Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,525 members, 7,854,259 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 01:21 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3662) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11891869 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3659) (3660) (3661) (3662) (3663) (3664) (3665) ... (16278) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 12:51pm On May 24, 2018
asha80:
barcelona did it under guardiola where they pressure you when you get they lose the ball..probably not up to 6 players though

It backfired on more than one occasion. That his team had the potential to win UCL for 3 straight season. Even the team shown above was booted out before the final.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by poseidonsaiz(m): 12:53pm On May 24, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Kelechi Nwakali was named among the top 50 best teens in 2017 according to Marca. He was no. 46 on the list.

So what nonsense are you Saying Ohh thou clueless one?

Also he was picked to be Arsenal's best loaner from last season before the 2017/2018 season. This is why he had to be sent back to MVV for much more playing time to continue his rise and debt since VVV were not giving him enough playing time this past season.

https://m.guardian.ng/sport/kelechi-nwakali-named-arsenals-most-outstanding-loanee/

And uhmmm abeg... Iniesta is an Am and CM.... How many goals him get for LA liga this season?cheesy
You are so so clueless about Nwakali. A midfielder is judged more by his contributions to team plays and his influence on his team 's style and their organisation and flows in the middle and how well he links the midfield to the attack (for DMs it is about how well they protect the back four and serve as the team' s anchorman) .. Goals are a bonus for the MF.

Nwakali laid on several 'second assists' for MVV (passes that lead to assists or what is called the pass before the final pass or assist before the assist)and was magical every time he scored..... His goal against Oblak was Not the first time he was unleashing such magic. He also did it for MVV this past season. I saw that game. This kid even scored on his eredivisie debut before returning to MVV.

It is obvious you are blind to these truths and know nothing of what you say. Speak on what you know abeg Mr Southgate.... Like giving us a few banters about what is happening AT St. George's Park where your darling team The Three Lions are based. cheesy

cheers boss. Hard facts

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:53pm On May 24, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Rohr Takes A Leaf Out Of World Cup-Winning Manager's Book: Eagles Wear GPS Trackers

European football tactician Gernot Rohr has taken a leaf out of Joachim Low's book, with the national team players wearing GPS trackers before the start of the training session. (see photo)

That small device was instrumental to the success of Germany winning the 2014 World Cup, Low decided to introduce Mario Gotze, who netted the winning goal, as a substitute over other options based on GPS data.

The GPS data will measure how the Super Eagles players perform in training games, the number of changes in direction, cardiac frequency variable that is monitoring of their heartbeats.

Rohr will be able to compare the players in camp and the information will assist him to know a player's level while with the national team.

As at the time this report, the players were taking part in a shooting practice before the start of the practice game.

**Ifeanyi Emmanuel

SOURCE: ANS

They need to do heading practice, especially on corners and free kicks. We need our defenders to start chipping in with goals, that is the hallmark of a good team everybody can score.

8 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 12:53pm On May 24, 2018
mank1234:

It backfired on more than one occasion. That his team had the potential to win UCL for 3 straight season. Even the team shown above was booted out before the final.
which team are talking about here in the bold?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 12:56pm On May 24, 2018
asha80:
which team are talking about here in the bold?
The Dutch team in the video posted by tbaba1234
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 12:59pm On May 24, 2018
mank1234:

The Dutch team in the video posted by tbaba1234
lol a team that reached the 1974 world cup final? thrashing brazil and argentina along the way and basically the same team bar cruyff that also reached the final of the following one in 1978?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 1:05pm On May 24, 2018
Haha!! egbon forgiveness, actually, that would be difficult since I actually don't promote any player, per se. I mean, I have defended players like Tyronne Ebuehi against unfair criticism but I don't see that as promoting him a la the way you do with Kayode grin

Having said that, I am Igbo but that hasn't stopped me from being the biggest critics of players like Elderson Echiejile, Ikechukwu Ezenwa, and even John Ogu ... to mention but a few. When it comes to naija footie, I am the MOST detribalized Nigeria believe me.

O pari

forgiveness:

Hahahahahah! Look at this one! Pot calling kettle black. Oya! Take the lead by listing all the players you have promoted in your entire stay here. I don't want to use because you will be found wanting.

