Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,876 members, 7,817,581 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:51 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2307) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11668004 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2304) (2305) (2306) (2307) (2308) (2309) (2310) ... (16151) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:41pm On Dec 07, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Keep in mind, Conte has to drill the team almost every week. So it is easier to organize their play. Keep in mind also the vast options of quality players.

Yeah.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:42pm On Dec 07, 2017
goldfish80:

It is about career decision. Every serious international player considers the best move for him before making a decision especially in a world cup year. Why do you think Origi left Liverpool?
Decision to move just because of passport and not football is a very daft excuse to sign for Leicester

Origi is Belgian, he does not need passport as much as Iheanacho. Nacho moved because he did not want to sit on the bench in a World Cup year. However, there was no critical look into the team's playing style before he moved. Staying at City, training under a high intense tactical system and getting his passport seemed a better option.

Now, he has to make the best of where he finds himself. Who knows he can still find his way back in the squad.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:42pm On Dec 07, 2017
Trudy12:

i prefer the first formation.

Best Possible for that kind of formation for now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:44pm On Dec 07, 2017
Icon4s:

How did Chelsea fair in their first few games of trying that formation?

It took a run of games.

For the world cup. If you try it with 2 games and it fails, you are out. No second chance. It is very dicey.

that is one of the reasons of playing friendlies to get used to the formation. The formation worked against Argentina. According to Mikel, the coach told them the areas that they had lapses in the first place and corrected them and we saw a different second half.

Besides, I know some Nigerian players like Moses, Awaziem and others have all been playing similar with similar formations so it is not new to them.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:45pm On Dec 07, 2017
Icon79:
Wow! I must be watching a different game all these while. Modric as fast as Ndidi? Kovacic faster than Onazi??

Anyway, this is one of those arguments that we would get you nowhere, so I am not even gonna try. When we play then in June then we shall see.

O pari

Enjoy for your viewing pressure. I hope Kovacic does not have a god game against us. Although I am a big fan of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2PD3iBphEk
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:50pm On Dec 07, 2017
blueto:
that is one of the reasons of playing friendlies to get used to the formation. The formation worked against Argentina. According to Mikel, the coach told them the areas that they had lapses in the first place and corrected them and we saw a different second half.

Besides, I know some Nigerian players like Moses, Awaziem and others have all been playing similar with similar formations so it is not new to them.

Where will you feature Victor Moses in this set up?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:50pm On Dec 07, 2017
Icon4s:

One of the two false 9s joins the attack when on the offensive and also joins the midfield when chasing the ball. Iwobi can do that perfectly.
Just like switching between 4-5-1 and 4-4-2. Rohr played that formation in one of the games during the qualifiers. Recall the game against Zambia in Ndola. Iheanacho played that role.

It was like:

....Ideye....Iheanacho

...........Mikel

But for the Croatia game for now I would still recommend a traditional 4-5-1

I am only suggesting we try the 4-4-2 in any of our next friendlies. But if it can work a against France and England why cant it work against Croatia?

If Iheanacho has to join the midfield from upfront, then where do you place the trio of Mikel, Ogu/Onazi, Ndidi

4-4-2 is a 2- CM-formation, bro.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:54pm On Dec 07, 2017
junnyjake:

Well K. Nwakali hasn't really been seeing games this season. He's got one goal so far, He's played from the wings some of the time at his new club which is not his favorite position. His style could be likened to that of Mikel.

Ryan Sanusi, Is a solid DMF/CMF, his style of play is a bit similar to Moussa Dembele his cousin at Tottenham. He's also got an eye for goals too. He's more experienced than Kelechi.

At the moment I'd rate Sanusi higher.

Ok thanks.

Questence.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:57pm On Dec 07, 2017
Omo, I think you're mistaking the movement of the game (ball) with the speed of the individual players. Real Madrid plays a fast attacking football but this doesn't imply that players like Modric and Kovacic are speed stars, they just try to go with the flow and move the ball quickly. After all, this is the same midfield where Mesut Ozil excelled.

Bottom line, apples to apples, our midfielders are faster and stronger than the Croats. And you can prove this to yourself when we play them next June.

O pari

TheGoodJoe:

Enjoy for your viewing pressure. I hope Kovacic does not have a god game against us. Although I am a big fan of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2PD3iBphEk

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:58pm On Dec 07, 2017
safarigirl:
he cannot respond because he has no leg to stand on- not even a prosthetic one grin

I just checked the line-ups, Martins came on for Musa in the 75th minute. He played as a Forward, which means, oga dey near net for almost half an hour, but e no score

Funny enough, you know who scored that day even as a defender? Efe Ambrose grin
Una get time to de watch all those past matches.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:01pm On Dec 07, 2017
Icon4s:

I have said it before that I prefer Moses as a wing back in this formation and I gave reasons for that and I believe they are justifiable reasons.

