Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,886 members, 7,817,611 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:28 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2026) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11668231 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2023) (2024) (2025) (2026) (2027) (2028) (2029) ... (16151) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 4:52pm On Nov 06, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Read this and get the true picture. We do not need anyone engaging these players to play for us. To me, it is similar to begging. We want those who dream of playing for us.

That last paragraph is an expansion of the approach will real conviction. Finito.
That's why I said you are ignorant and insensitive if you maintain your line that we do not need anyone engaging these players to play for us and I am repeating it again.
This stance of yours is one that riles and disturbs me. Sincerely.

Now I know that some of us here were co-opted into a WhatsApp group. Just this last Saturday, the story of a 22 year old Greek basketball player who is well on his way to becoming a great, even greater than Hakeem Olajuwon - in basketball was posted. His name is Giannis Antetokuonmpo also known as the Greek freak. The interesting thing is that Giannis only became a Greek Citizen two years ago. Giannis parents, Charles and Veronica are Nigerians who immigrated to Greece in the early 90's and gave birth to Giannis and his brothers there.

Now here's the point I like to make that stresses your ignorance: in the course of discussion on the group regarding Giannis, many were wowed and some were like why didn't he play for Nigeria. That was when one of the posters said he(as in the poster) has met Giannis who would have played for Nigeria but that Greece had fast tracked his switch of nationality and he (the poster) went on to state that there are many Nigerians abroad in Australia, Germany, Italy whose parents routinely ask him how they'd get their children to represent Nigeria. He talked about how he met some good basketballers of Nigerian descent in Germany and a swimmer in tanzania whose Dad was/is Nigerian. The 'how' is a problem that rapport and engagement can solve. And that is precisely komekn's suggestion which you oppose for no good reason whatsoever. How - for you - rapprochement and engagement equates to begging is a mystery to me.

There are talented athletes, basketballers, swimmers, footballers of Nigerian descent all over the world cut off completely from how we do things here but whose heart is still at home with us because of the blood that flows in their veins.

Now komekn spoke in the broad context of engagement and rapport with footballers in EUROPE and you say that we do not need anyone to engage these players to play for us. How ignorant can one be more than this again, how insensitive? If you do not engage them and create rapport, how do you know who will agree to play for us and who will not?and since its not by force, anyone that declines the honour, we by pass such a person or still try and persuade them some more. In your mind they should just cross over and say 'heyyyy Nigeria, here I am. I want to play for you' . Na so e easy?

Because Tammy has bounced us, we are hurt. But not everyone of them is Tammy. It was Rohr who convinced Ebuehi to play for us, Rohr convinced Dessers to play for us, it is Rohr who has been making contact with Torunarigha, Uduokhai and Akpoguma on our behalf. Would it not have been better if we have designated persons, passionate Nigerians, who understand Nigeria and also the foreign country to engage these players on our behalf once it is ascertained that they are talented? Would it not be good to have a formal structure of engagement through which parents whose kids desire to represent Nigeria find it easy to register their interest? Na Rohr wey be Oyibo man dey engage players and talk them to represent your fatherland for you! Shame on you!!

Guy you dey fall hand abeg with this narrow mindedness. I don't want to talk politics but this is precisely the same mindset that prevents rapprochement and understanding across socio-cultural and political divides in this country. Everybody sits in his own enclave and speaks from that narrow perspective without trying to understand the view point of the other man, of the other ethnic group, culture or religion. It infuriates me. It makes me mad when I encounter narrow mindedness. Joebie knows.

Imagine if a Nigerian born and brought up in the UK talks dismissively about the problems we encounter in Nigeria in a manner that shows he lacks an understanding of our challenges, I'd take that person on if I have the opportunity. Indeed I was happy when safarigirl questioned and challenged komekn regarding his understanding of the plight our players in Nigeria face when they go abroad to ply their trade. You are in Nigeria talking about people in the UK yet you have no inkling what it feels like for them regarding such issues as playing for Nigeria. For you it's a simple matter. No, my brother, it's not so simple when you leave them in a vacuum to make that decision. The only thing that makes that decision simple is relationship built through engagement and rapprochement. Gerrit?

15 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:52pm On Nov 06, 2017
Good news. I hope he gets enough game time in the NPFL

Danycrusoe:
Keeping up with the players from the 2013 and 2015 sets of youth internationals

Mustapha Abdullahi Yautai joins Wikki Tourists Football Club of Bauchi ahead of the new Nigeria Professional Football League 2017/2018 season.

Safarigirl, thegoodjoe and icon4s please is he the one u used to call picture abi camera boy? Always present in every camp pictures bk then.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:55pm On Nov 06, 2017
Joebie:
I asked you to name who should have been called up instead. It took you a while before you mentioned Lawal. If I actually did claim so, where and when did you refute that claim?
And how is that even a diversion if I actually did make that claim? -- 2 things unrelated.

I've said Nwakali has been on the headlines. I have not seen or noticed any with Lawal lately. Secondly, I never said that's the reason why he was invited over the others. Don't put words into my mouth.
My point is you make it seem Lawal is clearly ahead of Nwakali. Besides your youtube video you posted of him from last season, your case is weak.

Modified
The next thing, you are going to tell me about how leagues are rated in Europe lol

Joebie:
So all this complaining by forgiveness as regards Nwakali. It was actually Lawal he had he mind when he accused me of lying after I mentioned 3 names that came to my mind. Oga forgiveness, I've not been keeping tabs on Lawal like you have. Not like he's been making headlines anyway. I wish I could read your mind to determine your Super Eagles best XI. Actually, I think I know what it would look like.

