Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,449 members, 7,850,568 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 03:43 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2501) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11865576 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2498) (2499) (2500) (2501) (2502) (2503) (2504) ... (16250) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 3:01pm On Jan 02, 2018
Lo, the 80,000th post goes to humility017. what did he type? lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 3:05pm On Jan 02, 2018
OMANBALA1:

Well, we played both (Mikel and Ogu) against Argentina and it worked perfectly well. The only thing to take is that Ogu will have to sit deep and let Ndidi roam. And dont tell me Ndidi cant play in the central midfield because he can play good passes and with his insane energy it will be sufficient.
Onazi, on his part has enormous strength but his ball playing ability is very limited ,so is Ekong who is also very strong but the down side is that when the world cup comes there will be zero rooms for mistakes. all those passes Onazi and Ekong give away will be utilized by opposing defenders to punish us. The era of old-style ,combative, hard-tackling jam body defensive midfielders is phasing out. I want a ball player with good positioning and aware of his surroundings. Daalu ,sor.
you're very right though.....
I agree wit you.... but safarigurl explanation I am okay wit...it all depends on the opponent' we are playing
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 3:05pm On Jan 02, 2018
edi287:

Madrid already have Case for that. Unless Case is leaving, Ndidi would be foolish to go to madrid even if the opportunity came across. Apart from Kovacic and Case, they have Llorente and Ceballos still in the reserves.
We both know these guys, on current form dont match him, save goalscoring. His stat vs atletico had me totally convinced. But as usual, no one, media join, wanted to give him the hype he deserves/ed.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 3:06pm On Jan 02, 2018
daveP:
awwwww...that's nice.
I never knew...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 3:09pm On Jan 02, 2018
Mickael2:

Lord Ajagun that leaps like an antelope and runs like a gazzete
Lol.....please don't make me laugh...my lungs out.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Naijaphobia(m): 3:21pm On Jan 02, 2018
grin

junnyjake:
1. Most Controversial Poster - Forgiveness

2. Most Interactive Poster - TheGoodJoe

3. Most Intelligent Poster - goldfish80

4. Most Resourceful Poster - tbaba1234

5. Most Respectful Poster - daveP

6. Most Consistent Poster - Joebie

7. Most Positive Poster - TheSuperNerd

8. Best Sense of Humor - Taliban

9. Most Critical Poster - Mickael2

10. Nicest Poster - Kog45

11. Most Influential Poster - Komekn

12. Most Pro-Foreign Born Poster - forgiveness

13. Most Pro-Naija League Poster - Dannycrusoe

14. People's Favourite - safarigirl

15. Most Sentimental - Humility017

16. Notorious Silent Reader - Esose9

17. Impressive Thread Newbie - Jarus

18. Diehard Super Eagles Fan - TheSuperNerd

19. Best Friends - Forgiveness & Komekn

20. Most Outstanding Poster - Icon4s

21. Overall Best Poster - Mujtahida

22. Top Dramatic Topics - Tammy's allegiance, Nacho's performances.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:26pm On Jan 02, 2018
daveP:

you welc sir... grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 3:29pm On Jan 02, 2018
Humility017:

the Argentina squad we played against will be very different from the one we will be playing come June this year....likewise the change in the Nigeria side....

I am not against both playing in same match...but it will do better we have two fast Midfieders to compliment mikel lack of pace in the middle......

But we sef wont be the same na? Why do yall make it look like when others are working hard, we are resting on our oars?
Keep in mind that as thwy are playing their friendlies, we also are playing , also blending, working together.. in case you havent noticed, the team will also be camping for at least a month. U think say na ten-ten dem go dey do for camp?

Lemme be honest with you as you dey fear the croatians, or Argies so also they are fearing us. Whatever you read in the news, its all mind games. Its a case of who wants it the most.

Lemme even ask you sef. Is it that you prefer that the super eagles lost the match against Argentina? Question 2 is what would av been your narrative if we had lost? We won, its a problem; we lose, its katakata... which one sef? Pray for better understanding in the team, mental resilience, brave football, excellent and infallible tactics. Dasall!

