Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:35 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3773) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11662824 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3770) (3771) (3772) (3773) (3774) (3775) (3776) ... (16150) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:07pm On May 29, 2018
Henry Onyekuru on not being eligible for a work permit:

“Anderlecht knew that I needed the 2018 FIFA World Cup to get a work permit for England. By not making me play, the chances of going to Russia were nil. So, I could not go to the Premier League.”

“Maybe that is how Anderlecht hopes to keep me for another year. A ridiculous reasoning - I can go anywhere. It is now certain that I will not stay. I will go abroad. Somewhere I get respect.” (Source: HLN)

(Source: HLN)

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 3:09pm On May 29, 2018
Icon79:
Please can somebody explain to me what's going on in Jorge Sampaoli's head? Are you guys aware that the only two friendly matches Argentina would play before the World Cup are against Haiti and Israel? Tell me what he intends to gain from those two useless matches?! And this is a team that hope to beat the likes of Brazil, Germany, France, etc. to the World Cup.

These folks are just wasting Messi's time and talent angry sad shocked

O pari

Sorry jare my Messilona fan..... I mean Barcelona fan.
But sha... Argentina no dey go anywhere for this world cup. They yaff finished. They cant even get any help with the Uefa folks in Fifa presidency.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:10pm On May 29, 2018
OMANBALA1:

That pitch they played in and video quality of the match just further highlight the shamelessness of Nigerian Football Federation. If I was the President disciplinary action must be taken. That was unacceptable in all grounds...I was enraged by the whole nonsense
That match was an unnecessary and careless exercise. On a bad pitch for that matter
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by EmmGee: 3:11pm On May 29, 2018
Icon79:
Please can somebody explain to me what's going on in Jorge Sampaoli's head? Are you guys aware that the only two friendly matches Argentina would play before the World Cup are against Haiti and Israel? Tell me what he intends to gain from those two useless matches?! And this is a team that hope to beat the likes of Brazil, Germany, France, etc. to the World Cup.

These folks are just wasting Messi's time and talent angry sad shocked

O pari
maybe he wants to play them coz it's almost certain they will win, so it could boost confidence
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:11pm On May 29, 2018
Joebie:
Victor Moses. Really, it’s not just one or two players. We need the right combinations. So far we’ve Had test games. we need to use our last two friendlies to see if our team is still in shape with all the regulars playing. Moses Simon will be missed at the WC.

We will miss S. Moses no doubt. And if you notice he combines well with Vicmo.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:11pm On May 29, 2018
kennysville:

But as much as you are trying to clamor for fairness and justice, dont you feel the right person or persons to take it up with is the Coach himself and perhaps the NFF?
Last time I checked, this is Nairaland and not Glasshouse

It's the right of every individual to seek for fairness and justice by any means possible and I am using this platform to do dat.

However, it seems you don't know the power of Nairaland. Ask President Jonathan he will tell you. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:12pm On May 29, 2018
goldfish80:

This is where the NFF's technical committee comes in. It is their job to hire a coach whose style and philosophy is consistent with the Nigerian tradition (I'm not indicting Rohr yet).
One of the reasons Arsenal hired Emery came with the caviar he will play the Arsenal way. Jose Mourinho lost his job at Madrid when he played negative football which was against the traditions of Real. He could loose his job at Manchester because of this same reason.
No doubt we are more organised defensively but attack wise we are blunt.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 3:12pm On May 29, 2018
somehow:

BTW, cant some of the DMs play CD?

If we have like 1 or 2 that can play CD if need be, then we should take fewer CBs.

Another option: Do we have CBs that can play DM?

Shehu is DM but can play RB. I would want us to have more attacking minded players than defence becaude goals win games and not defending.

The only Dm that have played CB is Agbo...he played there in laliga
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:16pm On May 29, 2018
Bright Omokaro got the nickname 10-10, by injuring an Algerian player to make both teams even. 10 a piece...

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:18pm On May 29, 2018
Rohr is not satisfied with our full backs.

Rohr Names The One Super Eagles Player That Impressed Vs DRC & Those That Flopped

Published: May 29, 2018

Rohr Names The One Super Eagles Player That Impressed Vs DRC & Those That Flopped
Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr has admitted that Crotone frontman Simeon Tochukwu Nwankwo impressed him so much in the 1-1 draw with Democratic Republic of Congo yesterday.