@bolded

According to the second out bolded. If Raheem Lawal was in my mind then why should it take me a while before mentioning Lawal? shocked
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:59pm On Nov 06, 2017
Gbam!
World view is what many of us lack. We only speak with one localized mindset. People expect these people to think the Nigerian way, do things the Nigerian way etc although they are brought up in a whole different system. Very unrealistic.
let people who understand these things with a broad perspective be the ones to interface between Nigeria and the players in question.
Pinnick though knowing a player's father will do the magic. UK na Nigeria?

Mujtahida:

That's why I said you are ignorant and insensitive if you maintain your line that we do not need anyone engaging these players to play for us and I am repeating it again.
This stance of yours is one that riles me. Sincerely.
Now I know that some of us here were co-opted into a WhatsApp group. Just this Saturday, the name and story of a 22 year old Greek basketball player who is well on his way to becoming a great, even greater than Hakeem Olajuwon - in basketball was posted. His name is Giannis Antetokuonmpo also known as the Greek freak. The interesting thing is that Giannis only became a Greek Citizen two years ago. Giannis parents, Charles and Victoria are Nigerians who immigrated to Greece in the early 90's and gave birth to Giannis and his brothers there.
Now here's the point I like to make that stresses your ignorance: in the course of discussion on the group, many were wowed and some were like why didn't he play for Nigeria. That was when one of the posters said he(as in the poster) has met Giannis who would have played for Nigeria but that Greece had fast tracked his switch of nationality and he (the poster) went on to state that there are many Nigerians abroad in Australia, Germany, Italy whose parents routinely ask him how they'd get their children to represent Nigeria. He talked about how he met some good basketballers of Nigerian descent in Germany and a swimmer in tanzania whose Dad was/is Nigerian. The 'how' is a problem that rapport and engagement can solve.

There are talented athletes, basketballers, swimmers, footballers of Nigerian descent all over the world cut off completely from how we do things here but whose heart is still at home with us because of the blood that flows in their veins.

Now komekn spoke in the broad context of engagement and rapport with footballers in EUROPE and you say that we do not need anyone to engage these players to play for us. How ignorant can one be more than this again, how insensitive? If you do not engage them and create rapport, how do you know who will agree to play for us and who will not?and since its not by force, anyone that declines the honour, we by pass such a person or still try and persuade them some more. In your mind they should just cross over and say heyyyy Nigeria, here I am. I want to play for you. Na so?

Because Tammy has bounced us, we are hurt. But not everyone of them is Tammy. It was Rohr who convinced Ebuehi to play for us, Rohr convinced Dessers to play for us, it is Rohr who has been making contact with Torunarigha, Uduokhai and Akpoguma on our behalf. Would it not have been better if we have designated persons, passionate Nigerians, who understand Nigeria and also the foreign country to engage these players on our behalf once it is ascertained that they are talented? Would it not be good to have a formal structure of engagement through which parents whose kids desire to represent Nigeria find it easy to register their interest? Na Rohr wey be Oyibo man dey engage players and talk them to represent your fatherland for you! Shame on you!!

Guy you dey fall hand abeg for this narrow mindedness. I don't want to talk politics but this is precisely the same mindset that prevents rapprochement and understanding across cultural divides in this country. Everybody sits in his own enclave and speaks from that narrow perspective without trying to understand the view point of the other man, of the other ethnic group, culture or religion. It infuriates me. It makes me mad when I encounter narrow mindedness. Joebie knows. You are in Nigeria talking about people in the UK yet you have no inkling what it feels like for them regarding such issues as playing for Nigeria. For you it's a simple matter. No, my brother, it's not so simple when you leave them in a vacuum to make that decision. The only thing that makes that decision simple is relationship built through engagement and rapprochement. Gerrit?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 5:00pm On Nov 06, 2017
terzurum5:
Former Super Eagles Star Emenalo Quits Chelsea, Set For Monaco

Former Nigeria defender Michael Emenalo has resigned from his position as technical director at Chelsea.

According to a report on the Telegraph, Emenalo quit after declining not to engage in a three-way power battle with current Chelsea manager Antonio Conte and Marina Granovskaia who are known not to see eye to eye.

The former Nigerian international, who was in the Super Eagles squad for the USA ’94 World Cup, could assume a position at AS Monaco.

Emenalo joined Chelsea in 2007 as an assistant under Avram Grant and he also worked as an opposition scout and assistant first-team coach under Carlo Ancelotti, replacing Ray Wilkins when he was sacked.

With Emenalo as Chelsea’s technical director, the 1994 World Cup star helped Chelsea win three Premier League titles, the FA Cup, the League Cup, the Europa League and the Champions League.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/former-super-eagles-star-emenalo-quits-chelsea-set-monaco/

This guy should be heading the technical department of the NFF and not going to Monaco
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 5:02pm On Nov 06, 2017
Disclaimer: I am not too sure if the picture below is that of Danjuma. However, that was all I could lay my hands on.

2018 World Cup: I want to be the youngest member of the Super Eagles

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6216379_danjumaademolakuti_jpeg473a162bb293fb3b6adfffcc95c6e2f6

*Four nations seek his signature for nationality switch

By Oluwole Francis

Ademola Kuti, a young 18year old Nigerian striker for Fujairah SC of Dubai, in the United Arab Emirate, with a gangling 6.4 feet in height is not only intimidating with his height but with his growing records, he is one player the scouts of the cadet national teams should start to monitor and quickly tie down.

