Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,808 members, 7,862,670 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 10:44 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3156) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11942023 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3153) (3154) (3155) (3156) (3157) (3158) (3159) ... (16354) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:14am On Mar 25, 2018
andrew444:

Then tell me the keeper that can learn those things ?

Some people will be calling for ajiboye on this thread,maybe they think chan is a world stage,they will still be the ones to blame the ajiboye if he makes a little mistake,make we manage the uzoho wey we get abeg,we are not the team with the worst goal keeper
Sir thank you for this comment.I think it's time for us to differentiate analytical comments from emotional comments.If we can do it then good for this thread.

I remember icon4s came out and said Ajiboye is better than Uzoho and i wasn't surprised cos i know icon4s very well he doesn't rate Uzoho and in football circle it's normal not to rate a player,no offence and with what he saw against Poland especially in the 1st half did not changed his mind.

Icon4s i know is not a rigid type cos any good performance from Uzoho don't be surprised seeing him eulogising the young lad,so sometimes we need to look at the angle of our comments here before quote.

I read Solace Chuckwu view on Uzoho and i saw a balance report and if that report was from any moniker here,i know some would come for his head.

I read TheSuperNerd,Joebie,tbaba1234 and see solid balance review on Uzoho performance and it centred around the young man need more games to build his confidence which Solace Chuckwu was emphasising on.

On Ajiboye,well you have valid point,any mistake we will still complain, that's fans for you but i think keeping in CHAN is a good experience cos i remember Enyeama and Ejide did not have any international experience before making their debuts.

My call for Ajiboye inclusion is cleared for those who understand the game very well,not necessary as number one but i see him as the only keeper that will bring the best out of Uzoho not Ezenwa or Akpeyi cos if Ajiboye had the opportunity of Ezenwa or Akpeyi in Eagles i can bet it with you nobody would call for Uzoho.

Uzoho as number one need deputy that will make him to always be on his toes and this happened during Westerhoff era,Agbonavbare brought out the best in Peter Rufai and we can see it at US 94,check France 98 we lack qualities on the bench and we paid dearly for it.

Pls check Nigeria against Sudan,Ezenwa got injured and Ajiboye came in and gave solid performance that brought up questions that is Ezenwa better?with that Ezenwa knew Ajiboye is there and it will definitely pushed Ezenwa for better performance seeing Ajiboye on the bench.

This is the rivalry i want for Uzoho as number one and with what we have now i don't see Ezenwa and Akpeyi doing that cos we have seen enough of them,unless we don't want Uzoho to grow as keeper we want at WC.

In Enyimba right now Fatau Dauda is the first choice and Ezenwa performance in his first match for Enyimba was damn terrible for international keeper and brought up a lot of questions on what criteria he is always getting national team invitation but my answer is Cameroon and Zambia match,still his major weapon to national call cos he did well.

Akpeyi has lost the confidence of Nigerians even me that believe so much in him,his howler against Argentina did not help his cause but Rohr still see him as good keeper just like Westerhoff kept faith with Alloy Agu.

I think with Uzoho performance against Poland i will give him 50% based on quality he displayed but based on his age and experience i will give him 70% so with more matches we are having our number one and only thing that w denied him that is himself not Rohr cos manager has made up his mind to build him toward WC.

But i see Ajiboye has a good quality keeper that will bring the best out of Uzoho cos the quality is there though some may not agree but that's it and my opinion.

16 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nelszx: 9:19am On Mar 25, 2018
fabyom:
Our midfield was not poor up till the time Joel was substituted. We coped very well to the extent that lewandoski was removed for an additional midfielder. Then they began to kick Joel and vicmo. When onazi came on the midfield was shattered until when ogu was introduced. Go rewatch the match bro. Joel, onazi and ndidi should have started. Nacho left a big gap in the midfield by pressing high up the field side by side with Ighalo instead of staying behind him in the number 10 spot.

Thank you bruh
I didn't want to say before I'd be tagged Onazi hater
Ogu brings that calm to the MF that "hey you can go upfront I've your back" midfielder

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:25am On Mar 25, 2018
IS NIGERIA'S SUPER EAGLES UP TO SOMETHING IN RUSSIA?