Without mentioning their names, the German emphasized that he's not satisfied with the performance of the fullbacks, and he might be referring to Monaco's Elderson Echiejile and Chelsea starlet Ola Aina.

''I was satisfied with the performance of Simy, center forward, because we didn't have such a profile until yet and now we found it. It's interesting,'' Rohr told reporters, including allnigeriasoccer.com, post-match.

''This game, we saw also that we have some problems with our fullbacks but we will work on it.

''We have another few days to be ready and to have the team, Victor Moses, Obi Mikel and Ighalo second of June in London, so I think the team will be better than today but it was interesting to see everybody play today. ''

Apart from their next friendly against England, the Super Eagles will face Czech Republic on June 6 before their trip to Russia for the 2018 World Cup.

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=27941
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 3:23pm On May 29, 2018
tbaba1234:

I understand Simon Moses will be given the best possible chance. Scan in Abuja and London to ascertain the seriousness of the injury.

Other players carrying knocks will also be assessed in Abuja.
As much as I desire that S. Moses makes it to Russia abeg we shouldn't force it. If he's injured or not fully fit he should be dropped. Hardluck but it happens

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 3:23pm On May 29, 2018
forgiveness:

Rohr is not satisfied with our full backs.

Published: May 29, 2018

Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr has admitted that Crotone frontman Simeon Tochukwu Nwankwo impressed him so much in the 1-1 draw with Democratic Republic of Congo yesterday.

Without mentioning their names, the German emphasized that he's not satisfied with the performance of the fullbacks, and he might be referring to Monaco's Elderson Echiejile and Chelsea starlet Ola Aina.

''I was satisfied with the performance of Simy, center forward, because we didn't have such a profile until yet and now we found it. It's interesting,'' Rohr told reporters, including allnigeriasoccer.com, post-match.

''This game, we saw also that we have some problems with our fullbacks but we will work on it.

''We have another few days to be ready and to have the team, Victor Moses, Obi Mikel and Ighalo second of June in London, so I think the team will be better than today but it was interesting to see everybody play today. ''

Apart from their next friendly against England, the Super Eagles will face Czech Republic on June 6 before their trip to Russia for the 2018 World Cup.

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=27941
not suprised about his views on simeon nwankwo..it was obvious to all
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oasis007(m): 3:24pm On May 29, 2018
Joebie:
I thought they have already been dropped. Abi na rumor?

solonnachi:

So where is all this news coming from? If Lokosa has being dropped, then its unfortunate.

It's kinda a Grapevine, but not official yet.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 3:29pm On May 29, 2018
lets try dis squad against england..ezenwa out for uzoho, echiejile out for aina, simon out for etebo

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:35pm On May 29, 2018
Croatia Striker Kramaric: We Must Win First World Cup Game Vs Super Eagles

May 29, 2018 2:25 pm

By David Meshioye:

Croatia striker Andrej Kramaric says picking three points against the Super Eagles is key to his country’s chances of making progress in Group D of the Russia 2018 FIFA World Cup.

Got something to say? The let your voice be heard! Back Pass *Sport related topics only*
In a chat with sportnet.rtl.hr, the Hoffenheim striker admitted that playing against Nigeria will be a stroll in a park, adding that he expects a tough and cagey game against the former African champions.

“The first match against Nigeria is the focus of attention, and three points from that match would mean a lot,” former Leicester City striker Kramaric said.

“We are now putting finishing touches to our first game against Nigeria, which is a very good team and it will certainly be a very difficult and interesting game. The first game is the most important thing, because with it we will have the chance of qualifying from the group.

“More and more, we all had a great season behind us, we are all eager, motivated and know what we want. The first goal is to qualify from the group, and after that everything is possible,.

“We all know that best teams do not always win, that is why we need a little luck. Everything about our team was great before qualification, and we hope that it will remain so when the World Cup begins.”

Argentina and Iceland are the other teams in the group.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/croatia-striker-kramaric-we-must-win-first-world-cup-game-vs-super-eagles/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 3:37pm On May 29, 2018
somehow:
My preferred 23

Ezenwa - To me, he's the most confident of the 3 but with arial issues
Uzoho - For being loved by Rohr
Akpeyi - Experienced and good but shaky due to psychological issues.

Troosk
Balogun
Shehu
Echiejile
Ebuehi
Idowu
Omeruo
Eze - Rohr loves tall lads and this guy can be an ariel threat during setpieces if groomed well.

