Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,361 members, 7,819,304 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:03 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (398) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11692140 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (395) (396) (397) (398) (399) (400) (401) ... (16156) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:34am On Dec 15, 2016
safarigirl:
was asking about his general play; tackles, dribbles, shots...

Did he look as good as he did when he was the Big 45?

I don't think we over analyse anyone else's game the way we over analyse that of Kelechi and we should be doing that

Even when Kelechi has a good game, we get a blow by blow analysis, so, we should apply same to every player. The way everyone was going on and giving thegoodjoe centre stage this entire weekend, one would think only Kelechi plays for the Super Eagles.

If I were Iwobi, I'd be just a bit peeved that nobody is even sniffing at my game though it was good(I assume). So, next time we're doing a run down, please, someone should equally analyze Iwobi, Moses, Musa the same way we do Kelechi.

We have just one Man City fan and at least three Arsenal fans here, so, why is it the City player getting all the spotlight?

The thing is some peeps here are very confident that Kelechi Iheanacho would become a 'world beater'. They call it "The Nacho Project". They have become so committed to believing in that project that they would always comment and make defense for anything that has to do with Iheanacho.

They have made it seem as if Iheanacho is the only promising talent we have in Nigeria.

Well, undecided it is only natural for people to love a player more than others. They just love Iheanacho more than the other Super Eagles players. And that is just it.

modified: I wonder if some1 like TheGoodJoe would still be a City fan if "Nacho" moves to another club.

Just reminds me of my Love for Kanu Nwankwo. I could not bare not supporting Kanu in any game he played. So when he went to Arsenal I became an Arsenal fan. He left Arsenal to Westbrom but common I cannot be a Westbrom fan na. So I stayed put with Arsenal till date. wink

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 10:10am On Dec 15, 2016
Chrismario:

He's as well good on counter.

What I still don't get is why we kip on producing many attackers with very few defenders

Because our system appreciates forwards more than defenders.

In a typical match situation, no matter how good the defenders turn out to be, the strikers mostly take the praise for the end results.

Very few analysts keenly pick on quality displays of defenders.

The defenders only get noticed when their blunders lead to defeat.

It is always the Strikers, Goalkeepers, Midfielders before defenders.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 10:13am On Dec 15, 2016
joseph1013:
I don't like what has happened to Imoh Ezekiel. He's a talented young man, who I think is better than Simon Moses. Gutted he's got himself into irrelevance by chasing money so early in his career.
That move to China did not help his career at all.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by NLban: 10:15am On Dec 15, 2016
tbaba1234:

He needs more training ground drills..
Una don start abi? grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:18am On Dec 15, 2016
Considering the comments of Icons, I wonder if Kelechi was not at City would he be given all this attention.

You don't have to be great to look good at city with the number of quality players around you. A real test
is to play in a team with lesser talent, now this could work positively or negatively.

I watched how Benteke at Villa was the focal point and there whole game plan was to get the ball to Benteke. To a lesser extent the same thing happened to Berahino before he fell out of favour with Pulis at West Bromwich. This allowed these two strikers to excel and develop thier game to become excellent players.

What about our players who play in less glamorous teams in the premiership who may not be given consideration.

I do belive that some leagues are considerably superior to others, and as such your ability to score for instance in the Austrian, Ukrainian and or Belgian league may not easily transfer to the premiership comparatively speaking.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:24am On Dec 15, 2016
Looking at Etebo and I have for some time, I would like to see him in the premiership as an attacking right side midfielder possibly as a winger.

Preferred team for him would be AFC Bournemouth for him to excel.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:32am On Dec 15, 2016
Icon4s:

The thing is some peeps here are very confident that Kelechi Iheanacho would become a 'world beater'. They call it "The Nacho Project". They have become so committed to believing in that project that they would always comment and make defense for anything that has to do with Iheanacho.

They have made it seem as if Iheanacho is the only promising talent we have in Nigeria.

