Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,020 members, 7,852,487 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 06:59 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3471) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11879581 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3468) (3469) (3470) (3471) (3472) (3473) (3474) ... (16253) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 9:36pm On May 07, 2018
Huddersfield is most likely to sign Leon Balogun on a free for Next Season..

Another Nigerian in the Premier league.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 9:37pm On May 07, 2018
charlesemeka85:
one of mikel's best performances in super eagles jersey was against CIV in 2013 afcon where he was deployed as a central midfielder by the late keshi. he orchestrated the team's play from the middle and was a handful for yaya toure and the late tiote that faithful day. he helped out defending and even cleared a late minute equalizer. he was classy and too hot for the ivorians to handle

Of course,Mikel can play the CM role very well.. he has been doing that for long.. But the thing is,age has caught up with him.. His pace as reduced unlike before... CMFs have to be fast and disciplined enough to cover the defence and attack at the same time.. Mikel should keep playing the AMF role.. Iwobi can always come in for him in the second half..
A midfield combo of Ndidi -DM Etebo-CM Mikel-AM will be juicy... if Mikel is subbed off in the 2nd half, Iwobi can move to AM while Etebo to the wing or another player takes the wing..
Our team has a lot of versatile players...that's a big plus for us

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:40pm On May 07, 2018
Icon4s:

Let me direct this question to his senior advocate in the person of TheGoodJoe.

That is why I keep doffing my heart to Rohr. I gave a simple point that a player who did well and outclassed one of the respected regulars, should not be thrown aside because a coach dumped the player. This is another case of doing more than just folding arms.

Rohr held a camp larger than the usual, tested players including Oshaniwa. All I asked for was a look in. The point is too simple.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:41pm On May 07, 2018
safarigirl:

1) 2013 was five years ago. In that time, Enyeama and Emenike have retired, Mikel is now Captain, Musa is not a starter, Echiejile is washed up. Should we really judge how good Mikel is in a position based on a five-year old game? We didn't even have better wingers then

2) CIV is not Croatia or Argentina or even Iceland. So, what makes you think Mikel will work as good in that position with our World Cup opponents? Bear in mind, once again, that game was 5 years ago.

We might as well bring up Mikel's game against Spain in the Confeds of that same year to defend the stance that he is better as an AM. That is arguably his best game in a Super Eagles jersey

mikel being deployed as a number 10 by rohr is because of the team's lack of a creative midfielder. if mikel is a super 10 why didn't any of chelsea's coaches risk him in that position during his stint with the londoners? in his present club in china does he play as a 10 often? lets not allow sentiment cloud our sense of reasoning. he is loved by all but his talent and experience will be better utilized if he is deployed as a central midfielder
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:44pm On May 07, 2018
Mickael2:

I am not sure that there is anything I can add here at all. theGoodJoe keeps on saying we should do more, so does that mean we should be sending special coaches to every Chrisantus, Sani Emmanuel and Okoro that shines in the U17 world cup? the thing is that even if you start sending them these coaches some of them still won't make it not to mention the financial constraint involved. How many coaches you go hire? He keeps saying this thing but I am not exactly sure I understand his point

How does do more mean we should send coaches to all players? Na wa. Sometimes the talk here can go off point. I just gave an example of how Rohr is taking extra steps than depending on the clubs. I never and it is never the only way.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:47pm On May 07, 2018
charlesemeka85:

mikel being deployed as a number 10 by rohr is because of the team's lack of a creative midfielder. if mikel is a super 10 why didn't any of chelsea's coaches risk him in that position during his stint with the londoners? in his present club in china does he play as a 10 often? lets not allow sentiment cloud our sense of reasoning. he is loved by all but his talent and experience will be better utilized if he is deployed as a central midfielder

Simple. When you have the likes of Lampard, Deco, Ballack in the squad, the young African needs to take what ever is left. If Pellegrini did not give Yaya Toure the license to attack at will, many would doubt he ever had the ability to do it.

Mikel is a Super 10. Unfortunately at Chelsea, he always had proven names ahead of him.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 9:48pm On May 07, 2018
charlesemeka85:

are we really going to discuss the destruction of Mikel's potential by countless Chelsea coaches?

