Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,909 members, 7,852,053 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 12:06 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (5175) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11877835 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5172) (5173) (5174) (5175) (5176) (5177) (5178) ... (16252) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 9:29pm On Nov 26, 2018
komekn:

Firstly, you have chosen to be completely ignorant of the specific time lines. I am not sure why, maybe to mislead

From 2012/13 until 2017/18 season Iorfa has been playing non stop in the Championship
. So what do you mean by 3/4 years ago. Is that not misrepresentation and deception

I gave multiple example tied to time lines.

I'm not you, I reject to be you, stop trying to make me you. I'm Jake, and i'm going to do Jake.

I gave a range which very much capture the essence of what i'm trying to say. And if you don't like it, you can do whatever the hell you want.

There are two major time lines here. Which you failed to mention. NFF called on him when he was well under U21 he explained very clearly he could not commit.

Why ❓ long term contractual obligation not confirmed with club, two he was already involved deeply with England U21, three he had Arsenal, West ham and Southampton to mention a few - https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2016/06/06/report-wolves-dominic-iorfa-prefers-a-move-to-west-ham/

Whose problem is that? It's definitely not mine, when the opportunity came for him, he never availed himself, whatever the reasons are, it don't matter

Four, he was being courted by England first team. As you should know all these components add market value to your profile and you use them as leverage to get the best contract you can. He was open, honest and transparent. So to avoid negative English media speculation he said he will commit when he is 23. He was playing the game as you do but to Nigeria's favour.

Still don't see how this is a bother to me.

Once his long term future was settled Wolves refused to sell him to all the EPL clubs. Assured him very strongly he had a bright future at Wolves, there was no reason to doubt. He had already played over 70 first team games, confirmed first team regular, he therefore signed with Wolves.

He's played over 70 games, the streak i'm broken, it's left for him to pick up both ends and see what he can make of his career, I can't do that for him.

Early 2017 he was 21 years old, he broke commitment to England and made commitment to NFF. Rohr came to see him he was hot property. That discussion did not materialise in a call up despite assurances. Why ❓ ask Rohr or the NFF.

Congratulations to the young man, but unfortunately, some opportunities come but once in a lifetime, you miss it for whatever reason, it's totally on you, life ain't fair.

Unfortunately quite shockingly unexpected Mendes in 3017 took over the club brought in Nuno and EVERYTHING CHANGED. The business model excluded Dominic not his football.

The 2018 /19 first time in his career he has not played first team football. He is still a Wolves player, l doubt they will let him play because it will upset the business model, if he plays too well.

You want me cry about that? Everybody is supposed to have a preference right? Iheanacho despite scoring for Man City was not good enough for Pep. What can a man do?

Just like Sakho he remains active playing U23 where he has been outstanding but still ignored.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/Dominic-iorfa-sends-message-nuno-15196162

When he does a Sakho, then we have something to talk about.

We have had players not making the bench but still invited to the SE. So where is the double standard and who is being bigoted. You avoid the historical factual actions that have brought us to this stage.

Name a player who made his debut for the SE despite not making the bench in his team?

Any player who's in that category is probably an indisputable member of the team, going through a rough patch, whose quality is known.

Besides, I don't support that practice, all players playing in the National Team should be playing at a regular basis even if not consistent.

You avoid facts and hold on too sentimental straws.

Young man, you accuse me of what you, yourself are guilty of.

You trying to evade my points about opportunity and Ekong taking the spot that was made for him and the insensibility of inviting a player who's not playing in place of someone who's currently playing just because he was good just about sums it up.
I believe, if Iorfa was playing, and doing well, I wouldn't see why Ajayi would be invited in his stead, another window of opportunity shut at the young man. I'm sympathetic at this moment.

Should he be invited now ❓ Or we should wait till he gets a Premier club in January.

When Costa didn't play for Chelsea for how many months because of dispute with the Manager, did Spain forget him question

If he can't get his asš playing football at a decent level, then he should forget about invites for now, except you're of some clairvoyant personality, there's no way you can tell of his case can turn out to be similar to that of Costa.

Who is showing double hypocrite bigoted standard
[/quote]

Komekn, you can call me anything you want, but we all know who you are here.

So just face front. ¡Jajajaha! my laugh in español.

