Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,385 members, 7,864,753 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 05:48 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3922) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11955409 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3919) (3920) (3921) (3922) (3923) (3924) (3925) ... (16371) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:37pm On Jun 05, 2018
4-2-3-1 Formation

..............................................Uzoho..................

..Ebuehi.........................Troost............Balogun...............Idowu......

.....................................Ndidi......................Mikel...............

...............Ahmed......................Iwobi.............................Moses

..............................................Ighalo.............

3-5-2 Formation

..............................................Uzoho..............

................Troost............Balogun.........Omeruo

,,,,,Ebuehi................Ndidi.............Onazi.............. Idowu

........................................Mikel..................

.................Victor..............................Ighalo............

But coach choice

.................................Uzoho..............

...Shehu............Troost .................Balogun..............Echiejile

......................Ndidi.............Onazi...........

Victor.......................Mikel.......................Iwobi

...............................ighalo.........

I don't have idea of his preferred player in 3-5-2 formation.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 3:38pm On Jun 05, 2018
safarigirl:
abeg, which more goals in the qualifiers? It was 3 goals, not even 5, 3. Kelechi, Iwobi and Mikel had 2 each. Iwobi has racked up 3 goals in 4 games for us now, he is our most in form forward, Musa is our best performing forward in the World Cup.

So, tell me, what is so special about Moses aside his dribbling and running like a headless chicken that others cannot do?

"most inform forward"...Girl, he doesn't even play as a forward in his club.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 3:40pm On Jun 05, 2018
Icon79:
My brother, I wasn't happy with his performance against Serbia and England. And I was quite mad at him because he doesn't do that when he plays for Chelsea these days so we can't let him get away with that at the national team. No one should be bigger than the team.

O pari

Of course na.... from stoke to liverpool to West ham abi na which club sef on loan.... E come be regular inside chelsea, u think say im go risk loan move again? Na im career be that! But as per naija now, we no get place where we wan loan am go? Not even bench.... abi no be so people dey talk here?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 3:42pm On Jun 05, 2018
Icon79:
Omo, read again, there's no personal insult in my response. It's not my style to insult anybody but I just want you guys to stop distracting us from have fruitful discussions here. The team list is set, if you don't like it deal with it and live with it. None of you guys were in the training camp to see how each player did. We don't need armchair experts.

O pari

I know my opinion doesn't count and I am not about to apply for Super Eagles job anytime soon but to tell me to "shut my trap" is out of the line. It is disrespectful and tell more about your public etiquette. Your overall tone is very reads mannerless. Check yourself!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eligreat247: 3:43pm On Jun 05, 2018
tbaba1234:
My line-up for Czech

Uzoho
Ebuehi
Idowu
Balogun
Ekong
Omeruo
Etebo
Ndidi
Mikel
Iwobi
Victor Moses

Not bad at all... potentially the best for now.
My issue is Ndidi starting as he's just returning from injury. I hope he won't be match rusty? Otherwise John Ogu should start and be subbed by Ndidi. What do you think?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 3:44pm On Jun 05, 2018
OMANBALA1:

"most inform forward"...Girl, he doesn't even play as a forward in his club.
funny how you've been making Dane argument for Victor Moses, when dude is more of a defender for his club.

Based on recent form, Alex Iwobi is better than Moses for us. If we want to use recent club exploits, Simy would top Moses too.

You have not told me what oga Moses is doing aside fancy dribbles and gragra football, he has successfully thwarted just as much chances as his dribbles have supposedly created if not more

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:44pm On Jun 05, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

grin grin

For the love of God, Onazi should have done his job than getting carried away in doing the job of others. He has caused us this problem of lack of organization because of as you put it, unnecessary running.

Who are the others? I thought you said every body else should stand and watch
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by opes: 3:47pm On Jun 05, 2018
forgiveness:
4-2-3-1 Formation

..............................................Uzoho..................

..Ebuehi.........................Troost............Balogun...............Idowu......

.....................................Ndidi......................Mikel...............

...............Ahmed......................Iwobi.............................Moses

..............................................Ighalo.............

3-5-2 Formation

..............................................Uzoho..............

................Troost............Balogun.........Omeruo

,,,,,Ebuehi................Ndidi.............Onazi.............. Idowu

........................................Mikel..................

.................Victor..............................Ighalo............

on the second formation, i will prefer iwobi to ighalo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:48pm On Jun 05, 2018
Icon79:
tbaba, did you really post this or did someone stole your handle? You have 3 good strikers in the team and you deliberately decide to play without any striker at all?