Four nations are already pursuing the young potential striker who has played a very important role for his club to shun his fatherland for them. The player a journalist who has trailed his development described as “extraordinary, hardworking striker” plays simultaneously for both the senior and cadet teams.

He has featured 11 times and slotted 12 goals for the club, shouting up the ladder among the highest goal scorers in the youth league within four months of signing for Fujairah SC.

His advantage of height has helped him rise fast, he has played all levels of the Nigerian amateur league and is now making rave marks abroad.

Danjuma Ademola Kuti…beating an opponent with velvety skills
The one time recipient of Sportswriters Association of Nigeria, (SWAN) Award winner of the highest goal scorer in the State League, believes time and God who took me this far will see me through. I have tried to concentrate on my growing career. Though, if I have my way, I would prefer to play for my fatherland. The green white green jersey has always been my dream even as a child. My U-17 outing remains to take me to the U-20 and the Super Eagles. I want to be the youngest member of the Super Eagles to the 2018 World Cup in Russia.”

Danjuma Kuti who had a brief spell with Lobi Stars of Makurdi last season was scouted while in action for the club in a friendly match in Makurdi.

The 18 year-old Danjuma was immediately picked for a two weeks trials with Fujairah Sports Club a Dubai based football team which upon his performance earned him a contract.

Kuti joined a Nigerian Olanrewaju Kehinde who is on loan from Hapoel Acre of Israel. His uniqueness will make one wonder what he is metamorphosing to become and who’s prototype he is.

Full name: Kuti Danjuma Ademola

Date of birth/ Age: 18

Place of birth: Nigeria

Weight: 55 kg

Height: 1.97 m (6 ft 4 feet)

Playing position: Forward

Foot: Both.

CAREER: Pepsi Academy
Robo FC, Lagos.
Water FC, Abuja.

Lobi stars (NPFL: Nigeria Premier League)

Fujairah SC, U.A.E. (present club)

NATIONAL TEAM -call up
Nigeria U-17

HONOUR
Sport Writers Association Of Nigeria’ Award, Highest Goal Scorer State League.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:02pm On Nov 06, 2017
for obvious reasons. I have called you out on this in the past. And safarigirl called you out on it lately. I'm waiting for you to make another accusation that the NFF etc are favoring a specific section of the country, then I will jump on you again.

forgiveness:

@bolded

According to the second out bolded. If Raheem Lawal was in my mind then why should it take me a while before mentioning Lawal? shocked

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:05pm On Nov 06, 2017
Joebie:
for obvious reasons. I have called you out on this in the past. And safarigirl called you out on it lately. I'm waiting for you to make another accusation that the NFF etc are favoring a specific section of the country, then I will jump on you again.

Oga! Answer question and don't give tales by moon light stori.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:07pm On Nov 06, 2017
You want me to question your intelligence again eh? lol if you still didn't get my clear answer, others will get it.

forgiveness:

Oga! Answer question and don't give tales by moon light stori.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 5:09pm On Nov 06, 2017
Victor Moses Pays Tribute To Chelsea Teammates For Beating Man Utd

Crocked Nigeria international Victor Moses was not picked as expected when Manchester United visited Stamford Bridge to face defending champions Chelsea in the Premier League on Sunday evening.

The right wing-back was seen in the crowd just behind the Blues substitutes bench, watching on as his side bagged the win against their fierce rivals, thanks to Alvaro Morata's 55th minute goal which proved to be the game-winner.

The win saw Antonio Conte's side close the gap on Manchester United to one point after eleven matches in the division.

''What a performance from the lads massive win #CFC,'' tweeted Victor Moses.

Because of the hamstring ailment Moses is still recovering from, he cannot step out onto the grass of the Stade Mohamed-Hamlaoui, Constantine, venue of the World Cup qualifier against the Desert Foxes on Friday, November 10.

The 26-year-old is in the running for the 2017 African Player of the Year.

Igho Kingsley

www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=25315

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 5:10pm On Nov 06, 2017
terzurum5:
Omeruo Gets Late Eagles Call-Up For Algeria, Argentina Clashes

By Johnny Edward:

Kasimpasa defender Kenneth Omeruo has been handed a late call-up to the Super Eaglesfor Friday’s 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier against Algeria and the international friendly against Argentina on November 14, Comple tesportsnigeria.com reports.‎

Omeruo who was placed on standby for the matches prior to the injuries to three key players, is expected to arrive in Rabat Morocco on Monday, where the team is training ahead of the final 2018 World Cup qualifier in Algeria on Friday.

“Omeruo is back, for the games against Algeria and Argentina,” the source said.

The Super Eagles will be lodged at the Farah Rabat Hotel during their camping in Morocco.

The defender last featured for the Super Eagles in their 1-1 draw against Senegal in an international friendly in London.

Odion Ighalo has pulled out from the game, while Ogenyi Onazi and Moses Simon currently injured are poised to pull out of the Eagles forthcoming matches.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/omeruo-gets-late-eagles-call-algeria-argentina-clashes/

I heard that Olarewaju Kayode has also been invited. Is it true? Someone please confirm
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:16pm On Nov 06, 2017
Please I know this is a football thread so I crave the indulgence of everyone to post this story on Giannis Atetokuonmpo aka the Greek Freak

The Unspeakable Greatness of Giannis Antetokounmpo
The Bucks’ All-Star isn’t changing the way his position is played. He’s changing the way all the positions are played.
By MARC STEIN NOVEMBER 3, 2017

The Milwaukee Bucks’ Giannis Antetokounmpo is already in the conversation for the Most Valuable Player Award this season.
STACY REVERE/GETTY IMAGES
By MARC STEIN
November 3, 2017
MILWAUKEE — Michael Redd averaged 26.7 points per game at the height of his Milwaukee Bucks career. Redd earned a $91 million contract as a Buck, won an Olympic gold medal while a member of the Bucks and stood as the Bucks’ lone N.B.A. All-Star for a span exceeding a decade.

