Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,372 members, 7,829,959 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 02:11 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2216) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11753399 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2213) (2214) (2215) (2216) (2217) (2218) (2219) ... (16182) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 10:32pm On Nov 23, 2017
mank1234:

Report had it that Switzerland prior to 2014 draw hired a consultant to advice them on how to improve their ranking. They went up to 6th position and were seeded.

For African teams I meant.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eseose9(f): 10:32pm On Nov 23, 2017
tbaba1234:

Haha... Thank you sir
Congratulations sir
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:33pm On Nov 23, 2017
mank1234:

Report had it that Switzerland prior to 2014 draw hired a consultant to advice them on how to improve their ranking. They went up to 6th position and were seeded.

But they still had to win the big games to rise.

One major concern I have concerning our ranking is the home based Eagles.

The other time we beat Cameroon 4-0 and drew 1-1 away and were expecting to move up the ladder only for the CHAN team to lose to lowly Benin and our ranking dropped instead of improving.

Now CHAN is in January - February. And looking at the lowly rated teams in our group hope our ranking will not plumate further if we fail to win all 3 group matches?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eseose9(f): 10:38pm On Nov 23, 2017
Happy birthday TheGoodJoe

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:38pm On Nov 23, 2017
BascoVanVeli:

It is deeper than rankings this is how I feel about FIFA in general. I am sorry I just can't believe a draw v Algeria should naturally drop us so low, what if we had lost, 72? This ranking system is totally flawed, we are rewarding Cameroon for being crap ever since the AFCON.

If you cannot beat a team ranked over 20 places below you there is no way your ranking points will rise.

Argentina lost 97points for the loss to Nigeria, even though they won their last S/American qualifiers and beat Russia.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:41pm On Nov 23, 2017
Icon79:
Oh, tbaba1234's wife gave birth recently? Congratulations o, my broad. Abeg, mek sure you prepare good ofe nsala for madam, along with ji mmiri oku. It no easy o tongue

O pari

Children are a blessing from God, indeed you are blessed with that privileged and amazing responsibility.

Congratulations !!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 10:42pm On Nov 23, 2017
Naijaphobia, happy birthday to your little one, I pray he keeps putting smiles on your face.

Tbaba1234, congrats for the little girl coming into your home, she won't be the reason for you to be sad.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 10:43pm On Nov 23, 2017
tbaba1234:

Busy with father duties.. hahaha grin grin

Chai I can't wait to av this experience. Enjoy bro it's ur time. Next time, improve on ur striking abilities in order to score a brace. OK? I love braces
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by cozyfbaby: 10:45pm On Nov 23, 2017
Robinho has been sentence to 9yrs in prison for Rape

Robinho has been sentenced to nine years in prison after being found guilty of sexual assault.

Gazzetta dello Sport reveal the former Manchester City man robinho is one of a group of five which were found guilty of sexually assaulting an Albanian girl in a Milan night club on January 22, 2013.
Read more here: http://www.naijatrending.com.ng/gossip/robinho-sentence-9yrs-prison-sexual-assault/

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 10:45pm On Nov 23, 2017
Watched Samuel Adegbenro play for Rosenberg today. Seems to be the Go-To man of the team.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:49pm On Nov 23, 2017
If we try to free our minds of bias we will understand this FIFA ranking thing more.

International friendlies carry 1point while for African teams WC qualifiers carry 2.5 points. Meanwhile some teams won their WC qualifying games while we drew. The Argentina game carried only 1 point there is no way you can rise above teams like Senegal that won 2 WC qualifiers games. Morocco beat CIV, Burkina Faso and DR Congo also recorded wins. These are the teams that gained points and then moved there positions up.
In other parts of the world teams like Australia, Sweden, Peru won WC qualifying games. But we drew. How do you expect us to move above them.

We dropped 9places because we failed to beat Algeria.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 11:03pm On Nov 23, 2017
Joebie:
yea. same one. he has already played competitively in a Euro qualifier
. Alright
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 11:14pm On Nov 23, 2017
Joebie:
so the switch won't be possible anymore...
poor boy...I think it is time this young boys learn to think their future alright

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:19pm On Nov 23, 2017
Eseose9:
Happy birthday TheGoodJoe

Thank you so much. This means a lot. God bless you.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:22pm On Nov 23, 2017
komekn:

I would advise him to go to Everton because Firstly he will get much more game time in the first instance. Depending on the next Manager they get they may adopt a system that will suit his game. In addition he will be partnering with Bolasie on the right side who will enable him to play technically proficient football.

