Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,774 members, 7,817,165 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:34 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (217) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11664829 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) ... (16150) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OdenigboAroli(m): 2:50pm On Oct 29, 2016
Excellent list. It's beginning to feel like Christmas.
The only place we might have problem is the LWB... Smh at Echiejile.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MDDam: 3:22pm On Oct 29, 2016
Nigeria have dropped Turkey-based Musa Mohammed, while Victor Osimhen was not picked for next month’s World Cup qualifier against Algeria.

Musa has not been playing regularly for his Turkish club and that has now worked against him.

New call-ups are ADO Den Haag right fullback Tyronne Ebuehi and Russia-based defender Brian Idowu.

The full squad:

Goalkeepers: Carl Ikeme (Wolverhampton Wanders/ENG), Daniel Akpeyi (Chippa United/RSA), Dele Alampasu (Cesarence/POR)

Defenders: Elderson Echiejile (Standard Liege/BEL), Brian Idowu (FC Dynamo/RUS), Tyronne Ebuehi (ADO Den Haag/NED), Kenneth Omeruo (Alanyaspor/TUR), William Troost Ekong (FK Haugesund/NOR), Leon Balogun (Mainz 05/GER), Godfrey Obaboana (Rizespor/TUR), Uche Agbo (Granada CF/ESP)

Midfielders: Mikel Obi (Chelsea/ENG), Ogenyi Onazi (Trabzonspor/TUR), John Ogu (Hapoel Be'er Sheva/ISR), Shehu Abdullahi (/CYP), Wilfred Ndidi (Genk/BEL), Anderson Esiti (Gent/BEL)
Forwards: Kelechi Iheanacho (Manchester City/ENG), Odion Ighalo (Watford/ENG), Brown Ideye (Olympiacos/GRE), Alex Iwobi (Arsenal/ENG), Oghenekaro Etebo (Feirence/POR), Moses Simon (Gent/BEL), Ahmed Musa (Leicester City/ENG), Victor Moses (Chelsea/ENG)
http://africanfootball.com/news/659520/Musa-Mohammed-dropped-Osimhen-not-listed

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:36pm On Oct 29, 2016
A chat about (and with) Gernot

When the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF)
appointed Gernot Rohr, the former Bayern Munich
and Bordeaux defender, as the new manager of
the Super Eagles, I was less than enamoured with
the appointment.

With stints in Niger, Burkina Faso and Gabon
forming the bulk of the German’s national team
management experience, I wondered how that
qualified him to take on the biggest job in African
football and certainly one of the most difficult in
the world.

That the 63-year-old took over the national team
after the NFF made a dog’s breakfast of recruiting
Paul Le Guen, Cameroon’s manager at the 2010
World Cup, did not help matters either.

Anyone aware of my position on the current NFF
leadership, led by Amaju Pinnick, will be acutely
aware that I have been a trenchant critic of the
sharp nosedive that Nigerian football has taken,
since he and his executive committee members
took over the administrative reins in 2014.

But a conversation with Hardy Hasselbruch, an
old friend in Nuremburg and professional
colleague at Kicker, Germany’s top football
magazine – which I occasionally write for –
opened the door to my change of mind, on
Gernot’s suitability for the job.

“As a coach, he has sound knowledge of the
game and has a strong personality. But what is
even more important, Gernot is a very decent
human being,” Hardy told me.

Gernot Rohr

“I am quite surprised that he has taken on the
Nigeria job, knowing that many coaches before
him worked without being paid their salary,” he
laughed.

“If he is allowed to do his job, in the way that I
know he can do it, he will be successful in
Nigeria.”

Another person with knowledge of Rohr, owing to
the German’s playing and coaching experience
with Bordeaux, is my Paris-based friend, Frank
Simon of France Football, whose expertise on
African football – and the game in general – I respect greatly.

“As a coach, he was a good call for many clubs.
He is not a bigmouth and a very humble person.”

Hardy put me in touch with Gernot before he
signed a deal with the NFF, leading to a
subsequent exchange of messages, until we
finally had a one-on-one conversation at the Abuja
National Stadium on Wednesday, 5th October, for
the BBC World Service, a few days before
Nigeria’s World Cup qualifier in Zambia.

It left me impressed for several reasons.

