Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,880 members, 7,844,840 topics. Date: Thursday, 30 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (4927) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11833185 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (4924) (4925) (4926) (4927) (4928) (4929) (4930) ... (16234) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SlayerForever: 10:01pm On Oct 15, 2018
Earthquake1:
Nigeria has the best array of wingers in Africa, possibly in Europe B

True or false?

I just checked Europe B teams. Placing Nigeria side by side with those teams in Europe B,Nigeria beats them hands down for sheer number of talented wingers. However, our players are very young and inexperienced,they need to mature first.

To put it simply,you're not far from the truth.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by wayodude(m): 10:02pm On Oct 15, 2018
krattoss:
sigurdson is the only name am seeing there, and if kalu should come to everton, he {sigurdson} will switch to his attacking midfield role.

The rest are just there.. They I'll even learn football from samuel kalu.

cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:02pm On Oct 15, 2018
charlesemeka85:
Nigeria's delegation to Tuesday's 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match between the Super Eagles and the Mediterranean Knights of Libya landed safely in the Tunisian city of Sfax on Monday evening.

The Max Air aircraft that took off from Uyo and had a stop –over in Kano to refuel touched down at the Sfax Airport at 4pm Tunisia time (same as Nigeria) and the players and team officials immediately headed to their Zeitouna Hotel abode for a short rest before the official training session.

The delegation, led by NFF 1st Vice President, Barrister Seyi Akinwunmi, also included 2nd Vice President Shehu Dikko and Executive Board members Ibrahim Musa Gusau, Yusuf Ahmed 'Fresh' and Emmanuel Ibah.

There were also immediate past NFF President, Alhaji Aminu Maigari, former top official of the Youth and Sports Ministry, Alhaji Abba Abdullahi Yola (also Chairman of the NFF Technical Study Group), Alhaji Mainasara Illo and some members of NFF Management led by the Director of Competitions, Mr. Ayobola Oyeyode.

A couple of Members of the NFF Congress, some NFF Staff, a few representatives of the media and some members of the Nigeria Football Supporters Club were also on board.

The three –time African champions, 4-0 winners of the first leg encounter in Uyo on Saturday, trained for one hour at the Stade Taïeb Mhiri ahead of Tuesday's big clash.

A win for Nigeria on Tuesday would take the Super Eagles much closer to a place at the 2019 AFCON finals to be staged in Cameroon, and the words of leader of delegation Seyi Akinwunmi was ringing in the players' ears as they trained.

"We have come here determined to pick the three points at stake and make the road much smoother for us towards Cameroon 2019. The players did a great job in Uyo on Saturday and all they need is step up a gear here and amass another three points.

"We have confidence in the players that we have here, as well as the technical crew, and we believe they will do the job."

Nigeria lie second on the Group E table with six points, one less than leaders South Africa, ahead of Tuesday's Matchday 4 battles. South Africa are also away, to Seychelles in Mahe Island on Tuesday.

Match officials for the encounter in Sfax are already in town for the game starting at 7pm Tunisia time (same time as Nigeria), with Botswanan official Joshua Bondo as the referee.

I very much believe we can beat Libya again tomorrow.. The fact that its gonna be held in a neutral venue(even if the stadium will b filled with Libyans), won't matter much... My major concern are that the Libyans might try to play dirty like how north African teams and known for and Rohr might be playing for a draw like he stated last month about targeting 4 points against Libya

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SlayerForever: 10:06pm On Oct 15, 2018
darkelf:

I sincerely doubt this ooo bros

[s]Bordeaux plays in a weaker league and thus, it's easier for them to qualify and appear in more Europa games.
[/s]

Should they meet, I believe Everton would be victorious

What the hell are you talking about?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by cc12(m): 10:25pm On Oct 15, 2018
I see Samuel Chukwueze as Super Eagles starting RWF in a few years coming, how I wish we have the same level of competition we have in the wings in the AMF, CMF and DMF.

ChrisKels:
Santi Carzola on Villarreal tenage sensation, Sammy Chukwueze;

” He is young and willing to learn and that will help his career here at Villarreal and maybe even further. The reason why he is here(the Villarreal first team) is because he is very special . The hard work starts now for him and other young players in the team”

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:37pm On Oct 15, 2018
cc12:
I see Samuel Chukwueze as Super Eagles starting RWF in a few years coming, how I wish we have the same level of competition we have in the wings in the AMF, CMF and DMF.

I do not.

There are too many variables to make that assumption.

I watched him play against lowly Rangers and for the time he came on albeit it not more than 15 minutes if I'm right. He simply was not outstanding.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 10:39pm On Oct 15, 2018
charlesemeka85:
Nigeria's delegation to Tuesday's 2019 Africa Cup of Nations qualifying match between the Super Eagles and the Mediterranean Knights of Libya landed safely in the Tunisian city of Sfax on Monday evening.

