Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,268 members, 7,815,446 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:36 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (5081) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11647855 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5078) (5079) (5080) (5081) (5082) (5083) (5084) ... (16145) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:32am On Nov 12, 2018
komekn:
Once again the topic of Chuks Aneke has come up. Why ❓ outstanding stand out player in club and league.

Chuks Aneke voted best player in league two for the month. He us supposed to be an AM but it seems he is being played as a striker quite a often. Can he do it a higher level, I don't know, I think he us not fast enough, I guess it's a question of opportunity. But the quality is not in doubt

https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/sport/football/mk-dons/chuks-aneke-and-paul-tisdale-in-line-for-monthly-awards-1-8693682

Good for Chuks... But sorry, the super eagles hasn't degraded to the extent that we will be calling up players from division 4 leagues...

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kellycute(m): 10:52am On Nov 12, 2018
komekn:

One question how many goals has he scored in the EPL in his now third season ❓ That's my response.

The comparison to Solanke is irrelevant and has no bearing on the discussion.

stop twisting the truth bro. You keep harping on “three season” when ever you wanna downgrad the lad. Let me ask you one simple question.. how many match has he played all through the season? You forgot he was injured for months and at a time went back to Spain on loan. Anyway just answer that simple question. Thank
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:52am On Nov 12, 2018
Mfon Udoh..Juwon Oshaniwa and Theo Afelokhai have signed for Akwa United!

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 11:22am On Nov 12, 2018
komekn:
Once again the topic of Chuks Aneke has come up. Why ❓ outstanding stand out player in club and league.

Chuks Aneke voted best player in league two for the month. He us supposed to be an AM but it seems he is being played as a striker quite a often. Can he do it a higher level, I don't know, I think he us not fast enough, I guess it's a question of opportunity. But the quality is not in doubt

You probably don't like the Chuks guy like I do, but playing in the league2? come on.

If he can't play his way to the championship, let him forget about national team football.

He should have answered Siasia's call, he refused now look where he is.

Don't tell me you know more about the situation than I do, if you're not willing to tell me what you know.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 11:25am On Nov 12, 2018
kellycute:
stop twisting the truth bro. You keep harping on “three season” when ever you wanna downgrad the lad. Let me ask you one simple question.. how many match has he played all through the season? You forgot he was injured for months and at a time went back to Spain on loan. Anyway just answer that simple question. Thank

I've corrected him before.

But Komekn be like person wey dem knack am plank for neck, him no fit turn, if na front him dey look.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:40am On Nov 12, 2018
Danielnino00:
Mfon Udoh..Juwon Oshaniwa and Theo Afelokhai have signed for Akwa United!

Chai see how Akwa is stripping the most professional club in Nigeria off of their best players grin Oga Icon4s naa joke I dey joke o no history lessons biko grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:43pm On Nov 12, 2018
The heat is on folka cheesy cheesy

So after all we aint the only ones that got bad bloods and hate cheesy

The southies has gone south even when we ain't started cheesy

1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:46pm On Nov 12, 2018
Just decided to throw some little granades in their already disarrayed camps and sneak out grin grin

But ain't started yet... grin

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 1:36pm On Nov 12, 2018
Watching the Higher institution football league finals on supersports.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 1:49pm On Nov 12, 2018
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:18pm On Nov 12, 2018
tbaba1234:
Joel Obi's goal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPJ5qU7dhn8

Sexy head's up finish
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 2:24pm On Nov 12, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

Chai see how Akwa is stripping the most professional club in Nigeria off of their best players grin Oga Icon4s naa joke I dey joke o no history lessons biko grin

Mtcheew...

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 2:30pm On Nov 12, 2018
Icon4s:

Mtcheew...

grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 2:32pm On Nov 12, 2018
Our own man Ekong made it to Serie A team of the Week.

Well done Kingkong

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 2:35pm On Nov 12, 2018
In the other news, The new boy on Block Chukwueze and Omeruo Linked up With Brian Idowo at the Airport in Germany.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mazimee(m): 2:41pm On Nov 12, 2018
Super Eagles Left Back Jamilu Collins Linked With Move To Bundesliga Side Stuttgart FC

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 3:06pm On Nov 12, 2018
krattoss:
Just decided to throw some little granades in their already disarrayed camps and sneak out grin grin

But ain't started yet... grin

You had it in mind not to conceal your identity.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:14pm On Nov 12, 2018
tbaba1234:
Onuachu with another goal..

