Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,808 members, 7,817,346 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2004) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11666051 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) ... (16151) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 3:11pm On Nov 03, 2017
nelszx:

You mean this grin
It looks like Megatron cheesy
wacky raised to power 10
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 3:19pm On Nov 03, 2017
kennysville:

Seriously, I have a question for ya. Did Aluko directly tell you what really transpired or you read it from the pages of newspapers and then drew your conclusions?..... just asking.... Dasol

Three perspectives let's say you know an agent and he tells you something.

Let's say the player tells you something.

Then you decide to dig a bit deep because let's say you know one or two people in the NFF.

After all of that you can draw some conclusions.

If I did all if that I would never ever say. But there are those in this forum who also know. What went on and what is continously going on.

Very rarely what I say here do I get from pages of newspapers.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:21pm On Nov 03, 2017
Kog45:
My point is to let guys knows that there is no victimisation against any tribes when it comes to national team invitation.

On Chris Ohenhen, I want to tell you that Ohenhen deserve a place in US 94 squad better than Victor Ikpeba and Efan Ekoku at that time but was not even giving a look in the team.

Godwin Opara deserve invitation prior to US 94 but was not even considered, apart from Chidi Nwanu doing well in Europe,Godwin was next and i believe he should have taken the place of Uche Okafor in the team.Did you know after US 94 this guy was still denied until he voiced out.I disagreed that he did not replicate his club form in the national team cos he was not even giving the chance.When he got the chance he made France 98 team.

Karibe Ojigwe suppose to be in the team post US 94 but what we are hearing was Garba Lawal was playing to instructions but glaring Ojigwe was better cos he was doing it week in week out in bundesliga.

Chris Ohenhen's competition was Siasia, Yekini, Amokachi, Efan Ekoku. Victor Ikpeba was very versatile across the forward line. Left, right or center. The only person he could have replaced was Efan Ekoku. Sometimes, it just comes to the coach's preference.

Was Opara better than Okafor? I don't know about that. I remember Okafor and Okechukwu had a very good partnership. Opara played a lot under Troussier, he was not always great.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 3:26pm On Nov 03, 2017
forgiveness:

Shola going to the world cup was corruption.
I only asked a question with a Yes or no answer

Twas as simple as that not this long turenchi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:36pm On Nov 03, 2017
forgiveness:

When did the National team became an academy for discovering talent?

Chidiebere Nwakali is an epitomy of every tom dick and Harry.

We don't need promising talent in an obscure leagues in the national team.

What promise did he show in lowly Norwegian league that is deserving to get a call?

We have better players than Chidiebere Nwakali in that role in better league. Don't tell me you're blind to the truth.

You do not know if we have better players than Chidiebere Nwakali. That is your emotions talking. It takes careful analysis to sight promising players who have he potential of making big impacts.

After that, you look in closely. I highlighted Awaziem before who was on the bench but Rohr and his crew identified his talent after careful analysis. Brought him to camp, after close study, believed they have found a quality player.

Nigeria is not Germany where you can leave most of the scouting and discovery works to the clubs.

The crew have identified Chidiebere Nwakali. Let them get to work.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tglobal(m): 3:37pm On Nov 03, 2017
forgiveness:

From what I deduced from this is that few individuals have personal interest in the super eagles and at the same time there is personal vendetta against some set of players by these few individuals which as result, is at the detriment of National interest.

Can you please explain what played out against these set of players that didn't get invitation to the national team as at that moments they played for bigger clubs or in a better league?

Why was Gbenga Okunowo never invited to the national team during his time at Barcelona despite been part of the team that won the league that year?

Why was Lukeman Haruna ignored for two sessons during his time at Monaco? We know he was called for a friendly which he only played for 12 minutes. The world cup he went to was due to the injury mikel substained else he for no smell am(arrange thing). Why was he still ignored after the world cup despite helping Monaco to get to the final of Coupe de france? Why was he ignored despite playing regular with a top club like Dynamo Kyve that was regular in champions league and Europa league for 3 good seasons?

Why was Some aluko never invited when he was obviously the best player for Rangers in the Scottish League? With all his exploit he has not been capped for more than 5 times.

Time will not permit me to to mention all the players they allowed to fizzle out for players like Chidiebere Nwakali.

Please kindly explain. Thanks

Had to jump in on Gbenga Okunowo to make the records straight, because you have mentioned his name a couple of times.

Gbenga Okunowo was in Barcelona's first team for only one season (1998-1999).and in this period, the Nigeria played only one competitive match, which was a CAN qualifier against Burundi in Abeokuta. This was an era, when the only top grade matches we played were qualifiers. The only other match in that period was the 5-nil loss to Catalonia. Yes Gbenga was not called up for either of this matches.

