discovered prior to the 2022 World cup. They will tag dem great grandfafa. grin

Truth must be told and you just said it all.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Goke7: 11:38am On Oct 27, 2017
terzurum5:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6166689_midhatjpg_jpeg183e34bc88f041c255b6796c79953eee

At 15 years old, Midhat Bajric is already carving a niche for himself in the round leather game, little wonder he has been nicknamed the new ‘David Alaba’.

Churning out a wonderful performance for the youth side of FC Nurnberg week-in-week-out, Bajric may just be the next big thing on Nigerian football scene as he is already one of the top-rated prospects in German youth football.

Already Nigeria football officials are said to be looking at the direction of Ademola Lookman at Everton and Chelsea loanee, Tammy Abraham

In this exclusive interview with .com from Germany, Midhat through his representative, Kennedy Chukwuodii opens up on his desire to don the Nigeria colours very soon even though he is eligible to play for as much as three other countries.

Excerpt.....

My name is MIDHAT BAJRIC, my father is a Croatian and my mother a German with a Nigerian father, possibly from Lagos. I am 15 years old. I started playing football when I was just 9. I was afraid of injury then, but my brother encouraged me to push even harder. It wasn't easy at first, so many young players like me and it has to be competitive. And the training becoming quite difficult at first but now I am very comfortable and enjoying it a lot.

There are reports that you are keen to play for Nigeria, what informed your interests and how has your parents reacted to your planned choice?

Yes, that has been my dream; I am white by skin but Nigerian inside. I am a Nigerian, I like to watch Nigeria football players, like Kelechi Iheanacho, John Obi Mikel, Ahmed Musa and others, so many of them. I want to say that I will be very proud to play for Nigeria and make Nigerians proud. My parents support my choice, though my parents are no more together but they still support my dream of playing for Nigeria. I want to visit Abuja, Lagos one day.

I have been following Nigeria football, recently I watched them in Rio Brazil, I was so proud when they performed well. My role model is Kelechi Iheanacho, Victor Moses, John Obi Mikel and so many of them I can’t remember their names.

What target have you set for yourself... Are you keen to start with the age grade sides or you have a tall dream of giving the Super Eagles a shot?

I would mind starting with the big boys, it depends on where I am called to represent, but if I should be gambled to the senior team, I play the game of my life to pick a place and make the coach trust me. But if I am called to play in the junior team, why not? I can grow from there. But German football is very strong, we are given big training.

Does the likes of Leon Balogun who was raised in Germany and now doing well with Nigeria inspire you in any way?

Yes, Leon is a very good player, in FSV MAINZ, He is quite a strong player, I look at him and I think I have got a chance in the Nigeria team.

I am a central defender, that has been my position and enjoy it so much. I look forward one day to wear green white green. Maybe they will invite me, I don't know but I am so crazy about it.

na when we wan go world cup or win something all these small oyinbo children go dey talk say they wan play for Nigeria, as far as am concerned if they are really serious let them come and start playing for us against african sides that will break their leg first, then we can start taking them serious.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:42am On Oct 27, 2017
Joebie:
Just because somebody call for Martins, no mean say they believe in old legs. enough of the tagging. Forgiveness for example have always clamored for young players.. so just because he call martins that means say he is in #TeamOldLegs. Me i'm in #TeamPerformance oh.

so much talk about building for the future. The inclusion of Martins can never derail that. I'm not clamoring for Martins but why are we crying as if should Martins manage to make it to the mundial the career of the plethora of 21 year olds we have will end. In fact i'm impressed with the pool of players we have in that 18-22 age range oh.. And I must say so much can happen before Qatar 2022. Team building is a continuous process with a mix of young and old (that are relevant). And it should always be so. Show me 3 solid CFs today that are proven in SE shirt, then I will say forget Martins. But let's truth be told, even at his age many of these young kids can't match his recent stats. Well, but I will be fair, let them battle it in camp. Rohr will not accept bribes.

