Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,360 members, 7,864,680 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 12:11 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (5441) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11954048 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5438) (5439) (5440) (5441) (5442) (5443) (5444) ... (16371) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 5:08pm On Jan 27, 2019
Kog45:
Siasia is good but remember that we failed to qualify for 2012 due to Eguavoen inept against Guinea in Conakry.Oiseh left the team when it matter most in 2017 and Siasia took over.Pls give Siasia eagles job from the scratch and see a solid team.

Boss,point of correction,1986 AFCON was hosted by Egypt and i remember we lost to Zambia by 1 nil and drew at home in 1985 and this nailed our participation.

egbon siasia flopped twice in that regard...
you don't expect anyone to Give you the super eagles job easily...
you've to fight for it... he failed to seize one of those opportunities to get the job...

that was what happened to zidane... he seized the opportunity and cement his grip on the job same way Oliver solkjaser is doing with Manchester united...
though there different scenarios...
I am just sayn...SiaONE have no excuses..

he messed up

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 5:10pm On Jan 27, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

No one would take such risk on such dire system of Puel.

Finito.

Boring and defensive are two different things

Besides Puel is a possession based coach
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 5:11pm On Jan 27, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Inference, far-fetched. It is about getting the logic.

Maybe you should use simpler real life terms so that I can understand you
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:11pm On Jan 27, 2019
Kog45:
Siasia is good but remember that we failed to qualify for 2012 due to Eguavoen inept against Guinea in Conakry.Oiseh left the team when it matter most in 2017 and Siasia took over.Pls give Siasia eagles job from the scratch and see a solid team.

Boss,point of correction,1986 AFCON was hosted by Egypt and i remember we lost to Zambia by 1 nil and drew at home in 1985 and this nailed our participation.

My bad. Egypt hosted and won it in 1986. CIV hosted in 1984.

Yes Siasia took over from Eguavoen from the third game. We were 3pts behind Guinea then. Even going into the last game we were still behind Guinea with 3pts. We earlier lost 1 nil in conakry but Guinea opened scoring in Abuja. And so the permutations were if we win Guinea 2-1 we qualify but not as group leader but as one of the best second placed teams. We win 3-1 we qualify as group winners. At 2-1 we were cruising to the AFCON along with Guinea but Siasia failed to secure what he had first and was trying to get a 3rd. That Guinea equalizer was a swift counter attack. Aiyenugba failed us that day and that was his last game.

An experienced coach would have known how to deal with that kind of situation. Siasia's inexperience was really exposed. He was good as a youth team coach but not as a senior coach. We took a Gamble and it back-fired against us

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:11pm On Jan 27, 2019
Earthquake1:

Boring and defensive are two different things

Besides Puel is a possession based coach

Which no one will take that kind of risk on.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:14pm On Jan 27, 2019
Humility017:

egbon siasia flopped twice in that regard...
you don't expect anyone to Give you the super eagles job easily...
you've to fight for it... he failed to seize one of those opportunities to get the job...

that was what happened to zidane... he seized the opportunity and cement his grip on the job same way Oliver solkjaser is doing with Manchester united...
though there different scenarios...
I am just sayn...SiaONE have no excuses..

he messed up

Siasia needed time. Simple. He had the right strategy but has always been limited to a short time to turn the team around. If we continue with such route, we will not get back to become the formidable side we can be.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:16pm On Jan 27, 2019
Earthquake1:

Maybe you should use simpler real life terms so that I can understand you

I used simple terms all day. Rohr has achieved small gains but the team is growing at a snail pace because we can not face tough sides in brave fashions.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by busky007: 5:18pm On Jan 27, 2019
Earthquake1:

Liverpool has spent up to 400 million since Klopp arrived and Leicester city has lost their key players so what are you talking about?
are u sure of ur figure and remember that we lost key players (countinho ,Solanke
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrew444(m): 5:18pm On Jan 27, 2019
mostob:
gbam! exactly my thought. .and some people here want us to go and prostrate and beg him to play for us.

Not at all, if he said he want to play for naija he should not be rejected

But for we to beg him is a big NO NO
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:20pm On Jan 27, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

It is an inference. We would prefer winning the World Cup in the next ten years if it means giving up qualifying for tournaments.

I am not saying it is an ideal scenario it shows the essence of sacrifice of small gains for big gains.