Anyway, I will expect either Simy Nwankwo or Iheanacho to start against Czech.

O pari

If i start Iheanacho, i will drop Victor Moses. Moses needs to play to get back in top shape

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 3:48pm On Jun 05, 2018
mazimee:

Wow, Playing for Nigeria is the best career decision Alex Iwobi has made so far in his young career. I love his personality and commitment to the team.

He will be a huge inspiration to most fb in the future.

His Uncle is JJay Okocha he got into the SE before he had played one senior professional game for Arsenal.

However, Sone Aluko, Hope Akpan, with outstanding performances for the SE have been dropped, set aside and forgotten.

Add to that Aina set aside for a player that has failed to meet the standard at low club level..

THATS GREAT INSPIRATION for future Nigerian origin players.

Nigerian origin players know they face discrimination from thier white peers but the discrimination from your own people is much MORE PAINFUL.

NUFF said

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 3:51pm On Jun 05, 2018
safarigirl:
funny how you've been making Dane argument for Victor Moses, when dude is more of a defender for his club.

Based on recent form, Alex Iwobi is better than Moses for us. If we want to use recent club exploits, Simy would top Moses too.

You have not told me what oga Moses is doing aside fancy dribbles and gragra football, he has successfully thwarted just as much chances as his dribbles have supposedly created if not more

LMAO... I don't think you are following my drift on VicMo. I think we are definitely saying the same thing. There has been a misunderstanding
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:51pm On Jun 05, 2018
Eligreat247:

Not bad at all... potentially the best for now.
My issue is Ndidi starting as he's just returning from injury. I hope he won't be match rusty? Otherwise John Ogu should start and be subbed by Ndidi. What do you think?

Ndidi will not play 90 minutes for sure.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Afobear: 3:55pm On Jun 05, 2018
ChrisKels:

Lol I love your last line.

About being coded staunch men, thats very through because footballers make it from the streets while those from well to do homes are all about school, hence that street "ruggedity" dwells in them.

A player like Obafemi Martins is a staunch African man and he believes in the power of 7. ✊

Aye axeman ...clear road ooo

Wakanda forever✊✊
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kennysville(m): 3:57pm On Jun 05, 2018
komekn:

His Uncle is JJay Okocha he got into the SE before he had played one senior professional game for Arsenal.

However, Sone Aluko, Hope Akpan, with outstanding performances for the SE have been dropped, set aside and forgotten.

Add to that Aina set aside for a player that has failed to meet the standard at low club level..

Nigerian origin players know they face discrimination from thier white peers but the discrimination from your own people is much MORE PAINFUL.

NUFF said

Emotive bias.......Thats all

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:57pm On Jun 05, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
That is simple Marvellous Basco. It is because WE WON. wink Gerrit?

We didn't win in Cameroon but yet he received plaudits none the less.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 3:57pm On Jun 05, 2018
OK, I sincerely do apologize if you think I was out of line. I didn't mean to get personal but I was just getting exasperated with you guys nitpicking decision and trying to find something, no matter how inconsequential, to criticize. Enough already! It's a few days to the World Cup, let band around the team and discuss more positive things. Mikel Agu has been given a chance but he hasn't been extraordinary to make his non-selection such a big scandal.

To me, the only player that has a cause to complain is Agbo, who was invited over and over and over again but never given a chance to play at all. Other than that, Gernot Rohr has selected the best team at his disposal. But even if you disagree, it's time to move on. That case is closed. Mikel Agu's selection or non-selection was never gonna make us win the world cup neither would it make us lose it.

O pari

OMANBALA1:

I know my opinion doesn't count and I am not about to apply for Super Eagles job anytime soon but to tell me to "shut my trap" is out of the line. It is disrespectful and tell more about your public etiquette. Your overall tone is very reads mannerless. Check yourself!!

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:00pm On Jun 05, 2018
Bros, I was actually quite surprised that he started against England after arriving the camp less than 48 hours before the game. I think he should've started on the bench, but Rohr just wanted to see what his best team looks like.... I guess.

O pari

tbaba1234:

If i start Iheanacho, i will drop Victor Moses. Moses needs to play to get back in top shape

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:00pm On Jun 05, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

That is what I have been crying for years. People praise Onazi for his reckless and unnecessary play. Interested in his running up and down. However, against Technical sides that have mastered the art of exploiting gaps, it is catastrophic to the team.

