Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,919 members, 7,848,713 topics. Date: Monday, 03 June 2024 at 09:12 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (2750) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11852818 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2747) (2748) (2749) (2750) (2751) (2752) (2753) ... (16246) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:22am On Feb 04, 2018
Icon4s:

Based on strength of attack/nature of opposition faced and importance of games played. Ezenwa had the strongest test. So he comes out top for me.
Yes Ezenwa is ahead but despite nature of opposition it seems Rohr doesn't trust him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:22am On Feb 04, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

That's a lie, plenty of players have made it into the SE while playing in the NPFL even under Rohr. I have no issue with him going abroad but that should not be his mission in life he should focus on his development. Are u guaranteeing me that he is going to be good enough to play for Madrid or Barca?

I am lying? aside Ezenwa which NPFL player has made any match day squad under Rohr?

His going to play abroad is it not to get better development opportunity?

If he stays in the NPFL he stands a less chance of getting that development.

And I didn't guarantee he will be good enough for the Madrid or Barca, I only said he may be nursing that dream/ ambition and he has every right to.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:24am On Feb 04, 2018
Kog45:
Yes Ezenwa is ahead but despite nature of opposition it seems Rohr doesn't trust him.

"Ezenwa is ahead". That is what I am talking about. EOD.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 11:26am On Feb 04, 2018
Most of their players aren't academy players, most are pros.

Doing well on the continent is another ball game entirely. Their debut and I am not expecting anything from them. If they achieve anything, then they have tried.
jihday:
Basco, somehow and other ardent followers of the local league, with MFM bad traveling record coupled with the fact that most of their players are young academy players, do you think they'll do well on the continent? we really need to go far this time around I think since sunshine stars made it to the semifinals I'm not sure any Nigerian side have done well on the continent. we can't afford to wait for a very long time before we win it again. these North African sides no get 2 heads na and it's not like they play better than us.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:29am On Feb 04, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

IMO Ajiboye is simply head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to clear cut chances faced. I swear I am still recovering from those saves grin grin grin
Truly those chances were daring and it takes a good keepers to save them,Ajiboye did well,let see him more against Morocco.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:31am On Feb 04, 2018
Mujtahida:
Guys I got an interesting book from a WhatsApp forum I belong to on how Germany won the last WC (Title:Das reboot). If anyone is interested in the book just drop your email and I will send the book to you.

The book details how the Germans engineered the 2014 success, how they went about it deliberately, setting things up from say roughly 2002. It tells of how German players are educated to become thoroughbred professionals. It tells the story of the establishment of football academies and playing centers spread out throughout Germany in a way similar to how the RCCG church establishes a parish in every 1km (walking distance). It talks about the potpourri of human resources the Germans utilized- they even involved the German national hockey team coach, a world renowned adventurer and SAP (the largest software company in the world)

It's 289 pages, written in quite an engaging way with a happy, lighthearted tone wrapped up in simple, crisp English.

Football is no longer kick, dribble, run, score. It has become scientific, indeed almost a pure science. This much became apparent to me when due to the constant use of terms like pressing, diamond shape, tactical formations by goodjoe, Mickael2 and others. Joebie reintroduced me again to four four two online after I'd read the hardcopies long time ago. Reading four four two magazine further reinforced the view that football is an intellectual endeavour.

We are here today. Nobody knows who among us might be involved with our football tomorrow. So reading such a book can birth a dream in our hearts or at least give us insight on how things are shaping up beyond our climes. Reading Icon4s mention Osimhen in his exchange with goodjoe, I remembered the book and I think Osimhen is just now getting educated. Our footballer play football. Europeans are educated from 6 years on to play football. That's the difference between Iwobi said Osimhen. Street cannot measure up anymore to the refinements of an educated footballer. That era is long gone.

When I heard about the University of football way back in 2010, I knew football yaff chabged
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:31am On Feb 04, 2018
jihday:
Basco, somehow and other ardent followers of the local league, with MFM bad traveling record coupled with the fact that most of their players are young academy players, do you think they'll do well on the continent? we really need to go far this time around I think since sunshine stars made it to the semifinals I'm not sure any Nigerian side have done well on the continent. we can't afford to wait for a very long time before we win it again. these North African sides no get 2 heads na and it's not like they play better than us.

MFM has not been poor this season but they don't have that same spark that they had last year. The thing is that, yes they are missing Stephen Odey who to me was hands down the deadliest striker last season but going forward has never been their problem. Their defense is just terrible to say the least and they did not reinforce for this season. That said I think the team has a good fighting spirit that might help them in a favourable draw.