I totally agree with you on this. So, much can happen before 2022 Qatar World cup.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:47am On Oct 27, 2017
You made some some salient points, and I clicked like to it..However, on statistics, your mention as regards hitting the post, on target etc are quite irrelevant variables, as most times we don't go by those in our comparisons.. Considering goals and assists per time logged is very fair and good basis for comparison. Looking at the comparison though, I'm very impressed with Martins. The old leg matched our best CF at the moment.

And yes Kanu Nwankwo on SE shirt had poor stats. In reality also, most our memories of him was more on the club level and the under age categories.

MOD
stats do not tell the full story, but it tells the big story.

mank1234:

Statistically, Ighalo is better.
Take both to same terms:
Ighalo: 13 matches, 7.5 goals, 3 assist
Martins: 13 matches, 7 goals, 4 assist

If you're going by statistics alone, then Kanu Nwankwo was a flop for super eagles.

Statistics does not really tell true picture. An example, a very powerful short that hits the upright is counted as off target whereas a very feeble pass to the keeper is on target. A team with 70% more possession may actually have performed woefully if such possession was 80% in its own half.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:50am On Oct 27, 2017
komekn:

GBAM !!! True word

There are many of the so called current future potentials that cannot achieve those stats. Indeed this could be peak of thier careers. Do people think if KC was to go to Chinese league that he would be the numero 1, I don't think so.

In my opinion the Chinese league is longer a moi moi league you have some if the best players in the world there.

You cannot say you have many if any top World class players in the Turkish, Belgium and Dutch leagues if the truth must be told.
Kai Chinese league is no longer Moi Moi to komekn because Martins is there but Belgian, Dutch or Turkish na Moi Moi.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:51am On Oct 27, 2017
mank1234:

Statistically, Ighalo is better.
Take both to same terms:
Ighalo: 13 matches, 7.5 goals, 3 assist
Martins: 13 matches, 7 goals, 4 assist

If you're going by statistics alone, then Kanu Nwankwo was a flop for super eagles.

Statistics does not really tell true picture. An example, a very powerful short that hits the upright is counted as off target whereas a very feeble pass to the keeper is on target. A team with 70% more possession may actually have performed woefully if such possession was 80% in its own half.

How did you arrive at that conclusion?

However, statistics do matter most times. Looking at that statistics of both players they are par but when we consider other ingredients like talent wise, experience, fear factor, consistency over 5 years etc Martins Obafemi is better than Ighalo by far.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:54am On Oct 27, 2017
lol.. reporters ask questions, and they answer. These questions could have well been asked before the qualifiers.

Goke7:

na when we wan go world cup or win something all these small oyinbo children go dey talk say they wan play for Nigeria, as far as am concerned if they are really serious let them come and start playing for us against african sides that will break their leg first, then we can start taking them serious.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:55am On Oct 27, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

How sure are you?

Because you are not giving me the full picture of what transpired then hence my submission you are not sure about what happened during the 2010 WC.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:56am On Oct 27, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

Yes he is to some extent and Ighalo is a better performer in thesame Chinese league at the moment

How?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:06pm On Oct 27, 2017
junnyjake:

Mikel spent most of his time in Chelsea, I doubt he earned up to 100k weekly then.

Don't forget how harsh the tax system is in England, bulk of his pay would be going into tax. There might have been a decline since he obtained his British citizenship though.

Martins has been in the game even before Mikel, most of the countries he's played in, taxing is not as tough as England and that means more income, Mikel isn't earning much more than him presently in China.

Martins lives a more ostentatious lifestyle, so I might be deceived by what I'm seeing.

When it comes to endorsement, I don't really know.
Honestly i don't want to say much on this coz am not FORBES but i want to tell u starting football early does not determine richness.

Martins earned peanuts at Inter but started earning his mega buck when he move to England which is not upto 40k even in MLS,Spain,Germany,Russian,he didn't earn close to 70k.

On tax I want to tell u there is no European countries u go to u pay heavily for tax or d u want to talk of Spain tax even Germany.

If I may ask u,if UK tax is unfriendly do u think players w be going there for mega pay,though a lot might castigate d league but when it comes to pay pls forget it,EPL is number 1.