You could thus make the case that Redd, based on his résumé, knows better than anyone else in the basketball universe how it feels to be Giannis Antetokounmpo.

The problem: Redd couldn’t suppress a laugh when that idea was presented to him.

As he stood on the floor of the Bucks’ first home, in anticipation of watching the Antetokounmpo show at an arena unforgettably known as the Mecca, Redd made the claim that none of his predecessors — from this franchise or otherwise — could truly identify with the prodigy affectionately known as the Greek Freak.

“I’ve never seen anybody like him,” Redd said. “We’ve never seen anything like this.

“The numbers he’s getting right now are almost on accident. Once he learns how to play play — unstoppable. It’s almost like he’s from another planet.”

This is the sort of breathless praise Antetokounmpo routinely inspires in his fifth N.B.A. season. Building on a 2016-17 campaign in which he became the Bucks’ first All-Star since Redd in 2004 and won the N.B.A.’s Most Improved Player Award, Antetokounmpo zoomed to averages of 31.3 points, 10.6 rebounds and 5.1 assists entering Friday’s play — benchmarks no player in league history had ever hit, in unison, through the season’s first eight games.

Yet it is the manner in which he operates, on top of the sheer statistical delirium, that makes the 22-year-old from Greece such a phenomenon. The N.B.A. is famed for the comparison game it triggers any time a new star emerges, but no one has quite figured out how to size up this 6-foot-11 235-pounder who occasionally needs just one dribble from midcourt to swoop to the rim and does all that scoring without a dependable perimeter stroke to open up the rest of his game.

Is he a budding Magic Johnson — albeit with more athletic ability? Is he the next LeBron James — only blessed with much more size and length? Can we call him a full-fledged point guard now? Is it more accurate to say he’s more of a point forward?

What, exactly, is he?

“Point all,” Bucks Coach Jason Kidd said, after a lengthy pause in search of the proper summation.

The veteran Bucks guard Jason Terry, referring to his former longtime teammate Dirk Nowitzki, the revolutionary power forward, explained the conundrum this way:

“Dirk, in my eyes, is the best European player to ever play this game,” Terry said. “He literally changed the way his position is played. But Giannis doesn’t even have a position. He does it all, and he’s still learning what to do out there.”

A Huge Milwaukee Fan

To the Bucks’ delight, “all” includes a trait that tantalizes team officials as much as his 60 percent shooting from the field so far, or anything else the league’s hottest individual force does with a basketball in his hands: Antetokounmpo unabashedly loves Milwaukee.

It’s a city that, despite a string of successful teams in the 1980s and a squad that fell one win short of the N.B.A. finals in 2001, has never fully shed its “unfashionable” label, which was affixed when the best player in Bucks history — Kareem Abdul-Jabbar — forced a trade to the perennially glamorous Los Angeles Lakers in 1975.

But Antetokounmpo, in a recent interview, went so far as to assert that where he plays directly influences how he plays.

“I’m a low-profile guy,” he said. “I don’t like all these flashy cities like L.A. or Miami. I don’t know if I could be the same player if I played in those cities.”

N.B.A. teams saddled with Milwaukee’s small-market, glamour-shy profile generally live in fear of big-market behemoths signing away their brightest talents at the first free-agent opportunity. Antetokounmpo is in the first year of a four-year, $100 million contract extension — $11 million less than the maximum he could have signed for — but the Bucks are well aware that teams out there are plotting their recruiting pitches for the summer of 2021.

Visitors to Milwaukee, however, quickly discover that it’s no exaggeration to describe Antetokounmpo’s future as the least of the Bucks’ concerns in their bid to become a credible contender for the first time in nearly two decades. It also doesn’t hurt that, by virtue of his speedy ascension to All-N.B.A. status and contention for other top individual honors, Antetokounmpo is on a course to be eligible for a so-called “supermax” contract extension from the Bucks via the league’s new Designated Player Exception during the 2020 off-season, which would put him in line for a new deal well in excess of $200 million.

As he tweeted in July, to the presumed glee of every Milwaukeean, “I got loyalty inside my DNA.”

An Unexpected Loss

The connective tissue that links this star, team and city runs as dense as you’ll find on the N.B.A. map, perhaps surpassed only by Nowitzki’s two decades’ worth of roots in Dallas or maybe the deep bonds shared in San Antonio by Tony Parker and Manu Ginobili. Milwaukee hasn’t simply been the backdrop for Antetokounmpo’s fairy tale rise to American stardom; it has been home for virtually his whole family for all but the first few months of his N.B.A. life.

Antetokounmpo admits, furthermore, that the unexpected death of his father just over a month ago has him leaning on his adopted hometown more than ever. Charles Antetokounmpo died of a heart attack on Sept. 29 at age 54.

“I can feel the love from the city every day I step on the floor,” Giannis Antetokounmpo said. “For me, what I’m going through now, I appreciate it even more.”