1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:30pm On Nov 26, 2018
ChrisKels:

Yea buh he doesn't look out of shape for a championship player though for his standard he still has to brush up some rough edges. That will come with time though, BTW, the next gathering of the Eagles is in March 2019.

That will be interesting.

A number of players would have stepped up. Considering that most national teams are selected on club form.

Also a number of players would have stepped down, that's football.

Let's see how much fair play and balanced approach to selection will be revealed by the NFF.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 9:32pm On Nov 26, 2018
mbjane:

In phyno Voice GHOST MODE. How things chief hope all is well
A been think say u forgot ya password.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 9:37pm On Nov 26, 2018
Danielnino00:

The keyword here is opportunity... Most EPL clubs are financially stable to the extent that they no longer look forward to their academy for new players.. Most academy players in big clubs like city and Chelsea won't give their youngsters enough playing time.. The German and Italian league will offer them that..
Imagine if Pogba hadn't left man utd...his career could have just died

Agreed without reservation.

But l will add that a hungry man is a determined man.

Some of these academy boys are on insane money £20k a week as a 17 year old can derail you if you do not have strong family support. Indiscipline can set in and motivation lost.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 9:37pm On Nov 26, 2018
andrew444:

Same things goes to jordan sancho he mentioned

I have already given him list of michu david silva and other players

I thought u were referring to players who couldn't get game time in other leagues and later tore the EPL apart..Jadon Sancho came from Man city academy to Dortmund after an impressive u-17 world cup and he is doing well..Fabregas and Bellerin on the other hand went from Barca academy to arsenal academy before being promoted to the first team.. Under Wenger, Arsenal promoted a lot of academy players to the first team..
My support for Komekn's argument has to do with the fact that many EPL teams these days don't give young players enough first team opportunity,but they can get such opportunities elsewhere and shine...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:43pm On Nov 26, 2018
Danielnino00:

I thought u were referring to players who couldn't get game time in other leagues and later tore the EPL apart..Jadon Sancho came from Man city academy to Dortmund after an impressive u-17 world cup and he is doing well..Fabregas and Bellerin on the other hand went from Barca academy to arsenal academy before being promoted to the first team.. Under Wenger, Arsenal promoted a lot of academy players to the first team..
My support for Komekn's argument has to do with the fact that many EPL teams these days don't give young players enough first team opportunity,but they can get such opportunities elsewhere and shine...

I hope you know that Fabregas was not in the academy for upto two months before breaking into the first team. I do not think we can categorise that as academy football. He was ready but needed to learn the language and adapt to his new surroundings.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 9:57pm On Nov 26, 2018
Danielnino00:

I agree with you bro
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:00pm On Nov 26, 2018
Arsenal just installed a 3MV facility to help power the Emirates stadium for a match time's period. Can this be introduced to our stadiums, if they don't have it yet?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:06pm On Nov 26, 2018
daveP:
Arsenal just installed a 3MV facility to help power the Emirates stadium for a match time's period. Can this be introduced to our stadiums, if they don't have it yet?
Will this make Arsenal win the EPL this season? Else I don't care.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 10:08pm On Nov 26, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

I hope you know that Fabregas was not in the academy for upto two months before breaking into the first team. I do not think we can categorise that as academy football. He was ready but needed to learn the language and adapt to his new surroundings.

From Fela to Sowere?

I'm curious.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 10:10pm On Nov 26, 2018
Heard that phillip azango and taiwo ayoniyi will be demoted to gent b team

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:10pm On Nov 26, 2018
Icon4s:

Will this make Arsenal win the EPL this season? Else I don't care.
Don't tell me you're didn't get why I brought it up o?

NPFL now!!!

Why would I wanna use this as basis. lol.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:14pm On Nov 26, 2018
daveP:
Don't tell me you're didn't get why I brought it up o?

NPFL now!!!

Why would I wanna use this as basis. lol.

