Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,807 members, 7,862,670 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 10:38 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3172) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11942003 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3169) (3170) (3171) (3172) (3173) (3174) (3175) ... (16354) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 5:53pm On Mar 26, 2018
komekn:

You deh talk like dis,

I have actually said this before, and TheGoodJoe totally disagreed with me, and of course the usual choristers supported various unsavoury notions about me.

This is a problem as a striker you need to be unpredictable, skill and inventiveness are intrinsically linked to the edge that unpredictability gives you.

The reality is people believe he is the best we have, he still an exceptional player but with quite a few things to learn to add to his abilities.

I have often wondered if we haf Obagoal who hasn't lost pace, but he is experienced and unpredictable will that not give us much needed added fire power upfront.
Do you know that among all our forwads he's the only one bereft of such ability?.

Iwobi can dribble, Moses, S. Moses, even Ighalo.

Musa really doesn't but he makes it up with his power-bike speed

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:54pm On Mar 26, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Nigeria Can Only Beat Croatia With Counter Attack – Coach

Tomislav Obradovic, the coach of Croatia national team, has revealed that the only way the Super Eagles could defeat his team when both sides meet at the 2018 World Cup in Russia would be through counter attacks, boasting that there is no way Nigeria could overcome them.

Both Nigeria and Croatia will go head-to-head at the Kaliningrad Stadium, Kaliningrad on June 16, 2018 and the coach is optimistic that they would see off Nigeria, saying that in the Super Eagles, there are several players in the team with the same characteristics.

Obradovic was coach of the Rwandan U-20 National Team for two and a half years, and he almost qualified the country for the 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup.

Asked to compare Nigeria’s offensive players Iwobi and Chelsea’s Victor Moses, Obradovic told Sportske Novosti: “Compare all of them with their characteristics? Everyone is similar and quick, good within a group. But where are the world-class players?

“It’s probably quite enough, but as a team I do not think they have world-class quality. Why do I say that? They have too many players with the same characteristics.

“They cannot beat Croatia. Not in one segment of the game. Neither technical, tactical, nor organisational, nor in any sense.”

Tomislav Obradovic warned the Croatian team that Nigeria’s counter attack could be dangerous because they have fast players.
“The only way they can outsmart us is if they threaten us from the counterattack because they have such players, quick, fast.

“We have to hold the ball, wait and play our organised football because we are . , disciplined, stronger on the ball, better one on one,” Obradovic boasted.

http://247ureports.com/nigerian-can-only-beat-croatia-with-counter-attack-coach/

Oga, beating is beating. We will beat you any which ways.

13 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 5:55pm On Mar 26, 2018
Martz101:

was iwobi and Moses upto 23 when they decide to switch to Nigeria even though they had better chances of representing England than your guy Iorfa. If you are good, No one will care about were you are from

Iwobi is not a good example and he didn't have a better chance than Iorfa. He couldn't make England U19 and barely made the U17's. Iwobi is a player who national team allegiance boosted his career.

Add to the scenario his very influential Uncle JJay and there rest is history as they say.

Victor Moses chose Nigeria he had a clear chance of playing for the three Lions. Did it boost his career capital No. Did he loose market value and a loss of potential further earnings definate yes.

But he still chose Nigeria.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 5:56pm On Mar 26, 2018
Kog45:
Sir,Ebuehi's agent said too early for him to play for Nigeria,guess what waiting for dutch call now tell me what make it different from Iorfa.

Tell them oh.

There is an overpowering smell of hypocritical double standard.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 5:59pm On Mar 26, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Do you know that among all our forwads he's the only one bereft of such ability?.

Iwobi can dribble, Moses, S. Moses, even Ighalo.

Musa really doesn't but he makes it up with his power-bike speed

The way and system you play is a reflection of the players you have.

Can I ask do you think if Obagoal was in Leicester City he by now would have scored only one goal in the EPL .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by optimist25(m): 6:01pm On Mar 26, 2018
Mujtahida:

Make I save the first one for meme. I go like use am on top forgiveness head grin grin
Hehehee... Lol....no qualms

I hope Ajayi junior will get some minutes in the Serbia game
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by optimist25(m): 6:01pm On Mar 26, 2018
Mujtahida:

Make I save the first one for meme. I go like use am on top forgiveness head grin grin
Hehehee... Lol....no qualms

I hope Ajayi junior will get some minutes in the Serbia game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 6:04pm On Mar 26, 2018
Icon4s:

Oga, beating is beating. We will beat you any which ways.
Let him keep making mouth.,. Its good for our team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 6:05pm On Mar 26, 2018
Martz101:

you are contradicting your self, you ask him not to compare but you helped him compare, every era is different...
Sir i did not contradict myself,you are the one that failed to get the message.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 6:06pm On Mar 26, 2018
komekn:

The way and system you play is a reflection of the players you have.

Can I ask do you think if Obagoal was in Leicester City he by now would have scored only one goal in the EPL .
Your point
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:06pm On Mar 26, 2018
Icon4s:

He would be 20 this year and so would not be eligible for the Flying Eagles team.

