Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,348 members, 7,819,237 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:10 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2388) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11691817 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2385) (2386) (2387) (2388) (2389) (2390) (2391) ... (16156) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 1:45pm On Dec 17, 2017
fabyom:
I have been an on looker for quite some years. commenting for the first time. welcome me house please
!

You are welcome to this great family.

Have fun.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 1:58pm On Dec 17, 2017
Kog45:
Better in form players?i don't think so,remember it took a grace for Ighalo to be recalled back to the team against Cameroon or are you saying Nwakaeme is better than Ideye,Ideye in Isreali league would have turned the goal chart into pieces and remember Aaron Samuel that did nothing this season got a called up against Cameroon.Sometimes only coach can explain this cos he is in charge.

why do we always like making assumptions? Kayode in the Chinese league will score more than Martins, Kelechi in the Austrian league will score more than Kayode, Ideye in the Isreali league will score more than Nwakaeme etc etc. The simple truth is that we do not know these things, we can only judge based on the present conditions and right now, Nwakaeme is scoring more than Ighalo and is in form more than he is

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 2:05pm On Dec 17, 2017
Mickael2:

why do we always like making assumptions? Kayode in the Chinese league will score more than Martins, Kelechi in the Austrian league will score more than Kayode, Ideye in the Isreali league will score more than Nwakaeme etc etc. The simple truth is that we do not know these things, we can only judge based on the present conditions and right now, Nwakaeme is scoring more than Ighalo and is in form more than he is
My man am not making assumption regards Ideye cos he has done it in a better leagues than Isreali league.

If we want to base it on current condition then why Aaron Samuel made Nigeria list against Cameroon or Nwakili against Algeria.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 2:06pm On Dec 17, 2017
Eagles goalkeepers will be ready for Russia 2018 — Agu

Super Eagles assistant coach, Alloy Agu has assured that the team will not lack quality goalkeeping at the 2018 FIFA World Cup tournament in Russia.
Agu

Agu was speaking against the background of insinuations that Super Eagles Achilles heels at the World Cup will be the man between the sticks. This is just as Vincent Enyeama’s come back to the team remains a subject of speculations. He is regarded as the country’s most experienced goalkeeper.
But Agu who manned the post for the Super Eagles at the 1990 Africa Cup of Nations said Nigerians do not need to lose any sleep as the goal tenders currently in the Eagles camp are equal to the task if Enyeama is not available.

“We are going to the World Cup and quite naturally we must go with all best players.
“We got Ikechukwu Ezenwa and Ajiboye doing well at the moment. They have made a good impression on us the coaches. They have done well and we are going to the CHAN tournament and we will see what they can do.

“We will keep on working on what we have and we are going to have a good and capable hands between now and June. With or without Enyeama will have a good goalkeeper in Russia,” said Agu yesterday.
Enyeama, last weekend played his first game in eight months for Lille’s reserve team. He lost his first position in the first team following injuries. There is optimism by Lille officials that Enyeama could get back to his best.

source: VanguardNews.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 2:39pm On Dec 17, 2017
Kog45:
Better in form players?i don't think so,remember it took a grace for Ighalo to be recalled back to the team against Cameroon or are you saying Nwakaeme is better than Ideye,Ideye in Isreali league would have turned the goal chart into pieces and remember Aaron Samuel that did nothing this season got a called up against Cameroon.Sometimes only coach can explain this cos he is in charge.

Aaron is an outsider. Maybe he was invited by Rohr to take a closer look which he failed from all indication.

Ideye has not being performing steady( to be corrected though). His SE Stat is not too good either. Currently, we have better players who are yet to be called. I think Isaac success and Osimhen has better chance of making Russia.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by peterd53(m): 2:47pm On Dec 17, 2017
Orji Okwonkwo is in the starting line up for bologna.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 2:48pm On Dec 17, 2017
fabyom:
I have been an on looker for quite some years. commenting for the first time. welcome me house please
!

You welcome Bro.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SerVik(m): 3:17pm On Dec 17, 2017
peterd53:
Orji Okwonkwo is in the starting line up for bologna.
Against juventus. Interesting

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 3:19pm On Dec 17, 2017
Chrismario:

Aaron is an outsider. Maybe he was invited by Rohr to take a closer look which he failed from all indication.

