Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,599 members, 7,861,850 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 09:19 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3702) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11935172 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3699) (3700) (3701) (3702) (3703) (3704) (3705) ... (16347) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 3:40pm On May 26, 2018
Kog45:
Rohr formation should settle it cos Westerhoff was able to do it without Okocha at US 94 in the group stage,preferred Samson Siasia.
siasia could string good passes..can anyone of the present ones apart from mikel in the midfield do that?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 3:40pm On May 26, 2018
Icon4s:

Uyo to PH is quite a distance.

But thank God the East - West road is almost completed on that axis.
Gonna be fun for guys and with good security cos Nigeria tense now o make herdsmen no attack our boys o
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:40pm On May 26, 2018
Joebie:
That's not true. He can replace the injured player with any player, even outside his 30.

Seriously?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:41pm On May 26, 2018
Humility017:

who will now deputize mikel.in the midfield.... .?

Now, the beauty of this team is in the versatility. A couple of players can also play the AM role: Iwobi, Etebo, Iheanacho, and Joel. You may argue they are not up to par with Mikel in that position but thay remain options.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ykalhaji(m): 3:41pm On May 26, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
The second bolded had already been addressed by myself, Sir Tbaba1234 and a few others. Lokosa is in no bloody way better as a footballer than Kayode. But because of his goals stats in the NPFL and as a local player doing so, Rohr had to ride on courtesy and extend him an invitation. The issue of encouraging the hardwork of our local lads has always been a constant in our national team. If Rohr didn't invite a player having 18 goals in 21 games in the NPFL... It would be termed a big injustice and also said that he doesn't seek to help encourage the local lads.

So it was not for ability that Lokosa was picked but for his goals stats on the local front which, even you must confess, is too good to be ignored.

And uhmm... Who is even taking K.Nwakali seriously as regards Russia? Are you guys just making this up or what? It is agreed by most here that he cannot be included in the squad and for obvious reasons. He still lacks the experience to function at that level. Super Talented, he is but he needs to still mature.

And sorry... I don't agree with the first bolded. Speak for yourself. Some or even several of us here are certainly not tribalists. It is the truth.

Dictionary definition of tribalist

"an advocate or practitioner of strong loyalty to one's own tribe or social group"

So how many of us on a website "Nairaland" supporting strongly the team that is representing "us" at an international organization are not strong advocates of our social group ? Oh in this case your social group is Nigeria.

So if someone decides to go deeper and support a sub unit within the construct of Nigeria, you and the host of others who feel strongly about your Nigerian social group, shame such person to conformity in order not to destroy your own concept of the social group that Nigeria represents.
Being a tribalist is the core of being a human being. We must exist in a social context and unit for survival and sense of being.

Like I said earlier, being a tribalist, stupid and then domineering is the problem, not just being a tribalist.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 3:42pm On May 26, 2018
asha80:
siasia could string good passes..can anyone of the present ones apart from mikel in the midfield do that?
That's why i said Rohr formation should do it or are we saying tactically Rohr is zero.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 3:42pm On May 26, 2018
Icon4s:

Now, the beauty of this team is in the versatility. A couple of players can also play the AM role: Iwobi, Etebo, Iheanacho, and Joel. You may argue they are not up to par with Mikel in that position but thay remain options.
you're right...I will first take iwobi for that role...then nancho.
the rest two can stay play CM.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 3:42pm On May 26, 2018
andrew444:

Ideye is not that bad,ogbuke was injury prone that's why they need to access him well,the last time I checked ogbuke played for 2 top German club,schakle got him after impressing on loan,the injury was just too much,he played several games in the champions league so forget about agent,if you are good you are good

How many Nigeria strikers are better than ideye during his prime? They can't be more than 2 or 3 so what are we saying,go and check all his stats his only poor stats was at west brom,even emenike doesn't have better goal ratio than brown,the players that are better than ideye during is prime are players like yakubu and martins.

oga alot of players are way better than him, his agent is doing a mad job.

Wesbrom reported bought him without seeing him play.

watch him get another big club after not impressing in Teda and malaga.

