Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,865 members, 7,817,560 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:23 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (223) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11667817 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) (225) (226) ... (16151) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 3:43pm On Oct 30, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Algeria can win in Nigeria - Belloumi
[/size]
by George Akpayen

Lakhdar Belloumi

Former Algeria international, Lakhdar Belloumi, is confident that his countrymen can pull off a win in Nigeria when they face the Super Eagles in a 2018 Fifa World Cup qualifier on November 12.

The 57-year-old draws confidence from their feat of 35 years ago when Les Fennecs stunned Nigeria 2-1 in Lagos in 1981 en route to qualifying for the 1982 Fifa World Cup finals in Spain.

He believes "that winning on 12 November is certainly not impossible" for Algeria if they play to their strength.

"Algeria have a great footballing history. We've defeated Nigeria more than once. We beat them on their own pacth in 1981 and in Libya in 1982. My message to Riyad Mahrez and Co, therefore, is that winning on 12 November is certainly not impossible," Belloumi was quoted as saying by Fifa.com.

“We will win if we impose our style of play. Our team is powerful and united, and with a little bit of desire and heart, we can return home with three points in the bag.”

The former Algeria manager then deflected the pressure off his country's national team ahead of next month's game, insisting that the Super Eagles are "the ones under pressure."

He explained that the Nigerians will be keen to impress their fans at home and that should put them on the edge.

"On the contrary, I believe the Nigerians will be the ones under pressure as they're at home and playing in front of their own fans," he said.

The 1981 African Footballer of the Year added that Algeria's 1-1 draw in Blida with Cameroon was "a misstep" considering that they have found the Indomitable Lions difficult to play against in competitive matches.

“Our team is very strong. For me, the draw against Cameroon was just a misstep. And we mustn’t forget that Cameroon have a great team and a long World Cup history, and that we’ve never beaten them in an official match. Let’s put that slip-up behind us and concentrate on picking up three points in Nigeria,” he said.

Belloumi played at two editions of the Fifa World Cup in 1982 and 1986 in Spain and Mexico respectively.

http://www.supersport.com/football/North-Africa/news/161030/Algeria_can_win_in_Nigeria_Belloumi
[/b]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 3:44pm On Oct 30, 2016
[b][size=14pt]
Early camping key to victory against Algeria, says Ekpo
[/size]

Algerian national team

• Appeals for Inclusion Of NPFL’s Players In Eagles

Former Super Eagles Midfielder, Friday Ekpo, has advised the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) to ensure that the nation prepares well for the World Cup qualifier against the Algerians.

Nigeria currently tops Group B with three points and has the chance of going five points clear on the log above the Desert Foxes. The North Africans are rated best in Africa by FIFA. The tie fixed for November 12, will hold at the Akwa Ibom International Stadium in Uyo.

Speaking with The Guardian yesterday, Ekpo, who said it is good the nation now has a technical adviser, said all a coach needs is a solid team.“Now that we have a technical adviser, the next thing for him is to prepare the players well for the uphill task against the Algerians.

“The coach needs good quality players, those who are doing very well in their clubs. Players that are passionate for the course of our qualification for the World Cup in Russia. And in achieving that, the NFF also needs to encourage the coach and the players by giving them the necessary support. Money should not be an issue this time around,” he said.

With the news that the Algerians have got a new coach, Belgian George Leekens, who also qualified them for the 2014 Nations Cup, and parading stars such as Riyad Mahrez, Islam Slimani and Yacine Brahimi, among others in their squad, the challenge looks daunting.

Speaking further, with less than 12 days to the crucial tie, the former Calabar Rovers star, said few of the quality home-based players noticed at the just concluded Nigeria Professional Football League (NPFL) could be part of the team.

“The NPFL just ended about three weeks ago, I still think few of the good players discovered can be drafted into the team. All the coach needs to do is to open camp early enough for these players to start training so that they can blend very well before the arrival of the professionals.

“No doubt, we need to open the camp early enough so that the players invited can adapt and perfect the strategy the coach may have for the match. Everything lays at the feet of Coach Gernot Rohr, regarding his plans for the November 12 duet,” Ekpo stated.

http://guardian.ng/sport/early-camping-key-to-victory-against-algeria-says-ekpo/
[/b]

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 3:45pm On Oct 30, 2016
Icon4s:

His is our Heir apparent to the central midfield position. I expect him back at Arsenal in the next 1-2 years.
can't wait for the midfield battle between. Ovie ejaria and Kelechi nwakali...

who will sit on that throne?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:53pm On Oct 30, 2016
Icon4s:

Aluko is Average.