You want to compare Arsenal with Enugu Rangers, Lobi Stars abi who sef? Let them please concentrate on building quality pitches first before thinking of purchasing a 3MV facility like Arsenal.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 10:17pm On Nov 26, 2018
Icon4s:

You want to compare Arsenal with Enugu Rangers, Lobi Stars abi who sef? Let them please concentrate on building quality pitches first before thinking of purchasing a 3MV facility like Arsenal.
grin

At least Lil by Lil na. grin

If they can begin to play games in the night, it would be a good sight to behold na.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elyte89: 10:23pm On Nov 26, 2018
andrew444:

Let's file a protest letter to d club...or what do u think chief cool?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 10:31pm On Nov 26, 2018
ChrisKels:
Like I told u guys earlier, Odubajo has come back strongly. I have been following him this season with Brentford, he still has that thing that made him a hit with Hull. I'm glad Rohr has sounded him out, and he would be there in Uyo when we welcome Seychelles

Ebuehi might take his place.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:33pm On Nov 26, 2018
junnyjake:

From Fela to Sowere?

I'm curious.

My conscience pricked me because Sowore has really toiled to make Nigeria better. He has put his life on the line to turn around the country. Protesting since he was young. I think I owe him that much.

That swung my choice to him. Fela Durotoye is great but I think Sowore deserves it because of his courage under fire.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel7(m): 10:40pm On Nov 26, 2018
elyte89:

I'm afraid that will be too gentle for them.

I say we stage a full protest on the streets of Gent threatening fire and fury if those boys are demoted. Don't those Gent people know that those boys are from Nigeria, the giant of Africa?!. How dare them?

Nonsense and demotion.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel7(m): 10:43pm On Nov 26, 2018
Clementoke:

Yes. That's true o
grin grin grin
How could I have forgotten that Idowu will likely be the first casualty in the SE "talent hunt"

If Idowu goes, I won't shed any tears for him.

Dude has been very average for us.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel7(m): 10:45pm On Nov 26, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

My conscience pricked me because Sowore has really toiled to make Nigeria better. He has put his life on the line to turn around the country. Protesting since he was young. I think I owe him that much.

That swung my choice to him. Fela Durotoye is great but I think Sowore deserves it because of his courage under fire.

Don't you know the road to the politics section?.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:51pm On Nov 26, 2018
Curtisaxel7:

Don't you know the road to the politics section?.

Did you not see someone ask me a question? So you want me to reply the person on the politics section.

Funny guy.

Mbok do not make me laugh.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 10:55pm On Nov 26, 2018
andrew444:

I find that very hard to believe.

Awoniyi may not be Drogba but he is still a very good player. He is developing and in good time may come good.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by junnyjake(m): 10:56pm On Nov 26, 2018
TheGoodJoe:

Fair enough, I would have...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 10:59pm On Nov 26, 2018
komekn:

I find that very hard to believe.

Awoniyi may not be Drogba but he is still a very good player. He is developing and in good time may come good.

Awoniyi has been barren in front of goal for Gent. It is not hard to believe. His goal return has never really been good apart from last season
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 11:00pm On Nov 26, 2018
elyte89:

Hehehehe funny you

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 11:16pm On Nov 26, 2018
tbaba1234 have you watched this Iyaji Believe Aitemwen guy?? Came across his highlights on YouTube and he looks decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPIljXtJNto
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 11:58pm On Nov 26, 2018
edi287:
tbaba1234 have you watched this Iyaji Believe Aitemwen guy?? Came across his highlights on YouTube and he looks decent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPIljXtJNto

Decent but would like to see him in a better league.

He was invited for Siasia's under 23 team when he was in Turkey. He was not really outstanding in the Turkish 2nd and 3rd tier.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:24am On Nov 27, 2018
Torino are eager to close a deal for Chelsea fullback Ola Aina.

Torino are considering pulling the trigger on an £7million option to make Chelsea man Aina's loan move permanent.

Aina, who spent last season on loan at Hull, signed a new deal at Stamford Bridge until 2021 in the summer before setting off to Turin for this campaign.

He has impressed new manager Walter Mazzarri, playing 11 games, and Goal.com says they could exercise an option to keep him with the club on a permanent basis.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 1:20am On Nov 27, 2018
I doubt Chelsea will sell
charlesemeka85:
Torino are eager to close a deal for Chelsea fullback Ola Aina.

Torino are considering pulling the trigger on an £7million option to make Chelsea man Aina's loan move permanent.

Aina, who spent last season on loan at Hull, signed a new deal at Stamford Bridge until 2021 in the summer before setting off to Turin for this campaign.