But his chances of making Russia is quite slim.

Any which way, a good prospect he is.

According to OGN, Man utd stopped him from training with Nigeria today because they have a game tomorrow
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by markfemisgay: 6:07pm On Mar 26, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Nigeria Can Only Beat Croatia With Counter Attack – Coach

Tomislav Obradovic, the coach of Croatia national team, has revealed that the only way the Super Eagles could defeat his team when both sides meet at the 2018 World Cup in Russia would be through counter attacks, boasting that there is no way Nigeria could overcome them.

Both Nigeria and Croatia will go head-to-head at the Kaliningrad Stadium, Kaliningrad on June 16, 2018 and the coach is optimistic that they would see off Nigeria, saying that in the Super Eagles, there are several players in the team with the same characteristics.

Obradovic was coach of the Rwandan U-20 National Team for two and a half years, and he almost qualified the country for the 2009 FIFA U-20 World Cup.

Asked to compare Nigeria’s offensive players Iwobi and Chelsea’s Victor Moses, Obradovic told Sportske Novosti: “Compare all of them with their characteristics? Everyone is similar and quick, good within a group. But where are the world-class players?

“It’s probably quite enough, but as a team I do not think they have world-class quality. Why do I say that? They have too many players with the same characteristics.

“They cannot beat Croatia. Not in one segment of the game. Neither technical, tactical, nor organisational, nor in any sense.”

Tomislav Obradovic warned the Croatian team that Nigeria’s counter attack could be dangerous because they have fast players.
“The only way they can outsmart us is if they threaten us from the counterattack because they have such players, quick, fast.

“We have to hold the ball, wait and play our organised football because we are better, disciplined, stronger on the ball, better one on one,” Obradovic boasted.

http://247ureports.com/nigerian-can-only-beat-croatia-with-counter-attack-coach/
pride they say goes before fall. I see 4 0 loading in favour of Green Eagles.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:12pm On Mar 26, 2018
Nigeria has the right to keep him waiting until he raises his game.
At the time he seemed like a very good prospect. Not at the moment...

forgiveness:

Iorfa Jnr has the right to live and right to choose.

Currently, he has pledged to play for Nigeria.

Victor Moses own worst pass but today he is our best player. End of tory.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:15pm On Mar 26, 2018
grin
Kog45:
I disagreed with this guy submission on Balogun,against Poland he had a great match and was replaced due to knock.

Just watched the same Poland match again,Balogun was massive and at par with Ekong until he got substituted.

I'm really surprised this is coming from complete sports.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 6:21pm On Mar 26, 2018
komekn:

Agreed without question.

National team call up may give you exposure but you must perform. Otherwise Nuttin 4 U.

That's why the basis of call up MUST be, all things being equal club performance matched against quality of league and club

I am trying to ask that guy what exposure has national team call up give ndidi? Someone who is yet to play any tournament.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:22pm On Mar 26, 2018
safarigirl:
Abeg, at the world cup I want to see a line-up like:

Uzoho

Ebuehi...Troost....Balogun...Aina

Ogu...Mikel....Ndidi

V.Moses....Ighalo.....S Moses

Considering what we have, I would not fault your selection.

However, Ogu lacks pace and so does Mikel. I need a midfielder to back track quickly and cover ground.

For sure that's not Mikel role although he also lacks pace.

Therefore playing against a fast paced team in the world cup will leave us exposed. My preference is for Onazi.

With this team and the Nigerian gra gra mentality I expected quarter finals.

Add Obagoal and Aluko then Semi final

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 6:32pm On Mar 26, 2018
komekn:

However, Ogu lacks pace and so does Mikel. I need a midfielder to back track quickly and cover ground.

Therefore playing against a fast paced team in the world cup will leave us exposed. My preference is for Onazi.

Add Sunday Mba and Fegor Ogude also

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrKlever(m): 6:33pm On Mar 26, 2018
komekn:

. You never fail to disappoint. SMH
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:36pm On Mar 26, 2018
..........................Uzoho........................

.............Ekong.....Balogun....Awaziem.....

Ebuehi....Ndidi.....Mikel.....Ogu........Idowu

..................Moses.....ighalo.............

Modified
I actually meant. I'd like to see this tomorrow.

Switch to 4 man defense later in the match
Awaziem moves to LB
Idowu out
Aina come in for Ebuehi
Agbo for Ndidi
Iheanacho comes in, Ogu out
Ajayi for Ighalo

safarigirl:
Abeg, at the world cup I want to see a line-up like:

Uzoho

Ebuehi...Troost....Balogun...Aina

Ogu...Mikel....Ndidi

V.Moses....Ighalo.....S Moses

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by rabzy: 6:47pm On Mar 26, 2018
joseph1013:

I'm sure I'm not the one surprised there is no Kelechi on your list. tongue

That shows a lot of reasonableness, i remember she was very much in love with awoniyi during their u17 days, then she later supported iheanancho steadfastly, now she has quietly adjusted her team based on present realities in her opinion. yeah thats the essence of a growing person, always checking and rechecking what position you are and where you should be.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 6:51pm On Mar 26, 2018
Joebie:

Moses as a second striker hmmm interesting....
And what if you replace Idowu with Simeon (RWB)?? To
ginger the attack from the other side
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 6:51pm On Mar 26, 2018
komekn:

LOL.