When English referee Michael Oliver blew the full-time whistle to bring the game between Poland and Nigeria to a close on Friday night, the Super Eagles won a second successive friendly against a World Cup-bound team. In so doing the Nigerians, ranked 52nd in the world by FIFA, had beaten two teams ranked in the top six.
The Eagles beat Argentina 4-2 in Krasnodar in November. It seemed like a fluke given Nigeria had only ever defeated La Albiceleste once before. Both were friendlies and Lionel Messi didn't play in the 2011 4-1 defeat in Abuja. When Argentina arranged a rematch to set the record straight, they won 3-1 with Messi in the team. It seemed like a warning to never try that again.
Nigeria has met Argentina five times in competitive matches. The two played a goalless draw in the 1995 Confederations Cup. Nigeria has lost all four World Cup matches. Messi personally saw to it that record was kept intact in Brazil. The five-time Ballon d’Or winner scored twice. Marcus Rojo finished the job to deny the Eagles an unlikely draw after Nigeria had come back twice through Ahmed Musa.
Nigeria’s recent friendly win against Argentina was therefore dismissed by many as a one-off. More recent events seem to suggest otherwise.
Argentina beat Italy 2-0 on Friday without Messi. It was a match that featured Gianluigi Buffon in goal. Gigi had made a U-turn on his retirement decision after the Azzurri spectacularly failed to make it to Russia. Argentina did not look in any way threatened by the Italians at the Etihad stadium in Manchester. Goals from Ever Banega and Manuel Lanzini settled the tie. It was a deserved win on a night Sergio Aguero did not get a chance to play in front of his club fans due to injury.
The result suggests Messi's absence is no excuse for Argentina’s loss against Nigeria. Rather, the Argentines lost to a better team in the second half of that match. Credit must go to the Nigerians who had to come back from 2-0 down to beat the former world champions. It demonstrated character and determination, traits needed to win tournaments and grind out results in hostile environments.
Friday’s 1-0 win over Poland took place in Wroclaw with Robert Lewandowski on show. Gernot Rohr's squad gave a good account of itself. Poland only just dominated possession, 56:44%. All other
statistical categories save shots on target were nearly even and Nigeria had an answer in goal for Robert Lewandowski: 19-year-old Francis Uzoho. The Deportivo de la Coruna keeper made six saves on the night. On the one occasion the youngster needed help Leon Balogun was there to clear the ball off the line. Victor Moses’ strike from the penalty spot in the 61st minute gave the Nigerians the win.
Don't forget the Super Eagles emerged from a difficult CAF qualifying group undefeated to earn a place in Russia. The team had the better of reigning African champions Cameroon, the highest ranking African side, Algeria, and 2012 African champions Zambia. Cameroon suffered its biggest loss to Nigeria in the process, a 4-0 defeat in Uyo. Gernot Rohr's senior team is on a five-match unbeaten run that includes the World Cup qualifying and the victory in Poland but not the CHAN tournament that features only African-based players.
While it can be argued the victory over Argentina was a year ago, when the South American side was struggling in CONMEBOL qualifying, Poland were fresh off winning their UEFA group to qualify for Russia. Lewandowski scored 16 times in 10 matches, most in the entire qualifying process.
Argentina already knows it must take Nigeria seriously. Iceland and Croatia, also in Group D with the Super Eagles, had best do their homework. There is something about this team that speaks of greatness. It may not win the trophy in Russia but with the youngest team in the tournament, great things can be expected in the future.

http://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/articles/are-nigeria-super-eagles-up-to-something-world-cup-international-friendlies

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:30am On Mar 25, 2018
TheLoneCitizen:

Relegation threatened teams don't take risks even if it involves profit, they will stick with familiar demons than unknown angels. You dig?
Yes you are right but seen Uzoho against Poland and possibly Serbia can do it regardless of their relegation battle.He has done it against Elber and Girona in LA liga this season,just saying this for the young lad to gather more experience for WC.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:46am On Mar 25, 2018
nelszx:

Thank you bruh
I didn't want to say before I'd be tagged Onazi hater
Ogu brings that calm to the MF that "hey you can go upfront I've your back" midfielder
Sir say it in analytical way and nobody will tagged you hater,honestly this thread is for us to learn and brainstorm and you might see what we don't even know,pls better to say it.

Pls can you tell me why Onazi introduction brought instability to the midfield cos i thought we are not in control of that midfield even before introduction of Onazi.

But i think Ogu should start ahead of Joel against Serbia and let see him again.He did it with Ndidi against Senegal,Algeria and had good game against Argentina.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:47am On Mar 25, 2018
tbaba1234:

Does Hope Akpan perfomance this season warrant a national team call up? I don't think so..

Omeruo has been very good at club level.. Besides Iorfa has played primarily as a right back this season. The right back position is saturated.

Primarily but not exclusively as a RB he plays both positions. He left Wolves not for football reasons but the influence of Mendes and the Portuguese project going on there.

