Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,578 members, 7,865,407 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 05:27 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4048) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11957905 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4045) (4046) (4047) (4048) (4049) (4050) (4051) ... (16373) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 1:36pm On Jun 14, 2018
komekn:

The U20 has moved from mere future potential to proven actual ability.

You will find most Western European teams will have players who are if not regular first team players all will definitely have played first team football.

They will not be academy players.

Indeed there will be some who have caps at senior national team.

U17 is only indicative not conclusive of quality just potential. However, too many will be referring to U17 games to asses player ability and quality.

Very flawed approach

When it Comes to U23 we select the best available plus Super Eagles players.

But when it comes to U20 we will prefer academy players with the excuse that NPFL players are age cheats.

Compare Samuel Chukwueze, Orji Okonkwo, and Kinglsey Michael of two years ago under Emma Amuneke's U20 what they could offer then and what they can offer now.

Compare Taiwo Awoniyi when he played U23 as a 17 years old and now when is still eligible for the U23. Same goes for Osimhen.

I am not clamoring for the inclusion of over-aged players in our youth teams so also I am against fielding of Under aged players.

The U17 is for talents discovery while the U20/U21/U23s are to assess the young professionals on their readiness to make the move to the Senior level.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 1:37pm On Jun 14, 2018
brenister10:

Chai, ezekiel Bala, that guy with great potential just fizzle out like that

He failed to improve his game when the trio was with Lyn Oslo in Norway. Bar injuries, Ogbuke would possibly have made it better than Mikel.

I can't forget his(Obasi's) long range in Beijin when Isaac Promise was warming up to sub him, or his long range against Egypt in the AFCON before Meteeb and Co annihilated the Eagles.

He is Achara layout first son before Flavor and he was a warrior typical of his people(Ohafia)

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:39pm On Jun 14, 2018
Mickael2:

When I make reference to a good African coaches I always use Siasia.

a cursory look at that 2008 Olympics shows everything that Africa needs to excel. First of all we do not need a foreign coach, there is a bone in the foot which Europeans call Os Magnum but here we have another name for it. So it is in every field, what they know from their cradle is way way different from the basics we learn here. so how do you expect a foreign coach to be able to make use of our own basics while teaching us? The few White men who have come close to learning this have flourished way more than expected with lesser talented teams. Let the truth be told as at 1994 we did not have that much talent in our squad, most were raw players who later developed into good players during the 1998 World Cup but we had a far better tournament in 1994, Why? Because the coach in 1994 was one of the few guys who knew how the basics of African football. He was one of the few that understood that Africans had egos so he tried as much as possible to let that flow. There was a conversation I had with Siasia a long time ago and he said that the coach would come to....say Okocha and tell him something like ' you know you are a way better dribbler than Amuneke, show what you have', he will go to Amuneke and tell him ' you know you can easily bully your way through defences unlike that tiny Okocha with brown hair, show what you got'. In these two statements he has managed to tap into each man's ego but under this he still maintains this kind of strict African parental care which the players then were used to. He didn't care about the formation that other teams are playing, he used the one that he knew would suit our ability to run from 0-90mins. Trust me if this 3-5-2 formation was available then he would have used it or even a 3-4-3 to fully utilise out ability to run and also give our flair players the opportunity to express themselves and if he had cracked that then, that match against Italy would have easily been a 4-0 scoreline never mind that 1-2 loss. If Westerhoff had been able to take Nigeria to another CAF he would have won it again because he had imbibed the African basics and he totally ignored the European style of football. Another coach who has seemingly imbibed this African basic is Harve Renard and that's why he can take any team now to the summit of African football, trust me if he had the talent we have in this present super eagles squad, making the semifinals would have been very very possible. Beside all that, only a few African coaches sef understand that we have our basics too which they need to consider when coaching African teams. Imagine person like Amuneke wan coach Nigeria like we are Barcelona. it may work for U17 players who do not have any club, no ego and no stand but when they start getting clubs and the ego starts setting in he will fail, forget the tactics. He may go to a European club and start performing wonders no problem but not with our national team. Keshi and Siasia are perfect examples of people that have been able to inculcate those African basics into their coaching. If only they could eliminate greed and pick players based on form and merit we wouldn't be needing any foreign coach at all. For a normal European social media life has nothing to do with your performance, for us Africans social media has led to a greater failure rates in school, so a foreign coach may come and lay absolutely no emphasis on social media life thinking it has no business with our performance but then it does. In their club sides were they know that they need to perform else they will get kicked out how many of them have the time to post these number of pictures that they have been posting? that's one part of the reasons.

