Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,382 members, 7,853,700 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 09:57 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2122) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11888098 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2119) (2120) (2121) (2122) (2123) (2124) (2125) ... (16268) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 9:52pm On Nov 14, 2017
Fantastic result real confidence boosting win. The boys should not get overconfident hard work starts now. So happy that brian tyrone prove their worth good one. Akpeyi Sha he makes ezenwa look like Buffon I really hope this is the last we see of him in the national team. But this our coach is so not tactical beating argentina by only four goals imagine!

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi879: 9:53pm On Nov 14, 2017
Icon4s:

To be candid with Brian Idowu's performance today, Aina is left floating. Do we take him to right back or leave him to fight with Echiejile and Idowu at LB?

Brian Idowu has something going for him and it played out today: He is based in Russia. He will definitely be very comfortably with the weather and also many of the pitches. He right now stands a better chance of being in Russia than Aina.

Echejile is the one in danger of missing out. There's also the option of moving Shehu to midfield to free up a place for Aina. It all depends on if Aina can maintain his great form with his club.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 9:53pm On Nov 14, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Ancelotti stayed. Won the Premier League and FA Cup in his first season.
I'm sorry

As pointed out earlier I confused him with Hiddink

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 9:54pm On Nov 14, 2017
Coming down from 2-nil,against an argies shows d team has improved tremendously, rohr is working,he might lose some matches in d future,no doubt, but je has improved d team, so those calling him a less tactical,corrupt coach should tender an apology to rohr grin

Having said dt,from dis game, we already knw 16players going to world cup,maybe for argument sake,I knw some peeps here would still b pushing for martins,uche,osaze,aiyenugba et al and its obvious dey won't go anywhere,maybe as a Spectator,dey re welcome

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi879: 9:55pm On Nov 14, 2017
Akpeyi is such an odd guy. My friend in SA says he's a good keeper and doesn't understand why he's always nervous when he plays with us. Maybe the guy needs a psychologist or something.

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:56pm On Nov 14, 2017
Curtisaxel27:
I only have one advice for Rohr

Stop starting slow.

Or may concede more than we can come back from.

O parry.
I also said it too .somehow did also. Its not good.that's just the truth.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:57pm On Nov 14, 2017
@mikel_john_obi:
“We played a new system today we never played before so we struggled to find our feet in the first half but at the break, the coach spoke to us and we corrected our mistakes which helped us to fight back. Our team is still work in progress.”

12 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 9:58pm On Nov 14, 2017
Certitude:

Hahaha
he was right about the personnel though

WWhen the 2 people he mentioned were removed in the 2nd half, the game experienced an upward surge
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:59pm On Nov 14, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

Lol... Babatunde wont forget his easily grin

chai even me, that thing was gruesome.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:02pm On Nov 14, 2017
Curtisaxel27:
I am happy for the A-rated friendly.

Mediocres/ backdoor guys a.k.a egunje candidates are being exposed.

Akpeyi has no business with the GWG shirt.

Ainas overrated.

Ebuehi is pure class.

Iheanacho is our only FK taker.

Mikel is holds the keys to our midfield.

Musa's best days are behind him.

And Idowu is a gem.....not many players score with thier first touch in thier first game.

O parry and Finito.
Don't be so quick to dismiss any player. That's the lesson this match should teach us. Everybody -except akpeyi wet him village people dey follow up and down- is ready to fight.

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:04pm On Nov 14, 2017
elyte89:
Coming down from 2-nil,against an argies shows d team has improved tremendously, rohr is working,he might lose some matches in d future,no doubt, but je has improved d team, so those calling him a less tactical,corrupt coach should tender an apology to rohr grin

Having said dt,from dis game, we already knw 16players going to world cup,maybe for argument sake,I knw some peeps here would still b pushing for martins,uche,osaze,aiyenugba et al and its obvious dey won't go anywhere,maybe as a Spectator,dey re welcome

I am not changing my stance on the tactics point. The first half showed this. However, this also forced Rohr to use his thinking cap and he used it well. Argentina bossed and controlled the first half. We played into their hands.