Hope Akpan has played for Nigeria when he was in the EPL. Unfortunately his club got relegated and he refused to go to a lower less competitive league. Furthermore the managers has been blatantly discriminatory. See link below when a manager makes a public apology you know something is up.

https://www.burtonalbionfc.co.uk/news/2018/february/0802-hope/

Good at club level in a backwater league doesn't cut it. Is he among the top five best players in that league.

A player who couldn't cut it at Chelsea or the Championship.

What I am saying until players are tested we really do not know what quality they bring you the table. Your approach is based on favouritism, competition creates an environment for excellence.

Danny Shittu is a classic example frozen out by two managers but arguably one of Nigeria's best defenders. Only because Vogts gave him a chance the NFF were unwilling to do.

Let's have open competition not exclusive favoritism.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 9:55am On Mar 25, 2018
komekn:

Primarily but not exclusively as a RB he plays both positions. He left Wolves not for football reasons but the influence of Mendes and the Portuguese project going on there.

Hope Akpan has played for Nigeria when he was in the EPL. Unfortunately his club got relegated and he refused to go to a lower less competitive league. Furthermore the managers has been blatantly discriminatory. See link below when a manager makes a public apology you know something is up.

https://www.burtonalbionfc.co.uk/news/2018/february/0802-hope/

Good at club level in a backwater league doesn't cut it. Is he among the top five best players in that league.

A player who couldn't cut it at Chelsea or the Championship.

What I am saying until players are tested we really do not know what quality they bring you the table. Your approach is based on favouritism, competition creates an environment for excellence.

Danny Shittu is a classic example frozen out by two managers but arguably one of Nigeria's best defenders. Only because Vogts gave him a chance the NFF were unwilling to do.

Let's have open competition not exclusive favoritism.

Bro ain't u tired abt players u knw dey can't b invited to d national team in 10years to dis time, let alone of going to Russia2018 grin grin?

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheLoneCitizen(m): 10:06am On Mar 25, 2018
Kog45:
Yes you are right but seen Uzoho against Poland and possibly Serbia can do it regardless of their relegation battle.He has done it against Elber and Girona in LA liga this season,just saying this for the young lad to gather more experience for WC.

It's a no-brainer, my good man, 7 games to go and Southampton have chosen a PROVEN aging Mark Hughes over a PROMISING prime Marco Silva.

Of what help is a future prospect, when promises are made to be broken.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:11am On Mar 25, 2018
TheLoneCitizen:

It's a no-brainer, my good man, 7 games to go and Southampton have chosen a PROVEN aging Mark Hughes over a PROMISING prime Marco Silva.

Of what help is a future prospect, when promises are made to be broken.
Sir you are right,just talking as a Nigerian who want to see a great keeper at WC,nothing more.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oloriooko(m): 10:13am On Mar 25, 2018
The German vs Spain watch was a total football with show of class, intelligence and near perfect football
One wonders if these guys are humans
They play with such precision and accuracy out of absolute understanding among the players.
I must say it was a top class match

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:18am On Mar 25, 2018
Nigeria vs Serbia: Mikel Obi, Etebo, Ebuehi to start

Published on March 25, 2018 By Ifreke Inyang

Head coach of the Super Eagles, Gernot Rohr will have captain John Obi Mikel back for Tuesday’s friendly game against Serbia in London.

The Tianjin TEDA midfielder did not play against Poland on Friday, as he was unable to sort out logistic issues.

Rohr has however ruled out Bursaspor fullback, Shehu Abdullahi, after he limped out of the Poland match.

Abdullahi was substituted with what looked like a hamstring injury, with Tyronne Ebuehi coming in his place. He is expected to undergo a scan while in the UK with the rest of the squad.

“We have some injured players ahead of the game against Serbia, but we are hopeful the injury isn’t a serious one.

“Abdullahi will have a scan in England to determine if he can play but like you saw today Ebuehi can play if he is not fit,” Rohr said.

The coach also said he is hopeful that Las Palmas midfielder, Oghenekaro Etebo, will be available for the game.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 10:22am On Mar 25, 2018
oloriooko:
The German vs Spain watch was a total football with show of class, intelligence and near perfect football
One wonders if these guys are humans
They play with such precision and accuracy out of absolute understanding among the players.
I must say it was a top class match
product of both teams having class players,core of both teams playing together for a long time and self confidence
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:23am On Mar 25, 2018
Kog45:
Sir thank you for this comment.I think it's time for us to differentiate analytical comments from emotional comments.If we can do it then good for this thread.

I remember icon4s came out and said Ajiboye is better than Uzoho and i wasn't surprised cos i know icon4s very well he doesn't rate Uzoho and in football circle it's normal not to rate a player,no offence and with what he saw against Poland especially in the 1st half did not changed his mind.