I have already declared my love Akwa but I think Plateau united will surprise people in the continent. Enyimba are going to be playing in Calabar with a brand new coach so I honestly don't know what to expect from them except that they should make the group stage.

Winning the whole thing takes a whole lot of luck but teams should at least be competitive this year.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:31am On Feb 04, 2018
Icon4s:

"Ezenwa is ahead". That is what I am talking about. EOD.
But my question why is Rohr not satisfied with Ezenwa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 11:33am On Feb 04, 2018
goldfish80:

I will advice Joel Obi like I will advice my own brother. I think it was time he quit the game, he should stop punishing himself and his body.
I have a feeling he has very bad bio mechanics. Something must be patently wrong with him to suffer injuries as much as he has.
I had a friend back in school who was a very good athlete but has unfortunate bio mechanics, something about the way he walks, his body stature and movement made him prone to injures.

It is sad to see great players hang their boots very early due to injuries. I rate Marco Van Basten the greatest striker of all time but it was sad to see such a pure talent quit the game at just 27 due to niggling injuries.

Joel Obi must talk to his family and come to the best decision in his own interest. There's life after football.
His body needs a rest. If he doesn't obey his body, he will definitely not enjoy old age.
u mean he is on path of likes of santi carzola,abou diaby, Eduardo da Silva etc??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:39am On Feb 04, 2018
Icon4s:

I am lying? aside Ezenwa which NPFL player has made any match day squad under Rohr?

His going to play abroad is it not to get better development opportunity?

If he stays in the NPFL he stands a less chance of getting that development.

And I didn't guarantee he will be good enough for the Madrid or Barca, I only said he may be nursing that dream/ ambition and he has every right to.

Chisom Egbuchalam made the squad in Zambia. I am not saying players should not go abroad but develop them first. Look at Alhassan Ibrahim, instead of wasting his time globetrotting Europe on trials he played in the NPFL and in that time he even got a call for the national team and when he left he was able to walk right into the first team of an Austrian side and start against AC Milan in the Europa League. If he didn't wait to the develop in the league he might till this day have still been going on trials.

Fidelis Ilechukwu is a good coach and has proven with Stephen Odey that he is a good player developer. The boy is in good hands.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:39am On Feb 04, 2018
Kog45:
But my question why is Rohr not satisfied with Ezenwa.

I am also not satisfied with him either. Not just him, but any of the goalies.

Threat from an Angola, Sudanese or a homebased Guinean side is nothing compared to what is obtainable at the regular AFCON and WC qualifiers let alone the WC.

As I said before, It is going to be a tough tough decision for Rohr to assign Uzoho as first choice, no matter the amount of personal training and coaching he receives.

The WC is for men.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:44am On Feb 04, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Chisom Egbuchalam made the squad in Zambia. I am not saying players should not go abroad but develop them first. Look at Alhassan Ibrahim, instead of wasting his time globetrotting Europe on trials he played in the NPFL and in that time he even got a call for the national team and when he left he was able to walk right into the first team of an Austrian side and start against AC Milan in the Europa League. If he didn't wait to the develop in the league he might till this day have still been going on trials.

Fidelis Ilechukwu is a good coach and has proven with Stephen Odey that he is a good player developer. The boy is in good hands.

Chisom Egbuchulam. Just one player from all the NPFL players and in all the WC qualifiers. Yet you say I am lying.

Look I am not saying he should not start his trade in the NPFL. Recall I said he should have his early development here and then move to Europe. What you are defending I don't understand self.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:44am On Feb 04, 2018
Kog45:
Truly those chances were daring and it takes a good keepers to save them,Ajiboye did well,let see him more against Morocco.

I hope he doesn't need to be so miraculous because that would mean our defense is doing its job.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 11:52am On Feb 04, 2018
somehow:
Most of their players aren't academy players, most are pros.

Doing well on the continent is another ball game entirely. Their debut and I am not expecting anything from them. If they achieve anything, then they have tried.
yes they are pros but must of them were groomed from their academy, it's a very model for a club without any serious ambitions but if they want to win the league, fa cup, and the African trophies then I think they should find other ways to improve the team. even their coach has been there for a very long time I think.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:52am On Feb 04, 2018
Icon4s:

Chisom Egbuchulam. Just one player from all the NPFL players and in all the WC qualifiers. Yet you say I am lying.

Look I am not saying he should not start his trade in the NPFL. Recall I said he should have his early development here and then move to Europe. What you are defending I don't understand self.

