Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,271 members, 7,818,929 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2078) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11689965 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2075) (2076) (2077) (2078) (2079) (2080) (2081) ... (16156) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Badosqi(m): 9:10pm On Nov 11, 2017
Respect to Coach Herve Renard. He is really doing well in African football

From Afcon triumphs with team Zambia and Ivory Coast now he has achieved another milestone with team Morocco.

11 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 9:12pm On Nov 11, 2017
Aina was questionable all through the game. He was good going forward and look strong in tackles but he was found in many occasion to be unstable. As it stands now I will start Echiejile until I see improvements on Aina.

Shehu is growing tremendously with every single game he was one of the best on the field. He needs to drop that mr. nice guy demeanor sometimes. He even makes it hard for Ebuehi to see playing time...poor Ebuehi.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 9:17pm On Nov 11, 2017
forgiveness:

The same Saido Mane was one time the best player in the Austrian league before he went to EPL.
Naby Keita as well. Kayode needs to do well in LA liga then Rohr will have no excuse to drop him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:17pm On Nov 11, 2017
Icon4s:

When Michael2 and I were saying we may not win the game we sounded like aliens.
Nobody argued or contested that with both of you. I remember I asked Mickael2 the reasons for his prediction/analysis and when he gave them to me I didn't even argue or counter his points. Our minds were off the match. I didn't even watch it. I only watched the highlights online as the match was on.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:18pm On Nov 11, 2017
Lucque:
Bros I didn't get d sarcasm in ur post, and i overreacted ,cos of d frustrating comments ppl have been writing... I apologize deeply... Respect bro!!!
Never mind my Bro. We are together.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:18pm On Nov 11, 2017
OMANBALA1:
Aina was questionable all through the game. He was good going forward and look strong in tackles but he was found in many occasion to be unstable. As it stands now I will start Echiejile until I see improvements on Aina.

Shehu is growing tremendously with every single game he was one of the best on the field. He needs to drop that mr. nice guy demeanor sometimes. He even makes it hard for Ebuehi to see playing time...poor Ebuehi.

Aina was very impressive for his first game. He kept Riyad quiet. He was much better than Elderson was in the last game. The only problem, i had with him was his rushed clearances.

I think, he will keep Elderson on the bench soon.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 9:29pm On Nov 11, 2017
Mujtahida:

Nobody argued or contested that with both of you. I remember I asked Mickael2 the reasons for his prediction/analysis and when he gave them to me I didn't even argue or counter his points. Our minds were off the match. I didn't even watch it. I only watched the highlights online as the match was on.

You didn't watch the match live yet you have been calling for the sack of Rohr?

Armchair coach you are!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:30pm On Nov 11, 2017
realpoacher:

Armchair coach you are!

He did not ask for the sack of Rohr, it was sarcasm
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 9:31pm On Nov 11, 2017
tbaba1234:

Aina was very impressive for his first game. He kept Riyad quiet. He was much better than Elderson was in the last game. The only problem, i had with him was his rushed clearances.

I think, he will keep Elderson on the bench soon.

That hasty clearances come from lack of confidence which comes from not having experience,Ekong is also guilty of this to some extent.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:32pm On Nov 11, 2017
OMANBALA1:

That hasty clearances come from lack of confidence which shows lack of experiences,Ekong is also guilty of this to some extent.

Na him first game na!! Ekong was outstanding against Algeria.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:34pm On Nov 11, 2017
Humility017:

rohris always scared to try new things....I don't know if that one is phobia or what...
. This kind comment na Im dey weak me
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:37pm On Nov 11, 2017
ROAD TO RUSSIA: 8 Players Who Can Improve Nigeria’s World Cup Squad
63 October 14, 2017 6:47 pm
Now that the Super Eagles have qualified for the 2018 FIFA World Cup
in Russia, the battle for places on the plane to Russia will be fierce. Completesportsnigeria.com’s JOHNNY EDWARD recommends eight players who can improve Nigeria’s World Cup-bound squad…
1. PAUL ONUACHU (FC Midtjylland) :
The Super Eagles need another goal poacher who can score many goals.
Paul Onuachu, 23, has all the features to be a big hit with the Super Eagles as the Midtjylland striker has scored 13 goals in 15 appearances, providing five assists so far this term for the Danish club. His form in the current campaign has not gone unnoticed by the Super Eagles manager Gernot Rohr, with recent reports suggesting the German coach is considering handing him an invitation.
2. HENRY ONYEKURU (Anderletch):
Henry Onyekuru has continued his brilliant goal scoring form for AAnderlecht following his sseason-long loan move from Everton. Onyekuru who is yet to get his chance in the Super Eagles has notched five goals in 12 appearances this season in all
competitions.
The nimble-footed forward is one of the most exciting young talents in Europe and possesses speed and versatility, which would be a good addition to the Super Eagles squad. Onyekuru is the second highest scoring Nigerian in Europe in 2017 season, behind Hapoel Beer Sheva forward Anthony Nwakaeme (28 goals 49) with 26 goals in 41 games.
3. EMMANUEL DENNIS (Club Brugge KV):
Quietly racking in the goals in the Belgian Jupiler League, Emmanuel Dennis is currently the third top scorer in the top division with five goals in seven games (eight in 11 games in all competitions). The versatile youngster striker can offer some competition to the attackers to the Super Eagles squad with his pace and trickery on the ball.
4. ANDERSON ESITI (Gent):
The Super Eagles midfield engine room is an area of concern in terms of solidity and creativity and Anderson Esiti would certainly provide energy alongside Ogenyi Onazi, John Ogu and Wilfred Ndidi in terms of that. He will be a better option than Mikel Agu who has been Gernot Rohr’s first choice of the bench in recent matches.
5. MICHAEL BABATUNDE (Qatar FC):
Michael Babatunde needs no introduction to the Super Eagles as he has featured for the team at the football biggest stage, the FIFA World Cup. Babatunde justified his place in the Super Eagles squad the late Stephen Keshi selected for the last edition of the World Cup but a wrist injury kept him out of action the squad for a while. And since Sunday Oliseh and
Gernot Rohr took charge, the 24-year-old has not been offered a chance.
He could be a valuable option in attacking midfield where he has shone playing for his Qatari club Qatar FC.
6. KENNETH OMERUO (Kasimpasa):
(Kasimpasa): Omeruo has not played for the Super Eagles since match day 2 of the World Cup qualifier against Algeria in Uyo in April. But, if fit, the Kasimpasa centre-back has enough experience to fight his way back into the senior national team. With William Troost-Ekong, Leon Balogun already first choice, Omeruo’s chances rest on his form, with Uche Agbo and Chidozie Awaziem ahead of him in the pecking order for the World Cup.
7. STANLEY AMUZIE (FC Lugano):
Elderson Echiejile is the most experienced defender in the Super Eagles at the moment and he is gradually losing pace. One player who can fit in seamlessly is former U-23 defender Stanley Amuzie who has also featured for the Eagles in two
games.
The left-back position is not exactly a position of strength for the Super Eagles at the moment, with first choice Echiejile gradually fighting it tough combining his defensive duties with
joining the attack. Amuzie, who starred at the Rio Olympics in 2016, has the pedigree to make the squad, but much of that depends on Gernot Rohr and his plans for the back-up role for Echiejile who is one of the coach’s favorite players.
8. VINCENT ENYEAMA (Lille):
Unarguably the best Nigerian goalkeeper in the last decade, Enyeama has been a reliable choice for the Super Eagles until his unceremonious exit from the team under former coach Sunday Oliseh. Enyeama’s return to the team has been much publicized and if he decides to make a U-turn on his international career, Enyeama will not only bring stability to the team but also inspire lot of confidence in the squad. But the biggest questions for Gernot Rohr will
be who will lead the team, Mikel Obi or Enyeama? Will Enyeama be fully fit for the World Cup after being unattached for a spell?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 9:38pm On Nov 11, 2017
Nwakaeme was not bad but he didnt post a memorable performance. I dont know if he is a winger or a striker. Kayode need to play more.

Ekong improved from last game and I know the criticisms he got from previous games has a lot to do with it. However ,he still need to work on his ball handling.

Balogun didnt play his best game but he wasnt poor. He remain one of our best legs and a strong character who you dare not mess with. I like Balogun but I feel Ogu should have captained the team.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:44pm On Nov 11, 2017
OMANBALA1:
Nwakaeme was not bad but he didnt post a memorable performance. I dont know if he is a winger or a striker. Kayode need to play more.

Ekong improved from last game and I know the criticisms he got from previous games has a lot to do with it. However ,he still need to work on his ball handling.

