Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,239 members, 7,818,818 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:41 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2286) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11688844 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2283) (2284) (2285) (2286) (2287) (2288) (2289) ... (16156) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 12:08pm On Dec 05, 2017
But he's using that same "black man mentality" in Holland and getting results. I hope you know he repeated the same actions he carried out as the SE coach in Fortuna? That's just who he is, likes things go his way, a bit similar to pep, difference is that Pep does his codedly unlike the vocal oliseh.
Questence:

Oliseh is actually a good coach but his man management is poor.

He almost ruined the SE. Imagine sacking Mikel and using Paul Onobi in his place. Where is the Paul Onobi today?

Same way he sacked Enyeama who was bereaved and just fresh from burying his parent

The Black man has a long way to go. Our ego breeds negative energy instead of positive results.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:20pm On Dec 05, 2017
Kog45:
Alloy Agu is seriously gambling with super eagles coz anytime i see Ezenwa in team line up photography,i do asked myself is this only guy Alloy can produced in NPFL..

I remember in old Nigeria league, for a keeper to be considered for Eagles he must be number one in his club and number one in entire league.

Reverse is the case now,what we have now is a keeper who has been finding it difficult to be number one in his club but number one in national team, pls on what criteria.

If Ezenwa was damn good and has good prospect i believe Ifeanyi Uba would have renewed his contract but they allowed him to go with no bickering with Enyimba that signed him.

This is the same league that produced Best Ogedegbe, Patrick Okala,Peter Rufai,Segun Oguns, Edward Ansha,Wifred Agbonavbare, Alloy Agu,Christian Obi, Willy Opara,Peterside Idah,Agus Ikeji,Emeka Amadi,Murphy Akanji,Ike Shorunmu,Dosu Joseph,Andrew Aikhomogbe, Lemmy Isah,Emma Babayaro, Abiodun Baruwa,Greg Etafia,Austin Ejide,Vincent Enyeama, Dele Aiyenugba etc

I don't think we are lacking but Alloy is not doing enough cos when it comes to keeper in NPFL,haba we must find at least two solid ones instead of going for all these regional league keepers in Europe.
The technical crew are not just ready to pick the best out of the available home based lads.. I also doubt so much if Akpeyi and Ezenwa are the best our league can boast of.

Right from the days of Stephen Keshi, the technical crew had always found it convenient to force down our throats some average goalkeepers gringrin

Modified
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 12:33pm On Dec 05, 2017
Rohr: Tough to select Nigeria’s final World Cup squad

It will be a tough task for the Nigeria coaching team to select their final squad for the World Cup, coach Gernot Rohr has told .com

The Super Eagles have been drawn in Group D alongside Argentina, Croatia and Iceland for Russia 2018.

With six months left to the start of the Mundial, Rohr says he will have a selection headache when the time comes to pick his team because he has a wealth of talent vying for final places in the squad.
“We have to be open to wonderful players who are very strong at their clubs. We have to hope that the players work very hard at their clubs because we will only see them again in March,” Rohr told .com.

“We will first have to do a list of 35 and later a list of 23. It will be difficult because I have good competition in all positions,” he said.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 1:01pm On Dec 05, 2017
mazimee:

It will be a tough task for the Nigeria coaching team to select their final squad for the World Cup, coach Gernot Rohr has told .com

The Super Eagles have been drawn in Group D alongside Argentina, Croatia and Iceland for Russia 2018.

With six months left to the start of the Mundial, Rohr says he will have a selection headache when the time comes to pick his team because he has a wealth of talent vying for final places in the squad.
“We have to be open to wonderful players who are very strong at their clubs. We have to hope that the players work very hard at their clubs because we will only see them again in March,” Rohr told .com.