•He is good defensively
•With more freedom playing for the SE, he can perform better and cause more havoc going forward as a wing back than he performs for Chelsea. He created two clear-cut chances for Chelsea against Athletico Madrid on Tuesday in that position from the highlight I watched.
•The result yielding combination of Mikel-Iwobi-Iheancaho should be allowed to continue.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:01pm On Dec 07, 2017
MetalJigsaw:
If Iheanacho has to join the midfield from upfront, then where do you place the trio of Mikel, Ogu/Onazi, Ndidi

It is Iwobi that I recommend would oin the midfield when on the offensive. I only used that Zmabia game to show we did it using Iheanacho for that role.

See what I would recommend:

When on the offensive:

..........Iwobi....Ihenacho

Moses..........Mikel....................Simon
Ndidi

Idowu...Balogun...Ekong...Shehu

When we are Chasing the ball or when the midfielders are not getting the ball well enough to the forwards, Iwobi drops a little deep:

......................Iheanacho
moses..............Iwobi.............Simon

............Ndidi............Mikel

That is why I said it will be a switch between 4-4-2 and 4-5-1 without necessarily making any substitutions.

Ogu and Onazi are not on my starting list.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Trudy12(f): 4:02pm On Dec 07, 2017
Icon4s:

iheanacho or iwobi should start from the bench
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:03pm On Dec 07, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Do not lecture me on Grant. You can say maybe Nsofor had a poor attitude or something else. Not get into gear. When Nsofor was dropped, he was in full gear. I had a friend who used to laugh at West Ham during their losing spell when Nsofor was dropped.

Even Slimani who is the top forward of Algeria is Finding it hard getting playing time. Playing for the U21 shows a player ready to work hard despite not seeing sufficient games. It is also a Sign of Humility. I think in Manchester United, Victor Valdes did the same when he was not seeing games at Manchester United. We are talking of a multiple Champions League winning goal keeper and a keeper who won multiple League titles.

I specifically remember Values at Manchester United he accepted the situation buy did not like it one bit.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:07pm On Dec 07, 2017
Icon4s:

Does Alex Iwobi not play with the U21s once in a while?

Just a couple of years back Oxlade-Chamberlein and Walcott also featured for the Arsenal U21s even though they were already full members of the 3 Lions.

It is just a bid to keep them match fit.

I don't see any thing wrong with that

It's only when you are injured all things being equal otherwise, have no doubt it's demotion and sometimes psychological engineering and discipline to get you back on track if you are loosing focus.

Particularly in the larger clubs with huge squads.

In the case of Leicester playing with the U23's is simply saying you have some lessons to learn. Do you think Vardy, Mahrez, Ndidi, Morgan will ever be demoted to the U23's, no way.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 4:10pm On Dec 07, 2017
Icon4s:

That is one of the demerits of that 3-5-2 formation. It will not allow us to maximize our potentials.
But If we must play 3-5-2 and we have to bring in Victor Moses we line up like this:

............Moses..........Iheanacho

........................Iwobi
Idowu......Mikel.............Ndidi....Shehu

.......Balogun......Awaziem.......Ekong

I prefer Moses in the attack and not as Wing Back. He is our major attacking weapon.

This formation looks like a badass formation. The beauty of this super Eagles will be versatile ability of the players

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:12pm On Dec 07, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

What of Mikel Obi? Do you think if he was an English talent, he would have been treated like that repeatedly? Our case is different. Look at how Gary Neville went to war with Guardiola because of Foden not getting playing time. Do you think if Foden was a Nigerian, any of them will care?

TheGoodJoe you should not be making this kind of comment.

Do you really expect Gary Neville to advocate for anything other than English players, come on. It does not matter what Gary thinks it's all noise, he can not influence Pep.

I remember when Rio Ferdinand expressed open displeasure at the unfair release of Pogba. What happened nothing.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:14pm On Dec 07, 2017
goldfish80:

I had to lecture you on Avram Grant incase it escaped you he was the manager at West Ham at the time.
West Ham in that particular season were very poor. They were in a relegation fight from start of the season till the end. At the time, they had accomplished international players like Demba Ba, Diamanti, Carlton Cole and Beni Mccarthy. It was academic they will rotate the team especially with the circumstance surrounding them that season.