Well, undecided it is only natural for people to love a player more than others. They just love Iheanacho more than the other Super Eagles players. And that is just it.

modified: I wonder if some1 like TheGoodJoe would still be a City fan if "Nacho" moves to another club.

Just reminds me of my Love for Kanu Nwankwo. I could not bare not supporting Kanu in any game he played. So when he went to Arsenal I became an Arsenal fan. He left Arsenal to Westbrom but common I cannot be a Westbrom fan na. So I stayed put with Arsenal till date. wink

I was a big City fan long before Iheanacho and I will remain a big fan if he lives for another club. So my love for City was long and way bigger than Iheanacho.

Also, I have seen some promising talents fail, most recently, Giovanni Dos Santos was a genuine talent. However, he did not reach the pinnacle.

Another was John Mikel Obi who was one of the best young talents I ever watched. He did not reach the height I expected.

That does not mean we should not believe in Nacho reaching the top height of the game, giving him immense ability.

It is a project and I believe the dream will yield fruits.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:42am On Dec 15, 2016
komekn:
Considering the comments of Icons, I wonder if Kelechi was not at City would he be given all this attention.

You don't have to be great to look good at city with the number of quality players around you. A real test
is to play in a team with lesser talent, now this could work positively or negatively.

I watched how Benteke at Villa was the focal point and there whole game plan was to get the ball to Benteke. To a lesser extent the same thing happened to Berahino before he fell out of favour with Pulis at West Bromwich. This allowed these two strikers to excel and develop thier game to become excellent players.

What about our players who play in less glamorous teams in the premiership who may not be given consideration.

I do belive that some leagues are considerably superior to others, and as such your ability to score for instance in the Austrian, Ukrainian and or Belgian league may not easily transfer to the premiership comparatively speaking.

Iheanacho showed promising talents from his early teens when he raked awards and City begun watching him. From the U17 to his early days in the City academy, he stood out.

So his brilliant form was before his City time.

In a lesser team, Nacho will stand out because of his Superior ability.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:47am On Dec 15, 2016
Icon4s:

I don't know... but I would have preferred Ndidi moved to Manchester United.

Besides, Leicester are a struggling side right now. They may even battle relegation if care is not taken.
You want Mourinho to damage his career ko
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 11:58am On Dec 15, 2016
Tunde Adeniji scores again in Bulgaria

Tunde Adeniji

Former Sunshine Stars striker Tunde Adeniji was the hero of his Bulgarian team Levski Sofia after he scored the only goal in a 1-0 win over Neftochimic Burgas 1962.

He scored in the 47th minute.

The 21-year-old striker lasted for 83 minutes, before he was replaced with Ilian Micanski.

He has now scored five goals in the league.

http://africanfootball.com/news/671661/Tunde-Adeniji-scores-again-in-Bulgaria

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:00pm On Dec 15, 2016
Siasia laments he's jobless because he failed to qualify for 2017 AFCON

Siasia

Coach Samson Siasia has lamented that he currently unemployed after he failed in a rescue mission to qualify Nigeria to next year’s AFCON.

Siasia was appointed in caretaker capacity to lead the Super Eagles in crucial AFCON qualifiers against Egypt in March after Sunday Oliseh had quit the previous month.

Egypt forced a 1-1 draw in Kaduna before they won 1-0 in Alexandria to go on to qualify for the 2017 AFCON in Gabon.

“I do not have job now because I did not qualify Nigeria to the AFCON,” regretted Siasia.

“It has shown that anytime I have taken a point midway, I do not do well.

“When I have started a job, I have always finished well.”

Siasia was linked with a lucrative offer in Qatar after he led Nigeria to third place at the Rio Olympics in Brazil.

However, nothing has since been heard about that deal.

His contract with the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) as Olympic coach ended after the summer games in Rio.