Mind u Mikel spent close to 11 years at Chelsea with his last contract earning close to 85k.

Do u know what pushed Martins out MLS,it was MLS salary cap.

In China Martins is on weekly £100k while Mikel £150k even Ighalo £190k

Thanks,u have said it,u are looking at his flamboyant life

It's like saying Emma Adebayour is richer than Drogba coz he always display his wealth for everyone to see.

I don't know know how true it is that Mikel left Chelsea with £2m package for his longevity.

Well,both Mikel and Martins are rich and as i said am not Forbes to tell u d richest.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:08pm On Oct 27, 2017
Icon4s:

I don't even know why this argument is coming up in the first place.

The era of Martins and his classmates is gone.
Its like we did not learn from the mistakes of having Rufai and Yekini at the 1998 WC.
Yekini was even in a better position to make the team than Martins is right now.

We have to move forward with the crop of Attackers we have.

Ighalo, Iheanacho, Nwakaeme, Kayode we have now. I have sadly dropped my case on Abraham.

Let's move on with these ones and any other strikers that may sparkle this season. And as usual we'll also depend on the abilities of our AMs and wingers for us to get goals.
@the bolded, I rest my case.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 12:11pm On Oct 27, 2017
Icon4s:

Firstly, Etebo is not in the class of Muller. In fact no Nigerian player is.

To your last paragraph, check my earlier comment: I said Etebo cannot be playing the number 10 position when we have Mikel and Iwobi in the team. Also that this is the senior level and not the U23.

We are talking about the FIFA world cup here.

And as I said before, the type system you play will go a long way in determining the type of 10 you'll field.

I am actually talking about the upcoming friendlies, the World Cup is a stretch for now and I think such a system would work well against any defence that decides to man-mark our players, nobody is going to be man-marking the AMF, you can only be assigned to check his runs and when the person you are marking starts moving you will forget the 'runs you were supposed to check', good ball, bang! He scores. Now let's put it this way, in all the matches that Etebo played as the AMF for U23 he scored goals, in the match he played as the AMF for the senior team, he got one very good chance that he would put away 9 times out of 10, so we can duly agree that Etebo as a 10=One good chance atleast(he had two chances in that SA game anyways, one he choose to shoot when Kayode was open, more from frustration than anything else). So if we can get one good chance per match from him as the AMF, I don't think it's an option we should overlook really.

I never said Etebo=Muller, I said Etebo's style=Muller's style
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:20pm On Oct 27, 2017
NIGERIA ALL TIME WORLD CUP SCORERS

2 goals each
1. Daniel Amokachi
2. Emmanuel Amuneke
3. Kalu Uche
4. Ahmed Musa

1 goal each
1. Rashidi Yekini
2. Samson Siasia
3. Finidi George
4. Mutiu Adepoju
5. Sunday Oliseh
6. Victor Ikpeba
7. Wilson Oruma
8. Tijani Babangida
9. Julius Aghahowa
10. Yakubu Aiyegbeni
11. Osaze Odemwingie

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:26pm On Oct 27, 2017
Mujtahida:

I wonder with his ability as touted by you why I should put him in Girona or Leicester. He should be there. Not me putting him there.

To be honest Girona can not afford Obagoal that's the truth. Leicester can not match the Chinese egho.

And as we know Obagoal deh follow money.

Finally, Obagoal has nothing to prove he has done it all in the best leagues in the world.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:30pm On Oct 27, 2017
FLASH BACK: LIST OF 30 PLAYERS PICKED BY MANU GARBA for the U17 AFCON 2013 qualifiers

These players had passed the MRI test

Haruna Garba Ibrahim, Mustapha Abdullahi, Adewale Adeyinka, Ifeanyi Mathew, Wilfred Ndidi, Musa Mohammed, Bernard Bulbwa, Success Isaac, Musa Yahya, David Micah, Kelechi Iheanacho, Dare Dede, Asadu Emmanuel, Alhassan Ibrahim Abdullahi, Akinjide Idowu, Izu Omego, Ali Baba Saliu, Itohowo David, Nafiu Bala, Friday Njengo, Ezekiel Emmanuel, Umar Ahmed, Onobun Innocent, Emmanuel Isa, Chidera Eze, Olumide Akufe, Aliyu Aliyu, Zaraddeen Bello, Adamu Abubakar, Wisdom Fernando