However, he was in the flying eagles squad for Nigeria 99 (while still in Barca). In the second half of that year, when he had gone to Benfica, the SE managed to play two friendly matches (Ghana and CDR) which were prosecuted with home based players.

1999 Summary:
Matches played by SE: 1
Matches Okunowo was not invited: 1

The scorecard doesn't show that he was shunned while in Barca.

Going forward, Gbenga was the first choice RB (had Jersey number 2), going into CAN 2000, where he started in 3 of the matches and came in as a substitute in the other two. He was already on loan to Benfica at this time. He was also a part of the Dream Team that year as well and featured in our matches in Sydney.

Again, I stepped in to correct a misrepresentation about Okunowo, because this is not the first time you are raising the issue of his exclusion from the SE. The facts on ground suggest otherwise

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 3:46pm On Nov 03, 2017
tglobal:

Had to jump in on Gbenga Okunowo to make the records straight, because you have mentioned his name a couple of times.

Gbenga Okunowo was in Barcelona's first team for only one season (1998-1999).and in this period, the Nigeria played only one competitive match, which was a CAN qualifier against Burundi in Abeokuta. This was an era, when the only top grade matches we played were qualifiers. The only other match in that period was the 5-nil loss to Catalonia. Yes Gbenga was not called up for either of this matches.

However, he was in the flying eagles squad for Nigeria 99 (while still in Barca). In the second half of that year, when he had gone to Benfica, the SE managed to play two friendly matches (Ghana and CDR) which were prosecuted with home based players.

1999 Summary:
Matches played by SE: 1
Matches Okunowo was not invited: 1

The scorecard doesn't show that he was shunned while in Barca.

Going forward, Gbenga was the first choice RB (had Jersey number 2), going into CAN 2000, where he started in 3 of the matches and came in as a substitute in the other two. He was already on loan to Benfica at this time. He was also a part of the Dream Team that year as well and featured in our matches in Sydney.

Again, I stepped in to correct a misrepresentation about Okunowo, because this is not the first time you are raising the issue of his exclusion from the SE. The facts on ground suggest otherwise

i doubt he even knows the players

probably someone gave him that and he began running with it without caring to find out if the assertions were indeed true

thanks for clearing the air

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 3:55pm On Nov 03, 2017
goldfish80:

Success is determined by alot of factors. Opportunity, luck or devine breakthrough like se will say.

You have eloquently narrated how Fred Onyema would have signed for Arsenal but somehow fate have him stuck in Millwall. This is exactly what some guys here have been trying to explain to you why Awoniyi found himself hawked around Belgium and Holland instead of developing at Liverpool. This is exactly the same reason why Nwakali is at Venlo instead of Arsenal.

I personally feel Obinna Nwobodo would have been one of the most highly rated youngsters if he was born in Europe.

In all honesty it is IMPOSSIBLE TO PREDICT.

Where you start is irrelevant sometimes it is how you progress.

If Dele Alli had gone to Arsenal or Tottenham he would not have progressed the same way. He may not have progressed at all.

He went to lowly MK Dons and was the stand out player in the entire division. Jordan Ibe was released from Charlton Athletic at age 12 or thereabouts went to Wycombe Wanderers a supposed step down at 15 played first team and Liverpool bought him for £1 million pounds at 16.

I know a player that was transported from North America to Liverpool Fc. A whole family package house, school everything arranged and money spent. One year later he was released for nothing.

What I am saying it's possible that Nwakali could go to Arsenal and completely flop or blow. He could get injured or find he is not good enough. Consider top players from La Liga and other leagues have flopped in the EPL. Nothing absolutely nothing is guaranteed.

Francisco Junior left Portugal as a top player from Benfica. City wanted him the cream of the EPL he chose a blood and guts team that doesn't play good technical football in the name of Everton.

Yes, he signed a long contract near 4 years at the time getting paid almost £10k a week from peanuts at Benfica. Well he didn't make it he is now playing in the backwaters of the Nordic leagues.

The flip side is when you go for the top clubs you can find yourself dropping like lead all the way to the bottom in non league.

But we haven't heard the last of Fred Onyedinma it just takes him to get one break with a good technically forward thinking manager and he can just blow. He could become bigger than Iwobi that's football.

Kienan Davis (19 years old) Aston Villa was playing non league after being released by Stevenage if I'm right at 16. He was told he was rubbish. From non league he has come into Villa and benched Million ££ players. Now Everton and Man U are looking for him.