The second half shows we can play better with more sound tactics.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:04pm On Nov 14, 2017
kingphilip:

WWhen the 2 people he mentioned were removed in the 2nd half, the game experienced an upward surge
But I've always told him don't say the coach is bad tactically. One can point out lapses ,make suggestions and observations but don't label him inept because he's not had the time yet for such conclusive judgement to be passed on him. See, In the space of an hour a bad coach went on to become a good coach . that's why i say don't stick labels on people. They will surprise you.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 10:08pm On Nov 14, 2017
gringringringringrin

2018 World Cup: Ike Shorunmu suggests Nigeria’s first choice goalkeeper SPORT

Published on November 14, 2017

By John Owen Nwachukwu

Former Super Eagles goalkeeper Ike Shorunmu has said that Ikechukwu Ezenwa is good enough to be the Super Eagles number 1 goalkeeper.

Shorunmu, who spoke to Complete Sports, noted that Ezenwa can be Eagles first-choice keeper at the Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup despite calls for the recall of the retired Vincent Enyeama.
In recent games, coach Gernot Rohr has preferred Ezenwa in goal ahead of the likes of Daniel Akpeyi, Dele Alampasu and Dele Ajiboye.

Ezenwa’s came under criticism for his poor display in last Friday’s fixture against Algeria with some already clamouring for the return of the experienced Enyeama ahead of the World Cup.

Shorunmu insisted the former junior international is good enough to maintain his position between the sticks at the mundial.
He said, “Footballers have off days and I don’t think it is fair for anyone to crucify Ezenwa on the basis of his performance in just one game.
“He did well in all the previous games and we need to encourage him and not castigate him.
“I believe he has all the ability to become even better that is if we all give him our support and not crucify him.”

Source: Daily post.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 10:09pm On Nov 14, 2017
Mujtahida:

Its easy to criticize. I would rather believe in my national team and be disappointed than go watch a match expecting Nigeria to lose.its never in my DNA. Even if we are playing the best team, I expect us to win even though we might end up losing. That believe is what makes it exciting for me.

I could remember a day I was seeing super eagle match and guy next to me was shouting Nigeria will lose.. I was very angry almost kicked him... Just stood up from his side... Sat in another place... I can't just fathom that thinking of we losing any match...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 10:14pm On Nov 14, 2017
edi879:
Akpeyi is such an odd guy. My friend in SA says he's a good keeper and doesn't understand why he's always nervous when he plays with us. Maybe the guy needs a psychologist or something.

He doesn't need Nada! He's scared of making mistake n eventually made that mistake

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:14pm On Nov 14, 2017
BascoVanVeli:
@mikel_john_obi:
“We played a new system today we never played before so we struggled to find our feet in the first half but at the break, the coach spoke to us[b] and we corrected our mistakes which helped us to fight back. Our team is still work in progress.”
This is the coach that it was said that it's possible that its the players that tells him which formation to play.

One thing is this: Rohr did not panic. He was ready to live or die by the new formation. All over social media,WhatsApp groups people were saying he should change to our usual 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 and if they were the coach they would have changed. At a time I wanted him to charge up and down like sampaoli. But the man kept faith ,changed personnel, got the result as well as an outstanding second half performance ,learned some vital lessons,gained flexibility for the team. He's not perfect.he can never be.

10 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by soetanoreoluwa(m): 10:16pm On Nov 14, 2017
BascoVanVeli:
@mikel_john_obi:
“We played a new system today we never played before so we struggled to find our feet in the first half but at the break, the coach spoke to us and we corrected our mistakes which helped us to fight back. Our team is still work in progress.”

Thank you igwe! I love that working in progress!

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by pyrex23(m): 10:18pm On Nov 14, 2017
Curtisaxel27:
I am happy for the A-rated friendly.