I am waiting.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 1:07pm On May 24, 2018
asha80:
lol a team that reached the 1974 world cup final? thrashing brazil and argentina along the way and basically the same team bar cruyff that also reached the final of the following one in 1978?

Did they win the trophy? If the strategy failed twice with the calibre of players in that team then the strategy is not fool-proof. Just imagine if ball gets behind the 6 displaced players.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 1:12pm On May 24, 2018
mank1234:

Did they win the trophy? If the strategy failed twice with the calibre of players in that team then the strategy is not fool-proof. Just imagine if ball gets behind the 6 displaced players.
i was simply countering your submission that they were booted out before reaching the final which is false..for them to do it in 74 and reach the final and go to 78 to reach the final again using the same system means they knew what they were doing and other teams they met en route to those two finals were simply overawed by that system (except germany and argentina whom the lost the two finals to)..whether they won it or not is not the issue here..no deviate

on being fool proof please tell me which system of football is fool proof and why is everyone not adopting that fool proof football

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 1:32pm On May 24, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
why the statement?

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 1:32pm On May 24, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
why the statement?

some foreign born use african teams as a stepping stone and reject callup for tournerment like Africa nations cup e.g Kelvin Prince boateng
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 1:38pm On May 24, 2018
Ndidi statistics

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 1:42pm On May 24, 2018
komekn:

What's the unit of measurement, Nigerian youth international winning multiple accolades.

Currently playing in the Eerste Divisie the lowly second tier of the Dutch football leagues. One of the easiest places to score goals among the top 20 leagues in Europe. A goal tally of 5 for the season is below average for a AM it's certainly not enough to justify a call up to the SE.

Compared to other teenagers is he in the top 100 in Europe very far from it. So if that's what you call progression what then is failure

you should no better

His playing in the Eerste Division because his principal club sent him out there

on scoring goals, that's not really how to judge game play, his progressing and will get there.

I don't understand your argument, he was not called up by Rohr but I'm very sure in the near future he will be there.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 1:44pm On May 24, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Oga that's not true. Rooney is a number nine. Muller and Kaka are examples.

you make me laugh, when rooney broke into United team, van nisterlroy was playing 9 and rooney was playing 8. Though he can lead the line too

Everyone knew Rooney was never an orthodox number 9 just like iheanacho but they can lead the line.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 1:45pm On May 24, 2018
asha80:
you know pep played something similar when he was barca..certainly not up to 6 players but whenever they lost the ball barca players seems to chase down the opponent with the ball in 2s and 3s like terriers until they got possession back

yea true, but 6 is too much...thats more than half of the players chasing a player down

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:49pm On May 24, 2018
Martz101:

some foreign born use african teams as a stepping stone and reject callup for tournerment like Africa nations cup e.g Kelvin Prince boateng

I think KPB loved playing for Ghana but he just couldn't get his head around some things that were going on like players flying business class while officials are in first class.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 1:52pm On May 24, 2018
According to him, sell Aaron Ramsey too while they keep Kolasinac. Useless pundits shocked

But I will actually like Iwobi to leave if the right offer comes along. I don't expect him to get as much playing time with Unai Emery incharge. He's a spineless coach, so expect senior players like Mesut Ozil to start running the show and deciding who plays or sits.

O pari

Martz101:

keep wilshere and welbeck but sell iwobi and ozil...wetin this man smoke?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 1:54pm On May 24, 2018
komekn:

Ukraine league is rated No. 7 in Europe I wouldn't call it backwater.

Then add to it Shatter Donetsk a club with true European champions league pedigree.

He has actually made upward progression. Then to be winning MOTM awards in that league as well. He has performed much better than many who have been invited. He clearly deserves a call up. Add to that he is versatile can play on the wings with good pace.

I really do not see any rational reason why he shouldn't have been invited players in a few friendlies to have a good look at what he can offer.

Cry from now till tomorrow nothing will change, even if Nigeria win the worldcup with this set of players you wont still be happy

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:57pm On May 24, 2018
SIMY ALREADY SHOWING HIS QUALITIES

How Super Eagles Lined Up In Training Session – Crotone Simy Scores Spectacular Goal
May 24, 2018013

Ahead of their upcoming friendly game against Congo DR in Port Hacourt, the senior national team of Nigeria had their second training session witnessed by Owngoalnigeria.com.