First, Gernot is as eager to go to the 2018 World
Cup as Nigeria.
Despite being a well-respected
defender in Europe, during his 17-year playing
career, Gernot never made it to the game’s
premier tournament.

“Going to the World Cup is why I accepted this
very exciting challenge with Nigeria,” he told me.

“I would like my team to play against Germany.

“I have already coached at the Nations Cup with
two countries and I’ve also had the chance [at
Bordeaux] to coach Zinedine Zidane, one of the
biggest players in the world.

“And I played with Franz Beckenbauer and Gerd
Müller [whilst he was at Bayern]. I am missing
that feeling and I thought that by coming here, I could get it back.

“The passion for football is very big here. Nigeria
is a big football country. It is an honour for me to
coach this team.

“We have to work at the top level, all the time…
The players must be conscientious about their
responsibility, to be here for the country. It is a
bigger responsibility than when they are at their
clubs, because they are representing 180 million
people.”

Another revelation that left a positive impression
is the fact he claims money is a “secondary thing”
to him.

“I am here to coach a team. The salary is
secondary,” Rohr insists.

“I was, for 17 years, a professional player with
Bayern Munich and Bordeaux. Money is not my
problem. Even if the salary is not coming
immediately, I am not hungry. I can eat.”

That attitude could come in handy, especially
with an employer known for its abysmal record in
not promptly paying wages to its employees, as
Samson Siasia can readily attest to.

An insistence that his Nigerian assistants – Salisu
Yusuf and goalkeeper trainer, Alloy Agu – be given
improved contracts, also attests to his decency
and that he understands a harmonious team
environment is required to achieve World Cup
qualification.

But it is having the backbone to be unbending,
when it comes to enforcing the professional
management of the Super Eagles’ World Cup
campaign – a huge problem in the past – that will
be critical for Gernot.

He will have to be extremely firm,
uncompromising even, to ensure the high
standards he is demanding are met during a
lengthy qualifying campaign.

Clemens Westerhof, Nigeria’s most successful
foreign manager, once told me that to succeed
with the Super Eagles, he had to have “the skin
of an elephant” on his back.

Gernot will certainly need to borrow a leaf – or a
tough hide, rather – from Clemens, if he is to
accomplish his mission.

I hope Gernot has a successful sojourn with us.
The alternative for Nigeria – not qualifying for
Russia and missing out on international
tournament football for six successive years – is a
prospect too frightening to contemplate.

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/10/a-chat-about-and-with-gernot/

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:45pm On Oct 29, 2016
Okay... Here it is... The official list. smiley

- Isaac Success out due to injury.

- No Osimhen afterall.

- Uche Abgo picked alongside Oboabona.

- Ebuehi and Idowu are the new call-ups.

- Anderson Esiti gets in... Cool! Wasn't on the speculated list sef...

- John Ogu and Alampasu make returns. So happy with this Alampasu call especially.

- Musa Mohammed need a club miracle to have a chance of playing for us again. He's such a good player but this is the Super Eagles. He's young and needs to be a regular at his club. Hopefully the januray transfer window fixes this.

MDDam:
Nigeria have dropped Turkey-based Musa Mohammed, while Victor Osimhen was not picked for next month’s World Cup qualifier against Algeria.

Musa has not been playing regularly for his Turkish club and that has now worked against him.

New call-ups are ADO Den Haag right fullback Tyronne Ebuehi and Russia-based defender Brian Idowu.

The full squad:

Goalkeepers: Carl Ikeme (Wolverhampton Wanders/ENG), Daniel Akpeyi (Chippa United/RSA), Dele Alampasu (Cesarence/POR)

Defenders: Elderson Echiejile (Standard Liege/BEL), Brian Idowu (FC Dynamo/RUS), Tyronne Ebuehi (ADO Den Haag/NED), Kenneth Omeruo (Alanyaspor/TUR), William Troost Ekong (FK Haugesund/NOR), Leon Balogun (Mainz 05/GER), Godfrey Obaboana (Rizespor/TUR), Uche Agbo (Granada CF/ESP)

Midfielders: Mikel Obi (Chelsea/ENG), Ogenyi Onazi (Trabzonspor/TUR), John Ogu (Hapoel Be'er Sheva/ISR), Shehu Abdullahi (/CYP), Wilfred Ndidi (Genk/BEL), Anderson Esiti (Gent/BEL)
Forwards: Kelechi Iheanacho (Manchester City/ENG), Odion Ighalo (Watford/ENG), Brown Ideye (Olympiacos/GRE), Alex Iwobi (Arsenal/ENG), Oghenekaro Etebo (Feirence/POR), Moses Simon (Gent/BEL), Ahmed Musa (Leicester City/ENG), Victor Moses (Chelsea/ENG)
http://africanfootball.com/news/659520/Musa-Mohammed-dropped-Osimhen-not-listed

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:46pm On Oct 29, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Okay... Here it is... The official list. smiley

- Isaac Success out due to injury.