Mikel
Onazi
Ndidi
Ogu
Etebo
Obi

Moses
Ighalo
Musa
Iheanacho
Simy
Iwobi

Lakosa should stand by incase something happens before kickoff.
Aina should also standby incase (Rb or Lb)
Agu also can replace obi incase.
Awaziem to stand by for Ezeh.. (looks unfit)
Ajiboye not going anywhere, he was only picked to satisfy some poeple.

Eze is an aerial threat to who?

Eze cannot be ahead of Awaziem

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 3:39pm On May 29, 2018
Mujtahida:

We will miss S. Moses no doubt. And if you notice he combines well with Vicmo.

you can imagine having 2 moses left and right ... i pray Musa will b able to deliver when it matters most . but sincerely i still cant trust Vicotr Moses , he was a shadow of himself in the last world cup. until he proves me otherwise . if we must win Matches , we should be able to switch into different style of play .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jieta: 3:48pm On May 29, 2018
BREAKING: Rohr Drops Akpeyi, Moses Simon, 3
Others

Gernot Rohr, Super Eagles Technical Adviser, on
Tuesday wielded the big axe as he dropped
Goalkeeper Daniels Akpeyi, injured Moses Simon,
Chidozie Awaziem, Kano Pillars Junior Lokosa and
Stephen Eze.
He will take recuperating Goalkeeper Carl Ikeme
to Russia as the unregistered 24th player.
25 players will leave for London on Wednesday
with two player remaining to be dropped. He will
name his 23-man list on June 4, two days after
England friendly. https://independent.ng/breaking-rohr-drops-akpeyi-moses-simon-3-others/amp/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:49pm On May 29, 2018
Na true?

7 Takeaways From Super Eagles – DR CONGO Clash

May 29, 2018 11:31 AM

Completesportsnigeria.com’s ADEBOYE AMOSU
presents seven major talking points from Nigerian Super Eagles versus Democratic Republic of Congo friendly clash at the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium in Port Harcourt on Monday, May 28 2018.

1. Uzoho Proved He Is Ready For The Big Task

Got something to say? The let your voice be heard! Back Pass *Sport related topics only*
Since his debut appearance for the Super Eagles in a friendly game against Argentina last November,( as half time substitute for Daniel Akpeyi), Francis Uzoho has mannned the goal for the three-time African champions against Poland, Serbia and Democratic Republic of Congo.
Though, there were divided opinions on his performance in those games, against the Congolese, he looked solid and ready for the number one job in Russia.

The Deportivo La Coruna of Spain goalie made three key saves and commanded his area well unlike in the games against Poland and Serbia.

2. No Mikel Obi, No Super Eagles?

Super Eagles inspirational captain, John Mikel Obi, didn’t feature in the team’s previous two games going into the game against Democratic Republic of Congo. His absence was badly felt in those games as the team lacked a proper leader with no proper coordination in their play.

In his absence again against the Congolese, the trio of Ogenyi Onazi, Joel Obi and Kelechi Iheanacho failed to stamp their authority in the game and the opponent clearly dominate the midfield.

Mikel’s presence and form will undoubtedly play a key role on how far the team will go in Russia.

3. ‘Oyinbo Wall’ Looked Shaky Again

The once reliable ‘Oyinbo wall’ combination of William Troost-Ekong and Leon Balogun was once again exposed by the Congolese who made them work harder than expected in the game.

With the duo expected to face stronger opponents in Russia, the fans of the Super Eagles can expect more nervy moments at the World Cup.

4. Simy Nwankwo Showed Promise On His Debut

Though he was isolated up front for most of the game, and lacked quality service from the midfielders, lanky forward, Simy Nwankwo, showed that he has a future in the Super Eagles with his impressive performance.

He was unlucky not to be on the score sheet. His well struck shot hit the post in the first half and he also had a well placed header after the break saved by the Congolese goalkeeper.

5. Poor Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium Turf Affected Super Eagles’ Performance

It is difficult to fathom why the Nigeria Football Federation settled for the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium as venue for this game as against the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium which hosted the team’s home matches in the qualifiers for the World Cup.
The pitch was in bad shape and didn’t give the players the chance to express themselves.

It also exposed the players to the danger of copping injuries which could as well affect their chances of playing at the World Cup. No wonder some of the players preferred to play safe in the game.

6. Echiejile Looked Like a Spent Force

Super Eagles left-back Elderson Echiejile spent 45 minutes on the pitch and hardly impressed as he was pinned back by the Congolese forwards.
Ola Aina looked more lively after replacing him and it is hard to see the latter earning a berth in Russia on the basis of this performance.

