Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,627 members, 7,847,623 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 10:33 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3460) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11846528 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3457) (3458) (3459) (3460) (3461) (3462) (3463) ... (16242) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 5:09pm On May 06, 2018
Kog45:
Croatia match too important cos is a decider and it will definitely determine our WC hope.
That game will be so intense.

What would be your prefared lineup?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CaptainStephen(m): 5:09pm On May 06, 2018
Moses with a cross for Chelsea's goal.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:10pm On May 06, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Ex-Croatia Star Vukojević: We Must Beat Nigeria To Advance At Russia 2018

Former Croatia midfielder Ognjen Vukojević believes a win for his country against Nigeria in their opening group D match at the 2018 World Cup in Russia will boost their chances of qualifying for the second round of the tournament.

Croatia will take on Nigeria at the Kalingrad Stadium in Kalingrad, Russia on June 16 before facing two-time champion, Argentina on 21 June and debutants Iceland five days later in their remaining two group games.

Vukojević made 55 appearance and scored four goals for Croatia until he retired after the 2014 World in Brazil.

“The first match with Nigeria, is crucial, we need to win that game and the rest will be easy. I believe in Croatia and I believe we can make success in Russia,” Vukojević told glas-slavonije.hr.

“Croatia have a great generation of mature players in the team now and probably this is the last chance for these great players playing in big clubs to make an impact at the world stage.”

Real Madrid’s Mateo Kovačić, Liverpool’s Dejan Lovren, Juventus’ Mario Mandžukić, Real Madrid’s Luka Modrić, Inter Milan’s Ivan Perišić and Barcelona’s Ivan Rakitić are some of the Croatia players playing for top clubs in Europe.

“It should be step by step, but I think we have a big team to beat Nigeria with little details in our favour,” Vukojevic added.
“We now know their strengths but must exploit their weaknesses.”

Croatia are going for their fifth appearance at the FIFA World Cup having managed to qualify from the group twice in 1998 and 2014, while at in Korea/Japan 2002 and Germany 2006 they failed to qualify from the group stages.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/ex-croatia-star-vukojevic-must-beat-nigeria-advance-russia-2018/

Hmm... even the Croats know that is the key game for both teams in the group.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 5:11pm On May 06, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
I'm talking about his recently bereaved first team place in the team... When the suspended defender returns he'd be back to the bench.

Well d season is almost ended
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 5:15pm On May 06, 2018
Moses Moses Mosess

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:16pm On May 06, 2018
Victor Moses assist

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:18pm On May 06, 2018
Nice pass from Iwobi to Belerin for Lacazette's goal.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:22pm On May 06, 2018
Iwobi is a #10

Icon4s:
Nice pass from Iwobi to Belerin for Lacazette's goal.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 5:23pm On May 06, 2018
Uzoho with a goal
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 5:23pm On May 06, 2018
Musa scores

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 5:23pm On May 06, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
That game will be so intense.

What would be your prefared lineup?
Remember 35 man list not yet out to make 23 man list but based on our qualifiers and friendlies,this is my lineup.

1.Goalkeeper.....?

2.Shehu Abdullahi

3.Bryan Idowu

4.Ndidi Wilfred

5.Leon Balogun

6.Ekong Troost

7..Alex Iwobi

8.Mikel Obi

9.Odion Ighalo

10.Kelechi Iheanacho

11.Victor Moses.

4-3-3
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:24pm On May 06, 2018
Lol... season is almost over Bruv... this is why I said what I said. And I know what you speak of.

MetalJigsaw:
I'm talking about his recently bereaved first team place in the team... When the suspended defender returns he'd be back to the bench.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:24pm On May 06, 2018
Iwobi’s WhoScored HT Stats

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:26pm On May 06, 2018
I’m hoping we never play 4-3-3 at the WC
I’m more comfy with 4-2-3-1
Kog45:
Remember 35 man list not yet out to make 23 man list but based on our qualifiers and friendlies,this is my lineup.

1.Goalkeeper.....?

2.Shehu Abdullahi

3.Bryan Idowu

4.Ndidi Wilfred

5.Leon Balogun

6.Ekong Troost

7..Alex Iwobi

8.Mikel Obi

9.Odion Ighalo

10.Kelechi Iheanacho

11.Victor Moses.

4-3-3
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:28pm On May 06, 2018
Yes, But does that reduce his impact and importance to the team? Or you have not read Rohr's interview stating unequivocally that Iheanacho is so vital to this team? How Nacho's quality can rescue the team in tight situations? Nacho is one of the top key players in this team either from the start or from the bench. After all, even KANU made his importance known from the bench most times... does that mean he is not a key player? because he didn't start most games?

