Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,462 members, 7,830,310 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:33 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (3969) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11754901 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (3966) (3967) (3968) (3969) (3970) (3971) (3972) ... (16183) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JoebieII: 2:40pm On Jun 07, 2018
We just need to add Messi to the equation and prevent them from owning the first half.. gat it?

chrisooblog:

yes we are a big but sometimes you just have to be realistic that in terms of outstanding talents we are not there yet. it's only iceland you can reasonably say you expect us to beat even then they are no pushovers. croatia and argentina have higher rated players than us so it will be a big achievement getting past either of the two teams.

i'm not saying we should go with a defeatist mind set but just appreciate the huge task at hand
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 2:47pm On Jun 07, 2018
wise words football will continue to be played whether or not we do well in russia. if you always use recent circumstances to judge how well your team will be in the future then you will never enjoy the game.

i will back this team regardless of the outcome of the world cup. we do reasonably well i will celebrate and be happy we don't do well i will back them and continue to criticize constructively till they get it right

Icon4s:

Firstly, Look, there is no group or team that doesn't face challenges especially football teams. Not all get out to the public domain. You cannot as an outsider know exactly about all the challenges a team faces or faced. Get that clear.

And on players going against the coach's instructions, it is a common occurrence. They are not robots. They are the ones on the field of play and their footballing instincts sometimes tell them what to do and it is not all only about what instructions the coach has passed down. Sometimes the coach allows the players that little bit of freedom to use their footballing(especially for professionals) instinct at certain situations. I don't know the level to which you played football. But I am telling you based on my knowledge of football both as a player and as a coach.

And please this course you have chosen will not make you enjoy the WC. You have put your self in a position whereby if Nigeria should beat Croatia you you will not know how to face peeps here.

Calm down bro. Just believe. There is no harm in it. Even if we lose will that take food away from your table? You have nothing to lose if you believe and the team fails.

We are fans need to stand together for the team now.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JoebieII: 2:50pm On Jun 07, 2018
Super Eagles Media Officer Toyin Ibitoye has also revealed why the team played with so many formations in their pre-World Cup friendlies.
''We didn't play our best, that was obvious for everyone to see. Friendly games are, as the coach will also say, like a scientist in the lab, try a few things and see what other options you can have,'' Toyin Ibitoye told Channels Television.

''That's how we have to take this game, the boys are not happy they didn't win because a victory would have given us some boost going into the World Cup but we see beyond the result. ''

Ibitoye added : ''We are trying a few things and coach Gernot Rohr told the press at the post-match press conference that in our group Iceland, Croatia and Argentina are teams that play different patterns, different formation and what he wants want to do is to try to make his team as flexible as possible so that they can match-up with the demands of having to change from one style to the other.

''What he wants to see is how we can adapt and play many styles during the World Cup. We have the next days to put ourselves in good shape, mentally, physically and boost our own morale and go into the World Cup. ''

It's a good thing to be dynamic, but we still need to be masters at something.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:01pm On Jun 07, 2018
i had already commented in a similar vein before i saw this your gem of a post wise words again egbon

Icon4s:

Ow of course we have definitely known more about this team and we have learnt a lot.

And I find it even more perplexing that you can completely write off a team based merely on friendly matches. And even more perplexing that you will always seize every opportunity to talk down a national team you claim to support.

I have been long enough in this game to know the extent to which outcome of friendlies can affect the performance of a team when the major tournaments starts.

Even just recently Siasia's U23 team lost 6-1 to Denmark in a friendly game just before the kickoff of the Olympics. But when both teams met again but this time at the Olympics what was the scoreline? 2-0 for Nigeria.

See, I am not afraid of failure. Even if the team goes to Russia and loses all 3 matches will heaven fall?
I cannot just go into a major tournament like the FIFA WC with the mindset that we will crash out at the group stage.

Finally, always having a defeatist mindset will do one more harm than good. It pays to always remain positive even when all odds are against you. That alone can spur you on to success in life. Food for thought.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 3:14pm On Jun 07, 2018
The rumoured stand off between captain of the Super Eagles John Obi Mikel and his deputy Ogenyi Onazi has been explained to Owngoalnigeria.com by a player of the team.

In fighting between the players and sometimes administrators have always played a very bad role in Nigeria’s dismal performance in major tournaments. Particularly the 2014 World Cup where according to present captain Mikel, players were up against each other.