He has previously handled the Nigeria U20s, the Flying Eagles.

http://africanfootball.com/news/671677/Siasia-laments-hes-jobless-because-he-failed-to-qualify-for-2017-AFCON
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:04pm On Dec 15, 2016
EAGLES WATCH – Iheanacho Benched, Victor Moses Put Up Man Of The Match Performance, Ejaria Wins With Liverpool, Ighalo & Success Returns For Watford

As the English Premier League begins the countdown to the busy Christmas schedule, Owngoalnigeria.com bring to you a review of how Nigerian players performed in Match Day 16 games.

Sunderland 0-1 Chelsea

Victor Anichebe missed out on this tie with a suspected knock for Sunderland, who also had Nigerian wonderkid Josh Maja on the bench for the entire duration of the game, meanwhile Victor Moses was once again among the top performers for Chelsea, even though he picked up a booking and got substituted in time added on.

Middlesbrough 0-3 Liverpool

Former Nigeria U-17 trainee Ovie Ejaria added to his first team appearances for Liverpool this season, playing in the three minutes of their win over Middlesbrough which takes them back to second position, level on points with Arsenal but ahead on goal difference

Manchester City 2-0 Watford

Kelechi Iheanacho was an unused substitute in Man City’s 2-0 win over Watford with the 20 year old axed after an insipid display against Leicester City over the weekend.

Widely tipped as the replacement for the suspended Sergio Kun Aguero, he failed to live up to expectations in their 2-4 loss to Leicester City and watched from the bench as goals from Pablo Zabaleta and David Silva game them a 2-0 win.

For Watford Odion Ighalo was reinstated into the starting line up by coach Walter Mazzari but fired blanks, including a clear chance to draw his side level while Isacc Success returned back to playing coming on after an hour, a sign of the fact that he has shaken off the injury that has kept him away for two months.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/12/14/eagles-watch-iheanacho-benched-victor-moses-put-up-man-of-the-match-performance-ejaria-wins-with-liverpool-ighalo-success-returns-for-watford/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:06pm On Dec 15, 2016
BELGIUM CUP – Ndidi Stars, Strongest Nigerian Player Esiti, Simon & Rabiu Ibrahim Taste Defeat

Bar the club of Joseph Akpala, Nigerian players playing in the Belgium Cup suffered defeats with their respective teams in the various games played yesterday.

Akpala was an unused substitute as KV Oostende send Gent packing from the Cup with a 1-0 win despite the presence of Anderson Esiti widely regarded as the strongest Nigerian player at the moment.

Esiti nicknamed “The Tank” by the press in Belgium for his physical attributes was on for the entire duration of the game, while his fellow Nigerians at the club were introduced as substitutes at different intervals.

Moses Simon was introduced in the 74th minute while Rabiu Ibrahim came on in the 81st minute, but both of them fail to inspire a comeback for Gent.

Leicester City bound Wilfred Ndidi once again showed why he is so highly rated with a workaholic performance in the midfield for his team Genk although they fell 1-3 after extra time to Charleroi.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/12/15/belgium-cup-ndidi-stars-strongest-nigerian-player-esiti-simon-rabiu-ibrahim-taste-defeat/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:07pm On Dec 15, 2016
We Want Ebuehi But We Can’t Force Him To Play For Nigeria – NFF

The Nigeria Football Federation says although they are keen on having Dutch-Nigerian Tyroone Ebuehi play for Nigeria instead of the Netherlands, but they can’t guarantee if he will play for Nigeria or not.

Ebuehi turned down an invitation to join the Super Eagles during preparation for their last World Cup 2018 qualifiers, insisting on focusing on his club career at least for now.

However manager of the Super Eagles Gernot Rohr confirmed that the 20 year old who plays for ADO Den Haag in Holland will play for Nigeria, when next he is called up.

His confidence appears not to be on same wavelength with that of the NFF, who are skeptical about the chances of the full back swapping Holland for Nigeria.

“It’s Ebuehi who will decide the country he wants to play for,” Spokesman for the NFF Ademola Olajire said.