7. Ebuehi Not In Abdullahi’s Class In The Right-Back

The Benfica new signing is one of the highly rated defenders in the team, but on the basis of his showing against Dr Congo, didn’t prove he is good enough to pick a shirt ahead of the Bursaspor defender Shehu Abdullahi in the right-back position. Ebuehi lacked the calmness and overlapping ability of Abdullahi

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/7-takeaways-from-super-eagles-dr-congo-clash/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 3:55pm On May 29, 2018
jieta:
Others

Stephen Eze.
England friendly. https://independent.ng/breaking-rohr-drops-akpeyi-moses-simon-3-others/amp/

He can't drop Awaziem and Eze at the same time.

Agbo is one lucky basstard...lol. I forgot he is still there and can play CB

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:56pm On May 29, 2018
Akpeyi may be shock exclusion from World Cup, Rohr drops stars in Abuja

May 29, 2018, 7:53 am

Daniel Akpeyi
South Africa-based goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi may be a shock omission from the World Cup as officials informed that coach Gernot Rohr will announce the players he will drop from his 30-man provisional squad.

Plateau United goalkeeper Dele Ajiboye has shone in training and there are now strong indications, he will be considered ahead of Akpeyi, who at a time was the country’s No.2.

The former Warri Wolves goalkeeper was also a cover for Emmanuel Daniel at the 2016 Rio Olympics where Nigeria won bronze.

Rohr will announce the players who will not fly out with the squad to England.

NPFL leading scorer Junior Lokosa had a decent debut against DR Congo, but he will be one of the players to be dropped.

Other players likely to get the chop are Ola Aina, Uche Agbo, Stephen Eze and Chidozie Awaziem.

http://scorenigeria.com.ng/2018/05/29/akpeyi-may-be-shock-exclusion-from-world-cup-rohr-drops-stars-in-abuja/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:56pm On May 29, 2018
On Uzoho

“It’s an indication (he could be No 1),” Rohr admitted.

“He hasn’t played too much with us as he came after the World Cup qualifiers

“We wanted to see the young goalkeeper play for the first time in Nigeria

“I think he did well, he did what he had to do.”
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 3:56pm On May 29, 2018
Akpeyi and awaziem have been dropped? If true big decision from rohr
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 3:57pm On May 29, 2018
kennysville:
Regardless of what happens at the world cup....

We know that:

1. Gernot Rohr is a coach that upholds loyalty as his motto
2. The 2018 world cup list is based firstly on Loyalty and then performance.
3. Post world cup is gonna be interesting because there wont be hiding place for the gaffer. He is currently spoiled for choice now
4. Future is bright if we are able to get a right blend of players without sentiments attached

Loving the bolded statement
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:58pm On May 29, 2018
On Fullbacks

“We have some problems with our fullbacks, but we will work on this. We have a few days to be ready,”

“We five fullbacks, we can only take four (to World Cup),”

Gernot Rohr
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:58pm On May 29, 2018
isan:
Akpeyi and awaziem have been dropped? If true big decision from rohr

Not true.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oloriooko(m): 4:01pm On May 29, 2018
So much talks about so many things but I think:

1. If Rohr is following this thread, the dude would have resigned by now cuz too many conflicting opinions and I hope NFF is not like this thread
2. We should see beyond the WC, so what happens if we exit at first round or we get to the finals? Nff should retain Rohr (if he's interested) to build a youthful well blended team and raise a formidable replacement from those working with him

Up until now, Rohr has shown he's man on a mission though not there yet but he's heading in the right direction.
I wish our darling SE the best at the WC

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:02pm On May 29, 2018
forgiveness:

How many good striker did Rohr give chance that he's claiming we don't have such striker?
Which striker do you have in mind that's?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 4:04pm On May 29, 2018
jieta:
Others

Stephen Eze.
all these news agencies are causing confusion jare. This one will say Ajiboye another one will come out with im own list and put Akpeyi.

Make dem shut their mouth up, if dem no get concrete news.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:08pm On May 29, 2018
Ndidi:

'I will say I am good and fine. I am looking forward to the World Cup. We have so many friendly games, we have been preparing so hard not just now, we've been preparing for a long time,''

''We just look forward to it and then go all the way for it, every game is very important.''

