Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,362 members, 7,864,685 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 12:53 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4193) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11954240 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4190) (4191) (4192) (4193) (4194) (4195) (4196) ... (16371) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:54pm On Jun 20, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
me drunken master.. u are not being civilized u know

Haba... You no know say Na compliment? wink I am placing you in the same league with Jackie Chan... cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 7:55pm On Jun 20, 2018
Lol i think mourinho and Diego siemone are their mentor
krattoss:
Mouribho is a learner for parking bus..

Iran is parking armored tanks and air Defence systems grin cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:59pm On Jun 20, 2018
isan:
Lol i think mourinho and Diego siemone are their mentor

Omo ehn... The mentoree is outshining their master-mentors here oooo... Iran brought the entire wall of China and the great Zaria wall and placed in front of and around their goal.

They are breaking the first rule of power... Mourinho has never gone to these lengths. Indeed there are levels in bus-parking... Iran has unveiled another realm to this. Chaaaaiiiii...

Look at Mourinho right now, he is flabbergasted.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 8:00pm On Jun 20, 2018
Portugal and Uruguay didn't play but they get the job done morroco played they are going home wink
Icon4s:

You don't want to play yet you want to get the job done.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:10pm On Jun 20, 2018
The Iranian Goalie really invoked the spirit of Lev Yashin there. WHAT A DOUBLE STOP. The Iranians are ready to die defending. grin

Their motto: "We die here!"

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:13pm On Jun 20, 2018
Icon4s:

He was making comparisons between Mikel and Iwobi, you talking of Modric. Is Modric going to play for us?
Bottom line: Iwobi is the best person to play behind the strikers as AM. shikena.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:15pm On Jun 20, 2018
And the great China wall have fallen!!! The Iranians in a rush to defend a iniesta sleek pass to Costa (after Costa rolled it into his path with a half turn) played it into Costa's legs and a goal it is....

The Great China wall... The Great wall of Zaria... The lion stronghold of Persia has fallen...

The Iranians be like...

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 8:20pm On Jun 20, 2018
One thing I notice is that nobody ever stands at the far post when we have set pieces but that is where most the balls end up.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lexyman(m): 8:21pm On Jun 20, 2018
underate any team in this tournament @ your peril grin Iran doing spain strong thing

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:28pm On Jun 20, 2018
Moments ago... VAR just ruled out Iran's goal. Adjudged offside. These Iranians are die-hard Persians. Xerxes and Cyrus would be so proud.

Never say die Iran. Chaaaiiiii...

69 mins gone now... What a game.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Napoleon55(m): 8:29pm On Jun 20, 2018
even rats now
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:29pm On Jun 20, 2018
Certitude:

Why sir?
If you cannot see the hand writing on the wall then my brother I can't help you oo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:30pm On Jun 20, 2018
Chaaaaiii.... See these Iranians doing unsynchronized diehard defending!!!! Crazy stuffs... These Persians are mean.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:34pm On Jun 20, 2018
LieDetector:
I'd prefer Croatia to win so that even if we win Iceland and draw Argentina(or vice versa), we'd be through

I hope for a croatia win or draw. That would mean, we only need a draw if we beat Iceland well.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:35pm On Jun 20, 2018
Humility017:

oga icon...are we still in the qualifiers...?
sometimes you make me fear and see you as a very conservative and analog kind of coach....

you have tried something and it is not working....common sense expect you to make changes....
you can't keep doing somethin same way and expect an improved results
it seems you are still in the euphoria of the world cup qualifers..... where we played weaklings.
now is the gathering of world best teams..

we have played mikel as AM for something now...but still.no results...so let's try iwobi there while mikel provide support from the CM role....
etebo or musa can be deployed to wings.....
I visit other football forums where the SE is the focus. Walahi the consensus is that Iwobi fits the AM role more than Mikel.

I was surprised to read baba Icon4s talk about the WCQ in the context of the discussion.

Something that is not working koro koro, with our clear eyes we dey see am.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 8:36pm On Jun 20, 2018
Croatia did not have a shot on target until the penalty. If only we had more bite upfront.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:37pm On Jun 20, 2018
AIG07:
Uruguay has just qualified for the round of 16

Do you still remember Marcus the Mystic pig? It prediction is still on course.
Marcus my guy. If we fail to qualify it is we who failed Marcus and not Marcus failing us. Let us not come and destroy the 100% correct record of this pig ooo. The international community is watching oo.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:42pm On Jun 20, 2018
tbaba1234:
Croatia did not have a shot on target until the penalty. If only we had more bite upfront.
If you know how angry I am at that Croatian team ehn. I'm more angry at them than the SE. I don't want to hear any nansense about 'we have an average team'. It's nonsense not because we don't have an average team. We do have an average team for a fact. It's nonsense because in the context of that match pedigree didn't matter!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by opes: 8:42pm On Jun 20, 2018
tbaba1234:

I hope for a croatia win or draw. That would mean, we only need a draw if we beat Iceland well.

If Croatia should win, they may rest their best players against Iceland

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by gamaliel9: 8:49pm On Jun 20, 2018
PHESE PERSIANS HAVE BEEN RUNNING FROM START.....Amazing...are they on buruntachi?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:50pm On Jun 20, 2018
Mujtahida:

I visit other football forums where the SE is the focus. Walahi the consensus is that Iwobi fits the AM role more than Mikel.

I was surprised to read baba Icon4s talk about the WCQ in the context of the discussion.