Modified
Today Uzoho is eying an SE spot in the expense of goalkeepers that were always ahead of him. That's life. No situation is permanent lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:30pm On Oct 27, 2017
Joebie:
NIGERIA ALL TIME WORLD CUP SCORERS

2 goals each
1. Daniel Amokachi
2. Emmanuel Amuneke
3. Kalu Uche
4. Ahmed Musa

1 goal each
1. Rashidi Yekini
2. Samson Siasia
3. Finidi George
4. Mutiu Adepoju
5. Sunday Oliseh
6. Victor Ikpeba
7. Wilson Oruma
8. Tijani Babangida
9. Julius Aghahowa
10. Yakubu Aiyegbeni
11. Osaze Odemwingie
Even our real CF are lacking behind, just Yekini,Yakubu,may be Aghaowa made d list with a goal each.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:31pm On Oct 27, 2017
komekn:

To be honest Girona can not afford Obagoal that's the truth. Leicester can not match the Chinese egho.

And as we know Obagoal deh follow money.

Finally, Obagoal has nothing to prove he has done it all in the best leagues in the world.
He should be in Madrid or Barca or PSG abi they cannot match his lust (na you talk am oo) for money.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 12:35pm On Oct 27, 2017
elyte89:

Martins football age 34-35years....real age. 42-43years old, dis guys u re comparing martins re using real age not a falsified one grin

for a 42 43 year old those statistics of his this season are impressive, some true 20 to 29 year olds are not postin such. Stop ridiculing ursef with the way u accuse and attack the age or our players. this guy has been playing topflight since 2004 give him some respects now 13 years on he is still doing it. remove 13 from 43 that means he started playing at the age of 30. wehdone sa.......

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 12:38pm On Oct 27, 2017
Icon4s:

I know Obafemi Martins very well.

He was one of my boys back then at the white sand training pitch, in Lagos.

He is not up to 40. Haba.

He graduated from Coker Secondary school, Orile Igamnu in 1997. That was 20 years ago. Add 20 to average secondary school graduating students age . That would give you an estimate of Martins' age.

thank u for this I v not seen ur comment before I quoted him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:39pm On Oct 27, 2017
Names of Rohr's assistants

Name Position

Gernot Rohr ‎ Technical Adviser

Salisu Yusuf Head Coach

DONT MISS ==> EXCLUSIVE: WEST HAM BEAT SOUTHAMPTON,LEICESTER CITY TO SIGNING OF AHMED MUSA
Jean Luc Royer Technical Assistant

Everson Ferreira Technical Assistant II

Nabil Trabelsi Video Analyst

Imama Amapakabo Assistant Coach

Alloysius Agu Goalkeeper Trainer

--OwnGoalNigeria
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:41pm On Oct 27, 2017
terzurum5:

Excerpt.....

He is very young, nevertheless, I think we should invite him for the U17.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:44pm On Oct 27, 2017
Mujtahida:

Kai Chinese league is no longer Moi Moi to komekn because Martins is there but Belgian, Dutch or Turkish na Moi Moi.

It would be immensely beneficial to you to move away from personal sentiment and sometimes prejudice. Consider the substance and objectivity of a contributory post and not be carried away with emotive prejudice.

I do not necessarily agree completely with some of these independent assessment irrespective of thier standing. However, they can be used as indicative insights if not exactly conclusive. See below for world league football rankings.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2691880-ranking-the-most-entertaining-leagues-in-world-football

So it's not my singular personal view. You could ask yourself how many world class players play in China and how many in the Dutch, Belguim and Turkish leagues as a competitive and quality indicator

I do not think even you would dispute the higher standing of the Chinese league in this regard.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:45pm On Oct 27, 2017
forgiveness:

They will still do the same with Ighalo, Iheanacho and Iwobi as soon as another future potentials are discovered prior to the 2022 World cup. They will tag dem great grandfafa. grin

Truth must be told and you just said it all.
lol....only Ighalo will be in his thirties by then and I can assure you that he has a 10% chance of still being in the fold by then, what with the rise of players like Dessers, Tammy, Awoniyi, Orji Okonkwo and co.