Icon4s i know is not a rigid type cos any good performance from Uzoho don't be surprised seeing him eulogising the young lad,so sometimes we need to look at the angle of our comments here before quote.

I read Solace Chuckwu view on Uzoho and i saw a balance report and if that report was from any moniker here,i know some would come for his head.

I read TheSuperNerd,Joebie,tbaba1234 and see solid balance review on Uzoho performance and it centred around the young man need more games to build his confidence which Solace Chuckwu was emphasising on.

On Ajiboye,well you have valid point,any mistake we will still complain, that's fans for you but i think keeping in CHAN is a good experience cos i remember Enyeama and Ejide did not have any international experience before making their debuts.

My call for Ajiboye inclusion is cleared for those who understand the game very well,not necessary as number one but i see him as the only keeper that will bring the best out of Uzoho not Ezenwa or Akpeyi cos if Ajiboye had the opportunity of Ezenwa or Akpeyi in Eagles i can bet it with you nobody would call for Uzoho.

Uzoho as number one need deputy that will make him to always be on his toes and this is happened during Westerhoff era,Agbonavbare brought out the best in Peter Rufai and we can see it at US 94,check France 98 we lack qualities on the bench and we paid dearly for it.

Pls check Nigeria against Sudan,Ezenwa got injured and Ajiboye came in and gave solid performance that brought up questions that is Ezenwa better?with that Ezenwa knew Ajiboye is there and it will definitely pushed Ezenwa for better performance seeing Ajiboye on the bench.

This is the rivalry i want for Uzoho as number one and with what we have now i don't see Ezenwa and Akpeyi doing that cos we have seen enough of them,unless we don't want Uzoho to grow as keeper we want at WC.

In Enyimba right now Fatau Dauda is the first choice and Ezenwa performance in his first match for Enyimba was damn terrible for international keeper and brought up a lot of questions on what criteria he is always getting national team invitation but my answer is Cameroon and Zambia match,still his major weapon to national call cos he did well.

Akpeyi has lost the confidence of Nigeria even me that believe so much in him,his howler against Argentina did not help his cause but Rohr still see him as good keeper just like Westerhoff kept faith with Alloy Agu.

I think with Uzoho performance against Poland i will give him 50% based on quality he displayed but based on his age and experience i will give him 70% so with more matches we are having our number one and only thing that w denied him that is himself not Rohr cos manager has made up his mind to build him toward WC.

But i see Ajiboye has a good quality keeper that will bring the best out of Uzoho cos the quality is there though some may not agree but that's it and my opinion.

Nice analysis bros....Only ajiboye will bring out the best in uzoho not ezenwa or akpeyi.

I think ajiboye is somehow better than ezenwa sha,but the coach is not looking on ajiboye side? and he somehow rule him out of the world cup.

Not that uzoho is too good but he his better than ezenwa and akpeyi.

But remember after the defeat by morocco in the chan final,some people are already blaming ajiboye,those same people has already praised him.

But there is no much time to test goal keepers,How many friendlies do we have more?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:54am On Mar 25, 2018
andrew444:

Nice analysis bros....Only ajiboye will bring out the best in uzoho not ezenwa or akpeyi.

I think ajiboye is somehow better than ezenwa sha,but the coach is not looking on ajiboye side? and he somehow rule him out of the world cup.

Not that uzoho is too good but he his better than ezenwa and akpeyi.

But remember after the defeat by morocco in the chan final,some people are already blaming ajiboye,those same people has already praised him.

But there is no much time to test goal keepers,How many friendlies do we have more?
Good one Sir,i think Rohr mentioned five keepers namely Uzoho, Ezenwa, Akpeyi, Alampasu and Ajiboye even possibly Maduka.

Anything can still happened cos Enyeama gatecrashed WC team less than a month as second choice by displacing Ejide to third keeper and Uche Akubuike dropped.

I want to see Ezenwa playing week in week out not as a bench warmer at Enyimba or he seek loan elsewhere for regular shirt.

Also i want to see Akpeyi once again in one top friendly may he is still shaking Akpeyi that deserves a place in the team.

Though Ajiboye and Alampasu getting call depends on their performance at their club especially Ajiboye cos i don't see Alampasu making it cos of his inactivity and also the reaction of Ezenwa and Akpeyi with their club side will determine their chances.

Sir anything can still happens on who to deputise for Uzoho.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:56am On Mar 25, 2018
Bolowolowo:
Nigeria vs Serbia: Mikel Obi, Etebo, Ebuehi to start

Published on March 25, 2018 By Ifreke Inyang

Head coach of the Super Eagles, Gernot Rohr will have captain John Obi Mikel back for Tuesday’s friendly game against Serbia in London.

