Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,288 members, 7,815,494 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:22 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3466) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11648137 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3463) (3464) (3465) (3466) (3467) (3468) (3469) ... (16145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:30am On May 07, 2018
“Excellent” Moses Rated High In Chelsea Win Over Liverpool
May 6, 2018 8:28 pm

Super Eagles star Victor Moses has received high marks for his stellar showing in Chelsea’s 1-0 Premier League win over Liverpool at Stamford Bridge on Sunday.
Moses delivered the cross that led to Olivier Giroud’s header in the first half which eventually sealed the important victory.

With the win, Chelsea got themselves back into the race for a top four finish and a spot in next season’s UEFA Champions League.
The deposed champions are still fifth but within only three points of third-placed Liverpool who have played a game more. Chelsea have 69 points from 36 games while Liverpool have 72 from 37 games. Fourth-placed Tottenham have 71 points from 36 matches, making for a tense finish to the race.

Moses, who bagged his fourth assist of the season in his 27th league game of the season playing as a wing-back, got the second highest marks among the 22 starters from the authoritative Independent and one of the highest from the tabloid Daily Star.

The Independent graded Moses eight out of 10 and described his performance as ‘excellent’.

“Moses hasn’t reached the heights of last season but he was imposing against an opposite number who has received a lot of praise this season,” the Independent wrote.
“Excellent work for the goal, he was a threat throughout the game with his wing play and crossing.”

Only Eden Hazard received a higher rating than the Super eagles star with nine over 10, while scorer Giroud also got eight. N’Golo Kante got six.

The Daily Star rated Moses seven out of 10, but gave Hazard, Kante and Giroud eight each.

Moses, who had a brilliant qualifying campaign, is expected to be one of Nigeria’s top players at the Russia 2018 World Cup in June.

The Independent’s Ratings:
Courtois 6/10
Azpilicueta 7
Cahill 6
Rudiger 6
MOSES 8
Fabregas 7
Kante 6
Bakayoko 7
Alonso 7
Hazard 9
Giroud 8

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/excellent-moses-rated-high-in-chelsea-win-over-liverpool/

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:31am On May 07, 2018
tbaba1234:

Yekini got into the national team young. Should we bring in some young talents into the team and wait for them to hit their peak..

No one has patience for that... Instead, hit your peak at club level then maybe, you would be invited .

The bolded is exactly my Ideology.

In the mid 80s Nigeria never really had a stand out recognized striker. That was why Yekini at that his young age could feature and even though he was not really exceptional at that stage we kept faith with him until he hit his peak.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:36am On May 07, 2018
Joebie:
Which of the trio give away balls easily? Ndidi, the master tackler Mikel the master holder and sprayer of long passes. Iwobi the master distributor of short passes
The solution of the equation tells me the contrary
Iwobi gives away balls

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:41am On May 07, 2018
realpoacher:

You place too much emphasis on defense forgetting that the best form of defence is Attack. Every time we had Iwobi roaming around the final third 18 yard box, he had scored.

This too much emphasis you place on defense was what Rohr thought when he played 3 original DMs in Onazi, Ndidi, and Joel Obi against Serbia ��, yet we got a whooping.

Remember this:
If you need too many men behind the ball ⚽ inorder to defend, then you truly don't know how to defend

Firstly, You set up your team both based on the strength and nature of your opposition and also your strength.

Believe it or not Croatia vs Nigeria, we are the under dogs in that fixture. When you play a team that is better than you are you don't go all out and all attack else you will expose your weaknesses.

Secondly at the bolded, Joel Obi did not play as a DM in the game. What we had was more like 2 blocking 4 (ie Ndidi and Onazi). And that is a set up we here have already proposed against Croatia. Remember we played Serbia bc of Croatia. There is nothing wrong with that set up.

You need to match a team like Croatia first in the midfield before you can hope to get a result from that fixture.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:44am On May 07, 2018
TheSuperNerd:

Says Caf coach of the year, Sir MetalJigsaw....
Let's not deceive ourselves sir, Iwobi is still a baby when it comes to shouldering our AM position because he lacks that calming presence and the ability to hold onto the ball in the midst of pressuring opponents, which Mikel does excellently well'.
Imagine Iwobi in that role against Croatia- suicidal
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 8:54am On May 07, 2018
Joebie:
If Nacho end up our top scorer for WC una go still call am hype? Abi una no dey watch SE games? Too much club football dey worry una grin

That one na ''IF''; Make he achieve am first make we see na. Na then e go really deserve am.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:00am On May 07, 2018
As e stand he no deserve to be in the team abi?

MetalJigsaw:
That one na ''IF''; Make he achieve am first make we see na. Na then e go really deserve am.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:03am On May 07, 2018
Kog45:
Yes and Mikel should do his things with Ndidi and Iwobi ahead with Nacho and Moses WF with Ighalo as point man,forget it Croatia in trouble.
Well, I get your point. But on that Nacho wing role, we both know its more like an experimental process on Rohr's part during the WC. Nacho lacks pace and trickery... and these are basic requirements for playing that role.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 9:07am On May 07, 2018
Icon4s:

Me sef follow for the hypers?