“According to FIFA regulation, no FA can force any player to play for a particular country.

“Ebuehi will decide the country he wants to play for and I believe he will play for Nigeria.”

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/12/15/we-want-ebuehi-but-we-cant-force-him-to-play-for-nigeria-nff/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:08pm On Dec 15, 2016
REVEALED – The Five Nigerian Players Gernot Rohr Adviced To Switch Clubs In January

Owngoalnigeria.com understand that coach of the Super Eagles of Nigeria Gernot Rohr told five current players of the Super Eagles to secure move away from their current teams in the January transfer window.

Rohr reportedly told captain of the team John Obi Mikel to secure at least a temporary move away from Stamford Bridge, where he has been frozen out of the first team setup by coach Antonio Conte.

The coach also advised William Troost-Ekong who is back at Belgian side Gent after a loan spell in Norway with FK Haugesund, to move to another team if he is not sure of getting regular run of games with Gent.

Same advice was given to Musa Muhammed, who lost his spot in the team after the dead rubber AFCON 2017 qualifiers tie due to his inactivity at club level, where he has only played a combined total of 20 minutes this season for Istanbul Basaksehir.

Even goalkepper Dele Alampasu was adviced by the manager to move to another club, preferably higher than his present Portuguese third division loan side Cesarense, while Godwin Obaje was also advised by the gaffer to engineer a move for the betterment of his career after emerging as top scorer in the Nigeria Professional Football League.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/12/15/revealed-the-five-nigerian-players-gernot-rohr-adviced-to-switch-clubs-in-january/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:10pm On Dec 15, 2016
Moving To China Is Not A Bad Move For Mikel – Rohr

The proposed transfer of Super Eagles captain John Obi Mikel to China is not a bad move according to coach of the senior Nigeria national team Gernot Rohr.

Mikel has been frozen out of the first team set up at Chelsea by manager Antonio Conte, in what is his 11th season at the club. A record which makes him the second longest serving player in the team behind captain John Terry.

Despite links with several European teams including some English Premier League team, Mikel is closing in on a move to China as exclusively reported by Owngoalnigeria.com few months ago.

” Mikel to China? Not a bad move, he need to play games and you can’t fault the level of the Chinese League any more. You have players moving from Europe to China at every transfer window, so it’s not the worst of all places to play football”, Rohr told Owngoalnigeria.com.

” It’s unfortunate what has happened to him at Chelsea, but we all know his quality and as a former club coach, I understand some of the intrigues involved in managing players at that level”.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/12/15/moving-to-china-is-not-a-bad-move-for-mikel-rohr/
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:11pm On Dec 15, 2016
Wilfred Ndidi Should Pair Mikel In Super Eagles Midfield Not Onazi – View From Belgium

As Nigeria gear up for the World Cup 2018 qualifiers game against Algeria in Uyo, a game that has been termed the sternest test yet for manager Gernot Rohr. The coach has been urged to play Wilfred Ndidi in the middle alongside Mikel Obi.

Ndidi was played from the right full back position in Nigeria’s 2-1 win over Zambia in Ndola, but Belgium based African Football expert Willy Musonda believes the 20 year old is under utilised.

” I saw the game between Nigeria and Zambia and I think Ndidi didn’t play up to 50 % of his abilities. In Belgium he is about the best defensive midfielder in the country” He told Owngoalnigeria.com.

“His passing range and his success with tackles have been one of the strength on which Genk have been building from since last season. He has added goals to his game as well, something you hardly see in defence minded players.

” It’s a no brainer, for the amount of space he covers against Algeria, I expect the Nigerian coach to play him from the middle, he could be the link between defence and attack.

” He doesn’t commit foul around the edge of the box or in dangerous position and his recovery rate is second to none. Rohr should be brave enough to drop Eddy Onazi and play Wilfred Ndidi in the middle”.