If we don't want him running up and down everyone must run. How can you be in support of a player not running. Even Pep would not agree with you on that one.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:01pm On Jun 05, 2018
opes:

on the second formation, i will prefer iwobi to ighalo

I will rather bring in Iwobi as a substitute. Either to replace Mikel in the AMF position and move Mikel deep back.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:02pm On Jun 05, 2018
Martz101:

baba free this people

Lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by OMANBALA1: 4:06pm On Jun 05, 2018
Icon79:
OK, I sincerely do apologize if you think I was out of line. I didn't mean to get personal but I was just getting exasperated with you guys nitpicking decision and trying to find something, no matter how inconsequential, to criticize. Enough already! It's a few days to the World Cup, let band around the team and discuss more positive things. Mikel Agu has been given a chance but he hasn't extraordinary to make his non-selection such a big scandal.

To me, the only player that has a cause to complain is Agbo, who was invited over and over and over again but never given a chance to play at all. Other than that, Gernot Rohr made selected the best team at his disposal. But even if you disagree, it's time to move on. That case is closed. Mikel Agu's selection or non-selection was never gonna make us win the world cup neither would it make us lose it.

O pari

Better.

Of course, everybody has moved on because we can't change what has happened but you can't tell people not to talk about their displeasure. Its not autocracy.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:06pm On Jun 05, 2018
KPOM!

Like I had said in the past, VicMo needs to have a good world cup as much as anybody because he doesn't know who'd gonna be Chelsea's coach next season. And if he doesn't have a good world cup, he might be looking at another loan move because the next Chelsea coach is likely to revert back to 4-3-3 and Moses might become surplus to requirement again, unless he performs in Russia.

O pari

kennysville:

Of course na.... from stoke to liverpool to West ham abi na which club sef on loan.... E come be regular inside chelsea, u think say im go risk loan move again? Na im career be that! But as per naija now, we no get place where we wan loan am go? Not even bench.... abi no be so people dey talk here?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:10pm On Jun 05, 2018
I agree. Thinking about it, I think I picked the wrong target. The most annoying character on that issue is "forgiveness". I mean, the dude is always ranting about one thing or the other: from Obafemi Martins to Kayode, from Kayode to Mikel Agu. Quite annoying!

Anyways, nothing spoil. I will buy you a drink after we win our first game against Croatia.

O pari

OMANBALA1:

Better.

Of course, everybody has moved on because we can't change what has happened but you can't tell people not to talk about their displeasure. Its not autocracy.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:14pm On Jun 05, 2018
komekn:

NUFF said

Maybe they think we have to help a struggling brother rather than one rich kid in Obudo oyinbo. grin

Anyway, I thought it would have been very good to win against England, so we can show ourselves the best option for the English breed boys but we failed.

Though, he would be laughed at by the other boys after he was dumped but I still hope we have a good outing in the mundial to increase our stock for both the Germany and English breeds player.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:17pm On Jun 05, 2018
Icon79:
Omo, read again, there's no personal insult in my response. It's not my style to insult anybody but I just want you guys to stop distracting us from have fruitful discussions here. The team list is set, if you don't like it deal with it and live with it. None of you guys were in the training camp to see how each player did. We don't need armchair experts.

O pari

I will say it again.

Training camp is indicative not conclusive.

You can not be a mouse in your club and league and all of a sudden become a lion in the SE.

As it stands we no longer have World class players good and even very good but World class No. Possibly Ndidi may get there but for now he is a top class player.

So in comparison it's possible that a player who is average may seem excellent in the SE. That not withstanding there is no amount of training camp exposure that will make Echiejile fast and better that Aina experience or no experience.

As it stands we may be carrying some passengers to Russia. Echiejile, Joel and a non performing Onazi.

You go to the World cup with the the best players you can get, no loyalty over quality.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 4:21pm On Jun 05, 2018
Garba Lawal, Member of NFF technical Committee:

“I got to know about the list on the social media like every other Nigerian. And I was surprised that the technical committee was not told about the list before it was made public.

“It seems we don’t know what we are doing. Rohr is the one that can answer Nigerians why members like Fanny Amun, Victor Ikpeba, Mutiu Adepoju were not consulted.

“At this moment, whether we say yes to Rohr’s list or not, there is nothing we can do again since the final squad has be named,”

“I am particularly sad that a player like Uche Agbo, who played week in, week out for his club, Standard Liege of Belgium was not given a chance to prove his worth.