TheSuperNerd and TheGoodJoe must hear this.
Ok . Make I bribe you with a chilled bottle of Gulder... abi Don Simon?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by LordOfNaira: 9:26am On May 07, 2018
Icon4s:

Even though I agree we may not have lost to SA if Balogun, Mikel and Moses had played, I cannot say same for that Serbia game. We still could have been no match to Serbia had the trio played.

I brought up the two matches because they are the only two losses that Rohr has suffered since he began handling our team.

I don't believe they are mere coincidence.

And I do believe we would have dismantled Serbia with Moses and Mikel and Balogun pairing Troost in CB.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:38am On May 07, 2018
Arsenal: Alex Iwobi may benefit most from Arsene Wenger departure

by Josh Sippie 3h ago

Arsenal had a team full of star performers against Burnley, but what Alex Iwobi did was particularly special, given his circumstances. It’s fair to say that no Arsenal man has been more disappointing these past two years than Alex Iwobi. After bursting onto the scene, he proceeded to sputter into a struggling starter, then was dropped, at one point all the way to the U23s, and has yet to make his way back into the starting XI picture.

It’s been a heaping of frustration as no one can seem to grasp how best to utilize him and, now that he is 22, the time is getting kind of nigh. Iwobi’s final ball continues to lack any sort of threat and that can be a problem for an attacking player. Which is why, despite all the massive performances against Burnley, nobody’s performance meant more to both himself and to the fans than Alex Iwobi’s.

This was the best we had seen Iwobi in two whole years. After his initial ‘final ball’ looked like failed Iwobi and sputtered to no one, he proceeded to drop a masterful performance that saw him showcasing all of his talents and even capitalizing on the skills he is criticized for not having. His ability to drive from deep is known. It’s the one positive that we’ve been able to glean from his performances this year. When he gets on the ball, he can shimmy away from defenders with the best of them. But when he gets into the box, things change. Only against Burnley, they didn’t.

As if Iwobi knew that he had to prove something, with Arsene Wenger leaving, he was clinical in the box. Both of the first two goals began with an astute Iwobi pass in the final third that led immediately to an assist and a goal. And his goal? That was the cream of the crop. Yes, he was given all the time and space he could ever hope for, but he has scuffed many such opportunities before. Had he fluffed it over the bar and into the 14th row, we’d have shrugged and thought “yep, that’s Iwobi.”
But he didn’t. He planted it into the top corner like this was the regular thing to do.

Iwobi was a menace out there, and maybe, just maybe, Wenger’s exit will awaken in him the determination to prove himself to the world, rather than to just one man.

--PAINinTHEarsenalDOTcom

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 9:39am On May 07, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Well, I get your point. But on that Nacho wing role, we both know its more like an experimental process on Rohr's part during the WC. Nacho lacks pace and trickery... and these are basic requirements for playing that role.
Thanks.OK give me formation that will accommodate,Iwobi,Iheanacho,Moses and Ighalo in the starting lineup cos i want to see these guys against Croatia.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 9:55am On May 07, 2018
Arsenal vs Burnley Highlights.
Two key passes from Iwobi for the first and second goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDnRmXY7cOE

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 9:59am On May 07, 2018
Mujtahida:

Let them keep wasting him on the wings. I'm almost tempted to call it mumuness
wow. I'm tempted to say I've never thought of him playing it Mikel and Ndidi in midfield. I wonder the damage the attack they'll create would be like. with Nacho and Moses at the wings!??

That would be sweet. Defensively though, Ndidi and Mikel may fall back leaving Moses and Iwobi upfront, they have the counter attack blood. But loopholes will still exist
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 10:21am On May 07, 2018
That midfield is one that can work magic against certain levels of opposition at the top level. Iwobi as an AM or CM is bound to exert more influence. Against Serbia, in the second half especially, when he moved centrally, we saw an Iwobi who could not only hold unto the ball but also wriggle his way out of tight positions with excellent fancy footwork and still keeping possession. We saw how he sprayed passes with ease and was simply dictating play. So how is it then that this same Iwobi cannot hold unto the ball?

Against Burnley, you saw him in both AM and CM roles and he excelled. He did same also in the role before his injury scare.

Against Croatia, we will likely not play that formation because I don't see Rohr playing it... At least not yet.

MetalJigsaw:
Let's not deceive ourselves sir, Iwobi is still a baby when it comes to shouldering our AM position because he lacks that calming presence and the ability to hold onto the ball in the midst of pressuring opponents, which Mikel does excellently well'.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:44am On May 07, 2018
Kog45:
Thanks.OK give me formation that will accommodate,Iwobi,Iheanacho,Moses and Ighalo in the starting lineup cos i want to see these guys against Croatia.

Is Mikel included?