The present squad has been viewed by many as one of the most tightly knitted in the history of Nigeria but rumours of a rift between two senior players of the team surfaced this morning.

Speaking to Owngoalnigeria.com shortly after this morning training, same time news about a rift between captain Mikel and Onazi broke out, the player who spoke on the condition of anonymity explained the issue between the duo.

” First of all there’s no truth in the story. Mikel doesn’t have any issue with Onazi. How is that even possible? “, he asked in a surprise way during the discussion on the rumours of a rift between the duo.

” Mikel is our leader both on and off the pitch. If at all anything happened between them it was the usual match tension. Nothing more. Talking about them not been on speaking terms, Mikel hardly talks.

” Skippo ( Mikel) is very quiet and reserved, so you can’t say he has any rift with someone base on that. Onazi is outspoken but even at that, he can’t speak rudely to the captain. People are trying to whip up division where there’s none”, he concluded.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 3:19pm On Jun 07, 2018
EEGA:
This is the second time Ighalo is firing a weak shot on goal, the first was against Serbia.

Am not comfortable with Ighalo as our no.9.

I also think Rohr has a different formation for Croatia.

Iwobi is one of our best strikers but Rohr chose to play him as a deep lying playmaker.

I think Rohr intentionally played Joel and Onazi against England.

All this points to one formation, the formation we used in the second-half of the game against Argentina.A formation without Moses,Onazi,Joel and Ighalo.

Rohr used the friendlies to eliminate any form of question from Nigerians on why Onazi,Joel,Ighalo and Moses didn't feature against Croatia, and his plan worked out as no one will be surprised if any of the above is dropped after a poor performance against England and Czech republic.
If so, he confused our opponents and made his starting XI free from criticism.
Just my thoughts.

Rohr will not drop Moses against Croatia.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 3:25pm On Jun 07, 2018
The whole World is watching Nigeria with bated breath and great expectation.

The Nigerian football jersey is the fastest selling strip in football history. Couldn't get one in London went on line and cheapest one I could find was £225. Called Nike to pre order in anticipation of next batch.

Thus team is on paper one of the weakest have fielded compared to other teams in our recent history. However, that's where the great strength is TEAM WORK and working very hard for each other. Nobody is a star

We have no stars to look to redeem us in time of difficulty. Nobody is a sacred cow anybody can be dropped.

Can we beat Croatia, 100% certainly big YES.

We need coordinated fast wing play we will need to use pace, pace will be key on the quick break. Croatia is a very physical side with little pace and we will have to boss them on the physical side of things. At the end of the day potatoe no be Yam.

My preferred formation 3-5-2

I am yet to see Simi play otherwise I would prefer a two forward play of Simi and Ighalo. Particularly as we desperately need to make our set pieces particularly corners count.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:27pm On Jun 07, 2018
CLT123:
When was Ighalo’s last good game?
I didn't mention Ighalo so answer the question.

Dem play Nacho for AM- zero. den out am for LW- zero. CF- zero. Na him own worst pass.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:27pm On Jun 07, 2018
CLT123:
When was Ighalo’s last good game?
I didn't mention Ighalo so answer the question.

Dem play Nacho for AM- zero. den put am for LW- zero. CF- zero. Na him own worst pass.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 3:30pm On Jun 07, 2018
charlesemeka85:
The rumoured stand off between captain of the Super Eagles John Obi Mikel and his deputy Ogenyi Onazi has been explained to Owngoalnigeria.com by a player of the team.

In fighting between the players and sometimes administrators have always played a very bad role in Nigeria’s dismal performance in major tournaments. Particularly the 2014 World Cup where according to present captain Mikel, players were up against each other.

The present squad has been viewed by many as one of the most tightly knitted in the history of Nigeria but rumours of a rift between two senior players of the team surfaced this morning.

Speaking to Owngoalnigeria.com shortly after this morning training, same time news about a rift between captain Mikel and Onazi broke out, the player who spoke on the condition of anonymity explained the issue between the duo.

” First of all there’s no truth in the story. Mikel doesn’t have any issue with Onazi. How is that even possible? “, he asked in a surprise way during the discussion on the rumours of a rift between the duo.

” Mikel is our leader both on and off the pitch. If at all anything happened between them it was the usual match tension. Nothing more. Talking about them not been on speaking terms, Mikel hardly talks.