As usual the team were shared into two different teams by coach of the team Gernot Rohr after the traditional warming up, light exercises and shooting drills.

Rohr lined the team up in a way which suggest he is already building the team for the Congo DR friendly as most of the regular players were lined up in one team, while the rest who are trying to win a spot were lined up in a separate team.

The highlight of the one hour training session game saw newly invited Crotone forward Simeon Tochukwu Nwankwo open scoring in a spectacular fashion with a lob over the head of goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa.

Team A.

Francis Odinaka Uzoho (GK)

Leon Balogun

William Troost-Ekong

Ola Aina

Elderson Echiejile

Ogenyi Onazi

Joel Obi

Oghenekaro Etebo

DONT MISS ==> EXCLUSIVE: Efe Ambrose Reacts To Olympiakos Rumours
Junior Lokosa

Simy Nwankwo

Alex Iwobi

Team B:

Ikechukwu Ezenwa ( GK)

Kenneth Omeruo

Chidozie Awaziem

Stephen Eze

Uche Agbo

Kelechi Iheanacho

Mikel Agu

Odion Ighalo

Tyronne Ebuehi

Moses Simon

Ahmed Musa

Osas Mahawi

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 1:58pm On May 24, 2018
No football strategy/tactic if fool-proof. The other teams would eventually figure it out: the Ajax team of the late 90s; the Barca team under Gurdiola; the Chelsea team of last season ... you name, your opponent eventually figures you out. Hence, the key is to remain dynamic and keep changing tactics on the fly.

O pari

mank1234:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 1:59pm On May 24, 2018
Ndidi stats

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 2:02pm On May 24, 2018
yea alex leaving should be to away from epl. teams like monaco, hoffenheim, borussia dortmund and liepzig will suit him

Icon79:
According to him, sell Aaron Ramsey too while they keep Kolasinac. Useless pundits shocked

But I will actually like Iwobi to leave if the right offer comes along. I don't expect him to get as much playing time with Unai Emery incharge. He's a spineless coach, so expect senior players like Mesut Ozil to start running the show and deciding who plays or sits.

O pari

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 2:05pm On May 24, 2018
Icon79:

O pari

let's wait and see, you never know. the worldcup would help iwobi if he performs well
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 2:06pm On May 24, 2018
NFF: We Will Never Impose Super Eagles Players On Rohr

By Richard Jideaka, Abuja:

The Nigeria Football Federation have reiterated their resolve not to interfere with the work of Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

Amidst calls by football fans for the Eagles coach to extend invitations to at least two players of the Super Eagles B team who shone in the friendly game against Atletico Madrid on Tuesday, Chairman of NFF Technical and Development committee Ahmed Yusuf Fresh has stated that Rohr has the final say.
“It is not our style to interfere in the selection and invitation of players, whoever to coach wants he gets,” Fresh told CSN.
“We won’t force any player on the coach. We don’t do that and we won’t start it now. If he feels he needs more players, we will oblige him.
“We saw some players who excelled against Atletico Madrid and the coach also saw them. I don’t know whether he was impressed as to want to invite them. If he wants of the boys, he will notify us but we won’t force him to include any player.”
Fresh said that the entire team impressed him but picked the Nwakali brothers, Chidiebere and Kelechi, Usman Mohammad and captain of the day Musa Mohammed as exceptional in Uyo on Tuesday.
The players in question can only be included in the World Cup squad if any of the 23 in the final squad is forced to withdraw through injury.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 2:07pm On May 24, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

I think KPB loved playing for Ghana but he just couldn't get his head around some things that were going on like players flying business class while officials are in first class.

players like Gyan were not happy too but they played regardless, his always wanting to play in the worldcup and not nations cup
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:07pm On May 24, 2018
lol without using google i dare you to name 5 other clubs apart from dynamo kiev in the ukrainian league and you say it's not a backwater

CSKA moscow sef get true european pedigree na

don't exaggerate he has started well in ukraine time will tell how good he will turn out but i wish him the best

it's your prerogative to question his non inclusion but he has not been pulling up trees to justify his callup 3 goals in 21 games is not super striker form

komekn:

Ukraine league is rated No. 7 in Europe I wouldn't call it backwater.

Then add to it Shatter Donetsk a club with true European champions league pedigree.