Charles and Veronica Antetokounmpo, who moved from Nigeria to Greece as undocumented immigrants in 1991 in search of a better life, secured the necessary paperwork to relocate to Milwaukee along with Giannis’s two younger brothers halfway through his rookie season. Kostas Antetokounmpo is a redshirt freshman at the University of Dayton now, but the rest of the family moved into a new downtown complex before this season, with Giannis and Alexandros Antetokounmpo (a high school sophomore) housed on the fifth floor and Charles and Veronica on the fourth.

After years of well-chronicled struggle for the family in a northern section of Athens known as Sepolia, they have found Milwaukee as idyllic as it was portrayed to be in the sitcom “Happy Days,” where not even the frigid winters can detract from the comfort they’ve experienced as a unit.

Only now, as they confront Charles’s death, even more responsibility has been heaped on the ever-widening shoulders of the Bucks’ phenom. Veronica Antetokounmpo, meanwhile, has moved up a flight to be with her sons on the fifth floor in the wake of her husband’s death.

“Leading your family is a lot tougher than basketball,” Antetokounmpo said. “Especially right now. But I’ve got to be strong for my family.

“Things,” he continued, “are going to get better.”

Places to Improve

The areas for on-court improvement are obvious for Antetokounmpo even as he stuffs box score after box score. His outside shot still needs copious amounts of work — he is not close to trusting it in times of need — and there is room for growth in reading the game at both ends, consistently making his teammates better and refining his decision-making.

Yet it’s also ridiculous, and rather cold, to nitpick what is missing from Antetokounmpo’s blossoming game given the level he is consistently hitting with that 7-foot-3 wingspan of his. Doubly so at a time of profound grief.

“He’s like a plane that just started taking off,” Kidd said. “He’s at 10,000 feet.”

When he arrived in Wisconsin, via the 15th overall pick in the 2013 N.B.A. draft, Antetokounmpo was measured at 6 feet 9 inches and weighed less than 200 pounds. A half-decade later, he is closing in on 240 pounds, and coaches and teammates routinely refer to him as a 7-footer.

The Milwaukee assistant coach Frank Johnson, noting Antetokounmpo’s bulked-up body and added strength, said, “He gets bumped now and he loves it.”

As for his perimeter game, Johnson preaches patience, pointing to the countless nights of extra shooting he is getting alongside the mentoring “Coach Sweeney” — the Bucks assistant coach Sean Sweeney. The way Johnson talks about the work-in-progress jumper is reminiscent of what league observers said for years about Shaquille O’Neal’s persistent free-throw woes.

“If he had that already,” Johnson said, “it wouldn’t be fair.”

Terry, the Bucks guard, said: “Of course he has to keep working on his outside game. But Giannis just has a peaceful confidence about himself. You can see it. Last year, he didn’t have that.”

The legendary Kobe Bryant, now in his second season of retirement, had seen enough coming into training camp to challenge Antetokounmpo via Twitter in late August to make a bid for the league’s Most Valuable Player Award.

Asked why he set such a high target, as part of his #MambaMentality campaign, Bryant said last week via email that he was moved by Antetokounmpo’s “rare physical gifts that are matched by a rare inner passion.”
‘The Giannis Effect’

Bucks staffers do worry that Antetokounmpo is occasionally too hard on himself, having watched him head straight for the practice floor on the same night as a frustrating loss more times than they care to remember. One example of his blame-me tendencies: He said last week, on the morning after a home setback to the Boston Celtics, that he was still angry “for personal reasons,” implying that the 96-89 defeat was all his fault.

But the Bucks do not try to influence Antetokounmpo’s thinking too much. They prefer to let him figure things out as they come — except when he decided during the summer that he wanted to have a garage sale as a part of his recent move.

He wanted to stage the sale to pay homage to his Athens youth, when he and his brothers had to peddle knockoff watches and sunglasses to help his parents and siblings survive. The Bucks’ front office and Veronica Antetokounmpo ultimately talked him out of it.

“I’m a great seller — that’s one of the other talents I have,” Giannis Antetokounmpo said. “I wanted to do it so bad. But they told me I couldn’t because three or four thousand people would show up.”

Sounds like a safe estimate given the Bucks’ rising popularity in Green Bay Packers territory and Antetokounmpo’s central role in that rise.

At the Milwaukee Brat House near the team’s current Bradley Center home, the manager Jennifer Fellin said she saw more patrons wearing Bucks gear now than at any other point in her eight-year stint at the restaurant. It is a fashion trend she attributes largely to the Giannis Effect.

The Antetokounmpo-led Bucks, Fellin asserted, have risen to “cool” status.

“They have breathed new life into the city,” Gino Fazzari, owner of the nearby Calderone Club restaurant, said.

Team executives, mind you, are realistic. They know Antetokounmpo will be fiercely pursued by rival teams (and, perhaps more worryingly, stars from rival teams) at the earliest opportunity. They know those future suitors will point to a three-headed Bucks ownership structure that has come under increasing scrutiny in recent months and paint the arrangement as a potential source of instability. They know, even as construction proceeds swiftly on an impressive $524 million arena scheduled to open next fall and complement Milwaukee’s gleaming new practice facility across the street, that Antetokounmpo might find it hard someday to resist looking around if the Bucks cannot fortify their roster and rediscover playoff success.

After all, even Bryant and Tim Duncan — two legends whom he hopes to emulate in terms of never switching teams, as Antetokounmpo recently told Time Magazine — flirted with leaving their teams before opting for the increasingly rare only-one-jersey approach.

“I really don’t see Giannis going anywhere,” Redd said. “Even in the future.

“With what he’s doing on the court, it’s going to automatically draw people to come play with him. I know people have that stigma about Milwaukee. But it won’t be hard for him to attract talent here. I just want a ring when they get a ring.”