Ideye has not being performing steady( to be corrected though). His SE Stat is not too good either. Currently, we have better players who are yet to be called. I think Isaac success and Osimhen has better chance of making Russia.
double post
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 3:27pm On Dec 17, 2017
Chrismario:

Yes you are right on his present form but if we want to based it on stats did you know Ighalo will not be part of this team.

Pls can you explain why they(Success and Osimhen)have better chance cos they haven't done anything to merit a call talk less of making it to Russia

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:28pm On Dec 17, 2017
goldfish80:
Time for Forgiveness to light a cigar smiley
After playing for Holland, I’m ready for Eagles — Owobowale

Can you introduce yourself to our readers ?
Thank you . My name is Oluwasegun Owobowale , I ’ m half Nigerian and half Dutch. I ’ m 20 years old and I live in The Netherlands . I ’ ve played for ADO Den Haag but I ’m now playing for NEC Nijmegen in the Jupiler League, which is under the Eredivisie. I ’ ve also played for the Dutch national youth squads at U - 15 , U - 16 , U - 17 and U - 18 levels .
You were an unused substitute in NEC ’ s recent 6 - 0 defeat of Dordrecht . How is the season so far in the Eredivisie?
The season has been good . We are currently in the first position in the league and we are showing the fans some good football with our style of play .
Do you think NEC can gain promotion to the Eredivisie ?
Yes , I think so . If you look at our team , we have the biggest chance to win the league and gain promotion to the Eredivisie again . Team chemistry is good , everyone can find each other on - and - off the pitch. And we have good players and talents like Arnaut Danjuma Adamu Groeneveld , who is also a Nigerian talent, Ferdi Kadioglu , Frank Sturing and others .
How many games have you played so far and are you satisfied with your playing time for Adrie Bogers ’ side?
This year I ’ ve played just one game . And I ’ m happy with the chances I ’ ve got because I just came from the under 21 s . So , now every chance I get , I have to show the coach and the rest of the staff I can be an important member of the team .
You joined NEC from ADO Den Haag , where you started your career ? Can you tell us about your time there ?
Yes , I joined ADO Den Haag when I was 13 years old . When I was 16 , I signed my first contract with ADO . At the age of 17 , I played my first minutes in the Eredvisie against Cambuur . Later that year, I played against PSV with players like Memphis Depay and Georginio Wijnaldum. I had a good time at ADO , but I wanted to play more because that ’ s good when you are young . So , I left ADO and joined NEC Nijmegen . But I learnt a lot at ADO and made a lot of good friends . So , I will always remember that club ; sometimes I still visit the club to watch my friends play .
How close are you to Tyronne Ebuehi , who plays for the Super Eagles and ADO ?
Yes , Tyronne is a friend of mine . I played with him in the youth teams and in the first team ( of ADO ) . I don ’t see him a lot now but we speak with each other through our phones . And I always support him when he ’s going to the national team ( Eagles ) .
Growing up , who was your role model?
My first football shirt was that of Rivaldo , my mum bought it for me from a shop . But when I got older it was Robinho . But today it is ( Cristiano ) Ronaldo , because I like the way he puts everything he can in his dreams to be the best. My Nigerian role model has always been Obafemi Martins, what a striker he is ! I even tried to do a somersault like him ( laughs ) .
Did you do the somersaults successfully ?
No, I always landed on my back . So , I stopped trying them when I scored . I didnt break my back , so that ’ s a good thing .
Why your preference for Martins amongst Nigerian players ?
I prefer Martins because I always watched Inter Milan ’ s games . And he was scoring everyday, again and again . His first touch is always goal bound. And his celebrations were incredible . I also trained with Kenneth Omeruo in my time at ADO Den Haag .
Playing against the likes of Depay and Wijnaldum must have been memorable .
Are you hoping to play in England like them some day ?
Yes , that ’ s my dream , to play in the biggest league, like Mikel ( Obi ) , ( Austin ) Okocha , ( Joseph ) Yobo and ( Nwankwo) Kanu .
What role did your parents play in your career ?
Since day one, they played football with me; my dad is a big fan of mine . They always supported me, brought me to away games , and tournaments out of the country . They were always there for me and they still are . So , I always thank them for what they did for me . I think it’ s important that parents always support their kids ’ dreams .
You have a Nigerian dad. Is your mum Nigerian too or Dutch ?
Yes , my dad is from Nigeria and my mum is Dutch, that ’ s why I live in Holland right now . It’ s the same as Tyronne .
Why did you decide to play for Holland at youth level ? Did you get the support of your parents ?
I only had one choice because the Nigerian team never called me up for their youth teams . So , I decided to play for the Dutch squad and I played at the big tournaments . Yes , my parents always told me, “ you can choose what you want, and Nigeria will come , so it’ s your decision . ”So , if Nigeria or Holland pops up to ask me where I want to play , I would have to make a hard decision.
So , it was a hard decision picking Holland?
No, it wasn ’ t then because I had only one choice , but if both national teams will come my way now, then it will be the hardest decision to pick one.
Are you still open to a call - up to Nigeria ?
Yes of course ! I will be honoured to play for the Super Eagles .
Tyronne has been part of the Eagles set - up . Has he told you about the team ?
Yes , he told me that it is a good team with fresh , young players and a good chemistry. And that they are ready for the World Cup !
How often do you follow the Eagles ?
I watch every of their game I can , if I can find it on the internet .
How did you feel when they beat Argentina 4 - 2 with all their superstars?
I was happy for the team , Tyronne and the country because we all needed this win . This was a lesson for all of us. If you want something , you can achieve it.
What’ s your impression about the squad especially with players who have dual nationalities like you , like Tyronne , Leon Balogun, Victor Moses , Alex Iwobi , Troost -Ekong and others?
I think it’ s good to have different kind of players in a team . So you get different types of football tactics in a team , so you can play in different ways . And the young players can learn from the older players .
If you get an invitation to the national squad , what can you bring to the team ?
I can bring speed , power , technique and dribbles .
You were part of Holland’ s U - 17 team that lost the final of the Uefa U - 17 tournament to England on penalties in 2014 .
How did it feel getting so close and losing?
I felt so bad because we were so close ( to the trophy ) as a team . We did not lose one official game that whole year. And then you lose the finals with penalties , then you feel robbed .
As a left - footed player, you can play at left -back, midfield and forward positions. How did you attain the versatility ?
I ’ m fast and strong , that ’ s why I can operate as a defender or a defensive midfielder , but because I ’ ve always played as a winger, I can also make defenders have a bad day because I defend and attack . How I knew I could play in so many positions ? Honestly , I didn’ t know until my trainer said , ‘ hey , Segun , just try left- back once .’ And it all worked out well .
How much of Nigeria do you know in terms of the language, food , culture , music and more ?
Well , I know a lot of the food, because my father brought the ( Nigerian cooking ) skill with him ( to Holland ) . For the music I really listen to it every day , Wizkid , Davido , Iyanya and P- Square and much more . The language is one area I can improve on because I only know some basic sentences like ‘ how are you doing ?’ , ‘ what do you want to eat . ’ And yes, I visited Nigeria before to meet my family and have a taste of the country . That was in 2008 , but I ’ ve got family members all over the world , so every two years , we visit another country to see them all .