The Tianjin TEDA midfielder did not play against Poland on Friday, as he was unable to sort out logistic issues.

Rohr has however ruled out Bursaspor fullback, Shehu Abdullahi, after he limped out of the Poland match.

Abdullahi was substituted with what looked like a hamstring injury, with Tyronne Ebuehi coming in his place. He is expected to undergo a scan while in the UK with the rest of the squad.

“We have some injured players ahead of the game against Serbia, but we are hopeful the injury isn’t a serious one.

“Abdullahi will have a scan in England to determine if he can play but like you saw today Ebuehi can play if he is not fit,” Rohr said.

The coach also said he is hopeful that Las Palmas midfielder, Oghenekaro Etebo, will be available for the game.

Pls is Mikel Obi in camp

CC:tbaba1234

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:05am On Mar 25, 2018
http://www.goal.com/en/news/its-really-strange-man-utd-ace-de-gea-slams-world-cup-ball/8nlwvp2ezk9c1k8znmb8ukjtx

The reason why Uzoho kept punching away the ball.

I guess we are having Jabulani season 2 cone Russia 2018!!!

Happy Palm Sunday to everyone

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:12am On Mar 25, 2018
4 TAKEAWAYS FROM SUPER EAGLES' MATCH IN POLAND

On Friday’s list of international friendlies, FIFA’s sixth-best team, Poland, played hosts to Nigeria who is ranked 46 places below the Poles. The Super Eagles had little choice but soar from the nadir depicted on FIFA’s paper. Inspired by a mesmeric Victor Moses, they flew over their hosts in an emphatic 1-0 victory.

Gernot Rohr had to tinker his team bereft of its inspirational skipper, Mikel John Obi. Forwards, Gabriel Okechukwu and Junior Ajayi were missing due to visa hiccups.
Adam Nawalka had to make do without Dortmund’s Lukasz Piszczek and Sampdoria’s Bartosz Bereszynsk for Poland.

The game at Wroclaw was the first competitive encounter between Poland and Nigeria. The hosts got off the blocks smoking. Cheered on by their 40,000-strong home support. It was the White and Reds who seemed most likely to draw first blood. Robert Lewandowski clipped the post in the eighth minute after latching on to Rafal Kurzawa’s low cross. Grzegorz Krychowiak was convinced he had scored with his glancing header. His conviction was a fallacy to the English referee.

When Adam Nawalka's men eventually went behind 16 minutes after the break, the Nigerians simply jammed the door. Watching enthusiastically as a fan of the Super Eagles, I made some observations.

#Joel Obi and Brian Idowu pass their audition

Without captain Mikel John Obi, Gernot Rohr deployed another Obi to partner Wilfred Ndidi in midfield. It was Joel Obi’s first appearance for his country in four years. For someone who didn’t feature during the qualifiers, the Torino midfielder was gifted a big chance to play himself back into the reckoning. It wasn’t spurned. The former Inter Milan man was a livewire for the Super Eagles through the 65 minutes he featured.

The 26-year-old was industrious with the ball as you’d expect from any playmaker. Someone who matched Obi’s robustness in the game was Brian Idowu.
Following his outstanding performance against Argentina last year, Rohr auditioned Idowu at left-back instead of the regular Elderson Echiejile. The Amkar defender was at the races. He marshalled the left flank so perfectly, Rohr saw no need to bring on any of the two left-backs looking pleadingly at him from the bench.

*Moses can carry the weight

The Chelsea man was catalytic in attack for the three-time African Champions. For a player who plays predominantly as a defender for the Premier League Champions, it was a delight to watch Victor Moses putting on his attacking gear and punishing his opponents ceaselessly.
His brilliance in the final third eventually proved too much for the hosts. Marcin Kaminski stuck out a foot which impeded the forward’s powerful run in the area. Michael Oliver pointed to spot and the 27-year-old got up to coolly dispatch the winner.

OBi_Mikel
Cool finish from the spot from @ VictorMoses ! Great win for the team ���#POLNGA https:///sCO05Ng0dz

The weight of expectation on the shoulders of Victor Moses is huge. Everyone expects him to always come up with something beyond the ordinary. His showing against Poland is proof he’s equal to that task.

#Wilfred Onyinye Ndidi: same for Leicester same for Eagles

Wilfred Ndidi has been a pillar for Leicester City this season. His tackling, passing and ability to shield the defence have been a tool for Claude Puel’s team. Against Poland, Ndidi was that good once more. This time in a different shirt.

At 21 it’s amazing to see a midfielder play with so much maturity and panache. Ndidi reminds Super Eagles faithful of a workaholic Sunday Oliseh. The youngster closed down the Poles with zest, won his tackles and ensured his team secured a clean sheet against a prolific opponent.
What he does for the Foxes he certainly does for the Super Eagles.