My dream for Nigeria is to set up a proper scouting network in England and from non league to EPL look for the best players. Because the vast pool of available Nigeria origin players in the UK is unparalleled outside of Nigeria. Players not on the radar of the English FA. I can assure you there are other Tega Abrahams that have not been unearthed. Ademola Lookman came from Sunday football just over three years ago.

However, because of our nature and the vast number of players subjective selection has to be ruled out. A clear cut balance score card merit system used to select players based on performance and ability. Which in itself is intrinsically linked to the quality of league and club you are playing in.

That's why you might score 30 goals in Turkey but struggle badly in La Liga, EPL and the Bundesliga but struggle to score 5 in a better league.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 3:59pm On Nov 03, 2017
Orkpekyandega:

How far have you gone about your article on how to raise revenue for football development inNigeria?

The idea is there, the framework ready.
However, the most challenging part of the project is data collection. Its unfortunate we aren't good book keepers in this part of the world. I believe I will find a way around this challenge very soon.
The final part of the journey will be to get an audience with the minister of Sports. I've made a step towards that and promises have been made.

The second quarter of 2018 will be a realistic time for everything to come together,hopefully.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:00pm On Nov 03, 2017
safarigirl:
this is irrelevant to the entire point.

Whether he found out via the news on TV or a WhatsApp broadcast message, he is still going to play for England
Tammy is in love with you safarigirl and not even your offishness can put him off. He sends his love.

By the way where's do4luv14? I just remembered while typing this
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:02pm On Nov 03, 2017
komekn:

If Dele Alli had gone to Arsenal or Tottenham he would not have progressed the same way. He may not have progressed at all.

He went to lowly MK Dons and was the stand out player in the entire division. Jordan Ibe was released from Charlton Athletic at age 12 or thereabouts went to Wycombe Wanderers a supposed step down at 15 played first team and Liverpool bought him for £1 million pounds at 16.

I know a player that was transported from North America to Liverpool Fc. A whole family package house, school everything arranged and money spent. One year later he was released for nothing.

What I am saying it's possible that Nwakali could go to Arsenal and completely flop or blow. He could get injured or find he is not good enough. Consider top players from La Liga and other leagues have flopped in the EPL. Nothing absolutely nothing is guaranteed.

Francisco Junior left Portugal as a top player from Benfica. City wanted him the cream of the EPL he chose a blood and guts team that doesn't play good technical football in the name of Everton.

Yes, he signed a long contract near 4 years at the time getting paid almost £10k a week from peanuts at Benfica. Well he didn't make it he is now playing in the backwaters of the Nordic leagues.

The flip side is when you go for the top clubs you can find yourself dropping like lead all the way to the bottom in non league.

But we haven't heard the last of Fred Onyedinma it just takes him to get one break with a good technically forward thinking manager and he can just blow. He could become bigger than Iwobi that's football.

Kienan Davis (19 years old) Aston Villa was playing non league after being released by Stevenage if I'm right at 16. He was told he was rubbish. From non league he has come into Villa and benched Million ££ players. Now Everton and Man U are looking for him.

My dream for Nigeria is to set up a proper scouting network in England and from non league to EPL look for the best players. Because the vast pool of available Nigeria origin players in the UK is unparalleled outside of Nigeria. Players not on the radar of the English FA. I can assure you there are other Tega Abrahams that have not been unearthed. Ademola Lookman came from Sunday football just over three years ago.

However, because of our nature and the vast number of players subjective selection has to be ruled out. A clear cut balance score card merit system used to select players based on performance and ability. Which in itself is intrinsically linked to the quality of league and club you are playing in.

That's why you might score 30 goals in Turkey but struggle badly in La Liga, EPL and the Bundesliga but struggle to score 5 in a better league.

What are your thoughts on Ebere Eze?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:09pm On Nov 03, 2017
Chrismario:

You re trying so hard to explain why nff should invite onyedimma but fall deaf ears to that Nwakali.
You re referencing his 17 ish heroics as we did about Nwakali's 17.
He's not a sure starter at millwall at the moment.

Nwakali's invitation may lack objectivity but onyedimma has done nothing exceptional other than wearing #10

Your proposition stands on naked blatant prejudice.

Fred Onyedinma is 20 years old has played 140 games in the championship and league 1. That's an experienced outstanding professional.

At the age of 17 he was winning MOTM awards a player who chose to show sentimental loyalty and turned down a move to Watford in the EPL to stay at Millwall.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:12pm On Nov 03, 2017
tbaba1234:

What are your thoughts on Ebere Eze?

Good player showing promise needs a full season of continous football to show his quality and develop.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 4:12pm On Nov 03, 2017
Who's gonna replace Ighalo abeg??