“This guy is a utility player, who as a defensive midfielder, can also operate as a defender in the middle and at both wings. Yet such talent was dropped without a look in. I still believe there are qualities in the team that can make us proud in Russia,”

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 4:22pm On Jun 05, 2018
It is the same thing naa... We didn't lose in Cameroun either.

I think one thing I notice is this. When the Super Eagles win or get a good draw, it is normal to see us analyse without mentioning some flaws noticed in our players' display. This is especially when we win big. Lol

BascoVanVeli:
We didn't win in Cameroon but yet he received plaudits none the less.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:22pm On Jun 05, 2018
safarigirl:
I bet some people also thought Germany was funny for dropping Sane. Best forward that forgets he is in a team sport, what is the point?

All the run he was running against England, what was the point?

Some of you are worse than Rohr, even when your best forward fails to work for the good of the team, you throw him on the bench and let him think of his faults. The team is bigger than one individual.

I find the idea that Moses is one savior for this team as very ridiculous, but you can all keep worshipping your Moses, until his selfishness costs you a game
At your first paragraph, would Nigeria afford to drop Moses prior to a WC?

You should know that Moses is much important to Nigeria than Sane us to Germany. An accomplished and thoroughly sorted out team brimming with talent.

You all should cease mistaking confidence and guile for selfishness.
And instinct squeezes out goals from stubborn defenses.

Though I'm not in any way insinuating that he's never guilty of being selfish but its really over exaggerated and mistaken.

No team that wouldn't want such player in their fold I'm sure its certain.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 4:24pm On Jun 05, 2018
OMANBALA1:

Please, Agu didn't have a bad game against Zambia. He had a shaky start that lasted for few minutes and after that it was smooth sailing. Agu is a fine player and you will see more if him.

I'm not saying his bad, he didn't have a good game, he was dropped against Algeria and Argentina.

go back and watch his game against Cameroon and tgen zambia
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:26pm On Jun 05, 2018
gamaliel9:
Ogu brings a calm aura into this team....he looms over the grasses.....his interceptions are top notch.....his passes short and long....he can play in the defence,though a midfielder...with his long legs,he dispossesses the ball from opponents easily...he takes long range shots-the only one who scores from it i this team- who watched Morocco vs Slovakia,a certain Ziyech from morocco kept firing from afar and kept hitting target ...Ndidi use to do that at Gent

The following should learn from Ogu on hitting long range shots
Iheanacho
Ighalo
VicMo

One question ❓ seeing he is playing in the lowly Isreali league after failing in the lower European leagues.

How many long range shots has he scored in his entire career and how many this season in Isreal

Then compare that statistic to the people you are asking him to teach.

I will like this to a secondary school student trying to teach mathematics a Professor of Mathematics.

Is that not elementary madness.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 4:27pm On Jun 05, 2018
What has Agu done that they haven’t since they have all been invited? You want to use verifiable stats or unverifiable points? Agu better than Etebo? Etebo has two very good games under his belt we can’t forget too easily (Against Algeria in Uyo and against England just recently). What stand out performance has Agu had since his call up? Agu and Joel Obi are in the same boat. Rohr chose the latter. I don’t care either way cuz none is significantly better than the other. Club stats is past now since that’s what earned them their call up in the first place.

As for Onazi, Rohr as chosen to keep faith with him. Didn’t Agu get knocks on his debut under Rohr? Or is it the Congo DR performance? If Agu has a strong case because of that game alone, Lokosa has as well.

OMANBALA1:
Joebie and his use of "significantly" to win argument..lol. Its like a clause..smh. "Agu is not significantly better than any of the DM"...Well, hear it from me Agu is better than Onazi and in CM and DM and "significantly" so.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 4:28pm On Jun 05, 2018
charlesemeka85:
9ja plastic fans i hail una, john ogu is now everyone's darling just because he has not been unfortunate in his few outings for the current eagles setup. the greatest mistake rohr will make is starting ogu and mikel the same time because both are very slow, ogu will perform better when the team is in need of an extra body in midfield or defense when trying to protect a lead. with onazi and joel's shambolic showing against england, our best midfield trio good enough to face the crots are etebo,ndidi and mikel

No Shakin Agreed

(1) (2) (3) ... (3919) (3920) (3921) (3922) (3923) (3924) (3925) ... (16371) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Kog45(m), ouzo1(m), Philosopher1979 and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.