When asked if he will be fit for Nigeria's World Cup opener against Croatia on June 16, Ndidi replied : '' Yes, by God's grace''.

''All I have to say is for them to keep supporting the Super Eagles and then pray for the team, just sit down, relax and enjoy the football.''

Source: ANS
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:10pm On May 29, 2018
Mujtahida:

As much as I desire that S. Moses makes it to Russia abeg we shouldn't force it. If he's injured or not fully fit he should be dropped. Hardluck but it happens

News reports say, he is going to London with the team, he will be dropped at the last possible moment if scans are negative.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 4:14pm On May 29, 2018
forgiveness:
Na true?

7 Takeaways From Super Eagles – DR CONGO Clash

May 29, 2018 11:31 AM

Completesportsnigeria.com’s ADEBOYE AMOSU
presents seven major talking points from Nigerian Super Eagles versus Democratic Republic of Congo friendly clash at the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium in Port Harcourt on Monday, May 28 2018.

1. Uzoho Proved He Is Ready For The Big Task

Since his debut appearance for the Super Eagles in a friendly game against Argentina last November,( as half time substitute for Daniel Akpeyi), Francis Uzoho has mannned the goal for the three-time African champions against Poland, Serbia and Democratic Republic of Congo.
Though, there were divided opinions on his performance in those games, against the Congolese, he looked solid and ready for the number one job in Russia.

The Deportivo La Coruna of Spain goalie made three key saves and commanded his area well unlike in the games against Poland and Serbia.

2. No Mikel Obi, No Super Eagles?

Super Eagles inspirational captain, John Mikel Obi, didn’t feature in the team’s previous two games going into the game against Democratic Republic of Congo. His absence was badly felt in those games as the team lacked a proper leader with no proper coordination in their play.

In his absence again against the Congolese, the trio of Ogenyi Onazi, Joel Obi and Kelechi Iheanacho failed to stamp their authority in the game and the opponent clearly dominate the midfield.

Mikel’s presence and form will undoubtedly play a key role on how far the team will go in Russia.

3. ‘Oyinbo Wall’ Looked Shaky Again

The once reliable ‘Oyinbo wall’ combination of William Troost-Ekong and Leon Balogun was once again exposed by the Congolese who made them work harder than expected in the game.

With the duo expected to face stronger opponents in Russia, the fans of the Super Eagles can expect more nervy moments at the World Cup.

4. Simy Nwankwo Showed Promise On His Debut

Though he was isolated up front for most of the game, and lacked quality service from the midfielders, lanky forward, Simy Nwankwo, showed that he has a future in the Super Eagles with his impressive performance.

He was unlucky not to be on the score sheet. His well struck shot hit the post in the first half and he also had a well placed header after the break saved by the Congolese goalkeeper.

5. Poor Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium Turf Affected Super Eagles’ Performance

It is difficult to fathom why the Nigeria Football Federation settled for the Adokiye Amiesimaka Stadium as venue for this game as against the Godswill Akpabio International Stadium which hosted the team’s home matches in the qualifiers for the World Cup.
The pitch was in bad shape and didn’t give the players the chance to express themselves.

It also exposed the players to the danger of copping injuries which could as well affect their chances of playing at the World Cup. No wonder some of the players preferred to play safe in the game.

6. Echiejile Looked Like a Spent Force

Super Eagles left-back Elderson Echiejile spent 45 minutes on the pitch and hardly impressed as he was pinned back by the Congolese forwards.
Ola Aina looked more lively after replacing him and it is hard to see the latter earning a berth in Russia on the basis of this performance.

7. Ebuehi Not In Abdullahi’s Class In The Right-Back

The Benfica new signing is one of the highly rated defenders in the team, but on the basis of his showing against Dr Congo, didn’t prove he is good enough to pick a shirt ahead of the Bursaspor defender Shehu Abdullahi in the right-back position. Ebuehi lacked the calmness and overlapping ability of Abdullahi

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/7-takeaways-from-super-eagles-dr-congo-clash/
I was enjoying this guy's analysis not untill I got to the bolded.

The Calmness and Overlapping ability of Ebuehi is incomparable. That guy is highly calculative. He times is runs and movements perfectly coupled with great positioning which makes his recovery amazing.

How I wish we can have his stat for yesterday's game. Dude didn't put a foot wrong aside the moment he wanted to dribble and gave away possession.

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (3770) (3771) (3772) (3773) (3774) (3775) (3776) ... (16150) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 5 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.