He has actually made upward progression. Then to be winning MOTM awards in that league as well. He has performed much better than many who have been invited. He clearly deserves a call up. Add to that he is versatile can play on the wings with good pace.

I really do not see any rational reason why he shouldn't have been invited players in a few friendlies to have a good look at what he can offer.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zuchyblink(m): 2:08pm On May 24, 2018
More on Ndidi

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:09pm On May 24, 2018
So the team B played with 12 players, I guess grin

Anyway, so John Obi Mikel still isn't in the camp yet? What kind of captain is he? Talk about leading by example sad
The only player who has an excuse not to be in camp at this time is Victor Moses.

O pari

charlesemeka85:
SIMY ALREADY SHOWING HIS QUALITIES

How Super Eagles Lined Up In Training Session – Crotone Simy Scores Spectacular Goal
May 24, 2018013

Ahead of their upcoming friendly game against Congo DR in Port Hacourt, the senior national team of Nigeria had their second training session witnessed by Owngoalnigeria.com.

As usual the team were shared into two different teams by coach of the team Gernot Rohr after the traditional warming up, light exercises and shooting drills.

Rohr lined the team up in a way which suggest he is already building the team for the Congo DR friendly as most of the regular players were lined up in one team, while the rest who are trying to win a spot were lined up in a separate team.

The highlight of the one hour training session game saw newly invited Crotone forward Simeon Tochukwu Nwankwo open scoring in a spectacular fashion with a lob over the head of goalkeeper Ikechukwu Ezenwa.

Team A.

Francis Odinaka Uzoho (GK)

Leon Balogun

William Troost-Ekong

Ola Aina

Elderson Echiejile

Ogenyi Onazi

Joel Obi

Oghenekaro Etebo

DONT MISS ==> EXCLUSIVE: Efe Ambrose Reacts To Olympiakos Rumours
Junior Lokosa

Simy Nwankwo

Alex Iwobi

Team B:

Ikechukwu Ezenwa ( GK)

Kenneth Omeruo

Chidozie Awaziem

Stephen Eze

Uche Agbo

Kelechi Iheanacho

Mikel Agu

Odion Ighalo

Tyronne Ebuehi

Moses Simon

Ahmed Musa

Osas Mahawi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 2:09pm On May 24, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

They need to do heading practice, especially on corners and free kicks. We need our defenders to start chipping in with goals, that is the hallmark of a good team everybody can score.

very true and also defending setpeiece too.

Memory of batistuta goal in 2002 is still fresh
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 2:10pm On May 24, 2018
I agree. I think that Ligue1 or even La Liga would be a perfect fit for Iwobi's playing style.

O pari

charlesemeka85:
yea alex leaving should be to away from epl. teams like monaco, hoffenheim, borussia dortmund and liepzig will suit him

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 2:11pm On May 24, 2018
Breaking: Hapoel Beer Sheva Star Ogu Is 28th Man In Super Eagles World Cup Camp
Published: May 24, 2018
Breaking: Hapoel Beer Sheva Star Ogu Is 28th Man In Super Eagles World Cup Camp
Allnigeriasoccer.com understands that Hapoel Beer Sheva star John Ogu is poised to have his first training session with the national team at their get-together in Uyo later today, as he is presently on his way to the Super Eagles Le Meridien Ibom Hotel & Golf Resort.

An Air Peace Plane that took off from the Murtala Muhammed Domestic Airport in Lagos brought the midfielder to Uyo this afternoon.

Ogu has missed the Super Eagles last two training sessions on grass but there are no worries about his fitness as he went the distance in his club's final match of this season against Maccabi Netanya on Monday, May 21.

The two players named in Nigeria's 30-man provisional squad list still being expected as at the time of this report are unarguably the team's biggest stars in the shape of John Obi Mikel and his former Chelsea teammate Victor Moses.

The Super Eagles will continue training in Nigeria until May 30 when they depart to London for the glamour friendly with England on June 2.

They will commence their final phase of camping on June 3 in Austria, three days before facing Czech Republic.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

(1) (2) (3) ... (3659) (3660) (3661) (3662) (3663) (3664) (3665) ... (16278) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Moniter0, jihday(m), LoverOfPussy, elyte89, charlesemeka85(m), Odunayaw(m), sojious and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.