Agent and management do the dirty business in football, players ability do help too
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 3:44pm On May 26, 2018
asha80:
this is my fear bro...reason why I wanted nwakali to be in the team.
I watched the young man passes it was so apt....and fitted.
well...let's hope iwobi be preserved for such duties...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 3:45pm On May 26, 2018
Humility017:

this is my fear bro...reason why I wanted nwakali to be in the team.
I watched the young man passes it was so apt....and fitted.
well...let's hope iwobi be preserved for such duties...
guy this your nwakali cry don dey much na

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ykalhaji(m): 3:45pm On May 26, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
The second bolded had already been addressed by myself, Sir Tbaba1234 and a few others. Lokosa is in no bloody way better as a footballer than Kayode. But because of his goals stats in the NPFL and as a local player doing so, Rohr had to ride on courtesy and extend him an invitation. The issue of encouraging the hardwork of our local lads has always been a constant in our national team. If Rohr didn't invite a player having 18 goals in 21 games in the NPFL... It would be termed a big injustice and also said that he doesn't seek to help encourage the local lads.

So it was not for ability that Lokosa was picked but for his goals stats on the local front which, even you must confess, is too good to be ignored.

And uhmm... Who is even taking K.Nwakali seriously as regards Russia? Are you guys just making this up or what? It is agreed by most here that he cannot be included in the squad and for obvious reasons. He still lacks the experience to function at that level. Super Talented, he is but he needs to still mature.

And sorry... I don't agree with the first bolded. Speak for yourself. Some or even several of us here are certainly not tribalists. It is the truth.

Concerning the Lokossa matter, I never said the matter had not being trashed, I just mainly pointed the foundation of forgiveness's arguement the day the list was announced, buttressing the point that the arguement started at a simple and honest place.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 3:45pm On May 26, 2018
Humility017:

who will be picked between aina and elderson....?

really I'm more confused than Rohr.

Aina would have been a straight choice but his not been wonderful in the past and picking him over Echiejile won't be fair knowing that Echiejile played 90% of our qualifiers.

i will take Echiejile as a backup for Idowu but i won't mind if Aina is picked

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 3:46pm On May 26, 2018
Mujtahida:

I don't think Osaze or Joel if he makes the team can be called gatecrashers. Osaze was already a Super Eagles player and so is Obi.

In 1998 I don't think Rashidi, Rufai, Eguavoen played the WCQ but they made the team. Nobody regarded them as gatecrashers.

Gatecrashers more appropriately would refer to the newbies who did not participate in the WCQ but still eventually make the team.
as far as me, I'm concerned, a gatecrasher is anyone who was not part of the team throughout the tenure of a coach, but made it in the last minute

Osaze was referred to as a gatecrasher back then, Martins was billed to gatecrash (before his injury), so, anyone who was not an original member under a coach and has not been part of a team for a space of at least one year, is a gatecrasher
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 3:47pm On May 26, 2018
isan:
Why are these Ghanaians and south Africans hating on Nigeria so much u need to see all their hate comment on Facebook pages well trust Nigerians too they are giving it to them as e dey hot

bro even Zambians too oo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 3:47pm On May 26, 2018
Humility017:

I wanted iwobi be kept for this....
he can as well come in for mikel in the second half....
So you expect Mikel to be subbed off in 2nd half in every match.

I think if Mikel is not available then Iwobi can do it cos am seeing Iwobi starting from his right position with Mikel as AM.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ykalhaji(m): 3:47pm On May 26, 2018
tbaba1234:

Meriam Webster defines tribalism as:

: tribal consciousness and loyalty;especially : exaltation of the tribe above other groups

Once you begin to raise your tribe or nation above others, there is a problem.

Boss we never used the word "tribalism" the word being bandied around is "tribalist".
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 3:48pm On May 26, 2018
asha80:
guy this your nwakali cry don dey much na
no naaa I am just sayn.
hababa I nor force am pass rohr throat.
just because I don't want mikel absence to be too felt. he can become the target man remember what happened against France....last world cup....and also Portugal against France...cristaino Ronaldo..