I hope they call up Dessers.. Unless Rohr and the NFF are waiting for him to move to a bigger team and start making the headlines in Europe before they consider him worthy for the national team.

That's how we lost talented foreign born sportsmen who are willing to represent us and instead go after the likes of Tammy,Ibe Onuoha and Sidney Sam

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:14pm On Nov 03, 2017
Danielnino00:
Who's gonna replace Ighalo abeg??

I hope they call up Dessers.. Unless Rohr and the NFF are waiting for him to move to a bigger team and start making the headlines in Europe before they consider him worthy for the national team.

That's how we lost talented foreign born sportsmen who are willing to represent us and instead go after the likes of Tammy,Ibe Onuoha and Sidney Sam

No replacement
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Abusule007: 4:16pm On Nov 03, 2017
Dedebanky85:
To plain abeg. Adidas can do better. See what Puma gave Cameroon thats not going to WC. Very nice! From Africa, CMR and Mali always have Gucci designer type jerseys. Hope Nike gives Naija better outfit

Presently, I think Nike offers the finest jerseys. I think they would give us something mind blowing for the world Cup. To me, puma no sabi anything. Check out Ghana Jersey, it looks like native attire.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:19pm On Nov 03, 2017
nelszx:

You mean this grin
It looks like Megatron cheesy
You bad ooo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:23pm On Nov 03, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

You do not know if we have better players than Chidiebere Nwakali. That is your emotions talking. It takes careful analysis to sight promising players who have he potential of making big impacts.

After that, you look in closely. I highlighted Awaziem before who was on the bench but Rohr and his crew identified his talent after careful analysis. Brought him to camp, after close study, believed they have found a quality player.

Nigeria is not Germany where you can leave most of the scouting and discovery works to the clubs.

The crew have identified Chidiebere Nwakali
. Let them get to work.

Who is this faceless crew , what's it make up what are thier knowledge and experiential competencies What give them far reaching better insight than all the club scouting networks across Europe

They are human beings what gives them far better insight than anybody else.

Who are they that will explain most things when we know who they are.

I am by obvious rational observation certain that Rohr didn't specifically decide to bypass 29 superior leagues and go into the waste basket to find gold.

So he would have been recommended by the esteemed faceless unquestionable CREW.

I have nothing to say beyond that is it REASONABLE considering the principle of the reasonable man Eeeee no make sense.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:35pm On Nov 03, 2017
komekn:

Who is this faceless crew , what's it make up what are thier knowledge and experiential competencies What give them far reaching better insight than all the club scouting networks across Europe

I am by obvious rational observation certain that Rohr didn't specifically decide to bypass 29 superior leagues and go into the waste basket to find gold.

I have nothing to say beyond that is it REASONABLE considering the principle of the reasonable man Eeeee no make sense.
No need stretching this issue. Nwakali has been invited and it's possible that it's his elder brother who pulled the strings as per his reported statement on www.allnigeriasoccer.com. No yawa about that. The burden now rests on the young man. He must perform.
You don't want to hear performance because to you the mode of his invitation was 'irregular'. But you fail to realise that (1)theres nothing irregular about his invite because I don't think the NFF has a 'regular' set standard that guides the invitation of players. 2)football is a performance sport. As fans our main concern is performance. If the young man performs well, komekn forget it, fans will embrace him irrespective of the grade of league he plays for, how he got invited. If he does not perform he falls aside. Seriously I don't think his invitation is an issue.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 4:39pm On Nov 03, 2017
Abusule007:

Presently, I think Nike offers the finest jerseys. I think they would give us something mind blowing for the world Cup. To me, puma no sabi anything. Check out Ghana Jersey, it looks like native attire.

hahahahahahaha native attire bawo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 5:12pm On Nov 03, 2017
Abusule007:

I wonder why Puma Jersey of African teams are always tight..

As for Ghana,their jersey design no be here.. cheesy cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by PDPGuy: 5:30pm On Nov 03, 2017
That Argentina team list is packed full of attacking talent, but their midfield doesn’t strike fear in me. It’s very much a winnable game for the Super eagles in two weeks time.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Orkpekyandega(m): 5:33pm On Nov 03, 2017
goldfish80:

The idea is there, the framework ready.
However, the most challenging part of the project is data collection. Its unfortunate we aren't good book keepers in this part of the world. I believe I will find a way around this challenge very soon.
The final part of the journey will be to get an audience with the minister of Sports. I've made a step towards that and promises have been made.