O pari!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:18pm On Jan 02, 2018
HOTSHOT: Onuachu Is Nigeria’s Top Scorer In 2017; Beats Onyekuru, Okpotu, Ighalo

Midtjylland of Denmark striker, Paul Onuachu, has emerged Nigeria’s top goalscorer in 2017, finishing the calendar year three goals ahead of Anderlecht of Belgium striker Henry Onyekuru, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Onuachu scored 26 goals in 41 games for Midtjylland in 2017. His goals for Midtjylland include four braces and one hat trick.

The 23-year-old bagged braces against Nordsjælland home and away in the Danish Super Liga, and against AaB and Brondby. Onuachu’s only hat trick in 2017 was against Derry City in the UEFA Europa League.

Also, Nigerian international Henry Onyekuru who has two international caps to his name, continued his fine scoring form on loan at Anderlecht from Everton, netting 10 times so far in the 2017/18 campaign to take his total to 23 goals in 50 games in all competitions in 2017 for club and country.

Onyekuru scored a brace against KSV Roeselare over two legs and also against KV Kortrijk in their 3-2 win in the Belgian play-offs in May.

The former Eupen ace scored 24 goals, got nine assists in 41 appearances in all competitions last season for Eupen before he signed for Everton and was loaned to Anderlecht at the start of the 2017/18 season.

Home Eagles forward, Anthony Okpotu, also scored 19 goals for Lobi stars in 2017 to finish as the Nigerian Professional Football League top scorer in the 2017/18 season.

Odion Ighalo who joined Chinese club Changchun Yatai at the start of 2017 scored 17 goals, providing eight assists in 51 games for club and country in the outgoing year.

Ighalo’s only goal for the Super Eagles in four games in 2017 was against Cameroon in Uyo which Nigeria won 4-0.

Girona’s Kayode Olanrewaju also scored 10 goals in 36 games this year to take fifth spot with none of those goals coming in the colours of Girona where he currently plays.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/otshot-onuachu-nigerias-top-scorer-2017-beats-onyekuru-okpotu-ighalo/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2tu7K66EY8

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 4:33pm On Jan 02, 2018
Humility017:

the list won't amaze me...that much...what will gladden my heart @ this point is when other goalies are given the opportunity to impress....rather than keep sticking wit ezenwa

Oh, boy, did Ezenwa let me down against Algeria ? Ezenwa was repeatedly exposed by the Algerians and his aerial ability is zero and I was kind of glad we discovered this now because like say we carry the guy go world cup dem for finish beating us black and blue and even develop new colors untop our head...chai . Ezenwa is definitely not a first choice and he is not even certain of second choice neither is he sure of going to the world cup. Akpeyi own case is even stronger, his village jazzmen are living in the orbit, you cant touch them! The only hope now is Uzoho ,yet , he has not been thoroughly tested but I will start Akpeyi ahead of Ezenwa.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 4:41pm On Jan 02, 2018
Most of Paul Onuachu goals are tap-ins and his height is a concern for me. Another Peter Crouch ?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by congo4ka: 4:43pm On Jan 02, 2018
CHAN player list is out, I feel sorry for Ezenwa sha cheesy

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 4:45pm On Jan 02, 2018
OMANBALA1:

Oh, boy, did Ezenwa let me down against Algeria ? Ezenwa was repeatedly exposed by the Algerians and his aerial ability is zero and I was kind of glad we discovered this now because like say we carry the guy go world cup dem for finish beating us black and blue and even develop new colors untop our head...chai . Ezenwa is definitely not a first choice and he is not even certain of second choice neither is he sure of going to the world cup. Akpeyi own case is even stronger, his village jazzmen are living in the orbit, you cant touch them! The only hope now is Uzoho ,yet , he has not been thoroughly tested but I will start Akpeyi ahead of Ezenwa.
whenever akpeyi plays for the super eagles he always concede goals.....
I will rather field a defender as a goalie than have akpeyi in goal....
you're right on akpeyi and ezenwa both goalies are problem on their own.....
don't be surprised if maduka okoye steal the show in camp....when he is invited..