Thar is tge problem. U cannot be giving up qualfying for tournaments because u want to win the WC. You need those tournaments to build your team towards winning the WC.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:24pm On Jan 27, 2019
Icon4s:

Thar is tge problem. U cannot be giving up qualfying for tournaments because u want to win the WC. You need those tournaments to build your team towards winning the WC.

Like we need AFCON to qualify for World Cup.

The point is simple. To give a coach time to build a formidable side, we need tk prepare ourselves to sacrifice a tournament of two. It does not mean we will not qualify or must not qualify but we must put that at the back of our minds.

Compensate those losses with top friendly games but make sure our play improves at an impressive rate.

As long as the quality of the team improves, we time we would see ourselves achieving results.

Relying on just qualifying as the yardstick and sacking those who fail to qualify has gotten us no where. Rohr has qualified but our quality seems dross.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 5:29pm On Jan 27, 2019
busky007:
are u sure of ur figure and remember that we lost key players (countinho ,Solanke

Solanke is a key player grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 5:30pm On Jan 27, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Which no one will take that kind of risk on.

You are flying off on a tangent
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 5:31pm On Jan 27, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

I used simple terms all day. Rohr has achieved small gains but the team is growing at a snail pace because we can not face tough sides in brave fashions.

What then is your idea of big gain?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 5:33pm On Jan 27, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

The point is simple. To give a coach time to build a formidable side, we need tk prepare ourselves to sacrifice a tournament of two. It does not mean we will not qualify or must not qualify but we must put that at the back of our minds.

Compensate those losses with top friendly games but make sure our play improves at an impressive rate.

As long as the quality of the team improves, we time we would see ourselves achieving results.

Relying on just qualifying as the yardstick and sacking those who fail to qualify has gotten us no where. Rohr has qualified but our quality seems dross.

Can you name a national team coach that followed such yardstick

Or are you just fantasizing?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:34pm On Jan 27, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Participating in the 2017 AFCON would have helped our team better.

One of the major set backs for the '98 WC team was not participating in the 1998 AFCON. That was where we would have spotted our lack or quality goal keepers for one.

But this was just 1 tournament and staying out of tournaments for 10 years? Hell no.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 5:37pm On Jan 27, 2019
Earthquake1:

Can you name a national team coach that followed such yardstick

Or are you just fantasizing?

You don't know he is a text book coach? The coaching book that coach Monday Sinclair passed down to him grin

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 5:51pm On Jan 27, 2019
mostob:
This is exactly my point. we should give those at our reach their chance before going for those beyond our reach
Lolll

then siasia is not a good coach...
severally amodu was called in to qualify the super eagles and he was never found wanting in those regard...

same way Oliver Gunar...is doing with Manchester united...the few matches he has anchored he drew or lost none...
someone like siasia will lose even the first match and thereafter cry that he was never given enough time....

that's a lame excuse...a coach ought to have an emergency tactics just to bail him out when necessary....He even claim against guinea that he never knew that drawing that match would have qualified the super eagles...

to show how ignorant he is...he was so unprepared for the super eagles...and still not prepared up till now...

he believes his only way to be a successful coach is by having to coach the super eagles...
amunike has learn move out of his comfort done got a job elsewhere and he is doing fine though currently going through son rough paths...
but siasia still waiting for the super eagles job...
please let's shelve this discussion...even ogunbote is far ahead of him now...I will prefer him to siasia
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 5:52pm On Jan 27, 2019
Goodjoe u mean Nigeria should not qualify for a single tournament in 10 years ? Nigerians are not that patient infact they can burn down NFF headquarters.. Egypt didn't qualify for any world cup in decades when they did last year they played rubbish

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 5:55pm On Jan 27, 2019
appointing siasia now will take us back the days of my boys your boys

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by opes: 6:02pm On Jan 27, 2019
Congratulations to Sunshine Stars, the Owena waves for the away win...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 6:07pm On Jan 27, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

True. Babatunde was preferred ahead of Aluko for the World Cup. A lot of critics felt Aluko should have been called up for the creative role. Many did not expect such performance for Babatunde but the young man delivered.

I can assure you it was not Babatunde that caused Aluko to be dropped but he kept quite and his silence became consent, he was dropped because he refused to play ball.

With a certain bullish coach who wanted Aluko to engage his preferred agent and that refusal by Aluko essentially saw him frozen out.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 6:10pm On Jan 27, 2019
Siasia is a good attacking coach but his selection proceess is one of the most shady, i have seen.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SlayerForever: 6:27pm On Jan 27, 2019
bobobooge:

I am glad you have commented from an unbiased angle. I love that.