Our set-up now favors Ighalo as our top 9. Nacho can start maybe when we switch to that formation we used against Argentina or in a two strikers upfront set -up. All in all Nacho is so important to the Super Eagles and Those are not even my words But Rohr's.

Icon4s:

Wait but do you realize iheanacho is not a first team player in this team?

I am even one those advocating for him to be a regular.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by klexycole(m): 5:29pm On May 06, 2018
Ah! shocked Our players dey vex oo. cheesy cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 5:29pm On May 06, 2018
Kog45:

1.Goalkeeper.....?

2.Shehu Abdullahi

3.Bryan Idowu

4.Ndidi Wilfred

5.Leon Balogun

6.Ekong Troost

7..Alex Iwobi

8.Mikel Obi

9.Odion Ighalo

10.Kelechi Iheanacho

11.Victor Moses.

4-3-3
What role did you place Nacho?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 5:31pm On May 06, 2018
klexycole:
Ah! shocked Our players dey vex oo. cheesy cheesy
Watapin?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 5:35pm On May 06, 2018
CaptainStephen:
Moses with a cross for Chelsea's goal.

i know he can do this in the world cup , my fear is ,if the striker fail to Utilise the pass , he will become selfish and want to dribble to take the ball in....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:36pm On May 06, 2018
Hahahaha
lexyman:

i know he can do this in the world cup , my fear is ,if the striker fail to Utilise the pass , he will become selfish and want to dribble to take the ball in....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:38pm On May 06, 2018
Arsenal switch formation

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:42pm On May 06, 2018
Both Imoh Ezekiel and Karo Etebo start for Las Palmas as they host Getafe
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:44pm On May 06, 2018
As a winger na
MetalJigsaw:
What role did you place Nacho?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CaptainStephen(m): 5:44pm On May 06, 2018
lexyman:

The cross and nod hasn't been our style for a long time now.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:44pm On May 06, 2018
Egbon Forgiveness made a comment which I picked up...

He said that Moses is as good as Mane. And that Kayode even plays in similar style.

Sir TheGoodJoe had earlier even suggested that Moses' techniques and abilities suggest that he will explode in that Salah role as he got great attacking instincts too....

Mikel even said Moses is a right winger not a RWB. He only does well there becos he improvises his plays excellently but Moses at his best and in his beast mode is the Moses we see in Nigeria's colors harassing fullbacks with his trickery, power and pace as a flying and dribbling Right winger.

Moses still dey play RWB today oooo... but mehn... you can see yet again the quality of his touches, crosses and movements when he goes forward and gets into some fine positions even from his RWB role...

I have to say that I see great sense in what Mikel, TheGoodJoe and Forgiveness said on Moses.

On Kayode ..... I will agree partially with Egbon Forgiveness too. Kayode and Mane does make almost similar kind of movements or runs.

#MyCandidOpinion.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:45pm On May 06, 2018
In a 4-3-3, it would be as a wing forward don't you think? wink

Joebie:
As a winger na
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:52pm On May 06, 2018
Right boss
TheSuperNerd:
In a 4-3-3, it would be as a wing forward don't you think? wink

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 5:54pm On May 06, 2018
Iwobi!!!!!!!!!! cheesy cheesy

They moved him from AM to CM in Arsenal's formation switch and he still pops up with a goal....

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 5:55pm On May 06, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Uzoho with a goal

In his own net abi how?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 5:55pm On May 06, 2018
ANALYSIS: Russia 2018: Why Nigeria is now in trouble, By Adegbenro Adebanjo

There will be no hiding place for the Super Eagles of Nigeria when the world’s most glamorous sporting event, the world cup, opens in Russia in 2018. The Nigerian side will actually be the team to beat as other countries who have qualified have started redoubling efforts to overawe the Nigerian side should they be drawn together on December 1 when the draw is made in Russia. The gang up against Nigeria is not because it qualified from its group even with a match to spare. It’s also not because in its round robin encounters with Cameroun, Algeria and Zambia, super powers of the round leather game on the continent, it did not taste defeat. Nigeria is in trouble because after qualifying for the showpiece event, the Super Eagles went on to do the unthinkable.