” Skippo ( Mikel) is very quiet and reserved, so you can’t say he has any rift with someone base on that. Onazi is outspoken but even at that, he can’t speak rudely to the captain. People are trying to whip up division where there’s none”, he concluded.

I don't think there is understanding and appreciation of what the role of captain entails and it's limited authority over fellow players.

This is a non issue.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:34pm On Jun 07, 2018
komekn:

The Nigerian football jersey is the fastest selling strip in football history. Couldn't get one in London went on line and cheapest one I could find was £225. Called Nike to pre order in anticipation of next batch.

Thus team is on paper one of the weakest have fielded compared to other teams in our recent history. However, that's where the great strength is TEAM WORK and working very hard for each other. Nobody is a star

We have no stars to look to redeem us in time of difficulty. Nobody is a sacred cow anybody can be dropped.

We need coordinated fast wing play we will need to use pace, pace will be key on the quick break. Croatia is a very physical side with little pace and we will have to boss them on the physical side of things. At the end of the day potatoe no be Yam.

I am yet to see Simi play otherwise I would prefer a two forward play of Simi and Ighalo. Particularly as we desperately need to make our set pieces particularly corners count.

Choose another striker
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JoebieII: 3:44pm On Jun 07, 2018
I think this is the first time I've shared your post.. well don Sir Kome!
komekn:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 3:51pm On Jun 07, 2018
Mickael2:

Discussion in 'Sports News' started by Chris Maduewesi,
Apr 8, 2014. Views count: 5208
0 Former Super Eagles player Garba Lawal has revealed how they went against the coach's instruction at the France 1998 World Cup to play to their own preferred pattern against Spain at the tournament.
Nigeria stunned bookmakers to record an impressive 3-2 victory over favourites,Spain in their first game at the tournament.
Incidentally Lawal was on the scoresheet for Nigeria that day,scoring from a tight angle with Mutiu Adepoju heading in one of the goals,and a thunderous strike from Sunday Oliseh securing the win over Spain.
Lawal said that then coach,Bora Milutinovic prepared them to play a 4-5-1 formation but they decided amongst them before their customary prayers not play to that tactics.
"The coach wanted us to play 451 but we knew that if we did that, we would have serious problems against Spain if we played with one striker. So we the players decided to play 442," Lawal was quoted as saying on Kickoffnigeria.com
"We changed the formation inside the field, before we prayed. And that was what worked for us.
"We know our normal game so we all decided to play what normally works for us," he added.
Lawal who was mainstay in the Eagles team during his active playing days however,advised players not to adopt that strategy.
"It's not something we will encourage the players to do. But if you all feel that the system is not comfortable, you have to change because

Like I told you, the talents got us that far in 1998, the problem now is that we don't have the talent so using that tournament as an example is inappropriate totally.

Well if you still do not understand then OK

funny enough i rewatch that match again this morning, they actually played 4-5-1 from the setup i saw
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 3:54pm On Jun 07, 2018
Room still dey sef? I dey come, make I check.
grin
TheSuperNerd:
Thanks goodness you already addressed that Nacho analysis. because indeed Nacho is more dangerous cutting in from the right and not the left as he said. And that is only as a wing forward in a 4-3-3 not as a traditional winger.
Also Nacho does function beautifully as in a false 9/double false 9 approach or with two up top. He just needs one with the right off ball movements and not a static.

Now, I can say welcome... But the keys to the rooms are in the custody of Sir Joebie... wink He and he alone can show Sir Princfred his very own room.

Welcome then Princfred. Although, I have seen your moniker here a few times... But papa say we never dash you one large room. Sir Joebie Sir.... Over to thee... grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eleniyan15: 3:56pm On Jun 07, 2018
Good energy spotted cheesy

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 3:59pm On Jun 07, 2018
ChrisKels:
This is inline with my earlier post that as a professional, Rohr cant be blind to his errors and how to make corrections ;

Rohr said, "We have to work on some areas and make some changes in defence and attack. There is time to be ready for the World Cup. Some players are pushing to be considered and it’s a good thing to have competition in the team”

So sir Icon4s lower your temper, no one loves the team more

The Changes in the defence and attack should include Ebuehi, Simi/Iheanacho and Omeruo

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:01pm On Jun 07, 2018
Super Eagles, Croatia Drop In FIFA Ranking; Argentina, Iceland Maintain Positions
June 7, 2018 11:00 am

The Super Eagles of Nigeria dropped one place from 47th position to 48th in the latest FIFA world ranking, Completesportsnigeria.com reports.