Mediocres/ backdoor guys a.k.a egunje candidates are being exposed.

Akpeyi has no business with the GWG shirt.

Aina is overrated.

Ebuehi is pure class.

Iheanacho is our only FK taker.

Mikel is holds the keys to our midfield.

Musa's best days are behind him.

And Idowu is a gem.....not many players score with thier first touch in thier first game.

O parry and Finito.
Play shehu in d lb nd lets see how he does..
Aina should tried in rb position too b4 making any conclusion.. haba..

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:22pm On Nov 14, 2017
edi879:

Echejile is the one in danger of missing out. There's also the option of moving Shehu to midfield to free up a place for Aina. It all depends on if Aina can maintain his great form with his club.

That midfield is already choked up. If Aina wants to make it to Russia he must prove he is better than one of or both of Shehu and Aina.

What can even make things worse or let me say more competitive for the RB position is if Rohr chooses to adopt the 3-5-2 he played today. It means a player like Victor Moses would have to contest for the RWB position of which he would be favorite and that means we may just need one natural RB to be a back up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:23pm On Nov 14, 2017
edi879:

That midfield is already choked up. If Aina wants to make it to Russia he must prove he is better than one of or both of Shehu and Ebuehi.

What can even make things worse or let me say more competitive for the RB position is if Rohr chooses to adopt the 3-5-2 he played today. It means a player like Victor Moses would have to contest for the RWB position of which he would be favorite and that means we may just need one from the RBs to be a back up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:23pm On Nov 14, 2017
Mujtahida:

This is the coach that it was said that it's possible that its Mikel that tells him which formation to play.

One thing is this: Rohr did not panic. He was ready to live or die by the new formation. All over social media,WhatsApp groups people were saying he should change to our usual 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 and if they were the coach they would have changed. At a time I wanted him to charge up and down like sampaoli. But the man kept faith ,changed personnel, got the result as well as an outstanding second half performance ,learned some vital lessons,gained flexibility for the team. He's not perfect.he can never be.

I do not remember anyone saying Mikel Obi tells Rohr which formation to play. What I remembered was saying Mikel Obi told Mikel Agu to seat deep and shield the defence. That was after Agu having problems charging at the opponents in the midfield
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:24pm On Nov 14, 2017
soetanoreoluwa:

I could remember a day I was seeing super eagle match and guy next to me was shouting Nigeria will lose.. I was very angry almost kicked him... Just stood up from his side... Sat in another place... I can't just fathom that thinking of we losing any match...
You carry your leg ,stress yourself to go and watch your team expecting them to lose. It'd hard for me to comprehend.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 10:25pm On Nov 14, 2017
Icon4s:
Well, Akpeyi messed himself up by himself. His lack of composure again consumed him like a flame. Uzoho showed more confidence, though the defense became more composed after a tension soaked first quarter of the game. I no know why dem dey fear Argentina like that.

Rohr would have selection issues with the full backs.
He will have to make tough decisions as to who to drop.

Brian Idowu is ahead of Echiejile and Aina. I fear for Echiejile more so that he is not a versatile player. Players who are versatile are more sought after in modern day football.

In Shehu and Ebuehi our RB problem has been sorted out. Aina could also be given a shot at RB. But having 3 RB at the WC? Hmmm....At least one will need to drop.

Balogun had another slow start today. Ekong seems to have become the leader of the defense.

Iheanacho is a fighter. He played as though he was 2 players in one. Iwobi is pure class. No doubt an asset to this team. And of course Mikel remains the chief orchestrator.

Ndidi had a great game Ogu was a bit quiet but he covered his own part of the pitch especially in the second half.

The 3-4-3: This set up will definitely not favor the natural wingers as they will now have to fight for shirts with the RBs. Baring any injuries Moses is more than likely to be accommodated leaving one spot for the Full backs to play as wing backs.

Mikel-Iwobi-Iheanacho combo is a partnership that works.

Overall, a great game.