U asked for one player boss. Or do u want to change your question after asking it?

I am not defending anything, I just said Europe should not be the focus concerning the young man but development.
I wasn't arguing with u from the beginning I only said that we should be developing our players at home if all was well with our structure.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:57am On Feb 04, 2018
andrew444:

Uduokai is not bad,but sorry not a world class prospect yet okay stop hyping someone you have not watch his game,he played only 17 times in the bundesliga 2017,you guys just feel any half cast is always good and automatic,if he is want to play for Nigeria after World Cup he should come for the qualifiers,if he was invited will he come? Just the way Ekong and balogun did,una want monkey dey work baboon dey chop
God bless you 10 times for this true talk wey u yarn, my brother.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 12:04pm On Feb 04, 2018
Kog45:
OK you are right but with what we have seen so far.

Akpeyi against South Africa, Argentina,

Uzoho against Argentina,

Ezenwa against Cameroon,Zambia, Algeria,Angola

Ajiboye against Guinea, Sudan,

Pls pick your number one
they played different number of matches. You don't pick a player that way
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 12:04pm On Feb 04, 2018
somehow:
I think the person i quoted called the player above average and a world class prospect and i challenged that notion. Are you referring to that comment?

Not totally.

That notion has been implied by many on here in the past just felt the need to step in to make corrections.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 12:08pm On Feb 04, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Screen and select the best. Age, Experience or club status is just sentimental selection. We need the best in goal.

Finito.
Exactly
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:23pm On Feb 04, 2018
Icon4s:

Match day condition is different from training conditions bro. That is my point.
If a player is poor in training, there is no Super power to make him better in match day condition.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:26pm On Feb 04, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

U asked for one player boss. Or do u want to change your question after asking it?

I am not defending anything, I just said Europe should not be the focus concerning the young man but development.
I wasn't arguing with u from the beginning I only said that we should be developing our players at home if all was well with our structure.

But now, all is not well with our Structure. It is even terrible to the point the players do not even have good pitches to train on.

The best bet is to export our best talents for nurturing and grooming in the best academies and clubs until we fix our development Structure.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by siralos135: 12:27pm On Feb 04, 2018
Mujtahida:

Abeg your email address again
seeolusolaopaleye@gmail.com

Many thanks oga Mujtahida
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by siralos135: 12:27pm On Feb 04, 2018
Mujtahida:

Abeg your email address again
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:31pm On Feb 04, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

But now, all is not well with our Structure. It is even terrible to the point the players do not even have good pitches to train on.

The best bet is to export our best talents for nurturing and grooming in the best academies and clubs until we fix our development Structure.

That is the reality on ground. I don't just understand what Bascovanveli is defending.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:33pm On Feb 04, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

If a player is poor in training, there is no Super power to make him better in match day condition.

If Akpeyi was poor in training do you think Rohr and his crew would still have such vested confidence in him?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:35pm On Feb 04, 2018
Icon4s:

If Akpeyi was poor in training do you think Rohr and his crew would still have such vested confidence in him?

He never stood out in training. Alampasu was ahead followed by Ezenwa. So no need putting Rohr in the equation because Rohr showed he did not like and trust the Goalkeeper trainer of the team, Alloy Agu and brought in a foreigner.

Finito.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:36pm On Feb 04, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Did I say he was going to Europe to hawk bread?

Is it not to continue with his development in Europe that I am talking about?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:37pm On Feb 04, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

He never stood out in training. Alampasu was ahead followed by Ezenwa. So no need putting Rohr in the equation because Rohr showed he did not like and trust the Goalkeeper trainer of the team, Alloy Agu and brought in a foreigner.

Finito.

I can see as you are a member of the technical crew.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:39pm On Feb 04, 2018
Icon4s:

I can see as you are a member of the technical crew.

Rohr showed his distaste by bringing in a foreigner to work with the keepers. If not, we would not be talking Ajiboye today.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:41pm On Feb 04, 2018
The Success Of Spain: A Lesson For Every Football Nation
https://www.nairaland.com/3019225/success-spain-lesson-every-football

cc: Mujtahida

I do not know if you have read this.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:42pm On Feb 04, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Which teams don't have good pitches to train on?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 12:42pm On Feb 04, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Rohr showed his distaste by bringing in a foreigner to work with the keepers. If not, we would not be talking Ajiboye today.

Just like the New Keeper trainer blanked out Alampasu, who you claim is always the best in camp.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (2747) (2748) (2749) (2750) (2751) (2752) (2753) ... (16246) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: abbey086(m), Meliforme and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.