The latest ranking was released on Thursday on FIFA’s official website.

Also in Africa, the World Cup-bound Super Eagles dropped from sixth place to seventh.
This was expected as the three time African champions lost three of their last five games.

The Super Eagles also lost 17 points from last month’s 635. They are now on 618.
Incidentally, none of Nigeria’s group opponents at the Russia 2018 World Cup rose in the ranking.

Argentina remain fifth in the world, while Croatia who the Super Eagles will face in their opening 2018 FIFA World Cup game dropped two places from 18th to 20th.
World Cup debutants Iceland remained 22nd.

Germany remain in first position, Brazil in second, Belgium in third, Portugal fourth and Argentina fifth.

In sixth place are Switzerland, France are seventh, Poland moved up three spots from 10th to eighth while Chile retain their ninth position and Spain completing the top ten ranked teams.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/super-eagles-croatia-drop-in-fifa-ranking-argentina-iceland-maintain-positions/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:04pm On Jun 07, 2018
NFF: No Cause For Alam Over Eagles’ Losses In Friendlies
June 7

The Nigeria Football Federation says the two recent losses by the Super Eagles in international friendly games should not make the team’s faithful panic the ahead of the 2018 World Cup billed to kick off on Thursday, June 14 in Russia.

General Secretary of the federation, Dr Sanusi Mohammed, tried to calm tensed nerves soon after the Super Eagles followed an earlier 2-1 loss to England with a lone goal defeat to Czech Republic in Austria on Wednesday. He insisted the team will respond positively to the losses when the 2018 World Cup starts.

“We are not worried by these defeats suffered in friendly games. These are friendly games and they are meant to try new tactics and blend the team, the results don’t really matter because I know our boys were not at their best. There is no cause for alarm, the Super Eagles will bounce back, Sanusi told Completesportsnigeria.com.

“You know the boys are not giving their best because they don’t want to sustain injury before the start of the World Cup. They are playing safe and I am sure they will go full blast when they face Croatia next week.

“The NFF have done their part in preparing the team for the World Cup, it is now left for the them to reciprocate the gesture by getting results in Russia. Nigerians should believe that the team will deliver in Russia.”

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/nff-no-cause-for-alam-over-eagles-losses-in-friendlies/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:06pm On Jun 07, 2018
ykalhaji:
It is funny that this game has even given me more confidence in the team. The second half the way the passes were strung up, we have to remember that this is a friendly game that is used to get the players to practice playing together certain things that they have being doing in practice in live ball situations. Play with players they normally do not play with during practice. Now the coach should have an idea of who plays well with who and what roles each player will play. Now the real practice and work begins.

The confidence Uzoho is getting is also a factor... Ndidi has fully recovered.

Exactly! That bolded show say you sabi something.

The only problem now is not utilizing the goal chances created. At least, I counted 4 good chances they created and missed. Haba!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:12pm On Jun 07, 2018
Wow. Komekn, I can't believe that I actually agree with you on something @the highlighted
Of truth, a broken clock is right twice a day grin grin

I always laugh each time I hear someone, especially here in the forum, talks about how this team is talent loaded.That's the farthest thing from the truth. This strengthen of this team is in organization and team cohension. Other than that, this team is seriously lacking in many critical departments (goalkeeper, top striker, LB, etc.), so to call it the most talented squad is to be delusional.

O pari

komekn:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:16pm On Jun 07, 2018
angry una still dey argue?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nextlevel2222: 4:30pm On Jun 07, 2018
Ighalo has never been a modern day striker who takes on players one on one. A bad midfield exposes his laziness. He is not consistent. If we have to do well in this 2018 world cup, it will be majorly from the midfield and defence. In a good team, anybody should be able to score. That's why the Super Eagles team that played the 2018 world cup qualifiers are better than this current world cup team yet same crop of players. The problem is obviously from the Technical crew

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:49pm On Jun 07, 2018
Yup. The problem is obviously from the technical crew, even though it's the SAME technical crew they had during the world cup qualifiers! Ol' boy, can you read yourself Seriously I am trying very very very hard not to say something rude to you, but I am not being very successful shocked
Anyway, listen, let me break it down for you - to the elementary school levels, OK? The problem is because these are meaningless friendly games when teams tend to try NEW formations along with NEW players.. Got it

