Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,085 members, 7,821,746 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (5479) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11710307 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5476) (5477) (5478) (5479) (5480) (5481) (5482) ... (16162) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:46pm On Feb 03, 2019
Mickael2:

For goodness sake Arsenal was defending, Iwobi was not inside the box, he was at the edge of the box trying to hold off Laporte which is what a RM does, the FB goes with the WF while the RM sticks with the opposing full back, there is nothing new about it, how is that down to work rate

Do you know the intense work rate of Sterling and Laporte on that flank? I doubt you have a clue hence you think a decent team would do better as for you.

Answer. If Iwobi’s work rate did not count, why was Silva having acres of space when Iwobi left?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:47pm On Feb 03, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

They did not have to deal with as much pressure as Iwobi, hence they did not put in as much work rate as Iwobi.

The point is too simple. Iwobi put in more work than most players on that field.

And yet on top of all that work rate two of the goals came from Iwobi's side.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 11:48pm On Feb 03, 2019
Mickael2:

True, I would have him on 5 with Iwobi but probably becsue he didn't have a direct hand in any goal. Although you could point out his fault for that second goal.
At some point,I thought Litch. was playing CB...Iwobi rarely set foot in city's box .. Losing the ball early must have affected his confidence...

But the biggest blame should go to Emery.. The man is yet to settle down at arsenal! He doesn't have a regular starting eleven or formation at all... I'm beginning to have doubts about his abilities
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:49pm On Feb 03, 2019
Mickael2:

They did not work half as hard as Iwobi yet they got better defensive numbers than Iwobi. So it is either Iwobi was running around like a headless chicken in defence, all running no end product or Iwobi didn't work hasl as hard as they did. So which one is it??

Don't tell me he was covering spaces, because if you cover spaces you must have at least one interception bro

Were Lacazette and Aubameyang pressing City? You yourself said the City defenders were not tested. We're they tracking back to help the defence? No. But to you they were putting in more work rate than Iwobi who was repeatedly on the hitting end of the attacks.

Leave abeg the young man tried in an Arsenal team who could not deal with the brilliance of the City.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:50pm On Feb 03, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Do you know the intense work rate of Sterling and Laporte on that flank? I doubt you have a clue hence you think a decent team would do better as for you.

Answer. If Iwobi’s work rate did not count, why was Silva having acres of space when Iwobi left?

Naturally when you are losing and you introduce a player he is there to attack. Not to mention that it is perfectly normal that spaces open up late into every game. Normal stuff
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:50pm On Feb 03, 2019
Mickael2:

And yet on top of all that work rate two of the goals came from Iwobi's side.

Leichsteiner's side. I thought you said Iwobi was not a defender. Now you see the work rate he put in till people are calling it his side.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:51pm On Feb 03, 2019
Mickael2:

Naturally when you are losing and you introduce a player he is there to attack. Not to mention that it is perfectly normal that spaces open up late into every game. Normal stuff

They were not testing the defence. So what were they attacking?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:51pm On Feb 03, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Were Lacazette and Aubameyang pressing City? You yourself said the City defenders were not tested. We're they tracking back to help the defence? No. But to you they were putting in more work rate than Iwobi who was repeatedly on the hitting end of the attacks.

Leave abeg the young man tried in an Arsenal team who could not deal with the brilliance of the City.

That is entirely down to the coach. He didn't organise the team to press high up the pitch so Auba and Lacazzete will disobey the coach and start pressing high
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:52pm On Feb 03, 2019
Mickael2:

I did not say space. I said acres of space. Like 1 plot of land. If it was normal,
an Arsenal defender won't be complaining.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:53pm On Feb 03, 2019
Mickael2:

That is entirely down to the coach. He didn't organise the team to press high up the pitch so Auba and Lacazzete will disobey the coach and start pressing high

They were not pressing they were not defending. You can see why I said Iwobi put in more work rate than them?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:53pm On Feb 03, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Leichsteiner's side. I thought you said Iwobi was not a defender. Now you see the work rate he put in till people are calling it his side.

Oga the right side is their side, a RB and a RM occupies the right side. One marks the opposing winger while the other marks the opposing full back. So. It is Iwobi's side na. And they conceded twice, so how is that a good thing for Iwobi??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 11:55pm On Feb 03, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

They were not pressing they were not defending. You can see why I said Iwobi put in more work rate than them?