So, the white people obviously know better because they are in Europe undecided.....and Siasia that discovered him doesn't know how to play him.

I won't even answer those questions, they are annoying enough already. I can't believe a Nigerian is asking such a question undecided.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:49pm On May 07, 2018
charlesemeka85:

lol i'm just saying the way i see it. mikel playing as a central midfielder doesnt mean he is a lesser player but the best position where his enormous experience will be evident and utilized by the team

Mikel has been most effective for us in recent years as a number 10. Why take him back to CM?

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:51pm On May 07, 2018
charlesemeka85:

Haha, I told you.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 9:54pm On May 07, 2018
Danielnino00:

Of course,Mikel can play the CM role very well.. he has been doing that for long.. But the thing is,age has caught up with him.. His pace as reduced unlike before... CMFs have to be fast and disciplined enough to cover the defence and attack at the same time.. Mikel should keep playing the AMF role.. Iwobi can always come in for him in the second half..
A midfield combo of Ndidi -DM Etebo-CM Mikel-AM will be juicy... if Mikel is subbed off in the 2nd half, Iwobi can move to AM while Etebo to the wing or another player takes the wing..
Our team has a lot of versatile players...that's a big plus for us

because of his age and lack of speed that's why he will perform better as a central/deep lying play maker. Mikel naturally doesn't have the pace to strive as an attacking midfielder but as been deployed as a 10 during his days with the Nigerian youth team and few matches international football. the attacking midfield 'role will be too stressful for him judging by his lack of pace to move tro and fro in a match. sitting as a central midfielder and having a youthful Iwobi in front of him who has the energy to burst forward and return when the need arises will be a plus tothe team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:55pm On May 07, 2018
Icon4s:

As I said before, that is why we have age grade competitions.

Salisu Yusuf is the coach of the U23 team. Let Osimhen and K. Nwakali make themselves available for selection.

Uzoho's case is different cos he is a goal keeper and we find ourselves in a dire situation in that department. For what reason will you send a special trainer to Osimhen or Nwakali. Oga that does not count here.

You mentioned having a system where a country will have a large pool of young players to select from. You cannot achieve that by picking one or two players saying they are special talents and sending special trainers to them. You can only achieve that kind of system by ensuring all your young talents are actively involved in your youth programs. From U17, U20 to U21/23.

I still insist we need a standing U21 team. That is where we can pick from a large pool of players who are to be promoted to the senior team.

I wonder where you got send coaches to Osimhen and K. Nwakali. I just gave you an example of Rohr knowing folding his arms and waiting for international break will get us no where. We need to do more. One is to get the team B more active and a testing point for our top Potentials. Hold larger camps in this level and have unbiased screenings. Those that show real quality can have chances to train with the main team. These are just points off the top of my head. How it turned to just send coaches to teams beats my imagination. I just pointed out that Rohr has shown we need to do more.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 9:55pm On May 07, 2018
Icon4s:

Haha, I told you.

Mikel's people don catch am grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:58pm On May 07, 2018
charlesemeka85:

because of his age and lack of speed that's why he will perform better as a central/deep lying play maker. Mikel naturally doesn't have the pace to strive as an attacking midfielder but as been deployed as a 10 during his days with the Nigerian youth team and few matches international football. the attacking midfield 'role will be too stressful for him judging by his lack of pace to move tro and fro in a match. sitting as a central midfielder and having a youthful Iwobi in front of him who has the energy to burst forward and return when the need arises will be a plus tothe team.

We have a big challenge of unlocking defences with clever passes and Mikel holds the key to that for our team. Playing Mikel in a deeper role means cutting off supplies to our forwards. A risk we should not take.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:02pm On May 07, 2018
charlesemeka85:

Somebody should correct me if I'm wrong o.. but isn't it the CM primary role to dictate play by covering both the attack and defence? The CM can also play the box to box role..

Mikel's lack of pace is what make him best suited for the AM role.. A young and energetic Ndidi and Etebo will b there to cover for him..