44 goals in 128 careers appearances cool. I just wish he would join another league like other monikers said.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 3:35pm On Nov 12, 2018
just read an interesting article on the omeruo replacing balogun debate please click the link

https://www.goal.com/en-ng/news/does-baloguns-brighton-inactivity-affect-rohrs-squad/1dqszdksh8n8n1880iosw64dwe
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 3:42pm On Nov 12, 2018
Projecting Nigeria's Starting XI Versus South Africa In AFCON Qualifier
allnigeriasoccer.com Monday, November 12, 2018 12:27

he Super Eagles of Nigeria will seek to qualify for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations with a win against the formidable Bafana Bafana of South Africa at the FNB Stadium in Johannesburg on Saturday.

South Africa defeated Nigeria 2-0 in the reverse fixture in June 2017 and will hope to make it two wins over the Super Eagles.

Izuchukwu Okosi in this piece runs the rule on the likely starting XI that head coach Gernot Rohr will parade this weekend in the match which could guarantee Nigeria's passage to next year's AFCON in Cameroon.
Goalkeeper

Chippa United goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi was the only goalkeeper among the three (including Ikechukwu Ezenwa and Theophilus Afelokhai) named for the South Africa game that was in action for his club over the weekend.

Akpeyi was impressive in Chippa's 0-0 away draw against Kaizer Chiefs on Saturday and that could hand him a starting place as the duo of Ezenwa and Afelokhai has not been in league action for Enyimba - their club were knocked out of the CAF Confederation Cup.

Defenders

Semi Ajayi (Right back)

Rotherham right back Semi Ajayi is likely to get the nod to play at the right back position as Gernot Rohr would like to have an experienced player as back up for the duo of  central defensive pair of William Troost Ekong and Leon Balogun in Kenneth Omeruo who is adept at playing at right back.

Ajayi is good defensively and going forward to deliver crosses and a good performance in the absence of injured Shehu Abdullahi could see him get more opportunities.

Jamiliu Collins (Left back)

Paderborn of Germany left back Jamiliu Collins impressed Nigerians with his performances against Libya in the double header in October and the name 'Elderson Echiejile' is fast fading away in the minds if Nigeria football faithful.

Collins' recovery rate is encouraging and is not easily get past by forwards.

Collins is a natural left back player and surely should be considered for the position ahead of 'converted' right footed left back Brian Idowu.

Central Defense

William Troost Ekong

Udinese defender William Troost Ekong will be one of the central defensive duo in the game for Nigeria on Saturday.

A consistent player for the Eagles who has had more impressive displays than the poor ones, Ekong will pair up with Leon Balogun whom he has struck a great understanding with.

Leon Balogun

Brighton and Hove defender Leon Balogun has not been playing in most of his Premier League's club's games thus far this season but nonetheless will get the nod to play at the centre back position as Rohr rarely tweaks his personnel.

His understanding with Ekong will be vital on Saturday and hopefully his lack of game time in England will inspire him to play one of his best games for his country.

Midfielders

John Ogu (Defensive Midfielder)

The Super Eagles will be without Leicester City's Wilfred Ndidi due to suspension and Hapoel Be'er Sheva's John Ogu is likely to be deployed in the defensive midfield role.

Ogu's fans have been baying for a regular place in the team for the midfielder and Saturday's clash will provide an opportunity for him to justify his place.

Ogu's starting place could come at a cost for Porto's Mikel Agu who has not particularly impressed most Nigerian fans.

Oghenekaro Etebo ( Central Midfielder)

Stoke City midfielder Etebo who recently turned 23 will be the box to box midfielder for Nigeria on Saturday.

Etebo's energy and ability to keep the ball will be key in Nigeria's midfield. He is unquestionably one of Nigeria's key players.

Only injury, suspension or disciplinary issues off the field could see Etebo miss out from the Eagles. That is how important he is to this team.

Alex Iwobi (Attacking Midfield)

Arsenal forward Alex Iwobi is touted as the much sought after successor to his uncle, Austin Jay Jay Okocha.

The 22 years old is comfortable playing in wide positions which he does so efficiently at his club but considers the attacking midfield role as his best position to flourish.

In the absence of injured captain John Mikel Obi, Iwobi is the most skillful midfield player available to Rohr.

Iwobi's passes and runs in the middle will open up spaces for the forwards to do their business. The middle is arguably Iwobi's best position for Nigeria and perhaps in the future for his London club as well.

Attackers

Ahmed Musa (Left winger)

Super Eagles captain in the absence of Mikel Obi Ahmed Musa has been in great form scoring twice against Libya in October and will be influential as always.

Musa's starting place on either the left or right side of attack this weekend barring any last minute injury is a given and will definitely be a threat to the South African defence with his searing pace, nimble footedness and assured finish.

Musa has been in devastating form from the left side of attack, cutting inside to unleash shots or waltz his way to opposition goal area with his mazy dribbling skills.

Musa's 2018 World Cup form where he scored a brace against Iceland and the matches with Seychelles and Libya in the 2019 AFCON qualifiers will have fans drooling at what he could yet do again against the cocky South Africans.