Kelechi and Iwobi will not be tagged grandpas as they will be around 26 at most by then....they will be in a similar position as Mikel was in 2014. They will certainly be nowhere near 30 and as long as they remain within the fold till then, they will be the ones doing the initiation Onazi is currently in charge of.

So, I disagree with your false assertion

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 12:52pm On Oct 27, 2017
Joebie:
You made some some salient points, and I clicked like to it..However, on statistics, your mention as regards hitting the post, on target etc are quite irrelevant variables, as most times we don't go by those in our comparisons.. Considering goals and assists per time logged is very fair and good basis for comparison. Looking at the comparison though, I'm very impressed with Martins. The old leg matched our best CF at the moment.

And yes Kanu Nwankwo on SE shirt had poor stats. In reality also, most our memories of him was more on the club level and the under age categories.

MOD
stats do not tell the full story, but it tells the big story.

It does tell the big picture but sometimes it can be flawed. CR7 once said that Messi is winning ahead of him because of the quality of his teammates. He once also said that Messi's goals are mostly from penalties. Though both points are contestable with regards to both players, you cannot rule out teammates effect, quality of goals, etc when comparing players. Without watching their respective games and analysing same, you did be making an awfully wrong decision, if you're to go by goals scored and assist alone.

In conclusion, the stats he used are good in itself but not an end in itself.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:52pm On Oct 27, 2017
Komekn, The argument for martins is a recurring decimal. We argued for Martins under Keshi. He was invited but could not justify his invitation on the pitch. Martins has not scored since July so he is in bit of a drought. His present form does not justify an invite. However, he is a Nigerian and can be given a shot.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:53pm On Oct 27, 2017
Joebie:
lol.. reporters ask questions, and they answer. These questions could have well been asked before the qualifiers.

that interview was dated February of this year, we had only played two games then....the boy genuinely wants to play for Nigeria, it's not the allure of the World Cup

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:56pm On Oct 27, 2017
komekn:

It would be immensely beneficial to you to move away from personal sentiment and sometimes prejudice. Consider the substance and objectivity of a contributory post and not be carried away with emotive prejudice.

I do not necessarily agree completely with some of these independent assessment irrespective of thier standing. However, they can be used as indicative insights if not exactly conclusive. See below for world league football rankings.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2691880-ranking-the-most-entertaining-leagues-in-world-football

So it's not my singular personal view. You could ask yourself how many world class players play in China and how many in the Dutch, Belguim and Turkish leagues as a competitive and quality indicator

I do not think even you would dispute the higher standing of the Chinese league in this regard.
Days ago you wrote about something and then took refuge in the hall of sentiments. I am not a stick or a robot. On this thread I try to be as objective as possible but on this one let me indulge in sentiments. Martins' era like that of Ik Uche, Osaze etc is gone. I have said bye bye to them. If you want to say welcome to them, fine.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 12:56pm On Oct 27, 2017
Joebie:
The summary of your post here suggest that Martins as usual would flop as club form is not same as national team form. So let's move on and forget him. His time is gone.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:58pm On Oct 27, 2017
Goke7:

first off, that interview is dated February, 2017. It has been on this thread earlier this year sef. As at that time, we had only won two games. Hardly a reason to tag him an opportunist

Secondly, the boy is just 15, do you really think he's dreaming of a chance to feature in the 2018 World Cup? undecided

Call him up first, even if it's for the age grade competitions, then we'll see what happens

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1926) (1927) (1928) (1929) (1930) (1931) (1932) ... (16151) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: yemyke001(m), jolly94, damagnificentusb(m), Princezibk, Lyster360, daveP(m), elyte89 and 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.