Shehu isn't 21, he needs game time not training time
. Considering what Liverpool will possibly pay for him can't imagine it to be above £10 million. I see players of £10 million plus ➕ rotting away in the U23's.

Shehu has no time to waist if he proves himself he will be bought by the big boys for bigger money. If he goes to Liverpool he will be competing with the kid who got MOTM of the match for England against Brazil. Can not see him displacing Gomez and or Clyne then you have Arnold Alexander. Three players who understand the EPL and he has a lot to learn. He should learn as while he is playing not warming the bench.

Fabian Delph and Mangala are still learning at Manchester City. So Shehu is not too old to learn. Make a move for a big club is the best move. If he succeeds, he reaches for the stars. If he does not, he still ends up an improved player and become a key player to a mid table team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:23pm On Nov 23, 2017
cozyfbaby:
Robinho has been sentence to 9yrs in prison for Rape

Robinho has been sentenced to nine years in prison after being found guilty of sexual assault.

Gazzetta dello Sport reveal the former Manchester City man robinho is one of a group of five which were found guilty of sexually assaulting an Albanian girl in a Milan night club on January 22, 2013.
Read more here: http://www.naijatrending.com.ng/gossip/robinho-sentence-9yrs-prison-sexual-assault/

This sent chills down my spine. What a way for one of the Golden boys of football to go down. I hope he stays strong.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:28pm On Nov 23, 2017
Famocious:
Congrats tbaba1234 on the arrival of your baby girl.
Happy birthday oga TheGoodjoe, I wish you many more awesome years ahead.

Thank you and God bless.

tbaba1234, may God bless you and your new daughter. May God make her a window of blessing to you.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:37pm On Nov 23, 2017
comodo:
Rohr, Nigeria Need A Unique Style Of Play Like “Palmwine Football” In Russia 2018
November 23, 2017018

With Russia 2018 around the corner, now is the time to start thinking about marketing Nigerian football as a premium product

Being a 57 year old nation, it is time for Nigeria to grow up and take her place at the country of mature countries. Nowhere is this more pertinent than on the football pitch where we have shown that we can compete with some of the best in the world.

Our national team the Super Eagles have been on the verge of achieving greatness for about two decades now but at no stage have they really shown that they are set to join the elite band of sides that have won the World Cup before. We may dazzle, flatter to deceive and now and again come up with brilliant results like our recent victory over Argentina but are nowhere near as good as the likes of Brazil, Germany, Italy, France, Holland, Argentina or Spain.

If we want to make this quantum leap, it is time among other things to work on our own unique brand of football and start selling it as a global brand. Brazil plays Samba Football, the Dutch gave us Total Football and Spain gave us Tika-Taka and I believe it is time for Palm Wine Football to make its way up there with them.

First of all, we have got to stop celebrating this win in a mere friendly and learn the lessons from the game. Argentina exposed a lot of flaws in our Eagles rear guard and we should be more interested in fixing before next June.

Nigerian football is based on pace, quick counter-attacks, physicality and athleticism and it is now time to turn this into a global brand. It is time the Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) packages this Palm Wine Football into a global brand as Rinus Michels did with Total Football and let it sell like a premium product.

Can you just imagine how many jerseys, kits, and memorabilia the NFF would sell globally if it could attract neutrals to fall in love with Nigerian football? Back in the 1990s when the likes of Austin Okocha, Nwankwo Kanu, George Finidi, Taribo West, Daniel Amokachi, Sunday Oliseh, et al wooed the world, it was common to see our green-white-green jerseys being worn by Europeans.

Today, that rarely happens but with the current crop of players at Gernot Rohr’s disposal, we may be on the cusp of something great. When I look at the likes of Mikel Obi, Victor Moses, Henry Onyekuru, Wilfred Ndidi, Kelechi Nwakali, Tyronne Ebuehi, William Ekong, Alex Iwobi, Francis Uzoho and Brian Idowu, I see a group of players who could become household names after Russia 2018.