The Max Air aircraft that took off from Uyo and had a stop –over in Kano to refuel touched down at the Sfax Airport at 4pm Tunisia time (same as Nigeria) and the players and team officials immediately headed to their Zeitouna Hotel abode for a short rest before the official training session.

The delegation, led by NFF 1st Vice President, Barrister Seyi Akinwunmi, also included 2nd Vice President Shehu Dikko and Executive Board members Ibrahim Musa Gusau, Yusuf Ahmed 'Fresh' and Emmanuel Ibah.

There were also immediate past NFF President, Alhaji Aminu Maigari, former top official of the Youth and Sports Ministry, Alhaji Abba Abdullahi Yola (also Chairman of the NFF Technical Study Group), Alhaji Mainasara Illo and some members of NFF Management led by the Director of Competitions, Mr. Ayobola Oyeyode.

A couple of Members of the NFF Congress, some NFF Staff, a few representatives of the media and some members of the Nigeria Football Supporters Club were also on board.

The three –time African champions, 4-0 winners of the first leg encounter in Uyo on Saturday, trained for one hour at the Stade Taïeb Mhiri ahead of Tuesday's big clash.

A win for Nigeria on Tuesday would take the Super Eagles much closer to a place at the 2019 AFCON finals to be staged in Cameroon, and the words of leader of delegation Seyi Akinwunmi was ringing in the players' ears as they trained.

"We have come here determined to pick the three points at stake and make the road much smoother for us towards Cameroon 2019. The players did a great job in Uyo on Saturday and all they need is step up a gear here and amass another three points.

"We have confidence in the players that we have here, as well as the technical crew, and we believe they will do the job."

Nigeria lie second on the Group E table with six points, one less than leaders South Africa, ahead of Tuesday's Matchday 4 battles. South Africa are also away, to Seychelles in Mahe Island on Tuesday.

Match officials for the encounter in Sfax are already in town for the game starting at 7pm Tunisia time (same time as Nigeria), with Botswanan official Joshua Bondo as the referee.

We should get a bit of Tunisian support at least because Kingsley Sokari play's at this stadium. The Botswanan referee has been poor lately and was brought up on soccer Africa so I hope his poor form doesn't continue tomorrow
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 10:51pm On Oct 15, 2018
SlayerForever:

Bros, take it easy. It's just an harmless opinion.

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2019

Take a look at the Football leagues ranking by uefa

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by sontoly: 10:51pm On Oct 15, 2018
We Nigerians always hate what we have, assuming Ibe was still in Liverpool he would have been better than all of our wingers combined, or agbonlahor, calton cole, sammy.

The emphasis is, lookman or who ever FB out there is not better than what we have, this is not overhyping our players, this is pure truth, what is killing us is administrative problem not individual talents. French squad is made of approx 70% black, assuming its an african nation they wont pass the QF.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 10:53pm On Oct 15, 2018
SlayerForever:

Also take a look at club rankings.

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/club/#/yr/2019
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by sontoly: 10:54pm On Oct 15, 2018
komekn:

I do not.

I watched him play against lowly Rangers and for the time he came on albeit it not more than 15 minutes if I'm right. He simply was not outstanding.

You watch against Rangers but didn't watch his latest match against Lokomotiv Moscow, he is a developing talent and improving with time

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 10:58pm On Oct 15, 2018
he should start with the u20 team then graduate to the u23 before been drafted into the team. no need for the rush
komekn:

I do not.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SlayerForever: 11:11pm On Oct 15, 2018
darkelf:

Bros, take it easy. It's just an harmless opinion.

https://www.uefa.com/memberassociations/uefarankings/country/#/yr/2019

Take a look at the Football leagues ranking by uefa

No. You got it all wrong to say they play in a weaker league so they qualify all the time. No. The top teams asides PSG are nearly evenly matched. Add to that, Ligue 1 has only ONE single spot for Europa. Just ONE! This means once they miss top 3 (Champions League) spots Bordeaux has to battle the likes of St. Etienne,Lyon,Rennes,Lille,Montpellier et al for that single (4th place) Europa spot! It's no mean feat. Hence,the perspective of your statement is wrong.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 11:14pm On Oct 15, 2018
I wanna see Moses Odubajo in that RB soon to push Aina for that starting spot, till Tyrone comes back. Shehu is so dodgy that when he has the ball at his feet, he treats it with the tension of a man kicking a live grenade along the ground. He should not be an option

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 11:21pm On Oct 15, 2018
cc12:

I am tipping him and Ojo to be big hits in that Eagles RW position. A left footed RWinger is always a plus.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:38pm On Oct 15, 2018
This might sound weird but I would like to see Musa, Henry, Kalu and Collins in a relay race. These guys have pace to burn I could even add Success but those 4 are fast mehn. Which goes to my point. I would like to see more 2 sport athletes emerging from Nigeria. I feel it is a big shame to only know about one sport and it limits creativity in players. I would love to see wingers who also run 100 meters or keepers who play basketball. The NFF should work with other federations on this because after all everybody can't play professional football in the future.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 11:39pm On Oct 15, 2018
MetalJigsaw:
Then you don't know shiit about Samuel Kalu. Bordeaux and Everton are both at par. Even the French team has appeared in more Eurapa competitions than Everton so what are you spewing?
I've watched Samuel Kalu. If you think as of 2018 that Everton and Bordeaux are on the same level, then I don't know what to say.
Bordeaux is on Burnley's level. This isn't a history lesson.
Samuel Kalu has potential but he will be lucky to make Everton's bench.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:40pm On Oct 15, 2018
ChrisKels:
I wanna see Moses Odubajo in that RB soon to push Aina for that starting spot, till Tyrone comes back. Shehu is so dodgy that when he has the ball at his feet, he treats it with the tension of a man kicking a live grenade along the ground. He should not be an option

Shehu was the most lively player on the pitch before his injury.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:41pm On Oct 15, 2018
ChrisKels:
Santi Carzola on Villarreal tenage sensation, Sammy Chukwueze;

” He is young and willing to learn and that will help his career here at Villarreal and maybe even further. The reason why he is here(the Villarreal first team) is because he is very special . The hard work starts now for him and other young players in the team”

That's a good one.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 11:41pm On Oct 15, 2018
krattoss:
sigurdson is the only name am seeing there, and if kalu should come to everton, he {sigurdson} will switch to his attacking midfield role.

The rest are just there.. They I'll even learn football from samuel kalu.
This is a big joke. If Bordeaux could afford Bernard and Lookman's wages and salaries, they'd go for him before they even look Kalu's way.
Lepzig couldn't even get Lookman for 25m.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:51pm On Oct 15, 2018
charlesemeka85:
he should start with the u20 team then graduate to the u23 before been drafted into the team. no need for the rush

Do you mean even if he plays 24/7 and score 12 for Villarreal in the la Liga, we should still send him to U20 just to follow protocol? grin

I disagree. grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 11:52pm On Oct 15, 2018
SlayerForever:

No. You got it all wrong to say they play in a weaker league so they qualify all the time. No. The top teams asides PSG are nearly evenly matched. Add to that, Ligue 1 has only ONE single spot for Europa. Just ONE! This means once they miss top 3 (Champions League) spots Bordeaux has to battle the likes of St. Etienne,Lyon,Rennes,Lille,Montpellier et al for that single (4th place) Europa spot! It's no mean feat. Hence,the perspective of your statement is wrong.

Everton had to battle Arsenal, Burnley, Leicester, Chelsea et al for that position.

Which then is harder?

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:14am On Oct 16, 2018
Danielnino00:

Seriously??

You think football is all.about dribbling??
How many career goals does Kalu have? How many assist? how.many trophies? In fact how many years has he spent as a professional footballer?

You better hold your excitement.. Kalu still has a long way to go... . Over hyping him at this stage of his career won't help anything...
ain't hyping no one bro.. Just maintaining that kalu will walk into everton team with little or no competition..
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:21am On Oct 16, 2018
edi287:

This is a big joke. If Bordeaux could afford Bernard and Lookman's wages and salaries, they'd go for him before they even look Kalu's way.
Lepzig couldn't even get Lookman for 25m.
neither of the players u called can walk into Bordeaux 1st eleven..
Leipzig not getting lookman do 25 mil donsnt mean shiit.. Clubs has been rejecting bills and huge sums of money for their players for obvious reasons known to them.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SlayerForever: 12:24am On Oct 16, 2018
darkelf:

Everton had to battle Arsenal, Burnley, Leicester, Chelsea et al for that position.

Which then is harder?

Haha,so that's how you're looking at it. Now I get. Both are different leagues and have their own difficulties. It is just as difficult for Bordeaux in France as it is for Everton in England.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SlayerForever: 12:28am On Oct 16, 2018
edi287:

I've watched Samuel Kalu. If you think as of 2018 that Everton and Bordeaux are on the same level, then I don't know what to say.
Bordeaux is on Burnley's level. This isn't a history lesson.
Samuel Kalu has potential but he will be lucky to make Everton's bench.