But biko,why do u suddenly have a problem with Mikel's role?? He has been playing the role since Rohr took over he's been great there...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:03pm On May 07, 2018
Icon4s:

Mikel has been most effective for us in recent years as a number 10. Why take him back to CM?
thats because the the lacks a proper number 10. if rohr can experiment a bit against england by deploying iwobi as the the team's number 10 you all will clamor for him to hold onto that position. believe you me mikel will shock the world in the upcoming world cup if rohr plays him as a central midfielder which will bring out his best for the world to see.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 10:03pm On May 07, 2018
charlesemeka85:

Bro, you don't change what is already working.

Mikel played the qualifiers as a no.10.World cup won't change that.

We have passed the stage of experimentation.Barring injury, Mikel will always start as our no.10 just like Moses will always play from the wings.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:05pm On May 07, 2018
Find it in the same link.

Players in bold positions here can be referred to as wingers

MetalJigsaw:
See all the possible football positions here and let's settle this once and for all.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winger_(association_football)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:07pm On May 07, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

I wonder where you got send coaches to Osimhen and K. Nwakali. I just gave you an example of Rohr knowing folding his arms and waiting for international break will get us no where. We need to do more. One is to get the team B more active and a testing point for our top Potentials. Hold larger camps in this level and have unbiased screenings. Those that show real quality can have chances to train with the main team. These are just points off the top of my head. How it turned to just send coaches to teams beats my imagination. I just pointed out that Rohr has shown we need to do more.

So why were you now citing the case of he sending traininers to Uzoho? It simply means that example does not count here.

TheGoodJoe, see how I just dey look you. No be point wey I raise you dey butress so?

Anyways I Don talk my own Finnish on that matter.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:10pm On May 07, 2018
Icon4s:

I know. I just made a general comment which is in line with people's preference for Iwobi over Mikel in that number 10 role. And heck no. Iwobi is definitely ahead of Iheanacho and Etebo in that role.

Has he ever played the role for Nigeria under Rohr?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:11pm On May 07, 2018
charlesemeka85:

thats because the the lacks a proper number 10. if rohr can experiment a bit against england by deploying iwobi as the the team's number 10 you all will clamor for him to hold onto that position. believe you me mikel will shock the world in the upcoming world cup if rohr plays him as a central midfielder which will bring out his best for the world to see.

The CM he played at Brazil 2014 and was tagged a "slowbie"?

Oga, Mikel is our number 10 to Russia.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 10:11pm On May 07, 2018
Wetin be downgrade there? Do u know the meaning of the word?

Danielnino00:

@ bolded are u now trying to downgrade Shehu?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by realpoacher(m): 10:11pm On May 07, 2018
Icon4s:

Firstly, please keep this discussion as civil as possible. No need for the use of provocative words. We are only rubbing minds and discussing tactics.

Now, back to the discussion. Yes I watch matches almost everyday mostly club matches. And during international breaks I watch national team matches across different continents.

What most of us here don't understand is the national team setting is usually different from club settings. Club coaches find it convenient staying with coaching of clubs while national team coaches find it convenient coaching the national teams.

Look at the way national teams play and look at the way clubs play. Dont you notice any difference in the approaches?

With clubs a coach can come up with any form of tactics and go out in search of players they feel can fit into such tactics but for the national team you are only limited to the players you have. You cannot buy a ready made player to come and play for you.

National teams are set up such that if you don't win don't lose because the chances to redeem yourself after losing a game are so few. The WC is held every 4years. Unlike Clubs that play weekly at times twice a week. You get whipped on Wednesday you have another competition on Saturday to correct your wrongs.

National team tactics are mostly conservative!

Watch how national teams play and Watch how clubs play and you will understand. You now wonder why so many AFCON and WC group games end in draws. And penalty shoot-outs at knock out stages.
Yes, football is dynamic and has evolved over time but the national teams would always adopt the safest approach. You are citing cases of Real Madrid do we have the kind of quality those clubs have?

To your point, you are saying we should gift them the midfield and follow the wings. I hope you don't see the midfield as only the center circle. For your information, part of the wings are also part of the midfield. When you lose possession of the midfield how will you get the balls across to the wingers?

Hold on to your beliefs and let me hold on to mine. No one gets a trophy for winning any arguments here. But once again try remain civil in your comments.

At bolded, i am terribly sorry if my post upsets you. I didn't intend it that way. I was only trying to be aggressive with my point,..