then we come down to tactics. What works for us? in the three world cups that we have performed well our wingers and SS have been very good, never mind the strikers themselves. Players like Babatunde and Osaze were the main reasons why we got to the round of 16 in 2014. But who are our wingers presently? Which of them can damage opponents? Victor Moses isn't even much of a threat to me and when you consider that we have like 4 or 5 other terrific wingers who could cause serious damage you start to wonder if the coach does not know what works for us. Is Iwobi a terrific winger? OK he is a good SS why still play him in that wing role? destroying two buildings at once. Emenike did not score a single goal at the World Cup and neither did Yakubu score from open play in 2010 and who was the main striker in 1998? many may recall the name because he is popular not because he did anything important in that tournament so this criticism of Ighalo is pointless to me, so long as he puts in a good shift for the team I am okay. Again the coach has the option of playing a 3-5-2 or 3-4-3 which would give us the ability to run and run and use that to our advantage but he decides to stick with a 4-2-3-1 formation? no need saying more.

Finally team chemistry. You won't get that by playing together for two weeks, probably Hummels and Boateng will be the first choice CBs for Germany, two players that started playing together from U20 and are in the same club. Ramos and Pique, players who study each other every week since they play in the same league. I can assure you that Balogun has never even watched Ekongs matches for his club side never mind the fact that they have hardly played together for 6-7 times. The only semblance to team chemistry that we have is between Onazi and Mikel which is why till today Onazi performs better with Mikel no argument but that alone will not work since we now play with Mikel higher up the pitch. In football, national teammates actually influence the movement of players, De Gea wanted to go back to Madrid because of that, Neymar to PSG and some others. but presently how many clubs have more than one Nigerian team? I wouldn't blame anybody for that though.

In conclusion I believe the right mixture of team chemistry, proper tactics and proper tactician/manager/team father would be enough for us to win the world cup

I am still trying to figure out the bolded on how we will play with just one winger. Peradventure, this is one is out of a game, how do we play?

Well, make I dey look. No bi say wingers no bokun but Rohr has another idea.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 1:40pm On Jun 14, 2018
KPOM! My biggest beef with BonJo was that he didn't even have any plans (or even a clue) how to develop our game or build a team. He would just come in two days prior to the match, gather the players together and play. He worked as a 100% hired hand.

The likes of Westerhof and Rohr may not be the best coaches in the world, technically speaking, but they both have a vision of building a team structure for us. Something like that was never in BonJo's plans.

O pari

Joebie:
Lol my bro. Most of the coaches that come here are not one of the best in the world. This also true as regards other expatriates
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by brenister10: 1:42pm On Jun 14, 2018
ChrisKels:

He failed to improve his game when the trio was with Lyn Oslo in Norway. Bar injuries, Ogbuke would possibly have made it better than Mikel.

I can't forget his(Obasi's) long range in Beijin when Isaac Promise was warming up to sub him, or his long range against Egypt in the AFCON before Meteeb and Co annihilated the Eagles.

He is Achara layout first son before Flavor and he was a warrior typical of his people(Ohafia)

Gbam! You nailed it
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:42pm On Jun 14, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
In case you're one of those who tag him selfish and big headed. Why so much care about him now.

Shows dude is our best. anyday

Thanks goodness you said "in case"... If not ehn, I for dash you one karate kick I recently learnt from one of my kung-fu tutors, TheGoodJoe...

How can I be so wrongly accused? angry

Next time, look road wella inugo?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 1:43pm On Jun 14, 2018
asha80:
I know.. probably why Suarez took his chance.. he wasn't going to just allow the ball fly into the net at the point in time in the match without giving his team a fighting chance

I was indifferent when that incident took place because the bredas were loud mouthed and there was no better way to shut them up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 1:43pm On Jun 14, 2018
gbosaa:

But 96 team was under 23 plus Uche Okechukwu, Taribo and cant remember the third over aged player. 96 was a mixed of under 23 and three over aged players while 94 was the real deal. Abacha's and South Africa's politics denied us the chance to see the 96 Super Eagles so i think 94 set was better.