O pari

nextlevel2222:

Ighalo has never been a modern day striker who takes on players one on one. A bad midfield exposes his laziness. He is not consistent. If we have to do well in this 2018 world cup, it will be majorly from the midfield and defence. In a good team, anybody should be able to score. That's why the Super Eagles team that played the 2018 world cup qualifiers are better than this current world cup team yet same crop of players. The problem is obviously from the Technical crew
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kabrudrapist: 4:52pm On Jun 07, 2018
charlesemeka85:

Own goal Nigeria is a crappie sports site. Believe them at your own peril.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 5:07pm On Jun 07, 2018
My Review:
CZECH REP. 1 – 0 NIGERIA.
From a Completesports Fan...

Nigerians are miffed; understandably in fits of rage over another loss by the Super Eagles.

GR however firmly stated that he is unmoved by the result, that what actually counts is the results in Russia.
I totally agree with the gaffer.
In modern football, a departure from the 80s & 90s as we know in Nigeria, scouts are employed to monitor formations & tactics of opposing teams before big tournaments as the Mundial.

Nigeria also have scouts after Argentina, Croatia & Iceland but not many are aware of this.
No modern day coach is bent on winning friendlies at all cost with his tactics when the event for which they are preparing is stil way ahead.
A good coach would devise his own strategies to win. Rohr has his plans.
Nigerians are used to winning even if it won’t serve any purpose.

This is a new dawn for Nigeria football and fans must change the old-fashioned mindset and embrace the new trend.
Did you know that our group opponents detailed scouts to spy on all Eagles’ matches?

Scouts were swarming all over team training camps, hotels and match venues to observe & jot down notes on every detail they can muster about the Nigerian team?
They were at Krasnodar, Russia for Argentina – Nigeria clash, Wroclaw in Poland, Hive in London for Serbia, Portharcourt for DR Congo, Wembley for England and now Austria for Czech Republic. Haba!

If diehard fans carry so much bitterness & frustration for team’s lacklustre displays then the aim is achieved.
Scouts also would be armed wit the wrong information & knowledge about SE’s strength.

This is the strategy going forward.
Rohr has done excellently well to keep fielding players out of positions, & trying other unuseful formations to delude & scam the spies on his tail..yet building his team.
Now they can go in to close camping to strategize, away from prying eyes of scouts.

Of what use will it be winning all friendlies, making fans happy, but crashing out of tournament early?
Gernot Rohr enjoys mind-games and has succeeded at it.

Rohr was Director of sports for Germany, ex- coach of Bordeaux, Nice, Ajaccio etc..
This is an intelligent & tactical wizard who is as crafty and deceptive as the game deserves.

I am absolutely confident that Super Eagles will wowed the world.
Even Jose Mourhino said that much.
We have seen nothing yet..
Don’t believe all what you see of Eagles at play, they are fables.
My technical review, Czechs – Nigeria match is in four parts, covering goalkeeping, defence, midfield & attacking line..

1) Goalkeeping:
Uzoho is our best glove; he is quickly coming up but still guilty of school-boy errors. He must build confidence to overcome those mistakes and seemingly jumpy nerves, or Nigeria would always concede a goal.
5/10.

2) Defence:
Our players were literally scattered & ambitious joining the attack.
The entire backline stretched itself doing so. It was a tactical one: a decoy.
You will never find this at the WC proper or get bombed.
Idowu, Balogun, Troost, and Tyrone were excellent. Shehu is a decoy.
Idowu moved up front as wing back and was a huge threat but final balls were let down.
This Dude is the real deal! He would be massive after the close-camp drills.
Aggregate Score: 6/10

3) Midfield:
The introduction of Ndidi alongside Mikel & Ogu brought depth to SE’s play.
Etobo was rested.
They worked off their socks and deservedly string several decent passes together. This looked very promising especially in the second period.
Aggregate Score: 6/10.

4) Attack:
Iwobi, Moses & Ighalo were lively all the time.
Late on Musa, Iheanacho & Simmy were brought in what looked like a disjointed combination. For tactical reasons this arrangement was perfect. A decoy.
Ighalo has failed to score for Nigeria since his lone strike in 4-0 routing of Cameroon.
He has gone 6 matches without a goal, & merely 4 in 18 matches for Eagles.
His starting role is gone for good, quote me.
Aggregate Score: 3/10.
M y Counsel:
+ Dead balls were a huge concern
+ Slow starts could spell doom
+ SE must convert 2/3 of set pieces
+ Protect the rear
+ One touch football in opponents half is the magic we need.
Overall Rating: 4/10.