It is impossible. He is not average. Not in any way. Give him a chance in camp. Prove him average. When we were down two nil to South Africa, the player you tagged average, came in and turned the game around. He scored two goals and you call him average.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:55pm On Oct 30, 2016
Icon4s:

Aluko is Average.

How can you call him average when not long ago, he made Championship Team of the week?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:56pm On Oct 30, 2016
Icon4s:

Aluko is Average.

Perhaps but he had a blinder yesterday. We have had and still have average players in the Super Eagles. Ideye and Ighalo are average strikers.

The only bad news for Aluko is that i think, we have very good players in the positions that he can play in.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:00pm On Oct 30, 2016
tbaba1234:

Perhaps but he had a blinder yesterday. We have had and still have average players in the Super Eagles. Ideye and Ighalo are average strikers.

The only bad news for Aluko is that i think, we have very good players in the positions that he can play in.

Give Aluko a fair chance to fight for his place. There is no need giving preference to some and cutting off others. This is his second blinder. His first was the one where he was in the Championship Team of the week. I expect this to become his second.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 4:02pm On Oct 30, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

It is impossible. He is not average. Not in any way. Give him a chance in camp. Prove him average. When we were down two nil to South Africa, the player you tagged average, came in and turned the game around. He scored two goals and you call him average.
Any average Nigeria player can score against the bafana bafana, Nwofor, Makinwa, even Osaze use South Africa to shine in his early yrs in football, Rohr should just name a 40man list so average players and below average players like Aluko, Oshiniwa, Sunday mba, Agbim, kayode will feel among.cheesy

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 4:18pm On Oct 30, 2016
zicky:
Any average Nigeria player can score against the bafana bafana, Nwofor, Makinwa, even Osaze use South Africa to shine in his early yrs in football, Rohr should just name a 40man list so average players and below average players like Aluko, Oshiniwa, Sunday mba, Agbim, kayode will feel among.cheesy
You is a badt guy cheesy forty man list. Truth be told let him be tested. Some players turns out to be beast in their national team jersey. I could remember Miroslav klose was underperforming at bayern before the 2O1O world cup.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OdenigboAroli(m): 4:23pm On Oct 30, 2016
Icon4s:

His is our Heir apparent to the central midfield position. I expect him back at Arsenal in the next 1-2 years.

And rightly so because I don't see any player currently who can put up a fight. One thing that amazes me about the boy is his stone cold confidence on the ball....You don't learn that,you are born with it. Also,he is a born leader. Those Amuneke boys will soon blow...Samuel Chukwueze, Victor Osimhen,Kelechi Nwakali,Lukman Zakari,Orji Okonkwo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 4:28pm On Oct 30, 2016
Certitude:

You is a badt guy cheesy forty man list. Truth be told let him be tested. Some players turns out to be beast in their national team jersey. I could remember Miroslav klose was underperforming at bayern before the 2O1O world cup.
some players are not just lucky with the National team, Aluko is one player I love to see in the green & white jersey of Nigeria, his choice of club is not even helping matters.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:42pm On Oct 30, 2016
OdenigboAroli:

And rightly so because I don't see any player currently who can put up a fight. One thing that amazes me about the boy is his stone cold confidence in the ball....You don't learn that,you are born with it. Also,he is a born leader. That Amuneke boys will soon blow...Samuel Chukwueze, Victor Osimhen,Kelechi Nwakali,Lukman Zakari,Orji Okonkwo.

Chidiebere can put up a fight. He has also shown great form. Our midfield in the near future could consist of the two brothers.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:46pm On Oct 30, 2016
zicky:

I doubt you watched the match against South Africa. They were on top the game, leading us 2-0. Aluko came in and turned the game around. His brilliant skills and sharp passes made us play with more vigor and fluidity. He capped his brilliant performance with two goals. In that game, we had Musa and Ike Uche on the field and they failed to score. Here you are saying any average player will score two goals.

You are off to debate. South Africa won our group. Drew with us in the first game. So for you to say any player is baffling.

Where did I call Mba or Kayode? Or you just add ridiculous points to make the weak thing your saying pack a punch.

We are talking of a player in good form. Playing regularly. A fan of Aluko on Twitter offered him his wife. Lol.

And, you are saying below average. As in, you guys eh.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:49pm On Oct 30, 2016
Icon4s:

U need the big experience players for the big games. -Gernot Rohr (2016).