- No Osimhen afterall.

- Uche Abgo picked ahead of Oboabona.

- Ebuehi and Idowu are the new call-ups.

- Anderson Esiti gets in... Cool! Wasn't on the speculated list sef...

- John Ogu and Alampasu make returns. So happy with this Alampasu call especially.

- Musa Mohammed need a club miracle to have a chance of playing for us again. He's such a good player but this is the Super Eagles. He's young and needs to be a regular at his club. Hopefully the januray transfer window fixes this.

This is also not official.

The official list has not been released.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:49pm On Oct 29, 2016
It may be it.... But I know it's because the official twitter handle of the NFF and the NFF site hasn't released it just yet. smiley

tbaba1234:

This is also not official.

The official list has not been released.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:55pm On Oct 29, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
It may be it.... But I know it's because the official twitter handle of the NFF and the NFF site hasn't released it just yet. smiley

Reporters are simply getting leaks from the nff.. let them release it officially.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:55pm On Oct 29, 2016
No Clean Sheet For Alampasu This Season
But Here Is Why Rohr Called Him Up For Algeria Clash

Former Nigeria youth international shot stopper
Dele Alampasu has been handed a recall by
manager of the Nigeria senior national team
Gernot Rohr, ahead of the 2018 World Cup
qualifiers against Algeria.

As reported by Owngoalnigeria.com the on loan
CD Feirense goalkepper is in the list of 25 players submitted by Rohr for the November 12 tie, an inclusion that shocked many.

The 19 year old is still searching for his first clean sheet of the season after five league games for Portuguese third division side Casarense , where he is on a six month loan.

Research done by our editorial team has it that he got the nod, as the German coach of the team always wants his third choice goalkepper to be the youngest among the goalkeepers at his disposal.

Alampasu stands little or no chance of been in
goal against Algeria, just like Rio 2016 Olympic
shot stopper Emmanuel Daniel in the last two
games of the team.

Carl Ikeme and Daniel Akpeyi are highly favoured to be between the sticks for Nigeria against Algeria in Uyo, with Alampasu having an outside chance of making the 18 man match day squad.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/10/29/no-clean-sheet-for-alampasu-this-season-but-here-is-why-rohr-called-him-up-for-algeria-clash/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:56pm On Oct 29, 2016
You're right Sir..... Let's wait for the ultimate confirmation. smiley

Wonder why they are taking so long.... sad

tbaba1234:

Reporters are simply getting leaks from the nff.. let them release it officially.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:01pm On Oct 29, 2016
Arsene Wenger Defends Iwobi After Poor
Showing In Arsenal Win Over Sunderland

Manager of Arsenal Arsene Wenger has jumped to the defence of 20 year old Nigerian forward Alex Iwobi, after his disappointing showing in Arsenal 4-1 win over Sunderland.

Arsenal romped to the top of the table with the
win over Sunderland, courtesy of a brace apiece
from Olivier Giroud and Alexis Sanchez.

Iwobi who was praised by Manchester United
legendary manager Sir Alex Ferguson had a quiet game against Sunderland, which lead to the manager substituting him for Olivier Giroud, who ended up scoring a brace.

Although Iwobi twice came close to scoring in the game. He struggled to keep up with the pace of the rest of his teammates and was twice caught out of position by cross field passes from
Sunderland.

However, Wenger believes that Iwobi’s perceived dip in form is nothing to worry about, as this phase is always expected from a player still learning the ropes.