When Obagoal was there, we did not even get out of the group stage at the world cup.

When Aluko was there, we did not even qualify for the Nation's cup.

Yet these are the saviors who will propel us to the Semi Finals of the World Cup.

I often want to caution those who speak ill against you on this thread, but these kinds of statements still my fingers.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:54pm On Mar 26, 2018
Nice idea. Simon is pretty supportive defensively as well.

MetalJigsaw:
Moses as a second striker hmmm interesting....
And what if you replace Idowu with Simeon (RWB)?? To
ginger the attack from the other side
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 6:57pm On Mar 26, 2018
tbaba1234:

I thought Balogun had a very good game against Poland. The best, he has had since the Cameroon away leg. His sharpness appears to have returned.

If you watch the game again, you will realise how good he was.

In my opinion, Ekong and Balogun are still the best CB pairing for Nigeria. I will love to see Awaziem -Ekong again though.

I think, Iheanacho flopped in the role of linking the attack, Iwobi might have done a better job there instead of sticking him in the wings.

yea I agree with you on Nacho been a flop, iwobi should be perfect for that role, Balogun did ok but not really good, his positioning was always poor, he was drifting to the Left and most time i see Ekong isolated in the center, both of them are our best option
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:02pm On Mar 26, 2018
One word GROWTH and the willingness to adjust to realities. Not like one-way always thinkers. Her Royal Highness.. way to go

rabzy:

That shows a lot of reasonableness, i remember she was very much in love with awoniyi during their u17 days, then she later supported iheanancho steadfastly, now she has quietly adjusted her team based on present realities in her opinion. yeah thats the essence of a growing person, always checking and rechecking what position you are and where you should be.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:02pm On Mar 26, 2018
Martz101:

yea I agree with you on Nacho been a flop, iwobi should be perfect for that role, Balogun did ok but not really good, his positioning was always poor, he was drifting to the Left and most time i see Ekong isolated in the center, both of them are our best option

Please rewatch the match.. He was very very good. Balogun drifted to the left when Idowu was out of position, that is normal... And drifting to the left does not leave the center isolated

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bossto(m): 7:03pm On Mar 26, 2018
komekn:

Nna eehn...!!! I tire for u ooo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:05pm On Mar 26, 2018
Spot on.

On Iheanacho, we should let that boy deliver on dead ball situations. I even trust him with spot kicks. Role-wise, I won't give KC the primary #10 responsibility.

tbaba1234:

I thought Balogun had a very good game against Poland. The best, he has had since the Cameroon away leg. His sharpness appears to have returned.

If you watch the game again, you will realise how good he was.

In my opinion, Ekong and Balogun are still the best CB pairing for Nigeria. I will love to see Awaziem -Ekong again though.

I think, Iheanacho flopped in the role of linking the attack, Iwobi might have done a better job there instead of sticking him in the wings.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:06pm On Mar 26, 2018
Then Finals will be a reality grin
andrew444:

Add Sunday Mba and Fegor Ogude also

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:09pm On Mar 26, 2018
18 year old Nnamdi Ofoborh of Bournemouth under 21 has been called up to Nigeria's under 20 squad..

12 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by rabzy: 7:10pm On Mar 26, 2018
bossto:
Nna eehn...!!! I tire for u ooo

The bros is a football analyst and also a woli olorun, those two combo nah fia....The Ahitophel of England.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 7:16pm On Mar 26, 2018
Joebie:

Modified
I actually meant. I'd like to see this tomorrow.

Switch to 4 man defense later in the match
Awaziem moves to LB
Idowu out
Aina come in for Ebuehi
Agbo for Ndidi
Iheanacho comes in, Ogu out
Ajayi for Ighalo

I think it's better if Ekong is at the center because of his positioning, concentration and vigilance. It you rewatch the Argentina and Poland games you'll see that most of the crosses that were made into our box, Ekong was always there to head them away. And he blocks a lot of shots too- quick shots that could beat Uzoho and into the net. And he's very agile more, than Balogun.

Uzoho needs a very vigilant and focused CB in front of him for obvious reason.

Balogun loses concentration sometimes and that's what caused the controversy about the Poles's claim for a goal.

As the ball bounced onto his chest he wasn't quickly aware as it come to him. It took some seconds to clear the ball which is already heading to the net.

(1) (2) (3) ... (3169) (3170) (3171) (3172) (3173) (3174) (3175) ... (16354) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Meliforme, kingphilip(m), Iview1, TheSuperNerd(m), Toylove and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.