For those doubting Rohr's tactical abilities to lead this team in the WC, I think he has proven a lot tonight.

Congratulations Nigeria.

You said nothing about Awaziem. Or is his performance today not worth acknowledging??

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 10:26pm On Nov 14, 2017
kingphilip:

Are you trying to make him kul...He was certain we would know how tactically inept the coach was... Was he the one who told the coach to make those changes...Non of us here knows than Rohr... If you do, get a coaching job already...Cats everywhere forming coach.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 10:27pm On Nov 14, 2017
Mickael2:

this man sef grin grin grin
You b kul guy sha...I been don vex...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:29pm On Nov 14, 2017
BascoVanVeli:
A super club better sign Mikel on loan. The man is world class end of story.
Did you ever mention this before today?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:31pm On Nov 14, 2017
edi879:

I am a follower of the SA PSL.
Akpeyi is never nervous.
Go watch some of his PSL games and you'll know why the coaching crew still kept faith with him.

That decision he took today to pick up the ball outside the 18 yards box shows that those his village people followed him to Russia for this friendly.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:33pm On Nov 14, 2017
junnyjake:

You said nothing about Awaziem. Or is his performance today not worth acknowledging??

I totally forgot only to remember later. Not much of highlights about him, though he covered well for the RWBs.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:35pm On Nov 14, 2017
Mickael2:

those are the keywords. [/b] iRohr is the type of manager that comes to training and the players will say 'we already know what we are doing today, we are here to train with a 4-2-3-1 formation, these are members of the first team and these are members of the second team', and he will just nod. That is bad because one injury or if a team manages to find the cure to that present formation we crumble. Siasia-2008 Olympics without Taiwo and Mikel=2nd place, 2016 Olympics without a host of players still=3rd place. Rohr is not tactically.... No make me start this argument sha.
Goodjoe I am referring to the bolded.granted I made the error of saying Mikel but doesn't take away the point.

Mickael2 sorry for the mention. Nothing personal. I just wanted to make the point without mentioning you but goodjoe forced my hand. Just know that I respect and even enjoy your tactical analysis.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:36pm On Nov 14, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

I do not remember anyone saying Mikel Obi tells Rohr which formation to play. What I remembered was saying Mikel Obi told Mikel Agu to seat deep and shield the defence. That was after Agu having problems charging at the opponents in the midfield
I have referenced where I picked up that from

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:39pm On Nov 14, 2017
Icon4s:

I am a follower of the SA PSL.
Akpeyi is never nervous.
Go watch some of his PSL games and you'll know why the coaching crew still kept faith with him.

That decision he took today to pick up the ball outside the 18 yards box shows that those his village people followed him to Russia for this friendly.

It is a paradox. In SA, he is more composed.. When he wears the Super Eagles jersey... fear overtakes him
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 10:40pm On Nov 14, 2017
aodis:
ENG - BRA where is tammy? grin grin
That guy should count himself lucky if he ever makes the English WC squad, let alone playing.

What the hell made you think choosing England where you aren't needed one bit ahead an African soccer nation where you're 95 % guaranteed a WC place and international silverware and trophy in future.

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2119) (2120) (2121) (2122) (2123) (2124) (2125) ... (16268) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Nomyth, M7even(m), waffiboi, Jojodjo, RichardKajola(m), Mujtahida, USAfall2024, DrYa, kennysville(m), ChrisKels, gbengaolu360, mrwilliams9, Posh(m), Pidginwhisper, lbrichman2, a4turitoroman, Kayyy, foxman04, Ihenzy(m), Bazkanova, DynamoDeGreat, paulos8, superbloke(m), samdolad(m), enlady(f), Napoleon55(m), Meliforme, Kog45(m), Christinu2, CornOak(m), Subzerooo, Philosopher1979, ddone, viccy12, Odunayaw(m), iamdynamite(m), ThanosKilla(m), sojious, Joebie, Taazenga(m) and 26 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.