He has impressed new manager Walter Mazzarri, playing 11 games, and Goal.com says they could exercise an option to keep him with the club on a permanent basis.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 2:17am On Nov 27, 2018
AFCON 2019: Rohr Contacts Huddersfield’s Billing For Nigeria Switch

By Johnny Edward:
Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr has hinted that contact has been made with Huddersfield Town midfielder, Philip Billing to pledge his allegiance to Nigeria ahead of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

Philip Billing has been one of Huddersfield Town’s standout players this season in the English Premier League and has featured in all 13 games for the club this season.

The highly rated 22-year-old is eligible to represent the Super Eagles by his parentage roots. He was born in Denmark and has already featured for the Danish U-19 and U-21 teams.

Rohr disclosed during an exclusive interview with CSN on Monday that there were other several exciting players on his watch list aside Philip Billing who could also switch nationality to Nigeria, but said that they must feel the motivation to feature for the three-time African champions.

Since Rohr took charge of the Super Eagles in 2016, the Franco-German coach has lured three players of dual nationality to play for Nigeria.
The players include Ola Aina, Tyronne Ebuehi and Bryan Idowu.
“One of my assistants leaving in England saw him (Billing) and spoke with him,” Rohr told only CSN in Lagos on Monday.
“There was a good contact but also we feel we have to be very cautious because the English Federation does not want to lose these players, we have to understand that also.
“The players have been formed and their academy work was done there (England) – the entire job done there. Now when the player is adult he says goodbye – I go with Nigeria. Not all those cases are pleasant. We have lots of cases like that in France with lots of Algerian players.”
“Lots of players l grew up in France and then they go to Algeria. It’s not easy to accept that.
“But they must really be motivated and excited to come with us. we will not push.”
“We can find players in the midfield, attack and in defence as well.”

Source : Completesports Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Clementoke(m): 2:49am On Nov 27, 2018
With first half done, Gernot Rohr seeks glorious encore
By Christian Okpara

There are indications that Gernot Rohr wants to be remembered for several good things after his tour of duty in Nigeria.
One of such is his successful effort at lifting the Super Eagles from a fallen side, which could not qualify for two straight African Nations Cup competitions, to a giant of world football close to the height it achieved in 1994, when the team was rated as the best five in the world.

Since he became Super Eagles’ Manager in August 2016, the Franco-German has been slowly, but steadily building a team of young players, which he believes will in no distant time fulfill the dreams of Nigerian football fans for a sturdy side.

While insisting that the future is bright, the Super Eagles’ coach says that that future is beginning to unravel with the Nigerian team setting some records, including being the first African side to qualify for the Russia 2018 World Cup and also qualifying for the 2019 African Nations Cup with a game to spare.

Rohr recently signed a new contract with the Nigeria Football Federation (NFF) that will see him leading the country to the Qatar 2022 World. He said his target for now is to achieve a glorious encore in his stay with the Eagles.

Speaking at a Sports Editors’ Roundtable, tagged ‘Peak Breakfast with Rohr,’ organised by HS Media Group, owners of the HotSports brand and sponsored by Friesland Campina, makers of Peak Milk, Rohr projects that the next few months are crucial to country’s aspirations, especially at the 2019 African Nations Cup.

He adds that the quality of players available for selection in the Super Eagles has given him the belief that better days are ahead for his team, stressing: “I have achieved 70 per cent of what we set out to do from the onset. There is room still for improvement, but there is a bright future, because more young players are coming with more qualities, more fighting spirit and enthusiasm, which is what I like in my teams.

“I see a player like Alex Iwobi and the joy he shows when playing football. I see the joy in Kalu and Chukwueze… the enthusiasm they bring to football, the joy to play and the readiness to work for the team.
“The situation we have now is that even when a particular player is not around due to injury or suspension, the person replacing him brings the same spirit to the team. But there is still a lot of work to do… to make fewer mistakes in the defence. But I think we are on the right path.”

However, Rohr admits that his team still needs improvement in all the departments, saying the goalkeeping department is an area he needs to do more work on.

He stated: “Our goalkeeper is still young and needs more experience. You cannot be perfect in this area at the young age, but he is working hard everyday to improve.

“Our defence is also not at the level we want. Balogun is not playing in his club, which is not good for us. I hope he gets more chance to play. We have to look at ways to fortify the defence. Fortunately, we have found a good left back in Jamilu Collins. He is giving us satisfaction.