http://punchng.com/after-playing-for-holland-im-ready-for-eagles-owobowale/

I knew this boy through Solanke. That was when they both played the finals of the U17 European tournament which Solanke's team won.

It was through him I discovered Ehizibue and Ebuehi when they both just started their career but he was 18 then and he was not getting game time. Hence, the need not to mention him since I don't get to see him play.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:34pm On Dec 17, 2017
Joebie:
ehen just checking oh..

there is news that Sokari is already been considered for the Poland friendly.

I dey wait forgiveness and komekn etc.. We are talking about the Tunisian league here. Isn't Sokari outstanding at least?
grin

I still dey observe.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:50pm On Dec 17, 2017
Kog45:
Yes you are right on his present form but if we want to based it on stats did you know Ighalo will not be part of this team.

Pls can you explain why they(Success and Osimhen)have better chance cos they haven't done anything to merit a call talk less of making it to Russia

My Comment is based on their consistent inclusion in Rohr's list. Sorry to say that it's more of coach's preference than merit.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 3:54pm On Dec 17, 2017
Chrismario:

My Comment is based on their consistent inclusion in Rohr's list. Sorry to say that it's more of coach's preference than merit.
is Success a consistent part of Rohr's list?

He has only had two invites, he honoured one and was played as a sub....we haven't seen him since then.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 3:58pm On Dec 17, 2017
Chrismario:

That's my point 'PREFERENCE'cos if we want to base it on form i don't think they deserves it,meaning if Ideye is in good list of Rohr's preference players he would definitely make the team irrespective of his form or what do you think
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:00pm On Dec 17, 2017
Kog45:

Ideye is not even playing games... you can invite a clubless player to the team.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:01pm On Dec 17, 2017
safarigirl:
is Success a consistent part of Rohr's list?