Musa made me proud. -Gernot Rohr (2016)smiley
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 4:52pm On Oct 30, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I doubt you watch the match against South Africa. They were on top the game, leading us 2-0. Aluko came in and turned the game around. His brilliant skills and sharp passes made us play with more vigor and fluidity. He capped his brilliant performance with two goals. In that game, we had Musa and Ike Uche on the field and they failed to score. Here you are saying any player will score two goals.

You are off to debate. South Africa won our group. Drew with us in the first game. So for you to say any player is baffling.

Where did I call Mba or Kayode? Or you just add ridiculous points to make the weak thing your saying pack a punch.

We are talking of a player in good form. Playing regularly. A fan of Aluko on Twitter offered him his wife. Lol.

And, you are saying below average. As in, you guys eh.
you portray the south Africa side like one super team, it wasn't like the SA outplayed Nigeria but poor defending gifted SA the two goals, I still repeat any average player wearing the green and white for Nigeria can score two goals against SA

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:56pm On Oct 30, 2016
zicky:
you portray the south Africa side like one super team, it wasn't like the SA outplayed Nigeria but poor defending gifted SA the two goals, I still repeat any average player wearing the green and white for Nigeria can score two goals against SA

They were on top of us. Egwuekwe had to commit repeated fouls to keep us in the game. In the first leg, I can not remember the South African's name but he won the man of the match.

It was a tough game against the group leaders that already qualified. You want to make it look like if it were some whiping boys.

During the game were I was, I was screaming, "What is wrong with Keshi? Bring in Aluko."

People who were with me did not understand until the young man came in. Let us do the right things sometimes. Freezing a player doing well is wrong. He is good. Far from average.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:06pm On Oct 30, 2016
tbaba1234:

Gbam!

Finish

cc: TheGoodJoe.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by shogz89: 5:08pm On Oct 30, 2016
Mikel on the bench, wonderful pass by Victor Moses to hazard Chelsea leads in 4 minutes
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:08pm On Oct 30, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Form of two years ago.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:09pm On Oct 30, 2016
shogz89:
Mikel on the bench, wonderful pass by Victor Moses to hazard Chelsea leads in 4 minutes

Rohr's meeting yielding fruits
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:09pm On Oct 30, 2016
Icon4s:

Gbam!

Finish

cc: TheGoodJoe.

I already replied what you photocopied. I doubt we have a more skillful player than Aluko. Give him a shot and promote competition.

zicky, sorry for sounding rude.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:11pm On Oct 30, 2016
Icon4s:

Form of two years ago.

LOLS.

It seems yesterday's brilliant performance was two years ago too you.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:12pm On Oct 30, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I already replied what you photocopied. I doubt we have a more skillful player than Aluko. Give him a shot and promote competition.

zicky, sorry for sounding rude.

I would rather we give that opportunity to Abdul Ajagun or Obinna Nwobodo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:13pm On Oct 30, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

LOLS.

It seems yesterday's brilliant performance was two years ago too you.

Aluko is not in the class of Iwobi and Iheanacho. Take that to the bank.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:16pm On Oct 30, 2016
Icon4s:

Aluko is not in the class of Iwobi and Iheanacho. Take that to the bank.

He is definitely more skillful on the ball than them. Take that to akawo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:18pm On Oct 30, 2016
Icon4s:

I would rather we give that opportunity to Abdul Ajagun or Obinna Nwobodo.

Do not break my ribs with laugh. One of the best players in the Championship for these two?

By the way Aluko plays as a forward or attacking midfielder. Different wings.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:19pm On Oct 30, 2016
Not watching the game, can any confirm Mikel is on the bench? Score sites did not list him on the bench.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 5:21pm On Oct 30, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
Not watching the game, can any confirm Mikel is on the bench? Score sites did not list him on the bench.
i don't think so.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:24pm On Oct 30, 2016
Certitude:

i don't think so.

Thanks.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:28pm On Oct 30, 2016
Ebuehi has good fundamentals and uses both feet but his first instinct is to cross. He does not attempt to dribble or do anything special.

His game is currently on.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:30pm On Oct 30, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Not on the bench
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by shogz89: 5:31pm On Oct 30, 2016
Icon4s:

Rohr's meeting yielding fruits
Sorry he isn't on the bench,, just confirmed on net,, blame on Nigerian info..

(1) (2) (3) ... (220) (221) (222) (223) (224) (225) (226) ... (16151) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Badbunny, do4luv14(m), charlesemeka85(m), Philosopher1979, shawwal1(m), opes and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.