“We will first have to do a list of 35 and later a list of 23. It will be difficult because I have good competition in all positions,” he said.

pls mention these great goalkeepers you are talking about

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 1:04pm On Dec 05, 2017
mazimee:

pls mention these great goalkeepers you are talking about in NPFL. Remember, Afelokhai, Ajiboye and? Don't have enough National team experience than Ezenwa

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 1:12pm On Dec 05, 2017
zuchyblink:
pls mention these great goalkeepers you are talking about in NPFL. Remember, Afelokhai, Ajiboye and? Don't have enough National team experience than Ezenwa

NPFL great keepers? When did I have such discussion with you ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:15pm On Dec 05, 2017
somehow:
Theophilus is even better than Ezenwa and Dauda (Ghana's FC) is Enyimba number 1 so I'm wondering how he's going to be playing regularly there.
Dauda has left Enyimba for one of Ghanian clubside,now Ezenwa has Theophilus Afelokhai to compete.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 1:29pm On Dec 05, 2017
Nigeria: Former Super Eagles' Assistant Coach May Join Iceland's Coaching Crew

Assistant coach of the Super Eagles under Lars Lagerbäck, Roland Andersson has been approached by the Football Association of Iceland to join the coaching staff of the Nordic country ahead of the 2018 World Cup, according to reports.
Andersson is a good friend of Lagerbäck and both Swedes were in the Super Eagles dugout at the 2010 World Cup hosted by South Africa, and also helped Lagerbäck while he was coaching Iceland at the 2016 European Championship.
"Roland Andersson will probably continue with us. He was a national assistant coach of Nigeria (World Cup 2010)," Freyr Alexandersson was quoted as saying by fotbolti.net.
"He is terribly humble, very smart and nothing complicates anything.
"I learned a lot from him and he is probably the one who taught me the most in being a spy."
Nigeria, Argentina, Iceland and Croatia will do battle in Group D of the 2018 World Cup, the Icelandic team will face the Super Eagles on June 22 at Volgograd Arena, Volgograd.
http://allafrica.com/stories/201712050632.html
The Icelanders have started working already by upgrading their bench. In this case getting a former Super Eagles assistant coach. I hope someone in the Nff will contact Lars Lagerbäck and even Bonfere for Intel.
Lagerbäck owes Nigeria. He was the second best paid coach in 2010 world cup.

I don't know how true but I understand Pinick is talking to the Mr Mike Emenalo. Hopefully, we utilise his vast contact in Europe to gather information on our opponents.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 1:30pm On Dec 05, 2017
Ezenwa can't dislodge Theophilus except politics gets in.
Kog45:
Dauda has left Enyimba for one of Ghanian clubside,now Ezenwa has Theophilus Afelokhai to compete.

Didn't even know Dauda left.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:40pm On Dec 05, 2017
somehow:
Theophilus is even better than Ezenwa and Dauda (Ghana's FC) is Enyimba number 1 so I'm wondering how he's going to be playing regularly there.

You know what's paining me more? This same Ezenwa would be blocking Ajiboye's chances at the CHAN come January.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:47pm On Dec 05, 2017
Joebie:
Has Alampasu played in Liga NOS yet?

Is that the only competition in portugal or the world?

He has played against a better team than Uzoho. Yes, he played against Fc Porto.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:49pm On Dec 05, 2017
zuchyblink:

What national experience does Ezenwa have?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 1:50pm On Dec 05, 2017
junnyjake:

You know what's paining me more? This same Ezenwa would be blocking Ajiboye's chances at the CHAN come January.

This Ajiboye, What club is he playing for?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 1:51pm On Dec 05, 2017
mazimee:

Plateau Utd
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:54pm On Dec 05, 2017
Joebie:
Bad example
It's not like Alampasu has posted a solid performance in the recent past.
Uzoho is AHEAD. Is Alampasu as good or better? He can't prove that if he is not playing.

So, Fc Porto is a useless club compared with Girona, ba?

Alampasu has demonstrated he is better when he kept cleansheet against fc Porto.