even at that alloy agu sentiments as regard goalies selection still remain a problem that needs to be solved...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 4:46pm On Jan 02, 2018
congo4ka:
talk to us what happened...? was he dropped?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 4:47pm On Jan 02, 2018
OMANBALA1:

Eh -en? You will start akpeyi ahead of Ezenwa. Person wey no dey under any sort of pressure wey dash Aguero free kick for free abi? Aerial balls on the part of Ezenwa can be worked on. The kain disease wen the 2 keepers get dey too different. Nor dey compare sleep and death my brother. Akpeyi case na ICU(code Red) . Ezenwa own na paracetMol 3 tablets 5 times a day.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:50pm On Jan 02, 2018
1. Most Controversial Poster - TheGoodJoe - To drill or not to drill.

2. Most Interactive Poster - TheGoodJoe

3. Most Intelligent Poster - TheSuperNerd

4. Most Resourceful Poster - Tbaba1234

5. Most Respectful Poster - TheGoodJoe

6. Most Consistent Poster - Joebie

7. Most Positive Poster - TheGoodJoe

8. Best Sense of Humor - O pari icon79 + TheSuperNerd

9. Most Critical Poster - Michael2 + Goldfish80 + Icon4s + tbaba1234

10. Nicest Poster - tglobal

11. Most Influential Poster - Joseph1013 + Icon4s

12. Most Pro-Foreign Born Poster - Komekn

13. Most Pro-Naija League Poster - Dannycrusoe + Danielnino00

14. People's Favourite - safarigirl

15. Most Sentimental - Forgiveness

16. Notorious Silent Reader - Eseose9

17. Impressive Thread Newbie - Jarus + Eseose9

18. Diehard Super Eagles Fan - ALL OF US

19. Best Friends - TheGoodJoe & Safarigirl

20. Most Outstanding Poster - Joebie + TheSuperNerd

21. Overall Best Poster - Joebie

22. Top Dramatic Topics - School & Football + Iheanacho & drills + Stephen Odey [/quote]
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 5:00pm On Jan 02, 2018
Icon4s:

you welc sir... grin
What a welcome. gwg will win(mic switches off) lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 5:03pm On Jan 02, 2018
Ezenwa no make list? shuu? i smell bribery and kwaraption!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 5:08pm On Jan 02, 2018
OMANBALA1:
Most of Paul Onuachu goals are tap-ins and his height is a concern for me. Another Peter Crouch ?

dont you think that is height is an added advantage , he can make use of his head , also very skilful ... we will need that kind of player when we re playing a very tactical game ... my take

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 5:11pm On Jan 02, 2018
daveP:
Ezenwa no make list? shuu? i smell bribery and kwaraption!

I am pretty sure that Ezenwa won't be dropped.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 5:16pm On Jan 02, 2018
congo4ka:

Oga, post the list.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 5:19pm On Jan 02, 2018
lexyman:

dont you think that is height is an added advantage , he can make use of his head , also very skilful ... we will need that kind of player when we re playing a very tactical game ... my take

At the same measure it could be a hindrance, his movement will be limited due to his large size.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 5:19pm On Jan 02, 2018
Ezenwa is gonna make the CHAN list without doubt...

And he is very much likely to make the world cup list too either as first choice(God forbid) or 3rd Choice..

Its Akpeyi that should be worried...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 5:22pm On Jan 02, 2018
OMANBALA1:

After watching the Algeria vs Nigeria dead-rubber tie and the friendly against Argentina so many times nobody can convince me Onazi is a better option than Ogu in that defensive midfield. I paid close attention specifically to Ogu, Iwobi and Ekong just to better understand their strength and weaknesses but I will focus on Ogu for the sake of this post. In positioning Ogu is better than Onazi of today, he knows how to cover the gaps that could open penetration from opponents. In tackles, Ogu is more cleaner and hardly draws any caution. He knows when to drift and when not to, his ball control and short swift passes are beauty to behold something Onazi has no knowledge of. To add to these great qualities Ogu can play both defensive and central midfield.