I just pray mikel has the strength like in the last Olympics....

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EEGA: 3:48pm On May 26, 2018
Mujtahida:

I don't think so. The facts lie more in Vicmo's side but not Iwobi.
Cos throughout the WCQ it wasn't clear cut between him and Simon who the starter was.

And Iwobi has started the last three friendlies because Moses Simon was not there.
Iwobi didn't play the double header against Cameroon because of injury.

He was available against Zambia, but Rohr chose to start Simon who played against Cameroon .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:49pm On May 26, 2018
Croatia Coach, Dalic: Rohr Has Improved Super Eagles, They’ll Be Our Toughest Opponents In Russia
May 26, 2018 1:51 pm

Croatia coach, Zlatko Dalic, says that the appointment of German coach Gernot Rohr has been key to the recent impressive rise of the Super Eagles.

Rohr was appointed Super Eagles coach in 2016, and he guided them to their sixth World Cup qualification after finishing atop a tough qualifying group that also had Cameroon, Algeria and Zambia for 2018 World Cup.

The Eagles’ first game in Russia is against Croatia on June 16. They will also face debutant Iceland and Argentina.

In a chat with Associated Press Television News (APTN) Dalić, 51, admits the game against the Eagles will be his side’s hardest in the group.

“The first match against Nigeria will be the key to our group. We are playing against an African team. They have a German coach that has changed the style of their game and has introduced a lot of young players in the national team who are young, hungry and ambitious and that’s their advantage. This is going to be the toughest game for us,” Zlatko Dalic stated.

On their clash against group favourites Argentina, Dalic believes it will be easy compared to the game against the Super Eagles.

“For me, the match against Argentina will be the easiest match in the group. We are against the favorites to win the World Cup.
“Any team that has Messi can make a miracle. He is the best player in the world for me. It will be a great match for the two teams that play good football and have great technical skills.

“We have nothing to lose in the fight, and we are playing against one of the best teams in the world. It is a great motive for us.”

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/croatia-coach-dalic-rohr-has-improved-super-eagles-theyll-be-our-toughest-opponents-in-russia/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:49pm On May 26, 2018
ykalhaji:

Dictionary definition of tribalist

"an advocate or practitioner of strong loyalty to one's own tribe or social group"

The noun 'tribalist' is a derogatory term.

Abi you did not see 'derogatory' from where you picked your definition.

I just saw your definition, and it clearly labels it as derogatory..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 3:49pm On May 26, 2018
Kog45:
So you expect Mikel to be subbed off in 2nd half in every match.

I think if Mikel is not available then Iwobi can do it cos am seeing Iwobi starting from his right position with Mikel as AM.
just sayn...bro.
I will hav no problem with iwobi coming in when necessary.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:49pm On May 26, 2018
Mujtahida:

I don't think so. The facts lie more in Vicmo's side but not Iwobi.
Cos throughout the WCQ it wasn't clear cut between him and Simon who the starter was.

And Iwobi has started the last three friendlies because Moses Simon was not there.

Oga, Simon is not first choice.

It is Iwobi and Moses.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 3:49pm On May 26, 2018
Martz101:

oga alot of players are way better than him, his agent is doing a mad job.

Wesbrom reported bought him without seeing him play.

watch him get another big club after not impressing in Teda and malaga.

Agent and management do the dirty business in football, players ability do help too

Who told you west brom did not watch him play?

Even if west brom did not watch him play didnt they saw his stats? Google is there for us all.

This is a guy who played 74 league games for dynamo kiev and scored 34 goals,i am sure west brom saw that stats,how can they make a player their record signing without knowing anything about him? When you are good you are good.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ykalhaji(m): 3:50pm On May 26, 2018
Mujtahida:

But do allow the matter rest. We've gone past it now.

No mind me jare... Na the naija no dey carry last in me dey worry this morning. I go fashi now.

My apologies to everyone I might have offended.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 3:50pm On May 26, 2018
ChrisKels:

Dats true.

