Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,749 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:08 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2271) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11686538 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2268) (2269) (2270) (2271) (2272) (2273) (2274) ... (16156) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:20pm On Dec 02, 2017
I didn't read that news that Rohr plans to call him as a back up to Mikel

safarigirl:
injury prone or not. Joel Ovi is not trying to be first choice...he is being called as back-up, emphasis on the word BACK-UP to Mikel, so, except something foes wrong with Mikel, he will only come in as a sub here and there.

What is the likelihood of him getting injured in such appearances?

Cc enomakos
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 10:20pm On Dec 02, 2017
safarigirl:
injury prone or not. Joel Ovi is not trying to be first choice...he is being called as back-up, emphasis on the word BACK-UP to Mikel, so, except something foes wrong with Mikel, he will only come in as a sub here and there.

What is the likelihood of him getting injured in such appearances?

Cc enomakos
back-up? No problem but the likelihood of him getting injured is still 100%
one rough tackle and he is out for months
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:24pm On Dec 02, 2017
Joebie:
I didn't read that news that Rohr plans to call him as a back up to Mikel

I didn't mean Rohr calling him....is it not what most people mentioning him here have been saying?

"We need a Mikel back-up..."
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:24pm On Dec 02, 2017
It's looking like Chidiebere Nwakali's Sogndal has just been relegated.
They lost the relegation play off to Ranheim, after a penalty shoot-out.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:32pm On Dec 02, 2017
Torino just pulled off Joel Obi and switched to a 4-2-3-1 from a 4-3-3
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 10:33pm On Dec 02, 2017
elyte89:

I can bet my left balls grin.... Barring no injury/deep in loss of form to him,ETEBO.O will make it to russia
i agreed
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by enomakos(m): 10:35pm On Dec 02, 2017
Joebie:
lol.. so even at this point some people still dey sing injury prone.

is he not?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 10:45pm On Dec 02, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Wiltord played in the wings but at Arsenal he played a lot as a striker. You were wrong saying Wiltord was not a striker. Finito.

Bergkamp had a good run to show his worth while Kanu dealt with challenges and still made an impact. As I showed you that clip, there were things Kanu could do that I doubt Bergkamp could attempt.

Bergkamp was a great player but saying Kanu does not come close, unless based on his limited chances, ability wise, Kanu was definitely close to Bergkamp.
Whilst with the Gunners he was occasionally paired with Thierry Henry up front or otherwise upon the wing.[6]
this is from his Wikipedia page, and it's not different from what I said, once in a while and occasionally na the same
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 10:45pm On Dec 02, 2017
Kanu ‘Believes’ Super Eagles Will Qualify From World Cup Group

By James Agberebi:

Nigeria legend Nwankwo Kanu is optimistic the Super Eagles will progress from their 2018 FIFA World Cup group.

The Super Eagles got to know their group stage opponents in next year’s FIFA World Cup at the draw which was held on Friday at the Kremlin Palace in Moscow, Russia.

The Gernot Rohr-led Eagles were drawn in Group D with old adversaries Argentina, Iceland who will be making their debut, and France 1998 World Cup third-placed team Croatia.

They will kick off their campaign against Croatia on June 16.
Reacting to the draw, Kanu who was present in Moscow alongside other football legends, said the Eagles can do it.

“FIFA World Cup draws. Believe we can. Thank God,” Kanu who represented Nigeria at three FIFA World Cups (1998, 2002, 2010), wrote on his verified Twitter handle on Saturday.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/kanu-believes-super-eagles-will-qualify-world-cup-group/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:46pm On Dec 02, 2017
I beg call Rohr not to consider him for March friendlies because he is injury prone

enomakos:
is he not?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 10:46pm On Dec 02, 2017
Onazi Confident Eagles Will Be Ready To Take On W/Cup Group D Foes

By James Agberebi:

As reactions continue to pour in following Friday’s 2018 FIFA World Cup draws, Super Eagles midfielder Ogenyi Onazi assures that the Super Eagles will be ready to take on their Group D opponents, Comple tesportsnigeria.com reports.

The World Cup draw which was held at the Kremlin Palace in Moscow, Russia, saw the Eagles drawn in Group D along with Argentina, debutant Iceland and Croatia.

It will be the fifth time Nigeria and Argentina will clash at the World Cup, while they face Croatia and Iceland for the very first time at the senior level.

And reacting to the outcome of the draw, Onazi tasked the five African representatives; Nigeria, Senegal, Morocco, Tunisia and Egypt to do the continent proud.