*First published on the 4th of November.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/12/15/wilfred-ndidi-should-pair-mikel-in-super-eagles-midfield-not-onazi-view-from-belgium/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:11pm On Dec 15, 2016
Icon4s:

Thegoodjoe isn't a City fan because of Iheanacho, he idolizes Pep and believes in the players and academy as well. A city fan cuz of Kelechi would drag Pep under the bus when he mistreats Kelechi just like I do.

You can accuse thegoodjoe of being a fanatic, but he's no fairweather fan.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:25pm On Dec 15, 2016
Five things to know about soon-to-be Leicester star Wilfred Onyinye Ndidi
By Colin Udoh
www.nairaland.com/attachments/4612588_indidi_jpeg2e77dd649565828e95816f1a361be027

Wilfred Ndidi looks set to join Premier League champions Leicester City in January.

Early this week, Genk midfielder Wilfred Onyinye Ndidi passed a medical at Leicester City and is now set to complete a five-year deal initially worth £15 million. The deal could rise to as high as £19m, depending on add-ons.

But who is this talented 19-year-old who has enjoyed a breakout season in Belgium with Genk?

Here are five things you need to know about the future Foxes star:

1. Nurtured by World Cup winner

Ndidi started out playing organised street football in the barracks of Lagos under the tutelage of Nigeria Under-17 World Cup winning captain Nduka Ugbade.

He showed so much promise and potential that Ugbade, then the assistant coach of the Nigerian U17 team, took him along to the national camp.

He eventually failed to make the cut.

2. Played at Copa Coca Cola under Victor Ikpeba

His first major tournament came under another World Cup star.

Former Nigeria and Monaco striker Victor Ikpeba led a team of youngsters to the Copa Coca Cola tournament in South Africa in 2010-11, and Ndidi was one of the standout players.

"I was really impressed by him," Ikpeba told ESPN FC. "Once you see him play, you just knew he would go places."

Such was the impression he left with the former Super Eagle that Ikpeba took him to Nath Boy's, the club owned and run by Yemi Idowu.

3. Serial winner

Ndidi has enjoyed the feeling of winning many times in his short career.

Playing for MFM FC, a church side in Lagos, his Ikeja beat the Headquarters team in the final, with Ndidi standing head and shoulders above the rest.

With Nath Boys, Ndidi helped the club win the Lagos Junior League, a competition for players in secondary school, three times in a row.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4612589_indidi2_jpeg0a829bc4dc78673220ce83f9b76d6e40

Ndidi has agreed to a five-year contract and has been earmarked as a long-term replacement for N'Golo Kante.

4. Can play multiple positions

This is no secret to those who know him in Nigeria, but Ndidi is a very versatile player who, in addition to his midfield roles, can play anywhere across the back.

With Nigeria struggling for a reliable right-back in their opening World Cup qualifier against Zambia, Ndidi was drafted to fill the role.

One match later, he was a late substitute for Chelsea's John Mikel Obi in midfield.

"He is a great player to have because you know he can play in multiple positions," Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr raved.

5. No red cards

For a midfield player with a high rate of interceptions and tackles, Ndidi has yet to pick up a red card in his playing career so far.

It is a statistic he is very proud of, and he remains keen to preserve it, even in the high intensity league that is England.

"He is a remarkably clean player who plays more with intelligence than with strength," Ikpeba said. "That's why you hardly see him get into trouble."

Leicester will certainly be hoping he can translate that to their midfield

http://www.espnfc.com.ng/club/leicester-city/375/blog/post/3020168/five-things-to-know-about-soon-to-be-leicester-city-star-wilfred-onyinye-ndidi

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:28pm On Dec 15, 2016
Nigeria Crash Out Of AFCON Beach Soccer

[img]https://4.bp..com/-204pJU-CQlw/WFFVDnXgUtI/AAAAAAAACTI/VAHy7MJ9zXQ0FjEPJJCS6xFj9V81XUutgCPcB/s1600/Super-Sand-Eagles.png[/img]
Nigeria’s Super Sand Eagles have crashed out of the ongoing African Beach Soccer tournament, losing 3-1 to West Africa rival, Cote d’Ivoire after the game ended 4-4 at regulation time.