The purpose for these friendlies has been achieved and the team can now start in close camp to examine, analyse, strategize and find solutions to breakdown each opponent’s SWOT profile.
While many are already calling for heads to roll, others are more cautious in taking a tough position.

For the record:
#Nigeria lost important friendlies leading to 1994 WC were the world stood at “Attention” for its brilliance.
# Nigeria in 1998 lost 0-1 to Germany, 0-3 to Yugoslavia & 1-5 to Holland before the 3-2 annihilation of Spain.
It was the Spanish team’s first loss in 33 games, over 3years period.
#Argentina fell 1-6 to Spain, Germany 0-2 to Austria leading to Russia.
Don’t judge a book by it’s cover.
I am Super Eagles No.1 fan & critic.
Let us wait for the Croatian – Nigerian match billed for 16th June.
Finally:
I read comments of distraught & woes from supposedly ardent SE’s fans on this platform and hav wandered at their lack of depth.
Meaning, they only follow wit their heart, not wit their head.

Support the crew and the team!
Don’t be afraid to BET on SE to shock the World, because they will.
Go Naija!

- From a Completesports fan

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/nff-no-cause-for-alam-over-eagles-losses-in-friendlies/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 5:27pm On Jun 07, 2018
Rohr: I’m Not Sad With Czech Defeat, Eagles Still Not Ready For World Cup
June 6, 2018

Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr has played down his side’s 1-0 defeat to Czech Republic in Wednesday’s final warm-up game before the World Cup, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

Chelsea defender Tomas Kalas who played on loan at Fulham last season tucked in a rebound in the 25th minute of the encounter to hand Czech Republic victory.

Rohr who watched his side slump to another defeat — his fourth since he took charge of the team two years ago — admitted after the defeat that his lads are not ready to face Croatia.

“We’ve nine days to be ready for our first match against Croatia, as at today we are not ready,” Rohr was quoted on the official Twitter handle of the Super Eagles.

“I am not sad because of this result, the result that matters will be in Russia.”

Nigeria will take on Croatia in their first game in Group D before battling Iceland and Argentina.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/rohr-im-not-sad-with-czech-defeat-eagles-still-not-ready-for-world-cup/#comment-131642
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 5:31pm On Jun 07, 2018
Set-pieces Wahala And Other Takeaways From Super Eagles Defeat To Czech Republic

After the Super Eagles suffered another defeat in their final warm-up game against Czech Republic ahead of the 2018 World Cup, Completesportsnigeria.com’s JAMES AGBEREBI highlights FIVE fallouts from the game…

– DEFENDING SET PIECES STILL A WORRY
The Super Eagles’ inability to deal with set pieces was again evident in the game against Czech Republic.

Despite parading a number of players with good heights like Mikel Obi, Francis Uzoho, John Ogu, Leon Balogun and William Troost-Ekong, they still struggle to find answers to crosses.

The Czechs were smart enough to notice that the Super Eagles players were finding it difficult to handle crosses hence they kept at it until they were rewarded.
Failure to address this will spell doom for the team especially against the likes of Croatia and Iceland.

– LACK OF CUTTING EDGE
During the qualifiers for the 2018 World Cup, the Super Eagles attack was a nightmare to their group opponents.

The team scored an impressive 11 goals in six games which helped secure the sole ticket in a group that had Cameroon, Algeria and Zambia. But in the five friendlies they have played, they have only scored three goals.

Against Czech, the Super Eagles struggled to break down and create goal scoring opportunities. The trio of Simeon Nwankwo, Ahmed Musa and Kelechi Iheanacho were introduced in the second half but failed to do any better than Odion Ighalo and Victor Moses who started.
This was evident in all the friendly games they played, which is a worrying signs going into the World Cup.

– WILFRED NDIDI RETURN VITAL
After missing Super Eagles’ friendlies against Democratic Republic of Congo and England due to a hamstring injury, Wilfred Ndidi finally returned.

Ndidi’s return is a good news for the Super Eagles especially in the midfield where question marks have been raised.
The Leicester City star played for 90 minutes against Czech Republic which is encouraging as the team head to Russia.