Balogun didnt play his best game but he wasnt poor. He remain one of our best legs and a strong character who you dare not mess with. I like Balogun but I feel Ogu should have captained the team.

Ekong was the best defender yesterday. Balogun improved as the game went on.

Balogun is a leader and plays regularly, he is well suited for the captaincy role. He wanted to break someone's head yesterday, i like my captain with a bit of fire. Roy Keane, Viera etc

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 9:44pm On Nov 11, 2017
tbaba1234:

Na him first game na!! Ekong was outstanding against Algeria.

I am cutting him some slack but he need to pay attention and listen more. There was an unsafe clearance he made after Ekong told him to let off but he did it anyways. I didnt like that. Lets bear in mind that playing him out of his natural position will create some problems.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:51pm On Nov 11, 2017
realpoacher:

Armchair coach you are!
Do you read comments here at all ? Can't you recognize sarcasm? I didn't watch the match and I am not ashamed to say it.that's how much I considered the match a dead rubber. I didn't criticise anybody save nwakaeme and its not even from his performance yesterday. Its an impression formed long before yesterday. Yesterday only gave me opportunity to reiterate my observations about him. Please point out where I criticized rohr .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 9:51pm On Nov 11, 2017
tbaba1234:

Ekong was the best defender yesterday. Balogun improved as the game went on.

Balogun is a leader and plays regularly, he is well suited for the captaincy role. He wanted to break someone's head yesterday, i like my captain with a bit of fire. Roy Keane, Viera etc

Yea, Balogun na correct gangsta ooo and I love that. NO NONSENSE GERMAN MENTALITY. Dude was about to drop somebody ,yesterday.
I dont have problem with Balogun captaining the team because like you said he is a natural leader and a true warrior but John Ogu also has those qualities and has been in the team much longer than Balogun.

I dont think Ekong was better than Shehu ,yesterday.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:56pm On Nov 11, 2017
OMANBALA1:

Yea, Balogun na correct gangsta ooo and I love that. NO NONSENSE GERMAN MENTALITY. Dude was about to drop somebody ,yesterday.
I dont have problem with Balogun captaining the team because like you said he is a natural leader and a true warrior but John Ogu also has those qualities and has been in the team much longer than Balogun.

I dont think Ekong was better than Shehu ,yesterday.

Better CB, i should say..

You want your captain to be a regular too. Ogu is not a regular now.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by phreakabit(m): 10:00pm On Nov 11, 2017
Anyone think Samuel Kalu of Gent would be a good addition to the team?
I reckon he is better than our Present right backs, an additional plus is the fact that he is originally a left back, making him a good utility player.
Not one to buy into hyperbole, but after watching his videos, and reading reviews of him I believe himself and Olanrewaju Kayode of Girona should definitely be invited to the national team!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:03pm On Nov 11, 2017
phreakabit:
Anyone think Samuel Kalu of Gen[/b]t would be a good addition to the team?
I reckon he is better than our Present right backs, an additional plus is the fact that he is originally a left back, making him a good utility player.
Not one to buy into hyperbole, but after watching his videos, and reading reviews of him I believe himself and [b]Olanrewaju Kayode of Girona
should definitely be invited to the national team!

Samuel Kalu is not a defender.

Kayode is already in the team.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:06pm On Nov 11, 2017
Humility017:

thanks my brother...
sometimes we loose or draw matches not really because the players are not good enough but because of the way rohr play them...
you see that RSA match we lost it because of same reason.....I expect rohr to have learn from it by now...but he keeps making same errors.....that's why I am worried...
not really because we drew...yesterday's match...

don't be surprised he will field same players in the world cup...

I am not too happy with him on this....anyway I pray he changes....moreover he does not read news channels or follow up the media so no way we can pass this message across to him...except one close to him...

having someone like siasia as one of his assistant would have done the magic...

That RSA match made your world cup qualification possible

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SerVik(m): 10:08pm On Nov 11, 2017
Oya, let's go and vote Victor Moses for bbc african player of the year award.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41890718

It would be a huge confidence Booster for him going into the world Cup with such award.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:13pm On Nov 11, 2017
phreakabit:
Anyone think Samuel Kalu of Gent would be a good addition to the team?
Not one to buy into hyperbole, but after watching his videos, and reading reviews of him I believe himself and Olanrewaju Kayode of Girona should definitely be invited to the national team!