#Super Eagles might have a new number one

Francis Uzoho is only 19. That doesn’t say he can’t man the post for a big team at the World Cup. He’s shown he certainly can.

The Deportivo La Coruna shot-stopper was selected ahead of Ikechukwu Enzenwa in the Wroclaw clash. Although he was jittery at the start, he regained composure to give a good account of himself against an attack led by Lewandowski. The young lad was vocal with the four men in front of him, yet cool-headed and agile enough to make saves and vital blocks.

A historic first 90 minutes and a clean sheet for the youngster, Rohr might find it hard choosing a diminutive Ezenwa ahead of him as first-choice.

http://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/articles/poland-0-1-nigeria-5-lessons-for-genort-rohr-s-super-eagles

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:19am On Mar 25, 2018
junnyjake:
Uzoho wasn't jittery as many here have opined, He's an inexperienced kid and it was visible for all to see yesterday.

He can't operate at a level his experience hasn't gotten him to yet, his positioning and decision making need serious help, it's gonna take him months to learn some of these things, do we really have that much time?

It's just so bad that we're on the verge of making him our number one at the mundial where the pressure can be overwhelming for those tender shoulders of his.

Leukemia, it shall never be well with you!
I tell you @leukaemia. If there was one quality Ikeme had that I loved it was his uncanny sense of positioning and quick decision making. And Dude was big but very agile.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 11:24am On Mar 25, 2018
Kog45:
Good one Sir,i think Rohr mentioned five keepers namely Uzoho, Ezenwa, Akpeyi, Alampasu and Ajiboye even possibly Maduka.

Anything can still happened cos Enyeama gatecrashed WC team less than a month as second choice by displacing Ejide to third keeper and Uche Akubuike dropped.

I want to see Ezenwa playing week in week out not as a bench warmer at Enyimba or he seek loan elsewhere for regular shirt.

Also i want to see Akpeyi once again in one top friendly may he is still shaking Akpeyi that deserves a place in the team.

Though Ajiboye and Alampasu getting call depends on their performance at their club especially Ajiboye cos i don't see Alampasu making it cos of his inactivity and also the reaction of Ezenwa and Akpeyi with their club side will determine their chances.

Sir anything can still happens on who to deputise for Uzoho.

Is Ezenwa a bench warmer at eyinmba?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lucque: 11:27am On Mar 25, 2018
God go bless this writer of this beautiful piece.... Ise!!
E go born twins.... Ise!!
Anybody wen open der mouth take talk down on our team again go chop beta beating... Ise!!!
The gods have spoken angry angry angry
MetalJigsaw:
IS NIGERIA'S SUPER EAGLES UP TO SOMETHING IN RUSSIA?

When English referee Michael Oliver blew the full-time whistle to bring the game between Poland and Nigeria to a close on Friday night, the Super Eagles won a second successive friendly against a World Cup-bound team. In so doing the Nigerians, ranked 52nd in the world by FIFA, had beaten two teams ranked in the top six.
The Eagles beat Argentina 4-2 in Krasnodar in November. It seemed like a fluke given Nigeria had only ever defeated La Albiceleste once before. Both were friendlies and Lionel Messi didn't play in the 2011 4-1 defeat in Abuja. When Argentina arranged a rematch to set the record straight, they won 3-1 with Messi in the team. It seemed like a warning to never try that again.
Nigeria has met Argentina five times in competitive matches. The two played a goalless draw in the 1995 Confederations Cup. Nigeria has lost all four World Cup matches. Messi personally saw to it that record was kept intact in Brazil. The five-time Ballon d’Or winner scored twice. Marcus Rojo finished the job to deny the Eagles an unlikely draw after Nigeria had come back twice through Ahmed Musa.
Nigeria’s recent friendly win against Argentina was therefore dismissed by many as a one-off. More recent events seem to suggest otherwise.
Argentina beat Italy 2-0 on Friday without Messi. It was a match that featured Gianluigi Buffon in goal. Gigi had made a U-turn on his retirement decision after the Azzurri spectacularly failed to make it to Russia. Argentina did not look in any way threatened by the Italians at the Etihad stadium in Manchester. Goals from Ever Banega and Manuel Lanzini settled the tie. It was a deserved win on a night Sergio Aguero did not get a chance to play in front of his club fans due to injury.
The result suggests Messi's absence is no excuse for Argentina’s loss against Nigeria. Rather, the Argentines lost to a better team in the second half of that match. Credit must go to the Nigerians who had to come back from 2-0 down to beat the former world champions. It demonstrated character and determination, traits needed to win tournaments and grind out results in hostile environments.
Friday’s 1-0 win over Poland took place in Wroclaw with Robert Lewandowski on show. Gernot Rohr's squad gave a good account of itself. Poland only just dominated possession, 56:44%. All other
statistical categories save shots on target were nearly even and Nigeria had an answer in goal for Robert Lewandowski: 19-year-old Francis Uzoho. The Deportivo de la Coruna keeper made six saves on the night. On the one occasion the youngster needed help Leon Balogun was there to clear the ball off the line. Victor Moses’ strike from the penalty spot in the 61st minute gave the Nigerians the win.
Don't forget the Super Eagles emerged from a difficult CAF qualifying group undefeated to earn a place in Russia. The team had the better of reigning African champions Cameroon, the highest ranking African side, Algeria, and 2012 African champions Zambia. Cameroon suffered its biggest loss to Nigeria in the process, a 4-0 defeat in Uyo. Gernot Rohr's senior team is on a five-match unbeaten run that includes the World Cup qualifying and the victory in Poland but not the CHAN tournament that features only African-based players.
While it can be argued the victory over Argentina was a year ago, when the South American side was struggling in CONMEBOL qualifying, Poland were fresh off winning their UEFA group to qualify for Russia. Lewandowski scored 16 times in 10 matches, most in the entire qualifying process.
Argentina already knows it must take Nigeria seriously. Iceland and Croatia, also in Group D with the Super Eagles, had best do their homework. There is something about this team that speaks of greatness. It may not win the trophy in Russia but with the youngest team in the tournament, great things can be expected in the future.