Oga your sentiments worse pass I dey go sleep. But before I go I want to ask you a final question. Do you think Iwobi will make it into any top four team in Spain, England, Italy, Germany or even France? Name the club and tell me the winger there that he is better than
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:58pm On Feb 03, 2019
Mickael2:

Oga your sentiments worse pass I dey go sleep. But before I go I want to ask you a final question. Do you think Iwobi will make it into any top four team in Spain, England, Italy, Germany or even France? Name the club and tell me the winger there that he is better than

Will Lacazette make it?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:59pm On Feb 03, 2019
Mickael2:

Oga the right side is their side, a RB and a RM occupies the right side. One marks the opposing winger while the other marks the opposing full back. So. It is Iwobi's side na. And they conceded twice, so how is that a good thing for Iwobi??

The defensive area is the side it happened. That is not Iwobi’s side.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 12:00am On Feb 04, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Will Lacazette make it?

Does that change my point that Iwobi is an average player?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:02am On Feb 04, 2019
Mickael2:

Does that change my point that Iwobi is an average player?

Lichtsteiner 4/10 | Both goals from crosses on his side. Woefully caught out of position for the City second. Nowhere near good enough.
https://www.arsenalstation.com/2019/02/03/player-ratings-man-city-3-1-arsenal-lichtsteiner-iwobi-woeful-for-gunners/

You can see it was not Iwobi’s side. Iwobi was forced to help an under performance Lichtsteiner who had no idea of how to deal with the attacks of City.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 12:04am On Feb 04, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Lichtsteiner 4/10 | Both goals from crosses on his side. Woefully caught out of position for the City second. Nowhere near good enough.
https://www.arsenalstation.com/2019/02/03/player-ratings-man-city-3-1-arsenal-lichtsteiner-iwobi-woeful-for-gunners/

Iwobi got 4.5 too. OK Lichsteiner was worse than him, so he was not the worst player on the pitch, he was the second worst player on the pitch. Why didn't you post the entire ratings?? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 12:05am On Feb 04, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

You can see it was not Iwobi’s side. Iwobi was forced to help an under performance Lichtsteiner who had no idea of how to deal with the attacks of City.

Bro it was Iwobi's side, read Iwobi's rating from the same website you referenced.

Back to my goodnight question, does this in anyway mean that Iwobi is not average??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:06am On Feb 04, 2019
Mickael2:

Iwobi got 4.5 too. OK Lichsteiner was worse than him, so he was not the worst player on the pitch, he was the second worst player on the pitch. Why didn't you post the entire ratings?? grin

I did not say Iwobi was brilliant. I pointed out why and explained it was down to the brilliance of City.

The point is too simple. Iwobi will get the poor rating because of losing that ball.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 12:07am On Feb 04, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Here is the ratings for Iwobi, Lacazzete and Auba from the same site. Note: Lacazzete worked his socks off. Nothing was mentioned about Iwobi working hard.

Iwobi 4.5/10 | At fault for the early opener after giving away possession cheaply and offered very little going forward.

Lacazette 6.5/10 | Worked his socks off in the first half but tired after the break. Very little to feed off in the box.

Aubameyang 5/10 | No service at all. Close to getting in behind a couple of times but the pass was just too strong.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:07am On Feb 04, 2019
Mickael2:

Bro it was Iwobi's side, read Iwobi's rating from the same website you referenced.

Back to my goodnight question, does this in anyway mean that Iwobi is not average??

Time will judge that one. So far this season, Iwobi has been one of the bright stars for Arsenal.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 12:08am On Feb 04, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

I did not say Iwobi was brilliant. I pointed out why and explained it was down to the brilliance of City.

The point is too simple. Iwobi will get the poor rating because of losing that ball.

OK let us come back. So two goals went in through Iwobi's side, Iwobi blatantly caused one of the goals while Lichsteiner was at fault for not tracking Sterling. So that means factually Iwobi caused one goal and Iwobi caused the other, so what is all this rubbish about work rate??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 12:09am On Feb 04, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Time will judge that one. So far this season, Iwobi has been one of the bright stars for Arsenal.

Is he average or not??
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:10am On Feb 04, 2019
Mickael2:

Here is the ratings for Iwobi, Lacazzete and Auba from the same site. Note: Lacazzete worked his socks off. Nothing was mentioned about Iwobi working hard.

Iwobi 4.5/10 | At fault for the early opener after giving away possession cheaply and offered very little going forward.

Lacazette 6.5/10 | Worked his socks off in the first half but tired after the break. Very little to feed off in the box.

Aubameyang 5/10 | No service at all. Close to getting in behind a couple of times but the pass was just too strong.

I have explained to you why. Lacazette was not on the end of our ferocious attacks. So he will not get poor ratings. Iwobi also worked his socks off but will not get a good rating because of the ball he lost.