“I think we need more legs in the midfield. We have John Ogu, who is very powerful and decisive. We have the young Etebor, who is playing in Stoke, but he has to improve much more. We saw Mikel Agu, who did well in Asaba.

“Ighalo’s return has done well for us. But we are still searching for good players upfront. We don’t have players in the mould of Jay Jay Okocha, Rashidi Yekini, Finidi George or Sunday Oliseh, but we have a good team. We are open to better players because we have to improve on every department.”

Rohr is happy that his players have shown tremendous appetite for hard work and sacrifice, which he said could only lead to success. He explains that the team is blessed with quality leaders, who have made the task of coordinating the squad easy for the technical crew.

“Musa’s leadership of the team has worked very well because he brings the right spirit to the group, which is very important. He is a younger man than Mikel with a different mentality.

The captain is very important because he can help me to bring to the team not only the right spirit, but also the right organisation on the pitch and off it.

“We spend about 22 hours of the day and perhaps two hours on the pitch. He also helps in the hotel and in the travelling, which is very important.

“Mikel is also a fantastic captain. He brings a certain calm to the team and the players respect for what he has achieved. We are blessed because in his absence Musa has done well. Even if Musa is not around we have our third captain, Troost-Ekong, who is also a very good character and an example for all these young players we have now.”

Rohr reveals that Alex Iwobi is now his playmaker, the real number 10, adding that the Arsenal man’s vision and ability to dictate play will be crucial for the team going forward.

He adds, “Chukwueze wore number 10 jersey in Asaba because the jersey was available

“A lot of people were very surprised that I invited him, but he is doing well in Villarreal. He is left footed and that is good for us. Kelechi Iheanacho was the only attacking left footer in our team.
“In the past, we even played some matches without a left footer, which is not good. When you play a game without at least one left-footer, there is always a problem.

There is a law in football that you must have at least one. With Collins, Kelechi, Ogu and Chukwueze we now have good competition in the squad.

“What we need is a good cocktail from all of them, right, left foot and people that can also head the ball.
We have four wingers already in Chukwueze, Kalu, Musa and Simon Moses. We are lucky to have left footers now, who can cross very well. Today we see left footers playing in the right wing and crossing the game very well.”

One of the questions Rohr have been asked often is his seeming neglect of players from the local league, with his team made up of almost 95 per cent foreign-based players. The coach disagrees that he has no regard for local players, adding that he rather prefers players who are active and can add to his squad.

“You know we have had at least 20 local players from the local league since I became manager here. But the problem is that after one game they all run to Europe. Stephen Ezeh, Stephen Odey, Alhassan and a host of others.

“Sometimes we see that some people want local players in the team because they want to sell them to Europe. That is not what we want. We only look out for the quality of the players.

“But it is so difficult to have local players in the Eagles when they are not playing. You have a situation where for three or four months the players are not playing because the league has been halted abruptly. We are not in the national team to keep people fit, but we need people who are fit to play.

“We also need better infrastructure in the country to make the players better. To even play our matches there are not enough good pitches. The clubs don’t have pitches. Everywhere there is lack of infrastructure, especially pitches.

“The clubs don’t have junior teams. There must be U-20 teams, U-17 teams owned by clubs with good coaches to teach them the right way to play. If there is a regular league, better training for young players and better infrastructure, the players will also become better.

“The problem is that there is so much inconsistency. The league has not been active so the players cannot be scouted because you cannot invite players who are not active. We want to see the local players in the CHAN team, U-23 team etc. But I think President Pinnick, Seyi and Dikko know what we want and I am sure they are working on it.”

On the belief that he waits for far too long to make changes, he said switching players depends on the situation and the collective decision with his assistants. “Against Argentina at the World Cup, I wanted to bring in Iwobi for Musa, but my assistants, who were upstairs analysing the game, advised against that.

They told me that the Argentine defenders were afraid of Musa and changing him would be counterproductive, so I waited. Perhaps, I should have gone ahead to effect the change.

“We change according to situations and also, we know that something can happen to change the dynamics of a game, like a red card to the goalkeeper happening when you have already made all the changes. That means you cannot bring another goalkeeper and would be forced to play without a goalkeeper.”