http://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/articles/are-nigeria-super-eagles-up-to-something-world-cup-international-friendlies

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 11:31am On Mar 25, 2018
4 TAKEAWAYS FROM POLAND VS NIGERIA

On Friday’s list of international friendlies,
FIFA’s sixth-best team, Poland, played hosts to Nigeria who is ranked 46 places below the Poles. The Super Eagles had little choice but soar from the nadir depicted on FIFA’s paper. Inspired by a mesmeric Victor Moses, they flew over their hosts in an emphatic 1-0 victory.

Gernot Rohr had to tinker his team bereft of its inspirational skipper, Mikel John Obi. Forwards, Gabriel Okechukwu and Junior Ajayi were missing due to visa hiccups.
Adam Nawalka had to make do without Dortmund’s Lukasz Piszczek and Sampdoria’s Bartosz Bereszynsk for Poland.

The game at Wroclaw was the first competitive encounter between Poland and Nigeria. The hosts got off the blocks smoking. Cheered on by their 40,000-strong home support. It was the White and Reds who seemed most likely to draw first blood. Robert Lewandowski clipped the post in the eighth minute after latching on to Rafal Kurzawa’s low cross. Grzegorz Krychowiak was convinced he had scored with his glancing header. His conviction was a fallacy to the English referee.

When Adam Nawalka's men eventually went behind 16 minutes after the break, the Nigerians simply jammed the door. Watching enthusiastically as a fan of the Super Eagles, I made some observations.
-------------

#Joel Obi and Brian Idowu pass their audition

Without captain Mikel John Obi, Gernot Rohr deployed another Obi to partner Wilfred Ndidi in midfield. It was Joel Obi’s first appearance for his country in four years. For someone who didn’t feature during the qualifiers, the Torino midfielder was gifted a big chance to play himself back into the reckoning. It wasn’t spurned. The former Inter Milan man was a livewire for the Super Eagles through the 65 minutes he featured.
The 26-year-old was industrious with the ball as you’d expect from any playmaker. Someone who matched Obi’s robustness in the game was Brian Idowu.
Following his outstanding performance against Argentina last year, Rohr auditioned Idowu at left-back instead of the regular Elderson Echiejile. The Amkar defender was at the races. He marshalled the left flank so perfectly, Rohr saw no need to bring on any of the two left-backs looking pleadingly at him from the bench.
-------------

#Moses can carry the weight

The Chelsea man was catalytic in attack for the three-time African Champions. For a player who plays predominantly as a defender for the Premier League Champions, it was a delight to watch Victor Moses putting on his attacking gear and punishing his opponents ceaselessly.
His brilliance in the final third eventually proved too much for the hosts. Marcin Kaminski stuck out a foot which impeded the forward’s powerful run in the area. Michael Oliver pointed to spot and the 27-year-old got up to coolly dispatch the winner.