Rohr predictabily will go for a 4-2-3-1 formation in that game . For the lone striker Ighalo is likely to start. And Mikel will play behind him. and of course Moses and Iwobi will play from the wings. Iheanacho not likely to start.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 10:58am On May 07, 2018
Good morning everybody... watching the clips on Musa..i keep asking myself...when will Musa produce those intelligent runs...amazing movements and goals for Nigeria....?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:02am On May 07, 2018
gamaliel9:
Good morning everybody... watching the clips on Musa..i keep asking myself...when will Musa produce those intelligent runs...amazing movements and goals for Nigeria....?

For the Super Eagles Musa seems more effective when he comes in as a sub.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:09am On May 07, 2018
Icon4s:

Is Mikel included?

Rohr predictabily will go for a 4-2-3-1 formation in that game . For the lone striker Ighalo is likely to start. And Mikel will play behind him. and of course Moses and Iwobi will play from the wings. Iheanacho not likely to start.
Good but i want Iheanacho starting,if that's not possible,meaning Onazi comes into the lineup.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 11:17am On May 07, 2018
Kog45:
Good but i want Iheanacho starting,if that's not possible,meaning Onazi comes into the lineup.

Yes Onazi and Ndidi make up the 2 midfield players in the 4-2-3-1 set up.

Iheanacho may start if Rohr goes for a 4-4-2. It simply means one of Onazi and Ndidi will not start:

...............Ighalo
...........................Iheanacho

Iwobi....... Mikel........ Moses

.................Ndidi

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:21am On May 07, 2018
Kog45:
Remember I said this when we had discussion on his fitness level during March friendlies especially his performance against Serbia.

I think things are getting clearer now,how on earth a player just coming back from groin injury played 90 minutes football.

This silky mistake can ruled the young man out of WC.

He will make the WC but he will have to play the friendlies to be fully fit.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:21am On May 07, 2018
Icon4s:

Yes Onazi and Ndidi make up the 2 midfield players in the 4-2-3-1 set up.

Iheanacho may start if Rohr goes for a 4-4-2. It simply means one of Onazi and Ndidi will not start:

...............Ighalo
...........................Iheanacho

Iwobi....... Mikel........ Moses

.................Ndidi

OK great,apart from 4-2-3-1 and 4-4-2,pls give me your ideal players for 4-3-3 and 3-5-2
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:29am On May 07, 2018
tbaba1234:

He will make the WC but he will have to play the friendlies to be fully fit.
I know if he is fit.

Sir hope he has recovered fully and resting his legs cos of WC or still going through treatment.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:32am On May 07, 2018
Kog45:
I know if he is fit.

Sir hope he has recovered fully and resting his legs cos of WC or still going through treatment.

The last i read was that he had recovered or close to recovery.. It is good that he took the time now to fully recover..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:36am On May 07, 2018
tbaba1234:

The last i read was that he had recovered or close to recovery.. It is good that he took the time now to fully recover..
Better,any latest news on Ndidi hamstring injury cos it was reported he w be sidelined for six weeks.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:48am On May 07, 2018
Kog45:
Better,any latest news on Ndidi hamstring injury cos it was reported he w be sidelined for six weeks.

He will be healed in 4 weeks. The last 2 weeks is rehabilitation and mild training.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 11:50am On May 07, 2018
tbaba1234:

He will be healed in 4 weeks. The last 2 weeks is rehabilitation and mild training.
Good to hear that,pls any clue on 35 man list.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:55am On May 07, 2018
Kog45:
Good to hear that,pls any clue on 35 man list.

No.. I do not expect much surprises on the list.

According to Toyin Ibitoye, Ndidi should be fully fit for our last warm up game against Czech on June 6. I expect, he will get at least 30 mins.Then he has enough days to prepare for the first game on June 16.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:30pm On May 07, 2018
MetalJigsaw:

That's what they say: he cannot hold play, he cannot give long passes etc etc

Iwobi is born for the middle. Take it or leave it

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:35pm On May 07, 2018
Ndidi's injury might be a blessing because the man has been overworked this season. Getting a few weeks of rest might be what is needed to have him in the best possible shape.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 12:52pm On May 07, 2018
tbaba1234:
Ndidi's injury might be a blessing because the man has been overworked this season. Getting a few weeks of rest might be what is needed to have him in the best possible shape.
if he is fit for our first game then it would be a blessing in disguise.. people often underestimate the issue of fatigue or burn out in summer international tournaments in the modern game for epl based players

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 1:01pm On May 07, 2018
Mujtahida:

That's what they say: he cannot hold play, he cannot give long passes etc etc

Iwobi is born for the middle. Take it or leave it
He's good but not ready that's the point.

I'm not saying he's not talented or not born for the middle. He's not matured yet.

(1) (2) (3) ... (3463) (3464) (3465) (3466) (3467) (3468) (3469) ... (16145) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: charlesemeka85(m), Silentgroper(m), Bigmech and 16 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.