Bordeaux and Everton are on the same level. How can you compare Bordeaux with Burnley? Haha I feel like laughing: That's a joke but it's not funny.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:50am On Oct 16, 2018
Four Super Eagles who must up their game against Libya

Solace Chukwu Correspondent

Despite an impressive victory on Saturday, there's plenty scope for improvement with some of Nigeria's individual performances

There really is not a lot to quibble with after a 4-0 win. The scoreline may have slightly flattered the Super Eagles on the day, but the resounding win against Libya means Nigeria once again is in control of her destiny in Africa Cup of Nations qualifying.

That is not, of course, to say that the performance was entirely without flaws. Gernot Rohr's men were the better side, but did not always show it, and had their feathers ruffled on occasion by a side grappling with the loss of their brash former coach Adel Amrouche.

Which Super Eagle still has the most room for improvement between now and the Africa Cup of Nations? With the return leg to come on Tuesday, there is the understanding that some sort of result is required to consolidate second spot and stay on track. As such, it is imperative that some members of the team raise their game in Tunisia.

SAMUEL KALU

The Bordeaux man, earning only his second cap, was certainly eager to make an impression.

That spilled over into his performance, which was riddled with individualism and poor decision-making.

At times, he seemed on a personal crusade, over-complicating simple moves by taking superfluous touches, running the ball out of play while attempting one more dribble, opting for the shot when the pass was clearly the better option, and over-hitting crosses.

He would eventually hit the mark, with his late strike being the pick of the bunch. However, it was a truly wasteful showing, and he would do well to simplify and pick his moments in the return.

OGHENEKARO ETEBO

Etebo is perhaps a victim of his own versatility. A true Jack of all trades in midfield, he was asked to function in perhaps the least optimal role, given his skill set.

The former Warri Wolves man is a lot of things, but a deep playmaker he is not. He was very fortunate not to be booked, as he was caught out of position on a few occasions. On the ball, he also possesses none of the guile or vision required to create passing angles and adjust his body shape to play forward passes.

At his best, Etebo excels powering forward, using his immense upper-body strength to drive his team up the pitch. If, however, Rohr continues to task him with this duty, he will need to show more than he did in Uyo.

AHMED MUSA

Team vice-captain Musa has enjoyed a real resurgence in the last five months. His star turn at the World Cup seems to have given him a new lease on life, and he followed that up by firing the Super Eagles into the lead, via the goalkeeper, against Seychelles.

The first leg, however, seemed a return to the old Musa: anonymous and ineffectual. He was not helped by the fact he was stationed quite a bit on the right rather than the left, of course. Still though, much more was justifiably expected of him than he offered on the day.

With Ighalo leading the line alone, Musa is one of the auxiliary attacking outlets of the team, and he could do better in terms of getting into goalscoring positions inside the box.

HENRY ONYEKURU

The forward only had a cameo off the bench, but it certainly was an eventful one. He might have scored twice in his brief period on the pitch, but for a couple of heavy touches when put through on goal.

Much is expected of Onyekuru, a player of immense potential. However, if he intends to force his way into the reckoning for a regular starting place with the national team, he must become more efficient.

Musa, who is his direct competitor for a place in the squad, already has a lot of credit with the technical crew.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/four-super-eagles-who-must-up-their-game-against-libya/zwo63r3m05tr1cy3ye9dn4e66

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 1:05am On Oct 16, 2018
SlayerForever:

Bordeaux and Everton are on the same level. How can you compare Bordeaux with Burnley? Haha I feel like laughing: That's a joke but it's not funny.
No they are not. As of 2018, Everton is far ahead of Bordeaux. They can buy their best player without blinking an eye.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 1:06am On Oct 16, 2018
krattoss:
neither of the players u called can walk into Bordeaux 1st eleven..
Leipzig not getting lookman do 25 mil donsnt mean shiit.. Clubs has been rejecting bills and huge sums of money for their players for obvious reasons known to them.
Lookman and Bernard walks into their first 11. Who and who is in Bordeaux?? Who is their star player??

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by darkelf: 1:26am On Oct 16, 2018
Samuel Kalu at his current level would warm the bench consistently for Everton

#fact

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by somehow: 2:14am On Oct 16, 2018
So Everton is better because they can buy Bordeaux player without blinking an eye?

Man City is better than Barcelona then since they can buy Barcelona's players without blinking an eye.

edi287:

No they are not. As of 2018, Everton is far ahead of Bordeaux. They can buy their best player without blinking an eye.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:01am On Oct 16, 2018
edi287:

Lookman and Bernard walks into their first 11. Who and who is in Bordeaux?? Who is their star player??
just because u re familiar with EPL doesn't mean other leagues are shiit.
Bordeaux will trash everton and his cohorts any day anytime.

Benerd and lookman still remain amateur to kamano and s. Kalu.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (4924) (4925) (4926) (4927) (4928) (4929) (4930) ... (16234) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: camri and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.