”He is 20 years old and in his first full season as a first team player. Spells like this are inevitable at this stage in his development. But that doesn’t mean he won’t come good” He said.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/10/29/arsene-wenger-defends-iwobi-after-poor-showing-in-arsenal-win-over-sunderland/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:04pm On Oct 29, 2016
RUMOURS: MARSEILLE WANT CHELSEA
MIDFIELDER MIKEL

The French outfit are preparing a January raid for the Nigeria international, who is set to be out of contract at Stamford Bridge next summer

Marseille are exploring the possibility of signing
John Obi Mikel from Chelsea during the winter
transfer window, according to TuttoMercatoWeb.

The Nigeria international has entered the final
year of his contract at Stamford Bridge, so is due to become a free agent next summer.

That situation is likely to leave Chelsea open to
offers in January, with Mikel having fallen out of
favour again under Antonio Conte.

The 29-year-old has spent 10 years with the
Blues, making well over 350 appearances and
collecting numerous major honours, but it
appears his days in west London are numbered.

[img]http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Goal_Nigeria/8d/4e/john-obi-mikel_4q70h02v8tgp17vzegp6na522.jpg?t=-1368227513[/img]

Source: http://m.goal.com/s/en-gb/news/2892/transfer-zone/2016/10/29/28965732/rumours-marseille-want-chelsea-midfielder-mikel

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 4:05pm On Oct 29, 2016
This is not super eagles related but it's such a captivating article about Raiola. I thought to share.

https://www.ft.com/content/548155cc-9bcf-11e6-b8c6-568a43813464
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zoboizee: 4:08pm On Oct 29, 2016
Iwobi has been a bit poor of late. Against Reading & today. He seems to have slowed down in pace. And his shooting needs some polishing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:08pm On Oct 29, 2016
AHMED "THE SPEEDSTER" MUSAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And he scared me for a while when he stayed down.... Fine goal joorr... I know say u go make us proud... grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:12pm On Oct 29, 2016
Accessed and "saved".... smiley

Thanks Boss. Will go through it tonight... wink

Mino Raiola... The world's no.1 super agent... Hehehehe... If pesin no know this guy ehn... That pesin no dey follow soccer wella. This must be worth a read. smiley

joseph1013:
This is not super eagles related but it's such a captivating article about Raiola. I thought to share.

https://www.ft.com/content/548155cc-9bcf-11e6-b8c6-568a43813464

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:19pm On Oct 29, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
You're right Sir..... Let's wait for the ultimate confirmation. smiley

Wonder why they are taking so long.... sad

I believe Rohr is trying to make his mind up on certain players.. Isaac Success says he will be fit, Watford say, he will not. Oboabana or Agbo...etc.. By the end of the weekend games, he will make his picks.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:20pm On Oct 29, 2016
zoboizee:
Iwobi has been a bit poor of late. Against Reading & today. He seems to have slowed down in pace. And his shooting needs some polishing.

That is expected from young players.. He will be fine.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:21pm On Oct 29, 2016
And what about Oboabona?? Who is he up against in turkey? Loolllll

Come on! This is the Dreaded "MSN" mehn!!!
Messi, Suarez And Neymar Could Decide
Granada Uche Agbo Inclusion In Super Eagles Squad For Algeria Tie

Manager of the Nigeria senior national team
Gernot Rohr will be watching Granada’s game
against Barcelona with keen interest on how
Nigerian defender cum midfielder Uche Agbo
performs against the likes of Lionel Messi, Luis
Suarez and Neymar.

A decision on if the on loan Watford defender will be picked ahead of Godfrey Obaboana will be made this weekend after Granada’s la-liga game against Barcelona, as Nigeria get set to release the list of players for the all important World Cup 2018 qualifiers tie against Nigeria.

Technical adviser of the Super Eagles Gernot Rohr is yet to decide on who to pick between the duo as both players are battling for the remaining one central defence slot, with Kenneth Omeruo,Leon Balogun and William Troost Ekong guaranteed to be picked.

Agbo who was a part of the team that defeated
Zambia 2-1 away in Ndola but didn’t get to play
in the game could join the list of players axed for
the tie by the German coach of the team.