Given the pace with which our Eagles launch counter-attacks and the devastating pace with which we can get the ball from box-to-box, we have a brand which appears unique to us.

When you add the physicality of Mikel Obi, Odion Ighalo and Leon Balogun into the mix, we can conjure a unique brand that will be as globally as popular as Samba or Total Football.
To make this work, however, a successful Eagles team is compulsory and I believe that at the very least, the team needs to get to the final of Russia 2018 to be taken seriously.

We are known for pace, strength and flair but we have got to add winning to the mix, which is why we simply have to make getting to the last four of next year’s World Cup a national objective.

I love the fact that we have some exciting young players full of flair coming through at the moment. Onyekuru, Nwakali, Iwobi, Ighalo and Ebuehi are players who can thrill audiences with clever one-twos on the edge of the area, dragbacks, Cruyff turns, nutmegs, back heels, etc, Add Mikel’s long rang passing to what they offer and we are in fact a very entertaining side.

All we need on top of wining is an appealing kit that fans will be happy to go out and purchase. No one wants to wear a kit that looks awful, so Nike need to be keyed into the agenda as well.

We maybe on the cusp of something historic here. Just imagine what good it would do for our national psyche if we could sell a brand of football to the international community. The feel good factor would almost certainly spread throughout every other aspect of our national life and serve as a catalyst for economic regeneration.

owngoalnigeria.com

Interesting article. Same thought came to me during the U17 World Cup in Chile we won coached by Amunike. When an analyst talked about Nigerian football, he mentioned we have a style that suits our players. A no-hold-bars offensive passing style. It was mostly about the Manu Garba set which he analysed their style. I thought, we can adopt this style to the National team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:38pm On Nov 23, 2017
tglobal:
Many congratulations to you tbaba1234, TheGoodJoe and Naijaphobia

Thank you and God bless. Congratulations also to Naijaphobia.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SerVik(m): 11:41pm On Nov 23, 2017
Joebie:
too late! He is no longer patriotic grin

Hollup, is the switch still possible?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:50pm On Nov 23, 2017
tbaba1234:

Thank you sir..

Congrats to thegoodjoe and naijaphobia 2.

Thank you and God bless.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:51pm On Nov 23, 2017
edi287:
Happy birthday Goodjoe
Congrats to Tbaba on his new baby girl.

Thank you and God bless.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:52pm On Nov 23, 2017
somehow:
HBD to you boss

Thank you and God bless.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 11:54pm On Nov 23, 2017
Happy Birthday,Sir The Goodjoe.
I wish you many more years and success in all your endeavours.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bishop88: 11:58pm On Nov 23, 2017
tbaba1234:
Congratulations sir..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:01am On Nov 24, 2017
Mujtahida:
Celebrations are rife on this thread today. Happy birthday to the goodjoe. Wish you many good years. Naijaphobia your son will do you proud. Tbaba1234 congratulations on your new born baby girl.

Thank you and God bless.
cc: Danycrusoe, KevinDein, DrLikita12
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:02am On Nov 24, 2017
Joebie:

Since he took part in competitive game, is it possible to switch?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 12:03am On Nov 24, 2017
neighy:
for this I want germany in the final..
Please dont even try begging me
We have to teach Mr Low a lesson
#StraightFace
Maybe, he forgot that we were in a group of death, with African champions ,Cameroon.

He can go on and play Morocco in a friendly.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:12am On Nov 24, 2017
no.. dem wan try their luck
Chrismario:

Since he took part in competitive game, is it possible to switch?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 12:14am On Nov 24, 2017
I strongly doubt it
SerVik:

Hollup, is the switch still possible?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:22am On Nov 24, 2017
ChrisKels:

Chai I can't wait to av this experience. Enjoy bro it's ur time. Next time, improve on ur striking abilities in order to score a brace. OK? I love braces

Hahaha, looking at a hattrick next time... grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:23am On Nov 24, 2017
junnyjake:
Naijaphobia, happy birthday to your little one, I pray he keeps putting smiles on your face.

Tbaba1234, congrats for the little girl coming into your home, she won't be the reason for you to be sad.

Thank you sir

(1) (2) (3) ... (2213) (2214) (2215) (2216) (2217) (2218) (2219) ... (16182) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89, Marjoribanks, Bbdot(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.