He also sought divine favour, for a successful World Cup outing.
“Nothing good comes easy. Now we know our group. We will prepare mentally, physically, tactically… it’s time for Africa to make the difference. With God on our side nothing is impossible,” Onazi wrote on his verified Twitter handle.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/onazi-confident-eagles-will-ready-take-w-cup-group-d-foes/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:49pm On Dec 02, 2017
jihday:
Whilst with the Gunners he was occasionally paired with Thierry Henry up front or otherwise upon the wing.[6]
this is from his Wikipedia page, and it's not different from what I said, once in a while and occasionally na the same

My own is not from Wiki but from watching. You said Wiltord was not a striker earlier. You were wrong there. If you want to change your stance, you are free. Just do not try to switch and make it look as if you were down with Wiltord as a striker from day one. That is a no-no.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 10:51pm On Dec 02, 2017
Joebie:
Ogbeche again!
I think he should be the one we need to call up to the super eagles and not Martins....

the Dutch league is no beans and should be ahead of the Chinese league

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 11:02pm On Dec 02, 2017
We can call both. How about that? lol

Humility017:

I think he should be the one we need to call up to the super eagles and not Martins....

the Dutch league is no beans and should be ahead of the Chinese league
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:20pm On Dec 02, 2017
AF Nigeria 2018 FIFA World Cup - Russia Argentina
Maradona: Argentina cannot afford to play badly against Nigeria

by Austin Ditlhobolo

Argentina legend Diego Maradona says that La Albiceleste have a feasible challenge in their 2018 FIFA World Cup group.

The South American giants were pitted against Iceland, Croatia and Nigeria in Group D on Friday.

Nigeria recently stunned Argentina 4-2 in an international friendly in Russia, the host nation of next's tournament.

Maradona, who is widely regarded as one of the greatest footballers of all-time, reflected on the draw.

''It is a feasible challenge because of the type of teams," Maradona said.

"Argentina have to step up their game," the retired attacker was speaking after draw.

"They can not play as badly as they are doing."

Nigeria's first Group D game will be against Croatia on 16 June 2018, while Argentina will face Iceland on the same day.

africanfootball.com//news/736285/Maradona-Argentina-cannot-afford-to-play-badly-against-Nigeria
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:22pm On Dec 02, 2017
AF Nigeria 2018 FIFA World Cup - Russia Nigeria
Idowu: NFF contacted Ogude before Nigeria-Argentina clash

by Austin Ditlhobolo

Saturday Amkar Perm defender Brian Idowu says that an unnamed representative of the Nigeria Football Federation contacted Fegor Ogude.

This was before the talented defender was invited for the international friendly against Argentina on November 14.

''He (Ogude) said that he was contacted from the team about me," he told the club's official website

"And so, I thought, I'll come and I'll figure it out myself, what to do.
According to All Nigeria Soccer, Ogude, who has not been called up to the Super Eagles for more than four years, missed the start of the Russian Premier League season due to a Cervical spine injury.

Russian-born Idowu scored Nigeria's third goal eight minutes into his debut against Argentina at Stadion FK Krasnodar.

His Nigeria teammates asked about his condition when Idowu arrived in Krasnodar for the friendly against the South Americans.

''They asked how, in general, I live in Russia, about the championship and if it's cold to play at this time of year," he added.

''Some guys asked how Ogude feels. They know that he had an injury. I said that he was already well and returned to the field, and they were happy for him.''

africanfootball.com//news/736296/Idowu-NFF-contacted-Ogude-before-Nigeria-Argentina-clash

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:28pm On Dec 02, 2017
Super Eagles to face real Argentina squad – Disu

Nigeria national football team players pose prior to the 2018 FIFA World Cup qualifying football match between Nigeria and Cameroon at Godswill Akpabio International Stadium in Uyo, southern Nigeria, on September 1, 2017. / AFP PHOTO / PIUS UTOMI EKPEI

Former Technical Director of the Nigeria Football Federation, Tunde Disu, says the Super Eagles should be ready to face the real Albiceleste of Argentina at the World Cup.

Disu gave the advice in an interview with theNews Agency of Nigeriaon Saturday in Lagos on the draws made on Friday that pit Nigeria in Group D alongside, Argentina, Croatia and Iceland.

The World Cup draws held in Russia, Nigeria is in the group alongside Argentina who they had faced four times before in the World Cup in 1994, 2002, 2010 and 2014.