Samuel Kalu (Right winger)

Bordeaux wing wizard Samuel Kalu is expected to occupy one of the three attacking positions for the Super Eagles.

Kalu has been a welcome inclusion in the Eagles following the international retirement of former Chelsea regular under erstwhile manager Antonio Conte, Victor Moses.

Kalu is another player whose speed on the flanks will cause all sorts of nightmares for the South African defenders but he tends to showboat at times when being selfless could be in the best interest of the team.

He needs to cut that out of his game. Kalu, if fit, will start ahead of Levante's Moses Simon who continues to get back to his fittest best.

Isaac Success (Striker)

Watford striker Isaac Success has been enjoying a run of games for his Premier League side of late and could start as the striker on Saturday.

Top scorer in the 2019 AFCON qualification campaign with five goals in three games Odion Ighalo is injured so misses out quite regretfully for this massive game but in Success Rohr has a player whose style of play mirrors that of the Changchun Yatai striker.

Galatasaray striker Henry Onyekuru is also on red hot form and helped himself to a brace over the weekend but Rohr is a  man who trusts in his regular players so Onyekuru will likely come off the bench in the game unless he proves to the former Burkina Faso coach in training that he deserves to start ahead of Success.

Izuchukwu Okosi
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 3:54pm On Nov 12, 2018
junnyjake:

You had it in mind not to conceal your identity.
nop,
I care less about my identity.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SlayerForever: 3:54pm On Nov 12, 2018
Excellent weekend past for the lads! These boys are doing very good at their respective clubs churning out good. When going into a crucial tie (like against S.A) it's best the boys come in in good form. Very good for their confidence.

Our boys did well generally however these particular guys did especially well.
Henry Onyekuru✓
Samuel Chukwueze✓
Troost-Ekong✓
Victor Osimhen✓
Ahmed Musa✓

Worthy mentions for:
Stephen Odey✓
Blessing Eleke✓
Chisom Egbuchalam
Paul Onuachu✓

Also,we welcome Sarenren Bazee back to playing football. Hope Ighalo and Uzoho can get back soonest.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 3:58pm On Nov 12, 2018
John Lazarus will compete in the CAF champions league with Lobi Stars.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 4:03pm On Nov 12, 2018
I would like to see Ighalo on a legitimate contender. He has been with struggling clubs his whole career I would like to see how how does with a big team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:05pm On Nov 12, 2018
OPPONENT WATCH

'We do not fear Nigeria‚' says Bafana coach Stuart Baxter ahead of Afcon showdown
12 November 2018 - 17:10
BY MNINAWA NTLOKO

Bafana Bafana coach Stuart Baxter says he holds no fear over facing Nigeria as the countdown to the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations (Afcon) showdown against the West Africans at FNB Stadium on Saturday continues.

The Briton said he expects the visitors to have vengeance on their minds when they arrive in Johannesburg this week after unexpectedly going down 2-0 to Bafana at home in Uyo in his maiden match in his second stint at the helm as coach in June last year.

‘‘We do have Nigeria first‚ in the small matter of an African Nations Cup qualifier‚” the Briton said on Monday.

‘‘Everybody knows the list of injuries that we have had.

‘‘Everybody knows what I said in the first press conference (a week ago) that despite that (the injuries) I want to speak about the players that we do have because even though we respect Nigeria we do not fear them.

‘‘I think we have still enough talent‚ enough desire and if we can structure a game plan in the next three or four days‚ I think by the time we run out onto the FNB Stadium we would be confident‚ we would not be complacent‚ because Nigeria have just come from a (2018) World Cup (in Russia).

‘‘They are undefeated since we beat them the last time (in the first qualifier in June last year) and they will certainly want to wreak their revenge.

‘‘So‚ we will be ready and I still believe that we have a very good chance of getting the result that we need.”

Baxter revealed that Bafana had injury scares to Holland-based midfielder Thulani Serero and SuperSport United goalkeeper Ronwen Williams.

‘‘The ultrasound did not find any tears but it will take him (Williams) I think 24 to 48 hours for it (slight knee strain) to settle‚” he said.

‘‘So he won’t be training with us for the 48 hours and we hope it (the injury) will settle. So that is a little bit of a scare but we will not call in a third keeper and we will keep Ronwen because I think he will be okay.

‘‘The second one is Thulani Serero. We did not receive anything from the club about Thulani but through media reports in Holland.

‘‘They said he had an ankle injury. We knew he was on the plane but we did not know anything about the injury.

‘‘So we held or breaths a little bit.

"When he got off (the plane) he said had a laceration‚ five stitches and a gash. The stitches should come off (on Monday)‚ easy training (on Monday) and he should be okay for full training (on Tuesday).