Rohr thanked the Delta State government for providing the Stephen Keshi Stadium, which he says will complement the Godswill Akpabio Stadium and the Adokie Aimeisimaka Stadium in Port Harcourt as Super Eagles match venues.

He, however, advised the Delta State government to work on certain aspect of the stadium to make it perfect for games.

“The players prefer good grass pitches all the time. The Asaba stadium is a brand new one, the grass is only six months old and is not yet of top quality. We spoke with the grass man in Asaba on how to cut the grass and he promised to do it well and then take away the old grass and not leave it on the pitch.

“Everybody saw that the ball was not bouncing very well in the game against Uganda. They need better equipment for rolling the grass. We had very warm welcome from the people and the governor. That is why we need to go to other venues to play so that Nigerians in different cities will see their team.

“But I think the players believe Uyo is the best pitch in the country. This is also what I believe. It is a stadium where you can have access to the dressing room without hassles. In Asaba, it was difficult to get into the stadium. For the first time in my long career, I had to come down from the bus to try to see that people left the entrance so that the bus could enter. So, the Asaba stadium needs better organisation, better access to the stadium. In Uyo we have all of that. It is a World Cup stadium, but it is good that other states are building good stadia so that they can host the Eagles.”

The coach laments that Nigeria is the only country that does not play important matches in the federal capital and big commercial cities like Lagos. He adds, “We cannot play in Abuja because the stadium is not good. There is a stadium, but there is no good grass. And it is not too costly to construct good grass pitches.

“I will also like to play in Lagos. I saw the national stadium in Lagos but there is no grass. Lagos should be able to receive the Super Eagles and other national teams.”

On the allegation that his team has no defined pattern, Rohr says, “We play collective football. The World Cup taught us that possession does not win matches. We want to go straight to goal, with vertical passes, quickly and we want to give our strikers a lot of time to be creative in their approach.

“When we lose the ball, everybody has to fight to get it back through pressing. We have quick players and we have this fast kind of play. We have scored a lot of goals, even though not lately. That is why we need quality players. The strikers can dribble and also play for the team.”

On players changing allegiance to Nigeria, Rohr says the decision must come from the players, who must write to their current federations indicating they want to switch to Nigeria.

“In Ola Aina’s case it took eight months because in UK four federations in the country must decide. It is easier with other countries like Germany and Austria. I spoke with Kevin Akpoguma’s father and he said Kevin should make the decision himself. And Kevin told me he is not ready yet.

“Ademola Lukman and Solanke are not convinced. They have not made up their minds so we will allow then to decide. We will go back to them later, but we cannot force anybody to play for us. It is very important decisions for them to make. Noah Bazee is also on our radar.”

Rohr dismissed the claim by some pundits that his team struggles when faced with physical sides, as demonstrated by the last match against Uganda and that the Eagles cannot cope with the robust African football they will face at the Cameroun 2019 African Nations Cup. He says the solution lies in preparing well for the competition.

“We need to get another physical coach not only to work when we are in camp, but also to go to the clubs and work with players who need help.

“Sometimes our players need individual coaching. Now we have Tyrone Ebuehi, who is coming back from injury, we sent a coach to work with him. We did it with Uzoho when he wasn’t playing for Deportivo before the World Cup.

“At the World Cup, we played against physical sides like Iceland and we were ready. It is important to be fit physically and now that we will have three weeks to prepare for Cameroun, we will be ready.”

Rohr rates Nigeria as the most passionate football-loving nation than all the other countries he has coached. He admits that sometimes the passion could be taken too far, but he is happy that the NFF has given him free hand to do his job.

“This passion comes with pressure from the people. But I have never had this pressure from the NFF. We had a technical committee that became difficult to work with after the loss to South Africa last year.

“They wanted to do our job for us because we lost that game. That was the only moment when we felt they tried to influence our choices. But the current technical committee is different. They allow us to do our job. We are working with good people now. Before we make our list, I consult my assistants, my staff and scouts and sometimes the medical staff. We send our list to the technical committee and they always approve the list. It is also in my contract and the present committee respects it.”

On his relationship with Ogenyi Onazi and the absence of the Turkey-based team from his squad lately, Rohr said it was all down to medical issues.