The only time Nigeria avoided Argentina in the World Cup was in 1998 in France.

It will, however, be the fifth time Nigeria will be facing the Albiceleste opposition at the grand football fiesta.

According to the draws, Nigeria will play first against Croatia in the first ever senior international match, while the smallest nation ever to qualify for a World Cup, Iceland will play against Nigeria also in Group D.

The Icelanders, the only newcomers, will play two-time winners Argentina in their first World Cup finals match.

The Eagles last group match will be against Argentina who have turned their World Cup nemesis.

On Argentina’s opposition, Disu said that though Argentina was becoming a familiar foe, yet Nigeria should not start counting their teeth with their tongues.

punchng.com/super-eagles-to-face-real-argentina-squad-disu/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:33pm On Dec 02, 2017
Argentina Midfielder : Saint Petersburg Fans Will Support Argentina Not Nigeria

Reacting to Friday evening's World Cup draw in Moscow, FC Zenit Saint Petersburg's Argentina international Emiliano Rigoni has noted that the two-time world champions will have more support than their Nigerian counterparts when both teams face off at Krestovsky Stadium, Saint Petersburg on June 26, 2018.

Four Argentina internationals Leandro Paredes, Matías Kranevitter, Emiliano Rigoni and Emanuel Mammana are on the books of Russian Premier League club Zenit Saint Petersburg, while the young strikerSebastián Driussi has played for Argentina's U20 national team.

''Of course, it's a pleasure to play at the stadium in St. Petersburg, but I think everything that concerns the cities and arenas is a simple coincidence,''Rigoni told Sport Express Russia.

''Argentina sets itself the highest goals, so we will have to play at many stadiums. About Zenit-yes, many of us were summoned to the national team for qualifying matches and friendly games, but the final list of players for the World Cup is not yet known, so we must continue to work hard to be among the final 23 people.

''The stadium factor will neither help nor harm Argentina.''
Emiliano Rigoni played the last fourteen minutes of Argentina's 4-2 loss to Nigeria in a friendly in Krasnodar on November 14.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=25663
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:11am On Dec 03, 2017
ChrisKels:

Uv said it all mate. Don't be complacent and don't give them too much respect which could amount to fearing them.

Loveren and Co can't stand the firepower of Nigeria

Loveren will not be able to deal one on one with Ighalo or Obagoal. They are just too strong, too fast and too technical for him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:20am On Dec 03, 2017
Mujtahida:

Support the team regardless of whether Martins is recalled or not. I'm hoping for his recall too. Komekn walahi let me tell you this:sometimes I doubt whether you are a true fan of the SE team. I don't know how but somehow imperceptibly that impression is settling in my mind. I know I'm wrong though but I just gat to say it.

Walahi

What on earth is a true fan

If you want Champagne just talk I go buy for you to prove I'm a true fan.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 1:02am On Dec 03, 2017
joseph1013:
Onyekuru scores! He's just prolific.
when i said few months ago shortly after ONYEKURU switched to Anderletch,that he could score up to 30 goals to gate crash WORLD CUP team list,someone tried to mock me.

for all the SE players going to WC,ONYEKURU is the one i want to shine more than the others,i just a new and unlikely star from NIGERIA
to emerge from in the WC

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 1:05am On Dec 03, 2017
Humility017:

you've a problem wit decoding one's write up....
please read my comment again and then reedit your reply.....

I said they will beat Martins team in a match....and not what you writing up there..if they registered for the Chinese league and will win it....

I did say such...Mr.

Martins' team just won the chinese cup, the chinese cup is different from the chinese league and since you want to assume that a team of U23s garnished with bench warmers can destroy Martins' team then they sure as hell can win the Chinese cup
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 1:06am On Dec 03, 2017
safarigirl:
World Cup that has been in existence since 1930....so, of the over twenty times winners have emerged, most have been teams that struggled prior to the mundial proper?

Is this another one of those "Pull It Out Your A**" statistics? undecided

I don't know if you are always trying to be funny but it is getting ridiculous. I gave you examples and unless you have other examples to counter it then you may as well keep quiet.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 1:08am On Dec 03, 2017
safarigirl:
another delusional statement

Just any club? You overrate Enyeama. He isn't Buffon, he isn't De Gea, currently, he's not even Ondoa, so how can you say that he would be a starter for jist about any club when no EPL club, for instance, would buy him?

The way some people talk about Enyeama here, one would think he has never let in a goal. Enyeama that once we give away a Corner, 95% of the time, you know he won't save it.