Cote d’Ivoire scored first in the first quarter, Nigeria equalized few minutes after. The Ivorian team scored again in the second quarter, while Victor Tale rallied to level scores for Nigeria towards the last minute of the second quarter.

As usual, Cote d’Ivoire scored again to restore their lead, but Abu Azeez responded with a powerful strike to put Nigeria on level terms. It was a moment of relief as Nigeria for the first time in the game confirmed supremacy by scoring their fourth goal.

The celebration was short-lived as Cote d’Ivoire came from behind to score the equalizer as the game ended 4-4 at regulation time. But soon after, the game entered into the penalty shoot-out and Cote d’Ivoire scored their first kick. Nigeria couldn’t make use of the advantage, losing their own first penalty kick.

The penalty shoot-out ended 3-1 in favour of the Ivorians and the Sand Eagles fans were left disappointed after the team lost the opportunity to advance to the next stage and would not be among countries representing Africa at the 2017 FIFA Beach World Cup in Seychelles.

Day 2 Results:
Morroco 9-3 Libya

Egypt 5-4 Ghana

Senegal 3-1 Madagascar

Nigeria 4-4 Ivory coast (AP: 1 – 3)

http://www.soccernet.com.ng/2016/12/afcon-beach-soccer-nigeria-beat-egypt-3.html
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:37pm On Dec 15, 2016
Mikel Wage Demands Dashed Transfer To Premier League Club

Nigeria captain John Obi Mikel has turned down a move to an English Premier League club after they failed to meet his wage demands, allnigeriasoccer.com can exclusively report.

In the last one month, an unnamed Premier League club had been locked in talks with the defensive midfielder before pulling the plug on the deal this week.

“The transfer talks have broken down, his wage demands are a big issue so it is difficult to do a deal, ” a United Kingdom based intermediary who was involved in negotiations with Mikel and his camp told allnigeriasoccer.com.

Mikel, 29, saw a transfer to Spanish side Valencia in the January transfer window fall through after he demanded 10 million euros wages.

The former Lyn Oslo wonderkid is understood to be in talks with at least four Chinese Super League teams.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=21410
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:39pm On Dec 15, 2016
Watford Boss Explains Why Ighalo Started Ahead Of Deeney

Watford boss Walter Mazzarri has explained why Super Eagles striker Odion Ighalo started ahead of Troy Deeney in his side’s 2-0 loss to Kelechi Iheanacho’s Manchester City in the Premier League on Wednesday night.

Yesterday’s game at the Etihad Stadium was Ighalo’s first start in the English top-flight in the last five matches, and the manager has made it clear that he opted to name Troy Deeney on the bench as he was one booking away from a suspension.

“We have had three games in a week and this without Stefano Okaka, ” Mazzarri said in his post match comments.

“Also the fact Deeney had four yellow cards and I wanted to help his condition and be ready for the game against Sunderland.”

Ighalo played the full game against Manchester City and compatriot Isaac Success joined him on the pitch on the hour mark.

Igho Kingsley

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=21408

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:43pm On Dec 15, 2016
Aaron Samuel To Undergo Pre-Season Training With Guangzhou R&F After Seven Months Out

Aaron Samuel is making progress in his bid to return to full fitness and will rejoin his club Guangzhou R&F next month at their training camp ahead of the new season in China.

Samuel, 22, has not kicked a ball in a competitive fixture since May when he damaged the front and right side of the knee ligaments against Zenit St. Petersburg in the Russian Cup final.

“Aaron Samuel is nearing fitness and will start full training next month, ” a source close to Samuel told allnigeriasoccer.com.