However a strong showing against Barcelona
could give him an edge over Caykur Rizespor
Godfrey Obaboana who is on standby, waiting to
pounce if Agbo slips against the Catalans.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/10/29/messi-suarez-and-neymar-could-decide-granada-uche-agbo-inclusion-in-super-eagles-squad-for-algeria-tie/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 4:22pm On Oct 29, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

And he scared me for a while when he stayed down.... Fine goal joorr... I know say u go make us proud... grin
musa dn dae take style bench slimani o
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 4:22pm On Oct 29, 2016
TheSuperNerd:

lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 4:58pm On Oct 29, 2016
jotey:
lol
i doubt because slimani didn't make the bench.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:08pm On Oct 29, 2016
Musa is rising strongly indeed. smiley

His bravery to get in ahead of Lloris and Kyle walker to smash in that equaliser today must have gotten Ranieri's attention big time. Musa is on the rise... His style of play will see him do well in England... All he needed was time to settle in.

But as for benching Slimani... Looolll.. I don't think so ooo... Like Certitude already said, Slimani didn't even make the bench possibly because Ranieri has his eyes on UCL also..... If Slimani is out injured with a minor knock, I do not know... But I believe it's the UCL factor and Ulloa (started from the bench) needs to get games as he's fit and ready too.

jotey:
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 5:36pm On Oct 29, 2016
TheSuperNerd:
Musa is rising strongly indeed. smiley

His bravery to get in ahead of Lloris and Kyle walker to smash in that equaliser today must have gotten Ranieri's attention big time. Musa is on the rise... His style of play will see him do well in England... All he needed was time to settle in.

But as for benching Slimani... Looolll.. I don't think so ooo... Like Certi.tude already said, Slimani didn't even make the bench possibly because Ranieri has his eyes on UCL also..... If Slimani is out injured with a minor knock, I do not know... But I believe it's the UCL factor and Ulloa (started from the bench) needs to get games as he's fit and ready too.

I was telling someone earlier that if he continues this way, he might start against Algeria.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:42pm On Oct 29, 2016
AIG07:

less I repeat thesame thing Sir. Blueto said.

The two players I mentioned represents d group of players who do not deserve call up but mostly found on indigenous coachies list.

You 're now portraying late keshi, siasia as saints of this system. But you've forgotten so quick that t was d same keshi who put Agbim between d sticks, went to d worldcup with ukoh, azeez, ameobi... n siasia who didn't invite a fit n informed I. success but went all d way to start Aminu ahead of Iwobi n Nacho in Alexandra claiming that de're ain't mature enough.

Rohr is dedicated to his job and he is not handling t wit levity(an I don't care attitude mostly found wit d indig.)

I know you might say our owns are made to work under harsh condition of empty stomach. Fine. But can you tell who catered for Rohr's recent trip to England? I'm doubt it is d poverty-ridden nff.

There are people quick to critique but many will not point the positives. In the Chan, Keshi carried Alampasu but he was a Teenage keeper. About seventeen. This is over two years later. We did not have the players then. By the 2012 AFCON, Iheanacho has not played U17. We had a drought in players. If Keshi was coach now, you can bet Iheanacho and co. will make the list.

And, is inviting Azeez bad? I disagree. It is easy to say invite to say Keshi called this or that. How many could draw a good list for the Super Eagles then?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:43pm On Oct 29, 2016
Leicester City Manager Reveals Training
Drills That Has Helped Musa Goal Scoring Abilities

Coach of Leicester City Claudio Ranieri has
revealed the drills Nigerian forward Ahmed Musa
went through that has helped him score in two
consecutive games for the champions.

Musa followed up his strike in the 3-1 win against Crystal Palace last season with another in their 1-1 draw against Tottenham Hotspur in
Saturday’s Premier League clash at White Hart
Lane.

Ranieri who backed the former CSKA Moscow
forward when he was struggling to get among
the goals for Leicester City, revealed extra drills
were introduced for Musa.

”He worked really hard in training to get to
where he is now. A lot of work went down on him during training specifically on his movement around the box using his pace to get behind. He also worked on his shooting” He said.

”I never doubted his abilities. I knew he will
adapt to the league, now his learning process is
over. It’s time to deliver and he is doing so at the moment”.

Source: http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/10/29/leicester-city-manager-reveals-training-drills-that-has-helped-musa-goal-scoring-abilities/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:46pm On Oct 29, 2016
You're not outta line to make such analysis. It's indeed a possibility. Only that he is in direct competition with Simon Moses and Victor Moses to start against Algeria because Alex Iwobi will surely start.

Certitude:

I was telling someone earlier that if he continues this way, he might start against Algeria.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:46pm On Oct 29, 2016
AIG07:

less I repeat thesame thing Sir. Blueto said.