When u think uv seen it all... Remember Paul Onuachu right? He also deserves a call up as a center back because Balo-Kong need quality competition.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:14pm On Nov 11, 2017
Joebie:
Cc oasis007

I ENJOY BEING ARSENAL'S NO. 10, SAYS ALEX IWOBI
Tolu Olasoji

The Nigeria international is pleased with his role in Wenger's squad, while hoping the Blues slip up in the English toplight title race
Alex Iwobi has revealed that he enjoys playing in the no. 10 position for Arsenal.
With Mesut Ozil, absent through illness in the Gunner’s 2-0 English Premier League win over Crystal Palace, the 20-year-old was moved to the central attacking midfielder position. And repaid Arsene Wenger’s faith by sealing the victory with his second league goal of the season.
The Nigeria international who spent his youth days playing behind the striker said he prefers featuring in the much-coveted position and keeps learning to be at his best in that area.

]"It (No. 10) is where I have grown up playing and where I enjoy playing the most but wherever I am put on the pitch, I will do my best and whenever I get told to play any position I give 100 per cent,” Iwobi told Evening Standard.
"There are a lot of players who can play No.10; a lot of ball players in the team. Every day in training I am always learning and trying to add it to my game."

Asked about his
plans and expectations for the new year, the midfielder said: "I haven't looked that far ahead.
"I concentrate on every game and taking it game by game. I don't know, I just have to wait and see.
"On the team's behalf we are focusing more on ourselves and our performance.
"Hopefully if Chelsea slip up, they slip up but we have to make sure we win to keep up the title race. The games are coming thick and fast; we just have to prepare the same.

"We have got the momentum, we are confident now and hopefully we can keep up our winning streak. I'm just trying to do the best I can.
"If the team does well that is the main thing,” he concluded.

--goal
That's why I gbadun you.straight from the young man's mouth.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 10:32pm On Nov 11, 2017
Omo, did you hear me anywhere said that he Aina was fantastic? Please read again, I called him "a decent LB." No, he wasn't fantastic but, based on what I saw yesterday, he was head and shoulders above Echiejile, both offensively and defensively. And you gotta consider that this is his real debut .... I wouldn't count the previous two cameo appearances.

O pari

somehow:
Aina wasn't fantastic yesterday, he was just average bro, he needs to do more if he wants to send Ederson permanently to the bench. Can't really say he did badly cos the pitch surface made a mess for some of them.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:33pm On Nov 11, 2017
mank1234:
Congo DR almost made it but for the draw against Tunisia at home. They were actually leading 2:0 in that match and could have won but for few minutes of loss of focus.
That lack of determination cost them the WC ticket
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 10:33pm On Nov 11, 2017
Yes, it would definitely have an impact ... especially, if yesterday was the first time he was playing with a face mask.

O pari

kennysville:

I agree. Have u noticedthat when you wear glasses or shades, u seem to have issues hearing what people say at once? If you dont believe me, you are welcome to try.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:35pm On Nov 11, 2017
ChrisKels:

Be like power dun shift oo. Three North Africans and two West Africans nawa o. West Africa should please wake up oo.
CIV and Ghana F'd up big time.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:37pm On Nov 11, 2017
forgiveness:

The same Saido Mane was one time the best player in the Austrian league before he went to EPL.
That guy is a machine both in scoring and setting up teammates.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:42pm On Nov 11, 2017
Apparently Tammy Abraham didn't pull up trees with his performance last night.
I understand he completed only 4 out of his 9 attempted passes. Another performance like this, could be bye bye to Baghdad to his international career.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 10:52pm On Nov 11, 2017
goldfish80:
I understand he completed only 4 out of his 9 attempted passes. Another performance like this, could be bye bye to Baghdad on his international career.

D guy was awful jare,very irritating to d eye

I knw sabi wetin dey spectacular abt d guy wet ppu dey shout,if not for our own strikers who refuse to put dier thinking cap on angry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:53pm On Nov 11, 2017
goldfish80:
I understand he completed only 4 out of his 9 attempted passes. Another performance like this, could be bye bye to Baghdad on his international career.

If he misses Russia, he would have thrown away a golden opportunity to easily play at the WC. No guarantee, he will be in the reckoning in 4 years time.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2075) (2076) (2077) (2078) (2079) (2080) (2081) ... (16156) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kendrick9(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.