– FRANCIS UZOHO CEMENTS NUMBER ONE SPOT
Judging by his performance against the Czechs, Francis Uzoho has finally cemented his place as the Super Eagles undisputed number one going to the World Cup.
Despite conceding early in the game, Uzoho made superb saves to keep the scoreline respectable.

He made a pointblank save in the first half and two quick saves in the space of one minute, tipping a long range effort over the bar and stopping a goal-bound shot with his outstretches legs to deny the Czechs from extending their lead.

– POOR START ONCE AGAIN
Once again, the Super Eagles had a poor start to the game which saw the Czechs take advantage of.
They were slow off the blocks and were made to pay for it as the Czechs laid siege in the attacking third before Tomas Kalas’ goal.

Against England, it was the same story which saw the Eagles concede two first half goals.

They however grew into the game and had the upper hand in the second half but could not find the back of the net.

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/set-piece-wahala-and-other-takeaways-from-super-eagles-defeat-to-czech-republic/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JoebieII: 5:35pm On Jun 07, 2018
” Nigeria are suspect from high balls so we used that to our advantage after we noticed it against England before our game against them. As a team we adjusted brilliantly to the loss against Australia and it helped us”, the coach said.

” We were lucky to have claimed the win because Nigeria did very well in the second half but it also showed how we have organised ourselves after the disappointment of losing heavily against Australia few days ago”, he concluded.

If Czech noticed it Croatia would have long before then. We have tall defenders. With good positioning also, we should be able to deal with those aerial balls going forward.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 5:37pm On Jun 07, 2018
Icon79:
Wow. Komekn, I can't believe that I actually agree with you on something @the highlighted
Of truth, a broken clock is right twice a day grin grin

I always laugh each time I hear someone, especially here in the forum, talks about how this team is talent loaded.That's the farthest thing from the truth. This strengthen of this team is in organization and team cohension. Other than that, this team is seriously lacking in many critical departments (goalkeeper, top striker, LB, etc.), so to call it the most talented squad is to be delusional.

O pari

Yes...teamwork will take us far...no exceptional talent...if there is no team work...then this will happen to our team

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHH9EYZHoVU
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by nextlevel2222: 5:44pm On Jun 07, 2018
Icon79:
Yup. The problem is obviously from the technical crew, even though it's the SAME technical crew they had during the world cup qualifiers! Ol' boy, can you read yourself Seriously[b] I am trying very very very hard not to say something rude to you shocked[/b]

Listen, let me break it down for you to the elementary school levels, OK? The problem is because these are meaningless friendly games when team try NEW systems and NEW players.. Got it

O pari

You funny, something rude because of what I said.. Why are you guys here are like this... If anyone says something contrary to your opinions on the SE here, nah insult that person receive. Na wah ooo.. If you dnt agree with my opinion jump and pass nah, nah by force to quote me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by phreakabit(m): 5:53pm On Jun 07, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Here's a solution

3-4-2-1

Omeruo. Ekong. Balogun

Tyrone Ogu. Ndidi. Idowu

.............Iwobi Mikel

................. Ighalo

One thing is sure about this tactic, and that is creativity at full blast. Iwobi and Mikel playing side by side as twin AMs right behind Ighalo... he'll never be starved of service.

As for the DMs, Ndidi can roam around the DM area while Ogu must sit.

Simy can as well take the place of Ighalo.
Even moses can take Idowus

Oasis007 what do you think?. . . . I think I like it! grin
Its similar to a formation I drew up in another thread albeit inverted.
I'd swap Idowu for Moses though
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by CaptainGOOD: 5:54pm On Jun 07, 2018
nextlevel2222:

Thanks brother I said it one time that they 2018 is team is better than this team. Despite parading players that can't be measured up to this current squad. U see them launching attack and stinging good passes. Reason why they came back twice from a goal down against Argentina and also gave France tough time. Before they eventually won by luck.
I doubt if this team can ever come back twice from behind in this tournament if they are loosing. they dnt have d zeal I'm sorry to say

Keshi was indeed a good coach RIP TO HIM.

(1) (2) (3) ... (3966) (3967) (3968) (3969) (3970) (3971) (3972) ... (16183) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: freesinzu(m), elyte89, Nomyth, dkay51(m), Famocious(m), Meliforme, Abusule007, Cecco90 and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.