Now, he is a first team member and not a reserve keeper trading his mark in a third division league.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:55pm On Dec 05, 2017
mazimee:

Plateau United the current champion of Nppl.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SerVik(m): 1:55pm On Dec 05, 2017
junnyjake:
Eagles Scout Agali – Rohr Knows His World Cup Squad, No New Players Needed

The newly appointed chief scout of the Super Eagles Victor Agali says coach Gernot Rohr won’t be considering new players in his squad for the World Cup in Russia next year.

Agali made this known in a television programme in Lagos monitored by Owngoalnigeria.com, while responding to a question on if new players are going to make the squad to the World Cup.

He said there will be no need for new players in the team as the coach already has the team he plans taking to the World Cup 2018, and bringing in new players could disrupt the understanding in the team.

“The players are fired up now, the bonding is strong and they understand themselves, there would be no need to disrupt that understanding by bringing in new players. Rohr already has the players he will need at the World Cup”, Agali remarked.

Ade Emmanuel
Why then were you given the role to scout for players? Why is rohr touring Europe to find new players? I believe we need 2-3 new players to bolster the squad.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 1:59pm On Dec 05, 2017
I wasn't advocating that we disregard the players in big leagues and big clubs. My point is, we ought to give everyone who's doing well a chance to stake a claim .... then whomever performs in the green and white should get the nod regardless of the league or club he plays for.

Oliseh's school of thought was "if you're not playing in the top divisions then you're not good enough". And on that, I totally disagree. If you are playing well, then you're playing well. You can only compete against the people put in front of you. Hence, the only way for us to determine whether you can only perform amongst the mediocre is to give you a chance to reproduce that form amongst the best of the best.

O pari

komekn:

So how are you going to determine who is best and or better.

Scoring 15 goals on Norway is not the same thing as scoring 15 in the EPL, La Liga and or the Bundesliga.

We pick players in the best leagues as it is already an indicator for excellence and top quality.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 2:03pm On Dec 05, 2017
junnyjake:
With the way things are going, let no one cry foul when Kayode finally misses out on the 23-man WC list.

I knew people will start telling us how Kayode dey chop and miss bench without trying to know the reason he missed games but they are to give excuse on why Iheanacho dey chop and miss bench.

Is dis not double standard and na my brother syndrome, huh?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 2:05pm On Dec 05, 2017
forgiveness:

I knew people and start telling us how Kayode dey chop and miss bench without trying to know the reason he missed games but they are to give excuse on why Iheanacho dey chop and miss bench.

Is dis not double standard and na my brother syndrome, huh?

Hehehe, fortunately, I'm not one of those. I say it the way I see it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 2:06pm On Dec 05, 2017
Alloy Agu is the main issue here, ignored good goal keepers for Ezenwa.

Even the old Sunday rotimi is better than Ezenwa.

we also have Femi thomas
Ajiboye

Danladi
Theophilus.

All better goal keepers than Ezenwa
junnyjake:

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 2:07pm On Dec 05, 2017
He gathered the so called "experience" when he was picked ahead of better keeper by alloy.
forgiveness:

What national experience those Ezenwa has?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:12pm On Dec 05, 2017
This is quite refreshing to read. Like I had said several times, Rohr isn't gonna invite more than 3 new players to the World Cup. The core and the base of the team is already formed. Right now, I can only think of beefing up the goalkeeping dept., Joel Obi, and probably Felix Uduokhai. The tired legs like Martins and Uche should be allowed to retire in peace.

O pari

junnyjake:
Eagles Scout Agali – Rohr Knows His World Cup Squad, No New Players Needed

The newly appointed chief scout of the Super Eagles Victor Agali says coach Gernot Rohr won’t be considering new players in his squad for the World Cup in Russia next year.

Agali made this known in a television programme in Lagos monitored by Owngoalnigeria.com, while responding to a question on if new players are going to make the squad to the World Cup.

He said there will be no need for new players in the team as the coach already has the team he plans taking to the World Cup 2018, and bringing in new players could disrupt the understanding in the team.

“The players are fired up now, the bonding is strong and they understand themselves, there would be no need to disrupt that understanding by bringing in new players. Rohr already has the players he will need at the World Cup”, Agali remarked.