‘‘We did after that get a doctor’s report from Holland. So those two are not okay (on Monday) but they should be okay in the next 24 to 48 hours.”

Bafana have a tough schedule in the coming days as after hosting the Nigerians in Johannesburg on Saturday‚ they will then travel to Durban’s Moses Mabhida Stadium to welcome Paraguay in the Nelson Mandela Challenge on Tuesday.

—TimesLive.co.za
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:10pm On Nov 12, 2018
Rohr banks on Chukwueze, Success to wreck South Africa

The fine form of Nigerian players based abroad is part of what coach Gernot Rohr is hoping will help them beat South Africa in the AFCON 2019 Qualifiers. South Africa will host Nigeria on the 17th of this month in a group E top of the table clash in the qualifiers for next year Africa Cup of Nations schedule to hold in Cameroon.

Rohr has released his list of players for the game and aside his match strategy and tactics which he is hoping will give his team an edge in the game, the form of the various players invited for the game is giving him joy.

The coach said if the players keep up their form and shape till they arrive for the game, then victory over South Africa will be a huge possibility for the Super Eagles.

“I watch some of their games with their respective clubs and I am impressed with their performance.. I also read or listen to the good comments they get in newspapers, radio and television. I am happy they hit top form ahead of the game with South Africa.”

Speaking on Chukwueze, Rohr said, “Chukwueze has a good left foot‚ is quick‚ has a low centre of gravity‚ which gives him a very good balance‚ and can deliver and score‚” Rohr said.

“We need a player like him to give us balance in attack and he can also play through the middle.”

The 19-year-old scored against Almería on what was his domestic debut for Villarreal last week‚ before starting again in the 1-1 draw with Levante at the weekend.

“If they continue like this, they will make the game against South Africa a bit easier,” Rohr remarked.

“I am thrilled with the playing time my players are getting in their clubs in Europe. They not only playing regularly, they are in good form and that is what I demand from them every week. They are doing very good and that is very well for us moving forward,” he concluded.

—VanguardNews

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:10pm On Nov 12, 2018
komekn:

https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/sport/football/mk-dons/chuks-aneke-and-paul-tisdale-in-line-for-monthly-awards-1-8693682

Great topic sir. I suggest the instigator of the topic should discuss the topic alone for now. Quite an interesting topic but its better discussed by you and for you alone sir.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 6:12pm On Nov 12, 2018
Eagles know how to beat Bafana Bafana -Omeruo

Kenneth Omeruo has assured fans that the Super Eagles will triumph over South Africa in next Saturday’s crunch 2019 AFCON qualifier. The Leganes defender hinges his confidence on the better head-to-head record Nigeria have over their opponents. Although the Eagles will be away at FNB Stadium, Johannesburg, in the Africa Cup of Nations decisive qualifier, Omeruo, who played for Nigeria at the 2014 and 2018 World Cup tournament is staying upbeat for maximum points. Omeruo, who is on loan at Leganes from Chelsea, said the Eagles’ technical crew, led by Gernot Rohr, has given them enough clues of how to beat their hosts.

Omeruo recounted how South Africa handed Rohr his first defeat as Eagles’ coach, while also notching their first ever victory against Nigeria during the first leg in Uyo, but stressed that the story would be different next on November 17. Charting a course into the match at Soccer City, Omeruo stressed that the Eagles would win in Johannesburg to reclaim pride after losing the first leg 2-0 at home in June last year.

Omeruo declared: “The game against South Africa is a very important one because it’s a game we have to win, not just for our pride, but also for the country and to put us back in the Nations Cup come next year. “The technical crew provide us with more than enough to know our opponents very well – how they play and how they move around. “We have capable players to win this game; it doesn’t matter where we are playing, we are going to give everything to get maximum points.”

—NewTelegraph
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 6:16pm On Nov 12, 2018
tbaba1234:
Joel Obi's goal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPJ5qU7dhn8
Life including football is unfair, chai dat one too na goal for Joel obi?? Well what else can we call it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by DrLikita12(f): 6:17pm On Nov 12, 2018
BascoVanVeli:
Watching the Higher institution football league finals on supersports.
What's the quality like?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 6:26pm On Nov 12, 2018
BascoVanVeli:

With better wages and playing conditions.. we can keep our best legs in the league from going to obscure leagues in. eastern Europe..

Its either Udoh, Oshaniwa and Theo can't get offers outside Nigeria or Akwa united have offered them good money.

You live.in Uyo I assume...do u know how. much Akwa united pay their players ?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5078) (5079) (5080) (5081) (5082) (5083) (5084) ... (16145) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: CaptainStephen(m), morhsuud22(m), Christinu2, lovewins, Neobulletzz(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.