The weight of expectation on the shoulders of Victor Moses is huge. Everyone expects him to always come up with something beyond the ordinary. His showing against Poland is proof he’s equal to that task.
-------------

#Wilfred Onyinye Ndidi: same for Leicester same for Eagles

Wilfred Ndidi has been a pillar for Leicester City this season. His tackling, passing and ability to shield the defence have been a tool for Claude Puel’s team. Against Poland, Ndidi was that good once more. This time in a different shirt.

At 21 it’s amazing to see a midfielder play with so much maturity and panache. Ndidi reminds Super Eagles faithful of a workaholic Sunday Oliseh. The youngster closed down the Poles with zest, won his tackles and ensured his team secured a clean sheet against a prolific opponent.
What he does for the Foxes he certainly does for the Super Eagles.
-------------

#Super Eagles might have a new number one

Francis Uzoho is only 19. That doesn’t say he can’t man the post for a big team at the World Cup. He’s shown he certainly can.

The Deportivo La Coruna shot-stopper was selected ahead of Ikechukwu Enzenwa in the Wroclaw clash. Although he was jittery at the start, he regained composure to give a good account of himself against an attack led by Lewandowski. The young lad was vocal with the four men in front of him, yet cool-headed and agile enough to make saves and vital blocks.

A historic first 90 minutes and a clean sheet for the youngster, Rohr might find it hard choosing a diminutive Ezenwa ahead of him as first-choice.

http://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/articles/poland-0-1-nigeria-5-lessons-for-genort-rohr-s-super-eagles

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 11:40am On Mar 25, 2018
Lucque:
God go bless this writer of this beautiful piece.... Ise!!
E go born twins.... Ise!!
Anybody wen open der mouth take talk down on our team again go chop beta beating... Ise!!!
The gods have spoken angry angry angry
Please tell me ooo, what did Idowu play cos I didn't see him perform half as he did against Argentina. Even looked like the CB were afraid of passing the ball to him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:52am On Mar 25, 2018
andrew444:

Is Ezenwa a bench warmer at eyinmba?
Fatau Dauda is the first choice and Ezenwa had a match against Energies in confederation cup but failed to prove his class as Eagles keeper,so he has Dauda to beat.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 12:06pm On Mar 25, 2018
Kog45:
Fatau Dauda is the first choice and Ezenwa had a match against Energies in confederation cup but failed to prove his class as Eagles keeper,so he has Dauda to beat.

Mogbe I don't even know this,dauda is that Ghanaian goal keeper or so,if ezenwa is not first choice at eyinmba my lips are sealed oo

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bossto(m): 12:16pm On Mar 25, 2018
Thanks Allforjesus07...downloaded some matches!!!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:20pm On Mar 25, 2018
Pls is Mikel in London

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:24pm On Mar 25, 2018
Kog45:
Pls is Mikel in London

As far as i know, Mikel is not in London

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lucque: 12:25pm On Mar 25, 2018
He didn't have a spectacular game... But he did his role basically... There was no sprinting forward to join d attack... I only remember one cross into d penalty area from him... But it wasn't a bad performance.he just had a quiet game...
Mujtahida:

Please tell me ooo, what did Idowu play cos I didn't see him perform half as he did against Argentina. Even looked like the CB were afraid of passing the ball to him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 12:34pm On Mar 25, 2018
tbaba1234:

As far as i know, Mikel is not in London
Thanks.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 12:35pm On Mar 25, 2018
Kog45:

Uzoho as number one need deputy that will make him to always be on his toes and this happened during Westerhoff era,Agbonavbare brought out the best in Peter Rufai and we can see it at US 94,check France 98 we lack qualities on the bench and we paid dearly for it.

Akpeyi has lost the confidence of Nigerians even me that believe so much in him,his howler against Argentina did not help his cause but Rohr still see him as good keeper just like Westerhoff kept faith with Alloy Agu.

you've always made sense since ages....
nice write up

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 12:38pm On Mar 25, 2018
andrew444:

Mogbe I don't even know this,dauda is that Ghanaian goal keeper or so,if ezenwa is not first choice at eyinmba my lips are sealed oo
likewise when he was in ifeanyiuba FC he was never the first chioce only alloy agu can explain the rationale behind his continuous call up as back up to akpeyi then before the Cameroon match

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 12:43pm On Mar 25, 2018
Humility017:

likewise when he was in ifeanyiuba FC he was never the first chioce only alloy agu can explain the rationale behind his continuous call up as back up to akpeyi then before the Cameroon match

My God I taught that guy is first choice at ifeanyi una and even enyinba,how come is he being invited ? And ajiboye is first choice for plateau united ?

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (3153) (3154) (3155) (3156) (3157) (3158) (3159) ... (16354) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Dannyxy(m), Giv3n, Tinneh, daveP(m), charlesemeka85(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.