“He will join Guangzhou R&F at their training camp. We don’t know yet if he would return to CSKA Moscow. There’s a lot of interest from other teams for his signature, we’ll see. ”

The Super Eagles frontman has a valid contract with Guangzhou R&F until December 31, 2017.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=21405

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:44pm On Dec 15, 2016
Alex Iwobi Told To Go Back To Nigeria After Miss Vs Everton

Alex Iwobi was insulted by a number of Arsenal fans in the wake of their 2-1 loss to Everton in the Premier League on Tuesday, with one frustrated fan telling him to go back to his native land, Nigeria.

The Nigeria international replaced Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain in the 71st minute of the contest at Goodison Park, and had a great chance to score in the fourth minute of stoppage time , but his effort was cleared off the line.

Iwobi was expected to net the equalizer with the goalkeeper out of the way but Seamus Coleman made a terrific block.

The 20-year-old later posted via Instagram a supportive message from a Gunners fan , who commented that the Nigerian will learn from his mistakes, will only get better and the chance wasn’t easy as he had players all around him.

Prior to the meeting against the Toffees, the former England youth international found the net in his last two matches, in the Champions League and Premier League.

Igho Kingsley

http://www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=21402
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 12:59pm On Dec 15, 2016
Icon4s:

Also reminds me of Uche Nwofor's Youtube videos. We thought we had seen a new Didier Drogba. grin

He is no Uche Nwofor abeg. Not a fair comparison. He is not just from a 2 minute youtube video. He is actually performing very well in the league. The most important player for his modest side and highly sought after.

Ofcourse, he is not the new messi or anything but his profile is rising fast.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:01pm On Dec 15, 2016
safarigirl:

Thegoodjoe isn't a City fan because of Iheanacho, he idolizes Pep and believes in the players and academy as well. A city fan cuz of Kelechi would drag Pep under the bus when he mistreats Kelechi just like I do.

You can accuse thegoodjoe of being a fanatic, but he's no fairweather fan.

So he is a City fan bc of Pep?
Meaning he became a City fan after Pep moved to City?

Who joined City before each other, Iheanacho or Pep?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 2:58pm On Dec 15, 2016
Icon4s:

So he is a City fan bc of Pep?
Meaning he became a City fan after Pep moved to City?

Who joined City before each other, Iheanacho or Pep?
so, you conveniently missed out where I mentioned belief in players and academy even after quoting it?

Oh, and let us all pretend thegoodjoe wasn't one of those who extolled on the greatness of the Etihad academy and why Kelechi should join City when all of us were doubting how good the club would be for him.

Icon abeg, I've had a long frustrating day, I would hate to pour frustrations on you. Believe what you will

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Elnino9(m): 3:05pm On Dec 15, 2016
would like to see a 3 man midfield of mikel,etebo,ndidi

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Petrobros: 3:26pm On Dec 15, 2016
safarigirl:
so, you conveniently missed out where I mentioned belief in players and academy even after quoting it?

Oh, and let us all pretend thegoodjoe wasn't one of those who extolled on the greatness of the Etihad academy and why Kelechi should join City when all of us were doubting how good the club would be for him.

Icon abeg, I've had a long frustrating day, I would hate to pour frustrations on you. Believe what you will

Is this kind of comment necessary for Christ's sakes
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:51pm On Dec 15, 2016
the part about his lack of bookings got me interested. seems he's one who doesn't depend on brute strength or agidi football. nigeria lacks a lot of footballers who play with intelligence. hope everything about the deal sails through without any hitches. pray he can deal with the pressure already they are unfairly comparing him to kante but i trust ranieri to guide him and help refine his game further.

terzurum5:
Five things to know about soon-to-be Leicester star Wilfred Onyinye Ndidi
By Colin Udoh
www.nairaland.com/attachments/4612588_indidi_jpeg2e77dd649565828e95816f1a361be027

Wilfred Ndidi looks set to join Premier League champions Leicester City in January.