Outlandish as the retired Redd sounds at the moment — given, for starters, Milwaukee’s lack of a consistent second scoring option as well as a need for more speed and more shooting — Antetokounmpo encourages the lofty talk. He is convincing when he says he thinks he “can take this organization to the next level and bring that championship,” undoubtedly projecting so much confidence because he’s so aware of how far he has come.

In the month since his father’s death, Antetokounmpo revealed that he often found himself looking at a picture on a private Instagram page he maintains. The image shows Giannis, Kostas, Alexandros and their older brother, Thanasis, who currently plays for Panathinaikos in Greece after a brief stint with the Knicks, all sleeping in the same bed.

Giannis estimates that he was 10 or 11 at the time. One bed for the four children was all Charles and Veronica Antetokounmpo could manage. The parents slept in a small nearby den, as Giannis recalled, behind “like a curtain.”

“It’s an unbelievable story,” Antetokounmpo said. “Good stuff.”

Memories like that leave little doubt why the only N.B.A. city that the Greek Freak has ever known can feel like the promised land.

“There’s a lot of things you can do in Milwaukee, too,” he said proudly.

The whole league can see that now.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 5:16pm On Nov 06, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
No mind them my brother. And when they finally get called up you begin to wonder if all their abilities have disappeared to.

Main reason y I don't get to comment much here,I will rather wait after a match and make comments about d players who played d match and not arguing on over hyped past "events" of a player grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 5:18pm On Nov 06, 2017
These players need a move away from their present teams in order to save their careers.

A. Musa - it's obvious, he's never gonna break into the Leicester team. That's a shame and it says nothing about his quality.

Isaac Success - This guy's career at Spain was seriously promising. He could have progressed to play for Athletico Madrid if not for the politics of the owners.

V. Osimhen - This lad should learn from Chrisantus, I've seen 19 year olds break into first teams of their clubs, his continuous sitting on the bench isn't really aiding his growth. He needs to put to practice what he's been learning, else he'd be forgotten.

Musa Yahaya - He was one of the fans favorite back then in his U-17 team. He's better than playing in the Porto B-Team. He should take a cue from Agu and Awaziem who had gone to seek playing time elsewhere and making headlines already.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:30pm On Nov 06, 2017
Mujtahida, please check your email
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:39pm On Nov 06, 2017
Joebie:
Mujtahida, please check your email
I just did. Thanks for the link. I'd check it out.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:41pm On Nov 06, 2017
Danycrusoe:

This is not a positive move if it should happen in fact it's a step backwards apart from winning the local league and playing Europa league playoffs there x nothing enticing in Serbia 4 Etebo. He x a bit better than those kind of leagues

Partizan Belgrade is a good ground for development. They have a history of producing quality players including Jovetic, Ljajic, Vidic, Zoran Tosic, Stefan Savic and Nastatic. I think it is a good move based on the clubs talent production history. A step up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:43pm On Nov 06, 2017
junnyjake:
These players need a move away from their present teams in order to save their careers.

A. Musa - it's obvious, he's never gonna break into the Leicester team. That's a shame and it says nothing about his quality.

Isaac Success - This guy's career at Spain was seriously promising. He could have progressed to play for Athletico Madrid if not for the politics of the owners.

V. Osimhen - This lad should learn from Chrisantus, I've seen 19 year olds break into first teams of their clubs, his continuous sitting on the bench isn't really aiding his growth. He needs to put to practice what he's been learning, else he'd be forgotten.

Musa Yahaya - He was one of the fans favorite back then in his U-17 team. He's better than playing in the Porto B-Team. He should take a cue from Agu and Awaziem who had gone to seek playing time elsewhere and making headlines already.

Osimhen is a young player in Wolfsburg, training with Mario Gomes. For his age, it is a dream come true. He should make the most of his opportunity, learn and work hard. His chance will come and he will take it.

No need moving. He might find himself in a worse situation.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:45pm On Nov 06, 2017
ok cool
Mujtahida:

I just did. Thanks for the link. I'd check it out.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:48pm On Nov 06, 2017
terzurum5:
Disclaimer: I am not too sure if the picture below is that of Danjuma. However, that was all I could lay my hands on.

2018 World Cup: I want to be the youngest member of the Super Eagles

www.nairaland.com/attachments/6216379_danjumaademolakuti_jpeg473a162bb293fb3b6adfffcc95c6e2f6

*Four nations seek his signature for nationality switch

By Oluwole Francis

Ademola Kuti, a young 18year old Nigerian striker for Fujairah SC of Dubai, in the United Arab Emirate, with a gangling 6.4 feet in height is not only intimidating with his height but with his growing records, he is one player the scouts of the cadet national teams should start to monitor and quickly tie down.

Four nations are already pursuing the young potential striker who has played a very important role for his club to shun his fatherland for them. The player a journalist who has trailed his development described as “extraordinary, hardworking striker” plays simultaneously for both the senior and cadet teams.

He has featured 11 times and slotted 12 goals for the club, shouting up the ladder among the highest goal scorers in the youth league within four months of signing for Fujairah SC.

His advantage of height has helped him rise fast, he has played all levels of the Nigerian amateur league and is now making rave marks abroad.

Danjuma Ademola Kuti…beating an opponent with velvety skills
The one time recipient of Sportswriters Association of Nigeria, (SWAN) Award winner of the highest goal scorer in the State League, believes time and God who took me this far will see me through. I have tried to concentrate on my growing career. Though, if I have my way, I would prefer to play for my fatherland. The green white green jersey has always been my dream even as a child. My U-17 outing remains to take me to the U-20 and the Super Eagles. I want to be the youngest member of the Super Eagles to the 2018 World Cup in Russia.”