Slimani haven't leaved up to his reputation. Two seasons ago, he was one of the lost sort after strikers in the world after scoring 30+goals for sporting Lisbon. I don't know his numbers with Leicester but I'm pretty sure he haven't scored up to 5 goals for the team. Its not a matter of bias or prejudice. He simply haven't performed.

Humility or no humility, Kelechi didn't make a good career decision staying back in England. A world cup striker shouldn't be playing at the U21 level.

Stone cold undiluted pure water TRUTH.

Football has moved on good enough old enough.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:16pm On Dec 07, 2017
blueto:
I have said it before that I prefer Moses as a wing back in this formation and I gave reasons for that and I believe they are justifiable reasons.

•He is good defensively
•With more freedom playing for the SE, he can perform better and cause more havoc going forward as a wing back than he performs for Chelsea. He created two clear-cut chances for Chelsea against Athletico Madrid on Tuesday in that position from the highlight I watched.
•The result yielding combination of Mikel-Iwobi-Iheancaho should be allowed to continue.

Then chose two of who to drop between Shehu, Ebuehi and Aina.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:19pm On Dec 07, 2017
forgiveness:

Sir, do you know the difference between nominated and won?

Did Ademola play for another EPL team before he joined Everton? Or you don't know the meaning of EPL?

Apology...... Tot you said won.

Even at that, he has done close to nothing
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:42pm On Dec 07, 2017
Icon4s:

Then chose two of who to drop between Shehu, Ebuehi and Aina.
Can you explicitly explain why the two from three of them need to be dropped? thanks

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 4:46pm On Dec 07, 2017
blueto:
Can you explicitly explain why the two from three of them need to be dropped? thanks

If we re to adopt d 3-5-2 formation for d world cup it would b counter productive taking 4 wing right back to d world cup,it would affect oda department of d team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:53pm On Dec 07, 2017
blueto:

We go with a Right wing back option. Meaning we need just one RWB Back-up. You pick Moses as the first choice, leaving room for one slot from the RBs.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:03pm On Dec 07, 2017
Icon4s:

We go with a Right wing back option. Meaning we need just one RWB Back-up. You pick Moses as the first choice, leaving room for one slot from the RBs.
Moses should not be selected as a wing back in the 23 man list, hr should be selected as a forward but can be deployed to the wing back role anytime it calls for it. Shehu and Ebuehi for RB/RWB and any two of Aina/Idowu/Echiejile for LB/LWB

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 5:06pm On Dec 07, 2017
elyte89:

If we re to adopt d 3-5-2 formation for d world cup it would b counter productive taking 4 wing right back to d world cup,it would affect oda department of d team
they should not be selected as wing backs. Aina was initially set to play aa LB and so was Shehu as RBs and Ebuehi but they switched to wing backs when occasion called for it

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 5:21pm On Dec 07, 2017
Watched snippets of wolfburg's training with Osumhen scoring some beautiful goals. He needs to translate training form to the field of play.

I can understand why Rohr rates him higher if that is what he shows in training.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danycrusoe(m): 5:32pm On Dec 07, 2017
Iceland are planning a friendly with Indonesia national team and a select Indonesia Eleven in January, their last friendly was a 1-1 draw against Qatar in November.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 5:32pm On Dec 07, 2017
In theory, this like up can work if you move Mikel down to replace Ogu, then move Iwobi down to in place of Mikel, and put Ighalo in Iwobi's position. Those are the pros.

The con(s): Victor Moses doesn't play with the same discipline for the Super Eagles as he does for Chelsea. He might not track back to support the defence.
It doesn't make a lot of sense to deploy your best and most creative player as a wingback.

O pari

blueto:

•He is good defensively
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 5:32pm On Dec 07, 2017
Chrismario:

Apology...... Tot you said won.

Even at that, he has done close to nothing

But he was nominated. Gbam
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 5:37pm On Dec 07, 2017
I thought it was here that someone said just this week that Kelechi was down with malaria.

He is just recovering from an illness, so by all means, let him play in the U21's...is an illness not similar to an injury?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 5:38pm On Dec 07, 2017
Danycrusoe:
Iceland are planning a friendly with Indonesia national team and a select Indonesia Eleven in January, their last friendly was a 1-1 draw against Qatar in November.
Indonesia ke?

These people are not ready at all
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by RoyalBlak007: 5:44pm On Dec 07, 2017
♤Iceland shouldn't be

♤a threat at all grin .

(1) (2) (3) ... (2304) (2305) (2306) (2307) (2308) (2309) (2310) ... (16151) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: damagnificentusb(m), Philosopher1979 and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.