Before I pointed it out, no one saw how poor Lichtsteiner was and how much cover Iwobi was doing for him. The young man tried.

Finito.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:11am On Feb 04, 2019
Mickael2:

Is he average or not??

I will not call Iwobi average because to perform in such a team even when they are not doing well is not meant for an average player. Iwobi is far from average.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:13am On Feb 04, 2019
Mickael2:

OK let us come back. So two goals went in through Iwobi's side, Iwobi blatantly caused one of the goals while Lichsteiner was at fault for not tracking Sterling. So that means factually Iwobi caused one goal and Iwobi caused the other, so what is all this rubbish about work rate??

Hahaha.

So you agree that Lichtsteiner was useless and so because Iwobi is helping him out, he takes the blame for it.

Fantastic.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:15am On Feb 04, 2019
Mickael2:

Is he average or not??

Average players can not pass like Iwobi.
Average players do not have Iwobi’s kind of work rate.
Average players can not pull off the kind of dribbles Iwobi does. Heck. He is starting while Ozil and Ramsey benches. Ever wondered why? Or is Ozil average?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:17am On Feb 04, 2019
andrew444:

Which Epl tempo ? Mtscheew

Suarez is coming from the best league in the world so stop making Epl special

Suarez can't make city team because there are betters players than him
Oga this isnt about special anything.

Every league is unique in their own way. Once Suarez adapts, and stats prove him okay, then you can now begin to say such when comparing him and iwobi pls. Its just simple!!

meanwhile Arsenal fans are really impatient. can he be any form of messiah right now? a big capital NO!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 12:24am On Feb 04, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

Thank you. Also, did anyone notice that as soon as Iwobi left the field, David Silva had acres of space to cause damage. It was just that we did not take our chances.

People are tagging Iwobi as poor but there was something which he did well. His work rate was high and he helped the defence a lot.

I do not think it was a case of Iwobi being poor but Manchester City having a phenomenal game. They were brilliant today.

The cry for Ozil and Ramsey is another misconception. These guys can not play with the kind of intensity Emery wants. Apart from Toreira and Guendozi, Iwobi was the person I noticed in the Arsenal side put phenomenal work rate.

Apart from Toreira and Guendozi, the whole team looked average. I think that is enough sign to cut Iwobi some slack.

Finally, Dennis Suarez could not cause much damage too.

Someone will now think that taking sides with Iwobi is sentimental. mtchew.

He was asked to do stuff and he did just that save that first error. Guen was told to cover for Kola but Bernado kept getting behind his sorry hair. That team is average and at least let us all know that anymanager with stick with a dribbler than someone that only offers passes and backpasses.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dannyxy(m): 12:33am On Feb 04, 2019
I think it's clear that some people here just wait for opportunities to pull down our players...

We all know the truth grin

According to someone like mickeal2. Puel is doing a great job, and he his conservative style isn't to be blamed for iheanacho's predicament, afterall he is getting results, then he turns around in another argument to say, rohr is a bad tactician, and his conservative style is affecting the team play, we should forget his results..

What double standards, heh.. Lol..

Some of us, don't have the time to always argue here, but we started following this thread from the first day , and used to be active on this section, even before this thread was created , even before some of you joined or knew nairaland, now we are just serial readers, contributing opinions anytime we can.. I am just highlighting this fact, so someone here would not think that because he is always available here to argue and debate topics, he wouldn't be floored, if some of us decided to actually engage..

We are all learning at the end of the day..

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Dannyxy(m): 12:37am On Feb 04, 2019
TheGoodJoe:

How many times did you see Aubameyang and Lacazette in defence? It was Iwobi doing that. Will attempted tackles show how many times they were in defence.

Arsenal team were blown away due to Manchester City's brilliance. Not Iwobi.

The point is too simple.

Finito.
oga, you saw it, I actually join the game about some minutes into the game, and iwobi was stuck, trying to defend and defend, I thought he was playing wing back... Man city made arsenal stay put in their half... I was thoroughly embarrassed for arsenal, they were totally outplayed in all departments..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Eleniyan15: 12:39am On Feb 04, 2019
No sane person would blame iwobi for that goal
How can you call yourself a defender and you fail to clear your line rather you had to pass your winger who was choked!!!

Please cut iwobi some slack here!!!!!!

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (5476) (5477) (5478) (5479) (5480) (5481) (5482) ... (16162) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: dkay51(m), Ppogbae, TheGoodJoe(m), charlesemeka85(m), Theben(m) and 10 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.