The two players I mentioned represents d group of players who do not deserve call up but mostly found on indigenous coachies list.

You 're now portraying late keshi, siasia as saints of this system. But you've forgotten so quick that t was d same keshi who put Agbim between d sticks, went to d worldcup with ukoh, azeez, ameobi... n siasia who didn't invite a fit n informed I. success but went all d way to start Aminu ahead of Iwobi n Nacho in Alexandra claiming that de're ain't mature enough.

Rohr is dedicated to his job and he is not handling t wit levity(an I don't care attitude mostly found wit d indig.)

I know you might say our owns are made to work under harsh condition of empty stomach. Fine. But can you tell who catered for Rohr's recent trip to England? I'm doubt it is d poverty-ridden nff.

Apart from Inviting Isaac Success, tell me what player Rohr added that is so above the list of Salisu Yusuf? Etebo and Ekong were in the team before Rohr. Keshi called up Leon Balogun. Musa, S. Moses, V. Moses were before him.

I repeat, it I the refreshing coaching style and attacking philosophy we gained. Most of our top players is from their positions in clubs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:47pm On Oct 29, 2016
tbaba1234:

Even Keshi had serious bias..

Keshi did not have good players in the scene. The guy did a lot of fantastic call-ups and made brave decisions we benefited from.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 6:50pm On Oct 29, 2016
Stats Watch:

Alex "The Great" Iwobi has now overtaken
former Super Eagles hero Julius Aghahowa for the number of appearances in the Premier League..... smiley

Aghahowa stands on 20 apps.

Iwobi is up to 21 apps.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:32pm On Oct 29, 2016
EXCLUSIVE: Why Nosa Igiebor And Anderson Esiti Were Axed By Gernot Rohr For Algeria Clash

As the Super Eagles of Nigeria step up their preparations for the World Cup 2018 qualifiers game against Algeria, Owngoalnigeria.com has gotten an insight as to why the duo of Anderson Esiti and Nosa Igiebor were dropped from the list of players for the tie.

The duo as reported by Owngoalnigeria.com are not in the list of 25 players called up for the November 12 tie, which could have a big impact on Nigeria’s leadership of Group B.

Gent of Belgium midfield powerhouse Esiti, whose inclusion has generated lot of debates was dropped due to the presence of utility midfielders in Wilfred Ndidi and Shehu Abdullahi.

Ndidi and Abdullahi can both play as full backs aside their defensive midfield role, with Genk Ndidi also able to play in central defence unlike Esiti who is only at home playing as a defensive midfielder, a role Eddy Onazi has made his personal property since 2013.

Esiti’s pace was another deciding factor as he could slow down quick breaks, due to his lack of pace and inability to play a forward pass unlike the other players in his role.

Meanwhile Igiebor failed to sufficiently justify his call up to the team for the previous games against Tanzania and Zambia, with his performances against Akwa United and Plateau United in two friendly game, no where near what Rohr needs from his midfielder.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/10/29/exclusive-why-nosa-igiebor-and-anderson-esiti-were-axed-by-gernot-rohr-for-algeria-clash/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:38pm On Oct 29, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Keshi did not have good players in the scene. The guy did a lot of fantastic call-ups and made brave decisions we benefited from.
What of how he indirectly called Iheanacho “inexperienced” and ruled against his inclusion to the Super Eagles squad? How he eschewed Obafemi Martians who was doing well at that particular time? how he also ignored Ike Uche who was then banging goals for his club side? how he tarried till after Nigeria qualified for world cup before succumbing to pressure and included Peter Osaze, and so on?

undeniable!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 8:44pm On Oct 29, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

There are people quick to critique but many will not point the positives. In the Chan, Keshi carried Alampasu but he was a Teenage keeper. About seventeen. This is over two years later. We did not have the players then. By the 2012 AFCON, Iheanacho has not played U17. We had a drought in players. If Keshi was coach now, you can bet Iheanacho and co. will make the list.

And, is inviting Azeez bad? I disagree. It is easy to say invite to say Keshi called this or that. How many could draw a good list for the Super Eagles then?
Was Agbim the best goalkeeper in the entire Nigerian professional league then?

(1) (2) (3) ... (214) (215) (216) (217) (218) (219) (220) ... (16150) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Iview1 and 12 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.