when i say 1996 team was better i mean it was the combo of the best young players of the 1994...Okocha,oliseh,amokachi. then best of our experience players Amunike and Uche okechukwu and the best of our upcoming stars like ikpeba, oruma, kanu, celestine,lawal, tijani and tatibo.

it was a fine blend, in 1994 our squad players like iroha, cerezo, nwanu were already ageing
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:44pm On Jun 14, 2018
Nigeria’s first ever WC goal was scored by a number 9 shirted player. No #9 shirt d player has scored for Nigeria at a WC match since Yekini’s opener versus Bulgaria.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 1:44pm On Jun 14, 2018
I honestly and sincerely believe that a visionary coach would've done better ... much better. Not only in terms of the silverwares won, but in building a team structure. I think Nigeria lost a big opportunity to make noise in world football. Opportunities like may only come once in a century.

O pari

Martz101:

how did he waste our golden generation, he took us to 2 tournerment and he won one and was second in the other courtesy of a penalty shootout.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by opes: 1:45pm On Jun 14, 2018
gbosaa:

But 96 team was under 23 plus Uche Okechukwu, Taribo and cant remember the third over aged player. 96 was a mixed of under 23 and three over aged players while 94 was the real deal. Abacha's and South Africa's politics denied us the chance to see the 96 Super Eagles so i think 94 set was better.

Taribo was not considered over age in the olympic team. Uche, Amokachi and Amunike were the over aged players
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 1:46pm On Jun 14, 2018
Icon79:
Well, that ball would be ruled as a goal if he does the same thing today. They have changed the rules.

I mean, think about it, did Uruguay play even a single minute with 10 men in that match? It was totally unfair what happened to Ghana!!

O pari

when did they change the rules? how sure are you?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:47pm On Jun 14, 2018
And our current no.9 shirted player finds it difficult scoring enough in the GWG. Let us hope he breaks that jinx in Russia. He has to ooo... angry

Joebie:
Nigeria’s first ever WC goal was scored by a number 9 shirted player. No #9 shirt d player has scored for Nigeria at a WC match since Yekini’s opener versus Bulgaria.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 1:48pm On Jun 14, 2018
I think Taribo was U23.
It was Uche, Amuneke and Emmanuel Babayaro

Modified
Amokachi, not Emma Babayaro.
Amokachi had turned 23 before 1996
gbosaa:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 1:49pm On Jun 14, 2018
andrew444:

Common not nianggolan should be dropped,personal issues should not be bring in terms of selection.

How can you take a west brom player to the World Cup and stop nianggolan?

It's just like Belgium taking benteke and dropping lukaku.

Nianggolan is Belgium best midfielder so what are you saying?

Brazil has been inviting Chinese based players since the qualifiers,Paulinho and renato augusto,even if Paulinho didn't make Barca move he is a sure starter in that team.

this thing happens everywhere, Romario was dropped, young maradona was dropped.

baggio was dropped in 2002, low dropped Sane why not say low is a bad manager for that.

Argentina drop Icardi he was practically there best striker in Europe, and inform tevez was dropped in 2014.

keshi dropped martins in 2014, martinez dropped
nianggolan why will that make him a bad manager
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 1:51pm On Jun 14, 2018
Icon79:
Nah, they were totally average. Same with the Copa America. That's why I can't understand why they are rated very highly by the pundits. Frankly, I wish we had Uruguay instead of Croatia, even though Croatia didn't impress in the qualifiers either.

O pari

The Uruguay team would have been a better draw for Nigeria, imagin us in that Egypt group
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 1:52pm On Jun 14, 2018
andrew444:

lol common,Uruguay instead of Croatia
yes I agree too
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 1:53pm On Jun 14, 2018
I think they did. But I might not be sure tho.

Well they should do that, if they haven't done it already because that's the worst form of unfair play especially if you consider that Ghana v Uruguay match. Because Uruguay didn't suffer any form of disadvantage in that particular game.

O pari

asha80:
when did they change the rules? how sure are you?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 1:56pm On Jun 14, 2018
Martz101:

this thing happens everywhere, Romario was dropped, young maradona was dropped.

baggio was dropped in 2002, low dropped Sane why not say low is a bad manager for that.