Something that is not working koro koro, with our clear eyes we dey see am.
show me a smart man and I will show you a man who is flexible with his approach to issues....

you can't keep repeating things in Similiar fashion and expect a miracle....

even mouriho the coach who knew mikel better than even rohr faulted rohr tactics on playing mikel in the AM role..... this is the world stage...you can't expect the European teams to play like Africa teams who could not contain mikel makeshift role as an AM...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 8:53pm On Jun 20, 2018
opes:

If Croatia should win, they may rest their best players against Iceland

Dt Croatia will lose tmao game with at least 2-3goals margin, na we mess up na cool
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 8:55pm On Jun 20, 2018
mank1234:
If Iceland decides to play like Iran,it will be difficult for Nigeria cos we are poor at opening up defence. See how Spain is struggling!
I'm afraid we might see a repeat of our game against Iran in the last world cup against Iceland. We've never been good at breaking teams that seat deep.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 8:55pm On Jun 20, 2018
Icon4s:

It is your same kind of person that will be quick to jump and say "why didn't Rohr play Mikel where he has been playing before"?

You think players selection for the world cup is like what you do on your PES?

I don't think anyone here in time past has defended Iwobi's abilities as a central AM in the team like I have done.

Some people here have tipped Iheanacho and Etebo as being ahead of Iwobi in that AM role but I argued in favor of Iwobi as second best behind Mikel for that role.

Was it not here we agreed that Mikel has the best killer pass instinct in this whole team?

Let everybody say what ever they want to say. I am not everybody.

Rohr can chose to play Mikel at CM and Iwobi at AM. Or still play Iwobi at the Left or Right AM positions so be it. That doesn't make him analog. He knows the team better than anyone of us here.

and the top class coach who knew mikel better than even rohr...just faulted rohr use of mikel as AM for the super eagles....

oga please dont be rigid...be flexible alittle...
that it work for us to play mikel as an AM during the qualifers does not mean that it will work now in the world cup....
as the name implies this is the gathering of world best teams...so don't expect same easy ride we had against Africa oppositions.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 8:58pm On Jun 20, 2018
isan:
Portugal and Uruguay didn't play but they get the job done morroco played they are going home wink

The kind of system we operate requires us to play to win.

Our defense cannot soak up pressure for long.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 8:59pm On Jun 20, 2018
Actually Marvellous Basco, Etebo was at that far post but he only stepped forward to stop a threat in front of him which resulted in the own goal. Etebo was the one at that far post. It just happened too fast. It is okay. Hope to see the real Super Eagles truly take off into the skies against Iceland. We know it is war.

BascoVanVeli:
One thing I notice is that nobody ever stands at the far post when we have set pieces but that is where most the balls end up.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:03pm On Jun 20, 2018
Humility017:

and the top class coach who knew mikel better than even rohr...just faulted rohr use of mikel as AM for the super eagles....

oga please dont be rigid...be flexible alittle...
that it work for us to play mikel as an AM during the qualifers does not mean that it will work now in the world cup....
as the name implies this is the gathering of world best teams...so don't expect same easy ride we had against Africa oppositions.

So why do we prefer the onyinbo wall even despite conceding goals repeatedly with the duo especially in our recent games?

Because we want to be flexible let us start Awaziem and Omeruo at CB.

After all, we are playing in the WC and not the qualifiers.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mank1234(m): 9:04pm On Jun 20, 2018
Icon4s:

The kind of system we operate requires us to play to win.

Our defense cannot soak up pressure for long.

Against Argentina, at some point we sat deep. Discipline, determination and focus is the key.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 9:05pm On Jun 20, 2018
Then Sir Edi, shooting will be key. Shooting from outside the box. Ndidi can strike the ball for instance. Etebo too. We cannot depend on just passing around them. Iceland are seasoned defensive masters. They have perfected their craft in defending. It would take a few mistakes to get in behind them. Shooting on sight must be part of our strategy on friday. I cannot also forget to mention Iheanacho. His shooting too will be key. Any chance to shoot from outside the box must be utilised. Against Iceland we must try all attacking options to get the goals we so crave.

edi287:

I'm afraid we might see a repeat of our game against Iran in the last world cup against Iceland. We've never been good at breaking teams that seat deep.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:07pm On Jun 20, 2018
mank1234:

Against Argentina, at some point we sat deep. Discipline, determination and focus is the key.

That was when we conceded those 2 goals. immediately we started playing we started scoring. Argentina hardly threatened in that second half.

We are not that type of team that can soak up pressure for long. If we don't concede from open play a simple set piece will open us up.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 9:12pm On Jun 20, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Then Sir Edi, shooting will be key. Shooting from outside the box. Ndidi can strike the ball for instance. Etebo too. We cannot depend on just passing around them. Iceland are seasoned defensive masters. They have perfected their craft in defending. It would take a few mistakes to get in behind them. Shooting on sight must be part of our strategy. I cannot also forget to mention Iheanacho. His shooting too will be key. Any chance to shoot from outside the box must be utilised. Againat Icelandz we must try all attacking options to get the goals we so crave.

Preach it! Preach it!
Shoot! Shoot! Damn the crosses for now!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:14pm On Jun 20, 2018
TheSuperNerd:
Actually Marvellous Basco, Etebo was at that far post but he only stepped forward to stop a threat in front of him which resulted in the own goal. Etebo was the one at that far post. It just happened too fast. It is okay. Hope to see the real Super Eagles truly take off into the skies against Iceland. We know it is war.

No I am not talking defensively, I am talking about when we attack set pieces there is rarely anyone at the far post expecting the ball to spill to them. Most times the ball just harmlessly rolls out of bounds.

(1) (2) (3) ... (4190) (4191) (4192) (4193) (4194) (4195) (4196) ... (16371) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: daveP(m), jihday(m), BascoVanVeli(m) and 6 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.