Yes the Nigeria Super Eagles are actually the architect of their own trouble. They played themselves into trouble when they went to Russia on November 13 and decimated one of the Super powers in the sport Argentina 4-2 with the whole world watching proceedings. The legendary Diego Maradona described the defeat of Argentina by Nigeria in the friendly match thus, ‘I am angry because they have taken away our prestige”. Indeed that famous victory has cast the Super Eagles in a new light and football aficionados across the world, including coaches and players who will be playing in the world, cup now see Nigeria as a formidable opponent which should not be trifle with. So Nigeria’s opponent in Russia will not take matches against the Super Eagle with levity. They will go all out and fire from all cylinders to humble this team that humiliated Argentina in Russia.

From all indications this will be Nigeria toughest World Cup ever. Forget the fact that by African standard the country has done relatively well in the competition. From the first appearance in 1994 the Eagles led by the Late Stephen Keshi almost created the biggest upset when they faced Italy in the second round and led by 1-0 until the very last moment when a momentary lack of concentration prevented them from caging the Roberto Baggio led squad in the second round. Italy eventually prevailed by 2-1.

Prior to that, the Eagles had humiliated Greece, Bulgaria and virtually retired Andoni Zubizarreta, the Spaniard all-time great goalkeeper who fumbled with the ball and allowed Eagles to run away with 3 – 2 win over Spain.

After USA’94 the Eagles managed to put up mainly respectable, and at times shambolic, performances in subsequent appearances at the world cup in the first round almost always qualifying for the second round.
That’s where they always stopped. And that is why the Eagles are in greater trouble with their compatriots who follow the game with dizzying passion. So this time around the Super Eagles and their handlers must know that second round qualification is not enough.

The success at Russia 2018 will be measured by at least a quarter final berth. Anything short of that will be tantamount to a successful failure. And these Eagles Class of 2018 have what it takes to shake the world. They have as Technical Adviser a man who seems to know his onions and has weathered the politics of the Football Association and the interference from high and low quarters.

Yes, Gernot Rohr has been inspiring and has engineered the team to deliver at critical times. He cannot afford not to deliver in Russia. And luckily for him he has a group of experienced players and new intakes who want to show that they have all it takes to become world beaters.

The Captain of the team, John Mikel Obi, is a veteran of sorts and he has shown that he has the support of his mates which is critical and the character of a team leader off and on the field of play. The likes of Victor Moses, Ahmed Musa, Ogenyi Onazi, Odion Ighalo, Abdulahi Sheu, Alex Iwobi have enough experience and fire in their belly to hold their own against any opposition.

And of course emerging key players like Kelechi Ihenacho, Leon Balogun and William Troost Ekong and new kid on the block Brian Idowu could also contribute to an anticipated success story in Russia.

However, as in the past extraneous forces and matters must not be allowed to infiltrate the team and preparations. Before long, those who played little or no role in the qualification race will want to reap from where they did not sow and through subterfuge and influence peddling will create division in the team. And of course, even ethnic jingoists and religious zealots are waiting in the wings to canvas for ethnic balance and religious equity. Such inanities and aberrations must not be imported into the march to Russia.

Rohr must be given the free hand to select his team. The role of the Football Association must be limited to contingency support from the background while government officials who have enough money to go to Russia must confine themselves to designated spots.

Former Super Eagles Chief Coach, Adegboye Onigbinde, has this advice for Rohr and his boys, ”The Eagles have a technical team employed to ensure they do well at competitions and I believe they should know what to do after seeing the way the team played both halves against Argentina. The team can go on to win the World Cup next year if the right things are done-part of which is giving them quality matches to play to prepare them for the task ahead. No two games are the same, and the same Argentina we beat 4-2 may meet us at World Cup and beat us silly. The team look good but they need reinforcements to enable them to keep up the performances and do better. The players should guard against being overconfident because they have defeated Argentina”. Certainly, a timely advice to steer Nigeria off the path of trouble in Russia.

https://www.premiumtimesng.com/sports/sports-features/249688-analysis-russia-2018-nigeria-now-trouble-adegbenro-adebanjo.html

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:55pm On May 06, 2018
Emotional outing. These players are ensuring they give Wenger a memorable send off

TheSuperNerd:
Iwobi!!!!!!!!!! cheesy cheesy

They moved him from AM to CM in Arsenal's formation switch and he still pops up with a goal....

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 5:56pm On May 06, 2018
terzurum5:
Moses Moses Mosess
Iwobi
Iwobi
Iwobiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (3457) (3458) (3459) (3460) (3461) (3462) (3463) ... (16242) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Ihenzy(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.