But if my intentions were read wrong. I hereby tender my unreserved apologies

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:12pm On May 07, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Has he ever played the role for Nigeria under Rohr?
Yes. In the friendly against Senegal.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:16pm On May 07, 2018
Icon4s:

So why were you now citing the case of he sending traininers to Uzoho? It simply means that example does not count here.

TheGoodJoe, see how I just dey look you. No be point wey I raise you dey butress so?

Anyways I Don talk my own Finnish on that matter.

It counts. It shows Rohr knows that we can not just count on foreign clubs to get our players playing at their best and thought outside the box. Sending trainers to them was a brilliant idea than folding arms.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:17pm On May 07, 2018
realpoacher:

At bolded, i am terribly sorry if my post upsets you. I didn't intend it that way. I was only trying to be aggressive with my point,..

But if my intentions were read wrong. I hereby tender my unreserved apologies

No problems, apologies accepted. I was not in any way upset. Just guarding against comments that have led to frackers here in the past.

We have been discussing here for some few weeks now even though with intensity but no insults. We just need to maintain this spirit into the WC.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 10:19pm On May 07, 2018
charlesemeka85:

We can as well play Moses as WB since Conte doesn't trust him enough to risk him as a winger.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:19pm On May 07, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

It counts. It shows Rohr knows that we can not just count on foreign clubs to get our players playing at their best and thought outside the box. Sending trainers to them was a brilliant idea than folding arms.

So how does this relate to Osimhen and Nwakali?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:21pm On May 07, 2018
Icon4s:

Yes. In the friendly against Senegal.

My point was that Etebo and Iheanacho have been played there way more than Iwobi. In Rohr's depth chart they are above him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 10:22pm On May 07, 2018
we played a 3-5-2 against Argentina in the absence of V.Moses.If he were to be present how will we line-up?

Am thinking of a 3-4-3.

Uzoho

Awaziem Balogun Ekoong

Ebuehi Aina

Ndidi-Etebo

Iwobi Iheanacho V.Moses

Modified:Where will Mikel fit in?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:22pm On May 07, 2018
Danielnino00:

Somebody should correct me if I'm wrong o.. but isn't it the CM primary role to dictate play by covering both the attack and defence? The CM can also play the box to box role..

Mikel's lack of pace is what make him best suited for the AM role.. A young and energetic Ndidi and Etebo will b there to cover for him..

But biko,why do u suddenly have a problem with Mikel's role?? He has been playing the role since Rohr took over he's been great there...

so you mean the central midfield role requires more pace than the attacking midfield role? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy deploying mikel as a central midfielder will afford him the opportunity to orchestrate the team's play with his God given footballing intelligence,vision and experience. playing as a CM doesn't stop him to create something when he ventures forward. players such as xavi,pirlo,modric etc lacked that strength and physicality to play as a 10 but where best utilized by their clubs and national teams as central midfielders where they fit in better. if rohr happens to unearth a good and natural number 10 i doubt if he will deploy mikel as a number 10 again. mikel's intelligence,calmness on the ball and his experience will be better utilized as a central midfielder. one of the major attribute of an attacking midfielder is shooting ability and mikel lacks it big time. also a good 10 comes up with decent amount of goals and we all know mikel doesn't score much.aside being a good passer of the ball and very intelligent with on the ball mikel lacks in other other areas when classified as an number 10
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:23pm On May 07, 2018
charlesemeka85:

Abeg when last did you watch Mikel play for the Super Eagles?

It seems you have not been following the SE of late.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:27pm On May 07, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

My point was that Etebo and Iheanacho have been played there way more than Iwobi. In Rohr's depth chart they are above him.

Haha. They are not. Just that Rohr likes playing Iwobi from the wings. Did you notice he deployed Iwobi to the AM position in the Poland game when Iheanacho was virtually lost for almost the whole duration of the time he spent. Didn't you notice the difference when Iwobi went central after Iheanacho was taken off?

(1) (2) (3) ... (3468) (3469) (3470) (3471) (3472) (3473) (3474) ... (16253) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: kayburner, KpagoGIN(m), vonnelixir, Goke7 and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.