He has only had two invites, he honoured one and was played as a sub....we haven't seen him since then.
He was called against zambia, played against Senegal, can't recall but I think there was a time he withdrew due to injury
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:04pm On Dec 17, 2017
Kog45:
That's my point 'PREFERENCE'cos if we want to base it on form i don't think they deserves it,meaning if Ideye is in good list of Rohr's preference players he would definitely make the team irrespective of his form or what do you think

It's how it is. Mikel Arteta comes to mind
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:06pm On Dec 17, 2017
tbaba1234:

Ideye is not even playing games... you can invite a clubless player to the team.
I'm not holding brief for his invitation.On his clubless i don't know cos i remember he moved to China this season.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:07pm On Dec 17, 2017
Odey in the starting lineup again-

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 4:09pm On Dec 17, 2017
Chrismario:

He was called against zambia, played against Senegal, can't recall but I think there was a time he withdrew due to injury
he didn't make it for the Zambian game, so technically, he has one senior cap and hasn't been capped since March or so this year. He hasn't even gotten a call

You can hardly say Rohr prefers him

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:09pm On Dec 17, 2017
Chrismario:

It's how it is. Mikel Arteta comes to mind
I gbadun your analysis cos a lot w keep on saying invitation is based only on merit.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:09pm On Dec 17, 2017
tbaba1234:

Clubless?
The last I read about him was last season when he was demoted to reserve team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Magink: 4:26pm On Dec 17, 2017
tbaba1234:

According to the recent interview I listened to on Lagos talks, Ideye said he declined invitation from the coach cos he wasn't playing and he felt it wasn't fair on other players to be invited when he's actually not playing.
Said the coach assured him that when he gets a club or when he starts playing for his Chinese club he will be recalled.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:27pm On Dec 17, 2017
safarigirl:
he didn't make it for the Zambian game, so technically, he has one senior cap and hasn't been capped since March or so this year. He hasn't even gotten a call

You can hardly say Rohr prefers him

I understands you but I'm not talking of cap but invitation.
He was called for the first leg at Ndola, called against Senegal, Corsica and South Africa. Was also in one list like that but withdrew due to injury I think.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 4:29pm On Dec 17, 2017
Kog45:
I gbadun your analysis cos a lot w keep on saying invitation is based only on merit.
nothing can solely be on merit.

Your first invitation can be based on merit, but consequently, you will need more than just merit. If the coach was inviting people based on merit, do you know how many different players will be in camp every international break?

If the coach likes a player OE his work rate, he gets invites. Maybe Rohr doesn't like Ideye's style very much
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 4:31pm On Dec 17, 2017
Chrismario:

I understands you but I'm not talking of cap but invitation.
He was called for the first leg at Ndola, called against Senegal, Corsica and South Africa. Was also in one list like that but withdrew due to injury I think.
he was doing okay that time...we'll see for next time sha
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Magink: 4:36pm On Dec 17, 2017
Ideye also said that he was depressed for a month when he wasn't invited for the last world cup and he wanted to lash out on some peeps on Twitter and expose them but had a change of heart.
He said it wasn't fair on people who worked so hard to qualify, people who gave their all to the nation not to be called up for the world cup.
I heard it on Lagos talks 91.3 end of last month

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:38pm On Dec 17, 2017
Magink:

According to the recent interview I listened to on Lagos talks, Ideye said he declined invitation from the coach cos he wasn't playing and he felt it wasn't fair on other players to be invited when he's actually not playing.
Said the coach assured him that when he gets a club or when he starts playing for his Chinese club he will be recalled.
Thanks for this comment cos it put an end to our arguments.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 4:44pm On Dec 17, 2017
Chrismario:

Clubless?
The last I read about him was last season when he was demoted to reserve team.
According to magnik he is not clubless still with Teja but need to sort things out with the club,likely playing for the reserve just like Ahmed Musa ia doing at Leicester.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:47pm On Dec 17, 2017
safarigirl:
he was doing okay that time...we'll see for next time sha

He might possibly be back soon.
Made back-to-back bench grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:48pm On Dec 17, 2017
safarigirl:
lol grin

You are welcome to the thread brother, we look forward to your contributions. Joebie is in charge of Udeme, collect a bottle from him
What's Udeme?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2385) (2386) (2387) (2388) (2389) (2390) (2391) ... (16156) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Ajd19, opes, elyte89 and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.