Ade Emmanuel

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 2:18pm On Dec 05, 2017
Icon79:
This is quite refreshing to read. Like I had said several times, Rohr isn't gonna invite more than 3 new players to the World Cup. The core and the base of the team is already formed. Right now, I can only thing beefing up the goalkeeping dept., Joel Obi, and probably Felix Uduokhai. The tired legs like Martins and Uche should be allowed to retire in peace.

O pari

I just pray injury don't force our hands.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 2:27pm On Dec 05, 2017
somehow:
But he's using that same "black man mentality" in Holland and getting results. I hope you know he repeated the same actions he carried out as the SE coach in Fortuna? That's just who he is, likes things go his way, a bit similar to pep, difference is that Pep does his codedly unlike the vocal oliseh.

There's nothing about black man mentality there.

Oliseh as a person is a narcissistic personality. He wants to always be in control, which is why he'd rather have young players he knows won't challenge his decisions.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 2:30pm On Dec 05, 2017
junnyjake:

I just pray injury don't force our hands.
which injury?

About six of our squad couldn't make it for the last international break. Four of that six are part of our first team, but still, we no shake.

What is the injury that wants to force our hand worse than having four first team players out?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 2:35pm On Dec 05, 2017
safarigirl:
which injury?

About six of our squad couldn't make it for the last international break. Four of that six are part of our first team, but still, we no shake.

What is the injury that wants to force our hand worse than having four first team players out?

Those were for a dead rubber game and a friendly game. Those games were of no consequence.

I can't begin to imagine the nightmarish prospect of losing Balogun, Ekong, Ndidi, Mikel, Moses, Nacho to injury before the WC.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 2:37pm On Dec 05, 2017
Icon79:
This is quite refreshing to read. Like I had said several times, Rohr isn't gonna invite more than 3 new players to the World Cup. The core and the base of the team is already formed. Right now, I can only thing beefing up the goalkeeping dept., Joel Obi, and probably Felix Uduokhai. The tired legs like Martins and Uche should be allowed to retire in peace.

O pari

The same Agali said likely Maduka Okoye,Joel Obi and Obafemi Martins would be called up.

On Felix Uduokhai i don't think so cos Darlington Omodiagbe who based in Germany and one of the scouts for Rohr has tried his best to convince both Uduokhai and Akpoguma but till now they have refused to show interest.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 2:49pm On Dec 05, 2017
somehow:
Alloy Agu is the main issue here, ignored good goal keepers for Ezenwa.

Even the old Sunday rotimi is better than Ezenwa.

we also have Femi thomas
Ajiboye

Danladi
Theophilus.

All better goal keepers than Ezenwa
Sunday Rotimi the old horse,very solid goalkeeper that politics of the game denied him the opportunity to compete with Enyeama.

Alloy should just forget sentiments cos the league still boast of keepers like Dele Ajiboye, Theophilus Afelokhai, Olufemi Thomas, Danladi and Olorunleke Ojo.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 3:03pm On Dec 05, 2017
But it's working for him and it's his style.
junnyjake:

There's nothing about black man mentality there.

Oliseh as a person is a narcissistic personality. He wants to always be in control, which is why he'd rather have young players he knows won't challenge his decisions.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 3:03pm On Dec 05, 2017
mazimee:

Yes Plateau Utd but try and watch WAFU Nigeria vs Guinea video clips.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 3:04pm On Dec 05, 2017
Sunday Rotimi, one of the best hands in the league. Too bad he's very old now.
Kog45:
Sunday Rotimi the old horse,very solid goalkeeper that politics of the game denied him the opportunity to compete with Enyeama.

Alloy should just forget sentiments cos the league still boast of keepers like Dele Ajiboye, Theophilus Afelokhai, Olufemi Thomas, Danladi and Olorunleke Ojo.

(1) (2) (3) ... (2283) (2284) (2285) (2286) (2287) (2288) (2289) ... (16156) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Joebie, Philosopher1979, Towbaba500(m) and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.