Av u noticed this trend; prior to any match against the whites, they always go like this; "d Africans are strong and physical (rough /rugged), hence asking for d ref's protection"

Our players yield to Dat and become so soft while the whites start playing like gladiators, and d refrees towill turn a blind eye to their rough games. It pains me a lot

Africans too fall for that trap by saying 'we're a physical side'.

I'm happy this current team is not termed physical but fast.

At every opportunity our officials should make it clear that we are NOT physical but very technical
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 3:50pm On May 26, 2018
Humility017:
just sayn...bro. I will hav no problem with iwobi coming in when necessary.
Iwobi is a starter
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:50pm On May 26, 2018
EEGA:
Iwobi didn't play the double header against Cameroon because of injury.

He was available against Zambia, but Rohr chose to start Simon who played against Cameroon .
That's why I said it's not clear cut. Iwobi is even more effective coming in a sub.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:51pm On May 26, 2018
ykalhaji:

Boss we never used the word "tribalism" the word being bandied around is "tribalist".

Tribalist is a derogatory term.. Check your definition again.. It clearly states that. It is not just 'strong ties to tribe'.

Meriam Webster defines tribalist as

"an advocate of tribalism'

Exalting your tribe over others.

That is not the essence of being a human.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by opes: 3:51pm On May 26, 2018
soetanoreoluwa:

With Ezekiel bala... Think trio were in Lyn Oslo then...

I so much love tat team very enterprising just Austin didn't get his tactics right... We get bowed out at group stage... Felt so bad that day...

Golden eaglet of 2003 had similar result with costa Rica after group matches, so hard to decide which team came second from the group, fifa decided to toss coin and eaglet lost out..Eaguavon did well with the team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 3:51pm On May 26, 2018
Icon4s:

Iwobi is a starter
it gonna depend on tactics employed by the coach...remember against Zambia in uyo.
that guy when rightly used....is very lethal.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:51pm On May 26, 2018
Caniggia: Argentina Very Strong In Attack, Weak In Defence
May 26, 2018 9:42 am

Argentina great, Claudio Caniggia, has stated that the Albiceleste’s weak point going into the 2018 FIFA World Cup is in their defence line.

The two-time world champions are in Group D with Nigeria, Croatia and debutant Iceland.

Caniggia, 51, who was a member of the Argentine side that got to the final of the 1990 World Cup in Italy, said Jorge Sampaoli parades a fearsome strike force but has a poor rear guard.

“What’s in our favour is that the best attacking players can put fear into anyone,” Caniggia who scored Argentina’s two goals in their 2-1 comeback win against Nigeria in USA 1994, told FIFA.com.

“Their names (Argentina strikers)alone unsettle the opposition. The other teams don’t think: “Higuain is being criticised in Argentina”. They think: “he’s Juventus’ top goalscorer”. Our weak point is that we’re still not solid at the back, and there are still a couple of places up for grabs.”

The former Boca Junior and River Plate forward stated that Lionel Messi lacks the kind of support Diego Maradona got from his teammates during his time as captain of Argentina.

“Messi doesn’t get the same support from his teammates as Maradona did. I think that’s true.”

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/caniggia-argentina-very-strong-in-attack-weak-in-defence/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 3:52pm On May 26, 2018
Kog45:
Osaze was an established player in eagles and we all know what he can do.

Mike Emenalo and Chidi Nwanu also gatecrashed 94 team but they have good experience with eagles

But can we say the same thing about Batholomew Ogbeche,Sam Sodje,Uche Nwofor,Michael Uchebo,Shola Ameobi
in defense of the likes of Uchebo and Nwofor, it wasn't like the established players gave a good account of themselves either. After all, Emenike was in that team and he was useless.

If Rohr thinks he needs another striker, he can get the Simy fellow. I still think his role is dependent on what he does against England, I an really not concerned about him though.

(1) (2) (3) ... (3699) (3700) (3701) (3702) (3703) (3704) (3705) ... (16347) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Zonofman(m), charlesemeka85(m), Mujtahida, BankyGee(m), kellycute(m), lovewins, Emmy450(m), kentebemoney, mekabuachi, Nomyth, Goke7, elyte89, COOL10(m), lbrichman2, ddone and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.