Early this week, Genk midfielder Wilfred Onyinye Ndidi passed a medical at Leicester City and is now set to complete a five-year deal initially worth £15 million. The deal could rise to as high as £19m, depending on add-ons.

But who is this talented 19-year-old who has enjoyed a breakout season in Belgium with Genk?

Here are five things you need to know about the future Foxes star:

1. Nurtured by World Cup winner

Ndidi started out playing organised street football in the barracks of Lagos under the tutelage of Nigeria Under-17 World Cup winning captain Nduka Ugbade.

He showed so much promise and potential that Ugbade, then the assistant coach of the Nigerian U17 team, took him along to the national camp.

He eventually failed to make the cut.

2. Played at Copa Coca Cola under Victor Ikpeba

His first major tournament came under another World Cup star.

Former Nigeria and Monaco striker Victor Ikpeba led a team of youngsters to the Copa Coca Cola tournament in South Africa in 2010-11, and Ndidi was one of the standout players.

"I was really impressed by him," Ikpeba told ESPN FC. "Once you see him play, you just knew he would go places."

Such was the impression he left with the former Super Eagle that Ikpeba took him to Nath Boy's, the club owned and run by Yemi Idowu.

3. Serial winner

Ndidi has enjoyed the feeling of winning many times in his short career.

Playing for MFM FC, a church side in Lagos, his Ikeja beat the Headquarters team in the final, with Ndidi standing head and shoulders above the rest.

With Nath Boys, Ndidi helped the club win the Lagos Junior League, a competition for players in secondary school, three times in a row.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/4612589_indidi2_jpeg0a829bc4dc78673220ce83f9b76d6e40

Ndidi has agreed to a five-year contract and has been earmarked as a long-term replacement for N'Golo Kante.

4. Can play multiple positions

This is no secret to those who know him in Nigeria, but Ndidi is a very versatile player who, in addition to his midfield roles, can play anywhere across the back.

With Nigeria struggling for a reliable right-back in their opening World Cup qualifier against Zambia, Ndidi was drafted to fill the role.

One match later, he was a late substitute for Chelsea's John Mikel Obi in midfield.

"He is a great player to have because you know he can play in multiple positions," Nigeria coach Gernot Rohr raved.

5. No red cards

For a midfield player with a high rate of interceptions and tackles, Ndidi has yet to pick up a red card in his playing career so far.

It is a statistic he is very proud of, and he remains keen to preserve it, even in the high intensity league that is England.

"He is a remarkably clean player who plays more with intelligence than with strength," Ikpeba said. "That's why you hardly see him get into trouble."

Leicester will certainly be hoping he can translate that to their midfield

http://www.espnfc.com.ng/club/leicester-city/375/blog/post/3020168/five-things-to-know-about-soon-to-be-leicester-city-star-wilfred-onyinye-ndidi

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Loogan(m): 4:04pm On Dec 15, 2016
komekn:
Looking at Etebo and I have for some time, I would like to see him in the premiership as an attacking right side midfielder possibly as a winger.

Preferred team for him would be AFC Bournemouth for him to excel.

that team would feat him like a glove..truth is he would fit in almost any club in the world...this guy is special, we rarely see his type in football this days.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 4:29pm On Dec 15, 2016
Icon4s:

I don't know... but I would have preferred Ndidi moved to Manchester United.

Besides, Leicester are a struggling side right now. They may even battle relegation if care is not taken.
Man U is in a big dilemma of selection right now, even Mou himself is still confused. it's high time we refuse all these deals that doesn't benefit our players career. I prefer he watches Vardy and Mahrez and get 20-25 mind play, than be another Pogba or Mame Diouf cos it's a big club.

For now, I'm just waiting for the Nigerian that would break into Real Madrid....

Leic aren't bad for his switch to English football.

(1) (2) (3) ... (395) (396) (397) (398) (399) (400) (401) ... (16156) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Lyster360, elyte89, Unlimited22, 100smile(m), Charly17(m) and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.