Argentina drop Icardi he was practically there best striker in Europe, and inform tevez was dropped in 2014.

keshi dropped martins in 2014, martinez dropped
nianggolan why will that make him a bad manager

Leave Keshi matter we no as e b

Icardi own is better because they have aguero and higuain

Who is Belgium holding midfielder?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 1:56pm On Jun 14, 2018
Oh my, the Egypt's group would've been a breeze. But FIFA knew what they were doing. I predicted before the draw that Nigeria and Morocco are going to get the toughest draws. It happens all the time - the African teams likely to make the most noise always gets drawn into the group of death.

O pari

Martz101:

The Uruguay team would have been a better draw for Nigeria, imagin us in that Egypt group
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 1:58pm On Jun 14, 2018
Martz101:

yes I agree too

I dey laff una,no b Croatia comot for group stage for last World Cup ?

The last time you played Uruguay did you win dem?

The way una dey judge ball tire me
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 2:00pm On Jun 14, 2018
Martz101:

If we play the way we played in the friendlies we will not win Saudi Arabia or even the host Russia.

If you watch Germany and Saudi Arabia then you will know how good they are.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 2:03pm On Jun 14, 2018
1 hour 30 mins away from the world cup opening ceremony and 2 hours away from kickoff. The moment we've been waiting for is almost here. cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 2:04pm On Jun 14, 2018
Or maybe he’d just our last of the decade. grin
TheSuperNerd:
And our current no.9 shirted player finds it difficult scoring enough in the GWG. Let us hope he breaks that jinx in Russia. He has to ooo... angry

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jun 14, 2018
andrew444:

If we play the way we played in the friendlies we will not win Saudi Arabia or even the host Russia.

Saudi Arabia and Russia, really? Wow, us Nigerians have been through so much that we've been programmed to see the worst in the best of circumstances.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by asha80(m): 2:10pm On Jun 14, 2018
Icon79:
I think they did. But I might not be sure tho.

Well they should do that, if they haven't done it already because that's the worst form of unfair play especially if you consider that Ghana v Uruguay match. Because Uruguay didn't suffer any form of disadvantage in that particular game.

O pari

they didn't change the rule and I hope they do not because it will bring up other complications and problems that would be difficult to handle.. for e.g. the Abel Xavier hand ball against France in Euro 2000 that led to zidane scoring golden goal penalty how will categorize that? deliberate handball?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 2:10pm On Jun 14, 2018
andrew444:

forget friendlies, germany the world champion has only one win simce last year and that wim is the 2-1 against saudi, going by that they should also be out in group stage
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 2:11pm On Jun 14, 2018
andrew444:

I dey laff una,no b Croatia comot for group stage for last World Cup ?
The last time you played Uruguay did you win dem?
The way una dey judge ball tire me
you are the one judging wrongly
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:12pm On Jun 14, 2018
Eligreat247:

From Iwobi`s response on most difficult dance move i think shaku shaku is going to be their dance step for goal celebration. Who else can see so?

They no go let u. U know how our guys celebrate, e be like say they wan kill person with hug. As soon as u score somebody is jumping on your neck grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 2:12pm On Jun 14, 2018
Icon79:
Oh my, the Egypt's group would've been a breeze. But FIFA knew what they were doing. I predicted before the draw that Nigeria and Morocco are going to get the toughest draws. It happens all the time - the African teams likely to make the most noise always gets drawn into the group of death.

O pari

you dont come again with your fifa conspiracy lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Martz101: 2:15pm On Jun 14, 2018
andrew444:

Leave Keshi matter we no as e b

Icardi own is better because they have aguero and higuain

Who is Belgium holding midfielder?

i gave you names of players and you chose to talk about the ones you want to, higuain and icardi was in the same league, who scored more?

Belgium has dembele,witsel and feliani

and yes you skip the question is low a bad coach for dropping Sane??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 2:17pm On Jun 14, 2018
Martz101:

i gave you names of players and you chose to talk about the ones you want to, higuain and icardi was in the same league, who scored more?

Belgium has dembele,witsel and feliani

and yes you skip the question is low a bad coach for dropping Sane??

None of this player are up to nianggolan standard.......But dembele is great

Fellaini is crap witsel na ok....Nianggolan edge them out.

(1) (2) (3) ... (4045) (4046) (4047) (4048) (4049) (4050) (4051) ... (16373) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Diavolo, Christology(m), Ihenzy(m), Marjoribanks, lovewins, do4luv14(m), codemaniacs and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.