Danjuma Kuti who had a brief spell with Lobi Stars of Makurdi last season was scouted while in action for the club in a friendly match in Makurdi.

The 18 year-old Danjuma was immediately picked for a two weeks trials with Fujairah Sports Club a Dubai based football team which upon his performance earned him a contract.

Kuti joined a Nigerian Olanrewaju Kehinde who is on loan from Hapoel Acre of Israel. His uniqueness will make one wonder what he is metamorphosing to become and who’s prototype he is.

Full name: Kuti Danjuma Ademola

Date of birth/ Age: 18

Place of birth: Nigeria

Weight: 55 kg

Height: 1.97 m (6 ft 4 feet)

Playing position: Forward

Foot: Both.

CAREER: Pepsi Academy
Robo FC, Lagos.
Water FC, Abuja.

Lobi stars (NPFL: Nigeria Premier League)

Fujairah SC, U.A.E. (present club)

NATIONAL TEAM -call up
Nigeria U-17

HONOUR
Sport Writers Association Of Nigeria’ Award, Highest Goal Scorer State League.

Wow. Impressive CV.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:53pm On Nov 06, 2017
TheGoodJoe:
Owngoalnigeria is a fantastic sight. Very analytical and sometimes good in their forecast. [b]Their only challenge is that they try to post their analysis as facts. [/b]They should stick to tagging lots of their work as analytical opinions and forecast. Stop using anonymous source when it is a well analysed point.

If they stick to that, they will be a powerful source of information.
The bolded is precisely where the problem lies. They seem to want to pass analysis as facts and then use anonymous to sanctify it. It leaves much to be desired. In fact if they even do more in depth analysis they'd get more readers and separate themselves from others who just post news. goal.com regularly does analysis.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 5:56pm On Nov 06, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
They are both Central/ Defensive midfielders if you aren't awareMy question again; What abilities does Mike Agu posses that made you include him in your list ahead of Ogu? I'm just curios.

Even why Rohr doesn't play Ogu baffles me. I hope he gets his chance in our next game.
He's faster than Ogu.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:04pm On Nov 06, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

It is a lie! shocked After celebrating with the Chelsea yesterday. I did not expect this.

What a great man and I respect him for this. Conte has a different idea for the team and Emenalo has his own way he wants to run Chelsea. If Abramovic will continue interfering, it is best Emenalo goes to where he will get a freehand to shape a team the way he wants.

I wish Emenalo Goodluck in his journey to Monaco and I have one plea to him.

SIGN NACHO.
He and Oliseh can become our coach as in two coach at once like Denmark does.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:06pm On Nov 06, 2017
Joebie:
You want me to question your intelligence again eh? lol if you still didn't get my clear answer, others will get it.

'Others' na em be ya answer? grin

TEKEL: You have been weighted in the balance and found wanting.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:09pm On Nov 06, 2017
Joebie:

Joebie:
I asked you to name who should have been called up instead. It took you a while before you mentioned Lawal. If I actually did claim so, where and when did you refute that claim?
And how is that even a diversion if I actually did make that claim? -- 2 things unrelated.

I've said Nwakali has been on the headlines. I have not seen or noticed any with Lawal lately. Secondly, I never said that's the reason why he was invited over the others. Don't put words into my mouth.
My point is you make it seem Lawal is clearly ahead of Nwakali. Besides your youtube video you posted of him from last season, your case is weak.

Modified
The next thing, you are going to tell me about how leagues are rated in Europe lol

Joebie:
So all this complaining by forgiveness as regards Nwakali. It was actually Lawal he had he mind when he accused me of lying after I mentioned 3 names that came to my mind. Oga forgiveness, I've not been keeping tabs on Lawal like you have. Not like he's been making headlines anyway. I wish I could read your mind to determine your Super Eagles best XI. Actually, I think I know what it would look like.

@bolded

Answer my question. Let the world see how intelligent your claim to be. Mr Inte. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 6:11pm On Nov 06, 2017
Kog45:
Do you think CF is booked coz initially we thought DM is booked until Nwakili invitation, so you cannot say though not easy for Obasi to break into the team but giving him chance he w displace Simeon and Ahmed Musa with ease but i don't think Obasi w be useful at WC cos injury can set in anytime,base on this i still prefer Simeon in the team.

Obasi na oga ooo but I have not seen him play lately.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 6:12pm On Nov 06, 2017
Joebie:
Eagles settle down in Rabat, Mikel expected Tuesday
By The NFF
Updated: November 6, 2017

The Super Eagles on Monday in Rabat, Morocco began preparation for Friday’s 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifier against Algeria which is scheduled for Constantine.

Meanwhile, Coach Gernot Rohr has replaced injured midfielder Ogenyi Onazi with defender Kenneth Omeruo, while Girona FC of Spain forward Olanrewaju Kayode takes the place of Moses Simon, who is also knocked out by injury.

All the technical crew and backroom staff arrived in Rabat on Sunday, alongside four players: Ahmed Musa, Wilfred Ndidi, Mikel Agu and goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa.

On Monday, Oghenekaro Etebo, Alex Iwobi, Olanrewaju Kayode, Henry Onyekuru, Chidiebere Nwakali, Kelechi Iheanacho, Uche Agbo and Chidozie Awaziem arrived in Casablanca just after noon, and were immediately driven to Rabat.