He adds, “Onazi’s case is very simple, he has inflammation of the tendon. In Uyo, he told us honestly that he can only play with injections. I spoke with the doctor and the doctor said it was a big risk for the team and also for the player. So, we explained it to Onazi that we cannot do that. I have to take care of my players’ welfare, that is why I agreed that it is better for him to treat himself than risk the injury. But we were surprised when we saw that he played a game soon after in his club. I told him it is a big risk for him. Like everybody he is part of the team. Some clubs do these injections, but our medical people refused to do that, and I am with them on that.”

On his obvious humility and ability to stay away from scandals, Rohr attributes it to education and upbringing. “I had a wonderful father and seven siblings. So I learnt to share and be accommodating. He was a teacher and also a coach. He told us that the first thing you must have in life is humility to be able to share and to respect other people.

“I was born after the Second World War when life was not easy, but we learnt to adapt to situations.”

On his relationship with the NFF, especially on welfare issues, Rohr said Nigeria has been a good employer, adding, however, that money is not the most important thing in his relationship with Nigeria.

“In other African countries, I had to wait for some months before the money will come. But I know that when the work is well done the money will come. That was what I tell the players that if the money didn’t come immediately, lets work well first to attract the money.

“Before I came here, I heard so many negative things about the country, but I wanted to find out things myself and draw my own opinion about the country. It is so far positive. My contract has not been respected 100 per cent, but I know it will be respected fully.”

Rohr wants a situation where he will have access to the other national teams to help develop a collective approach to the game, saying he has written to the NFF on that.

“I have proposed to the NFF to have a meeting with the coaches of the junior teams so that we can talk and have one philosophy for all the teams. I think the board will grant our demand.

“We had a good relationship with the CHAN team because Yusuf Salisu, my assistant, was its coach. Imama is also in my team and I hope he will be in charge of the U-23 team. Sometimes, we have very young players who are not ready for the Super Eagles, so we need a situation where we can send them to the U-23 team or the U-20. We should have a good communication with all the teams.”

Rohr reveals that he plans to play five friendly games before the Nations Cup next year, adding, however, “we want to choose the opponents very well. We will play two games in March, one being the last qualifier against Seychelles.

“We have to go to teams to speak with the players, their coaches and scouts. We want to see the results of the tests they did on our players and know the approach we should adopt for every individual player.”

Source : The Guardian

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 6:02am On Nov 27, 2018
Clementoke:
AFCON 2019: Rohr Contacts Huddersfield’s Billing For Nigeria Switch

By Johnny Edward:
Super Eagles coach Gernot Rohr has hinted that contact has been made with Huddersfield Town midfielder, Philip Billing to pledge his allegiance to Nigeria ahead of the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations in Cameroon, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

Philip Billing has been one of Huddersfield Town’s standout players this season in the English Premier League and has featured in all 13 games for the club this season.

The highly rated 22-year-old is eligible to represent the Super Eagles by his parentage roots. He was born in Denmark and has already featured for the Danish U-19 and U-21 teams.

Rohr disclosed during an exclusive interview with CSN on Monday that there were other several exciting players on his watch list aside Philip Billing who could also switch nationality to Nigeria, but said that they must feel the motivation to feature for the three-time African champions.

Since Rohr took charge of the Super Eagles in 2016, the Franco-German coach has lured three players of dual nationality to play for Nigeria.
The players include Ola Aina, Tyronne Ebuehi and Bryan Idowu.
“One of my assistants leaving in England saw him (Billing) and spoke with him,” Rohr told only CSN in Lagos on Monday.
“There was a good contact but also we feel we have to be very cautious because the English Federation does not want to lose these players, we have to understand that also.
“The players have been formed and their academy work was done there (England) – the entire job done there. Now when the player is adult he says goodbye – I go with Nigeria. Not all those cases are pleasant. We have lots of cases like that in France with lots of Algerian players.”
“Lots of players l grew up in France and then they go to Algeria. It’s not easy to accept that.
“But they must really be motivated and excited to come with us. we will not push.”
“We can find players in the midfield, attack and in defence as well.”

Source : Completesports Nigeria

It will be good but rohr is too slow sha

He will be paired with ndidi

(1) (2) (3) ... (5172) (5173) (5174) (5175) (5176) (5177) (5178) ... (16252) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Yachambliss(m), sureleads, ThanosKilla(m), jihday(m) and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.