Abeg let January do and come make we see the just any club that Enyeama will start for

the fact that you are comparing Enyeama and Ondoa shows just how ridiculous you can get to prove a lame point. I thought I had seen the most ridiculous comment ever earlier today until I saw yours

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 1:10am On Dec 03, 2017
Mujtahida:

I disagree with the bolded. It is present ability, present quality, present performance that earns one an invite. The past would not count as such. The team is already a blend of the young and experienced.
The second bolded : we've always called up three CFs so I don't think Iheanacho or Ighalo would be dropped for a performing Martins unless their form is awful. Martins can be among the three attackers.

He doesn't have a poor form for the SE. That is what matters. He will sort out his issues with Leicester.

As for Enyeama I agree that his situation is not the same as that of Rufai - we still have up to five months to the WC but those in the know say he's not coming back.
Too bad we are in this gk crises.

I think you misunderstood my point. I am not asking for Martins to be invited because of his past history no, I am saying that he should not be discarded just because he made his debut a long time ago. Just because he was part of the past SE does not make him ineligible for the present crop of players

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 1:11am On Dec 03, 2017
sontoly:

hahahha, Oga take am easy oo, cos he cant score up to 30 but may be the way he is going am sure he will past the 20goal line.
LET WAIT AND SEE
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 1:12am On Dec 03, 2017
Joebie:
@ Mickael2
Why are we crying over Enyeama?. He is already on the road to recovery.
Let's see what happens between January and May. I will never shift my goal post. Performance at club level will show a player deserving for national call up. Then performance at the battlefield should show a player is deserving of selection for the WC. Rohr has already said Enyeama will have to start playing at the club level first before he will get a chance for recall... shekina!

this I agree with totally
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 1:14am On Dec 03, 2017
tbaba1234:

Lol, Mickael2 loves to criticize.

The Nigerian team has things to improve upon but we have the quality of players to hurt anyone. I think we can get 9 point off the group but work starts now.

Before our next friendly, we should have studied all our opponents extensively. We should try out potential approaches in friendlies to see how it works out.

That is why it is important to select similar teams.

these guys sef grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 1:17am On Dec 03, 2017
joseph1013:

Dicey. I will reluctantly take Henry based on sentiments. He has massive confidence for his age. I like his courage. For Wing plays, he may perform more than Obagoal. But I don't think Rohr likes him. It's a surprise to me.

A case for Obafemi though. At Henry's age, he was bossing in the Champions League. I can never forget how he messed up Maldini and Nesta that year at the San Siro. Maldini said he was the most difficult player he ever encountered.

If Henry is taken, it will be as a winger, while Obagoal will be as a top striker. So they are probably not fighting for the same spot.

i ve read where Rohr said that he really like ONYEKURU a lots
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 1:20am On Dec 03, 2017
safarigirl:
I just look at them as Forwards... I don't really differentiate into striker, winger or supporting striker.

We're taking seven forwards:

Victor Moses
Iwobi
Kelechi
Ighalo
Musa
Moses Simon.....

The contenders for the last spot are:

(In the System)
Kayode
Nwakaeme
Onyekuru

(Not In The System, Hoping To Crash In)

Martins
Onuachu
Bonaventure
Dessers

It's all forwards
ONEKURU is the real deal

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dedebanky85: 1:44am On Dec 03, 2017
I don't think they played today. I saw a game involving Songdal online, but that was an adecoligan league game whatever that stands for. His team plays in the tippelegan league. I never get to watch some Norwegian league games cos the only streams you see are never available in my country. But if for some reason it's true that his team is relegated we can take some solace that he's not their true player. But that would mean he and Awoniyi are struggling for the title of playing for teams that always get relegated. Lol

Joebie:
It's looking like Chidiebere Nwakali's Sogndal has just been relegated.
They lost the relegation play off to Ranheim, after a penalty shoot-out.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 2:05am On Dec 03, 2017
Dedebanky85:
I don't think they played today. I saw a game involving Songdal online, but that was an adecoligan league game whatever that stands for. His team plays in the tippelegan league. I never get to watch some Norwegian league games cos the only streams you see are never available in my country. But if for some reason it's true that his team is relegated we can take some solace that he's not their true player. But that would mean he and Awoniyi are struggling for the title of playing for teams that always get relegated. Lol

Joebie is correct, he got relegated in the playoff game.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2268) (2269) (2270) (2271) (2272) (2273) (2274) ... (16156) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.