Less than an hour after the crew of Etebo and seven others landed, Turkey –based defender Kenneth Omeruo and Israel –based duo of John Ogu and Anthony Nwakaeme also arrived at the Mohamed V Airport, Casablanca. They were also immediately driven to Rabat, where the team is quartered at the Golden Tulip Farah.

Team administrator Dayo Enebi Achor confirmed to thenff.com that team captain Mikel John Obi, as well as goalkeepers Francis Uzoho and Daniel Akpeyi, are expected in Rabat on Tuesday.

On Friday, the Super Eagles, with the Russia 2018 World Cup ticket already in their pocket, will fly to Constantine, where they face the Fennecs at the Stade Mohamed Hamlaoui from 8.30pm Algeria time on Friday.

On Saturday, the Nigerian team will fly aboard a chartered flight to Krasnodar, the Russian city that will host Tuesday’s international friendly against Argentina.
Do you guys notice the alacrity with which this guys answer to national duty? Discipline and enthusiasm. This might just be what will make them great.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 6:21pm On Nov 06, 2017
safarigirl:
he looks very different when he's not smiling undecided

I prefer his smiley face grin

Abi. That was y I got confused
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 6:22pm On Nov 06, 2017
Mujtahida:

This stance of yours is one that riles me. Sincerely.
Now I know that some of us here were co-opted into a WhatsApp group. Just this Saturday, the name and story of a 22 year old Greek basketball player who is well on his way to becoming a great, even greater than Hakeem Olajuwon - in basketball was posted. His name is Giannis Antetokuonmpo also known as the Greek freak. The interesting thing is that Giannis only became a Greek Citizen two years ago. Giannis parents, Charles and Veronica are Nigerians who immigrated to Greece in the early 90's and gave birth to Giannis and his brothers there.
Now here's the point I like to make that stresses your ignorance: in the course of discussion on the group, many were wowed and some were like why didn't he play for Nigeria. That was when one of the posters said he(as in the poster) has met Giannis who would have played for Nigeria but that Greece had fast tracked his switch of nationality and he (the poster) went on to state that there are many Nigerians abroad in Australia, Germany, Italy whose parents routinely ask him how they'd get their children to represent Nigeria. He talked about how he met some good basketballers of Nigerian descent in Germany and a swimmer in tanzania whose Dad was/is Nigerian. The 'how' is a problem that rapport and engagement can solve.

Now komekn spoke in the broad context of engagement and rapport with footballers in EUROPE and you say that we do not need anyone to engage these players to play for us. How ignorant can one be more than this again, how insensitive? If you do not engage them and create rapport, how do you know who will agree to play for us and who will not?and since its not by force, anyone that declines the honour, we by pass such a person or still try and persuade them some more. In your mind they should just cross over and say heyyyy Nigeria, here I am. I want to play for you. Na so?

Guy you dey fall hand abeg for this narrow mindedness. I don't want to talk politics but this is precisely the same mindset that prevents rapprochement and understanding across cultural divides in this country. Everybody sits in his own enclave and speaks from that narrow perspective without trying to understand the view point of the other man, of the other ethnic group, culture or religion. It infuriates me. It makes me mad when I encounter narrow mindedness. Joebie knows. Imagine if a Nigerian born and brought up in the UK talks dismissively about the problems we encounter in Nigeria in a manner that shows he lacks an understanding of our challenges I'd take that person on if I have the opportunity. Indeed I was happy when safarigirl questioned and challenged komekn regarding his understanding of the plight of our players here in Nigeria face when they go abroad to ply their trade. You are in Nigeria talking about people in the UK yet you have no inkling what it feels like for them regarding such issues as playing for Nigeria. For you it's a simple matter. No, my brother, it's not so simple when you leave them in a vacuum to make that decision. The only thing that makes that decision simple is relationship built through engagement and rapprochement. Gerrit?
You know a well-read and possibly a well-traveled person when you read one.

The dismissive perspective of all who rail at anything foreign is just too parochial. No development will ever come from such.

I truly hope this opinion of yours is all encompassing. I wouldn't want to turn political but this is the same perspective needed for economic development. 'Foreign' goods and imports are not what has turned us into this backward abyss. But this is not the place to demystify laissez faire to the simple minded.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 6:23pm On Nov 06, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Partizan Belgrade is a good ground for development. They have a history of producing quality players including Jovetic, Ljajic, Vidic, Zoran Tosic, Stefan Savic and Nastatic. I think it is a good move based on the clubs talent production history. A step up.

I'm not sure I buy ur idea, I think dere a other clubs in the major leagues that will improve and develop him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:27pm On Nov 06, 2017
Mujtahida:

Do you guys notice the alacrity with which this guys answer to national duty? Discipline and enthusiasm. This might just be what will make them great.
who no wan go world cup grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:33pm On Nov 06, 2017
Joebie:
The real question is how is Lawal's current form. I can bring you videos of Nosa Igiebor while he was in the LaLiga. He was MOTM versus Barcelona, but let's see more recent videos. How recent are those videos of Lawal? Well let me investigate.

My man am not here to make case for Lawal or against Nwakili invitation but to tell thegoodjoe that if Rohr really wants Lawal he doesn't need to drop any player cos when he called Nwakili no player was dropped,that's my point.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2023) (2024) (2025) (2026) (2027) (2028) (2029) ... (16151) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Daejumong(m), Philosopher1979, Theben(m), Kingjite1, Marjoribanks, damagnificentusb(m) and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 168
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.