That Rohr factor is what they have denied or tried to water down.

According to thegoodjoe,

"Rohr is getting more praise than he deserves"

That sounds like a travesty.

Because we all know our story before Rohr came in.

They have even gone ahead and criticized his style of game.

They said Libya and SA shit on us grin

These to me are arguments I cannot leave to fly without countering.

Rohr so far has one of the best records qualifying us for the WC and AFCON.

Today we can boast of beating top African teams by margins of 3-0 or 4-0. Just a while back many of us would not dream of this.

I am one of the ardent supporters of Rohr's conservative approaches I.e vs SA.

We have seen adventurous coaches I.e Siasia throw away qualifications (2012) because they do not know how to be conservative when necessary.

Rohr's conservative approach has built us into a massive defensive machine. One of our problems in recent past. Rohr's team even work on defending set pieces.

I dare way we are on the right track with Rohr and the team he is building will be a tough but to crack come 2022.

Glory 2022! WC on an African soil, Nigeria! grin

Bros gi na Charlesemeka nokwa form o.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by SlayerForever: 6:31pm On Jan 27, 2019
Icon4s:

Well, I seem to have found a co-apostle of Rohr's conservatism.

Believe it or not, it is this Rohr's conservative approach which also reflects on his players selection and game management that have earned us easy qualifications. A coach is supposed to know when to come all out and also when to go conservative. Of all our Indegenous coaches the one closest to Rohr in terms of approach was late Amodu Shuaibu. Amodu's game plan was "even if u don't win don't lose". He twice qualified Nigeria for the WC from very pittyful positions.

Rohr may not be much gifted tactically but still he has been able to achieve results mostly through man management and also game management. I have once clamored for the NFF to employ a tactician as they did for Westerhof. And I will still clamor for it again.

As per the 2022WC I don't want to stick out my neck yet as per expectations. I would like to see this team play in this year's AFCON first. And then the WC qualifiers before the 2021 AFCON and so on. I so much pray for the Success of our 2019 U20 and 2020 Olympics teams. They are part of the players that we will be looking up to come 2022.

Bolded - Gospel.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 6:35pm On Jan 27, 2019
Chuba Akpom with a brace
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 6:36pm On Jan 27, 2019
I just realized something:10 years from now is 2029,using TheGoodJoe's 'imaginary' plan we won't even be able to win the 2022 world cup

grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Earthquake1: 6:53pm On Jan 27, 2019
... We wouldn't even win the 2026 world cup

grin grin grin I'm dying

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 6:59pm On Jan 27, 2019
andrew444:

Not at all, if he said he want to play for naija he should not be rejected
But for we to beg him is a big NO NO
exactly my insinuation

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 7:07pm On Jan 27, 2019
Kog45:

I was shocked when he said Sia1 took charge of the entire qualification campaign because no one has ever given Sia1 that spot. I remember he took over from someone in 2012, thank you for reminding us all but here he is saying Sia1 should be sacked for failing to qualify when the job was already difficult and without enough time, but then when we ask why our dear SE were so poor in the world cup he will say Rohr needs time, double standards at it's peak
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 7:13pm On Jan 27, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

I do not remember Mikel thriving in AM role under Amodu Shuaibu, if he did, Kudos and a big praise to him.

However, before Keshi, Mikel was restricted to playing as the man shielding the defence. Under Keshi, Mikel did not only orchestrate our play but was the top passer of the tournament.

Now tell me Keshi does not deserve praise.

Finito.
Mikel had good games as an AM with us under Amodu. At AFCON 08, he was one of the few players that gave a good account of himself. During the WC qualifiers under Amodu, he was good too.
I remember Amodu saying he was versatile and had the intelligence to adjust to playing AM for us and DM for Chelsea.
You can credit Keshi with rejuvenating his NT career when it looked like he was on the wane - but I wouldn't say he utilized him the best as an AM when he mostly played as a DLP under him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by edi287: 7:16pm On Jan 27, 2019
ChrisKels:

Then, u didn't get the question. The question was if we should go ask Tammy to join our Afcon party - answer is NO.
I don't think anyone said we should. We was said is he's talented to make our afcon squad at the moment.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5438) (5439) (5440) (5441) (5442) (5443) (5444) ... (16371) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Philosopher1979, immobilare(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.