The second quarter of 2018 will be a realistic time for everything to come together,hopefully.
Good we are waiting.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:35pm On Nov 03, 2017
komekn:

I have read lots of your write up to know the limitations to your understanding of the game and I bet that Rohr's crew will make a mockery of your understanding of the game. Apart from saying you talk to agents or players, you carried players to club or top league, there is no critical insights in your analysis on the difference in quality of players.

Rohr's crew and scouting network is light years ahead of your understanding. You can continue crying a river or allow us in peace if you have nothing else to add.

I agree Nwakali is in a low league but just like Shehu Abdullahi, it does not mean he is not quality.

Finito.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:37pm On Nov 03, 2017
komekn:

Who are they? Who are they?

This shows that you do not know them but yet you want to argue for Jupiter. Argue what you know. Finito.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 5:38pm On Nov 03, 2017
komekn:

Fred Onyema made an error in decision to stay put at Millwall, that is if he really had good offers from decent premiership clubs. His decision to stay put in Millwall could be akin to playing Russian roulette.
There's no guarantee that he will rip the league apart. Even if he became big in League one, nothing guarantees that he could get a look in by Premiership teams. The big boys hardly go fishing in league one bar a couple or exceptions.
The step up from league one/ championship to the Premiership is too high for most players to come to terms with. Anthony Knockert, the championship player of the season have been struggling to adapt to life in the Premiership.

On your last paragraph, I think league comparison with respect to goals scored can be relative. Football is not mathematics. A player can score 20+goals in the Premiership but struggle to scored 10 in Turkey. Robin Van Persie scored 30 for Man Utd but hardly got 10 for Fenerbache.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:39pm On Nov 03, 2017
Mujtahida:

No need stretching this issue. Nwakali has been invited and one can infer that it's his elder brother who pulled the strings. No yawa about that. The burden now rests on the young man. He must perform.
You don't want to hear performance because to you the mode of his invitation was 'irregular'. But you fail to realise that (1)theres nothing irregular about his invite because nothing is the regular way against which irregularities come to light 2)football is a performance sport. As fans our main concern is performance. If the young man performs well, komekn forget it, fans will embrace him irrespective of the grade of league he plays for, how he got invited. If he does not perform he falls aside. Seriously I don't think his invitation is an issue.

Story.

What hinted you that the elder brother pulled the strings? Please, I am interested.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:42pm On Nov 03, 2017
komekn:

You would never have picked or believed in the quality of Shehu Abdullahi or Awaziem. Rohr's crew accurately got that right. That is enough to show the Gulf in class.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:55pm On Nov 03, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Story.

What hinted you that the elder brother pulled the strings? Please, I am interested.
I will modify it by saying that it's possible that it is his elder brother that pulled the strings for his invite. I am making inference. Not stating it as an absolute fact.
Google C. Nwakali invitation, well deserved. Read the article on ans.com
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel27: 6:04pm On Nov 03, 2017
goldfish80:

Fred Onyema made an error in decision to stay put at Millwall, that is if he really had good offers from decent premiership clubs. His decision to stay put in Millwall could be akin to playing Russian roulette.
There's no guarantee that he will rip the league apart. Even if he became big in League one, nothing guarantees that he could get a look in by Premiership teams. The big boys hardly go fishing in league one bar a couple or exceptions.
The step up from league one/ championship to the Premiership is too high for most players to come to terms with. Anthony Knockert, the championship player of the season have been struggling to adapt to life in the Premiership.

On your last paragraph, I think league comparison with respect to goals scored can be relative. Football is not mathematics. A player can score 20+goals in the Premiership but struggle to scored 10 in Turkey. Robin Van Persie scored 30 for Man Utd but hardly got 10 for Fenerbache.

A million likes for this, bro. The amount of goals a player scores in a season is determined by a lot of variables including team tactics and coach's philosophy, quality or suitability of team mates in support, age, form e.t.c.
This said, Ronaldo may struggle to get 10 goals in a season if he moves back to the EPL. It's all about player's compatibility with the team's playing pattern and philosophy.
Yakubu was scoring freely in a top flight EPL club but he flopped at the WC. He simply didn't fit in!
So, if Rohr thinks any player will suit his pattern and philosophy, let him be invited.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by aodis: 6:05pm On Nov 03, 2017
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:21pm On Nov 03, 2017
komekn:

please who are the players you've recommend in his place?
please don't give me names of those English players......
if you dont have any young Defensive Midfielder who can take his place....and is a fully eligible to play for us...
please let this matter rest...I don't think you will like my next response....if you keep degrading our players for those Queen's kids.....

please let's leave this matter....to rest.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2001) (2002) (2003) (2004) (2005) (2006) (2007) ... (16151) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Tessyy1701, Longneck, 123jamessmith, opes and 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.