Onazi's place in the starting eleven is not concrete anymore and if I were to make the selection as it stands now Onazi will have to start from the bench.
Exactly my thoughts about Ogu. The guy is far more technical and composed that Onazi. His correct positioning in closing down opposition attacking advances as you rightly posted about is another factor that gets him ahead of Onazi for me. Onazi is a workaholic in terms of marking, and that's all I see of him. No disrespect.

I just hope Rohr takes note of this. It's important.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 5:23pm On Jan 02, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

I am pretty sure that Ezenwa won't be dropped.
I hope so too. Chan would be the last berth that gives him a seat on the plane to russia
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 5:25pm On Jan 02, 2018
Humility017:

whenever akpeyi plays for the super eagles he always concede goals.....
I will rather field a defender as a goalie than have akpeyi in goal....
you're right on akpeyi and ezenwa both goalies are problem on their own.....
don't be surprised if maduka okoye steal the show in camp....when he is invited..

even at that alloy agu sentiments as regard goalies selection still remain a problem that needs to be solved...

I have a feeling Akpeyi is just nervous because according to reports from his club he is actually decent. We will have to see Maduka.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 5:27pm On Jan 02, 2018
Emenike Demoted To Olympiakos Reserves, Set For Exit

By Johnny Edward:

Former Super Eagles striker Emmanuel Emenike has been told he will not play for the Olympiakos first team again after being banished to train with the club’s youth team players for the remainder of the season.

The 30-year-old signed a two-year deal at Olympiakos last summer for a reported fee of €2.5m as a direct replacement for compatriot Brown Ideye who joined Tianjin TEDA, but has failed to impress since joining the club.

Turkish outlet reported that a decision will be taken on Emenike’s future at the club in the coming weeks because it is in their best interest not to include the player who clearly wants to leave and might, therefore, cause disruption, even inadvertently.

Potential moves back to Turkish club Kayserispor fell through over the striker’s personal terms, with Emenike reluctant to take a pay cut according to report.

Despite scoring four goals (three in the Greek Cup and one in the UEFA Champions League) for Olympiakos since his arrival, Emenike is yet to find the back of the net in the Greek League in five games since his arrival and has not been in Olympiakos’ matchday squad in the last 15 games.

The former Karabukspor, Fenerbahçe, Spartak Moscow, Al Ain and West Ham star has not featured for the club in their last 15 games and it is unlikely he will feature in the second half of the season.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 5:36pm On Jan 02, 2018
OMANBALA1:

I have a feeling Akpeyi is just nervous because according to reports from his club he is actually decent. We will have to see Maduka.

Based on my own little findings, top soccer teams make use of seasoned psychologists to psyche the players (and even the coaching crew). In fact, these psychologists form part of the technical crew.

In my own opinion, Rohr doubling as a coach and a psychologist may not be ideal especially during stressful games when he may be preoccupied with tactics and game reading.

Akpeyi may just need a good psychologist to help him deal with his anxiety

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 5:40pm On Jan 02, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Exactly my thoughts about Ogu. The guy is far more technical and composed that Onazi. His correct positioning in closing down opposition attacking advances as you rightly posted about is another factor that gets him ahead of Onazi for me. Onazi is a workaholic in terms of marking, and that's all I see of him. No disrespect.

I just hope Rohr takes note of this. It's important.

Some people are of the opinion that his lack of pace is an disadvantage , and my response is an example in Ahmed Musa who is probably the player with the highest pace but he is no good to the team. Pace is not a determining factor ,a very technical player like Ogu does not all the pace in the world not when he is not playing AM.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 5:47pm On Jan 02, 2018
Nigeria vs Zambia game is being shown on supersports
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:03pm On Jan 02, 2018
joseph1013:

Okay...so they qualify for playoff even if at the end of the season, they are in the bottom 10 in the league?

I also find it curious that they are deemed to have topped the league in the winter break when the second best team, NEC, has a game in hand, a game if they win will put them at the top of the league.

Yes.

I also observed that NEC had a game in hand.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:08pm On Jan 02, 2018
Chima Akas has joined Kalmar FF in Sweden

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2498) (2499) (2500) (2501) (2502) (2503) (2504) ... (16250) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Ppogbae and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.